Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ The Romantic Tales of Love Hina ❯ Study Partners ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Romantic Tales of Love Hina
 
Chapter 2: Study Partners
 
Disclaimer: This fanfic is based on the original story Love Hina by Ken Akamatsu
 
Note: I am aware that my story is similar to the Manga, I will try to change things up more from here on out.
 
Keitaro stared blankly ahead. The instructor told the class at prep school what to study. Keitaro started listening again when the instructor said, “The results of the last test and the rankings of your fellow classmates are posted on the wall near the door. It is an indicator of your current progress.” Keitaro was dreading this moment. He was having problems with prep school before arriving at Hinata House - meeting Naru only made things harder for him.
 
He thought, `I have enough trouble focusing on one school subject. Now, I just think about Naru all the time. I can't wait to see here again. Sigh. What's wrong with me? I've never felt like this before.' He gathered all his blank papers, he forgot to take notes, and slowly stood up to check his results. He shuffled slowly over to the paper with his head down. DOOM! Dead last. He looked again, just to make sure. He saw “Urashima” at the bottom of the listing. He slumped his shoulders, put his head down and slowly walked out of the classroom.
 
Behind him, Naru was remained in her seat and watched Keitaro. She was wore her baggy sweatshirt, thick circular glasses and her hair was tied in two thick braids. She thought, `He didn't recognize me. I wonder what's wrong, he looked pretty upset. I better check how I did.' She already knew she was one of the top students, but was surprised to see that Keitaro was the worst. She thought, `WOW! No wonder he is upset. Maybe I can catch up to him.' She looked towards the train stop and saw him get in. She ran as fast she could and jumped through the doors just before they closed. Panting, she said, “Huh, Huh, K-Keitaro.” He slowly turned around, eyes red and moist from tears. She said, “Huh, it's me, N-Naru.” She took off her glasses and gave him an encouraging smile.
 
He paused a moment and smiled briefly. He resumed frowning and then said, “Oh, uh, hey there.” He sniffled and wiped his eyes. He said, “What are you doing here?”
 
She tried to smile bigger to make him feel better and said, “We go to the same prep school. I was sitting in the front. Are you ok?” She blushed a little as she looked at him and thought, `What is this feeling overcoming me right now? I know it is not pity, but why do I care so much for him all of a sudden?'
 
Keitaro said, “I'm, Uh, I'll be alright. I just feel like I can't improve and won't ever get into Tokyo U. It's really frustrating. Sigh.” He frowned and looked down.
 
She said, “It can't be that bad. You have to try your best and keep going. I believe in you, I really think you can do it.” She reached out to Keitaro and gently lifted his chin. They looked in each other's eyes for a brief moment. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. She quickly turned away and was suddenly embarrassed. She thought, `Wow. What did I just do?' She said, “I, Uh, Um, I'm sorry. I don't know what just came over me.”
 
He thought, `Wow, she just kissed me. Her lips were so soft. She smelled nice too. What do I say? Eh, she probably just feels sorry for me, I must look pretty pitiful right now. Sigh.' He said nothing.
 
They stood for a few minutes in silence until a voice said, “Hinata Hot Springs!” The train slowed down. The doors opened and Naru quickly walked out. Keitaro followed and yelled, “NARU! Please, wait!” He caught up to her and gently grabbed her wrist. She turned around and blushed. He said, “Th-thank you for your kind words. I, uh, just get overwhelmed sometimes, and, uh, can't focus on some subjects, uhm, school subjects. Well, actually, every subject.” He gave her a grin and put his hand on the back of his head.”
 
She thought, `Phew. He didn't bring up the kiss.' She smiled and said, “Hey! I have an idea. How about we study together. I'm doing pretty good, we could be a team.” She tilted her head slightly and winked.
 
Keitaro's eyes brightened and he smiled fully, “Wow! Do you really mean it? You wouldn't mind? I'm pretty dense and I need a lot of help. I think it will be fun.” He thought, `I'll be able to see her more often. Yes!'
 
She laughed and said, “Heh, well it sounds like were partners. Uh, I mean study partners now.” She stuck out her pinky for him to shake. He was surprised. He had a blank look and paused for a second. He locked pinkies with her and they shook. They walked up to Hinata House smiling and talking…while…
 
Kitsune saw the two approaching from an open window. She thought, `Well, what do we have here? These two look awfully friendly all of a sudden. Maybe, a little too friendly.' She frowned and opened her wallet. She took out a picture and looked at it. She thought, `I wonder what would happen if…' as she walked to her room.
 
Later that night…
 
Keitaro sat down at his desk with his hand on his forehead. Several books and papers were scattered everywhere. He thought, `This stuff is just too hard! I don't want to look like a complete idiot when I start studying with Naru. (He frowned) Concentrate! At least figure out one of these problems.' Suddenly, two knocks came from the door. Surprised, he said, “Come in.”
 
The door slowly opened and Naru said softly, “Uh. Hey, Keitaro. Is this a bad time? I, uh, wanted to talk to you about something.” She grinned slightly. She wore a peach colored tank top and a short white skirt. Her hair was damp and wet the back of her tank top.
 
Keitaro stopped writing and looked up from his desk. He saw what she was wearing and thought, `Wow. She is so beautiful.' They locked eyes and they both started blushing. He said, “Uh. Uhm, well, come on in.” He shifted some papers, tried to arrange the books and hide his notes.
 
She looked at all the mess and asked, “Were you studying?”
 
He frowned and didn't look up at her. He quietly said, “Uh, yeah. I was just reviewing some of my math, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Sigh.”
 
She sat down across from him and blushed more. She said softly, “Keitaro. (She paused and they look at each other) I wanted to apologize for earlier. I hope I didn't upset you. I, well, you looked, and uhm, I shouldn't have…”
 
He grinned and said, “You don't need to apologize. You really made me feel better. Thanks.” He smiled and blushed. They both look down.
 
A minute passes and she finally says, “Well, ok. I just wanted to make sure. (She smiled) So what were you working on just now?”
 
Embarrassed, he softly says, “Problem 1 from page 142” and did not look up.
 
She said, “Oh, ok. Well let me see what you have written down.” He handed his notes and scratched out work to her. She looked it over and says, “I see your problem.” He looked up. She smiled and crawled slowly and seductively towards him. She placed one hand on top of a piece of paper, slipped and fell forward on top of him. Their faces were only inches away. They gazed in each other's eyes and started to get closer to each other. She suddenly said, “Uhm. S-Sorry! I, uh, slipped on s-something.” She quickly jumped up, said, “Uh. I have to go.” and ran out of the room.
 
He thought, `Wait! Please. Don't go.' And laid on the floor by himself and looked at the ceiling.
 
Down the hallway from Keitaro's room…Shinobu clutches some papers and a textbook. She thought, `I will just ask him something about my homework. Then I will be able to talk to him…'