Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Disclaimer/Infopedia *Readme 1st* ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
***Disclaimerstuff***
First of all, the characters of the original series such as Lisa Hayes, Admiral Gloval, Claudia Grant and the rest (such as Rick Hunter and other heroes of Robotech) are of course property of Harmony Gold! The rest of this fic such as the main plot and other "non-original" characters are property "Groovechampion" (SGT_$parki) and Chris Caldwell, who plays as a character himself in this fic.
So no legal worries, I hope.
I am aware that such enormous forewords are not wanted, but since I see this as a project, I find it important.
 
So in other words, this is a “far-out” fanfic with a universe of its own.
 
 
 
***Things you should know***
This Robotech/Macross fic is actually still a work-in-progress job and therefore is a not-finished story (yet). Unlike many of the great fics here at mm.org and ff.net, this fic flows as an ongoing epic-story - Somewhat real-time. Writing is not really my strength, especially when I',living in Germany - so I'll just excuse myself already here and now. Feedback and reviews belong to the things I wish readers to post, even if they have not read the whole fic (you would need time for it, hehe).
 
Currently, I must work my way through the whole fic from the beginning, adding new ideas and plots, so I'll be adding a short comment at the chapter-selection when a chap has been updated.
 
This story is a long-time project that started at least a year or two ago. In order to give the reader to understand the story without having to read annoying comments right in the middle of the plot, the following topics with short descriptions should help to understand. The technical stuff will mainly be sci-fi based - doing the best I can. I will try to avoid as much spoilers as possible. The following should also be seen as a type of "Robotech-o-pedia", similar to the one found at Robotech.com.
 
Certain military ranks and other titles that deal with ranks etc. are fictional - Especially the names of the duties of the bridge officers have been slightly altered, in order to maintain a type of difference between them (despite the usual military rank system). Unlike the original series, a few additional "stations" have also been added such as one that deals with navigation/maneuvering of the SDF-1, including a new character that more likely has the unique 'ability' to control this station.
 
"Battloid = Battleroid"
I prefer to call the "humanoid-mode" of Valkyries "Battleroid". No big reason why - think it sounds better. Soldier mode will also be used as an alternative.
 
"Rated 'R' O_o?"
This fic contains blood, a certain level of violence and occasional scenes with `lemon' (please do not ask what exactly is meant by `lemon' ;-)). The fic is not truly rated "R" throughout it's plot, but it was set to this level just to make sure that none of the "younger readers" read this fic.
(Chapters with anything close to `lemon' or so will contain a small advice at the chapter-selection, so no worries :-))
 
“Does this fic contain what Mediaminers call - `lemon'?”
Ok ok. Well, the fic does contain certain, em, adult scenes, but these will definitely not go over the limit (This is another reason why this fic is set on `R'). But don't worry, those chapters consisting of `adult love' scenes will have the appropriate warning in the chapter selection. Anyways, `lemon' is really hardcore - so don't worry, hentai is not available (even though a selected few asked for it ;-)).
Update: Informed myself over the mm.org forums - What actually exists in this fic is “Lime”, the `softer' version ;). Just a warning, hehe.
 
***Why are you making such a long fic?***
The fact that I hate very short stories or long ones with plenty plot-holes kinda encouraged me to write and my buddy on the other side of the world (actually, I'm the guy who`s on the other side of the world :D), Chris Caldwell, who acts as a character and an author. Starting from a simple plot about a year or two ago, we've continued along with the help of many friends around the world that supported us. Once you start, you can't stop :) I, myself, am not doing it for any prestige, money or any thing alike. Nonetheless, it's a chance to make an own story just by using time, a keyboard and the advice of friends. I hope to learn how to write better, so reader comments and reviews are welcome, no matter if good or bad. This fic will also be the basis for following sequels.
 
Note: The stories mentioned above are not the ones meant here at mm.org ;-)
 
***Speech within the fic***
In order to keep an overview between different speech forms (such as thinking and communication speech) the following type of quotes will be used:
"...." he say. Referring to the number of quotes. This is the standard speech you know.
""...."" He said. This means the person is using communication devices, like radios for an example.
"""...""" He thought. This means the person is thinking, speaking to himself, which no one else can hear.
 
Generally, conversations with "" that are held over commlines usually ends with a frequency scratch.
 
As the story exceeds, many readers will notice “strange writing” when it comes to certain conversations. This is done on purpose, especially to bring in the feeling of accents, since many people of many nations reside in and around the SDF-1 (It's a small world), such as the French pronunciation. Nearly everybody on the SDF-1 will speak English. Some will speak as usual, some will have bad language/grammar and others will speak perhaps in a manor that is likely to be unusual. Alien and foreign languages are written imaginatively, which means that they have no real meaning in real life (since I don't know how to speak Russian, for example)
Note: In order to give the Chinese accent the common “exaggerated” pronunciation in speech, certain words will be written in capitol. If you feel this is unnecessary, feel free to email me or put your opinion about it in a review.
 
 
 
---***The RT-Universe***---
 
Here are the main things that are going to be different from the main version of Robotech, but before I start, I need to explain a few things. Although this story will deal with the first Robotech-War, the plot will actually take place around the timeline where the SDF-1 is between Jupiter and Saturn somewhere in the Solar System and the epic-battle will more likely not be fought against the Zentraedi forces directly. In other words, you could say this fanfiction story belongs to the "alternative universe".
 
 
***The original SDF-1***
The SDF-1, which crashed on Macross Island in the original Robotech, has a length 1210m long and later has a capacity of 3500 crewmen, 1500 pilots,11000 troops + personel and approximately 70,000 civilians. This data was taken and can be viewed at: http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=6 . It is advised to read it's short story as well as the timeline, in case you possess no knowledge about Robotech/Macross (best would be to view the timeline as well to give you a better orientation:
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/timeline/viewevents.php?s tartyear=1999&endyear=2014&primaryseries=MAC
 
 
 
***My imaginative SDF-1***
My SDF-1 must contain more people, space, and undiscovered decks... which means longer and larger. In order to make it clear, this SDF-1 version must contain space for at least 2,000,000 people (more or less). Yes, this is a lot, but in order to make the city inside like a real city, more people would be needed. The SDF-1 itself is therefore like maybe 10 to 12 kilometers long and definitely larger than the original (talking somewhat about the moon being the size of earth, as a rough example). Of course, Macross Island would also be a lot larger than normal, so that this gigantic fortress would have enough space to crash-land on.
 
Update: I forgot that many readers might be unfamiliar with the metric system - So the imaginative SDF-1 would have the size of approx. 8 miles. Of course, the length is very exaggerated, but is necessary. The SDF-1 in this fic would be longer that Babylon 5 (for those fans who don't know, the Babylon 5 station is approx. 5 miles).
 
"Looks so small from the outside, so why things are so big inside?"
At this case, the space "inside" large objects (such as the SDF-1) will more likely be expanded - making the "inside" seem larger than the outside. The sense of this is give the reader a type of feeling of being a really big city. Each district is accessible by gigantic gateways that can be shut down and sealed (more later).
 
“MITZ/MIT”
Macross Island Time Zone
 
“Gravity”
The outer hull of the SDF-1, which is made out of Hyper-Carbonite, possesses a slight magnetic effect upon objects around it. Especially Veritechs, which are usually mainly made of standard Carbonite, are able to stand, move or hover over the hull without the negative effect of drifting off in space, unless they leave the area of effect. The magnetic effect is a naturally weak effect, but can be enhanced and intensified by the settings of energy flown into certain regions of the Veritech. As an example, a Destroid battle unit would tend to have a lot more carbonite and thus a higher traction/friction level than the common VF-1 Valkyrie.
Inside the SDF-1, including the bridge citadel, gravity is slightly different. A gigantic Protoculture gravity unit is exactly between the upper city deck and the lower under-deck (explained later). Providing the city with a similar gravity like on Earth, there are certain physical aspects that apply differently, such as Veritechs (mainly Destroids and especially Valkyries). The gravity-effect of this unit upon Carbonite is dampened and sometimes even tends to anti-gravity effects, causing the Valkyrie to have a very low traction upon the ground and in air. This is very dangerous since many areas areas of the inner city is densely habitated. While this side effect is a definite disadvantage, which does not allow Valkyries to operate well, the RDF can still have Valkyries transported throughout the city with any trouble.
Upon organic creatures, such as humans, dogs, cows or other animals within the city (and hydroponic farms), although gravity feels like on Earth, there is a slight difference, especially when people jump. Often, the citizens of the Macross City deck are often reminded not to jump in enclosed areas with low ceilings, especially due the fact that the gravity unit of the ship only applies weak and slow to `sudden physical changes'. There has been several cases where certain people received embarrassing head injuries and traumas by accident only because they ran up the stairs too fast as well as a very long and unsuccessful searches for grav-golf balls in recreational districts - But never the less, the gravity is able to maintain a constant `grip' upon single people within a few seconds. Over a longer period of time, it can get a little bit hard to escape the constant `grip' of the unit.
<Remember: This is all fiction (despite that this is a fan-fiction). In the original city, everything and anyone could walk or move without any problems ;-)>

**Change in History** (!)
The Soviet Union in this fanfiction is a “non-hostile version” of the original USSR of the past. The well-known Cold War that happened between the original USA and USSR did not take place in this fanfic. Though independent, the USSR has remained allied to USA, though many parts of country was misled or taken by the AUL.
 
However, during the events and months in space, the Soviet Military onboard the SDF-1 are totally unaware of the event of the USSR that took place after all: the collapse caused by remnants of AUL.
In a future sequel of this fanfiction, it will be likely that the Soviet people of the SDF-1 will suffer a culture shock on their return with Earth…
 
**Upper half of the Macross City deck**
“Northern districts of the Macross City deck”
Filled with a mix of buildings, open space, vacant fields, facilities and a variety of military posts and compounds that have direct transport systems to the upper Veritech launch decks, the northern districts was filled with habitants and recreation parks. Although these many of these districts possess several military posts, they do not possess the common military integrity of the eastern and southern districts. These areas were well suited and filled with families, hydroponic-farmers and other former inhabitants of Macross Island.
 
“Western districts of the Macross City deck - Pleasure and Jail districts”
During the last months before the ceremonial launch of the SDF-1, the RDF and other military organizations were able to capture thousands of Anti-Coalitionists who threatened Macross Island with serious bomb threats. Due to the circumstance of the upcoming launch, the RDF was unable to relocate the outlaws and prisoners on time since each day brought another group of terrorists behind bars. Planned as a backup plan, several western districts of the upper half were altered and reconstructed to a very large detention camp - probably mankinds largest jail ever - which had enough space, walls and towers to maintain all prisoners until the SDF-1 has launched and was capable to relocate all of them to one of the large cargo transport ships in orbital positions… However, this plan backfired…
Upon the first attacks of the Zentraedi and the misfold to the outskirts of the Solar System, Admiral Gloval was neither able to relocate them somewhere back to Earth nor able to reintegrate the prisoners into civilian public of Macross City. Despite the shared situation of being far away from Earth, the Anti-Coalitionists and other outlaws were not willing to support at all. The odds were too high that they would do absolutely anything to sabotage the efforts of the SDF-1 and the RDF. Admiral Gloval required much patience in keeping these hordes of outlaws under control - especially since those who were recently common criminals immediately joined the imprisoned Anti-Coalitionists. Luckily, these districts are held tightly under law enforcement controls and until today, there has never been a jailbreak or security breach. Months have already passed by until now and Gloval and the RDF have forgotten the captured Anti-Coalistionist, not knowing that these groups were more likely a sleeping catastrophe just waiting for its greatest chance.
 
Another problem occurred during the months after the misfold… As for the needs of the adults, the governmental staff of the Macross City deck was forced to construct several areas of “adult recreational districts” around the jail districts. Although Admiral Gloval was not pleased about this, he had no choice but to accept and respect the fact that all `exotic' desires of the civilians were needed to be pleased. These areas mainly dealt with the topic of “sex” and all of its matters, fitting those who had the need to spend their earned credits in “other” things. Both, the Pleasure and Jail districts of the western sector of the Macross City deck, were off-limits for under-aged children. To avoid severe trouble if a jailbreak should ever occur, only law enforcement centers and buildings reside. “Military power” was either moved towards the central districts or found elsewhere.
 
**Lower/Southern half of the Macross City deck**
All districts that lie in this area are more likely seen as the `capitol' section of the SDF-1's military operatives and civilians. Filled with tall buildings, tight security, military troops and many industrial sectors, this section is the best-protected area in the whole city deck.
 
 
 
 
"The Reflex-Cannon and the Hyperdrive-System"
Another major change is that the SDF-1 itself does not need to transform into the "Mecha-Version" to have the energy-conduits be connected to fire off the Reflex-Cannons, nor will the transformation option be available - So in other words, the SDF-1 would be able to charge and discharge it's Reflex-Cannons in cruiser-mode without the need for transformation.
(Note: In this fic, however, due to a certain incident, the use of the Reflex-Cannon will be terminated...).
Similar to the original story, the Hyperdrive-System of the SDF-1 has disappeared after the misfold near Pluto.
 
***Operation-Stations and Command Units of the Bridge Citadel***
 
Perhaps interesting for those readers who are new to the Robotech continuum, I've added this section so that you could understand how things work at the bridge of the SDF-1. Very easy to understand especially for those who knows about StarTrek ships.
 
An image from the original series: http://www.egotiger.com/sdf1bridgefar.jpg
A close-up of the internal area: http://tatooine.fortunecity.com/gargoyle/225/sdf1interior1.jpg
 
**The bridge**
Unlike the original series, the internal area of the bridge will also be a lot wider and filled with many bridge operatives, commanders and officers of the RDF. From an overview point, the bridge is seen as two divided sections. The frontal section (towards the gigantic window ), which takes nearly 3/4th of the whole bridge, consists of many sub-operation stations and units that supports the rear bridge command section. Having an overview over the frontal section, the rear command section is four meters above the frontal section. This area is where all leading bridge commanders, including Admiral Gloval, have their stations. Usually, Admiral Gloval's orders are given to the bridge officers and operatives around him who then distribute his orders to the frontal sections. Especially orders led to Lisa Hayes require the support of the frontal section that deals with fleet command operations. Although there are different secret possibilities to gain access to the main bridge, the bridge can only be entered by the access door at the command section. Many guards beyond this access door guard the corridors to other rooms and sections of the bridge citadel.
 
*Rear bridge command section*
 
"Admiral's Chair"
- Admiral Gloval's station
 
As for every typical of battleship throughout the RDF, the 'Admiral's Chair' or 'Commander's/Admiral's Seat' is indeed a seat filled with all systems needed in order to contact the frontal sections of the bridge. Placed at the center of the rear command section, the Admiral is surrounded by primary stations such as Sensory and Engineering and others, making it possible for the Admiral's orders to be fulfilled within seconds. While many see this seat probably as the most comfortable seat within the whole battlefortress, many nonetheless underestimate the responsibilities and duties that are burdened within it. Typical for the behavior of Admiral Gloval, many operatives admire his endurance in sitting on the same spot longer than a day - Constantly looking like a worried king on a cursed throne.
 
 
"Fleet Control Operations"
- maintained by Fleet Commander/X.O. Lisa Hayes' station
 
Probably one of the most important stations aside from sensory and engineering, this station deals with the monitoring of all Veritech-Units, specifically Valkyrie-Squadrons. Connected directly with the secondary flight-control-deck just ahead at the lower sections, Fleet Commander Lisa Hayes possesses full control upon all units that are stationed, launched or deployed. The upper console area consists of special phones, controls for alert status and a 'minimized' version of a sensor grid that allows her to see the vicinity of the SDF-1 The main console below also contains a large touch-sensitive screen and integrated keyboard pads. Another vital aspect of this station is it's direct link to the Protoculture Datacore, which possess secrets and information of the Zentraedi. The translation of the Protoculture language is a skill that only Lisa Hayes and Vanessa Leeds possess. Automated translation-systems require a lot more time to compute and distribute this difficult sophisticated language. Requiring much attention, this station belongs to one of the most difficult to maintain, especially due to the fact that it inherits many responsibilities that can decide over life and death of every single pilot out in space. This station lies a few meters ahead and to the left of the 'Admiral Seat'.
 
 
"Communication Operations"
- maintained by Bridge Commander/C.O. Claudia Grant's station
 
Although this station may have many similar aspects to the Fleet-Control-Ops station, this station is used primarily for communication control of internal and stationary military units throughout the whole ship. Having a row of sophisticated systems for communication, Bridge Commander Claudia Grant has full control of Destroid Battalions, the internal "law enforcement" (Police and Military) as well as the control to the tactical gunnery station ahead in the lower section that maintain all offensive and defensive turrets everywhere along the hull of the SDF-1. In other words, it is up to Commander Grant to hear everything - see everything and know everything that moves within and around the SDF-1. In many cases, Claudia does her best by supporting Lisa Hayes in fulfilling extensive orders. The Communication-Operations Station lies ahead and to right side in front of the 'Admiral's Seat'.
 
 
"Sensor Array/Sensory/Surveillance Operations"
- maintained by Sensory Officer - 1st Class; SDF-1 Operative; Specialist/Officer Vanessa Leeds
 
Sophisticated and highly detailed in efficiency as well as the largest section that uses most of the space in the rear command section, this station indeed performs itself as the 'eyes' of the battlefortress. Using the newest system from 'Holographic-Visuality' technology, this gigantic screen that nearly spans across the right side of the 'Admiral's Seat'. While the user does not require a large pad, he - or this case, she - must be dexterous, flexible and aware, as this system can easily detect super large objects or fields of massive units - mainly Zentraedi battle pods. The sensory station itself is connected directly to the sensor array dish of the SDF-1 which is able to detect, scan and survey hundreds and thousands of kilometers ahead - However, the ability to understand and interpret the collected information, including visual identification requires highly skilled officers who can deal with holotech systems. Although the screen is deep blue, it is able to focus deep and precisely onto any target as well as the vital ability to detect the current position the SDF-1 in the Solar System. Scientists have also discovered that the SDF-1's sensor dish possesses the unique ability to pinpoint its position within the galaxy... That is, if it should ever go so far out. However, weeks - or even months - of patience would be required.
Similiar to Lisa Hayes' station, the surveillance station also possess a direct link to the SDF-1's Protoculture Datacore, allowing it to identify alien vessels and other unidentified objects. For sure, anybody can maintain the rather simple and obsolete radar - but when it comes to space, radar is seldom reliable, despite it's reputation from the past - From this point, this is where highly skilled specialists are needed. Belonging to one of the best in her class during the academy, Officer Vanessa Leeds maintains this highly delicate system like no other officer or substitute. Unknown to everybody around her, a holo-picture of a certain Valkyrie pilot and her is hidden below her console...
 
 
"Engineering and Power Allocation Management Control"
- maintained by Engineer Officer - 2nd Class; SDF-1 Operative Kim Young
- also maintained by Engineer Officer - 3rd Class; Sensory Officer - 3rd Class; SDF-1 Operative Sammie Porter
 
As for SDF-1 Operatives Kim Young and Sammie Porter, both of their stations possess the aspect of having various numbers of screens and displays, as well as a large variety of diagnostic systems. Having the ability to gain access to multiple areas of the ship, it is Kim Young's job to maintain every system of the ship that deals with engineering and internal operations, the ship's defensive systems of all kinds, interior crew management, and most importantly, the Protoculture Powergrid Allocation. More likely surrounded by nine main screens and several other secondary systems, it is clear that she cannot maintain all systems at once, but she has learned to handle the stress as well as to welcome the support of her friend and crewmate, Sammie Porter.
Especially when it comes to the need of a decent communication flow between the bridge and the lower decks, Sammie Porter is able to provide a helping hand - even though she does not always seem to be a person who can handle much in a stressful situation. It has happened often that Admiral Gloval has ordered her to maintain the offensive Gunnery Operations during certain attacks despite her low ranking and her naive and inexperienced manor in leadership. Contacting the combat ships held within the hangars of the SDF-1 also belongs to Sammie Porters daily duty as well. Unknown to all bridge officers, Sammie Porter also possess a hidden picture of a certain Valkyrie pilot... The same person that Vanessa's photo reveals. Both stations are behind the "Admiral's Chair", to the left and right side. Just between both stations lies the primary access door to the bridge command center.
 
*Frontal bridge command area*
 
-commanded by Commodore John Travis
 
While many sections within the frontal area only deal to support and redirect orders from the rear section, there are certain stations that do possess unique aspects. Commanded and supervised by Commodore John Travis, his tactical advice and strategical knowledge are fulfilled by each station.
 
"The 'Consciousness' of the SDF-1 - Navigation Control/NavCon Interface"
- maintained by Chief Navigator/Dr. Karen-Lindsay Young (Sister of Kim Young)
 
Although the SDF-1 can be controlled from the rear bridge command section, it has often been proven that this special station can maintain the navigational controls of the whole battlefortress only by the hands and mind of a single person within a matter of seconds. Ever since the first launch of the SDF-1, this station has shown it's unique aspect for the first time. Definitely, it would have taken a lot more discipline, work and concentration of Kim Young and Sammie Porter to compensate the same balance issues of the thrusting systems that have occurred. Throughout the years long before the repairs upon the SDF-1 were completed, Dr. Young has spent her most of lifetime understanding this system (perhaps one of the reasons why her younger sister does not possess a tight relationship with her), especially ever since she joined the RDF's Research Department that deals in-depth with secrets of the SDF-1 and Protoculture.
Being the first and only person who has entered the world of PSI and Telepathic Operation, Dr. Karen-Lindsay Young is the only "pilot" who has the potential skill to control the battlefortress and "feel" the "consciousness" of all nearly all systems throughout the ship - Very often a surprise for Sensory Officer Vanessa Leeds as Dr. Lindsay Young often detects and sense incoming objects deep within space long before they are detected on her holo-screen. The appearance of the Navigation Control is a very interesting sight among the bridge crew. From what they can see, the navigator can "lay" on a comfortable seat-bed surrounded by a smaller version of a blue holo-screen, as well as two grip-controls and thin holo-panels connected with hundreds of cables.
Each time Dr. Lindsay Young's skills are needed, she slowly climbs into her so-called "sleeping chamber" and lays on simple and yet sophisticated virtual-reality headgear - which at first has a transparent blue color, then turns totally into black when activated - that covers up the upper half of her face. Already used to the activation sequence, Dr.Lindsay stays calm and relaxed. Undergoing a rather dangerous procedure, at the very moment she lays her hands upon the grip-controls of the Navigation Control, her life signs drop into a state of coma - and yet - she is still at consciousness. Stated from her very own words, at the moment she opens her eyes again, the mist of another world surrounds her.
While many would imagine her in a cyberworld, it is a lot different than expected. Although floating in a rather dark blue and foggy area, she can hear many things around her... Voices, sounds of energy, noise from hundreds of frequency-lines and even echoes of her own heartbeat and breathing can be heard. It took a long while until she was able to get used to such noise as well as improving her "accessing ability" between her and the SDF-1's inner world. Able to understand the voices in reality, Dr. Young can fulfill orders within seconds - Should it be simple course corrections or the need for maneuvering the SDF-1 out of any danger, she is the best navigational pilot Admiral Gloval can count on. It is only the matter of her mind and concentration to "tell" the ship when to active this or that certain thruster. Instinctively operating the controls in reality, her hands move the grip-controls at the same time, supporting her navigational requests. If there are any things she needs to report, she simply contacts the person she wishes to speak with over the internal bridge commline - Occasionally, her words appear upon their screens.
Another interesting fact of her abilities is that she is also able to maintain a physical and mental status exactly between both reality and virtual-reality worlds. This is the situation where her VR-headset is deactivated (blue glass and transparent) - however still shows a sign of being hypnotized and under a "state of shock", as her eyes do not react. At this state, she is able to perform her duty for hours... even days without the interruption of the common "human-needs". Some bridge officers tend to call her "zombie" as they wonder how she can do such a task more than a few months.
This mysterious and yet unique station lies at the certain of the frontal station, surrounded by the fleet-command-deck and other secondary stations that support the rear command section.
 
 
"Flight Control Deck"
- maintained by certain officers and many SDF-1 Operatives
 
While the main goal of this "station" is to support the commands of Fleet Commander Lisa Hayes, it is their duty to uphold communication and status of every single unit throughout all Veritech squadrons at all times- no matter if Destroid, Valkyrie or any other Veritech. The RDF and the fleets of squadrons within the SDF-1 require the guidance of this unit especially during combat alerts.
 
 
"Gunnery Operations"
- maintained by certain officers and many SDF-1 Operatives
 
This station deals with the pure use of the hundreds and thousands of turrets, cannons, long range cannons, energy weapons, missile launchers placed all around the hull of the SDF, as well as the Reflex-Cannon. Though sounding simple, the task of every single gunner is a lot more difficult than expected. It requires much knowledge in aiming skills and the physics of space and vectors. If the use of the Reflex-Cannon is needed, the Gunnery Operation station requires a clean and constant communication flow between them and the engineering deck, since the Reflex-Cannon need the power of the Protoculture power core and its so-called Powergrid.
 
 
"Internal Enforcement Operations"
- maintained by certain officers and many SDF-1 Operatives
 
Acting nothing more else than a small but superior "command headquarters" for all types of enforcement units - This station commands all military and police forces throughout the ships, mainly those stationed throughout the Macross City deck. Overviewing and diverting the commands of officers, many operatives usually contact the commanders of those certain forces using their consoles for internal communication and navigation (Internal mainframe maps of the inner city, usually).
 
----
 
There are another selected few of stations and operations, but many of them only deal as a matter of supporting other stations and units throughout the bridge citadel.
 
----
 
***Organizations, new Governments and Nations of Earth***
 
In order to give the reader a better orientation in the background story, here is a explanation of the few major organizations on Earth. These organizations do play a vital in the plot. The world back then was at war (Third World War) when the SDF-1 crash-landed on Macross Island.
 
 
-“United Earth Government"-
Formed by many world leaders of Earth after the SDF-1's planetfall during the Third World War, many nations have founded various numbers of administrations and organizations. One of most important ones founded was the Robotech Defense Force, short RDF. The RDF dealt in-depth with a possible threat of an alien force called the 'Zentraedi'. Although many nations have signed peace-treaty agreements and the world conflict has ended, a selected few of the nations were not satisfied with the regulations of the new worldwide governmental organization.
The United Nation Organization have made countless attempts in solving minor conflicts around the world diplomatically but their efforts failed. Underestimating the consequences of their failed efforts, a new hostile organization has forged itself from those nations that stood against the UEG... lead by so called "Anti-Coalitionists". The UEG today consists of many American and European Nations, especially those that belong to the UN.
 
 
-"Dynasty of China - Under the fangs of 'Greater East Asian Coprosperity/AUL'"-
Years ago, China has had conflict of it's own as it's nation begun with the question for the freedom of individuals, having both the military and the government questioned their sense of existence. The conflict between military regiments and the population exceeded into a landscape-wide battle across China as the civilians revolted for a more democratic nation. Years of bloodshed and military actions against the nation have gone by until both sides have decided to form a blood truce agreement.
Having arguments in having the government lead by democratic or communistic organs and not able to find an agreement, both sides have decided to choose a neutral governmental method, which had many similarities with a constitutional monarchy and pure dictatorship.
Following the traditions of China's history, the nation has revived it's long old forgotten heritage. Due to unknown reasons, leaders of the military suddenly had a conflict between it's ideological view of the world and the way how the UN and the United States lead their troops around the world, moving from one part of the world to another - acting like a world police... A fact that the military of China did not accept at all. Unable to retrieve power over the military on time, the newly pledged emperor for ruling China was forced to see his own military pull the whole nation and it's allies into an unwanted war, only because the military feared their own existence. As the Third World War occurred, the nation of China was forced to fight a war instanced by their military...
After the long war, the planetfall of the SDF-1 and finally gaining power over the military, the New Dynasty of China has decided to maintain a neutral status between the UEG and the Anti-Coalitionists - although leaving the option free for volunteers to join any organization under the UEG. The UEG and especially the RDF profits from the deeds and skills of the civilians of the New Dynasty who have decided freely to support the resurrection of the alien ship.
 
“Status of the Chinese Military in the RDF”
Although the New Dynasty of China proclaimed neutrality, the situation between the UEG, the AUL and China has calmed down after a few years. As more and more Chinese people relocated themselves on Macross Island, the UEG slowly began to notice their strive for discovery and adventure - and the crash-landed alien vessel surely had more than plenty to discover. Deciding to give the opportunity for China again, the UEG renewed its request for the full participation of China's civilian population and military as well as the possibility to take part as pioneers in the exploration of the alien ship. In order not to violate the terms of neutrality, China accepted the UEG's request under certain regulation. Although the Chinese military forces must follow certain orders of the RDF, they are still obliged to serve the Dynasty of China. As the years went by, the RDF granted China's military forces to enter the secret projects “Excalibur” and “Valkyrie”, which dealt in developing Robotechnology-based weapon systems. Although both technology projects developed Destroids, the Chinese have decided to use VF-1s as the primary military unit within their air force.
As the threat of an alien attack slowly became to be the prime concern of the RDF and China's Air Force, it was clear that RDF would need all the support it could receive. Despite the limited numbers of Chinese squadrons, it became clear that they would suffer high losses if they were to enter direct conflicts - That is, IF it should ever come to a conflict. Deciding to improve the weapon systems, they have altered the basic version of the VF-1 significantly. One of the main aspects of their special VF-1 was that is not made for direct close-air combat, but developed for the use extended range weapon systems, especially one of the most feared and yet efficient missile systems - armed with a cross-developed Proto-Nuclear warhead, a high yield weapon that can cause major destruction upon a vast area. Probably the most important aspect, this weapon can deal massive destruction upon an area without the usual nuclear fallout. In order to avoid any protests, these missile types can only be deployed in outer space (more information about this weapon system and the Chinese Valkyrie can be found at the RDF Veritech Unit section, a lot lower).
 
 
“Current status of the Chinese Military onboard the SDF-1”
After months of battles against the Zentraedi, the Chinese military and civilian population is trapped on board the SDF-1 in space like everybody else. Although the Chinese military supports the RDF and the SDF-1 the best they can, they do not fully follow the orders of Admiral Gloval, since the Chinese Force is independent and does not belong to any unit of the SDF-1. Acting as the chief in command, General Li Wenlong has full command over the Chinese faction of the SDF-1. During the last battle against the Zentraedi, the Chinese faction suffered heavy losses that forced the General to recall all Chinese military units away from space combat. Although the General tries to support the RDF, he is mainly concerned about the Chinese civilians onboard the SDF-1, who mainly reside in the eastern districts (more information can be found at the faction section).
 
 
-"Nations of the Anti-Unification League/Anti Coalitionists"-
Simple as it was, those nations that did not either belong to the UN (or later to the UEG) were those who were often presumed as financial supporters of the AUL. Claiming neutrality was not easy at all. While the UN would do everything to protect weak nations, the AUL would overrun them ruthlessly. It was also common that certain nations and governments splintered themselves from each other due to unequal ideological interests. Acting as the main aggressors who were responsible for the Third World War, it was clear that their goal was pure world domination, long before the crash of the alien battlefortress. One of the interesting facts about the AUL (and the later AC) was there was absolutely neither any information about the leaders nor the whereabouts of their whole HQ. It was only clear that the AUL was a truly hostile global organization…
As waves of conflicts occurred around the globe, there was no real chance in telling who was gaining the upper hand. The UN, the forces of the US, and several other nations had severe difficulties in maintaining a foothold against their enemy. Years later, only until the SDF-1's planetfall event and the discovery of Robotechnology, the UN and the other nations around them found the sign of success slowly rising upon the horizon. Fortunately, the integrity of the AUL crumbled away several months as the newly formed UEG focused on the use of newly discovered alien technology, especially after the mass production of the mecha-warfare series `Valkyrie' and `Destroid'. Winning the war, however, did not bring any light into the dark world of the AUL's history. In fact, their defeat led many of the nations who followed their world plan in a fog of illusions. Despite the victory of the UEG over the AUL, the situation around the globe struck fear once again as the new threat slowly rose from the dust of the AUL. It was a new mix of nations who were formerly enemies that forged a secret alliance against the UEG after the Third World War. Unlike the first and second World War, the followers of this treacherous league can not easily accused simply by their nationality.
 
-“Germany, France and other European countries”-
Although many of these countries belonged to the UN, many of them were forced to survive on their own as the AUL had their forces spread around the world. Years went by as these countries fought for their liberty. As the world went through this war, it slowly became clear that they would not manage to survive if they would not work together as a unit.
 
-“Africa… The struggle for freedom”-
Only after the end of the Third World War, Africa finally survived its long struggle for stability and food. For decades over decades, Africa stood under the flames of its own conflicts and distress. Millions hungered and even more were unable to defend themselves against the warlords covering the land with their private armies. As the AUL slowly began to find more supporters around the globe, these warlords found the AUL would bring them the pure chance in gaining land and financial power over the people. As the cry for freedom and liberty went around the globe, it became clear that the UN could no longer look away from this country and its conflicts. If Africa were to fall totally into the hands of the AUL, then it would be the first step to the downfall of the free world…
As the armies of the warlords were heavily fortified everywhere at every corner of Africa, it became clear that the UN would need the help from the oppressed population as well as the need for several task forces to gain foothold against the standing armies. As the years of the Third World War went by and the UN gained the upper hand, it became clear that their success only became true thanks to the nations struggle for liberty and individuals that forged alliances to support the UN and task force operations. As the Third World War ended, Africa finally managed to reach its goal in gaining stability.
 
 
---***The City inside the SDF-1***---
As everybody knows, the city inside the SDF-1 is called "Macross City". The city (or "Main City Deck")itself expands nearly throughout the whole ship and is full of large district areas. Each district has a vital function, which is important for all aboard the ship in order to survive the flight throughout the deepness of space. There are many engineering sections throughout the ship as well, including industrial and other mechanical areas.
 
***The status of the civilian public***
 
"Anti Coalition Faction"
Unlike the original plot of having the civilians just "worrying" around and following every order the RDF, there will be many civilians and others who do not wish to cooperate with the RDF at all. These people more likely belong to the forgotten faction of the "Anti-Coalition Faction" - which was seemed forgotten as a threat ever since the celebration of the SDF-1's takeoff.
Unknown to the RDF, this faction has somehow made its way onboard and they do not know (yet) that they are still actively trying to stop the RDF with all measures. They are truly hostile to any action of the RDF and would do anything to retrieve the hidden secrets throughout the ship. Throughout the districts of the Macross City deck, various groups still try to sabotage the RDF in any way they can - From revolts to other covert operations, every successful operation always led the RDF into a maze of mysteries... It is true that this faction acts behind the shadows the RDF - Until now, the RDF was not able to figure the roots of the sabotaging acts.
 
 
"Robotech Defense Force (faction)" (short RDF)
This faction usually consists of all those who operates as military personnel of the whole ship - from commanding officer units to operatives and pilots - even the police forces for upholding law and order. The RDF onboard the SDF-1 is commanded by Admiral Henry J. Gloval, the highest ranked officer onboard. (Although Gloval is promoted later in the original series, the rank Admiral was acquired a lot earlier to apply the pure command of the entire ship) Mainly, the RDF takes the responsibility of protecting the SDF-1, it's crew and people, from constant attacks of the Zentraedi. The Veritechs, also know as battlemechs, are used as the military force of defense. The RDF has the largest amount of squadrons, troops and crewmen throughout the whole SDF-1.
 
 
"Engineering crew - (RDF)"
Due to the fact that the SDF-1 is full of engineering sections in order to keep the ship operational, many civilians and other mechanics have devoted themselves into controlling the vital systems of the ship, including district systems such as power, lighting, holo-sky images and others. Consisting mainly of those who can deal with difficult systems or with a simple wrench, the RDF counts on every engineer and volunteer who wish to support the crew.
 
 
"Macross City Police Force - (RDF)" (short MCP/MCPD)
Ever since the first Zentraedi attack many civilians were forced to board the SDF-1 and start a completely new life right after the misjump towards the outer rim of the Solar system. A great number of civilians often revolt and are uncooperative at certain times. Some are even willing to take hostages... It has been reported that many criminals of the past have seem to boarded the SDF-1 as well. Nonetheless, the police takes care of keeping the city safe and upholding the common law.
 
 
"Military Ground Forces - (RDF)"
There are many different types military bases with connections to the upper decks (usually to the Veritech docks) throughout the districts. If any threat should ever board the inner city of the SDF-1 and attack, these ground units would be the first respond immediately. From the common soldier to military specialists and field combat hardware, the military ground forces provides a standing army which can enter any state of emergency where the police forces fail to uphold control. Especially when it comes to inner-city troop deployments or evacuations, the army often relies on special grav-helicopters known as “Carryalls”.
 
 
“Civilians (all)”
Unfortunately pulled into the conflict between Earth and the Zentraedis, civilians of all nations were forced to enter the SDF-1 and seek protection from the alien fleet and the deepness of space. Having no chance but to try to survive the next day, they have always been productive for the SDF-1, as it was clear that if the SDF-1 should lose the war, they would be in peril as well - despite the small portion of those who revolt against the orders of the RDF.
 
“Chinese Military Force - (CMF)” (short CMF)
Lead by General Li Wenlong, who is the supreme commander of all Chinese citizens, the Air Force and Army, the CMF has pulled itself away from all conflict situations due to great battle from the last few weeks. The CMF has a standing army of 7000 soldiers as well as 1000 skilled Veritech pilots who serve the Air Force. Seen as the supreme comander upon all, General Li Wenlong is obliged to protect and serve his people at all costs, whose destiny was pledged by the emperor of the New Dynasty. His skills and orders have never been opposed or questioned ever since he became the supreme leader. The General also belongs to the main council participants of the SDF-1, who decide over the future of the SDF-1.
 
“Soviet Strike Force” - (SSF)
Lead by General Gregori Slavanov, the Soviet Strike Force is a small faction of soldiers and pilots who were stationed all around Macross Island. Forced by the misfold to the outer solar system, this faction supports the SDF-1 with their military strength the best they can. During the first months in space, the Soviet Strike Force severe losses of their VF-1As. Taking this fact seriously, the General ordered the engineers with the support of the Research Dept. to develop a new heavy assault Valkyrie. As time went by, they managed to bring in the “VFD-1A Dragnadaya” into production as well as a total refit of the remaining VF-1As. Ready for their first mission, all pilots under the SSF's command have finished their advanced training. Known for their slyness, many RDF pilots rival against the SSF pilots, although they both possess the same goal. Toughness seems to be an aspect that suits the Soviets well onboard the SDF-1. The Soviet Strike Force is one of many military elite corporations of the Soviet Union, mainly consisting of military personnel supporting the RDF.
 
<Several other factions exist onboard the SDF-1, but these are minorities… generally>
 
***The "Majestica" Oberth-class - Unique Heavy-Destroyer/Cruiser*** (Background story)
 
During the first Zentraedi encounter at high orbit above Earth, the RDF have sent four Oberth-class Destroyers and Armor-Class ARMD Carriers and fleets of defenders to support the SDF-1. Besides the SDF-1, these Oberth-class vessels belong to the pride of the RDF fleet. Holding their positions in a tight formation around the SDF-1, they suddenly received a deadly surprise as soon as the sun appeared upon the edge of the blue planet... Hundreds of streaming long-range plasma beams shot among the fleet, shredding nearly every large vessel besides the SDF-1, which remained undamaged.
 
The barrage only lasted about 30 seconds - but it did reveal the strength of the Zentraedi fleet. The crew of the RDF immediately focused its operations on retrieving survivors of the fatal attack and figuring out a solution in how to escape or buy essential time for the fleet to recover. It was a tragic view observing the piercing beams cutting through the hulls of the Oberth-class vessels. The "Kenosha" lost various numbers of it's crew and engineering sections - especially the bridge area never had the chance of survival, the "Quebec-Lee" lost more than the half of it's hull - Although many escape pods could be retrieved, hundreds of equipment parts and other vehicles were thrown out into space due to high decompression... The "Hildegard" received multiple hits which blasted through certain power plant core sections causing the ship to loose all of it's power. Most of its crew survived but were trapped in a dead vessel rotating powerlessly with the fleet at high orbit. The last ship, probably the luckiest among the four vessels, received various numbers of hits from smaller beams rather than more intensive ones - from all Oberth-class vessel, the "Majestica" was the only ship able to respond back to the SDF-1, giving it's confirmation for full support of protecting the SDF-1.
 
Picking up another energetic charging event from the Zentraedi vessel from hundreds of kilometers away, Admiral Henry J. Gloval, the supreme commanding officer of the SDF-1, has decided to perform a full retreat by activating the hyperdrive-systems. For him it was clear that the Zentraedi's priority goal was to retrieve the SDF-1 - any opposition would be destroyed within seconds.
 
Preparing the sudden operation, the quantum-physic scientists of the RDF Research-Dept. confirmed that the procedure could be done and that the destination drop-point would lead toward the rear side of the moon. When the hyperdrive procedure occurred, the field generated around the SDF-1 expanded at a tremendous rate. Unable to control the field-expansion, it's area of effect started to drop down through the Earth's atmosphere and Macross Island...
 
After a gigantic prismatic flash, the SDF-1, a very large portion of the space fleet and the Earth's atmosphere and Macross Island and the surrounding ocean, including both super carrier's "Daedalus" and the "Prometheus", disappeared. Hours later, somewhere far away in the outer rim of the Solar System a large hyperjump-anomaly bubble flashed and revealed the battlefortress, it's fleet and their attackers, Macross Island with a large mass of water surrounding it and an atmospheric protection once again.
 
Navigators of the fleet have confirmed that their current position was somewhere near the elliptic orbit of Pluto. After a long struggle defeating the remaining enemy forces, which have been transported, the crew of SDF-1 has decided to rescue every single person on Macross Island, salvage any useful gear from destroyed crafts and other tasks. As the days passed by, engineers have came upon the idea of upgrading the remaining fleet. Seeing the "Majestica" as a stable platform, the engineering crew from all ships have concentrated on improving all of it's systems - including the attachments with damaged ARMD-Carriers and the three other severely damaged Oberth-class vessels. Working as efficient as they could, they managed to upgrade many areas of the ship without trouble. The SDF-1 and the frozen Macross Island remained long enough undetected by the Zentraedi, giving enough time to develop this new vessel.
 
Strategy commanders knew that a single Oberth-class vessel could never compete with the similiar Zentraedi destroyer. Therefore, the engineers were ordered to concentrate their operations on upgrades that could definitely support the fleet's capability versus such threat. After two months in deep space, most of the upgrades have been completed. The result was a new vessel that had the versatility of a cruiser, the superior firepower of a battleship, a much larger capacity for Veritechs and it could even be able to docked right under the SDF-1. Introducing new ways of Veritech combat deployment, the newly christened "Majestica" is able to launch several squadrons within a few minutes. One of it's major advantages over the SDF-1 was that the new "Majestica" possess a large number of turret fields that can fire off "Zarlon Particle Cell Ammunition" and also contained a large number of anti-interceptor flak-systems as well.
The crew itself consists mainly of those who survived the attacks upon the four destroyers. Although the ship is rather a prototype than a fully operational ship, they were able to keep the ship at it's full potential.
During a certain day, scans have suddenly shown that the atmospheric value around Macross Island in space was starting to dissolve. Also parts of the frozen ocean were starting to crumble due to an unknown matter. Admiral Gloval ordered an immediate evacuation of the troops and others from the Island and decided to lift off from their position. Leaving what was left from the island, the whole area collapsed as the violent grasp of vacuum finally destabilized the atmosphere, either crushing or tearing anything that stood exposed to space.
 
During the journey back to Earth, the SDF-1 and it's fleet was once again confronted by Zentraedi forces - but this time, the defending fleet stood better versus their enemy. The Zentraedi battleships were unable to land critical hits upon the "Majestica" thanks to its new propulsion systems. Until today, the "Majestica" has proven itself as one of the best achievements of engineering innovations ever since the discovery of the SDF-1.
 
Currently, the "Majestica" is docked under the SDF-1 and is at green conditional alert...
 
 
***The undiscovered "Sub-Deck"...***
 
Although the Macross City deck of the SDF-1 is the largest inhabitable area of the ship, another similar deck lies deep under the city. This area is somewhat dark and full of undiscovered mysteries. While it does contain life-supporting systems throughout the area, the crew of the SDF-1 is completely unknown to its origin and contents. Only civilian technicians and other volunteers who wished to explore this dark and secret area have colonized a few “sections”. Even upholding a stable communication-line between the upper and lower deck is nearly impossible. Simple frequented emissions such as radar or radio are somehow absorbed or reflected by the Hyper-Carbonite material and other super-alloys around.
Life deep below the city is not so bad - Many of the colonists have gotten used to the constant darkness and the very soft draft of wind due to unequal air-pressures throughout the whole deck. Just a small military force protects the outposts and colonist bases. Connected by railways, trains and other transports are used to transport troops and equipment through to the outpost areas. Establishing only a few outposts throughout the whole lower deck, the colonist continue to explore the area, despite the fact of the SDF-1 being under attack from time to time. Currently, the communication systems deep under the city deck are being repaired due to unknown circumstances.
 
 
***The RDF's Veritech Squadrons, Battalions and special Units***
 
Veritechs, or "Mechas" in other words, are massive hulks of military vehicles that are powered by Protoculture-Fusion-Drives. Unlike conventional military vehicles, these Veritechs are more efficient, capable of exceeding beyond usual limits.
Keeping a separation between the Veritechs, "Destroids" are generally ground-based Mechas - usually advanced defensive units with high capabilities in use of anti-aircraft weaponary. "Valkyrie" is the general classification of Veritechs that are capable of transforming into three different modes, allowing it to improve it's combat ability in certain situations. Valkyries belong to the RDF's primary intercepting aircraft versus the Zentraedi fleet. Currently, the RDF and their mechanical engineers have completed a row of newly upgraded Valkyries and other mechas...
 
 
"VF-1D Valley-Cat" - Hybrid Prototype Valkyrie
 
Ever since the SDF-1 continued its struggle back to Earth, it became clear that the RDF required new innovations to improve their stand against the Zentraedi. From countless prototypes, a certain row of Valkyries have been refitted, tested and are waiting for their first true combat in space. Seen as a special crossover between the casual VF-1D rookie-trainer Valkyrie and the typical Destroid, this new row of Valkyries have been classified as "VF-1D Valley-Cat".
Unlike the standard one-seater 'VF-1A' and 'J', the 'D Valley-Cat' variant contains two seats with two certain differences. The strategists of the RDF have figured out that the survivability belongs to one of the pilot's most major concern that could even demoralize him or her in tough situations - A fact not to be ignored. Another interesting fact that is the key difference between usual Valkyries is that the VF-1D Valley-Cat has been fitted with another layer of a special armor alloy along it's hull and wings. In common battles, pilots have experienced much trouble when it came to direct hits from the usual Zentraedi Battlepod beam. The hit from this beam did not even require to be a critical hit to already damage a VF-1 significantly - At some cases, VF-1 fusion drives tend to discharge and explode, tearing the whole fighter apart within a blink moment.
Introducing the new alloy-type of armor plating, this alloy called "Mercurnite", a different version of the common armor type "Carbonite", can absorb a high percentage of intense beam and kinetic energy. Without interfering with the maneuverability of the "Valley-Cat", this prototype could definitely suffer a higher damage capacity before needing to return to base.
 
As for VF-1As, VF-1A pilots are aided by secondary A.I. systems that take over certain systems such as target analyzing and maneuvering systems. No matter how high a common experienced pilot is (Roy Fokker excluded), he or she cannot always be focused on every single active system - especially when using the Battleroid-mode. The pilot himself is simply overwhelmed by keeping their attention on various systems.
The VF-1D Valley-Cat's pilot seat has the primary control of the Valkyrie. All maneuvering and thrusting systems have been upgraded and are lead completely by the pilot (in all modes), including the new NNH2VS-Gloves: "Neural Hand-to-Veritech Support Gloves": Gloves which supports the control of hand movement when Valkyrie is in Battleroid mode. Without them, handling hand movements will be far more difficult, but still usable. All pilots have these. Thanks to the advanced evasive systems, this Veritech allows the pilot to be alerted ahead of time as well as to be lead freely by navigational systems - very helpful during combat situations. The pilot has only limited control on targeting systems, however.
The backseat of the VF-1D Valley-Cat is for the RW co-pilot. The "Radar-Weaponary" co-pilot is a trained pilot for all combat systems of the Veritech. New targeting possibilities such as thin fiber-glass touchpads around the pilot himself allows to target outer moving objects simply by touching the surrounding glass to the desired target. RW co-pilots may not be the best maneuvering pilots for Veritechs, nor do they have control to all systems - but they belong to the best of the best when it comes to targeting the enemy.
Furthermore, the helmets of the RW co-pilots have another glass-visor over the eyes, which aids the co-pilot with eye-displayed information projected by microscopic laser-displays emitting from the glass. Every RW co-pilot must be able to maintain their concentration as well as to possess high dexterity abilities in being able to target, compute and manage the sophisticated pads. Able to be fitted with several weaponary systems easily, engineers have also claimed this flexible unit filled utilitarian slots as a `gunship'.
 
Leading back to real combat situations, the pilot must be able to count on the capabilities of the co-pilot and vice versa. Getting used to it could be tough, but there have been prognoses that the survivability would increased the more the pilots get along with each other. The effectiveness of a single VF-1D Valley-Cat could support more than 10 VF-1 Standards at once without loosing it's own combat efficiency.
Following the tradition of the old F-14 Tomcat, the VF-1D Valley-Cat has the advanced capability of having more hardpoints for weaponary systems as well as the common flexible wings - A main 47'er Bolter Gunpod/Cannon-Rifle, auxillary internal ammo-casing, upper and lower special hardpoints for setting any type of launching systems and the typical missle-holders.
Unlike the usual 55mm Gunpod for VF-1s, the 47er Bolter Cannon-Rifle has a very high rate of fire as well as a high negative heat development. Luckily, this Gunpod uses the natural aspect of space to cool down its system. The ammo casing itself is actually a drum fed with a long chain of 650 rounds. Flying in Fighter-mode, the Cannon-Rifle can replace empty ammo-drums within seconds. There has been plans in giving availability to Protoculture powered weaponary systems, but officials of the RDF Research Department have decided to continue their research on discovering Protoculture totally before giving confirmation for its tactical use - Due to the true fact that Protoculture is indeed a technology full of mysteries, power and dangers.
The only downside of this special Veritech is that if any pilot were to fall out of commission in combat, the survivability chance would drop at a dangerous rate, leaving both pilots vulnerable. Following safety protocols, if any pilot should be out of commission, they should withdraw from any combat situations and return to base if they are able to. Currently, engineers, protomechanics and manufacturing teams have managed to produce a large number of prototypes Valley-Cats as weeks of quietness among the SDF-1 went by, not even being attacked by the Zentraedi.
 
Ready for their first true combat mission, the cockpits of these Valley-Cats are waiting for pilots to finally man them. Many pilots among all squadrons are anxiously waiting to test the new gear and mechas - and yet, none have been assigned...
Yet...
 
 
“VF-1A Red-Dragon” - Heavy Artillery/Siege Bomber Valkyrie of the Chinese military
 
While the normal VF-1 tends to be the backbone of the RDF, it was clear that these units would only be efficient in large groups. Having only limited groups of squadrons in service, the Chinese military was sure that sending these limited squads of `simple' VF-1s would end up as “cannon-fodder”. Based upon the common VF-1A, the Chinese military decided to alter and expand its abilities. It took another year until their developers finally found a true task that would support the RDF better than usual. Their goal was to develop a unit that had the potential firepower of a “Monster” class Destroid as well as a large arsenal of long-range armaments with devastating power.
Introducing the new VF-1A “Red-Dragon”, the “Dragon” proved itself worthy as a symbol of pride, knowledge and power in the fleet of the Chinese Dynasty. Its codename, “Red-Dragon”, was given after its significant red color, as the result for the composite armor made out of Carbonite and Marsite, an abundant redish mineral found throughout the whole SDF-1. Declared as a heavy assault as well as a heavy artillery unit, the “Red-Dragon” has a large row of heavy caliber projectile weapons and heavy bombardment missiles. Unlike the common VF-1A, the VF-A “Red-Dragon” is a very unflexible and slow unit when fully armed with its bulky heavy weapons. For instance,the first primary long-range missile, the “Lao-Fang” Proto-Nuclear missile, is in fact a powerful tactical missile whose length exceeds those of usual missiles totally (roughly 5 meters/ 14 feet long). Having the capability of setting its destructive sphere-area of between 250 and 570 meters - high yield shockwave or a short-life nuclear contamination - It became clear that these weapons could destroy a large number of enemy units with only one missile. Able to carry four of these super large missiles (Two in the upper and two in the lower hardpoint areas of the Valkyrie), the “Red-Dragon” is only capable to a very slow flight speed during Battleroid mode and can only launch these passive-guided heavy missiles in Fighter mode. Heavy bomb versions of this missile also exist.
Another powerful weapon within the arsenal of the “Red-Dragon” is the prototype weapon system “Gauss Siege Catapult”. The Gauss Catapult itself, having a total of 48 or 28 rounds, depending on its caliber type, is actually a patch of quad artillery cannons that are connected to the same hardpoints where the heavy missiles are normally attached, one upon each hardpoint area. Crossing Bolter along with Gauss technology and the caliber types 330mm or 405mm (the smaller and the common type of caliber used by the “Monster” class Destroid), the “Red-Dragon” is capable to shoot down heavy units with a single barrage. Each barrel has a very long length that reaches up to the cockpit. Before these quad-cannons can be fired, it is indeed urgent for the pilot to maintain a very slow flight speed, perhaps even a full stop to avoid being shaken by the shear brutal recoil force generated by these cannons.
Of course, one Gauss shell cannot compete against the Zentraedi's “Zarlon-Particle Cell”, but it still is the first step in gaining the upper hand. When fired, all barrels are fiercely recoiled to the back to suppress the powers unleashed and as they propel towards the back, a new round is loaded into the barrel's chamber. While many pilots find this weapon system unusual and unnecessary, they do underestimate its true advantage: To fire a very large projectile with pinpoint-accuracy over a remarkable distance. Fired in single-fire mode, the pilot could even fire a constant stream upon far away targets - However, this is not advised since each shot cause the Valkyrie to be pushed back. One tactic though is to spin the Valkyrie around its axis, making it possible to suppress. Another projectile type itself was produced to dissipate in atmospheres to avoid any dangers if it should ever fall upon a planet and is only used for outer space artillery barrages. If the “Red-Dragon” should ever find itself in close combat, it would use its secondary rifle - The GU-11H - A 70mm semi-automatic version of the GU-11 with 55 rounds of ammo, which only deals as a short and medium ranged weapon if they should ever be engaged.
A variety of special cluster bomb packs were also used during the last conflict against the Zentraedi. Specially designed for the Chinese Valkyrie, these cluster bomb packs, codenamed `Dragonfangs' (CB-84), belong to the arsenal of mostly used weapons - right next to the tactical nuclear missiles. One pack carries a batch of 45 small curved mines that do seem to have the shape of claws. Commonly used against large targets, these clusters are capable of dealing massive destruction upon any large ship. Either deployed by high velocity or catapulted by burst units, the `Dragonfangs' can cover a vast field with explosions within seconds. Though not designed for the use against small units, pilots do use its high rate of fire as alternative close combat flak for their GU-11H.
Upon all systems, the developers also refitted the “Red-Dragon” with their own systems, including their language. While this Valkyrie may be the best unit for artillery support, it is indeed vulnerable against beam weapons. All in all, the “Red-Dragon” has already been seen in battle, but does not stand a real chance in close combat. Recent upgrades have allowed this Valkyrie to be fitted with even lighter artillery Gauss cannons to expand its capabilities. Seen as versatile weapon platform, the “Red-Dragon” belongs to the best mobile Veritech units that possess superior firepower.
 
 
“VF-1D Ciel-Danceur/Sky-Dancer” All-Purpose Scout Valkyrie
 
Evolving from the famous PY-7 "Ardvar Reconaissé" Survey-Glider of the French D'Assault Militaire, which served many years during the rough Third World War, the story and heritage of this Valkyrie is unlike those of the others. As the War took its place in history, the D'Assault Militaire lacked in aggressive power, especially when it came to proving air power against the AUL's air and ground superiority. Long before the UN was able to enter conflict between Central Europe and the AUL, France and Germany were forced to stand against the threat. Although Germany was able to maintain its borders, it was clear that their defenses would crumble after a matter of time - and if Germany would fall, France would definitely be the next target. Working together was the key to success…
While many aircrafts, vehicles, armors and soldiers were sent to battle, nobody ever expected a small but fast recon aircraft would receive such popularity. The PY-7 belonged to the first supersonic recon jets, which were fitted with state-of-the-art equipment for wide area survey and the capability to fly either high above in the sky or way low just above the treetops at blinding speed. Long before the enemy would know of its presence, the PY-7's surveillance systems would already have accomplished several scans, photos and surveys of the area. Although it was capable of carrying a single heavy bomb, the information it gathered such as the enemy's strength and movement was a lot more valuable rather than trying to land a surgical strike. From time to time, PY-7s were sent deeply into enemy territories where the enemy would know of its presence at certain cases and would activate all of its defenses. From evading dangerous flak fire to barrages of ground-to-air missiles, the PY-7s outran every single cunning unit trying to blast them from the sky. Speed was the key to its success and no matter how heavy the defenses were the “Ardvar” always came back home safely, leaving the enemy's leaders behind in anger.
 
Following the footsteps of this aircraft, the RDF redeveloped a VF-1D for recon missions during the last year of the Third World War against the AUL. Primarily made of Carbonite and Corbite, a very light alloy found in the SDF-1, the new “VF-1D Sky-Dancer” is able to reach an astonishing flight speed as well as an outstanding altitude ceiling level without loosing its maneuverability greatly. As for the “D” version of the Valkyrie series, this scout requires a co-pilot to maintain all surveillance systems, such as teleoptics, cameras and the defensive weapon systems of the Valkyrie. The designation of this Valkyrie can be misleading, since its main task lies in scouting and not in fighting. For defensive capabilities, the “Sky-Dancer” is fitted with a Protoculture power plant that produces a higher output than the standard version, allowing the scout to be fitted with energy based weapons, such as a rear dual barrel beam turret on the upper side of the Valkyrie's body. Seldom does this Valkyrie carry light missile packs and a GU-7 cannon-rifle (single barrel 20mm rifle with cased ammunition, 500 rounds). Despite the fact that the “Sky-Dancer” is not a true fighter, it has often seen battles in space during the last months after the misfold incident. Its high flexibility always made it possible for both pilots to survive. The “Sky-Dancer” is a favorite among French pilots and has served nearly just as long as the common VF-1A.
As the SDF-1 continues its journey back towards Earth, Admiral Gloval has planned to take an alternative course leading to Mars with the intention to investigate the loss of contact to “Mars Base Sara” and the colonization fleet - Mankind's first major colonization attempt upon the red planet. Although aware of “Sara's” global position, Gloval is sure that the Zentraedi might be responsible for the loss of contact and has planned several Operations in which the “Sky-Dancer” will play a vital role.
 
 
“Jupiterite Armor Chassis” short JAC
 
Being the opposite of Corbite, Jupiterite is a very dense material found in great quantity inside the SDF-1 and in salvaged Zentraedi alloys. Although this alloy type is able to withstand a very high amount of kinetic, explosive and beam energy, it is definitely not the better than the superior Hyper-Carbonite. Acting as a second (and third) armor skin, almost every Valkyrie type can be fitted with this armor-suit for very high costs of their maneuverability. This armor offers additional protect to the cockpit to the similar heat shield mechanism when entering a planets atmosphere. The chassis also contains several disposable missile carriers and ammunition casings to expand its armaments greatly. Due to the high body-mass ratio, Valkyries are greatly hindered in mobility. While the RDF, the Chinese Air Force and other factions with Robotech hardware seldomly use this bulky armor system; the rather large and heavy “VFD-1A Dragnadaya” of the Soviet Strike Force commonly uses an advanced JAC as its primary armor outfit for combat.
(Note: Valkyries fitted with JAC tend to similarities with the later Version of fighters called “Alphas” of the “VFA-” and “VFB-“ series - from RT: Next Generation)
 
 
“VFD-1A Dragnadaya” Heavy Assault/Gunship Valkyrie of the Soviet Strike Force
 
As the Soviet Strike Force received Robotechnology and later the RDF's request for the production of a heavier unit against the Zentraedi invaders, it became clear that the fleet was in desperate need of a mobile unit, which could withstand damage beyond the levels of a VF-1 and additionally carry a massive pool of anti-mecha weapon systems. As the standard JAC Valkyrie “outfit” only brought minimal success due to its negative effect upon maneuverability, the concern for survivability slowly became a major concern for the SSF as well. If the situation needed to bring in several weapon systems into battle, several units of VF-1As would be required - and the losses were generally high during first months deep in space. Discovering a useful solution, the engineers of the Soviet Strike Force developed a new version of the VF-1A Valkyrie, combining the flexibility of a Valkyrie and the armor and firepower of a Destroid. After another month of research, the new “Variable Fighter-Destroid” has finished its development stage. Ordering a complete refitting operation, the General of the Soviet faction onboard the SDF-1 recalled all VF-1As and upgraded them to the most heaviest Valkyrie unit in the fleet - The “VFD-1A Dragnadaya” for heavy assault operations.
Compared with its Valkyrie counterparts, the VFD-1A has several aspects, which define its unique appearance. Standing 15.5 meters tall, the “Dragnadaya” nearly three meters taller than the others. The VF-1A under this hulk can be seen stretched skeleton with an advanced JAC coverage, offering much space for several weapon systems and an outstanding protection for its pilot. While many RDF pilots my find the cockpit very tight; many Russian pilots are used to the narrowness and feel very comfortable - knowing that the massive hull protects them. Noticing a major difference between the right and left arm, many pilots wondered if it was really necessary for arming this Veritech with such a heavy main gun, which consists of a primary Packard 125mm long barrel smoothbore cannon with the capacity of 175 shells combined with a secondary GU-11 and a wide blast shield on its right sideside (When in fighter mode, the cannon is held on the right lower half of the Valkyrie). In order to bear such heavy weapon, the right arm of this Valkyrie is heavily fortified and requires high energy output from the Protoculture power plant. While the main cannon is only intended for battleroid mode, the fighter and guardian modes offer a large variety of weapon systems. Upon the upper and lower body half, between the two main missile-cases both sides, lies an automated twin-barreled 23mm turret integrated (upon the upper and lower side in fighter mode), which are able to lock on targets independently with deadly accuracy, especially thanks to its flak-ammunition. Last but not least, the fuselage and legs offer several slots for missile cases, expendable holders and deployable drums on each side holding several small short-range missiles. Due to its bulky fuselage, this Valkyrie requires longer to time to transform from fighter to battleroid mode. Currently, the VFD-1A “Dragnadaya” squadrons have entered full service after the last major conflict between the SDF-1 and the Zentraedi due to the fact that many pilots have recently ended their advanced training.
 
 
“VF-1P Paladin” Commander's Valkyrie
 
Throughout the last battles against the Zentraedi, many mid-ranked officers suffered under their helplessness as they saw the enlisted rookies being overwhelmed by enemy fire and there have been reports of certain heroic officers who have sacrificed their VF-1J along with their life in order to rescue a threatened squad mate. Officers have been plagued by the losses of their comrades within their squadron and it seemed as if the more were shot down, the more did they feel the urge to throw their self between enemy fire.
In response to this situation, the RDF needed a way to ensure both the lives of the officer and the person he wishes to protect. Evaluating from development department, they presented the VF-1P “Paladin”, a modified version of the VF-1J Valkyrie suited and coated similar to the JAC, however based on all armor types with modular armor plating and a special detachable shield able to repel enemy fire. As for the term “modular armor”, the plating can be charged, offering an acceptable resistance versus heat and projectile weapons without affecting its physics in mobility. Generally, projectiles or energy charged beams are absorbed among the whole fuselage, causing the great amount of damage to be reduced to a minimum. As for the shield, it offers additional protection versus direct fire.
Known for toughness and high durability and thanks to its multi-targeting capabilities, a “Paladin” can easily take on multiple aggressors - of course depending on the skills of its pilot. The “Paladin” is not invicible, however.
Unlike the common VF-1J, the “Paladin” exists to protect other Valkyries without worry of sustaining severe damage itself. Pilots, mainly officers, require much courage to put their self between enemy attacks in order to protect other squad members from certain death. For the case of suffering too much damage, the pilot is able to jettison depleted armor, causing the VF-1P to return into its true state, the VF-1J. As for its durability, the VF-1P “Paladin” is second to the legendary VF-1S of Field Commander Roy Fokker and the pre-concept of the later VF-19 “Excalibur”.
 
 
"ES-17 Kestrel" Advanced Surveillance Carrier for deep space operation
 
As Veritech squadrons continued their struggle on defending the SDF-1 during the last months, the SDF-1's crew and their pilots have noticed that combat situations never tend to always be at the vicinity of the SDF-1. It has happened often that these squadrons were forced to go beyond the secure range of 150km away from the SDF-1, making it impossible to have an acceptable chance of survival in dangerous emergency situations. Although the "Majestica" itself flew ahead into battle, it was often forced to either fly at high speed and performing evasive maneuvers - making clean docking procedures impossible - or try to go head-on-head versus Zentraedi vessels as the Veritech squadrons fend off the hordes of Battlepods.
As the time went by, it became clear that the fleet needed a flexible unit that was able to act as a forward base, able to retrieve or deploy units, as well as to detect any incoming dangers and retreat far before the enemy would reach combat range. Once Again, the RDF Research Dept. worked in-depth with the Engineering crew of the SDF-1 and have developed a new type of vessel within a month that indeed seemed as a hybrid between a small carrier and a surveillance ship. The ship needed to have the capability of carrying Veritechs (specifically Valkyries) within its cargo, ammunition and repair capabilities as well as highly sensitive sensor systems. After days and weeks of intense research and development, the RDF Research Dept. finally introduced the "ES-17 Kestrel". While seeming very large and yet bulky, the "Kestrel" surveillance carrier is able to carry six Valkyries within it's "bays" as well as four in it's storage bay exactly within it's hangar docking bay - allowing them to be swapped and dispatched with ease. Fitted specially for deep space missions, this carrier contains everything that the crew needs, no matter if Valkyrie pilots or carrier crew. From a sickbay and briefings rooms to the hangar bay and resting sections, for sure, the "Kestrel" carrier has proven itself already as a vital ship in the fleets of the RDF. Today, this carrier is also used as a "shuttle" transport to bring crewmen, pilots, equipment, cargo and Veritechs to other vessels of the SDF-1 that have been dispatched (such as additional ARMD carriers and the "Majestica"). Unlike the “ES-11”, the Kestrel does not possess the typical radar dish.
The carrier itself is not expensive in material costs, making it possible for it to be mass-produced. Using a special composite mix of standard Carbonite, fortified Aluminum plating, plastics and reinforced Titanium shielding, the engineers that developed this ship discovered its gravity-unit could handle its grip a lot better than the unit within the SDF-1. Also nicknamed as `Whale' and although seen as a very bulky carrier, it can offer acceptable protection versus energetic and heat weapons such as the Zentraedi's typical beam cannons - but never the less, the “Kestrel” can only sustain a certain amount of punishment and is very vulnerable to piercing objects such as projectile weapons. Crews of the “Kestrels” do fear projectiles - especially those of nightmare-stories where Zentraedi "Zarlon Particle Cell Ammunition" would rip through the entire ship like as it were nothing. Pilots of Veritechs and specifically those of Valkyries are warned to double-check their aim, for their friendly fire can easily cause much damage upon the ship and the health of its crew.
Another aspect aside to the reputation of its lack in armor protection, the “Kestrel” possesses a row of active and passive surveillance systems that can distinguish almost anything around it. Although the SDF-1's sensor array is the most powerful surveillance system mankind ever has, a highly trained sensor specialist using the sensory station could compete against the SDF-1's small-object detection - perhaps the reason why this bulky yet effective is often successful in finding MIA/MIS (Missing in Action/Missing in Space). Many pilots do underestimate its unique capabilities as well as its speed (although it does react sluggish to course changes nonetheless).
 
***Dr. Vanderman's Report upon recent physical issues of female pilots in space ***
 
(A few days after the misfold event)
 
“”Report of Dr. Vanderman, lead scientist of the RDF Research Department.””
 
During training missions and physical tests of female pilots, we have come to the following result:
As soon the test pilot 1 left the bay, she seemed calm. But after 7 minutes within space, she started to feel uncomfortable. She seemed very disorientated and started to sweat. The first test was to handle her Valkyrie. In the simulator, she has not shown any signs of difficulties, but now, in free space, she suddenly confronted many complications in maneuvering easy flight techniques. After 10 minutes her pulse rate started to speed up to an unbelievable rate and began to suffer panic.
We were forced to abort the test flight immediately including those of other female volunteers.
 
This test has shown that female pilots tend to suffer under claustrophobic-like problem, which occurs when flying out in space. Our neural tests have also shown, that this problem occurs through unknown brain/neural activities. We are indeed out of clues or theories how this issue only affects women negatively - Men are not affected at all. From what we have discovered concerning their health, I, as the lead scientist, must claim the physical status of all female pilots throughout our fleet as endangered. Many women throughout the ranks of the RDF have already either declined another sortie or claimed their mental and physical status as fragile. This is indeed a problem we must face since the RDF requires the skills of these women to defend the SDF-1. Fortunately, a selected few can handle this problem, but still with major difficulties. Although we are forced to abort any deep space sorties for women, it is likely that their skills can still be used at the vicinity SDF-1 - but this is where our problem appears up once again. They are able to handle their systems as usual, but they are unable to maintain both controls and systems of Valkyries at once.
 
While this problem is a recent issue that only effects women, we have classified this "neural malfunction" as "Postneural-Aerospace-Syndrome" - or "PAS-Neuralis" in short. One theory does seem to have a piece of truth. Fellow scientists have come up with a speculation that the suffered stress during the hyperjump upon all has effected the women the most. However, we have yet to verify this speculation.
 
 
The research team shall continue its research on finding a solution.
 
---End of Report---
 
Dr. Johnathan Vanderman
 
""Report End""
 
 
***Dr. Vanderman's Report: The Void ***
 
(Two months after the misfold event)
 
“”Report of Dr. Vanderman, lead scientist of the RDF Research Department.””
 
There has been an intense solar flare event several months before the launch of the SDF-1. The sun of the solar system has catapulted a massive field of energy into space for the first time in at least thousands of years. While Earth will not be affected anyhow due to its magnetic field, our recent deep-space scans with the SDF-1's sensor array has shown us that this field of radiation will reach our position in few months. Due to its expanded area of effect, the SDF-1 will be unable to avoid it. Our estimations show that its bandwidth exceeds beyond three space sectors, which means that it is wider than 3000 cubic kilometers. Although the radiation itself will be far below the hazardous level, we must face the fact that communication and surveillance will be greatly affected by this field of invisible energy, which we have designated as the “Void”. Our previously planned Operation: Sara, which dealt with deep space communication to satellites of Mars Base Sara, will be hindered, leaving us incapable of contact until we leave the “Void”. We must also be aware that the Zentraedi will use this opportunity for hidden attacks.
 
---End of Report---
 
Dr. Johnathan Vanderman
 
""Report End""
 
--------------
 
 
*For your information*
There might be grammar mistakes and other typos thanks to my german/english mix up. I hope they don't pop up too often. However, I would really appreciate any type of review-comment, either good or bad (or worse).
 
*Special thanks*
- Goes to Chris Caldwell, Zeppo V2.0 and Ellie for their support :) especially for Chris' support as a character, too. And to Nikolle who is beta-reading, especially for beta-reading a fic of an anime series that she never heard of.
This fic has been done with love, care and helpful friends and I received help from fellow Fanfic'ers for feedback. Thx guys = : ) This fic also cost me time like hell, hehe.
- And Fanila, who gave advice in file-formats. ^^
Ever wrote chapter for chapter late night from 12am to 9am next day? You should try it out hehe.
- Another thanks to Nikolle for Beta-Reading without having any idea about the original Robotech plot!
 
I apologize deeply for the long talking. Enjoy!
(Updates will follow)
 
 
So, Here goes!
 
###Sgt_$parki out###