Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ I Looked At Myself In The Mirror ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This is Umi's bed.
 
I am sleeping in Umi's bed.
 
It's warm and soft, and the sheets smell like her.
 
Don't get any weird ideas though. She isn't in the bed with me.
 
That goody-goody Hikaru got all confused when Umi asked her what she was feeling. She stared into space for a while then answered “I'm tired.”
 
Umi told her to lie down. She thinks I'm asleep right now. Maybe I am. When your mind is neither here nor there it's kind of hard to tell asleep from awake. Sometimes life just doesn't feel real.
 
Now Umi is talking to Fuu on the phone. That gossip never even considered keeping this just between us. Not that I care. I do as I please and they say as they will, that's all.
 
Pity I can only hear one end of the conversation.
 
“Yes that's what happened.”
 
“No it's not that simple.”
 
“Well you know how she is.”
 
“No I think… I think Hikaru's just using Nova to act on her own feelings.”
 
“She isn't schizoid; she's just uh...just a bit confused.”
 
“I don't need to be a psychiatrist it's really obvious.”
 
“Yes I know.”
 
“Oh and how are we going to explain her transforming into a pink haired pixie and flying through walls.”
 
“I know, mine don't work outside Cephiro either. Maybe her powers are just stronger. She is the pillar for crying out loud.”
 
“It's Alright, I phoned her house last night and told her brothers that Hikaru was helping me with some homework and we lost track of time.”
 
“Yes they believe it.”
 
“She doesn't need that she just needs to know whatever she's feeling is ok.”
 
I should hurt Fuu for calling me schizoid. Of course I don't know if she really said that. Knowing her the wording was probably more tactful. And maybe this conversation never happened. I am asleep after all. Well, I think I am.
 
I suppose I'll just have to wake up and ask. It shouldn't be hard; especially if I'm not asleep. Just have to give a little yawn and sit up. That's all it takes.
 
“Oh Hikaru, you're up.”
 
“Umi” I ask, “What did Fuu say about me?”
 
“Fuu thinks that you're being controlled by Nova, so she's worried,” Umi replied.
 
“Thinks! What do you mean by thinks I'm being controlled. You saw it last night. You saw how Nova took over her…my…uh…our body. You know it was her that…that. You know right?”
 
“Oh just a slip of the tongue,” Umi said as though trying to avoid the subject. “Hey Hikaru, since this is happening, why don't the two of us go out.”
 
“What are you talking about? This is no time to play. She could take control at any time!” I yell.
 
“You misunderstand,” says Umi with a totally unfazed voice. “I'm not asking if you and I can hang out. I'm asking if me and Nova can date.”
 
“Umi are you out of your mind,” I respond. “I am not in control of this. She takes over my body whenever she pleases.”
 
“Perfect!” Umi looks me in the eyes. “Nova if you're listening, come out in about half an hour and I'll treat you to brunch.”
 
I get up and back away, looking at Umi as though she's insane. Seems odd somehow that I should be the one doing that.
 
A quick shower helps clear my head a little.
 
It becomes obvious that Umi is not really trying to date Nova. She must want to confront her, reason with her, or maybe even destroy her.
 
Umi's just using this date scenario as a very ill thought out way to keep me from worrying and keep Nova from knowing what's going to happen. Then I leave the washroom, and enter Umi's room, where she said I could change. There they are. Clothes she laid out for me on the bed and seeing those makes me worry again.
 
Don't get me wrong, the clothes are modest enough. Though it is odd she picked a dark blue Kimono. Where do people wear kimonos in this day and age? There are not many places. Marriage meetings, festivals, cosplay conventions. None-the-less, it isn't so much the style of clothes that worries me as the color. The kimono is dark blue with a pink cherry blossom pattern and a white sash with gold trim. This will look terrible on me! Who can possibly pull off wearing blue, pink, white, and yellow?
 
Asking myself this I am suddenly reminded of Nova's body tight battle armor back in Cephiro.
 
Umi was serious! She wants to go on a date with Nova.
 
Not wanting to stand in a towel all day I put the clothes on. Or is she making me put them on. That makes more sense. Nova must be trying to take control right now.
 
Where did Umi get these clothes on such short notice?
 
The bra is about two sizes too big. This I find strange. Umi knows my measurements. We shop together often enough.
 
Oh of course! Nova is bigger than I am in the chest. Could she tell just by looking? That's a strange talent. Is it possible that Umi goes for these girl-girl dates? She never mentioned anything before.
 
I look at myself in the vanity mirror and am shocked to see just how much I am blushing. This is not okay I tell myself. I close my eyes and gather all my strength, and prepare to resist when Nova tries to take over our body. I won't allow this! I won't allow this! I open my eyes in front of the mirror and Nova is looking back. I have already transformed.
 
“What the…when did I…I mean…good. Now I can do as I please with Umi, and Hikarus' stupid conscience won't interfere.” <giggle giggle> I tighten my sash slightly to adjust for my more slender frame. Then I check my hair. Make-up isn't necessary with these perfect features.
 
 
Sorry for the long time between updates. Considering how short the chapters are I guess there is no descent excuse. Still, if your following this story I do intend to start the next chapter really soon. Thanks for reading and please send reviews.