Mega Man Fan Fiction ❯ Mega Man X: The New Mavericks - Arc 1: Outbreak ❯ Notification ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All Mega Man X characters appearing or mentioned in this story are the property of CAPCOM. I only own the new characters I am introducing in this and future story arcs.
 
 
“Dr. Kiloh? There's a message for you from Dr. Dien.” The senior assistant's footsteps preceded her voice by mere seconds as she entered the lab her superior worked in. “He is requesting a response as soon as possible.”
 
The figure seated at the desk in front of her didn't move, she noted with a mixture of disgust and admiration. A part of her wished she could exercise that same level of restraint, yet there was something unsettling about it at the same time. It was almost like watching a machine working.
 
After a few moments, the slightly grizzled head lifted, and a hand beckoned her closer. “Sorry, Molli.” He apologized. “I was focused on this experiment. If I can get it right, the results will provide a much-needed boost in the virus protection for reploids.”
 
Molli nodded, expressing her understanding with that singular gesture. “No need to apologize, Dr. Kiloh.” She replied. “I know how important your research is. Had I not been told how important this was, I would not have interrupted your work.”
 
He gave her a reassuring smile as he pushed his chair away from the desk. “Maybe I needed a break, anyway.” He said as he stood up, walking slowly around the desk. “So, what does my colleague have to say?”
 
Molli handed him the disk containing the data that was sent by Dr. Dien. “I don't know, Doctor.” she answered. “All he would tell me was that he needed to get in touch with you as soon as possible. Oh, he did mention something about a hypothesis being correct, but…” She paused as she saw the beginnings of a frown creasing his face. “Doctor.?” she ventured carefully.
 
Kiloh shook his head. “Don't worry yourself about it, Molli. Just go back to your work.” Gently, he patted her shoulder. “Once I speak with Dr. Dien about this, I'll tell you more if I am able to.”
 
She still seemed confused about everything that was going on, but that didn't keep her from nodding her understanding. She figured her employer needed time alone to think, so there were no second thoughts as she stepped out of the room. Once the door closed behind her, Kiloh removed the disk from its case and inserted it into the computer at his elbow. “Oh, Jona.” He sighed softly as he waited for the data to load. “What have you found? What could you have possibly discovered that would concern me?”
 
A small beep from the computer told him that the data upload was complete. Slowly, he scrolled through the numerous pages of data, their numbers and letters glowing eerily against the black screen. To an untrained eye, the charts and reports would come across as gibberish, too difficult to decipher without hours of reading and tons of reference material. As his eyes scanned the data, his frown only deepened in a mixture of puzzlement and disbelief. Human Immunology had never been his specialty; human systems seemed too simplistic compared to the intricate beauty of reploids' systems. The issues that affected reploids called to him more than those affecting humans, especially since the number of scientists researching reploid Immunology were few. Dien, his colleague and friend, had always been the human specialist of the two of them, and had been from the day they met.
 
And that was precisely what bothered Kiloh about the data he was seeing. Why was it that the data sent to him by his friend, the Doctor of Human Immunology, looked so similar to that regularly seen by him, the Doctor of Reploid Immunology?
 
Whatever the reason, he was determined to get to the bottom of it. Turning to his right, he activated the communications monitor, pressing the sequence of buttons that he knew would directly connect him with Dien. It was chancy, especially knowing the tendency a certain someone in his lab had for monitoring incoming and outgoing communication, but it was a chance he was willing to take. He considered upping the encryption level of his message, but decided against it. Even if she did manage to eavesdrop, he doubted it would do much more than confuse her horribly; he figured it might even teach her a lesson about listening in on conversations one shouldn't be privy to.
 
He didn't have long to wait, within moments the connection was established, and all thoughts of his little spy were pushed aside as he saw the face of his old friend and colleague. “I'll dispense with the pleasantries, Jona.” He began. “As I'm sure you know what this is all about.”
 
Seeing Dien's nod, Kiloh continued. “Jona, what the hell is going on?” he asked sourly. “What is this data you sent me?”
 
“Nice to see you too, Nage.” Dien replied coolly, visibly unruffled by the outburst. “Glad I've been so missed that I'm bombarded with abrasive questions as soon as I'm connected to you. As for the data, what does it look like to you?”
 
Kiloh raised an eyebrow. If he's trying to make a fool out of me… He thought to himself. “What does it look like? It looks like data I see every day.” He replied. “Data I've come across as I've researched various viral outbreaks among reploids over the years. Jona, is this a joke?”
 
Dien shook his head gravely, his prior joviality fading. “I wish it were, Nage.” He answered. “But it isn't. That data I sent you is from research I've been conducting over the past six months. Research on human subjects who were brought to me or came to me willingly.”
 
“Six months…that's when some mystery illness began showing up in the human population, isn't it?”
 
“Exactly. Being the leading human Immunology researcher in this area, I have been the one whom both victims and reports have been brought to. Nage, the data I sent to you tracked rates of infection and death in my studies. And it isn't getting any better. I just received word that three of my research subjects died yesterday from this `illness', and there are ten new cases that were just reported to me this morning. Had I not thought it important, I wouldn't have sent you the data, nor would I have requested you contact me immediately after receiving it.”
 
It was on the tip of his tongue to ask what a virus spreading among the human populace had to do with his research, but then it dawned on him what Dien was saying. The virus was behaving exactly the same way that the various Maverick viruses behaved in reploids. Why had it taken Dien's explanation to make him see that?
 
“I see.” At least I do now. “My question now is what we should do about it?” Kiloh finally responded, his uncertainty over how to handle the revelation showing in his voice.
 
“I think I have an answer for that too, Nage. I will be traveling to Cain Labs this afternoon, to show my research to the scientists there. If you could meet me there, maybe we could all work together for a day or two and come up with a plan to counteract the infection.”
 
Kiloh smiled. “Excellent idea, old friend.” He answered. “If anyone would have the technology and know-how to figure out what to do, it would be the researchers at Cain Labs. I'll make arrangements to be there by tonight.”
 
“Glad to hear it, Nage. See you there.” The monitor faded off silently, and Kiloh was left to the sterile solitude of his lab. A thousand thoughts swirled in his head as he sat back in his chair, and most of them were negative. He finally had to take them in hand mentally and quell them, lest the incessant buzz between his ears distract his focus.
 
He had turned his chair away from the monitor and was starting to rise from it when he heard a familiar female voice over the communicator's audio speaker.
 
“Dr. Kiloh? Dr. Kiloh, come in.”
 
“How did I know…?” he asked himself quietly as he turned back to the monitor. Flipping a switch, it reactivated, revealing the face that the voice originated from. “Ah, Trysta. I hadn't expected to hear from you.” He said. “What can I do for you?”
 
Trysta smirked noticeably. “Cut the evasion, Dr. Kiloh.” She retorted. “I know what you're up to. I listened in on your exchange with Dr. Dien while I was monitoring things from here in the Security station, and figured I would offer my assistance to you once again.”
 
He shook his head. “No, that will not be necessary this time, Trysta.” He replied, holding up a hand to stifle the protests he knew would be forthcoming. “I'll only be away for a day or two at most, so you'll likely be more useful making sure things keep running smoothly in my absence.”
 
“But Doctor…”
 
“No! Think about what you just overheard.” Kiloh interrupted. Damn it, why was she always so obstinate? “This is a dangerous matter, Trysta. One that requires absolute secrecy until we know what is behind it. If we are not careful, it could prove disastrous for both reploids and humans. It might even be enough to give humans a `cause' over which to declare war on reploids.” He hoped that this approach would persuade her to drop the issue. Being privy to information was one thing, being privy to such sensitive and potentially damaging information was another matter completely. In his heart, he knew that that outcome would be exactly what happened if word were to spread about a virus attacking humans that was similar to the one endured by reploids.
 
Intelligent blue eyes narrowed in contemplation as she thought about his words. “Very well, Dr. Kiloh.” She finally said after a minute of silence. “I will remain here and make sure things don't fall apart while you're away. I don't like you traveling without me, but I will respect your orders.”
 
He nodded, thankful that she was acting sensible at last. “I'm grateful for your cooperation, Trysta.” He replied. “Just remember, right now the only ones who know of this are the two of us, Dr. Dien, and the researchers over at Cain. Until we know more, and decide on a cohesive plan of action, the information you overheard is not to be shared with others. Am I clear?”
 
“Perfectly, Doctor. Now, I'll leave you to your work. I'm sure you have much to do before you leave.” The monitor clicked off again before he could reply. Shaking his head at the nature of the girl, Kiloh once again sat back in his chair and stared up at the ceiling. Mentally, he ran down a checklist of everything he would need for his trip, and once satisfied, he stood up and exited the lab.
 
There was a great deal yet to do before his departure, and precious little time in which to accomplish it all.