Mega Man Fan Fiction ❯ Mega Man X: The New Mavericks - Arc 1: Outbreak ❯ Enigmas ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Thanks for walking with us, guys.” Nami smiled sweetly as she wove her arm through Axl's, much to his surprise. Noticing the slight reddish hue his cheeks started to show, she let out a soft giggle and tugged gently on his arm, pulling him a short distance away from where Rei and X stood and watched them.
 
X grinned as he watched. It had been two days since the four of them had last met in the training rooms, and he and Axl both were surprised when Nami asked them to join Rei and herself for a walk about the lab grounds. After extending an invitation to Zero -which was promptly declined- X and Axl met their “dates” in the lab's entry hall.
 
They had been walking now for only an hour or two at most, but X had to admit, he was enjoying the time. He was sure Axl was as well, though the blush and semi-enigmatic smile his friend wore made it difficult to know for sure.
 
“Yes, thank you.” Rei added quietly. “Walking with Dax everywhere tends to be so monotonous. Not that he's boring, by any stretch. He's just so difficult for us to relate to.”
 
“Hey, think nothing of it, ladies.” Axl replied, trying to ignore the redness that had seeped into his face. “We'll do anything if it gets us away from Zero for a while.”
 
“Zero?” Rei looked at X, an eyebrow raised in question. “He's your friend, right? So why do you want to get away from him?”
 
He shook his head. “It isn't that we want to get away from him.” He answered reassuringly. “It isn't that at all. Zero…well, he can be difficult to get along with sometimes. He tends to brood a bit over things that bother him, and being in his company at those times can drag someone down a bit.”
 
“Kind of like how hanging around with Trysta tends to drag the two of us down sometimes, huh X?” Nami chimed in.
 
“Nami!” Rei scolded gently. Though she secretly agreed with her on this, she wasn't about to admit it. “You know it's impolite to talk about someone when they aren't here to defend themselves.” She continued.
 
“But it's true! From the sounds of it, if we had Trysta and Zero compete in a contest to see who was more of a `downer', I think they would be tied.” Nami replied.
 
Rolling her eyes, Rei turned back to X. “Never mind her.” She apologized. “She's been like that ever since we were created.”
 
X smiled. “So you've known each other since you were created?” he asked, hoping to divert attention away from Nami.
 
Rei nodded. “Yes. We were created at the same lab at nearly the same time.” She answered. “When we first met shortly after our respective creations, we felt so bonded to one another that we couldn't bear to be apart; which is why it was a good thing we were both created for Dr. Kiloh.”
 
Axl looked at Nami, then over at Rei, his expression curious as he listened to her story. “So, you're sisters?” he asked carefully as he shifted his attention back to Nami. “I didn't think you looked alike enough.”
 
Nami gently swatted his shoulder. “We're only `sisters' in name, Axl.” She explained, amusement showing in her gray eyes. “We call ourselves `sisters' because we're so bonded to one another. It isn't that we were created from the same schematics, or even the same personality data, but the fact that we've grown so close to one another.”
 
“So I see.” Axl replied. “So I see.”
 
The four of them stood in silence for a few moments before X felt compelled to speak again. There had been a question that was bothering him, and he figured one of the two girls might know.
 
“I've been wondering…what is it that Trysta does around here, exactly?” he asked. “I know Dr. Kiloh introduced her as his self-appointed Security head, but does she do anything besides that?”
 
Rei shrugged. “She does whatever she chooses to.” She answered simply. “We certainly don't have any control over that.”
 
Nami shook her head. “She chooses to do whatever job she feels she should be doing.” She added. “And more often than not, she does a damned good job at what she does. As Security head, she's done so much work revamping and improving the systems in the past year that I would be amazed if anyone attempted to gain unauthorized access.”
 
“So she's only been here for a year…”
 
“Oh no, X.” Nami interrupted. “She's been here much longer than that. Neither of us knows exactly how long, as she was already here when we first arrived. But I have heard that she's lived here since she was a child.”
 
“If that is true, then it presents a bit of a puzzle.” Rei interjected. “As Dr. Kiloh does not have any biological children. His wife died many years ago during a Maverick attack, and to our knowledge, he has not remarried or even considered remarriage since.”
 
Nami nodded. “The only way to know for certain about Trysta's background would be to access whatever data files about her exist here at Obsidian. There are a few files, however, she has had access to them blocked to everyone outside of herself.”
 
“So, she would rather that no one learn about her background, huh?” Axl asked. “Well, X, if it were anyone else in the world, that would be something to be concerned with. Since it's Trysta, then it seems rather fitting for her, doesn't it?”
 
“Can't really argue there, Axl.” X agreed. “But can we change topics now? I for one would prefer not talking about our strange and enigmatic friends any more.”
 
**********
 
Trysta sat back in her chair, silently priding herself for a rare moment of restraint. While monitoring the security feeds, she had come across Nami and Rei as they walked with Axl and X. A fleeting moment of protectiveness had her left hand reaching for the audio monitoring controls, that she could hear the exchanges occurring between the two pairs. Her fingertips were just grazing the buttons when she tensed her arm, deliberately pulling it away from the panel and dropping it into her lap like an unruly tree branch. As she praised herself for that bit of restraint, she leaned back in her chair, staring up at the ceiling in the hopes of clearing her mind.
 
“Nice to see you actually hold back on something, Trys.” Dax's voice from the doorway of the security room caused her to spin her chair to face him. He leaned against the frame casually, hair slightly mussed and eyes keen as he watched her. “I was worried I'd have to revert to being a combat reploid before you would restrain yourself in any manner.”
 
“Just as it's always nice when you come by to see me, Dax.” Trysta retorted sarcastically, swiveling her chair to face him. Propping her right elbow on the chair arm, she rested her chin on her hand, her lower lip pouting in that manner he had always found obnoxiously cute. “With such sweet sentiments as those, you should stop by here more often.”
 
He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Damn, but she could be annoying at times! “Maybe I will, if only to keep a better eye on you.” He took a few steps into the security room, leaning against a nearby console casually. “After all, if you won't take care of yourself, someone has to.”
 
A slim eyebrow cocked over a crystalline blue glare. “I'm not a child, Dax.” She spat back. “I haven't been a child for as long as I've been here. I don't need someone to babysit me, nor anyone to take care of me. That's what I have myself for, got it?”
 
Dax held up a hand. “Yes, I heard it all a long time ago, Trys.” He answered in a bored tone. “And I got it around the same time. It still doesn't change what I think, however. You're afraid to let yourself seem vulnerable, so you act tough and nasty to protect yourself…”
 
“Spare me the psychoanalysis, Dax.” She hissed acidly. “I've heard it all before. I didn't buy that tripe back when I was first hearing it, and I'm sure as hell not buying it now. The only person I need in this world to take care of me is me, and don't ever forget that.”
 
Dax knew arguing with her was pointless; yet that didn't stop him from opening his mouth to respond to her statements. He knew she was wrong, and he suspected she knew the same in spite of her denials. She was just far too stubborn to admit she needed anyone else in her life. After what she had been through, he couldn't completely blame her, yet he couldn't help but resent her for continuing to dwell on things she had no control over.
 
Before any sound could escape from his mouth, however, the pulsing beep of the security room's call signal interrupted them. He closed his mouth grimly; someone was contacting the lab, the argument would have to wait. It seemed to happen this way every time he tried to have a serious talk with her. Something would come up -a call maybe, or someone with a task for him- and it ended up in the exact same way every time. He was left frustrated, wondering if he would ever have the chance to try and get through to her.
 
Trysta seemed to think the same thing. She waved her hand dismissively as she turned back to face the main security console. “You should get going, Dax.” She remarked absently, seeming to distance herself mentally from him. “I have things to finish here, and I'm sure Dr. Kiloh has things he needs your assistance with.”
 
He sighed, finally surrendering. She may not have planned them intentionally, but the timing of these interruptions always made him feel like she was trying to get rid of him when he was trying to have a serious talk with her. “You would be right, Trysta.” He replied. “I do have some tasks to accomplish for Dr. Kiloh. I guess we'll continue this discussion next time, whenever that happens to be.” Absently, he sent a half-hearted wave in her general direction, figuring she would never see it, before turning and exiting the room.
 
 
 
Dax's exit left Trysta alone with the humming of machinery echoing around her. She felt a twinge in her chest as she recalled his words, her eyes misting with smarting tears. Ever since she was a child, she had gone through life on her own terms and for her own reasons. She never allowed her head to be turned, never allowed her mind to be twisted by words, and thus was able to grow up without many of the problems she knew befell her peers. Yet the price she paid was the aching loneliness she felt from time to time, loneliness that pierced her heart even as she denied its significance.
 
Briskly, she shook her head. Now wasn't the time for this. Her hands flew over the control panel before her, activating the viewscreen on the opposite wall. “You are now connected.” She spoke into the microphone of the earpiece she wore. “This is Trysta Seryn with Obsidian Labs. What is the purpose for this contact?”
 
“Ah, Trysta.” The face of Dr. Dien appeared on the screen, his warm voice coaxing a small smile from her. “I'm glad to see you are well, and working as hard as ever.”
 
“Dr. Dien.” Trysta replied simply. “I hope things are well at Azure. How is Felicia?”
 
“You ask me about her every time I contact you.” Dien's tone was suffused with a chuckle. “She is as well as the last time you inquired about her a few days ago.”
 
“Well…” Trysta was at a loss for words, and felt an embarrassed blush tinge her face. She hadn't realized her sibling's guardian would take notice of her constant inquiries with such bemusement. “I…I guess just being apart from her makes me a bit concerned for her.” She stammered, starting to slouch a bit lower in her seat in her embarrassment. “After all, I see her so rarely…”
 
“No need to explain, Trysta.” Dien interrupted her. “It's completely understandable for you to be concerned. But there isn't time for that at this time. I need you to do something very important for me.”
 
Trysta perked up instantly. “What is it, Dr. Dien?” she asked. “I'll make sure to have it done at once.”
 
“I know you will. Now listen carefully. I'm currently sending you a highly encrypted transmission. It's data I've gleaned from surveillance reports that's intended for Dr. Kiloh to examine. I need you to decrypt it, then open a line of communication between Nage and myself.”
 
Trysta nodded, flipping a few switches on the panel. “Decrypting as we speak, Dr. Dien.” She responded blankly, her attention focused on her task. “Communication will be opened as soon as I can confirm Dr. Kiloh's location.”
 
As she worked to decrypt the data she had received, her left hand stealthily slid beneath the edge of the panel. Her fingertips sought, then found, a small blue button, which they quickly pressed before returning to the panel and resuming their work.
 
“All right, contact is established. Stand by, Dr. Dien, while I confirm.” With an agreeing nod from him, she turned to the small monitor at her elbow. “Dr. Kiloh, am I coming in clear?” she asked.
 
Dr. Kiloh's image flickered onto the monitor. “You are, Trysta.” He replied. “I hope your interruption is for an important reason, as I am quite busy at the moment.”
 
She nodded. “It is. Dr. Dien wishes to speak with you.”
 
“Jona? Did he say what he needed?”
 
“No, but he did send along some data for you to analyze. I'm transmitting it to you as we speak.”
 
Kiloh turned from the screen, his brow wrinkling as he checked the computer sitting next to him. Finally, after several moments, he turned back. “Well done, Trysta. Patch him through.” He said. “And no eavesdropping this time.”
 
Trysta prayed he couldn't see her crossed fingers where they dangled off the arm of the chair. “I wouldn't dream of it, Doctor.” she replied coolly.