Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Wings ❯ Mechanical Wings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter One: For the Sleeping Man

<Authors Notes: Well there used to be a different Author's Note here before but since I'm editing I figured I'd edit this to. (It was a pretty weak comment anyway, not reflecting my current thoughts on shounen ai. I still prefer straight parings but whatever. REGARD! (I mean look up, above the A.N. Mechanical Wing's title has been consistently so for over a year and a half-though I haven't updated for over a year and a half either. . . No! That's beside the point! M.W. Is this story's official title! Now and forever. Some of you may also remember this story by its former names “The Wings of an Eagle” which was changed to “Silent Wings” Why am I telling you all of this? No reason. Just wasting Word space-that and I'm taking out or shortening the rest of my previous Author's Notes for this story. Enjoy the Brand Spank'n knew (although there isn't much spanking) “Mechanical Wings” Yee haa!>

Disclaimer: “I hate you but it's not enough”-no I'm just messing around. It's not my series if it was, I'd have made the anime better. ^_-



I stared down at the young man fast asleep in his bed. He looked so peaceful, so beautiful. His breathing's so shallow though. It's almost as if he's not even breathing at all. How long have you been like this now? Far too long for my liking.

I gently pulled a few silky strands of his pale, milky hair from his closed eyes and studied his face. It mirrored no emotion, his skin near matching the colour of his hair. Without even thinking I traced my fingers over his jaw line. Slowly I made my way over his chin, lifting it slightly. Eagle.

"After all this time, nothing about you has changed," I whisper. Even though he's been incapacitated for this long, his happy easy-going attitude has never wavered. He was even able to manage a smile at times, though it seemed to take a lot out of him to do so. That hair of his never grows; neither do his finger nails-how strange that I notice that. But I guess it's because I notice everything when it comes to him. Have you been able to gather that my feelings towards him are more than platonic?

I've known him for many years-since we were but small children and early on in our friendship I came to the realization that I loved him. As a young boy however, I was taught that being attracted to someone of the same gender was a taboo, and because of that I suppose I buried my true feelings so deep that I didn't even know anymore how I truly felt. Yep. I was a really confused adolescent. It wasn't until Lantis came along that I realized that my brotherly affections towards him were actually more romantic in nature than anything else.

At first I thought I was too late but an unexpected conversation between the foreigner and I said otherwise which had left me with hope. Lantis explained to me that yes he did love Eagle, very much so, and that it surpassed any love he'd ever had for any other being before hand, but he also said that he held no romantic interests for my Commander. Heh, I remember the latter of that conversation so clearly...

"I love Eagle deeply Geo. However, I am not in love with him. Even if I was, I'd have no right to act on it, especially since his heart is in reserve for another."

"I don't understand," I remember myself saying. I was surprised that he was being so open towards me when so often we spoke very little to one another.

"Hmmm." The side of his lip curled upwards, "then I suppose that's how it will stay." And then he'd left the room.

I kept up with the brotherly figure act though. I never told Eagle that I loved him. Maybe I was too scared, or maybe I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship. I don't know, but I've made a promise to myself - to tell him when he wakes up. Yes, the day he wakes I will tell him. I refuse to tell him while he's like this, that wouldn't be fair to either of us.

I cupped the side of his face and bent over. Oh, how I wished I had the guts to at least brush my lips over his, but I don't so I simply leaned my forehead against his. "One day."

"Hikaru . . ." he mumbled. He's still asleep but it doesn't change the fact that it's her that he's talking about, if anything, it makes it worse.

I closed my eyes and stood up. I get one obstacle out of the way and another comes. Slowly I began to walk away. I'd lost all the strength to voice my secret promise. Tears brimmed and I wiped them away. Even if he doesn't feel the same way towards me as I do towards him, I must tell him. When he wakes up. I mentally told myself that's when I'll tell him. That's when.



The End? -Oh, of course it's not, you silly. Surely the fact that there's a button in the bottom right hand corner saying “onto the next chapter” tells you there are more chapters awaiting you. Which begs the question; since I'm here doing all these revisions, why then did I not simply delete those two words?
 
TBC