Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Magic Knight Rayearth: Medieval Mystery Series ❯ The Girl by the Sea ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Magic Knight Rayearth, Medieval Mystery Series...Part 6.

At last, Umi and Hikaru enter the story. I know, it's been a long time coming, but all good things are worth waiting for, right?

Those of you who haven't seen the MKR series, when Hikaru's sword first evolves, may get lose in this one. Hikari is one of Ascott's friends who looks like a cute fox when he's in small form, but can grow to an enormous flaming wolf, easily the size of a building. Because of that ability, I chose him to serve as Ascott's minion for this part of the story.

C-chan.

(Actions)

Name: Thoughts.

Name: Speech.

*~*~*~*~*~*

(Umi and her nanny walk down the busy streets of Cape Frayel, a large medieval trade centre on the western coast. It's a clear day, with the sun shining brightly. However a cold wind off the ocean has everyone dressed appropriately. Umi wears an ultramarine blue dress, full of frills and lace. She also has a navy blue cape and muff, and white, elbow length gloves. As they approach the pier, Umi rests her elbows on the railing and gazes out listlessly at the harbour and the ocean beyond.)

Umi: Why do I feel so restless lately...it's like something's been calling me.

Nanny: Mistress, are you worried about your father?

(Umi nodds)

Umi: It's been almost three months since his ship set sail. He promised me he would be home before the end of the summer, but that was last week...

(She looks out again to the ocean, and sighs deeply.)

Nanny: Oh, mistress, you know how unpredictable things can be. He probably got hung up somewhere for a few days, maybe because of a storm or something. I'm certain he's all right though, you're father's the best merchant on the seas. Just you wait, tomorrow he'll come sailing into that harbour with a chest full of spices and treasures just for you...

Umi: You really think so?

Nanny: Of course I do dear. Now then, let's be on our way. It's bitterly cold out today...

Umi (smiling at her): Thank you Nanna, but I think I'll just wait here for a moment. Why don't you come collect me when you're finished the shopping?

Nanny: ...Of course dear. I won't be a moment.

(She walks off and Umi returns to her gazing at the ocean...)

Umi: ...but still...why do I feel...

(A noise over to her side draws her attention. A large crowd has gathered along the quay, cheering and booing at some sport. Curious, Umi walks over...)

Umi: Excuse me...Pardon me...

(she still can't get through the crowds of people who push her back. After about three seconds, her temper gets the best of her.)

Umi: OUT OF MY WAY!!

(She charges right out to the front of the crowd, sending even full grown men flying.)

Umi: There. That's better...WHAAA!!!

(Directly in front of her, a full grown flaming Hikari sends a young sailor flying. He lands with a groan at the edge of the pile of sand serving as an arena. Umi stands in shock.)

Umi: What the?

(The crowd cheers)

Umi (annoyed sweat drop): They're cheering for the monster?

(The sailor tries to get back on his feet, however...)

Ascott: That's enough, you've been defeated. Ha, you didn't even touch him. You really are pathetic...Next!

Ascott (To himself): This is really getting boring...these sailor goons are nothing more than street brawlers...

(He's sitting on a thrown type chair, on a raised platform, at the opposite side of the ring. He turns back and realises that no one has entered the ring.)

Ascott (Aloud): Come on! Are you all, scared?

(No one steps forward.)

Ascott: Stand up and give it a try! Anyone who can defeat my Hikari gets this rare and beautiful gem!!

(He uncloaks the staff and reveals the sparking blue water escudo gem in its scepter, and the whole crowd "Oooos".)

(From the other side of the ring, Umi stares, transfixed upon the jewel. A sudden gust of wind blows her hair as the waves crash against the side of the quay...)

Umi:...the ocean...

(Ascott wraps the escudo up once again, and Umi seems to come back to herself.)

Francis: Umi!

Umi: Huh?

(A young man with blond hair and rich clothes comes up behind her and greets her with a bow. He's obviously one of Umi's many suitors. At his side he wears a rapier.)

Umi: Francis, what are you doing here?

Francis: The jewel this kid bears is extravagant, is it not?

Umi: Yes, but...

(A dazed look seems to come over her eyes as she thinks of the gem.)

Francis: Do you desire it?

Umi (Coming back to earth): Well I uh...uh...

Francis: Then it shall be yours.

Umi: What? Francis!!

(He's already headed for the arena. Just as he steps onto it, he turns back...)

Francis: Only the best for my beautiful Umi.

(He steps forward into the ring before she can say another word, and addresses Ascott.)

Francis: You had best begin saying good-bye to that jewel of yours...

(He draws his sword)

Francis: ...for it shall belong to me, Francis Delacroix, by the end of this match!!

(Ascott does not seem impressed.)

Ascott (to himself): First goons, and now wimps. How boring, I'll never find the Magic Knight this way.

(He stands up on his thrown.)

Ascoot: (quietly): Oh well, Clef said I couldn't be picky... (Aloud) ... Alright, BEGIN!

(They begin to fight, Umi watches from the sidelines...)

Umi: Francis...

(He dodges one attack, and stabs with his sword, just missing Hikari.)

Ascott: Hey, this kid's not bad...

(Hikari swipes at him and sends Francis sprawling. Ascott and the crowd cheers.)

Ascott: Yay Hikari!!

Umi: Francis...

(Francis rolls on the ground, gets back onto his feet, and continues fighting.)

Umi:...he's always been an arrogant jerk but...still...he's not cruel or greedy like my other suitors.

(Francis attacks again, barely misses, and again gets thrown back into the sand. He's slower getting back to his feet this time. The crowd and Ascott cheer loudly for the "monster". For a moment, Francis seems to want to give up, then he sees Umi and, regains some of his determination.)

Umi: ...and...he's doing this for me.

Umi: ...That Idiot!

(He swings at the monster and lands a hit. A flesh wound in the leg, the monster roars. Francis backs up, looking hopeful again, the crowd cheers.)

Umi (Looking Around): They're all idiots! They don't care who wins or looses! They just want to be entertained! Of all the moronic...

(She storms off back through the crowd.)

Umi: I've got to stop it before someone gets hurt!

(Meanwhile, Ascott, standing on his throne, is cheering loudly for Hikari, who has just landed another swipe on Francis. As he pulls himself back up, Francis start to bleed lightly through the ripped fabric of his shirt.)

Ascott: That's it Hikari! Get him!

(The monster is obviously pissed off, and Francis seems to be done for.)

Ascott: Hehehehehe! Now this is FUN!!

Umi: THAT'S ENOUGH!!!

(She storms out from behind Ascott's throne and grabbs him by the front of his shirt, lifting the little guy to his tiptoes. The crowd stops cheering and stares in shock.)

Umi: Call of your monster RIGHT now! How DARE you, beating people up for FUN!!

(Hikari stops his attack as he realises his master's in trouble.)

Ascott (In shock): I...I.. ... He's NOT a monster! He's my friend!

Umi: Your...friend?

Ascott: Yes, everyone's always calling my friends monsters! But they're not. They're nice, and...

*SLAP!!*

(Umi throws one across his face. Ascott is stunned.)

Umi: How dare you! Using your friends like this. Don't you realise they could get hurt! No wonder people think they're monsters! It's because you make them act like monsters!!

(Ascott and the crowd are motionless for a moment, even Hikari and Francis haven't moved. Umi continues to stare down at Ascott, still holding the front of his shirt. Ascott's eyes begin to glisten.)

Ascott: I...I...

(A tear runs down his cheek. Umi lets him go. He falls back into his chair like a ball of fabric.)

Ascott: I'm sorry...*sniff*...*sniff*

Hikari: Preee?

(While no one was looking, Hikari changed back into his cute little fox form. He bounds up to Ascott and jumps on his lap. Ascott huggs him.)

Ascott: I'm sorry Hikari, the old lady's right...

Umi (>_<) : WHO ARE YOU CALLING OLD!!!

(Ascott ignores her and laughs as Hikari licks his face. Disappointed, because no one's getting beat up anymore, the crowd starts to disperse, Francis falls to his knees and Umi runs to him.)

Umi: You idiot! What did you think you were doing.....

(She continues to yell at Francis as she dabs his wounds with her handkerchief. Ascott watches her, Hikari in his arms.)

Ascott: What a strange lady...

(Suddenly he notices a beeping sound, which is being emitted from the Escudo on the staff. Curiously he lifts off the cover of the jewel to find it flashing brightly.)

Ascott: Whuh...What the....

(Umi stops yelling at/tending to Francis and they both look behind them to see the gem. Suddenly it flashes so bright everyone has to look away. The magic casing around it cracks, and the gem breaks free and falls to the ground. It begins bouncing towards the de-railed side of the quay...and the ocean.)

Ascott: NO!!

Hikari: Preee!!

(Umi says nothing, but takes off like a shot after it.)

Ascott: Huh? Lady! Stop! Wait!! Don't touch it!!

(Umi thinks he said something else.)

Umi: Don't worry, I'll get it!!

Umi: Just a bit farther...

(She dives for it and catches it in her hand.)

Umi: ...I Got it!

Francis: UMI!!!

(She wasn't watching where she was going and dove clean off the quay.)

Umi: Ooops!!!

(She hangs for a moment in mid air, before dropping straight down into the sea. Francis and Ascott run to the side of the quay.)

Francis: UMI!!!

(Some bubbles hit the surface, then nothing. Just as Francis is about to dive in and save her, pale blue rays breaks out of the water.)

Ascott: !!!

(Suddenly an eruption of bubbles gush to the surface. Slowly, Umi surfaces again, rising on a pillar of water, to a height just above the quay. Her eyes are shut, her face calm. She is drenched from head to toe, her wet clothes and hair flapping heavily around her in the spray given off by the spinning spire. In her hands in front of her, she holds a radiant ball of blue light. Slowly, she opens her eyes, like in a trance, and raises her hands to her eye level.)

Ascott: ...Magic...Knight...

*BAM!*

(The light explodes backwards, blowing all the water from Umi's clothes and hair. As the last flash disappears from her hand, the pillar begins to shrink, and she falls gently forward...)

Francis: Umi!!

(He runs foreward to catch her, but a big Hikari blocks his way. Umi hits the ground as gentle as a feather, and Ascott steps up to her, confused.)

Francis: HEY!!!

Ascott: This...is the Magic Knight?

(He blinks for a moment, looking at her. She's completely dry, and a gleaming blue gem is strung on a silver hand-bracelet on the back of her left hand. Ascott bends down and examines it.)

Ascott: It won't come off, she really is the Magic Knight

(Suddenly Ascott seems dissapointed.)

Ascott: Boaring! And here I thought that finding the Magic Knight would be challenging. It's only the fourth day, and already I've found her...Oh well.

(Ascott's driver appears and picks up Umi. As they turn to go back to the carriage, Francis has a perplexed look on his face.)

Francis: ...Magic...Knight...??

Ascott: Come on Hikari, it's back to the castle for us.

(Hikari turns and runs to follow Ascott, shrinking all the way. Mid way through his last bound he returns to his cute little form and flies into the carriage. The door shuts behind him, and the carriage rides away. Francis sits there alone on the quay, completely confused.)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 6, end.