MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing is as it Seems ❯ Memories from a Black Canvas Bag ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Mars.

"Hey Rei," Akira greeted him as he exited the facility and headed towards Asaba's van.

"Hey..." Rei replied dryly, a little spaced by his meeting with Kira. It felt like a spaceship encounter. Things were just so different from yesterday. Kira was actually opening up a little. Not only was he feel enlightened, but he felt pretty special too.

"What's up? What did you do with your psycho today?" Akira asked with a smug grin.

"Nothing, same as yesterday," Rei replied with a casual shrug. He thought that his friends would think he were lame if he said what was really on his mind. He felt a little happy that they communicated together, and for some strange reason really wanted to get to know her better.

"Oh, interesting. Mine was all right, her name's Becky I think. Still looks as fine as ever, but still crazy as hell. She always has this blank stare, and whenever I try to bring up a positive conversation she finds a way to make it seem morbid."

"Hey, what happened to you?" Rei asked his voice raised with panic as he watched Hideaki limp out the door.

"Don't ask," Asaba said as he exited after Hideaki, offering him more tissue to place over his bloodied nose.

"His chick probably beat the shit out of him," Akira said with a shrug.

Rei looked at Hideaki and shook his head in disappointment.

"You'd think that a year in juvie would toughen him up," Akira added.

The ride back was silent, Rei stared out the window, Akira was fast asleep and Hideaki was still crying.

"T.V. Fridays, my favorite day of the week," Akira said blissfully as he plopped down on the large once cream sofa.

Hideaki and Rei sat down on either side of him.

"Hmm... so what's on tonight?" Akira said aloud to nobody in particular.

"Um, there's this movie on channel ten," Hideaki suggested shyly.

"It's on now?" he asked Hideaki impatiently.

"Yes, I think so," Hideaki replied nervously. He rarely suggested what things to watch on tv.

Akira looked at him for a brief moment, and then flipped to channel ten.

"What the fuck is this shit?!" Akira cried, as he immediately changed to the next channel. "A Beautiful Mind?! What kind of bullshit is that!? Who gives a shit about the mind? I'd rather watch a movie about violence, cause that's where the fun is at. You're such a fag."

Hideaki bowed his head low, and tried to ignore Akira's insults.

"Beautiful mind," he snickered again.

"It's an award winning movie Akira," Hideaki said softly in defense.

"Shut up man, I don't even wanna hear from you anymore," he replied, putting his feet up on the coffee table in front of him.

"Hey man, give him a break," Rei said calmly.

"Aww, how sweet, Stick up his ass-Rei is coming to rescue his prince. Just like a knight in shining armor!" Akira cooed as he began to watch a football game.

"You're such an ass man. Is putting down others that fun to you?" Rei asked, maintaining his cool.

"Shut up Rei, and start learning how to handle your bitch Hideaki," Akira sneered. "Award winner, my ass," he sneered a few moments later.

Hideaki left the room without a word, Rei watching as he left.

"You're such a jerk-off," Rei said before following suit.

Akira merely snickered in response and returned to his game.

"Hey, you all right," Rei asked from outside Hideaki's cell.

"Just fine, thanks for asking," he replied politely as he laid on his cot, staring at the ceiling.

"No problem. Don't let what Akira said bother you, he doesn't mean half of what he says," Rei told him.

"I wasn't offended," he replied in a monotonous voice, never moving his strong gaze from the ceiling.

"Okay then, I'll see you later," Rei replied as he headed for the showers.

He enjoyed his shower, it almost reminded him of when he was back home with his uncle, where he didn't have to share the shower with anyone. As the lukewarm water poured over his body he thought about Kira, and how peculiar she was. She looked so innocent, but as he learned the hard way, you could never judge people by the way they looked. She obviously seemed to be hiding something big.

Exactly what it was, he didn't know. He began to wonder about why he even cared. When looking at her he often had to force himself to remember that he was only going there to get community service hours. The warm water suddenly turning to cold shattered his thoughts, and he quickly shut off the pipes and reached for his towel.

Back in his room he dug underneath his cot and into his black canvas knapsack. That was all he came with when he was brought here. His uncle brought him the rest of his clothes a week after he'd been sent there. Inside his knapsack was where he kept the things that meant the most to him.

He emptied out the contents onto his bed, shifting through them as he went. He smiled faintly as his fingers traced the photograph of himself and his twin brother Sei as children. Then he lifted the gold medal he earned in the youth motor cross race in California. It made him wonder what his life would have been like had he stayed there. He then came across the polaroid of his girlfriend. His heart froze over. Rei studied her features, her long blonde hair, button nose, pale face, striking blue eyes, and long and thin neck. He wondered what it was that made him fall in love with her to begin with. Although she was very pretty, she wasn't smart, witty, and her personality was bland. All she cared about was shopping and her appearance. He disliked her, but still missed her visits. She was always happy and bubbly, worrying about him, or gossiping about the people in the old neighborhood. Rei smiled faintly before pushing all his memories into his book bag, and drifting off to sleep.