Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Maybe This Time ❯ Maybe This Time - Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Maybe This Time
 
Genre: General / Romance
Pairings: Clef x Umi
Rating: T (13+ Only)
 
Lit., Type: Song Fiction
Song: Maybe This Time, Michael Murphy
 
Author: Aruka
 
Summary: Clef and Umi parted ways after the Magic Knights saved Cephiro from destruction and invasion. Umi's struggles and anguish led her to take comfort from a certain Mage whom she confided her tears to; but all was not well when she realized her love for him. He stood by her; Clef, feeling responsible for the girl's dilemma lends her a hand- letting her pour out her troubles. Little did he know he was falling for her as well; soon, the Magic Knights needed to get back home to Tokyo. Hikaru and Fuu were able to tell their loved ones in Cephiro know their feelings; Umi however sealed the love in her heart and left without telling him. And he, the Master Mage Clef, did nothing but to respect this and let his romance for her be left untapped. What would happen if they find themselves meeting eyes again? His Sky and her Ocean…
 
Disclaimer: Magic Knight Rayearth belongs and is copyrighted to Clamp. I am merely expressing a fandom by writing this fic. If by any chance, I had spoiled the Original Story, please bear with me. Thanks and much love from yours truly.
 
[Maybe This Time]
Prologue
 
Umi lay restless in her bed with eyes filled tears, which for some reasons had been flowing from the time she woke up. A soft sob escaped her lips audible enough for her friend to hear. Hikaru, who happened to be standing by the window, heard this; her hands stretched out in the air. Worried, she walked over the blue haired girl's bedside, nudging her gently to check if she was alright. Umi, feeling reclusive, shook her head and shuffled herself into the covers, muttering.
 
“I'm fine Hikaru, don't worry.”
 
The Fire Knight however, didn't take this. With worried eyes and a concerned heart, she crept under the blanket and hovered over her friend, staring at her with her cat-like trade.
 
“Umi,” she whispered, grinning at her. “It's a beautiful day today. Just look out there!”
 
Hikaru, ecstatic as ever, sat up and threw the blanket over, revealing them both out of the comfy layers of Umi's blanket.
 
“A wonderful day awaits us! It's finally here Umi, finally…”
 
Umi's cerulean eyes darted over the window Hikaru was pointing at. Yes, it was definitely a beautiful day; the sun was shining and the sky was clear and delightful in its blue horizon. She sighed, slowly sitting up as Hikaru leaped happily back the window, opening the panes with much enthusiasm; Hikaru's ruby eyes widening in glee as the blue waters of Tokyo Bay surprised her view. Umi, who had been downhearted since she woke up, cast her eyes away from the view. It had been nearly four years since Hikaru and Fuu moved in her condo unit near the bay. The two were happy just to be with her, and she as well. She smiled to herself, slipping out of bed lazily and went over her vanity dresser.
 
“Oh Hikaru, you're excitement is scaring me.”
 
Hikaru and Umi looked back to see who it was. Not so surprisingly, there was a blonde girl with emerald eyes standing by the ajar door, smiling. It was Fuu. Umi smiled, and Hikaru instantaneously swayed towards the door, holding Fuu's hand in pleasure.
 
“Fuu,” She exclaimed, smiling broadly at the blonde female. “The day has come! We're finally-”
 
Fuu cut in excitedly, smiling whole-heartedly as she hugged Hikaru warmly, tears welling up on her eyes dramatically. “Yes, we're finally going back to Cephiro! I know.” Releasing her friend, they chorused in giggle; the thought of being back in their lovers arms made them feel alight and electrified.
 
Umi watched her friends' cheer, feeling happy for them both.
 
“Cephiro…'”
 
She found herself muttering, her back now drawn to her gleeful company. Her heart was joyous, for her friends were to be finally happy with their love. However, she can't help but feel hollow. Going back to Cephiro was perilous; it gives way to so much heartache and yet, promises a lot of romance in a way. Umi can't get over that fact. It was a gamble on her end. She was utterly confused.
 
“Umi,”
 
The Water Knight came to a start. She turned to look at Fuu, who plastered a look of concern in her eyes. The girl seemed worried, same was Hikaru.
 
`I shouldn't worry them. My heart could wait, theirs is the most important for now…'
 
She told herself, walking over towards her two friends. “We'll all be back in Cephiro. Our happiness awaits us there. Not to mention our friends.” Umi felt her heart skip a beat. `Happiness, Cephiro…' She hugged Hikaru and Fuu in an embrace, enveloping them in her arms tight, and held back a sob of uncertainty with Hikaru and Fuu returned the favor.
 
`Clef…' Umi felt something hot brew in her eyes, wetting her cheeks. Without notice, her cries welled out of her, for reasons she denies and neglects. Being Hikaru and Fuu's best friend, she was ultimately happy for them both. They mattered so much to her, and their happiness shall be hers; much like their smiles, it'd her own; she couldn't ask for more. Or so that's what she made herself to believe.
 
---
 
He gazed hazily out the water fountain in the center of the garden from his birds eye view in his room's patio. The Mage watched the flowing water stream down the fountain, his eyes reflecting that of the water. It had been one of those depressing mornings when he awoke from the visions of the Water Knight in his dreams. It had been so long since he last thought of her; her memory lingered in his memories vividly, as if it was just yesterday when she would come to his room and cry her heart out to him. He sighed, shaking his head to deter the memories from getting through him. Clef, the powerful Master Mage of Cephiro, having a hard time to get over a girl from another world was silly. But silly as it may seem, he didn't care. The girl was one of a kind; given the chance, he'd tell her what he left unsaid and cherish her if it's the last thing he do.
 
“But I know it's nay possible…” He whispered softly, fists clenched against the marble surface of the veranda. “Oh Umi, if only-”
 
The Mage turned his head to his door, finding a rose-headed female stand between the entrances of his room.
 
“Caldina-”
 
He said bluntly, eyeing her directly as she moved in slowly, handing him over a scroll. “The Council wishes to see you today after breakfast, Master.” Her eyes loomed in fret, having overheard him say the Water Knight's name. She was about to speak, but he halted her with his words.
 
“I shall see them. You may leave.”
 
The illusionist was hesitant to depart, but staying wouldn't help either way. Knowing the Mage, he prefers to have his quiet time, than to relinquish the memory of the blue haired female with anyone. With a bow, she turned her heel and fled the room.
 
---
 
The Knights watched the busy people on the streets from the tower. With a smile, Umi looked to her side, where Hikaru and Fuu stood. They gave the same smile at her, nodding. At last the time has come.
 
`I couldn't be happier for them…' Umi inhaled her last breathe of Tokyo's air.
 
“It was clever of you to will our return to Cephiro before you abolished the Pillar System, Hikaru.”
 
Blue eyes stared at the redhead's eyes, closing the real emotions she has, not to alarm her friends about it. Fuu agreed with a giggle; Hikaru, with a flushed face scratched the back of her had humbly. Umi took both of their hands and held them tight. With one last look of Tokyo, their closed their eyes and focused their minds to one place. A place where everything had began. The land, where their hearts learned all the brand new emotions they never knew.
 
“Cephiro…” They chorused in voice and thought; feeling a heated sense of light surround them, as the ground seemed to cascade away from their feet; a strong gust of brushing upon them; a familiar feeling washing over their bodies. They were falling.
 
---
 
As they slowly opened their eyes, they found themselves up in the air, bodies being brought down due to the estranged land's gravity. They were back, back to their new found home.
 
“Cephiro! We're here.”
 
They heard Hikaru's voice echoing in the air, a smile in all their faces. Each of them glanced up at each other, nodding as if they had the same train of thoughts. With a swift movement of their right across their left hand, a familiar ornament magically formed around it; the gem corresponding according to their element.
 
“Rayearth,” Hikaru was the first to summon. Followed by Fuu, who called out- “Windam…”
 
Umi closed her eyes and felt the breeze to course through her. Yes, she was back. With a smile, she moved her hand over her gem, calling her Rune God.
 
“Selece..!”
 
---
 
Cephiro's castle ground in slight tremor; a familiar presence vacated the Land. The Mage and his Council ran out the Main Balcony as well as nearly everyone in the Castle.
 
Ferio, the Prince of Cephiro rushed to the crowd, followed by Lantis who stood guard of the Royal Prince. With quizzical looks on their faces, they searched for answers in their eyes, but found nothing. It was peaceful, and the incoming presences weren't of any evil, but it was alarming none the less, since this has never happened before. Caldina, Ascot and Presea followed in shortly, panting as they had ran across the Castle to see what was going on. They found no answer with the people already gathered there. Lafarga walked over the Mage, eyes in question.
 
“I have no idea…”
 
He said inwardly; the crowd getting restless, murmurs getting louder by the minute.
 
“Oh my, look!”
 
It was Caldina who screeched almost excitedly in surprise. Everyone drew their attention to where she pointed. Up in the sky, there they were; the three Rune Gods of the Magic Knights, flying gracefully in the air with their Knights.
 
Ferio and Lantis pushed out of the crowd, catching both their lovers in their arms as they fled down their Rune's. They embraced each other tight in their arms, tears welling up in their eyes. Everyone watched them in cheer. The Magic Knights had returned. Clef glanced up the last Knight, who had just departed from her Genie. She's changed a lot. His eyes wandered hers, savoring her presence.
 
“Hikaru, Umi, Fuu- oh my god, you're back!”
 
Presea cheered, with Caldina by her side, leaping in joy. Umi smiled in response, both her friends being consumed in their lover's arms. She stood there, smiling perpetually with a genuine look, however reluctant deep in her heart, eyeing everyone in the crowd; scanning their happy faces- his lovely face.
 
It was there and then, when their eyes met again; her Ocean and his Sky. They reflected each other's blue orbs, time seemingly stopped at that moment.
 
`Clef…' Umi whispered in her thought.
 
The Mage gazed at her in surprise, his heart pounding ferociously in his chest. `Umi…'
 
---
 
To Be Continued…
---
 
Author's Note: I hope you liked my little Intro. Please Review! It'll be much appreciated. Oh, and I recommend you listen to “Maybe This Time” by Michael Murphy which reading this. Love lots!