Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Maybe This Time ❯ Chapert Two - Break His Heart ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Previously On Chapter One…
 
Umi cried; now back in the comfort of her room. Pounding on the soft material, she muffled her screams of pain on her pillow. She cursed, grunted and hated herself. But she was right. Wasn't she?
 
As the night passed on, the two broken lovers reminisced, but craved to have more. But what else is left for them? The night faded and they both slept in tears, into a dreamless slumber. Hearts bleeding, and minds hurting in torture.
 
---
 
[Maybe This Time]
Chapter 2: Break His Heart
 
“Maybe this time
It'll be lovin' they'll find
Maybe now they can be more than just friends
She's back in his life
And it feels so right
Maybe this time, love won't end
 
-Maybe This Time, Michael Murphy”
 
---
 
It was yet another day. A new whole day of torment and longing, as the Master Mage looked out his balcony, recalling the events of last night that happened there, that very same spot. He grew exhausted at the simple thought of it. The way she proclaimed her words to him was enough to wear him down. She, the one person whom he let his heart to- turned him down before he even said he loves her; pathetic, was he.
 
`How could I let her run off like that?' He groaned with a fist hitting the wall madly. Even now, he could still feel his heart clenching on its tracks, as his breathing became sparse with the numbing of his hands. It was for a few seconds before he snapped out and realized the knocking on his door.
 
“Come in,”
 
With a deep breath, he turned to see Ferio glaring at him.
 
“Yes?” He shot back his questioning amber which was drawn to his fists. Clef's eyes winced at the sight of blood trickling from his knuckles to his plush carpeted floor as he looked down the same direction.
 
“Are you-” Ferio began, but was interrupted by Clef immediately. “I'm fine. What is it that you need of me at this time of day?”
 
The Prince only sighed with a shake of his head, before he turned to speak again. He could clearly make out the grieving expression of the Mage, hidden in his stern cold eyes. It was easy to read, but he dared not to ask, knowing he might fume at him; and it wouldn't be a good sight for anyone to see. The Master Mage of Cephiro was known for his mild mannered temper, but he wasn't that kind when in a bad mood; not at all, nor in any way, shape or form was he in the best mood that morning.
 
“Everyone has been waiting for you downstairs for breakfast. Or have you forgotten?”
 
Clef raised a brow at him, asking him what of this event he speaks of.
 
“Quality time and all, since the Magic Knights have returned; you promised to be there, so everyone was-” Ferio shook his head when the Mage turned his back on him and gestured that he's dismissed. He hates it when he does that. But even being the Prince of Cephiro, the Mage's rashness was nothing he could argue with. So he left without a word and went straight back to the dinning hall.
 
---
 
Umi heaved a deep, bored sigh, as she watched everyone talk contentedly about random topics here and there. She strayed from talking, and spasmodically answered some questions thrown her way, but other than the trivial queries from her friends, she said no more.
 
“Ugh, I can't believe that old jerk!”
 
Heads turned to see the person slamming the doors open; he had green hair and frustrated amber eyes. Apparently, he had another fit of argument with someone, but with whom, is still in question. Fuu dropped a sigh and shook her head as the Prince resumed a seat next to his beloved Wind Knight. Everyone, including the fluffy rodent creature, Mokona turned to look at him.
 
“…Pupupu…?”
 
Ferio sank to his seat and grabbed Mokona and threw him up and down the air like a little fluff ball. Fuu cleared her throat and looked at Ferio sternly, waiting for an explanation.
 
“It's nothing Fuu-chan; just Clef, being the old man that he is.” He groaned irritatingly, which his crowd of friends laughed at for. Fuu shook her head once more and hushed Ferio abruptly. “You shouldn't speak of him like that.”
 
Umi sat there silently, not participating in the conversation. Though, deep inside her, she was struggling to beat the answers from Ferio and not to. Caldina was next to her, and quickly turned to Ferio sheepishly with a sly grin, swirling her cup of wine on her goblet.
 
“You probably got into his room at a wrong time, y'know. With you know who being back and all.”
 
Suddenly, Umi felt like eyes were piercing on her, and she took a glance at Caldina and Presea chuckling to their sides. Umi shrugged this off quickly and looked away, eyes now on Ferio who shoved his hair away from his face.
 
“It's nothing like that,” he started, recalling the look on Clef's face he saw earlier. “He was just, not in a good mood…” He stammered and continued, “For lack of better words, that is.”
 
Fuu tilted her head in question, much like everyone else. “His fists were bleeding, and he seemed distressed. I didn't get the chance to ask him, though. You know, he's always like that.” He snorted, and the rest of the group seemed to nod in agreement.
 
Hikaru glanced at Ferio with a frown. “Do you think he's alright? I think, you know, we should-”
 
“No need Hikaru, I'm fine.” And there he was, standing to the empty seat next to the Fire Knight. He shot a furious glare at Ferio, which made the Prince grunt about something inaudible to the others. Later on, he seated himself, glaring at everyone who curiously laid eyes on his now completely healed fists.
 
“I suppose we're done with breakfast, right?” Umi spoke softly, but with a stern intention. Her eyes barely made contact with anyone, especially with Clef's, which she's been trying to avoid all this time since he sat right across her. It was for that, that she wanted to leave the table immediately; not wanting to look him in the eye, after last night's event. Hikaru stood from her seat, and nearly growled at Umi.
 
“You can't leave! Umi, we're supposed to have time with our friends today, you know that…” she was held by Fuu after, pulling her down to seat back and shook her head. “Umi, is something the matter?” It was Fuu this time, eyes softly landed upon the Water Knights own.
 
Umi remained silent for a while, with a slight frown headed towards her friends. “No, nothing... Forgive me, I'm just overwhelmed; that's all…” Averting gaze to her barely touched plate, she sank to her seat and lingered there to favor her friends, despite being uncomfortable.
 
Then the chatting began again, everyone started back on the conversation, leaving two souls to seat there motionless, avoiding each others glares after another. Ascot, who was on the other end of the table, noticed this; he had long wanted to get in touch with Umi, but Clef's presence is making his chances narrow to nothing. The longer the two's silence fell, the longer they'd been staring at each other in thought. He had a feeling they're having a telepathic conversation, but wasn't so sure; even so, he needed to break their silence, her silence. He yearns for her attention, and he's getting that now.
 
“Uhm, Umi-chan…” He fidgeted on his napkin, and found her looking back at him with a blank expression. “I uh, well…”
 
Umi stared at him, a little kind look on her face. “Yes Ascot?” She asked, gingerly washing the quiet resolve on her face. To put on a façade was what she's to do; she knows him all to well to wreak her true countenance with him. So a smile she puts on, a false smile made to seem real, as she gazed at him; his grown-up figure she's known from her last visit.
 
Everyone sighed in relief when the Water Knight finally flashed a smile; they almost thought she was burdened, but the idea was now flooded away by her sweet smile.
 
“I was wondering what you've been up to when you left…” Ascot flushed furiously, hardly looking Umi's way. “Do you mind telling us?”
 
Umi grimaced in the back of her mind; the same question was delivered just a few hours apart, and she was to answer, now, in front of all her Cephran friends. She managed to put another smile, tilting her head in a delighted fashion as she placed a finger on her chin in thought.
 
“I've been to places. And it was fun. However, I did go back to Tokyo after a few Months of travel and decided to have Hikaru and Fuu stay with me.”
 
Hikaru and Fuu agreed, beaming upon each other with broad smiles. The Fire Knight was the first to speak up; “Umi's place is great! There's a clear view of Tokyo Bay outside the patio, where we have a little garden which Umi and Fuu tends to.”
 
The blonde Magic Knight chuckled, followed by Umi. “Of course it's just me and Umi. The last time you tried to plant some flowers, you mistook pesticide as fertilizer and dent our garden.” Fuu bobbed her head, recollecting the event.
 
“Aww, but I didn't mean to you know…” Umi laughed, waving the thought from Hikaru. “Don't worry, Fuu and I took care of it already; although, I almost did wanted to throw you over board for killing my orchids.”
 
There was a pleasant ambience in the air now, especially when the Water Knight began to mingle with them as she used to. All was good, and peaceful; hearts synched in happiness, but for some, it was a mask to prevent more hurting.
 
---
 
After the Breakfast table has been cleared up, everyone resumed their post in the Castle, tending to their duties. Hikaru stayed out with Lantis, and Fuu with Ferio, apt in the throne room with the Prince talking to the Council discussing Cephran concerns. With all her friends out, Umi was left to linger to a small pond just outside the dinning hall. There was nothing to do, and so little chances to bump into anyone whom she could chat with.
 
At that time of day, there was barely anyone in the Dinning Hall, since most of the people in the Castle prefer to eat at the kitchen or had taken a meal that suits them for the rest of the day; it was so quiet, serene, and depressing.
 
Umi headed out the hall, and walked through the empty corridors of the Castle. At some point, she was to come across servants and soldiers along the way, but they were to busy curtseying to her, she had to wave a hand of dismissal, knowing they won't serve much of a conversation to her, being humbled by her presence. The Water Knight continued to wander the huge Castle, and ended up in the main balcony where she saw Hikaru down below, beaming a huge smile and a friendly wave.
 
“Umi, want to join us?” The Fire Knight invited in a loud voice, but the other Magic Knight quickly said no; “I don't want to spoil your fun; I'll just go `round.” Was her cheeky reply; bidding goodbye with a wave of her hand.
 
Sighing, Umi swept her dress on the floor as she spun on her heel. “So much for fun, huh, Umi?” She sighed, walking back inside the Castle; but was met with huge bright green eyes.
 
“Ascot, gods, you startled me!” She exclaimed, hands balled into fists as she threw them up in the air.
 
The Young Summoner flushed, scratching the back of his head. “Sorry, I didn't mean to…” He basked his head down his feet, letting out a deep breath. “So, you're bored I hear.”
 
Umi nodded, putting her hands on her hips. “I uh, well… Yes.” She tersely replied, smiling embarrassingly.
 
“I could, if it's okay with you…” Ascot wiped a sweat on his cheek, gulping and looking uncomfortably to his side when he looks at her. “I mean; wanna go out for a walk?”
 
Umi smiled to this. “Finally,” she heaved a happy sigh, commencing on his arm, clinging onto him. “I've been around looking for someone to have a decent talk to. I'm so glad I bumped into you.”
 
The teen only managed to nod, leading his object of desire outside for a good, friendly walk. He missed her presence, and now she was there, beside him as she talked and asked questions from him relentlessly. It felt good that she was there. And he wished for it to be forever, but could it?
 
---
 
Above the balcony was the window of a study room. There, a tall figure stood, watching the two converse and walk out hand in hand. He gritted his teeth, fists again formed in his hands. He couldn't make out this emotion, though he felt it, and it wasn't invigorating. Was it jealousy? He didn't know. But there he was, storming back to his seat, hands on his head as he contemplated past events.
 
`Why does she torment me so?' He asked himself in awe, grief welling up in his heart.
 
---
 
It was dark in Cephiro's Horizon, and there they were, back in the Dinning Hall where everybody seated themselves on their places. Umi wasn't anywhere to be seen, which made Hikaru wonder. She asked Caldina and Presea, but neither knows where the Water Knight was. Fuu helped herself inside, and propped her head in dismay as she looked at Hikaru.
 
“Umi's in her room. Apparently, she's not feeling well, so she decided not to meet up here.” She said gravely, patting Hikaru's shoulder.
 
Putting her fork down and glared at Fuu. “Oh, is she?” Hikaru rolled her eyes and gave up; spinning around to Lantis for better attention.
 
---
 
Blue hair was draped along the soft fabrics of linen on a large bed. Lithe form laid soothed on the lined mattress, a hand rested over her head on its back side; eyes blankly staring up the blue draperies above.
 
Her thoughts wandered outside, when the sun was shining brightly over head, and she, chatting merrily with a friend contentedly. Had she no idea what he felt? Or had she known what he felt, but set it aside? The thoughts prodded her mind for answers, but could not produce any. She was cruel, wasn't she? No. She gritted her teeth and bit her lips in frustration, as her heart pounded on her chest with subsiding guilt.
 
`No Umi, you did well. It's not your fault; nor was his. You just…' She sprung up, holding her head in her hands to fathom. Then tears began to streak down her face, cooing her sobs into a laugh, reminding her of everything; all of it.
 
---
 
The rest of the group dined in silence, with a few ice breakers about how good the meal was, but the rest of the night, had been awfully quiet.
 
Clef darted to the seat in front of him. The room was eerie in silence without her; his eyes shifting to Ascot who appears to be in some sort of struggle. He wondered what was wrong, but defied thinking about it. Of course he was alright. Umi had her arms flung around him like a love-struck girl, how could he be not okay? This made him sneer, and avert his gaze away from his student.
 
---
 
Laughter fluttered in the air, as he listened to her sweet, calm voice. She had grown more beautiful during her absence, and he loved it all the more. Her long, silky blue hair fell on her back gorgeously, as her eyes focused on the beautiful lake before them. The shade from the tree showed her beautiful azure eyes mirroring the waters; it sparkled and glittered in them, and he felt warped in its magnificence without complain.
 
“Ascot,” she turned to him with a smile, and brushed a few strands that strayed on her face. “How are you?”
 
He knew she was referring to the days they've missed; and all he could do was to smile and let her know. How he missed and yearned for her to be back in Cephiro; to be in his arms, to be his own.
 
“Umi, I…” He hugged her, his face buried to her neck, holding her tight…
 
---
 
 
Once dinner was over, everyone left abruptly with little goodbyes and sweet nights. The sky was dark, a witching hour. Neither the moon nor the stars cared to showcase their glamour for tonight. And the night passed on in eerie silence, with a hollow feeling looming in the air.
 
Ascot was the first one to leave; and in such a hurry too. Before exiting, he flashed a smile at everyone and closed the door shut behind him; but there was something in his eyes- sadness. Everyone- Hikaru, Fuu, Lantis, Ferio, Caldina, Lafarga and even Mokona noticed this. They all did. The Master Mage saw it the moment he passed from his seat earlier that evening, but didn't care to think about it any further.
 
The young boy slumped on his floor, and summoned a huge, black, furry creature that he had no second thoughts of holding onto the moment his tears flooded away from his eyes. He smoothed its raven coat, sobbing whilst muttering words of defeat; the creature lay next to him, and nudged its head against his, calming his ravaged heart.
 
---
 
Umi soothed the ends of her long hair; her back placed against the patio's wall, somewhere away from her room in Cephiro's enormous Castle. Her eyes fixated upon the dark sky, searching for glittering objects to prod away from the still dark clouds hiding their shimmering pallor.
 
Was she wrong for objecting to his wants? She wasn't, it was her strong, stern input. Today's rejection was easier than last nights. Why did this events happen so sudden with too little time frame? Her mind shooed away the thoughts; her concern now was the Palu's broken heart. Though she shed a tear for him; with her heart breaking every time she recalls the way he looked at her.
 
---
 
…Ascot held her close to his heart, muttering words of love that was strange for his vocabulary, but was easily and artfully delivered to her ears.
 
“Umi, I love you.” He pulled away from her form, green emeralds wishfully staring down the blue ocean facing him.
 
…Maybe this time…
 
He prayed she commands his wishes, and make them come true. Umi, the most beautiful girl he ever laid his eyes on, was there, seated next to him and wrapped in his tight embrace. How could he not be wishful? When she was there, and only a few words away of saying the words he had always asked for in his fantasies. Those special three words that he just said; he begged in his mind that she too, feels the same.
 
…It'll be lovin' they'll find…
 
He loves her, for gods' sake. Realization struck him hard and painful, when she dared slap his frail, child-like face; she was bold and brave to do so. One of a kind was she. And his wishes were visible deep in his eyes, and she could clearly see.
 
“Ascot…”
 
…Maybe now they can be more than just friends…
 
Her eyes gazed onto his, thoughts wavering with refusal. Her heart ached to know this fact, now said before her face to face. Umi wasn't oblivious, but she preferred to keep silent, hoping the issue doesn't come about and let it die, hopefully; but it surely didn't happen, as he was now on his knees, almost begging for her to give him love.
 
Ascot beamed his eyes in hope, breathing a little heavier than usual. “I can't keep myself in the dark, while I crave for you love. I love you, please, tell me that you do too.”
 
… She's back in his life…
 
Umi's heart sank deeper; yes, she was truly back in Cephiro. The parody of blissful wishes was now sprawled forth before her being. What was to happen if she gives? But she knew more than just to guess- surely, she'll have his heart seared in the open if she does. And it would pain them even more if this is prolonged.
 
“You're back and I wish too be with you, Umi… please, please say yes.” Ascot's words rang in her ears hauntingly; she knew he'd be devastated- but she knows better.
 
…And it feels so right…
 
She lowered herself to meet his eyes; grief fleeing her lips along with her words. “Ascot, I can't.” Yes, finally, she said it. Though broken, she wasn't defeated; nor was he. She had commitments, not only to her, but others. Ascot was a dear friend, she can't tear him apart even more by abiding his wishes; she knew it's to be far worst than breaking his dreams, and that, she wouldn't do.
 
“I love you, but I see you no more than a brother.” Her words began to sound sparse and heaved as they fled hers; he listened- listened carefully though his heart was churning in pain. “Please Ascot, forgive me…”
 
---
 
The boy clenched and unclenched his fists after evoking the memories from that day. He understood what she meant, and respects her decision. Half-heartedly, for now, he accepted this and slowly practiced his mind and heart to fully return at peace with the idea. He dares not to start all over with his infatuation. Though devastated, he can't help but smile. Umi had been true to him, and it was one of the things he liked about her; loved about her.
 
“Umi…” He muttered, releasing the handful of fur that he held onto as she slept.
 
---
 
…Maybe this time…
 
Umi watched the sky clear out; the glittering objects became ornate and decorated the sphere with intricate patterns. A smile crept to her face up to her eyes; at last, she was in peace. Her thoughts wandered again, playing with the stars above, humming, her feet swaying in the air whilst she sat on the railing.
 
“Isn't it a little late for star gazing?” A voice spoke to her from behind. She turned to see who it was, but the still darkness was all over him, and all she could make out was a pair of azure eyes looking at her.
 
She stared, and discreetly summoned her escudo from her ovum. “No need for that, Umi.” Slowly, he emerged from the dark, only to reveal the familiar face of the Master Mage himself.
 
“Clef…” she looked away shamefully, retracting her sword back to her gem, which dissipated as well into thin air. The Mage looked plain, without his robes and headdress; the large staff wasn't anywhere around him, either. He looked, ordinary. `Why do you have to be here? I might… and I know I shouldn't…'
 
The Mage watched her in remorse, `Do you have to be everywhere around here? Please, you're tempting me to break your word…' He cleared his throat after the thought, now standing from a distance on the same railing.
 
“Is it?” she muttered, taking her eyes off him and down the floor.
 
Clef raised his head up to look at her; there was pain in his eyes. The one woman he loves, there, just a few feet away, and probably in pain- worst, he can't have her; she won't even let him help her; she already said as much, and he respects it, though against his will.
 
Breaking their bordered silence, she started with an automatic question, which he found she does every now and then. He shrugged, and looked at her with a half smile.
 
“Yes it is.” And he sighed.
 
Her eyes hesitantly went his way, peering over him with guilt. “I- I see…” she slipped off the rail and put her slippers on, and without a word, started to walk in small steps back inside. There was a pause, and she knew he had been watching her. She was sure.
 
Timidly, she shifted to look at him. “Clef, I…”
 
Crash! There, her heart shattered into a thousand pieces. He watched her with silent tears in his eyes as she walked off. `No, please, don't…' She clenched her fists tight, and ran back to him, and with raised hands, had herself flung around his waist; face buried on his chest, crying.
 
… Love won't end…
 
He was stunned, dumbfounded. Was she crying; for him? Without another thought, he had his hand run over her smooth hair, hushing her sobs, which he caught himself doing as well.
 
“Hush, don't cry my dear Water Knight.” Umi quickly pulled away, fuming with furrowed eyebrows, and tear stained cheeks. “Water Knight… that's all I am to you, am I?” She exclaimed, pacing backwards from him and started to dissolve in the darkness of the hallway.
 
“You're not… I swear.” He muttered, until she was gone.
 
`Damn Clef, what did you do now?' A deep heavy sigh echoed, and a loud thud, from fists being banged against the marble rest.
 
“You're more than that. I love you…”
 
Umi heard him, still somewhere in the near the balcony within the dark hallway. She heard him, loud and clear; and she was relieved; “And I love you…” she said softly, loud enough for him to hear.
 
---
 
To Be Continued…
 
---
 
Author's Note: Umi-Ascot / Umi-Clef centric chapter.
 
Scenes starting/ending with “…” and italicized words are flashbacks from previous, untold scenes.
 
Please keep on reading. And thanks for the reviews; don't worry, there's more to come. -Mwuah-