Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Magic Knight Rayearth: Medieval Mystery Series ❯ Missed One ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 15

Notes: As someone pointed out, Alicyone's power is ice, and all her beasts actually flame with icy fire, but in the manga, (which I've seen more often than the movies,) it just looks like fire. Also, try explaining an "Icy fiery steed" in some way that doesn't sound really corny. So, for those of you that know this, just imagine blue fire, and pretend that Ferio got freezer burn fighting the two headed wolf thingy. :-P

*~*~*~*~*

"Hikaru wait!" Umi yelled out of breath. She stopped just by the outer wall as Umi doubled over, breathing hard.

"What is it Umi?" Hikaru asked.

"What is it?" an SD Umi yelled, forgetting her exhaustion. "We're chasing after a sorceress, powerful enough to tear down this whole city, and we don't even have weapons!"

"We do…" Hikaru said quietly as she gazed at the escudo gem on her hand, " I'm just not sure how we use them."

Umi face faulted, "What good does that do us?"

"When I first got my powers, I remember I had armor, and a sword, but when they disappeared, all that was left was the gem. I'm sure they're in there." Hikaru said. "I had magic too, but…"

"Magic?" Umi gasped in amazement. "You mean you're a witch?"

Hikaru, "I uhhh…"

Umi, "That is so cool! Do you think I might have magic now too?"

"Uh…I guess, probably. Yeah sure!" She smiled.

"Alright!" Umi cheered, " We'll be like witch sisters!"

"Great!" Hikaru laughed, "You me and…" She stopped short. It seemed like the most natural thing in the world to say it…but…

"and Fuu…" Umi finished for her.

"But…she's not a witch." Hikaru said unhappily.

"So what, we'll make her an honorary member, just cause she's cool." Umi winked. Hikaru liked that idea, and smiled.

"Great, now lets go find that old hag." Umi turned and ran off, following the outer wall until she reached the point where the magic beasts had entered, crumbling it to rubble.

"Alayhia Ice Spear!"

There was no warning as the shards of ice skimmed through the air, and Umi's body. She had only time to give a shocked choke before she crumbled to the ground, bleeding from at least fifty surface wounds.

"U…UMI!!!" Hikaru ran to her side, catching her as she fell. As she did, she heard a sound that sent shivers through her spine.

"Ah-ha ha ha ha ha," Alicyone's laughter was hollow and empty like her soul. Hikaru looked up to see her sitting on her steed, her staff still aimed at Umi. "You really are young, aren't you. Just like Zagato said you were."

"Zagato?" Hikaru breathed. Wasn't he Lantis' brother?

"Oh well, it really doesn't matter. If Zagato wishes it, it is my duty to kill you, fledgling Magic Knights. Good bye."

"You…" Hikaru felt the rage mounting inside her as her fists began to shake. "You did this to Umi!" She yelled. "To everyone! I won't forgive you!!"

With her last words she was suddenly engulfed in flames from head to toe. They roared as they whipped madly around her for a brief moment, and then diminished revealing an armored and armed Hikaru.

"What?" Alicyone murmured in surprise. Hikaru wasted no time in launching her attack.

"ARROW OF FLAME!!"

Alicyone's scream could be heard echoing through the capital.

*~*~*~*

"Zagato, Emerald…" Clef breathed.

He stopped in the door, unsure of what was going on. Had they come to seek answers from Eterna too? Then why did the look in Zagato's eyes make him feel so uneasy. The princess too didn't look pleased to see him either. What was going on?

The question was answered at least in part when Zagato stepped aside so that Clef could get a clear look at the fountain. Its surface, one smooth like a mirror, had vanished, revealing a darkness that appeared to be a hole. But to where?

"Zagato, what are you doing?" Clef asked darkly as he grasped his staff tighter.

"Clef, please, don't interfere." Princess Emerald pleaded as Zagato turned to face him.

"Tell me what you are doing." Clef repeated. Zagato returned his dark gaze.

"It would be useless to explain it to you now." Zagato answered slowly, "There's nothing you can do to stop us, the box is almost within our grasp."

"The box?" Clef repeated, confused. Then he took a breath in shock, "The box of will, Pandora's Box? What do you hope to accomplish with that?"

Zagato turned back to the fountain, "To make every man's wish come true." He said.

"But the box was lost long ago! Nobody knows where it is…"

"Its in there…" Princess Emerald interrupted quietly as she looked into Eterna. "My ancestors sealed it away long ago, so that it could never fall into the hands of the wrong person. The key was by itself was powerful enough, but now…"

Zagato moved slowly over to where she stood and put an arm around her. "It is time." He said. Gently he picked her up and carried her some distance away from the fountain. There was a blinding flash as the waters of Eterna boiled over and cascaded down unnaturally forming a staircase of water.

"STOP!" Clef yelled. "I can't let you do that, I can't let you awaken that power!"

Zagato didn't pause, as he slowly mounted the staircase.

"If you won't listen, I'll have to use force." Clef threatened, but it was to no avail. Unhappily he grasped his staff and summoned a spell.

"Cleft Light Attack!"

"Black crystal spear!" Zagato counter attacked.

Whether it was because of the power of Eterna, or because of Clef's half hearted spell, Zagato's attack was able to completely overwhelm Clef's. He yelled in sharp pain as the thin slivers of black stone cut through his body, wounding him in the shoulder, leg, and chest.

"Clef, no…" Princess Emerald whispered from Zagato's arms, but she did nothing to stop him, and slowly they sank into the depths of Eterna together.

"Why…"Clef wondered as he sunk to the ground.

*~*~*~*~*

Fuu slowly crept back to the clearing where Ferio and the two-headed hellhound were fighting. It was the only way she could carry out her plan.

"It has to work," she thought. "There's no other way. Hang on Ferio…"

There was a roar and a sudden yell on the other side of the bushes. It was all Fuu could do to keep herself from looking to see if Ferio was all right. It would all be over if she blew her cover now, but…

The sounds of fighting resumed on the other side of the bushes and Fuu sighed with relief, believing Ferio to be all right. Once again, she began slowly working towards her target.

The powder, she had realized, was magic powder that reacted to any type of spark or flame. Although she had never seen flames like the ones of the wolf beast, she could only hope that they would have the same affect as a regular flame. If so, then she could use that to her advantage, but…

"It'll have to be perfect." she thought, "If I don't work fast enough I'll never get second chance."

She at last reached a point where she could almost reach out and grab the canisters. Untying her handkerchief from her hair, she found a stout, long stick that she thought would be appropriate, and prepared to make a dash for it. Gathering her courage, she risked a glance out into the clearing, and finding the beast's back turned to her, rushed out as fast as she could.

She reached the canisters and began unscrewing the lids, doing her best to be quiet. Despite her best efforts though, she dropped the last tin lid, and it fell to the ground with a clatter, instantly sparking the attention of Ferio, and the hound beast.

"Fuu! What are you doing? Run away stupid!!" Ferio yelled as the two headed wolf turned 180 and bounded directly towards her as full speed. Fuu ignored him and continued working.

"Dammit!" Ferio yelled as he forced his tired body to sprint after the wolf, but it was too late, the hell hound was already half way across the clearing and still gaining speed. Fuu stood up, but didn't run. Why?

"Fuu!" he cried out between ragged breaths, but she didn't listen. All her attention was focused on the beast charging towards her at full speed. Everything would depend on that crucial moment. If she missed it, it would be over for both of them.

Ferio, "Run!"

The hellhound leapt directly at her throat, its open mouths snarling and trailing froth. At the last second, Fuu revealed the weapon she had kept hidden behind a tree. The sick, with her green handkerchief tied around one end. With deadly accuracy, she held it up and bracing it against her shoulder, she aimed it for the monster's mouth.

Too late for the beast to change direction, its momentum carried it forward, forcing the stick down it's throat. The one head howled in pain as it landed hard on its flank to Fuu's right side. She took a few shaky steps back, praying her plan would work.

The hellhound regained it's footing and the second head began pulling at the stick. Within a minute, it was free, however the handkerchief was no longer tied around the end. The wolf glared at Fuu with fierce hatred and prepared to spring. A small shriek escaped her lips as she brought her arms up in defense. She had been wrong, it was all…

"BANG!!*

The sudden fierce wind of a concussion whistled around Fuu as she stood, and then died down as quickly as it had started. When Fuu opened her eyes all that remained of the wolf were pieces of black ash, drifting harmlessly on the wind.

"Fuu!" Ferio exclaimed as he ran up beside her. She said nothing, and for a moment they stared in disbelief and shock as the bits of ash were carried away by upon the breeze. After a moment Ferio asked, " What did you do?"

"I tied some of your powder in my handkerchief, and put it what I thought would be the most effective place." She said, still slightly distant.

"Most effective spot huh?" he said, raising an eyebrow to the star shaped burn spot on the ground. "I'll say, but, how did you know it would work?"

Fuu, "I didn't."

"What!!!" Ferio cried in exasperation. "You're crazy! You could've been killed! You…"

He stopped as Fuu turned and smiled up as him. "No more crazy than you, Ferio-san. You were the one fighting the monster-san with only a sword. You could have been severely injured."

"Who me? I'm fine." He crossed his arms over his chest and tilted his nose up indignantly. "I've been in fights worse than this one. I could've beaten him without any…"

He was startled by a sudden ripping sound, as Fuu tore strands from the bottom of her white apron. Without a word she gently took his injured arm in her hands and began wrapping the strips, like bandages, where he had been bitten.

"There, that should do for now." She smiled as she finished, "I'll take better care of it once we get back to the castle again."

Ferio stared for a minute at the neatly tied bandage. Usually the ones he tied for himself were pretty sloppy. In fact, he wasn't sure he could remember anyone else ever…"

"Ferio?" Fuu said. "Thank you very much, for protecting me back there."

Ferio's mind snapped back to the fight, and the one thing he had realized in its duration.

"Any time," he said lightly, not wanting to worry Fuu. "Come on, we had better get back to the castle fast, it looks like the weather's turning." And it was indeed. The sky, once sapphire blue and dotted with perfect cotton-ball clouds, had become crowded and dark. However this wasn't Ferio's real concern as he shouldered his sword, and grabbed Fuu's hand, leading her protectively down the paths of the forest.

"Why?" He thought as they moved through the deepening darkness together.

"Why was it after Fuu?"

*~*~*~*~*

Presea ran through the abandoned streets, straining every sense in her body to search for signs of life. The fight was headed this way, and she wanted to be sure she hadn't missed anyone.

She stopped at a usually busy corner and listened for any sign of life. Nothing. No wait, there was something. A moan? Someone crying? Where was it coming from…?

She stopped as she realized the one place that had been forgotten. A tall black stone building, known for its stench, and usually ignored by the general public.

"The prison!" She breathed in disbelief. "The prisoners are still trapped down there!"

The ground shook as the fighting got closer. Dust exploded from some of the weaker buildings as their foundations began to crack. Gritting her teeth against fear, she ran into the dungeon.

It was dark down there, and damp. While her eyes adjusted to the light, her other senses were overwhelmed with the most frightening sensations. People moaning, or yelling in fear, the deep cold, and the smell so terrible it made her nauseous.

"What's going on out there!" Someone yelled at her from the side. Presea jumped as she realized she was staring at a human. A very filthy man in desperate need of a shave, his eyes glazed with a slightly crazy look. Presea swallowed and gathered her courage.

"We have to evacuate you immediately." She explained as the ground shook underneath. "Do you know where the keys are?"

The crazy man nodded and gave her directions to the office in which they were kept. Luckily everyone had left in such a hurry they hadn't bothered to lock the office door, and Presea found the keys easily. Quickly she returned to the man with crazy eyes.

"Which one is it?" She asked. The man had no clue so she tried them all until she found the one that worked.

"Now will you help me get the others ou…" The man barged past her, knocking her against the wall, and headed straight out the door. Presea stood stunned for a moment. How could he be like that? How could anyone…

The ground shook, reminding her of her task. Gritting her teeth and clenching her fists, she forged on.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was the same with all the prisoners. Not one of them was willing to stay behind and help. Soon Presea was sweating with fear and exhaustion, but she would make it. She new she would make it.

It was near the bottom, at what Presea thought to be the second last room when all that changed. She had just let a young pickpocket out of his cell, and was heading down towards the lowest cell in the dungeon when…

"That's it miss. There's no more." He stopped and yelled back at her.

"But isn't there…" She protested.

"Leave that one alone Miss, he's gone in the head. If you go there he'll…" A sudden tremor of the building sent him flying up the stairs without another word.

"The fighting must be right above us by now." She thought. She was running out of time. Should she go? Should she leave him?"

"Make sure you get everyone!" she remembered Clef's voice. He wouldn't back down now if he were here, and she'd never be able to face him again if she knew…

She turned and ran down the hall towards the last cell. Quickly she reached for the last key and stuck it in the lock.

"Well, well, what have we here?" a voice like pure acid leaked out of the bars to her ears. Presea trembled all over, but forced herself to concentrate on the key. It was sticking, or the lock was rusty from lack of use, either way, it wouldn't turn completely.

"W..we're evacuating the city. You have to run as soon as you get out of here." She stammered as she fiddled with the lock. At last it turned and Presea breathed a sigh of relief.

"Have to run eh?" The acid voice said, closer than ever. It pushed open the door, slamming her into the wall hitting her face and head hard. Before she could regain her balance, she felt tight arms squeezing her, pulling her, and pushing her. She went flying backwards into darkness and hit the ground.

There was a "Clank" as the door was locked once again.

She was alone.

A single tear slid down her cheek as she lay there, locked in the deepest, darkest cell of the dungeon. The ground below her shook, and dust rained down from the stone celing above her.

"I'm so sorry, Clef…" She whispered, "I…I missed…someone…"

There was a final thud as something big hit the prison. The old building groaned in protest, as the ceiling above her gave way.

A stone hit her on the head.

There was no pain, only blackness.

*~*~*~*~*~*