Mega Man Fan Fiction ❯ Mega Man X: The New Mavericks - Arc 1: Outbreak ❯ Chapter 7: Blackmail ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kiloh rolled his eyes toward the ceiling. His earlier hope had indeed been a foolish one; for she had not only found out what was going on, she had taken steps to interfere with the debriefing. Such interference when time was already of the essence angered him; if her reasons for interrupting were selfish, there would be hell to pay. He would personally see to it.
 
For now, all he could do was indulge her. He moved his left hand until it found the switch on the armrest of his chair to activate the large viewscreen on the opposite wall. Once he flipped it, the screen wasted no time in activating, revealing his obstinate ward sitting in her usual place in the Security room. Behind her, he could only just make out two figures in the background, figures he was certain were an unwilling Nami and Rei.
 
“What is the meaning of this, Trysta?” he asked, his tone clipped. “Why did you feel the need to interrupt something so important?”
 
She shrugged almost nonchalantly. “Call it boredom,” she answered simply, the fingers of her right hand toying idly with the collar of her coat. “I needed some way to occupy myself.”
 
“This isn't funny, Trysta.” Dax rose slowly to his feet, his hands in fists on the tabletop. “This isn't a game, or a joke…”
 
“Nor am I treating it as one,” she replied coolly, her gaze focusing on the tall reploid. “I'm simply exercising my right to interrupt if I feel it's necessary.”
 
From the seat on his left, Dax heard Zero let out a snort. “Oh, really?” Dax attempted to keep his tone neutral, in spite of his anger. “And what possible reason could you have for interrupting? What right could you possibly be exercising to break into something so important?”
 
“Simple, Dax. I intend on being part of this mission.” She lifted an eyebrow over a cold blue eye. “And furthermore, I insist that Rei and Nami be permitted to accompany me as I join you.”
 
What?” Dax pushed away from the table angrily. “Do you even know what you're asking, Trys?”
 
“Of course I do. Do you think I would be so stupid as to ask if I didn't know?” she replied icily.
 
“With you, it's difficult to tell sometimes.” He glared at her image as it appeared on the screen, with her returning his glare almost exactly. Dammit, why did she always choose the worst times to be obstinate?
 
X cast a look over at Dr. Kiloh, who sat with an unreadable look on his face. “Doctor…” he ventured. “Can she really do this?”
 
Kiloh sighed. “If she so wishes to, she can do just about anything as long as it involves the lab's systems somehow,” he answered. “I've tried everything I can think of, but she has this entire sector of the lab on level five lockdown.”
 
“Level five?” Dax's tone belied his disbelief. “Trysta, you know damn well that a level five lockdown is only to be used if the base is under direct threat. It's not to be used for this trivial crap!”
 
It's not trivial to me!” Her voice, amplified through the room's speakers, caused Dax to take a step back in shock. “This is as important to me as it is to all of you,” she continued, more quietly. “After all, last time I checked, I'm as human as those poor people who have been infected.”
 
Dax narrowed his eyes doubtfully. “I know you want to help, Trys. But none of you are strong enough…”
 
“Not strong enough to help, are we?” Trysta's tone held a sneer on its edge. “Is that what you were about to say? Well, let me tell you something, Dax. The three of us can be every bit as strong as you and those pathetic Hunters Dr. Kiloh had to bring back. If he had trusted me with this mission, I could have done it days ago! I'm every bit as good at fighting as you are. Hell, I even have nearly identical armor and equipment to yours, Dax! So I'm sure you damn well know I can fight just as well as you can.” Her eyes narrowed dangerously, sparks of blue fire spitting from them. “And I'll be damned if I let this pithy bunch upstage me. Not when I've been the best damn thing to happen to this lab…”
 
“Oh, don't start that `I'm superior' thing with me again, Trys.” Dax's voice held a similar sneer. “It isn't going to work. Besides, since you were so kind as to allow me to assist with lab security in the past, I know your access codes. All I have to do is type them into the console here in the room…”
 
“You so much as breathe on that console, and I'll proceed to delete every bit of your precious data.” Trysta's voice held an acidic edge. “I have a direct link to the data you're accessing. All it would take is my pressing a single key on my end and it's all gone for good.” She paused, that smug smirk returning to her face. “In addition, I have locked down all transport traffic, whether by teleporter or otherwise, and I have sealed all Armories in that section of the lab. There is no way you're leaving me out of this…”
 
“Enough, Trysta!” Kiloh snapped, causing her to fall uncharacteristically silent. “If you wish to help them so much, then I'll allow you three to join them.” He saw she was about to speak, and held up a hand to prevent her from interrupting. “But you must promise me that you won't cause this sort of trouble while you're on this mission. It's far too vital to risk failure due to a petty fight.”
 
“Of course, Dr. Kiloh. You have my word.” Before anyone could respond, the screen went black. A few moments later, the familiar hum of machinery told them that she had lifted the data lockdown, permitting them to view it once more.
 
“Now, then.” Kiloh cleared his throat. “Where were we when we were so rudely interrupted?”
 
 
As angry as she was, Trysta was amazed her voice had been as calm as it had been.
 
It was always a remarkable ability of hers, to be able to keep her voice almost icily calm even when she was angry enough to put a fist through the closest wall. It had helped her through many tense situations, and it would certainly come in handy now.
 
Her hands still gripped the arms of the chair tightly until her knuckles threatened to turn white. She couldn't believe she had had to take the measures she took! It didn't surprise her that she had to go as far as she did, but it still made her angry.
 
“Trysta?” Rei ventured carefully, knowing that saying the wrong thing could set her friend off again.
 
Nami wasn't nearly as careful. “Okay, Trys. You got your way,” she said curtly. “We're going with them. So now what are we going to do?”
 
Trysta raised an eyebrow. “What are we going to do?” she echoed, relaxing her tense grip on the chair arms. “We're going to prepare to leave, that's what we're going to do.” Standing up, she approached the security room's far wall, where a security panel sat in the midst of a trio of armor cylinders, their contents shielded heavily. Her fingers worked quickly to punch in the lengthy security code, a tight smile on her lips as the shields deactivated one by one. She had known for a long time that a day like this would come, and now her training, her preparation, and her patience had paid off. It was more than a mere dream to be a hero that drove her; it was also the desire to prove to herself how capable she truly was.
 
And yet there was still something more…
 
Nami noticed her hesitation, noted the blank stare her friend bored into the wall in front of her. “Trys?” she asked carefully, moving close enough to lay a hand on the other's shoulder. It wasn't like her to stare mindlessly at the wall ahead of her; something had to be bothering her.
 
Feeling the touch on her shoulder brought Trysta out of her trance. “I'm all right Nami,” she answered. “I just have a bad feeling about this mission, one that I'm sure would be twice as bad if we were to stay behind.”
 
“A bad feeling?” Rei asked curiously. Trysta might be overly paranoid and self-centered at times, but her feelings were rarely completely wrong. “What sort of bad feeling?”
 
“Nothing I can really place, to be honest. I just feel that something bad is going to happen to those Hunters if we aren't there to help.”
 
“Wow, you actually care what happens to them, Trys?” Nami interjected. “That's rather surprising, really. I figured you couldn't care less about them, seeing as how they're infringing on what you think should be your mission.”
 
Trysta resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Why shouldn't I be concerned? After all, if they fail, there's likely to be many more problems, for humans and Reploids alike.” She answered as she began to pull on her armor.
 
Nami hesitated briefly. “Well, when you put it that way,” she said as she began to don her own armor. “I do see your point there, and I admit I'm a bit concerned about this mission they're being sent on as well…”
 
“That's because you're so sweet on one of them,” Trysta teased. She laughed as she saw her friend's blush. “I'm right, aren't I? After all, from what I've seen, you're rather hung up on the one Hunter with the scar…Axl, right?”
 
“Trysta…” Rei cautioned her gently, even as she noted Nami's continued blush.
 
“Oh, please, Rei. It isn't as though you're any better,” Trysta picked up her visor, securing it over her eyes. “I've seen how you interact with X, so I know you're rather fond of him as well.”
 
“That may all be well and true, Trys,” Nami interjected as she finished adjusting her armor. “But I personally happen to think you'd make a decent match with Zero. Wouldn't you agree, Rei?”
 
Rei nodded. “As much as I hate to admit it, I could see it as well.” She admitted.
 
Him?” Trysta rolled her eyes behind her visor. “I'd just as soon smack him upside the head with the butt of one of my pistols than I would to pursue anything with him.” She picked up her pistols, securing them in the holsters strapped to her thighs. “Oh, I'll admit he has some charms, even if he does look more like a girl than I do. But I could never see myself in any sort of relationship with him, short of an adversarial or competitive one.”
 
Before either of the two reploids could respond, the comm panel at the security station beeped. “Trys? Are you three ready to go?” Dax's voice asked from the panel's speaker.
 
Trysta rolled her eyes to the ceiling before walking over to the panel. When her back was turned to them, Nami and Rei shared a knowing look. Quickly, Nami crossed the few feet that separated them, moving to stand by Rei's side. “I'm not much of a matchmaker,” she whispered when she drew close enough, “But I could see us having some fun getting her and Zero together. Wouldn't you agree?”
 
Rei hesitated for a moment. “If she found out what we were up to, she would be so angry with us,” she replied. “But I think it would be good to try. Why don't we see what Axl and X think?”
 
Nami smiled. “Good idea…” she began, quieting as soon as Trysta rejoined them.
 
Trysta's expression was its usual placid coldness, blue eyes narrowed determinedly. “Dax says they're ready whenever we are,” she said. “Are you two ready to get going?”
 
“We will be once we get our weapons,” Rei answered. The two quickly picked up their weapons -a pair of stun pistols for Rei, and an automatic rifle for Nami- before rejoining their friend.
 
“All right. Let's get going,” Nami said. “The longer we stand around here, the longer this mission's going to take. And I, for one, would prefer getting it done sooner rather than later.”
 
*****
 
“Are you two ready?” Zero asked as he strapped his Z-Saber to his armor. He picked up his helmet from its resting place on his bed, putting it on as he faced Axl and X.
 
Axl nodded, his hands resting on his pistols where they were secured in their holsters. “We're ready when you are, Zero,” he answered. “Let's roll.”
 
X seemed thoughtful as he followed the other two from the room, a detail Axl was quick to pick up on. “What is it, X?” he asked. “You seem rather quiet.”
 
X shrugged, idly adjusting his helmet as he walked. “I…I don't know,” he said. “I can't help but keep thinking about what was said at that debriefing, about our mission.”
 
“Well, it is a lot to process, I admit,” Axl replied. “Not only did we learn more about that virus Dr. Kiloh told us is affecting humans, we learned it may stem in part from a military research base that was abandoned decades ago. I admit, the idea of confronting whatever might still be kept in there makes me a bit edgy.”
 
“That's why we need to be careful,” Zero interjected. “If what the Doctor said is true, there's still a lot of experimental technology stored at this base, and no one really knows its full capabilities. We'll just have to exercise restraint until we know exactly what we'll be up against.”
 
“But what about the girls?” X protested, pausing in his tracks long enough for Zero and Axl to get a couple steps ahead of him. “We have to help them, too.”
 
Axl shrugged. “What about `em?” he asked. “They seem pretty capable to me. They could probably handle whatever trouble they got into. At least, Nami could. Rei I'm not so sure about…”
 
“I'm sure she can!” X quickened his pace to catch up to the others. “Sure, she's shy and everything, but I think she can hold her own just as well as Nami! She…she just doesn't know it.”
 
“You have a lot of faith in her, X.” Zero wore a small smile as he regarded his friend. “It seems you're quite fond of her. Same with you, Axl, when it comes to Nami.”
 
His smile increased slightly as he noted the reddening of his friends' faces. Not that it mattered to him; hell, if being around those two girls made them happy, he was happy for them. Yet there was still the matter of their human associate…
 
“What about Trysta?” Axl asked, eerily echoing Zero's thoughts. “After all, she isn't a Reploid, like us. Do you think she'll be all right?”
 
“Asides from the fact she's now a member of our team, I really couldn't care less about her,” Zero answered. “As long as she doesn't do anything to compromise our mission, I'll deal with having her along. The moment she tries anything stupid, all bets are off.”
 
Axl nodded. “Fair enough. Still, I can't believe she interrupted the way she did. And the fit she threw in order to be included on this mission…”
 
“I think I can understand why she did,” X interrupted, drawing confused looks from the other two Hunters. “I mean, since she's human, and this is a threat humans are facing, I understand her wanting to help out. After all, it could easily affect her one day, or the Doctor, or anyone she knows and loves.”
 
“Too convenient a reason, if you ask me,” Zero shook his head as he folded his arms across his chest. “Personally, I think she's just a spoiled little girl who can't stand anyone appearing `better' than she does.”
 
“Well, whatever her reasons may be, it doesn't change the fact that she's part of the team for this mission,” X replied. “I'm willing to work with her, if only for that fact.”
 
“I will too,” Axl chimed in. “It could be fun.”
 
Zero briefly rolled his eyes toward the ceiling. “I told you my feelings on her already. As long as she doesn't try anything stupid, I'll tolerate her joining us.”
 
******
 
“I can't believe you let her bully her way into this, Doctor!” Dax was pacing the floor of the transport control room, hands clenched at his sides in frustration. “I thought we weren't going to cave into her whims anymore!”
 
Dr. Kiloh, sitting in the main control seat, shrugged. “I wasn't,” he said simply. “But you must admit, she made some good points…”
 
“What, about her needing to be included simply because she's human?” Dax interrupted, punctuating his question with a disgusted snort. “Or about her being far superior to the Hunters?”
 
“Some of the former, none of the latter, and a great deal of something you haven't even touched on,” Kiloh replied, leaning back in his seat. “It was foolish of me to attempt to exclude her in the first place. Difficult and temperamental as she can be, she's as much a part of this lab as you and I are, Dax. Taking that choice away from her was the worst thing we could have done, you know that as well as I do.”
 
“But what if she does something to jeopardize the mission?” Dax flopped into an adjacent chair, hands slapping the armrests loudly. “You know her personality, Doctor, what if she tries to do things her way and puts all of us at risk?”
 
“My word, Dax. Had I known you felt so negatively toward her, I would have included her and excluded you.” Kiloh's voice held a tinge of coldness to it. “Trysta may be headstrong and stubborn, but she's not stupid. The girl has a decent head on her shoulders under that icy mask she wears; even you must admit that. She knows as well as anyone how important this mission is. As such, I have complete confidence in her joining this team.”
 
“She'd be a hell of a lot safer if she and the girls just stayed here,” Dax protested. “I just want to protect her, as I'm sure you do…”
 
“As much as I wish she would remain, there's no guarantee it would necessarily be safer here,” Kiloh responded evenly. “This is a dangerous mission, there's no arguing that. But there's no way of knowing if those behind this will attempt to intensify their attacks, maybe even attack labs like this one in order to weaken any opposition to their plans.”
 
Seeing Dax's understanding nod, Kiloh continued. “Besides, she's practically a grown woman, Dax. She won't learn anything by sitting here waiting for things to happen; she needs to get out and experience events outside the lab. Who knows, she may even learn some humility in the process.”
 
Kiloh stifled a laugh, leaning back in his chair as he cast his gaze toward the ceiling. “Look at me. A damned fine guardian I make for that girl,” he said, his tone ironic. “I couldn't be bothered to attempt to raise her, and now I'm letting her race off on a mission that could prove dangerous. Some father figure I turned out to be.”
 
“Don't degrade yourself, Doctor. You've probably been the best thing to happen to Trysta since she was dumped here all those years ago. You gave her a home, food, everything she could possibly want…”
 
“Except a loving family and a feeling of security,” Kiloh interrupted. “If Luniya could see what a pitiful excuse for a father I've been to Trysta, she would be so disappointed in me.”
 
Dax shook his head. “I don't think so, Doctor,” he said. “I think she would be proud of you even making the attempt in the first place. She knew you had never been exposed much to children, so I think she would understand any mistakes you've made. Just as I'm sure Trys will understand one day.”
 
“I can only hope so…” Kiloh trailed off as he heard footsteps approaching the room. He and Dax stood as the three Hunters entered. “Welcome Hunters,” he greeted them, while Dax nodded his greeting. “This is the control room for the transport teleporter; the teleporter's in the next room. The coordinates for the Zankux base are currently being inputted into the system. As soon as the girls get here, our Operator will be able to send all of you to the base to start this mission.”
 
As the trio nodded, voices could be heard approaching the room. Kiloh smiled a tight-lipped smile as Trysta walked through the doorway, followed closely by Rei and Nami. “Ah, good to see you made it,” he said.
 
“Glad to see we haven't missed the party, Doctor,” Trysta's smile only seemed to touch her lips. “I admit, I was concerned you would send them off without waiting for us to arrive.”
 
Kiloh ignored Dax's muttered response. “Now, you know me better than that, Trysta,” he replied. “I gave my word that you three would be included, and I keep my word as much as I can.” Before she could retort, he held up his hand. “We have little time to spend chatting. All of you need to make your way to the teleporter. Once you're all situated, I will inform Sye and we'll begin the sequence.”
 
Moving from behind their friend, Rei and Nami approached X and Axl. “I…I'm so glad to see you again, X,” Rei said, her shy voice barely above a whisper.
 
X smiled gently in return, even as he felt a hint of sweat on his brow as he looked over her armor. And I thought she was a lovely thing in normal clothes, he thought to himself.
 
“So am I, even though I wish we didn't have to be dragged along on this mission in order to see you again,” Nami added, regarding Axl with a sweet smile.
 
Axl laughed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “Believe me, so do I,” he replied, giving her shoulders a squeeze. “But I guess things don't always go the way we want `em to, huh?”
 
Trysta regarded the scene before her with bemusement. As happy as she was for her friends, she still felt a bit protective toward them. She hoped the two Hunters they fancied would keep them safe, even as she told herself they would.
 
As she walked toward the teleporter, she was surprised to find herself falling into step with Zero. The two matched each other stride for stride, neither one looking at nor acknowledging the other for some time.
 
After several silent minutes, Zero figured it was as good a time as any to speak. “So, what exactly do you hope to accomplish by tagging along with us on this mission?” he asked, watching her from the corner of his eye.
 
She narrowed her eyes behind her visor, watching him in like fashion. “Exactly the same thing that you three hope to accomplish,” she replied. “Though it seems you believe otherwise. Not that that's my problem, by any means.”
 
He gritted his teeth briefly. “Let me make one thing clear, Trysta,” he said, his tone low and cold. “I'm only tolerating you joining this mission if you work with us to accomplish our goals. If you do anything to compromise this mission or put any of us in danger, then all bets are off.”
 
“Such faith you have in me, Zero,” Trysta's sarcasm was icy and brittle. “You barely know me, and already you're slinging insults and inferences about my loyalties on this mission.”
 
“Fair's fair, Trysta. After all, you did the same to us when we first met…” He would have continued, except the rest of their group had arrived at the teleporter. They situated themselves so they all could fit on it, and Zero noted how Dax deliberately separated him from Trysta by standing between them. It was a reprieve that Zero was grateful for.
 
“Now initializing teleportation sequence.” A female voice echoed through the room before the humming of the teleporter's machinery enveloped them as it slowly came online. The group stood silently, waiting for the teleporter to fully activate.
 
From her place in the control room, Sye monitored every aspect of the teleport's operation. She had calibrated the teleporter to transport them to Zarkux, and was monitoring activity from the destination teleport to make certain it was still active. With each button she pushed, she brought them that much closer to the end of their journey.
 
A journey none of them would forget any time soon.
 
She pushed a final sequence of buttons in rapid succession. In mere seconds, the group was enveloped in a near-blinding burst of light, which filled the entire room and blanked out the monitors. When the light faded, the platform was empty.
 
Suddenly, the monitors in the control room began blinking wildly. “What? What's happening, Sye?” Kiloh asked his Operator, who rapidly pressed several buttons at her console.
 
“I can't be sure, Doctor. But it appears the teleporter's been hacked.”
 
“What! Hacked? By whom? And how?”
 
“No clue, Doctor,” she replied. “All I know is that someone -or something- has interfered with the teleportation sequence. Damn, all the data on their travel is scrambled!”
 
Kiloh sat back in his chair, his face pale. “Do…do you know if they even arrived?” he asked, his tone strained.
 
Sye shrugged. “No clue, Doctor,” she answered. “For all I know, they could be on the moon right now. I'm literally sitting here blind.”
 
“So unless they find a way to contact us, we'll never know if they arrived in one piece?”
 
“Looks that way, Doctor.”