Mega Man Fan Fiction ❯ Mega Man X: The New Mavericks - Arc 1: Outbreak ❯ Introductions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
“I'll tell you two. Dr. Kiloh sure keeps a nice place.” X said as the three Hunters walked down one of the utilitarian halls within Obsidian Labs. They had been asked to meet him in the lab's common room so that they might meet a few of the other residents, an invitation they accepted out of courtesy for their host.
 
Axl nodded. “I'll say he does.” He replied. “It may be a smaller lab than most, but it seems he maintains it well. He must be very proud of it.”
 
“I'm sure he is.” Zero added. “When I spoke with him during the trip here, he seemed relieved to be returning. I would say he misses this place very much when he is away from it.”
 
The three paused in a hallway junction to get their bearings before continuing on. It was difficult for them to believe they had already been out of hibernation for almost a full day. Upon arriving at the labs, they had been shown to rooms by one of the doctor's assistants. The rooms themselves were simple in design and decoration, but comfortable nonetheless. What Dr. Kiloh had said about clothing was true, as there were enough clothes in each room for them to each have a comfortable wardrobe asides from their armor.
 
In fact, the first thing they had done when left to their own devices was to change into normal clothes. Each of them had missed wearing regular human-style clothing during their long hibernation, and they couldn't pass up the chance to wear it again. It was strange, but they felt much more relaxed without the bulky armor covering them. Even Zero seemed a bit less edgy, seemed more open than he had only a few hours prior.
 
Soon, they approached an open doorway. “This is it.” Axl said. Quickening his stride, he began to walk through it, followed closely by Zero and X. Inside, Dr. Kiloh sat with Molli and a few others, both human and reploid. One of the female reploids turned to face them, and her gaze locked with Axl's.
 
He felt his footsteps slow until he was stopped in the doorway, his eyes locked on her soft gray ones. After a few moments that passed like minutes, she smiled. It was a slow, sweet gesture that he returned, adding on a wink. He watched her cheeks flush with a blush, and would have continued had he not felt the sharp prod in his ribs.
 
“As fascinating as it is to watch you at work here, loverboy, I'd really like to get in the door and find a place to sit.” Zero said in a low tone. Feeling his face redden with his embarrassment, Axl moved further into the room, letting the other two enter as well. X gave Axl a wink as he sat down near the doctor, while Zero observed them from a nearby corner. Shaking his head, Axl sat himself next to the pretty reploid who had attracted his attention. As he did, she gave him a sidelong glance, then averted her gaze back to her hands where they were folded in her lap, a blush tingeing her cheeks again.
 
Kiloh chuckled softly. “So, Axl. It seems you're already quite taken with our little Nami, are you?” he asked gently. As Axl felt his face light up with another blush, Kiloh laughed. “Don't worry. All you have to do is pass muster with her adoptive `brother' Dax, and you should be fine.”
 
“Dax?” Axl managed to squeak out. His face went from flushed to pale in record time as his eyes darted about the small room.
 
“That would be me right back here, kiddo.” A voice behind him stated coolly. Axl turned in his seat, gaping as he saw the large, intimidating-looking reploid leaning against the wall behind him. He hadn't thought his face could get any paler until that moment, but as he looked over Nami's “brother”, he knew he had been wrong. Everything about the guy looked frightening; from the armor plating that peeked from beneath his human clothing to the large gun that hung on his belt, nearly touching the ground.
 
Nami laughed softly as she saw Axl's face. “Don't worry, Axl.” She said softly. “He looks intimidating, but he really isn't unless someone attempts to hurt anyone here. He's turned semi-pacifistic, mainly doing security and guard duties around the lab.”
 
Axl swallowed hard. “Oh, is t…that right, Nami?” he asked uneasily. “Well, that's…that's just great. I mean, i…if he's really happy with it and all…”
 
Hoping to divert attention from a babbling, stammering Axl, Kiloh stood again. “So you've met Nami and Dax.” He continued. “Over here, sitting next to X, is another of our lab assistant reploids. This is Rei.”
 
Rei gave X a shy smile, extending her hand for him to shake. “I…I'm pleased to meet you, X.” She said quietly, a tiny lisp further softening her voice. In spite of himself, X felt himself blush slightly as he took her delicate hand in his.
 
 
 
Kiloh scanned the room with his eyes, a slight frown marring the normally calm features. While he was glad the Hunters were settling in well, and glad they had met a few of his other reploids, he was beginning to wonder what was taking their final guest so long to arrive.
 
“Molli.” He said simply, leaning over to whisper his question to her. “You did remember to ask her to join us, didn't you?”
 
Molli nodded. “I did, yes.” She replied. “Knowing her, she probably felt there was work she needed to do before she arrived. You know how seriously she takes her duties…”
 
“Duties I never even assigned her to in the first place.” Kiloh answered grumpily. “She took them on herself, for reasons I couldn't fathom then and still can't.” He let out a heavy sigh. “I just wish that for once, she would act more like a young woman her age, and less like a robot.”
 
“I know Doctor.” Molli gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “I know. But don't worry. I'm sure she'll show up very soon.”
 
 
As she walked through the hall leading to the common room, Trysta Seryn rolled her eyes, tugging the bottom edge of her shirt into place. She hated these meet-and-greets her guardian always asked her to join, hated how they cut into time she could better spend training or monitoring things from the security station. The boots of her heels clicked on the tile floor as she approached the door, eyes narrowed in their usual icy, observing manner. Touching the keypad with her left hand, the door slid open silently; and as she walked in, she noted with a smirk that any conversations that had been taking place before her coming had ceased upon her arrival. Coldly, she surveyed the occupants of the room, her gaze studying each of the three newcomers before moving on.
 
With Nami falling silent under the newcomer's glare, Axl retreated to stand near Zero's seat, and they were soon joined by X. “Wow, who is she?” Axl asked.
 
X shrugged. “Don't know. But whoever she is, she makes quite the entrance, doesn't she?”
 
“If by `entrance', you're referring to her manner of staring everyone down while casting her glare around the room, then yes, I agree.” Zero interjected, folding his arms across his chest. “I'm thinking more along the lines of her silently bullying everyone around her into submission.”
 
Even as they added their agreement, X and Axl couldn't help but join Zero as he watched the new girl walk about the room. He focused his attention on her, observing every detail of her, from her outfit of a blue cut-off tank top with a white collar paired with black pants and boots, to the icy demeanor she showed as she regarded everyone around her. He was surprised when he saw her icy glare thaw briefly as she regarded the other three reploids; he even could have sworn he saw her smile at them, though it was a small one that only touched her lips and not her eyes.
 
Finally, as though sensing she was being watched, she straightened her back, and spun slowly to face Zero. Chill sapphire eyes, framed by red strands of hair, locked with equally chill emerald ones, and they held each other's gazes for several moments. He could read a lot by that gaze, could see her disdain, her sense of superiority. He watched the slow smirk slide across her lips, matching the disdain present in her eyes.
 
As though sensing trouble was brewing, Kiloh stepped in to diffuse the situation. “Ah, Trysta. I'm glad to see you finally made it.” He said cheerfully. “Molli and I were wondering if you would desire to grace us with your presence.”
 
She still wore her smirk, but she broke off her gaze from Zero's. “I was debating that very thing myself, Dr. Kiloh.” She answered. “After all, there are so many other things I must do to keep things running around here.”
 
“What could she possibly have to do that's so important?” Axl whispered to X. “Get a manicure?”
 
“Yes, I realize you're busy, Trysta, but come now. A young lady like you should allow herself time to relax and enjoy things.” Kiloh protested. “Besides, there are three reploids I must introduce you to.”
 
She made a disgusted face. “New reploids, Doctor?” she asked snidely. “Aren't the ones you have enough? Why do you need more?”
 
Kiloh cleared his throat. “Because of the scenario we discussed before my trip to Cain Labs, Trysta.” He answered. “Besides, these are not ordinary reploids. These three are the legendary Maverick Hunters.”
 
Gently, he led her to stand a bit closer to the trio, releasing her immediately as though his hand would freeze to her shoulder if it lingered for too long. “Trysta, meet the S Class Maverick Hunters X, Axl, and Zero. Hunters, this is Trysta Seryn, my self-appointed head of Security.”
 
Trysta regarded them in her usual cold manner. Her gaze focused on each of them, lingered for a moment, the moved on to the next. She finished with Zero, her eyes narrowing noticeably as they remained fixed on him for some time.
 
Then she did something no one expected. She began to laugh. It was a nasty, brittle laugh, meant to convey disdain as opposed to humor. “These three are Hunters?” she asked nastily. “Dr. Kiloh, they don't look like they could hunt for water when it rains.” She smirked as she renewed her gaze at Zero. “This one here especially looks incompetent.” She continued. “After all, how can a male reploid that looks more girly than I do possibly be of any use?”
 
Zero shot up from his seat, rage burning in his eyes. His hands reached for his absent Z-saber, itching to activate it and use it to silence her cruel talk. He had no weapons with him, having left them with his armor, and thus he was left powerless to do anything more than listen to her mockery.
 
She had moved on to Axl, however, and her mockingly snide language continued. “How could you trust someone with that kind of scar to be useful?” she asked coldly. “What happened, Axl? Dodge that last hit a bit too slowly?” Zero could see his friend's face blanch as she laughed icily at him, and he felt the renewed longing for his saber, that he might be able to shut her up.
 
Her eyes narrowed further as she looked upon X. “What's the matter, little one?” she mocked. “Afraid to talk to me? Or are you always mute and relying on your girly, incompetent friends to talk for you?”
 
“Trysta!” Belatedly, Kiloh stepped between them. “That is quite enough!”
 
She regarded him with a raised eyebrow. “Oh, you're quite mistaken, Dr. Kiloh.” She purred coolly. `I've only just begun with these three. But I suppose I am finished for now. You see, unlike them, I actually have things I must do, things that take precedence over standing around in the common room and chatting the day away.”
 
She pulled away from Kiloh, leaving the three Hunters with one last icy glare as her farewell. Then she walked back to the door and activated the panel to open it. Once she had stepped through, it closed behind her, though the clicking of her heels could still be heard faintly through the door as she walked away.
 
 
Kiloh and Molli shared a look. “That didn't go very well, did it?” Molli asked.
 
“Actually, that's the nicest I've seen Trysta be when she's introduced to strangers.” Kiloh corrected. “I've seen her act even crueler if she feels justified in doing so.”
 
`It still doesn't excuse anything that just went on.” Molli protested. “Honestly, Doctor, you're her guardian, why don't you try to rein her in some? I worry she'll say the wrong thing to someone one day, then you and she both will be in trouble.”
 
He sighed. “I wish it were that easy, Molli. But she refuses to be swayed or influenced by anyone, let alone me.” He explained. “Still, you're right. I shouldn't make her feel she's being encouraged to behave this way toward everyone.” He cast a glance over at the trio of Hunters where they remained after their introduction to his ward. “I should apologize to them for that.”
 
Smiling as he saw Molli's affirming nod, Kiloh made his way over to where they stood. “I apologize for what just happened.” He began. “I wish I could say Trysta isn't normally like that, and that she'll change once she warms up to you, but I have my doubts that that will occur.”
 
X still wore an expression that could be likened to severe shock. “Sorry for asking, Doctor, but what exactly is her problem?” He asked. “I mean, we gave her no reason whatsoever to attack us the way she did…”
 
Kiloh sighed. “It's because you're strangers and you're reploids.” He said simply. “She has a severe distrust and disliking of strangers, at least until they prove themselves to her. Doubly so if the strangers happen to be reploids for some reason.”
 
“Prove ourselves?” Zero protested. “We haven't done anything to her, yet she takes it upon herself to insult and attack us. We came here to help you, but she insists on `testing' us in order to grant us a meager amount of respect, from what you just told us. This isn't some kind of game.”
 
Removing his glasses, Kiloh pinched the bridge of his nose before replacing them. “You wouldn't be the first to say that about her response to you, Zero.” He replied. “Nor will you be the last, I'm afraid. She hides herself so deeply within that icy shell of hers that I'd be surprised if she even knows herself anymore.”
 
Axl shrugged, his arms folded across his chest. “Well, I suppose if we give her a wide berth, she'll have enough of a reason to leave us alone.” He suggested. “If we can do that until we're sent off on our next mission, we might be able to avoid trouble with her.”
 
X nodded. “Good idea, Axl.” He replied. “We don't need someone like her dragging us down.”
 
Kiloh nodded his understanding. “Glad to know you aren't letting her attitude affect you.” He replied. Looking back at Molli, he saw her waving him back over to her, and figured it was a good time to excuse himself from the Hunters. “Excuse me, I'm afraid my assistant has some things she wishes to discuss with me.” he apologized. “In spite of Trysta's behavior, I do hope you enjoy staying here with us.”
 
As he watched the scientist's retreating back, Zero narrowed his eyes darkly for a moment. “I would rather spit in her face than give her any reason to respect me.” He muttered under his breath.
 
 
Molli smiled as Kiloh rejoined her. “Seems you've managed to smooth out some ruffled feathers, Doctor.” She observed admiringly. “Very nicely handled if I may say so myself.”
 
He returned her smile. “Thank you, Molli.” He replied. “It's a necessary part of being a scientist, knowing how to be a good diplomat. I only hope it was enough to placate them, if only for now.”
 
She shrugged. “It might be. For what it's worth, even if it isn't, they might help knock that girl down a few pegs.” She said as she took a drink from the cup she held in her left hand. “We both know she could use that.”
 
“What do you mean by that, Molli?”
 
“Oh, you know what I mean, Doctor. Hopefully, they'll teach her that she isn't the greatest thing in this world, teach her that having a little humility isn't really such a terrible thing.” She cast another look at the three reploids before continuing. “The blond one, Zero, might be an especially interesting challenge for her.”
 
“Yes, he might be at that.” Kiloh mused. “When they were first awakened, I observed him very closely, watched his habits and demeanor. As I did, I had to tell myself to make sure he and Trysta never got into a fight, lest she wind up on the losing end of it. It seems my observations have turned out to be rather accurate. Those two will likely butt heads numerous times before everything is said and done.”
 
Molli nodded her agreement. “I'm sure they will as well, Doctor.” She answered. “And it could be interesting when the dust settles. I guess we'll see who emerges the victor in the end.”
 
 
Trysta slapped her palm against the wall panel, closing the door to her room behind her with a soft thud. She crossed the room and flopped onto her bed, trying to simultaneously forget and remember the events that had just occurred. She knew going to that gathering was a mistake, and now she was kicking herself mentally for ignoring her gut.
 
Still, she knew that that wasn't the only reason for her current bout of self-loathing. It was also meeting those three damned reploids. The younger-appearing two didn't seem so bad, though the one with the scarred face was good for a few laughs. She found it especially funny how the quiet one looked so pale and frightened when she spoke to him, like he expected her to pull a gun on him and put a bullet through his head.
 
But the blond one -Zero, her guardian had said was his name- he was a different matter altogether. She'd be fooling herself if she didn't admit that she felt the light tingle of a spark around her heart as she locked gazes with him for those few moments. That reaction from her system, however involuntary it was, frightened the hell out of her. In all her years living as Dr. Kiloh's ward, no one had ever made her feel like that on a first meeting. And she wasn't about to let it become a habit.
 
She swallowed hard, dispelling the memory by remembering her mocking words. Yes, they were cruel. She wasn't deluded enough to not know when things she had said were cruelly mocking and when they weren't. It had been a reaction to her feelings; he had unsettled her so much that she felt a need to retreat and cover the new vulnerability she perceived in herself.
 
Yes, allowing her guardian to talk her into that meeting was a bad idea. It had shaken her confidence significantly, and there was little that could restore it outside of a bout of sparring in her training room…
 
A slow smile crept over her lips. Sitting up, she quickly changed clothes; wearing her usual practice gear instead of her everyday clothing made for longer-lasting clothes, after all. She stopped only long enough to pick up her pistols and practice swords before pressing the panel to open the door again.
 
As she stepped into the hall leading to the training room, she took the time to adjust her pistols to “Stun”. She was always cautious when using live weapons during training, lest someone wind up dead on her watch. She prided herself on how safe she kept her room, insisting others follow the same rules that she imposed on herself. Anyone who didn't would not be permitted to use the room.
 
Her eyes had returned to their usual icy hue, while the smile she wore grew even chillier. This was going to be fun. She just knew it.