Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Repercussions ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Repercussions, Chapter 2.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Saturday dawned overcast. While the day before had been bright and crisp, now the skies were leaden and brooding, the wind biting. It came as no surprise to anyone watching the weather forecast that the first major snowfall of the winter was due at any time.
 
It was to this that Keitaro awoke. The kanrinin sat up and stretched whilst yawning widely, before hurriedly burying himself back beneath his sheets. It was cold. Very cold.

“Maybe I should have shut the window.....” He groused, although smiling. He had to smile today. But for the time being, the man decided to apply his focus on how to get dressed and downstairs without freezing to the floor. Between leaving the window ajar and sleeping in very little, it appeared an arduous task.
 
“Sempai?” Shinobu's meek voice filtered into his room. “Are you awake?”
 
“Yeah Shinobu-chan, come on in.” Without another word the diminutive girl slipped through his doorway, carrying a full tray of something that steamed.
 
“Good morning Sempai!” Turning to face Keitaro she instantly coloured at the sight of her heart's desire propped up on elbows, showing quite a lot of bare chest - which to the girl's eyes appeared perfectly chiselled - before composing herself.
 
“Good morning. Wrapped up well, I see.” Taking in the long pink silk pyjamas and thick red dressing gown, Keitaro had to work hard to ignore the fact that Shinobu was definitely growing into a beautiful young lady.
 
“Yes, it is so bitter this morning.” Cheered massively by the not-so-subtle appraisal, Shinobu knelt next to Keitaro's futon. “Since you weren't feeling so well yesterday I thought I'd bring you some breakfast up.”
 
“You're an angel, Shinobu-chan.” Appraising the huge western-style breakfast he enjoyed as a rare treat, the resident manager glanced back up at the talented chef. “What time is it?”

“Oh, about eight in the morning.” Keitaro's eyes widened.
 
“What time did you get up to make this? It must have taken at least half an hour to do it all. On a Saturday too.” Shinobu turned her eyes away, fingers working at the hem of her gown.
 
“It's no trouble Sempai. I enjoyed making it.” The brown-haired man cast a glance skywards, and decided that it was worth the risk of the potential misunderstanding. With a smile, he patted the floor beside him.
 
“Then join me in enjoying it.” The chef's head snapped up, violet eyes wide.
 
“S-sempai?”
 
“Honestly, there's far too much for me to handle.”
 
“B-but, there's only one set of cutlery.” The young man smiled.
 
“Tell you what, you nip down to the kitchen and get another set with the kettle, and I'll put something warm on in the meantime.” Shinobu blink-blinked as her mind went into overdrive. The traditional meek side of her screamed at her that it would be inappropriate.
 
It was brutally murdered, mutilated and buried by the side that told her to stop being so damn Shinobu and take a chance for once.
 
“I'll be right back.” She whispered, and was gone with a speed that almost blew the bookshelf over.
 
“She must be hungry.” Smiled Keitaro, who decided to make good on his part of the deal. Getting up he took a sip of tea, which helped to dispel the icy edge in the room. “Well, guess I should get changed, put something warm on.” Slipping casually out of his boxer shorts, the kanrinin began rummaging through his underwear draw intent on finding his warmest socks, mind wandering off onto his plans for the day. Hopefully Seta and Sarah would be able to swing by; his mentor said they would if the weather held off. And probably get a call from Kanako, wherever the hell she was now. Granny Hina had decided to take her on her latest world tour, but Keitaro doubted that being in the depths of the Pacific or ten miles from the North Pole would stop her calling her Ooutosan on January the fifth.
 
It was only when he stopped dreaming and actually found the desired underwear that the kanrinin realised that the distance to the kitchen really wasn't that far.
 
“Got some, sem-” Shinobu panted, slipping through the door. She popped the hot kettle on the floor, and looked up.
 
Freeze-frame.
 
Keitaro blanched, both at the scrutiny and the impending doom that accompanied any such situation, alongside the fact he still had his early-morning, *ahem*, visitor. Shinobu on the other hand found herself unable, or possibly unwilling, to avert her gaze. The last time anything like this happened she was barely in a situation to appreciate anything. Now at just over sixteen, and with no interruptions, she was very happy to appreciate the situation. And, in her view, what she was appreciating was worth her appreciation.
 
Gradually, the violet gaze was torn away from it's chosen target and travelled reluctantly upwards, until it met its brown counterpart.
 
Not a syllable was spoken, but words passed nonetheless. Along the lines of 'please don't make a sound, or I am so very dead.' Understanding, Shinobu backed silently out through the doorway and slid the door shut. A few seconds of silence. And then, a very quiet exclamation.
 
“Oh my.”
 
Releasing the breath he didn't know he was holding, Keitaro hurriedly dressed in heavy trousers and a thick brown sweater, mumbling prayers to whoever may listen that this didn't get back to Naru. As he slid slippers onto his sock-clad feet, a cautious knock indicated that someone wasn't planning on making the same mistake twice.
 
“Come in, I'm fully decent now.” Cautiously, with a face that could rival cherries for redness, Shinobu crept into the room.
 
“Ah, I'm sorry Sempai, I should have knocked.” Bowing in apology, the bashful girl began backing through the still open door.
 
“Where are you going, Shinobu-chan?” The retreat paused, and Shinobu carefully peeked up at her sempai.
 
“To go and start my own breakfast.” Keitaro shook his head, and gestured her back in.
 
“Your breakfast is here, isn't it?” He scratched the back of his head, with an expression of embarrassment. “Unless I've made you uncomfortable, of course. Sorry, Shinobu-chan.”
 
Although very aware that her mind was very much stuck on 'Oh my' and that blood was rapidly running to places she wasn't really accustomed to, Shinobu felt the offer far too good to decline.
 
“No, it's okay Sempai.” Sliding the door shut, the girl carefully picked up the heavily laden tray and placed it onto the table Keitaro had shifted to the centre of the room. The archaeology student poured a fresh round of tea and gestured for his guest to go ahead. Wordlessly she did, all the while trying to get her thoughts back under control. With little success.
 
'I'm having breakfast with Sempai. Breakfast with Sempai. In Sempai's room. Breakfast. With Sempai. Oh god, I hope this isn't a dream!'
 
“Shinobu-chan?” Looking up, Shinobu noticed Keitaro looking a little awkward. “I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't think you'd be back so quickly, I should've changed faster. Hope you weren't too disturbed by seeing me......y'know.....” The awkwardness descended into an expression of pure shame, and the ex-ronin almost seemed to withdraw into himself. “But if you want to yell, or let Naru or Motoko perform some suitable punishment, I'll understand.” The sight of her beloved mentor almost bracing for impact snapped Shinobu out of her spin instantly.
 
“Sempai?” Reaching out tentatively, the high-school girl felt her heart constrict as the man opposite shrunk back yet further. Shocked, she almost retracted her hand, wondering where on earth this reaction was coming from. It was her fault, after all, she barged in on him, right? Fixing her resolve, Shinobu covered the rest of the distance and laid a gentle palm on a shoulder she was horrified to find trembling. “Sempai, I should be apologising, I walked in on you. How you were supposed to change in fifteen seconds I don't know.” Sensing her words were having some effect, the girl kept talking. “So will you let me apologise?” Slowly, Keitaro raised his head, taking in the earnest expression opposite him.
 
“No, Shinobu, there's nothing for you to apologise for.”
 
“Apologise for what?” The two froze, before looking up. To see Naru peering sleepily through the hole above them, bottle-bottom glasses perched precariously on her nose. Keitaro went instantly into defence mode, waving his arms frantically.
 
“Ahh, Naru-chan, it was nothing, I can explain.....”
 
“I spilt the tea over his futon when I brought breakfast.” Shinobu cut in calmly, taking her hand from her Sempai's shoulder quickly.
 
“In his room?” Came the reply, with a hint of suspicion.
 
“He wasn't well yesterday, and it was so bitter this morning, I didn't want Sempai getting a chill.” Naru blinked slowly, before shrugging and drowsily accepting the explanation.
 
“Okay then. Just make sure the pervert doesn't try anything. I'll see you at breakfast.” With that the board slid back into place, and Keitaro heaved a sigh of relief.
 
“Oh man, thought I was a goner then.” He turned to thank Shinobu, only to find her still staring upwards with an expression rarely seen on her normally cheerful face. Was that anger? Annoyance? “Shinobu-chan, are you okay?”
 
“Yeah.” Taking a deep breath, Shinobu managed a small smile. “Yes, I'm fine thank you, Sempai.”
 
“Good.” Noticing the girl gathering up the rolled up futon, he paused. “Um, what are you doing with that?”
 
“Washing it of course!” Giving Keitaro a small wink, she continued in a cheery voice. “After all, you can't sleep in a soaking futon, can you?”
 
“Yes, you're right. Thanks, Shinobu-chan. Do you want me to carry it?”
 
“I'll be fine.” There was no way Shinobu was going to let this still-warm, vaguely Keitaro-scented bundle out of her grasp. “You go on down with the dishes, and put the kettle back on. Then I'll make us some breakfast we can actually get around to eating.”
 
 
 
 
Naru sat on a chair at the edge of her balcony, staring at the snow billowing from clouds which showed no intention of taking a break. The blizzard had broken loose before she had even joined the breakfast table. Where she had received a nasty surprise.
 
“Happy birthday, Kei-kun!” Mutsumi had cheered, a brightly-wrapped gift in her hands. A grinning Keitaro had received the gift, whilst his girlfriend had frozen in abject horror. Looking on as her boyfriend had unwrapped a porcelain reconstruction set (perfect for sticking artefacts back together, Mutsumi had chirruped) Naru suddenly felt a sinking sensation deep in the pit of her stomach.
 
“Thanks Mutsumi-chan, it's perfect!” The Okinawan gave her usual response - a kiss, this one on the lips - but the bespectacled girl had barely noticed, instead casting a frantic look out of the window.
 
To see a curtain of white sweeping across it, almost obscuring the nearest trees from view.
 
“Here you go Keitaro-kun.” Haruka, who had shut up her coffee shop based on the forecast, casually handed her nephew what was obviously a broom despite the wrapping. “I know you need a new one after what happened last week.” The kanrinin gave a small smile.
 
“It's what I've always wanted, Haruka-obasan” He exclaimed cheekily. His 'aunt' reached for her fan, but ended up smiling back.
 
“I'll let you off that Keitaro-bozu, this time. Just this time.” The inevitable cigarette went back into the stoic woman's mouth, and she took a satisfied drag. “Oh, and there's a token for one free coffee in there too. When you need it, bring it on down.”

“Thanks Haruka-san.” This time the thanks was genuine, and Haruka stayed impassive, except for a few quick smoke puffs.
 
“No problem.” Next up was Su.
 
“Happy birthday Keitaros!” The tan princess yelled, hurling herself at the birthday boy in a full-scale glomp, followed by an over-the-top kiss which nearly stripped the kanrinin's face off.
 
“Y'know, to if she ever hits puberty, we're in a whole heap of trouble.” Haruka murmured to Mutsumi, who nodded gently in agreement. The second half of the present turned out to be a huge bunch of bananas. Keitaro plucked one off and gave it right back, which earned him a second glomp before Su sat down to happily devour her extra breakfast.
 
“Do you mind if I give you my gift later?” Naru broke in, noting that Mitsune and Motoko were absent. There was simply no way she was going to be the only one around the table who gave nothing.
 
“Sure, Naru-chan.” Keitaro replied, turning to Shinobu who was anxiously waiting to give her gift. Giving a second anxious glance at the snowstorm outside, the brown-haired girl excused herself and hurriedly left the table, not noticing her actions were being watched.
 
And so Naru sat on her balcony, red coat wrapped snugly around her torso, watching the swirling snowflakes and trying her best not to scream. January the fifth! How could she have missed it?
 
It's not as if people at the Hinata-sou had never missed dates like this before. Shinobu's birthday a few years ago, valentine's day.....
 
But none of these involved a genuine relationship. Not like the one Naru and Keitaro shared now.
 
Naru peered short-sightedly out into the wall of white, letting her thoughts take over. Things had been progressing slowly between herself and Keitaro. Slowly was what she liked. Sure, she still lost her temper a bit now and again, but whenever she saw Keitaro taking advantage of any of the other residents, or trying to act on his ingrained male perversions, there was never a question in her mind. His apologies only ever served to confirm any suspicions the young lady had - who apologised when they weren't guilty? One thing she was sure of was that he loved her, and she was pretty damn sure she felt the same way. And he always returned unscathed, more or less, so no harm was done.
 
But today.....
 
Squinting into the blizzard, Naru tried to reassure herself that it wasn't snowing as hard as a few minutes ago.
 
Which was clearly a lie.
 
Any other day she would be half-way to town, frantically counting her spare change. Today, forget it. Even the most blindly optimistic person would know that little would be open on a day like today, and transport sparse at best. Which left her with a big problem. Logic told her that admitting her mistake was the best choice, as Keitaro would forgive her as he always did.
 
But doing that would mean swallowing all her pride, and accepting she was in the wrong. An option that the strong-minded girl couldn't truly contemplate. And even Kei, with his seemingly limitless loyalty, would be no doubt hurt by her totally ignoring the day.
 
So, what was left?
 
“Mornin' sugar. Sheez, it's cold in here!” Mitsune shuddered, drawing her slightly too skimpy green gown more tightly around her.
 
“Morning Kitsune.” Sighed Naru, still gazing morosely out at the snow, which was already several inches deep.
 
“What's up Naru?” Mitsune strolled through the room, joining her friend out to her balcony.
 
“It's January the fifth.”
 
“And?”
 
“It's Keitaro's birthday.”
 
“Ohhhhhhhh.......” Taking a seat beside Naru, Mitsune stared out into the snow. “And it ain't the kinda day ya can just pop to the shops, right?” A morose nod was the reply. “Ah, I can see the problem sugar. 'Fraid I can't be of much help. I haven't gotten the guy anythin' either.”
 
“But you're not his 'girlfriend', Kitsune.” Naru slapped the railing in annoyance. “I wondered why Mutsumi was making such a fuss yesterday. She could have come right out and told me, but nooooooo, she had to sit and watch. She's probably sat there right now, smugly stroking her melons at the thought of getting one over me.”
 
“Naru, don't try blaming someone else for your own mistake.” Surprised by the harder tone, the brunette glanced over at her friend to see a slight frown on the fox-lady's face. “Having a go at Mutsumi won't change anythin'. It was too late to get somethin' last night anyways.” Seeing genuine distress on Naru's face, Mitsune lightened her tone. “'Sides, he'll forgive you. He always does, he'll forgive any of us. Just come right out and tell him, apologise, say him you'll make it up to him. I can think of plenty of ways you can do that, an' all!” She finished with a broad grin, as Naru shuddered.
 
“No thanks, I'd rather have Su glomp me.” The free-spirited girl chuckled gently at her friend's distate.
 
“Naru, yer the biggest prude I've ever met.”
 
“I just don't trust men. They only want one thing, and it's not something I'm giving out.” Looking at her almost-sister from the corner of her eye, Naru thought of another possibility. “You wouldn't have anything hanging around I could use......”
 
“As I said, can't help you there sugar. He'd know straight away it wasn't really from you.” Finding herself out of options, the bespectacled girl let out a frustrated sigh.
 
“Damn. Guess I'll have to go to plan B, buy something soon as I can get out of here and tell him I got the dates mixed up.” Sensing disappointment emanating from Mitsune, the Tokyo-U student pressed on. “Look, he gets something, I get out of jail, and everyone is happy.”
 
“Naru, why don't you just apologise, kiss and make up? The brown-eyed girl shook her head, almost recoiling at the thought.
 
“I prefer my option, thanks. I'd rather not have to apologise, and as for kiss him? Are you kidding?” Into the pause a gentle male voice floated up from below, startling the two girls.
 
“It's okay Naru-san, no need to get me anything. I wasn't expecting much, my birthday is so close to Christmas anyway.” A door slid shut, and then there was only the sound of the wind whistling through the trees.
 
Naru stared at Mitsune in horror.
 
“Oh crap, how long was he on the balcony below us?” The fox-girl returned the look with a touch of pity.
 
“Dunno, Naru. Long enough, by the sound of things.” Sensing her friend beginning to panic, Mitsune placed a gentle palm on Naru's knee. “But I think that the apologise-or-not decision has kinda been made.”

“I know, Kitsune.” Wringing her hands together, Naru stared out into the snowstorm. “But I can't do it right now. Not right now, maybe later.”
 
“Really?” The sliver-haired girl pressed, getting to her feet.

“Yeah, maybe.” Hedged her friend, still looking utterly lost.
 
“Naru.....” At the odd tone, Naru looked up to see Mitsune gazing at her in a way that made her uneasy. “I wanna hear you've done it by dinner. If you haven't, well -” The young lady broke off, looking at the floor for a second, before continuing. “-well, ain't much I can do. But you'll regret it, sugar.” With that Mitsune slipped through the open doorway, and without another word left the room. Naru stared at the vacant spot blankly for a moment, before going back to snowgazing.
 
“Damn it.” She muttered, the flakes all blurring into one alabaster haze as the inevitable tears came. 'This time, I'm the idiot. Maybe I should punch myself for once.....'
 
 
 
 
Mitsune repeated her stealthy approach of the night before, confident that this time there was no superhuman swords woman with some kind of inbuilt radar inside room 204. Stopping at the threshold, she once again strained her ears. He seemed calm enough when he spoke a minute ago, but that was never, ever a good sign.
 
After a good half-minute of waiting, the silver fox decided that, just maybe, her instincts were wrong this time. She was about to leave when a tiny sniff, followed by a hiccup, slipped through the closed door. Nodding, Mitsune decided to leave the kanrinin alone, not wishing to spy on what should really be private. As she slipped down the corridor into her own room, the lady found herself feeling oddly upset for her male friend. Cursing herself for being so sentimental, she decided to put some upbeat music on and work at her latest writing project. But one thing remained lodged in her mind.
 
'Naru had better have a damn good apology ready......'
 
 
 
 
Haruka Urashima did not look happy. This was not an unusual state of affairs, at least to those who didn't know her well. Her usual stoicism was often mistaken for ill temper. But in this case, the owner of the coffee shop was definitely not in a good mood.
 
Having to go down a huge number of stairs in the deepening snow to open her shop wasn't part of her plan for the day.
 
But when her relative had handed her the 'free coffee' token he had received that morning, with a look that said he really needed it, the older woman had not asked questions. Hence her turning the heating on full blast in the frigid shop and putting a kettle on to boil whilst unwrapping a black scarf from around her neck. The 'free coffee' arrangement was one that had been going on for some time - which was essentially code for a no-holds-barred private chat - and was used whenever one of the Urashimas had something on their mind.
 
Haruka was getting worried by the amount of coffee that was being consumed.
 
“I wish that girl would sort herself out, she's sending that nephew of mine around the bend.” She muttered to herself, fishing a favoured blend of light-roast coffee from behind the counter. Most people would not equate Haruka with any kind of strong emotion, but when it came to family no holds were barred.
 
The seemingly endless cycle of yes-no-maybe going on was wearing on her almost as much as her Keitaro.
 
The last time he had popped over for 'coffee' he had, for the first time she could remember, expressed his doubts that the relationship was going to work. Constant mixed signals, sweetness and light one second, painful misunderstanding the next.
 
“Haruka-obasan?” Keitaro slipped into the room, accompanied by a flurry of white flakes.
 
“Again, I'll let you off that one.” Replied the stoic woman, fishing out some cups as the water came to the boil. Pleased that her breath was no longer creating little clouds of mist, Haruka slipped her coat off and placed it on a nearby hook. “Take a seat. I'll be there in a minute.”
 
“Okay.” As Keitaro removed his coat and put it on a second hook, his aunt set the coffee brewing and sat down at the nearest table. The Hinata-sou manager slid into the seat opposite, and the hazel-eyed woman could feel her calm mask crack. The man looked a mess.
 
“I'm guessing that she forgot then?” A morose nod was the reply. “Well, don't worry too much, Kei-kun. These things happen. Besides, the girl spends so much of her life in a book that I'm surprised she knows what month it is.”
 
“I know. Everyone has been guilty at some time. But the first time we're together, I kinda hoped it would be different.”
 
“And?” At Keitaro's curious look, Haruka took long drag on her cigarette before fishing it from her mouth. “Come on, you're far too worked up for it to be so simple. What's the real problem?” Her nephew sighed gently, chin propped on hands.
 
“You know me too well, Haruka-san.” He gratefully accepted a mug of steaming coffee, and sipped at it gingerly. “I was out on the balcony after breakfast, just watching the snow. Then I heard voices above me……” The kanrinin laughed bitterly, staring deep into the dark fluid. “My own fault for listening I guess. It was Naru asking Mitsune for her advice. I was out there long enough to hear she was planning to dupe me, and then-” The sigh that came this time was far deeper. “-She laughed off any kind of suggestion of, well, I know it's silly. But when someone you love can't even stand the thought of giving you a kiss…..”
 
“Kei-kun, there's nothing silly about that.” Haruka set her cigarette on the ashtray edge, taking a sip of her own drink. “It's natural to want some physical affection, I can't think of a sensible man who doesn't appreciate it.”
 
“Hah, guess that makes sense.” Keitaro broke in morosely. “Seems Naru is spot on, I'm just a perverted male.” The stern-faced woman shot him a stern look, and he fell silent again.
 
“Now, if you'll let me finish.” Haruka continued in a lecturing tone. “Come to think of it, I can't think of a sensible woman who doesn't appreciate it either!” Her voice softened suddenly, along with her expression. “Seriously Kei, stop taking all the punches for this. Just because you've been accused, it doesn't make you guilty.”
 
“But Haruka…..”
 
“But nothing!” In the silence, the hazel-eyed woman fought to get herself under control again. After a deep breath, a slug of coffee and a long drag of cigarette, she continued in a more placid tone. “Look. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with wanting to know your partner likes you, that they find you attractive. It's only natural; she's the one that has it upside-down.”
 
“Well, if you say so.” The kanrinin took a long drink from his own mug, glancing around at the deserted coffee shop. “Doesn't make it any easier, though.”
 
“Kei, I'm sure she didn't really mean it.”
 
“Then why would she say it?” The young man flung his hands up in frustration, nearly sending brown liquid flying across the counter. “It was just her and Mitsune, who knows her inside-out. Why would she not mean it? There was no-one there she needed to lie to.”
 
“I know, I know. But that's Naru, the girl can't even be honest with herself.” At his aunt's reply, Keitaro drained the rest of his drink, before piercing the older lady with an odd look.
 
“Are you sure, Haruka?” He got up and stretched carefully, before turning towards the door. However, his soft, almost desolate voice still carried to Haruka's ears. “It seems to me she's being completely honest with herself. Besides, who'd want to kiss someone like me anyway?” With a brief `thanks for the drink' the man disappeared out into the snowstorm, leaving Haruka staring at the empty cup opposite.
 
Not a move was made for several minutes, until the cigarette had burnt out and the last of the coffee was tepid at best. Eventually, the stoic lady leaned back and stared at the ceiling, reaching for another nicotine stick.
 
“Boy, those two are going to give me ulcers.” She murmured, slipping the filter end between her lips and lighting up with tremulous hands. Taking another steadying inhalation, Haruka paused before blowing a stream of smoke at the solitary light above her. “If it was anyone else I'd have them out on their arse for giving Kei that much shit. But he'd never forgive me.” After another moment of roof-gazing, the shop owner sluggishly rose from her chair to switch off the heater. “And I wouldn't want to send Naru back to her family anyway. Guess I'd better hope she comes to her senses soon.” Deciding to head back to the main house, Haruka quickly buttoned up her coat and drew her scarf tight around her face. Casting a last look back at the two now empty cups she gave a quite Un-Haruka-like sigh before clicking off the light.
 
Outside the wind seemed to have further upped its efforts, and nearly blew the tall woman off her feet. After quickly locking up she set off up the stairs, her last thought swept away on the blizzard.
 
“Because if she doesn't come to her senses soon, Kei just might come to his.”
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
 
 
 
For the rest of the day the atmosphere in the Hinata-sou was, shall we say, awkward. Perhaps strained is more accurate. In any case, Motoko picked up on it virtually instantly. Between Shinobu's recurrent blushing fits, Mitsune's unusually quiet demeanour and the `happy couple' seemingly dropping off the face of the earth it was pretty obvious something had happened.
 
Now the heir to the Shinmei-ryu was no fool. Although initially naïve emotionally, life at the Hinata-sou along with her sister's more recent assistance had allowed her to tune her acute senses to more than just threat or pervert detection. And something today was throwing her off-kilter.
 
With a deep breath the elegant girl eased from her meditation position, shaking an inch of snow from her shoulders. Normally, the hum of snowfall against silence proved soothing for her, but there was too much going on around her to ignore. Striding to the roof entrance, enjoying the crunching of her feet, Motoko took one last look at the sky before heading inside. The snow still fell, now in the steady, consistent manner that suggested it was not going to be leaving for a while. As there was already over half a foot on the ground, the kendoist was thankful that there was more than enough food in the house to make shopping a distant prospect.
 
“Hello, Motoko-san. Still going out there?” Shrugging off her heavy travel cloak, Motoko nodded.
 
“Yes. The wind has eased, I doubt the fall will stop tonight.” The woman stood in front of her cupped a cheek in her hand, concerned.
 
“Ara, I hope I have enough watermelons to see me through. It would be awful to run out.” Motoko had to smile at the response. Trust Mutsumi to think of that first.
 
“I believe, Otohime-san, that you could comfortably open a shop with the amount you have.” The Okinawan smiled back.
 
“You can never have too many, Motoko-san. Anyway, I was just about to call you for dinner.”
 
“Thank you. Shall we go?” Mutsumi nodded, and the two set off towards the dining room. “I believe Shinobu has been busy in the kitchen again. She really is a master for someone so young.”
 
“Ara, she's far more a chef than I could ever be.” The cheery tone of the bubbly woman beside her gave stark contrast to the aura of the household, something that gave Motoko hope.
 
“I agree completely. I could never hope to become a master in the culinary arts.” As the two entered the dining room, the flicker of hope died instantly. Shinobu was dishing up with an all-too-pink face, the same she had worn all day. Mitsune appeared pensive, fiddling with her cutlery, and Haruka was watching proceedings with hawkish intensity. Su was, as always, oblivious. But the other two sat at the table, conveniently as far apart as possible, may as well have had huge storm clouds hovering above their heads. Mutsumi seemed to notice as well, her permanent smile faltered before re-appearing. As her anaemic friend was going for the `blissfully ignorant' approach, Motoko decided to follow suit.
 
“Here you are, sempai! A big serving for the birthday boy!” Cheered Shinobu, dishing some rice onto Keitaro's plate, seemingly oblivious. “Oh, Motoko-san, Mutsumi-san. Take a seat, I'll have yours ready now.” As the pair complied, the grinning cook swiftly spooned some more rice out to the new arrivals.
 
As she set some out for herself and joined the table, it suddenly struck the young girl that everybody was quiet. Other than Su of course, who had set to work at a mountain of food that was rapidly becoming a molehill.
 
“So, uh, awful weather we've been having.” Commented Mitsune, receiving a round of silent nods. Deciding to step things up a bit, the fun-loving girl decided to step things up a bit. “How 'bout I raid my stash, and we have a big ol' party to celebrate our kanrinin's birthday then?”
 
“Mitsune-san -” Haruka's caution was drowned by a chorus of agreement from the two youngest at the table and Mutsumi.
 
“Although normally I disagree with the drinking of sake in the house, I feel this is a suitable situation.” Put in Motoko.
 
“Would you like that Kei-kun?” Mutsumi asked leaning over towards the bespectacled man, giving him a good view of her considerable cleavage at the same time.
 
“Mmmm, sounds good.” Replied Keitaro, busy pushing food around his plate. The Okinawan's smile did not disintegrate at his disinterest.
 
“Ah, good!” Going back to her seat, the busty brunette scooped up another mound of rice. “So, get any more nice presents today?” Abruptly, the clicking from two sets of chopsticks halted.
 
“Uh, well, Motoko-san and Naru-san said that they were going to give me their presents later. So no, nothing yet.” At this calm statement a single set of chopsticks clattered loudly to the floor.
 
“I have stated that I will give my gift to Keitaro-san this evening as thanks for his tutelage.” Motoko stated blandly, gazing at her food. “However, I will not press upon him to tutor me today. Is that acceptable, sensei?” Keitaro nodded silently in response.
 
“So, have you gotten Kei-kun anything nice?” It seemed Mutsumi wasn't finished.
 
“That, I believe, is entirely down to the recipient's opinion.” Came the calm reply. The Okinawan switched her attention to Naru, who was scrabbling beneath the table for her fallen chopsticks.
 
“How about you, Naru-chan?”
 
“What? Uh…..” The antennae-haired girl peered up, finding six pairs of eyes on her. Knowing that at least three of them would know she was lying, the girl stumbled over the choice between saving face and confessing.
 
“I'm sure it will be nice.” Keitaro cut in, appearing almost bored. “So, how about we end this line of questioning and get on with the main business of the night?”

”Great idea sugar!” Mitsune dived in, sliding her chair back. “Mutsumi-san, you help Shinobu-chan with the dishes, the rest of you get the table set and the music on!” Grabbing Keitaro by the elbow, the fox-girl pulled him to his feet. “And you, birthday boy, are gonna come choose the drinks for tonight!” The last sight the surprised ex-ronin had was the puzzled brown gaze of his promised girl before he was woman-handled up the stairs towards Mitsune's room. Before he could even protest at the treatment he was stood in the middle of the resident party animal's room, and the fox herself was sliding the door shut.
 
“Uh, Kitsune-san?” The silver-blonde turned to look at him, and Keitaro found himself suddenly very scared. The eyes were slitted and piercing, like a tiger about to pounce. The Kanrinin had only seen the look a handful of times before, and it meant only one thing - Mitsune wanted answers.
 
“Kei-kun, I wanna know one thing.” The brown-haired man steeled himself for the interrogation.
 
“What's that, Kitsune-san?”
 
“……Why?”
 
 
 
 
 
That'll do for now.
 
Next chapter in the next week, hopefully!
 
Ja Ne!
 
Nodoka Miyazawa.