Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Chapter 4 - Unforeseen Complications ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

---- Chapter 4 ---- unforeseen complications…
 
Hidden among the thousand communication frequencies, a subtle and intense encrypted transmission is being sent through a certain channel - practically undetectable by the usual communication systems. Lurking within the chaos of broadband interactions, its goal receiver finally intercepts the transmission and listens to its content. The voice heard is so effectively encrypted that even the voice and the message itself contains severe interferences. Although the voice is garbled and hardly understandable, it is still possible to distinguish a female voice. The receiver took very long until it found a suitable frequency channel to at least make part of this secret transmission understandable, but never the less, the voice is combined with intense radio interferences. Having several holes and non-understandable words of this unknown woman said:
““… is Viper… - peration: Purge has…””, several words are not understandable due to the noise, “”…earlier than scheduled… Navigator detected…””, once again, missing words, “”… Yet… Viper falsified… transmission to… has been detect… ration: Purge begins now… Venom has…””, several seconds of fuzzing sounds, “”Viper…falsifified data… Reflex… beyond operational levels… Defenses greatly weakened… As V…m … Gloval is predictable… val has no chance… but to…”” - The transmission is suddenly stopped and saved deep within the system of the receiver, as its user wishes to listen to it later…
 
----
 
Filled with cilivians, building, restaurants, structures, parks, playgrounds and many more areas, Macross City continued its life as usual, ignorantly thinking that everything was back to their normal ways. As the RDF kept with their usual attempts in defending the ship, the civilians throughout the city lived their lives. Robert Jackson, who was aged 22 years old and a black American, was just the normal working civilian on board as any other person. Actually more likely lost in space like everybody else, Robert belongs to those unlucky people whose family was somewhere else on the world, probably not even knowing that their loved ones are still alive.
After having no choice but to board the SDF-1 after the misfold, Robert was assigned for an interesting job: Fixing civilian vehicles and other high-tech mechanical devices, since he was very experienced in electro-mechanics and other technical skills he learned back on Macross Island. As the months went by, he received several job queries that dealt with the military and the engineering corporations of the RDF. Although the RDF and its engineering crew would profit well from such a skilled person like Robert, he denied their queries, since he felt that the responsibility would be too much for him. Besides this, he did not wish to loose the contact of his colleagues at the workshop, especially since he was known as “Mr. Fix-it”. Even though he was seen as a person who was wasting his valuable talent, the RDF still continued their job queries - and Robert still kept to the shop.
Getting calls or tasks was his typical day - which was actually easy work - especially when alerts and civilian shelter calls were underway. Working rather late at `night' with his friends at the workshop, he spent most of his time fixing the hovercars parked inside. Although surprised by the short blackout that happened only a few hours ago, he got back to his usual work. Not knowing that a threat was coming closer, his normal life was soon about to change from its normal way...
 
----
 
As moments went by, the SDF-1 and its defensive fleet was about to confront the new danger. Just as the deadline went by, both the Zentraedi ship and the unknown organic mothership-like object reached the 25km radius around the battleship. At 20km, the imminent confrontation might be fought once again too close to the SDF-1… but there was still some `breathing room'. The crew itself was getting more and more anxious as they saw the gigantic object already visible far ahead.
 
Breaking the silence of the bridge, Vanessa's voice struck her surroundings in surprise. Although the Sensory Station was not working fully operational, the sensor array detected danger.
“Admiral!”, she shouted loudly, “The Zentraedi command ship has activated four of its long range weapon systems and began the deployment of three very large divisions of Zentraedi Battlepods … Detecting also four very large objects which have been launched from the vessel's body! Unable to confirm their identification, but their silhouette has the shape of long range siege missiles!”
 
The old man looked back towards the front and said, “… so they have finally decided to engage us… Our defensive fleet shall stand by. Officer Leeds, what type of attack formation can you see upon the three Battlepod divisions?”
Surviving the last few months and experiencing the way of how the Zentraedi hunt the SDF-1, it was Admiral Gloval's expectation to foresee the Zentraedi's attacking fleet to spread out, showing that there was no escape… but this time, Gloval has mistaken in his belief to the Zentraedi strategy.
Spotting all three groups and all four siege missiles taking a different course, Vanessa spoke up with a very confused voice, “Sir… This is… strange. The Zentraedis and the four missiles are taking a course opposite to our position.”
Lifting his head shortly, the Admiral immediately raised himself from his seat and walked over to the station of his sensor officer. “They are heading towards the opposite direction? Towards that... thing?”
"Affimative, sir...", she replied, sounding more surprised. Astonished by several large explosions and flashes far ahead, Gloval, the whole bridge crew and the defending fleet of the SDF-1 could see that the Zentraedi must have engaged the titanic object behind them. Numerous beams emitted from the Zentraedi vessel and struck upon the hull of the bio-mechanic ship…
 
"Seems like as if they are attacking the bio-ship...", Claudia said, “but why?”.
"Yes, Commander Grant!", she added, "but it looks like that the pods are not the only ones out there now. I'm not really sure... but I can detect an equivalent number of several other unidentified units around the bio-ship... I cannot identify them at all… I - I've never seen such things before…"
 
Claudia turned around shortly as she noticed what she just said, "Are they fighters?"
The young sensor officer tried to focus the array, but it was unable to gather any data about these small objects due to the fact that it lacked the needed power. But then suddenly, the Protoculture Database displayed a name for the gigantic mothership-like object.
"Wait... It looks like as if the Database found identification for that bio-ship... not much... A name... A name for the bio-ship...?", she spoke the name as she read it through, "In-vid Ar-ti-cla-tis Ma-exlae-aa... That is all, sir... The data base actually has more information, but it cannot be..." Vanessa suddenly interrupted her speech as she saw something happening on her large screen, "Sir! The `Invid' mothership is engaging the Zentraedi Vessel with great speed! I can also detect that the Zentraedi vessel and its Battlepods are retreating from combat as well!"
 
"What on Earth are they up to?!...", Gloval said loudly.
On her screen, the large 'Invid' ship started moving faster and faster, closing in on the Zentraedi vessel.
"The "Invid"-ship is very close to the vessel and it looks like the bio-ship has ... opened up its bow widely!... It... It is about to swallow up the vessel!" -
She paused all the sudden as the Zentraedi vessel signal started showing multiple readings and pulsing a bubble around itself. Recognizing what the Zentraedi ship was about to do, she shouted , "I am picking up Zentraedi reactor readings!", and turned around, "The Zentraedi vessel is about to hyperjump with an expanded sphere!"
"Blasting meteorites!", the old man shouted, "They are retreating... Making a run for it!"
 
The whole bridge crew looked ahead towards the front, looking outside... Hard to tell what was happening ahead. Before the vessel was completely swallowed up by the "Invid-bioship", a long and bright flash occurred... then emptiness. The Zentraedi vessel vanished along with its fleet of cunning Battlepods, leaving the "bio-ship" behind...
 
"Zentraedi command ship has completed its... Signal lost, Sir!", she said, then noticed that the "Invid" ship and its fleet was still continuing a direct course towards the SDF-1, "Tha - That `beast' and its units are still heading this way!"
 
"We better take precautions ... We do not know what type of 'enemy' this is - I do not think we can arrange this situation diplomatically at all...", the Admiral said and looked over towards Commander Grant and Hayes, "All artillery units shall stand-by for Delta-Strike III, full aggression."
Both Bridge Commanders, Lisa Hayes and Claudia Grant, immediately contacted all units, "To all artillery units…", and gave the orders through.
 
It only took a few seconds until they received multiple replies, such as, "Destroid battalions standing by! Destroids on defensive positions and ready for Delta-Strike III, full aggression!"
 
----
 
Still upside down, Mick, Foxyroxy and the hundred other Valkyries were still floating somewhere high above the SDF-1's hull. At first having his hands motionless on his controls, Mick shook his head a few times. He seemed annoyed, let go of his controls and crossed his arms.
"Darn it! This is getting boring... I wonder what is going on up there? Are they having a party?! And what the heck were those flashes ahead?", he said impatient voice.
FoxyRoxy remained quiet, until she noticed activity within the other veteran squadrons. Looking upwards and around, she spotted several Destroids, turret-cannons and missle-carriers aiming ahead.
"M-Mick?!", she said, pointing upward and straight ahead, "Look! The Destroids have just activated their weapon systems! Can you see the missiles-packs under their hardpoints? They've just blinked white! They're armed!"
"Huh, what's going on now?!", he replied back with a surprised face.
 
----
 
The Admiral went back to his seat, sat down and then said in a very loud and deep voice, "FIRE!"
 
----
 
Flashes…
A variety of beam-cannons started charging up, then struck in pairs ahead far across the hull of the SDF-1, lighting up the entire deck above the Valkyrie squadrons. Both Mick and FoxyRoxy suddenly shook as the countless numbers of colorful beams, missles and other objects blasted ahead from the Destroids and other artillery units. Several volleys of grouped missles flew so close past them that Mick even had the impression as if the units behind them only wanted to give them a scare. Again and again, beams over beams flashed beyond their sides, ahead towards the beast that was far away. Roars of heavy caliber turrets blasted shots after shots… and just after they heard distant voices along the commlines saying `cease fire - cease fire', the whole attack seized at once.
As he lowered his arm, all what Mick could say was, “Have they gone nuts!”
 
Right after the whole event, the voice of Fleet Commander Hayes ordered the fleet to engage the opposing fleet of the gigantic beast. Again, hundreds of thousands of Valkyries blasted ahead at blinding speed, leaving all whole rookie squadrons behind.
 
“”Whoa…””, Rooks' voice said over the commline, “”What a laser show…””
The left screen fuzz shortly, then revealed Major Bronco, “”Bronco here. Aw-right, this is getting a lot more serious than expected. I want my squadrons to stick to my cruising speed. We'll be going in as the second wave - so no big rushin'. Rixler and Genesis? You two will be second-in-command in combat so you two gotta keep an overview over our mates. Commander Vikksdottir, is your team ready to stick with us, over?””
Responding to his question, Commander Vikksdottir appeared on the other screen and replied in her common accent, “”Acknowledged, Major. Lead the way, over.””
“”Roger. Ok, all squadrons, remain in formation and stick to my wing. Prime all weapon systems and enter cruise flight II.””
Mick heard tipping and sounds beeping behind him.
His Heads Up Display, short HUD, which was a transparent screen above his main screen ahead started showing many targeting triangles, rectangles, circles and so on. His RW co-pilot took deep breath, then said in her soft voice, "All weapons armed. Like I said before, I will use the head cannon primarily and I will acquire missile targets for you. Firing missiles and the main gun will be your job, ok?"
Mick showed one thumb up and smiled towards her on the screen, "Got it! Are you ready?"
"Ready when you are, Mick.", she replied back. Mick could not see her face well, but it seemed as if she was smiling... The reflection of her helmet-glass cover most of her face...
"Roger!", he said, "then let's get to it!"
 
Bronco's dark-grey Valkyrie blasted ahead with cruising speed II... followed by the eight rookie squadrons. Mick's left display screen suddenly fuzzed again and then showed the face of one his squadmate, Jester, “"This is suicidal! Why am I here? I was here to fight Zentraedis! And not go on a sight-seeing space tour!”", who sounded really annoyed.
Linking into the channel, one of the female co-pilots whose name was `Piranja' also sounded angry, ““Yeah! I'm in the mood to kill a few Zen's and not tons of unknown bogies…””
“”Heh-heh… At least one person who's on my side…””, Jester replied back.
Mick's right screen also fuzzed, revealing Rooks, “"Well, it looks like we're in for some action, guys... I hope our new `friends' in the backseat will be kind and will shoot down the bad guys..."
“"You bet I will!”", a female voice said behind Rooks, "”And you better believe it!””
Jester smiled, “"Looks like your new friend really means it, Rooks!"”
“"Oh, shut up and get a life!"”, he replied back. Both Jester and Mick started laughing...
 
 
----
 
Back on the bridge...
Several blasts of explosions all around the incoming beast could be seen ahead… and it seemed as if the missile-barrage had no effect. Admiral Gloval turned around to Kim Young.
"What about that report, Officer Young! We'll be needing all we got!"
"Yes sir! I've done a complete check-up of all systems", she said back to him, "I am unable to get the main frontal defenses online. I ordered the repair crews to set up automatic-gatling turrets, Vindicator-class. 87.9% of our defenses are either offline or malfunctioning, sir."
"Don't worry about defense... Have those 'holes' covered up by a few Destroid groups."
"Yes sir. Orders underway", she replied back and started taking care of her orders.
 
The Admiral started to lean back into his seat, taking a break for a few seconds. He laid his hand on his head and felt a headache coming, "””This is not good...”””, he thought, "””...an unknown enemy... an unstable defense... no Reflex-Cannon to defend ourselves... This is not good at all..."””
He suddenly lifted his head and said, "Commander Grant, please set up a transmission broadcast to all units outside".
"Yes sir...", she replied back...
 
----
 
"What the... ?", Mick said as his left screen fuzzed - "Huh?...", Foxy-Roxy added as well. He was already starting to get annoyed by the constant flashing of the screen. Suddenly, the face of Admiral Henry Gloval appeared on their screen. Mick was astonished to see him on his screen.
“Holy - You seein' who I'm seein', Foxy?”
“Yeah…”
 
“"This is Admiral Gloval to all units of the SDF-1. We are about to face an unknown... enemy... The ship you are about to engage is of unknown origin... It's aspects are unknown as well... and we do not why it is here... but never forget what your job is... to defend the SDF-1 and it's civilians against all attackers. This unknown ship is definitely hostile - You shall fight and destroy all those who shall oppose. I wish you all good luck, good hunting and to see all of you return home safely... This is - Admiral and Chief in Command- Henry J. Gloval, end of transmission."”
 
----
 
Bridge Command...
As soon as Admiral Gloval ended his trasmission, the sensor arrays started detecting multiple small objects leaving the vicinity of the unknown `bio-ship', striking ahead aggressively. There were so many that array was not able to give precise data due to the lack of energy allocation.
"Admiral! Multiple objects have just dispatched from the "Invid-Bioship!", Vanessa shouted - her voice immediately caught the attention of the whole bridge deck.
 
"Objects! How do they look like? Try to scan their profile!", he ordered back to her.
 
She started typing combinations on her console. Unable to scan their profiles, she answered back, "Sir, there is no chance I will be able to scan them. All I can say is that there at least 7 different types of objects approaching and their sizes vary between the size of Valkyry and Oberth-class."
 
"That's enough... We require more fighters! Commander Hayes! Have further 9 squadrons ready for combat!", he replied back.
 
Trying to apply to his orders, Lisa checked the fleet's logistics and gave a short report, "Admiral, I'm afraid we are unable to deploy the requested squadrons within time. Currently, we possess a total of 76 Valkyrie squadrons and another 40 in reserve, but at least 70 of them would require much time for deployment due to the relocation of launching area. Furthermore, they would need a lot more time in loading their armaments before they would be able to deploy from the SDF-1. Orders will be transmitted, but they will definitely not make it on time to support our fleet. I will have Officer Young to additionally order the reserve engineering teams II and IV to concentrate on their deployment areas", Lisa said.
“Make it so…”, he replied.
Just as Lisa finished her speech, Claudia decided to remind the Admiral about the status of the carriers, “Sir, the `Majestica' and the ARMD carriers require more time for the boarding crew as well as the Veritechs due to a false decompression alarm within the ship hangar. Commander DaCowl has informed me that they would dispatch as soon as all Protoculture cell plants are fully charged - Unfortunately, the launch of additional Veritech squadrons would be greatly delayed.”
Gloval understood - The squadrons they had currently out in space were the only ones who could respond for now. It would take a lot more time before they could send out another wave of units to defend the SDF-1. Thinking about the major delays of the RDF units, Gloval slowly began fell concerned about the upcoming conflict… This was a situation that requires more military authority.
“Commander Grant, please contact General Li Wong and tell him that this call is urgent.”
“Understood, sir…”
 
 
----
 
Space, somewhere between the SDF-1 and the swarms of the incoming beast…
A few minutes passed by as the other veteran and elite Valkyrie squadrons flew ahead of the rookie squadrons. There were thousands of blue-paired stars about five kilometers ahead.
 
“"Whoa…””, Pres' voice said over the commline, “”Unknown enemy of unknown origin?! Man, what a bad mix... Looks like we're gonna be in big trouble..." His words did sound troublesome.
“"Yeah"”, another voice said, “"and we're right in the deep of it! Looks like as if that lasershow or whatever that was didn't make even a scratch either."”
Just like the rest of rookie squadron, Mick felt nervous than ever as he heard the communication lines of the squadrons far ahead:
 
“”Contact!””
“”All units spread out!””
Pause.
“”Mov' it Mov' it!
“"Husky One to all squadrons, break formation, bogeys are performing full strike! Avoid direct … What the””, the voice said, “”One of - Crap! I got one my six, how the hell did that thing - Another one is ahead of me ... It - it seems as if the bogeys are opening up their - sides! Require…"
The commline fuzzed so violently that Mick shook slightly surprised from the voice he just heard of. Starting to see hundreds of thousands of small explosions, moving stars along with objects as well as the gigantic mothership far behind, he was now anxious than ever about how it was going to be in a real fight.
“"I am UNDER HEAVY FIRE"”, another pilot shouted, “"the objects are shooting some kind of projectiles at me... Trying to perform high evasive maneuvers! I'm ... Arrrrg...!"”
 
The communication to his Valkyrie has been cut. Mick could see explosions ahead... fire explosions and unknown purple ones.
“"Aw hell!”", Rooks said loudly.
“"Ok, squadrons!"”, Bronco's voice said over the commline, "”This is a lot serious than expected. I want absolutely all units to stay at the outer rim of the battle and break formation upon aggressive contacts. I don't want to see any heroic stunts or anything alike. Keep your six and those of your squad mates clear at all times! The fighters ahead of us are in big trouble and they'll be counting on us to at least support them with the best we have! Keep your heads focus to the battle! Got that?"”
“"Roger!"”, all rookies replied back.
 
Already nervous like hell, Mick's hand trembled slightly that even caused the Valkyrie to shake a little, since this situation was already more than just a simulated combat... "Just stay cool - stay sharp... Like Rooks once said", he told himself quietly...
 
Indeed, things did not seem to be running well at all. The confrontation between both opposing fleets was getting more and more devastating by the minute as several explosions occurred. Flying wildly like a flock of scared bird, the Valkyrie fighters of the veteran squadrons scrambled out with much confusion. There were so many targets that even the best pilots had problems of their own. As the small fleet of `Valley-Cats' entered the outskirts of the battle, they all started to feel constant shockwaves of violent explosions everywhere as well as missiles, shots and other objects flying by. Up to a certain point, Mick's navigation systems and other displays started to illuminate several lines and other images revealing the paths of friendly, hostile and other objects such as missiles. Again, several dark blue lines stretched across his screen like snakes chasing their prey.
 
 
Mick started to hear Foxy-Roxy breathing slightly louder...
"Foxy...Are you ok back there? You sound a bit nervous...", he asked, already sounding nervous himself.
"I'm ... I'm fine...", she replied back, but with such a shaky voice that definitely said that she was full of fear - but then suddenly, noticing coming from the side, she shouted, “Mick, watch out! 3 o'clock!”
Seeing fierce fighting and lots of explosions, one explosion came so close that he was forced to break hard to the right, breaking away from formation as well as the rest of the group. Noticing Mick's sudden reaction, Trovski, a Russian rookie-pilot who also belonged to his squadron, called after Mick as their Valkyrie struck downwards.
 
Trying to dodge whatever struck by, Mick swung his control stick back and forth as the `Valley-Cat' dove hard and deep. Looking shortly to the left, a lone Valkyrie appeared on his side. Suddenly, it received numbers of hits by multiple dark-blue lines… Severely sliced and heavily damaged, the Valkyrie floated uncontrollable into one direction... and collided into one of the hostile objects.
Already surprised by what was going on, the situation was starting to become a little bit too hot for Mick, which caused him to slam the controls to the other side and press the throttle all the way ahead. Dashing already into the most dangerous area of the whole battle, he had no chance to turn around as their fighter gained on speed. There was so much action that not even FoxyRoxy had enough time to perform any targeting - and for sure, Mick knew that there was just not any time to do amy targeting. Diving downwards like a rocket, he fought trying to dodge everything that seemed like obstacles heading his way. Dark and deadly as they were, the most common objects seemed to be a mix of beasts and armored hulks, able to shoot deadly dark blue projectiles that shredded practically anything that stood in their way as well as strange purple blobs that exploded with such violence that even caused a dangerous field of tissue-like webs which could dissipated through the armor of Valkyries like pure acid.
 
Unable to support Mick and FoxyRoxy, the way into the core of the battlezone in deep space was already barricaded by the hordes of beasts and the fleets of Veritech fighters trying to eliminate each other. Having the chance of having the first shot, several `Valley-Cats' managed to target multiple targets to launch a volley of flexible missiles. Although they were not in such desperate trouble like Mick and FoxyRoxy were, they did have to perform the same high evasive maneuvers.
“Targeting bogey at 12 o'clock… almost got him…”, Cherry said, the RW co-pilot of Rooks. Fighting to get her finger upon the target box on her holo-pad. The target kept dodging so fast, that she had difficulties. Another factor was the heavy shaking that made the whole job even more difficult, “Rooks, you gotta keep this thing still!”, she demanded loudly.
Annoyed trying to several things at the same time, Rooks shouted back, “Man, I'm tryin', but the sucker ahead is really makin' a run for it!”
Unexpectedly, the beast splattered as another `Valley-Cat' flew past their side at high speed.
“”Too slow, you two…””, Jester said cheerfully over the commline, “”Better luck next time, pal!””
“”You insane, Jester?!””; Rooks shouted back, “”This ain't no game!””
“”You bet it is - It's a big shooting gallery! Heck, my co-pilot ain't that bad as I thought!””
“”…Watch what you're sayin', cowboy!””, a female voice snarled shortly.
 
As several long minutes of the battle went on, there was not even a slight hint in whichever side had the upper hand. Both sides seemed to have equal strengths and massive fleets with massive firepower… As the fight continued, several incidents slowly began to occur… which slowly resolved as serious disadvantages for the rookie squadrons… Unknown to the male pilots of the squadrons, their co-pilots slowly started to suffer under the negative effects of the `Syndrome'.
Airman Elroy “Monk” Gibbs and his RW co-pilot, Sara "Spades" Mackencie, have just shot down only one of the thousands of flying creatures that wasterrorizing their fleet. Feeling cheerful and slowly feeling confident with their new Valkyrie, Monk flew a curve as he said, “Hey, nice shot, Spades! Make that - WHOA!”, he suddenly shouted and barrel-rolled several times. Feeling several projectiles slamming into their Valkyrie, one shard unfortunately struck like a large bullet into the cockpit, penetrating the frontal area, just a few centimeters past Monk's head. Thanks to the density of the cockpit glass, Monk felt lucky that it did not shatter into millions of pieces as the cabin pressure dropped in an instant. Several pieces of glass and the mass of air sucked out of the whole into space as their Veritech flew ahead. Though surprised by the loud alerting sounds of the loss cabin pressure, he still kept himself cool… but it surely was a close call.
“Damn! That was close - Man, we got a few internal damages but we're not down yet…”, Monk said and flew another curve. Just as he did a curve, he spotted a group of Valkyries in battleroid mode, which were aiming with their weapons towards the other direction, not even knowing that he was coming in with tremendous speed. Reacting to the situation, Monk pulled his left control to a diagonal position, which caused the whole Valkyrie to transform into guardian mode. Lifting his legs and pushing the pedals as hard as he could, the foot thrusters retro-blasted, just barely braking the whole Veritech before colliding into the other one ahead…
As Monk felt the whole Valkyrie stopping, he was pushed ahead due to the sudden stop… Unfortunately, an unusual amount of a red fluid splashed upon the side of his shoulder, as well as a portion against the frontal section of his cockpit. Surprised by this fluid, he quickly looked down with wide eyes, fearing if he was wounded. Feeling no pain at all, Monk looked sighed with a grief… but then lifted his head, “Oh my god - Spades! Are you ok...?”, he called out loudly. He could hear her voice, but it sounded rather strange.
“Spades - Crap, answer me!”, he shouted, but had no time to turn his head - The battle around him was too intense to look away from - For sure, any distraction would lead to a fatal end. Trying to find help, he looked around the damage cockpit-glass, trying to spot friendly units to give him cover. Just as he had the chance to look around, he once again spotted blood above his head as well as the malfunctioning holo-images. Again, he heard the voice from his RW co-pilot, but it sounded so unusual that something was definitely not right with her. Taking the second of having no bogey on their tail, Monk immediately pressed the key on his left screen, which activated the screen, which showed the camera image of the co-pilot's seat… “Oh - Oh my…”, he said as he stared upon the image.
Having a strange dark blue object, which pierced at least half way through the right side of her chest, the woman coughed several times, trying to breathe for air… The image itself had spots of blood all around and although her HEC suit immediately sealed the object and the resulting hole with the emergency hardening foam, she was still loosing blood at a tremendous rate. Unable to say a word, she constantly coughed blood within her helmet… An image that was so terrifying that Monk shouted several times for her name…
 
Terrified by the scenario, there was no chance in telling who had the upper hand. Several battleroids fired widely like as if there was no tomorrow. Among the whole chaos, both Mick and FoxyRoxy spotted one beast coming in straight at their Valkyrie. Surprised than ever, Mick had so much fear that he hesitated to pull the trigger. Trying to dodge whatever it was shooting at them, Mick performed several barrel rolls, just barely managing to evade all shots - and yet, the beast was still coming in from them, as if its destiny was to collide into them…
From the middle of nowhere, a single battleroid slipped past their front from below towards the left side of them and as it flew backwards and leveled itself next to their Valkyrie, it hurled a salvo of rounds at the beast that busted its hard shell a few times. Massive fluids and pieces splattered everywhere as Mick caused their fighter to roll towards the right side… Flying straight ahead again, FoxyRoxy looked towards the left and saw the battleroid changing back into fighter mode and as it held its position tight next to theirs, the pilot's voice suddenly spoke, “”Damn it! What are you doing?! Don't be so scarce with that ammo - Just fire, damn it -“”…
Although the pilot sounded angry, there was a very short moment of thankfulness, which both Mick and FoxyRoxy felt - but unfortunately, the cockpit, as well as the upper half of their lifesaver's Valkyrie sudden shattered so brutally that it even eradicated all hopes for the sign of any survival. Striking down from high above, one of beasts dashed past their side at blinding speed. For this very moment, Mick felt an urge to revenge what this ruthless beast has just done. Using all his might, he once again slammed the control stick to the left and pulled up as hard as he could, which caused their fighter to follow the beast that was making its flight across the whole battlezone in space. It was the feeling of initiative and anger that made him follow the beast like a mad dog…
“We've gotta get that bastard…!”, Mick said as he concentrated on following the beast. FoxyRoxy could not believe her eyes... The action was too much for her. Losing control over herself, she started to feel a sudden pain in her chest inside. Throwing both of her hands to her chest, she tried to scream... but her voice shouted only a silent scream... She fainted, without the chance to warn Mick at all... Looking forward, he could see that the object was heading straight for him. "Holy...! Hold on!", he shouted and engaged Gerwalk mode. Pushing both pedals and pulling his throttle-control as hard as he could, this caused the thrusters of the Valkyrie to blast downwards, making their Valkyrie able to follow the deep dive of the beast ahead. Although the grav-harness was active, he could still feel the G's making him get pressed into his seat.
After performing this unusual stunt, the Valkyrie changed back to fighter mode and flew another sharp curve, still pursuing his incoming enemy. Still behind the rear position of the beast as it flew ahead, dodging and everything within the battle, he clicked open the top button cover with his thumb, having the trigger for missiles ready. Mick was determined not to loose this target at all. Although the beast ahead was not targeted, he flew barrels rolls and fired the main cannon blindly and kept missing - Trying to keep up with his target and dodge other objects was a hard job... The creature ahead of him was fast and it knew that he was behind him. Only one round busted a small area upon the side of the beast, but it still flew away, nonetheless. Again, he held the trigger, releasing a stream of rounds - but then again, the escaping beast dodged them with ease.
 
"Alright! Let's see if he can dodge missile fire, then!", he shouted towards the back, "I got him right ahead of us - Target that sonuva-gun so we can blast him away!"
Mick was behind his target, constantly trying to compensate each evasive movement it made. As seconds went by during this cunning hunt, he noticed that the "missile target triangular" or any other targeting symbol on his HUD was still not moving towards his target. He kept on his target's tail...
"Com' on, Foxy!", he shouted again. "What are you waiting for?!"
 
He did not receive any answer...
Mick quickly activated his left display to see FoxyRoxy. After a very short fuzz, Mick could see her head lying on her shoulders, being shaken back and forth slightly by the flight movements - then he noticed her harsh breathing. For sure, something was not right with her.
 
"F-Foxy! Are you OK! Can you hear me?", he shouted out loud. She did not react to his voice...
He looked forward again and saw that his target was about to get away... For sure, without a RW co-pilot, he would be in rather bad situation if he were to continue the fight. As if time stopped for the very moment, Bronco's words about the responsibility on the safety of his co-pilot went through his mind in an instant… Fear struck him as he expected the worse that could happen.
"There's no way I can continue this fight without you.", he said, "I'm not gonna stay out here in this madness! I'm heading back!", He made a sharp break-away, letting his target survive and escape.
 
“"Major Bronco - Come in, sir!””, he shouted over the commline, ““My RW is down! Can't tell if she's alright"”, he said over commline. “"Looks like she'll be needing medical help! As far as I can see, I don't think I'll be able to shoot anything out here without her!"”
“"Soldier! You better get moving!", his squadron commander shouted back, "Get out of there! You've got two of those things hot on your six!””
 
"What the... ?!", Mick shouted and suddenly heard "pling-plongs" - along with slamming sounds and shaking that rumbled throughout their whole `Valley-Cat'. Displays showed several areas of his Valkyrie damaged - "Aw crap!” Doing the best he could, he jammed the stick several times back and forth, trying to dodge blindly - but this time, he did not have that much luck. Hearing several parts from their hull being torn off like paper, he really started to get worried. Feeling slightly lucky that his Valkyrie had a dual armor layer, it could have been worse, he thought, almost the same dreaded destruction could have happened to him if he were in a standard VF-1… A number of fierce barrel rolls and tight curve maneuvers were needed until his tail was freed by backup-fire from Major Bronco and two other Valkyries.
“Whoa… Thanks, Major!”, Mick said thankfully.
““Be careful, Mick””, Vikksdottir's voice said, as she appeared upon his screen, ““You're evasive flying made it nearly impossible for us to have a clean shot on your pursuers!””
“”Don't worry about his flyin', we'll leave it for debriefing””, Bronco added, already responding to the several requests for a full retreat from his wingmates as well as from Lt.Cmdr. Vikksdottir, Bronco immediately called out to all within the rookie squadron, “"To all units under my wing - Disengage! We'll have to leave this battle! Bridge Command is going to send in heavy support for our retreat! Return to the SDF-1 immediately, over!"”
 
“"You got it, SIR!"”, Mick confirmed - not letting him get that order twice- He immediately pushed the throttle at its maximum. Even though their `Valley-Cat' was rather heavily damaged, it still responded to his controls and for sure he did not want to give another opportunity for the enemy.
"Don't worry Foxy! I'll get you back to the SDF-1! Just hold on!"
 
“”Cherry to Monk - Cherry to Monk!””, a female voice requested, “”Monk! Is Spades alright?! Over!””, she shouted, feeling very concerned about her health.
“”C - Crap, got no idea! S - she's not responding, I can't see how she's doing…!””, Monk replied with a confused voice, sounding as if he really was under great stress, “”I - I got blood everywhere over me and I got no idea how we got this cockpit leak! Damn it - Sp - Spades”” , he repeated again and again… When he paused, he heard only a very weak sigh… then nothing.
“”Just hang tight, Monk!””, Pres shouted back, “”We'll try to get you out of there as soon as possible, just hang tight and keep cool!””
“”D - Damn it, you kiddin' me?!””, Monk yelled back at him, “”God damn it - Blood is… everywhere…””, his voice suddenly calmed down - and something told Mick that he was loosing control of himself. Attempting to keep him cool, Mick tried starting a conversation, at least to keep him distracted during the flight back from the worse that might have happened. Again, several beams and shots strife along their sides as waves of missiles flashed ahead. Feeling rather lost in the battle, Mick felt that the odds did not seem very great for the RDF, but they were still putting up a tough fight - That was at least his conclusion just from a few minutes in combat…
 
Although the rookie squadron suffered only minimal losses of units, they managed to withdraw without much trouble. Several pilots had almost the same problem with their co-pilot… They either fell into unconsciousness or panicked due to unknown reasons. After several minutes of high-speed flight, it did not take long until Mick received the docking bay information from the Flight-Deck-Personnel of Bridge Command. As he looked around, he spotted several red Valkyries, each carrying two very large and bulky missiles upon their sides. Although they were too far away, he did managed to recognize a red star upon the side of cockpit, instead of a RDF symbol… Mick had no idea what these Valkyrie were up to, but he guessed that they belonged to the “heavy support” Bronco spoke about a while ago.
 
Flying a curve high above the hull of the gigantic battlefortress, the whole group approached the designated docking bay. Just barely managing to land upon the same Veritech bay he launched from nearly half an hour ago, he was lucky that the bay's anti-mag rails, which accompanied the normal magnetic rails, slowed his high-speed landing down. Finally out of danger, his Valkyrie lowered its gears, as it was slowly brought towards the area to disembark. Just the looks of the Valkyries within the area gave Mick the intention that the RDF really had no idea of the enemy's strength, nor its superior force of its units. There were hundreds of mechanics and medics running all along the area… and certainly, this was an emergency. As their Valkyrie settled down, he fought trying to get his seatbelts and shoulder harnesses off, feeling very worried about FoxyRoxy.
 
----