Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Lying, Waiting, All Too Late ❯ Finding Help ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Lying, Waiting, All Too Late ~
Chapter Four: Finding Help

* * *

Eagle widened his eyes in shock. How did Meson find out? More importantly, would it really help if he lied and denied everything? How many other people knew? Eagle turned his head to stare at the elevator's wall, deciding that he didn't want to see Meson's expression when he confirmed it.

"Yes," said Eagle softly.

"I don't believe it," Meson breathed. There was a small slam on the opposite side of the elevator, and Eagle caught a glimpse of Meson leaning his back against the wall adjacent to the door. "I CAN'T believe it. It's... it's just... I... you... a-and Geo..."

"Just me," Eagle corrected, hoping he didn't sound too disappointed.

"Wha... oh," said Meson, as if he almost forgot that there was nothing more than friendship going on and furthermore the reason why there was nothing more than friendship. "Yeah. Right. I knew that. It's just... well... I don't... you..."

Eagle was amused slightly by Meson's failed attempts to come up with a coherent sentence, but the hilarity faded when the elevator slowed and finally stopped, opening its doors to the top floor of the male dormitories. Eagle sighed. Meson leaned over to the panel and pressed a button to go all the way back down to the bottom floor.

"We won't be getting any privacy if that's what you want," Eagle pointed out.

"W-we still have to go down. We can't stay up here forever."

"That's true."

Meson shook his head as the doors closed and the elevator began going downwards again. "I still can't believe it. I mean... you... love... Geo. I never thought that you... well... gah..."

Eagle smiled. "This IS the academy."

"Most of us go bi here," Meson agreed. "Yeah. I know. But still... it's just, well, you know... I never expected THIS to happen..."

The elevator slowed only on the twenty-first floor. Just as Eagle suspected, they would not be getting any privacy.

"Please don't tell anybody."

"I won't," Meson promised. The elevator doors opened. "But before anything at all happens, you have to know this. Aston knows. He figured it out before me. Konbanwa."

A senior walked into the elevator, one that Eagle did not recognize, so he was wary about treading on the topic any further. Luckily, with a small nod to Meson as a greeting, he turned his back to face the closing doors. Eagle waited for a few seconds, but the senior made no comment. He decided to try to find out some more without hinting at all to the romance issue.

"He does?" Eagle finally replied. Meson looked at him as if he had forgotten what Eagle was referring to. "Aston knows?"

"Oh. Yeah. He figured it out before me," Meson replied. "He didn't tell me. I think he refuses to tell anybody. I just found out on my own... about a couple of minutes ago."

Eagle frowned and wondered why, but decided that with the other senior in the elevator it would not be the greatest idea to ask. "I see," he replied.

Again there was a moment of silence as the elevator slowed and stopped on a sophomore floor. A trio of cadets walked into the elevator, chatting amiably, and the doors closed again. It was safer to talk more about it. Nobody would pay any heed to Eagle and Meson, and the senior would be doing his best to block out the "annoying" idle talk the sophomores were involved in.

Unlike the exchange Meson and the senior had gone through, the sophomores said nothing to Eagle, and Eagle did likewise. He wasn't very popular among the sophomore class.

Meson must have realized the same thing, for he continued the conversation with more warnings.

"Zazu might know," he whispered so that none of the other four could be attracted to the subject of the preteen prodigy. "You know how those geniuses are... after all, Aston figured it out, right? Even he doesn't know, he's going to figure it out sooner or later." Meson shook his head. "If it was easy for me to realize it, it's only a matter of time before he finds out... and only a short time after, Geo might figure it out. Maybe. Not with that whole Milano thing."

Eagle nodded and felt a twinge of pain at the mention of Milano. The relationship she held with Geo was still too much for him to take.

"That's... true," he replied. "But--"

"I know, I know," said Meson. "And I promise."

Eagle smiled. The elevator finally stopped and reopened its at the first floor. The senior and the three sophomores stepped off before Meson and Eagle, but Eagle saw that the conversation was over when Meson followed them out.

"All right," he said with a sigh as he stood in the doorway, earning some disgruntled cadets waiting to board the elevator. "Let's go back to everybody and pretend we never had this conversation. You still want to keep this a secret, right?"

"Right," said Eagle as he exited the elevator.

The rest of the evening went by all right. Geo, as usual, asked Eagle and Meson if everything was all right, and as to be expected, they replied an affirmative. Zazu raised an eyebrow but said nothing, and Milano was completely oblivious. Nobody asked either of them any more about it. Zazu might have decided to prod Meson, but Eagle didn't know. He stayed in the lounge for a little while longer after the four had retired for the night.

After most of the cadets had gone back to their rooms, Eagle finally followed the last couple of students into the elevator. One was younger than him, a freshman, and the other was much older, most likely a senior. Neither of them bothered him, so Eagle found his mind whirling in a tornado of thoughts and he couldn't do a thing to ignore it.

His love for Geo was only twice a conscious thought in his mind.

The first time was a couple of months ago when he realized that he was in love with his best friend. Zazu would constantly tease Geo about having Milano as a girlfriend soon. It was always behind his back since Zazu learned the hard way that Geo really didn't like being teased, even playfully, on the subject. That never stopped him from doing so around Eagle and Meson. Meson would always roll his eyes and say something insulting to Zazu, and Eagle would give an obligatory laugh.

One night, though, Zazu grew bored of teasing Geo and decided to turn the jests to Meson and Eagle, saying that they were jealous because they had more than just platonic feelings for Geo and were afraid that Milano would get him before they even tried. Meson lightly smacked Zazu upside the head, saying that despite how many people in the academy go, he would always be completely straight. Luckily, Eagle had homework to do, so he could cleanly pass as not paying attention.

It only took a moment for him to realize that what Zazu had said was absolutely true, and the consciousness of his emotions stayed with him for the entire night.

"Hey, kid," said the senior. He was holding the elevator doors opened, and the sign outside of the door was labeled Floor Eleven. "This is your floor, isn't it?"

Eagle frowned, looked around in the elevator, and saw that the freshman had boarded. No wonder. Besides, this was his floor anyway. He turned back to the senior and smiled.

"Yes. Thank you."

"Yeah, yeah," the senior grumbled.

Eagle walked out of the elevator and wandered idly to his room. He fumbled for his keycard; when he found it, he stuck it into the slot. The door slid open, and Eagle found his roommate sprawled on top of his desk, fast asleep. Eagle smiled, quickly dressed, and hopped into his bed. As he stared at the ceiling, he painfully remembered the second time his romantic feelings emerged in his mind.

It was only a day ago, when Geo and Milano returned from the Alfa Romeo colony. Zazu need not have pointed it out; it was so obvious that they had fallen in love. Slept with each other, even. Eagle didn't know how to react at first, but the one thought that kept thundering in his mind was simply:

You waited for too long. It's too late. He's never going to return your feelings.

Eagle tried not to let it bother him, and until Meson figured it out only a couple of hours ago, the thought only tugged irritably in his mind. He didn't know what he could have done to make Meson realize it, but he slipped somewhere. He had to be careful to not do that again, but with the knowledge that it was becoming common knowledge, there was nothing he could do anymore.

Like Meson said, it was only a matter of time before Geo found out.

Eagle only hoped that it wouldn't be anytime soon.

What would happen if Milano ever found out? What if she already knew?

Eagle shook his head and turned over to lie on his stomach. This was ridiculous.

He needed to get out of the mess before it ate him alive.

But how?

Eagle knew that he had to figure out when, where, and how he fell in love with Geo before he went any further, but he couldn't pinpoint any specific time, place, and event. He didn't even know why he did. It just happened. He knew what it was to love about his best friend: everything. There was absolutely nothing that had ever repelled Eagle from even simply befriending Geo, which was probably why they became so close so quickly.

It was only a year and a half since they met, and Eagle just now realized how pathetic he was becoming.

He needed out.

Now.

But he found that there was no simple method, and no matter how hard he tried, he could not fall out of love in a mere night.

The next afternoon, Eagle and Meson decided to not go to basic training, so that left two whole hours of doing nothing for the two of them. They had a good excuse, although it may not go over so well with the seniors or even with the faculty of the academy, but it was, as Meson put it, for Eagle's own good.

Eagle wished to drop the subject, but Meson had other plans. Luckily, for the sake of privacy, Meson snuck Eagle into his and Aston's dormitory.

Eagle forgot the reasoning Meson used to get him into the talk. No wonder why Meson would make such a good diplomat.

Well, except for the times when he was ready to start a fistfight with Geo, but that really didn't count.

"So..." Meson began. He hesitated, seeming unsure as to what exactly to say without being too blunt to Eagle.

Eagle sighed. "It is nice to get out of basic training," he said, "but being here is worthless if you have nothing to say."

"I have something to say," said Meson. "But... I just need to know... are you all right?"

"What do you mean?"

Meson clenched his fists and growled, "Don't do that to me. And you wonder why he doesn't return your feelings." Eagle laughed quietly. "What I mean is, are you all right, Eagle, with everything?"

"Everything as in everything, or--"

"Geo and Milano's relationship."

"Oh." Eagle paused and stared at his knees. No, as a matter of fact, he was not all right with it. Meson knew he wasn't, so why was he asking? He also knew what answer he would receive, so there was actually no point in asking. But Eagle knew that Meson must have some sort of plan in mind, so he lied. "I'm... okay."

"Okay? Just okay?"

"Yeah." By the look on Meson's face, it seemed as if he wanted Eagle to go on further. So, Eagle did. "I mean, if he's happy with her, then that's great. Why should I interfere?"

"That doesn't sound like something you would do," said Meson with a playful smile. "I always thought of you as the one who would stop at nothing until he gets what he wants."

"When it comes to love, things change."

"Which is why I plan on being single for the rest of my life."

Eagle chuckled, remembering the time only a year ago when Meson finally declared romance a "big waste of time". He had no desire of having any children since he was terrible with them; why should he worry about getting a girlfriend someday? He even refused to get interested in boys. He planned on being one of the cadets who were not even bisexual; he was going to be straight or nothing at all, if that was possible. Eagle wished that his friend wasn't so cynical towards amorous love, but he knew nothing about Meson's romantic life before they met. Maybe he had a good reason to be.

"Is that how you really feel, though?" Meson asked, narrowing his eyes and staring straight into Eagle's. There was genuine concern; Meson really wasn't trying to find another reason to dislike Milano. "You don't care how Geo feels about you, as long as he's happy?"

"That's what all people in love are supposed to say, right?"

"Not all. That's just something to convince people that they're not selfish. Eagle, you're anything but. Well, on things not concerning Geo... but... shit. Never mind then. But things do change in love, right?"

Eagle nodded slowly. "You want to know my real feelings, don't you? I guess I have no choice if you want to keep me in here until I tell you."

"Shouldn't have told me that. That's a good idea. I think I will keep you in here until I finish talking to you."

Eagle laughed. "Hai, hai. Ano, ano... iya. I'm not happy with their relationship, and the only reason why I'm not interfering is because I can't. For the past couple of days when you spoke your feelings about their relationship to Geo, he got really upset. I don't want to risk that. Not yet, at least."

"When it starts to drive you crazy, you will, right?"

"That's more like it."

Meson sighed. "Until then, what are you going to do?"

"I ignored the feelings for a very long time already," Eagle answered. "I think I can do that again."

"Even with Geo in love with somebody else?"

Eagle cringed and nodded. "Yeah."

Meson sighed again. "You're never going to survive like this. Something has to be done, and you know it. If there's one thing I've learned from some of the basic courses in the academy the past three years, it's that ignoring the problem never solves anything. If you ignore it, you're not doing anything and you're only making matters worse. I'm not telling you to torture yourself. But you need to do something."

"I don't know what I can do," said Eagle.

"Right now I can draw up two possibilities. Hopefully you have better ideas," said Meson. "One, you can tell Geo your feelings. Or two, you can try to fall out of love with him."

"That's what I told myself to do last night," Eagle replied. "It's impossible. The only way I can do that is if--"

"If you fall in love with someone else?"

Eagle smiled. "Yeah. You're really good at this, Meson."

"I've never been a love counselor before. Don't flatter me. I don't ever want to be one again," Meson growled. Eagle couldn't help but to laugh a little. Meson turned to walk towards the door. "I think we're done. I can't tell you what to do, but I am telling you to do something. Figure something out. I can't help you any further than this."

Eagle nodded and followed Meson out, brainstorming ideas to find out what to do about his feelings... his unrequited feelings. The word pounded heavily in his heart, and he soon came to the realization that he couldn't do anything about it, even if he tried.

*

Meson didn't lie often, but when he did, it was normally for a good reason. If Eagle decided to tell Geo his feelings for him, it wouldn't be during the weekend. Oh no, Meson had other plans. After all, if Milano managed to get Geo into her colony for the two week break in between semesters, Meson decided that he should be able to bring Geo to Matador County for the weekend so that they could have a little chat.

Meson still had every intention on keeping his promise to Eagle, however. If he wanted Geo to know his feelings for him, he would have to tell Geo himself.

In the mornings, the cafeteria and the lounge were always near empty. It was the rule of the academy: if you haven't finished your homework the night before, it was best to get it done. The best place to do so was the cadet's own room. Some people, mostly the seniors, woke up early enough that they finished their homework before coming down to breakfast so that they could actually have some food in their stomachs before they go off to yell at the underclassmen and to their classrooms. Basic training hadn't even started yet, so Meson knew that he could easily find Geo somewhere in the lounge since he wasn't in the cafeteria.

When he entered the room strewn with couches, chairs, tables, and a bunch of entertainment equipment, indeed, there was nearly no one there. There were a few seniors and a couple of juniors, and it didn't take long for Meson to find Geo in a chat with a few other seniors. Luckily, Meson noted, Milano was nowhere in sight.

Meson approached the group casually as to not seem too anxious or anything. He couldn't reveal anything to anyone about Eagle, no matter what the reason.

"Hey, Geo," called Meson. Geo turned around with a questioning look. "I need to talk to you for a second... alone. It's important."

"All right..." Geo replied suspiciously. Meson sighed.

"It's NOT about Milano. I promise."

Geo shook his head but walked out of the circle anyway, telling the rest of the group that he would be back later. Meson led him to the farthest corner of the lounge so that nobody could possibly overhear.

"All right, what do you want?" Geo asked.

"Actually, I can't tell you here. I just need to ask you something, and then I'll tell you if you agree to it."

Geo narrowed his eyes. "You're conning me into something, aren't you?"

"Geo, it's important, but it has to be kept a secret," said Meson. "But I can't say it here where there's a chance someone might hear and tell the entire school."

"Doesn't seem like anyone's eavesdropping now--"

"Geo! Just PLEASE. For the weekend, let's go over to Matador County. It's only a three hour ride, and when we get there, I'll tell you. If we leave tonight, the sooner you'll know. But for now..."

Meson had no idea what he was saying. It wasn't that important, and it really didn't have to be kept a secret or anything... and to keep his promise to Eagle, he had no idea what he was really asking out of Geo. He realized that this was a mistake. If they did leave after all of their classes were over, Meson would have less than a day to figure out a lie to tell Geo. Now he was hoping that Geo would say no. In fact, he was considering to just tell Geo to forget it, but luck wasn't on his side.

"All right, fine," said Geo with a nod. "As long as this isn't about Milano--"

"It isn't."

Meson bit his lip when he realized that he should have said that it was about her. Then Geo would say no. That, or Meson would have a better excuse to talk to Geo in private about.

"Okay," Geo replied. "We leave tonight?"

Meson heaved a great sigh. "Yeah, sure. Okay then. After your last class, I'll see you in the lobby?"

"Sure. But is this something you only need to talk to me about? Not Eagle or Zazu or anybody else?" Meson nodded. "All right, then. Will you tell them sometime later?"

"Maybe. If it's appropriate."

"Do I have to keep it a secret? Because if I do..."

"No. You don't," Meson reassured. It really wasn't anything so drastic that Geo would have to go against his morals and hide something from his closest friends. The worst that could happen is Eagle having a freak-out session. No big deal at all.

Geo nodded. "Yokatta. Ja, I'll see you at lunch, then."

"All right," Meson said as Geo walked back over to the group, which had suddenly roared in a guffaw. Meson had no idea what he was going to say to Geo that evening in Matador County, but he would have to figure something out. Quickly.

It was a pity that he couldn't use Milano as part of that something to talk to Geo about. For once, she would have made some use of herself even if she didn't know it herself.

It was the second time in a day that Meson lied, but hopefully Geo wouldn't be too upset.

Meson had been desperate, so he decided to use the subject of Milano just because he couldn't think about anything else that would involve nobody but Geo. He really should have asked Aston for help. He realized that a little too late, just when the two of them stepped in the huge dome community known as Matador County, one of the busiest and soldier infested city in Autozam. Integra came in second, and it wasn't a close call either.

"All right, luckily, my house is really close to the port," Meson told Geo. "So let's just walk over there and drop off our stuff before we talk, okay?"

"You're holding it off," Geo growled, his eyes narrowed.

"I... don't want to tell you with all of our stuff in hand," said Meson, laughing uncomfortably. Oh, no, letting Geo know that he lied with a heavy, hard-shelled bag in hand would be a very bad thing, even if Geo wasn't as violent as his appearance suggested he was.

Deep down inside, however, Meson had a very good idea that if he put forth enough effort, Geo could and would be the most violent man in Autozam.

That wasn't a very reassuring feeling.

Geo sighed. "Hai, hai. Let's go, let's go."

Meson kept grinning a worried grin. This wasn't going over too well.

In only a matter of five minutes, the two reached the Avant household. Geo arched a brow at it with some form of awe, but Meson really didn't understand why. It was only three stories tall, nearly not as large as some of the other homes in Matador County. But Meson reminded himself that Geo came from a poverty-ridden sector of the capital. He probably saw families that lived in two story buildings but never met anyone from there. The best he probably lived in would be an underground shelter... if the Metro family was as poor as Holden said they were.

All right, so Geo probably lived in a one-story house.

"Ano... let's go in," Meson said, pointing to the door.

"A... aa..."

Meson decided that he would be laughing if he wasn't fearing Geo's imminent wrath. He really should've not done anything at all. He really shouldn't have lied to Eagle. He really should've asked Aston for help.

He really shouldn't have done this.

When they walked into the house, they were immediately greeted by Meson's father.

"Okaeri, Meson-kun!" he called. "I didn't expect you back so soon. Not much homework?"

"Too much homework," Meson answered. He waved a hand towards Geo. "This is a friend of mine, Geo Metro. You probably know him if Mom bragged about him and his brother as much as I'm sure she did."

"Of course," his father answered as he reached a hand towards the much taller man. Geo took it and shook gently. "Nice to meet you at last."

"I say the same," said Geo, flashing a mischievous grin towards Meson as if to say, Now I know where you get it. Meson didn't know what he could possibly mean but waved it off as he brushed past his father inside.

"So, spare room?"

"Right next to yours, if it helps."

"I've... actually had enough of spare rooms," said Geo with a sigh. "But--"

"Oh really?" Meson's father asked with an arched brow. "Nothing concerns me more than a guest's comfort. Would you prefer to share a room with Meson-kun? Sleep in the den? Anywhere is fine by me."

"Well..." Geo gave Meson a look, and Meson shrugged.

"I don't mind if you share a room with me." Actually, it would make Meson feel so much better. Kind of. Depending on how the talk was going to go. "It might be easier, in the end, I guess." To make his death quicker and cleaner, those were the words Meson kept himself from saying.

Geo nodded. "Okay then."

"Great! It's settled then. Meson's room is on the third floor, second door to the left. I need to talk to him real quick so he'll catch up with you later." Meson and Geo exchanged a short glance before Geo finally went on a small excursion to find the stairways. Father turned to son and said, "So, Meson-kun..."

Meson sighed. "He's a friend, Dad. I AM straight. Keep it in mind."

"Not what I was going to ask."

"Then what?"

"You're going out to eat?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Do you have money?"

Meson twitched. He knew he forgot something that was of some importance. "Er, no? Could you give me some? Please?"

"I don't know. I'm starting to think that maybe I should put you on a debt list for you to pay me back when you get a steady job. What do you say?"

"Just give me money, Dad."

"Oh, come on, Meson-kun!"

"You're rich enough as it is with being the commander of the armed forces in this city and Mom being the general of the Air Force," Meson pointed out. "And me? I'm just a poor, poor cadet trying to do his best in his final year of the academy to make his mother and father proud..."

"Hai, hai, I was just joking, Meson-kun," his father said with a laugh. He pulled out a small card from his pocket and handed it to Meson. "Here. Use as much money as you need, all right? And you better keep true to your promise that you're straight..."

"Geo has a girlfriend, Dad."

"Oh. In that case, then..."

Meson groaned. At that exact moment, Geo came back into the parlor, empty-handed and seeming a little irritated.

"Oi, Meson, your room is easy to find," he said. "You take too long."

"It wasn't that long!" Meson protested. "You're just too fast for your own good!"

Geo nodded with a look of amused disbelief. "Uh-huh. Okay."

Meson's father laughed. "All right, off you two go! Have fun, okay?"

Meson nodded. "See you later, Dad."

Together, Meson and Geo walked out of the house and wandered the streets of Matador County in silence. Meson had no idea where to start, but after a while, Geo picked up a conversation.

"Your father is interesting," he said with no hesitation between 'is' and 'interesting'. "Now I actually believe your family is who you say they are."

"Shut up," Meson snapped. "We came out here to talk, didn't we?"

"Yeah. So why aren't you talking?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, YOU dragged me out here because you had something important to tell me. What is it?"

Meson sighed. The inevitable was coming. He really should've asked Aston for advice. That would have been a smart idea. He really should've. Tonight was the night that he was either going to die or lose a friend. Meson was certain that the former would be better and most likely to happen. Excellent. The lighter side of the ugly deal. Perfect!

"I lied. Twice. Sorry about that," said Meson, staring at his feet. He idly smiled at the irony that he and Geo were walking instep with one another. Left, right, left, right. He would laugh if he wasn't already so used to it from basic training. Marching was horrible. "I don't have anything to tell you, but I do have something to ask you. And yes, it's about Milano. Don't kill me!"

Meson halted walking and jumped a good three feet away from Geo, shielding his head with his arms. He imagined exactly how Geo must have reacted. Clenched fists, narrowed eyes. Very bad idea. Where was Zazu when he was needed the most?

"What the--" Geo started, but Meson found a perfect solution immediately.

"I-it's nothing bad, Geo, honest!" he said. "But I do need to talk to you about her... and you. Your relationship with her. It's not a put-down, really, because like I said, it's a QUESTION I'm asking, not a favor, and not how I feel about you two because it's really not any of my concern in the end. As long as you two are happy, right?"

Meson braved a peek through his barrier, and to his pleasant surprise Geo seemed to have softened.

"All right then," he said, "shoot."

Meson returned to a normal stance and pulled Geo closer to the building he was standing right next to. While there was a bigger crowd in Matador County than there was at the Air Force Academy, there was a better chance for keeping secrets in a huge city than in a large school. Even if someone told somebody else in the city, it wouldn't spread as quickly as it would in the academy. Meson had no worries. He could smoothly execute this conversation. He had it all planned out.

"Actually," he said slowly, "I already asked the question. As long as you two are happy, right? So, are you?"

Geo tilted his head. "What's with this all of a sudden?"

"I won't cause anymore trouble between the two of you. I just want to know..."

"And knowing this would make you feel better somehow?"

"Depends on the answer," answered Meson truthfully. The real reason why he called Geo out nearly a thousand miles from the academy for the weekend really was to find out the one thing that could contribute to everybody's happiness. "Actually, I still don't like Milano, so I don't really care if she's happy with you or not, and that's not why I wanted to get you alone. Do you... no, are you happy with Milano?"

Geo nodded. "Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Why?"

Meson shrugged. "No... real reason."

And down the tube Eagle's feelings went. This was hopeless. Eagle really did need to fall out of love with Geo. This was getting too insane, and somebody was only going to get hurt in the end. Eagle could not tell Geo his feelings, Meson decided that at that moment.

"Liar," said Geo. "You wouldn't have dragged me out here if you didn't have a legitimate topic to keep secret. This isn't something I would hide from Eagle or Zazu."

Meson sighed and murmured, "If only you knew, then you would go against your morals and not tell them."

"What was that?"

Meson shook his head. "Nothing. But I have another question. What would you say if one of your closest friends told you that he was in love with you? What would you tell him?"

Geo frowned and shrugged. "Well, I really don't know. I guess it really depends on who it was--wait a second. HE?"

Meson bit his lip. Damn pronouns. He always hated them in primary school, and they were back, laughing in his face again. But he decided to take Eagle's reply from a couple of nights before. It would help, and it would make perfect sense.

"Well, it IS the academy."

Geo loosened up at that. "That's true. I keep forgetting that. It's all of the women's fault, you know that, right?"

"Always is. So, what would you say?"

"Like I said," said Geo with a sigh, "it depends on who it was and how close I am to him. I guess nowadays I'd just tell him that I didn't return the feelings or anything, but if he's my closest friends he'd probably already know that, so I guess it's just a waste of my breath and his time and courage. Who is it, Meson?"

"It's..." Meson began but stopped himself as soon as he remembered that this was one of Geo's debate tactics. "It's nobody. I was just wondering."

"Oh," Geo replied, but Meson could tell that he didn't believe him. "Because you don't like Milano, and it's for a very specific reason."

"Um, Geo, I'm straight, remember?"

"So it's not you. Then who?"

Meson clenched his fists. "Why would it be me? And it's nobody!"

"Whatever you say, then."

"Sheesh, what's it going to take to get some clear cut answers out of you?" Meson grumbled. He had a brainstorm at that moment and decided to use discreet words to make sure he didn't betray Eagle's promise. "Okay, let's go about it individually then. If it was Eagle, what would you say?"

"It's Eagle, isn't it?"

"No," Meson said, surprised a little at his ability to make a straight face. "It's not. Just answer the question."

Geo sighed and hesitated. Seconds ticked by slowly as he stood in contemplation, Meson about ready to hop up and down with anxiety. After he got Eagle over with, he could throw out names of everybody who was even a mere friend of Geo's, and he wouldn't suspect a thing.

"I don't know," he finally admitted. "I can't just tell him that I don't return his feelings. He-he's my best friend for crying out loud. But... it's just that... I don't know what I would say. I really don't."

Meson cringed and looked away before Geo could figure out that it really was Eagle that Meson was asking the questions for. "What if there was a possibility that you could reciprocate the feelings? Would you give it a chance?"

"If I wasn't with Milano... maybe."

"I see," said Meson with a slow nod. It would be a very bad idea for Eagle to tell Geo anything. So, in order to stop any suspicion that could be seeping out of Geo, Meson continued. "What if it was Zazu?"

To that, Geo cracked up. "Well, he's way too young to be developing those kinds of feelings, and besides, last I checked, he was completely into girls. No chance it would happen."

"But what if it did?"

Geo shook his head. "First off, he's way too young. I would tell him that right off the bat. And... it's just too unlike him, Meson. I can't imagine it at all. I think the first thing I'll do, honestly, is try not to laugh."

Meson smiled. "And what if it was Aston?"

"I swear he has a thing for my brother."

"Just answer the question."

And it went on like that for the rest of the night as the two walked on to the most laid-back restaurant in Matador County.

Meson had all of the information that he needed, and he even finished his homework to boot. The sifts in his and Geo's friendship was mended by the trip, which was far more than Meson had anticipated, but the two agreed that being together alone like they had was very good for their relationship. Things were getting as closer to normal as it could before the four ever met Milano.

However, as adults always say, with everything good comes something bad.

Meson had advice for Eagle, and he needed to give it to him now, the night before classes started up for the week again, so that Eagle could finally figure out what to do before he drove himself insane.

When Geo and Milano went off to do... whatever it is they were going to do, and Zazu said that he was going up to study with Aston, Meson pulled Eagle to a corner in the cafeteria and made him speak in low whispers in case some overheard. If Aston wasn't in the dorm room with Zazu, he would have made Eagle go there, and if the elevators weren't so busy, Meson would have done the same he had when he first discovered Eagle's emotions.

"What do you want, Meson?" asked Eagle, frowning.

"I... lied. There is something I can do to help, but it won't solve your problems," Meson said slowly. "You probably know why I took Geo to Matador County. Don't worry, I didn't tell him anything at all. But I did find something out..."

"And that is...?"

Meson sighed, looked away, and wondered how to word it just right so that Eagle wouldn't be hurt too badly by it. He also couldn't let Eagle know that he almost gave it all way to Geo, even if he did manage to cleverly cover it up. He asked more questions on the subject of a cadet named Mazda than he did with Eagle, after all. If anything, Geo was suspecting that this Mazda person was the man in love with him. It was wrong to deceive someone, even if it was for someone else's own good. Meson knew that better than anyone, but he did what he had to do to keep his promise to Eagle.

"Okay," said Meson, sighing. "You can't tell Geo. Whatever you do, don't tell him. I'm not sure if he's ready to listen. He's so hung up on Milano... just please. Don't."

Eagle widened his eyes slightly, seeming taken aback, but sobered and nodded. "I... understand."

Meson cringed. "I'm... so sorry, Eagle. I wish I knew what to say. I'm not a love counselor or anything but..."

"It's okay, Meson, it's not your fault or anything," Eagle assured with a fake smile. "Please, don't worry about it. All you want to do is help. And I'm thankful for it. I truly am. What you're basically telling me is use any method necessary and fall out love with Geo?"

Meson nodded. "That's what I would do, but if you have a better plan... I suggest that you use it."

Meson wasn't the one in love, but he felt ready to throw a chair across the cafeteria. He hated this injustice, and there was more of a reason to hate Milano even further.

He forgot, at least for a few months, that when he interrogated Geo about all of his male friends that could possibly be in love with him, Eagle was the only person Geo was unsure how he would respond to. He was the only person that Geo would give a chance to if Milano had never come to Autozam.

* * *