Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Lost ❯ Trial and Honor ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Love Hina is the property of Ken Akamatzu, serialized in Japan by Kodansha, and in the USA by Tokyopop. All Love Hina characters and setting belong to their respective author/publisher/conglomerate. This is a derivative work of fiction, not for profit.
 
Constructive criticism, grammar, spelling and continuity corrections welcome.
*---
 
Chapter Two
Trial and Honor
 
Motoko sat cross-legged in the middle of her room, meditating. She had been that way for hours, skipping dinner to try and clear her head. Tsuruko Aoyama, the only person she would admit to being afraid of was coming to visit. She had known it was going to happen eventually, but she had not expected it this soon. It's not like I could have hid here forever… She'll probably ask me move back to the main home. She thought darkly. Eventually I'll go back, but it still seems too soon. She fell backwards, sighing, and stared at her ceiling. Her head hurt from thinking so much, and she decided to call it a night before it got any worse.
 
Keitaro was lying awake on his floor, looking out the window at the full moon. The cool fall air had filled his room, making it chilly, but he didn't mind. Motoko seemed afraid when I mentioned her sister was going to come visit. I wonder if they don't get along well… She never talks about her family or anything. Neither does anyone else, I suppose. Aunt Haruka is really the only `family' I really even talk to anymore...
An image of Haruka hitting him over the head with a newspaper flashed quickly through his head, and he involuntarily flinched. Blushing, he realized what had just happened, and smiled. Guess I really am everyone's punching bag sometimes… Laughing quietly to himself, he started to get ready for bed. Changing the wrap on his arm, he noted that the cut had stopped bleeding and was already starting to heal. It was only about 3 inches long, and just barely broke the skin, so he was not as worried as he had initially been. A little slower, and I'd be missing a hand now, he thought.
 
*---
 
Motoko woke before dawn the next morning, wanting to get an early start on her training. For her, one of the major advantages of waking up early was that everyone else slept late, and she could get some exercise on her own. Falling managers, sneaky plots, and daily life would not interrupt her for at least a few hours. Her daily forms and morning practice always gave her ample time to clear her head. With the events yesterday and her sister coming today, she wanted all the time she could get.
Donning her gi and hakama, she took Shisui and headed up the back stairs to the deck. After doing some light warm up stretching, she began to slowly run through some forms, deliberately concentrating on every move so that it was executed perfectly. Motoko danced back and forth across the wooden floor for the greater part of an hour, slaying hundreds of imaginary foes, while the sun gradually peaked over the horizon.
After finishing all of her forms, a voice spoke from up on top of the roof. “Very good, Motoko-chan! I see you've kept up with your practicing.”
Startled, Motoko spun around, looking at the part of the roof that extended slightly over the deck. “Aneue!” Motoko gasped, finding Tsuruko sitting in the middle of the inclined rooftop, outlined by the still rising sun. “How long have you been there?”
“Not long. How are you Motoko?” She smiled. “I suppose you're wondering why I'm here, but that can wait.” Tsuruko stood up and hopped down on to the deck. “I'd prefer to tell everyone at once.” Walking across the deck, she eyed Motoko critically. After a pause, she continued “For now, how about some real practice? I'm sure you haven't had anyone to spar with in quite some time.” A hungry grin flashed quickly across her lips, like a predator's smile, as she slowly withdrew her katana from the sheathe on her belt.
“Yes, that's fine,“ Motoko said nervously, her eyes not leaving the sword just drawn. Tsuruko was obviously the better fighter of the pair, and never went easy on Motoko, but Motoko really hadn't had a good match with anyone lately. Anticipation for the fight started to get to her. Even though she was certain she would lose, she started to get excited. Aneue is right, I haven't had a serious match in a while. This is hardly a fair fight, but it should be a good workout. Besides, she thought, it'll be a good chance to see if I've improved at all lately. “Shall we begin?” offered Tsuruko, and Motoko nodded in acceptance.
Both swordswomen adopted a fighting stance, katana drawn and held out around their midsection, ready for the other to make a move. Motoko decided to take the offensive and started with an overhand strike, which Tsuruko easily parried. Tsuruko followed up with a cut aimed for Motoko's stomach, which was easily blocked. The fight continued back and forth for quite some time, though Motoko knew that her sister was holding back. The two swordswoman struck and parried, dodged and countered countless strikes from the other, neither giving any ground. Motoko tried several new techniques only to find Tsuruko had dodged, parried, or anticipated all of them. Tsuruko pressed Motoko to her absolute limit for as long as she could, so she would attack until it seemed like Motoko was almost ready to make a mistake, and then back off and give her sister time to recover.
Since it was not a real fight, both women refrained from using their school's namesake techniques, but there was still a lot of commotion. Keitaro had heard the clash of metal on metal and the yells of the fighters, and had woken up. Motoko's sister must be here, he thought. He rose and went through his usual morning routine. Finished dressing, he headed for the roof. Just barely catching the end of their match, he watched Motoko practicing with another woman whom he assumed must be her sister. Watching the fight, he was astounded at the speed and precision these two fighters possessed. He could barely see a clear image of them, they were moving so fast. They fought on ceaselessly, but Keitaro could tell Motoko was getting tired. Whenever the swords would clash together, Motoko seemed to be working her hardest while the other woman hardly had broken a sweat. Rather abruptly, the fight ended. Motoko had failed to parry one of her sister's strikes, and was left totally vulnerable, her sister's katana inches away from her neck.
“Very good Motoko, you made me work to win that fight,” Tsuruko said, smiling to let Motoko know she was mostly sincere.
“You held back most of the fight though, Aneue,” Motoko replied, though somewhat short of breath.
“Not as much as you think. Perhaps I need to train harder as well.” Tsuruko smiled. “Come on now, let's go get some breakfast. We've done enough this morning.”
 
Heading off the deck, the pair noticed Keitaro watching them. Tsuruko bowed politely and said “Hello! You must be the manager here. I am Tsuruko Aoyama. Pleased to make your acquaintance.”
Keitaro returned the bow, unused to this politeness. “Nice to meet you, Aoyama-san. I'm Keitaro Urashima.”
“Urashima… I haven't heard that name for quite some time. I used to attend class with an Urashima, but it was a long time ago. I'm sure she's forgotten that by now.” Tsuruko mused.
“Breakfast should be just about ready, let's head down. I'm sure you're both hungry.” Keitaro said, and the trio headed for the dining room.
 
*---
Shinobu had woken up around the same time as Keitaro, and had breakfast waiting for them when they returned. Naru had opted for a quick eat-and-run to get down to the library, still trying to avoid Keitaro after yesterday's mishap. Kitsune was absent, more than likely hung over. Everyone present quickly ate the meal, and Shinobu was praised for her great skill as a chef.
“I have an announcement for everyone” Tsuruko started after breakfast. “Today, the Shinmei School would like to present Motoko with the opportunity to become a full active member. This position would mean that from time to time, we would call on her to take on real, compensated missions on behalf of the Shinmei School. Motoko, this is the next step toward your inheriting the Shinmei school.”
“Congratulations Motoko!” Everyone said. Motoko was floored. A full member! She certainly did not expect this. After the excited murmur of the gathered residents died down, Tsuruko continued.
“This is an examination, with my decision being the final verdict. There is a dimensional rift that will open in the woods not far from here, under the full moon tonight. If Motoko chooses to accept this mission, she will have to defeat any demons that come through, as well as close the rift. I will provide the backup for the mission. There really isn't any real danger here, so I would like Keitaro to accompany us. Motoko will be exhausted after this ritual, and I would like some help bringing her back.”
“I accept this examination.” Motoko replied formally. Internally she was more angry, but she made sure not to let her sister see. Why him… I suppose I can put up with it for this occasion, but I'm still not happy about it.
“All right. We leave tonight at nightfall, the rift can only be closed during a full moon, and so we must do this tonight. Take the rest of the afternoon to get ready. First though, I'm going to relax in the hot springs.” Tsuruko smiled widely.
Everyone face-faulted.
 
*---
 
Motoko slowly sat down into the hot springs. Relaxing in the water was one of her favorite things to do, and after this morning's workout, she was sore. The hot water felt soothing on her muscles. Her older sister walked along the deck next to where Motoko was sitting and climbed in next to her.
“So how are you really, oneechan?” Tsukuro asked. “You seemed distracted by something this morning.”
“I'm fine, really!” Motoko answered, a little too fast. Tsuruko noticed, but opted not to comment.
“You're aware of the risks of this mission, and what exactly is going to happen?”
“I'm aware of the risks. This isn't something that I'll take lightly, even with you as backup. As for the specifics, please fill me in.” Motoko said confidently.
“Very well. The three of us will head out at dark, the place is only a few kilometers away. There is an altar in the middle of the nearby forest. You will be charged with dissipating the rift that forms when the full moon's light covers the altar. If any demon does manage to make it through before you close the gate, then dispatching them takes priority after the gate is closed. I'm only here to make sure that nothing goes wrong, you're going to do all the work yourself neechan.” Tsuruko smiled again. “I'm very proud of you for taking this mission on. I was worried if the clan sent someone besides me that you might not agree, so I came personally for this occasion.”
Motoko was unused to praise from her sister. “Um, thank you, Aneue…” An awkward pause hung in the air as the two sisters relaxed for a while in silence. Motoko could not help think about Shinobu and Keitaro's arm, the scene from yesterday still haunting her thoughts. I can make up for it tonight. She thought with resolve. But if I get stronger, and make a mistake again, maybe I'll really end up hurting someone… Tsuruko got up to get dressed, and Motoko sat alone in the springs, trying to make peace with her thoughts, though not having much success.
 
*---
 
Nightfall came, and the trio gathered at the edge of the woods. Tsuruko lead the way, cutting through the brush, until the group approached a clearing. Motoko strode confidently, but inside she was nervous. She was worried about closing the gate. The ritual was simple enough, just a standard Shinmei technique, one Motoko knew how to do very well, but the whole situation seemed like something out of a B-Rate horror film. The moon was not up yet, and so there was little light for them to see by, and the whole effect was rather spooky.
They walked for a short while before coming to a clearing. The vegetation abruptly stopped, and in the middle of the space stood a small grey stone block, about a meter on each side. The altar covered with runic carvings of a civilization long forgotten. The whole clearing was close to forty-meters wide, only scrub-grass and rocks closed in by tall trees.
“This place is eerie, “ remarked Keitaro offhandedly.
“Many demons have come and gone through this place.” Tsuruko responded. “Once a year, the spiritual balance is just right, and the seal between dimensions weakens enough to allow things that should not be here to pass over. That's where we come in, to close the gate before and stop them from whatever chaos they want to bring to the world. Our clan has come here annually for many generations, sealing off this gate and banishing the demons. Everyone must complete this ritual, successor or not.”
“The gate will open soon, be prepared Motoko,” Tsuruko said loudly. “I'll be here if you absolutely need the help, but that's all.”
“Alright,” Motoko said back. “I'm ready.”
 
The moon had risen above the treetops, and the shadow it was casting along the ground was just a few feet away from the stone. Keitaro could not help but stare at the stone, there was something about it that seemed unnatural, completely foreign to the world. He felt like it was pulling on him, drawing him closer the more he stared at it. Forcing his eyes away, he looked up at the moon. It was huge, bigger than he could ever remember seeing it. Away from the city lights, there were millions of stars up in the sky. Keitaro looked back at Motoko, who was standing closer to the altar, sword drawn.
“It's starting!” Tsuruko yelled. Looking back at the stone, Keitaro saw a faint purple glow had started to envelop it. The haze cast an even more eerie light than the moon alone had across the clearing, it's glow blending with the moonlight to cast shadows that seemed sinister and unholy. The light grew in intensity until it was almost as bright as a small light bulb and seemed to stay there. “Anytime Motoko.” Tsuruko said, and stepped back.
Motoko raised her katana high above her head, took a deep breath and yelled confidently “Shinmei school secret arts, Evil Cutting Sword!” She swung hard at the stone, the ki trail left behind clearly visible to all in the clearing. The blast connected with the stone, and a bright flare of light shone. Everyone had to look away, because the light was so intense, but after a second or so, it died down, and the clearing was pitch black.
“You did it Motoko!” Keitaro cheered, and ran over to her.
“Wait!” Yelled Tsuruko. “Something isn't right…”
The altar in the middle of the clearing was starting to glow dimly again, and now sitting on top of it was a small black creature. It had a body that looked like it was made out of oil and sludge, reflecting the glow of the stone and the moon in a weird sheen. It stood around a meter tall, and it's back and arms were covered in sharp curved spines.
“What the hell is that?” Keitaro yelled,
The creature spoke, and its words sounded like tar boiling. “Aoyama, Your clan has hunted us for centuries! Tonight, you will taste revenge!”
“Motoko, Finish it off!” Tsuruko yelled.
“Oh, I think not, samurai.” The demon leapt off the stone, catching Motoko in the stomach with a quick kick. Not slowing down at all, it dove for Keitaro and latched on to his neck. Not expecting it to be so strong, Motoko doubled over from the force of the small demon and rolled away across the ground. The demon had caught Keitaro from behind, and now stood on his back. One of its long spiny arms pressed against his neck, and he could feel it draw a little blood. “Back, Get Back! I'll slit this man's throat if you come closer.”
Tsuruko moved forward, drew her sword, and neatly cleaved the monster's arm off, all in the same fluid motion. Keitaro spastically kicked the demon somewhere around its upper torso, driving it away from him. The demon did not have time to react, and hissed a terrible dark squeal of pain. “I underestimated you, Aoyama. There were not supposed to be two of you here tonight. No matter, it is too late to stop. Kill me now, the ritual has been completed. You have already failed…”
Unfazed by the demon's dying speech, Tsuruko simply stated “Shinmei school ultimate technique: Light-Cutting Flash.” When she swung her sword, a bright ghostly arc followed the path from the edge of her katana, passing straight through the demon. An unearthly shriek of pain sounded from seemingly everywhere at once, and it disintegrated into a fine black mist, flowing slowly outward from where it used to stand.
Keitaro had almost fainted after Tsuruko's strike, unprepared for the raw power in her blade. Even without touching him, he could feel the raw power her strike contained. He was hunched over, panting as if he had just run a very long race. Motoko had collected herself and walked up to her sister's side. Tsuruko regarded her carefully. “Are you alright Motoko? I did not expect a foe, or I would not have brought outsiders. You did well tonight, and will make an excellent addition to the ranks of our clan.”
Keitaro walked over to the stone in the middle of the clearing and sat on top of it. There was a fine trickle of blood down the side of his face and neck where the demon's spines had pierced his skin, but he was mostly fine. A few drops fell off his cheekbone and landed on the top of the stone cube. The air crackled with a thunderbolt, and Tsuruko's attention snapped back to the altar. “Something seems wrong, Aneue… The glow on the stone is still there, and that creature's words were odd. It said something about a ritual,” Motoko said.
Tsuruko paused, and looked back at the stone. The dim purple glow there had been replaced by a much brighter, much more sinister deep red glow. “We need to leave now.” Tsuruko said quickly. “This is too big for you and I to handle on our own.” She looked genuinely frightened, a look Motoko had thought she would never ever see on her sister. Whatever that demon had mentioned, it had scared her. Suddenly, Motoko did not want to find out why.
Keitaro had recovered and had begun to get up when the ground began to quake and tremor. “An earthquake?” Keitaro wondered, out loud still somewhat groggy.
“No, something much worse. Run boy, get as far away as you can.” Tsuruko yelled at him. “Get ready Motoko, we need to buy a little time so that we can escape…”
“Escape from what?” Motoko said back, but she could feel the intense evil coming from the stone. She collected herself and screamed “Urashima, if you ever do anything right, make this it and get the hell out of here, now!”
Keitaro had scrambled to his feet and decided that these two were really serious. After all he wasn't a fighter, and Tsuruko could protect Motoko much better than him. He started to run back the way they came, but slipped on a rock, and twisted his ankle. “Damn it, I'm sorry Motoko.”
“Useless man.” Motoko yelled, but moved herself between him and the stone. “You owe me for this Urashima.” Tsuruko had drawn her katana as well, and taken up the same stance as Motoko. The rumbling seemed to get worse and worse until it felt to Keitaro that the earth between his legs would split in half. Abruptly it stopped, and it was dead quiet. There was no sound at all. No wind, no birds, no bugs, no critters… nothing at all except for the sound of the two Aoyama samurai and his breathing. It was as if all life had disappeared except for the three in the clearing.
A voice, dripping of hatred and malice spoke, seeming to come out of nowhere and everywhere at once. The sound chilled Keitaro all the way to the bone. “Aoyama, I am here to pass judgment on your clan. For the slaughter of thousands of my tribe, I shall destroy you here and now. Your clan will not know rest as long as I walk this land.”
“Demon, You have tried to eradicate us before and we have always stopped you. You will not be free on this world.” Tsuruko yelled back, but Motoko could hear the fear creep into her voice. “We will stop you here.”
“Aneue, you know this demon?” Motoko asked, still unable to find any physical presence that matched the voice she heard.
“Another time, Motoko. It comes, be ready!”
Out in the darkness, Keitaro could start to see the stars disappear, starting from the tops of the treeline. The demon faded into view, a reddish aura surrounding its massive stature. Keitaro guessed it must be 30 meters tall, and its wings must have spanned easily twice that distance. It's head looked like it was wrought from black ebony, piercing red eyes bore straight through his soul, as if it could kill him with just a gaze. Two long gnarled horns stuck back from the top of its head, and it's mouth was filled with more teeth than Keitaro had ever seen. It wore an armor that appeared to be crafted from the charred bones of some huge mammal, too large to be found anywhere on this planed. It's lower half resembled a human, and it stood on two legs, holding a gigantic scythe in its arms. As it finished materializing, Tsuruko was already moving.
“Shinmei school final arts, Demonslaying slash!” She yelled, and swung her katana through the air. A Brilliant yellow arc flew from her sword, a bolt of yellow lightning arcing behind it as it grew. The demon had seen her cut and tried to dodge out of the way, but its massive stature prevented it from moving very quickly. The ki-blast was off target, tearing several meters of demonic flesh and tissue off of the monster's wing.
“I know that sword, Aoyama. I have felt its blade before… You will not stop me this time child!” The demon said, it's voice nothing but malevolence. Motoko moved around to its right flank, while Tsuruko took the left. Keitaro tried to crawl as far towards the trees as he could, while making absolutely every effort not to be seen by anything. While the monstrosity was occupied with Tsuruko, Motoko moved in for an attack.
“Shinmei school secret arts, Chaos of a Hundred Flowers!” Motoko swung, and many small ki-projectiles materialized around her, darting towards various places on the demon. Each exploded in a small flash of light, creating a firework-type lighting effect in the clearing. After a second or two of this, the demon spun around with a vicious ground sweep that Motoko had to quickly duck and roll away from. It followed up by slamming its foot hard into the ground around where Motoko had been, the force kicking up loose earth and shaking Motoko off balance.
Keitaro saw the glint of the ebony scythe the demon held high in the air, and saw Motoko on the ground below. He knew that Motoko would die if that thing swung at her. Not having time to think about the consequences to himself and forgetting about his injured foot, he dug in hard and started running. Tsuruko had seen him start to move and shouted “Urashima, No!” but he was already moving. The monster swung down hard, and he prayed he would make it in time. The scythe came in a low sweeping arc, aiming to cut Motoko in half.
Motoko was staring, wide-eyed and in horror. She had always assumed she would fall in battle, but now that she was staring death head on, she was petrified with fear. Watching the path the blade traveled in, she closed her eyes and waited for it to hit. Something slammed into her side, hard, and she fell to the ground. The massive blade swept inches from her head, cutting a patch of her straight hair off. Keitaro and Motoko rolled from where he had tackled her until they slid to a stop in the dust.
Tsuruko took the opportunity that Motoko had given her, reckless as it was, and prepared for a crippling strike on the demon. Focusing all her strength into this next swing, she cried “Shinmei School Perfect Art: Annihilation Blade.” She took two steps forward, and then leaped ten meters straight up, sword raised high above her head. Swinging downward, the ki-infused blade extended to three times its original length and cleaved the huge demon from neck to toe. When she landed, she spun around in a wide backhand slash, decapitating what was left of the demon. It's huge head crashed into the ground loudly as its body boiled away from the power in Tsuruko's strike. As it rolled to a stop, the demon began laughing softly.
“Do not think you have won, Aoyama,” It said, and began to chant in an arcane language, the syllables sounding more like screams of agony and death than real words. It stopped chanting, and the severed head twisted in a toothy grin. With it's last breath, it stated “Successors of the Shinmei school, I banish thee to hell.” The demon's skull exploded in a burst of sinister red light, and Keitaro heard Motoko scream in agony. After a second, he felt like his body was being ripped the wrong way through a wall of razor blades. After a few seconds of this, he blacked out from the pain.
Focusing all of her remaining energy, Tsuruko neutralized the demon's spell before it had a chance to spread further, then collapsed. In the clearing, only she was left, injured and alone. With no sign of either Motoko or Keitaro, she finally broke down and cried. She had failed to protect Motoko, her precious sister, from this monster. Worse, an innocent man was killed as well. Head hung in shame, she began to limp back to the Hinata dorm, a haze creeping into her vision.
 
*---
 
Haruka Urashima was closing up her teashop when she felt the ground quake. Stepping outside, she could feel the evil in the air, and feared for the worst. She had seen the two swordswoman leave with her nephew, but was too tied up with business to ask where they were headed. Now she knew without a doubt.
Sure enough, an hour or so later, she saw Tsuruko dragging herself up the Hinata inn staircase. Tsuruko made it almost to the teashop doors, collapsing in front of Haruka. Haruka saw the bloodstains on Tsuruko's gi, and said “What happened! Where are Keitaro and Motoko!”
“I… `m… sorry…” Tsuruko tried, and slipped off into unconsciousness..
 
*-----
To be continued.
 
*-----