MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction / Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Souls ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This is a co-written fic, the fics converging are `A Robot's Soul' and `Digital souls'. I hope you enjoy this, especially since both have huge fan followings. Before you read it, read chapter Thirteen of `a robots soul' where the side story takes place.
 
Crossover with `Digital Souls' by WandererD
 
Digimon Souls
By Wanderer D and Firehedgehog
 
Chapter 1
 
They say there are a million different timelines out there... alternate universes... time travel… the works. Now, let's enter two such worlds. Where so many things lead up to many things, in fact... where Robots have souls.
 
------
 
The gate flashed with a golden-blue light, shimmering in the metallic threshold, through it, the other side of the lab could be seen, rippling behind the liquid-like surface.
Gabumon looked doubtfully from it to Dr. Cain, while Robinmon jumped back, startled.
 
"Are you sure that is safe?" the fur-covered Digimon asked.
 
"Well..." Dr. Cain started. "It should. I have been experimenting along with Gennai for a while and the theory is sound."
 
"This will let us visit many other worlds that are connected to the Digital World, right?" Zero asked, poking the surface with his finger.
 
Dr. Cain nodded. "Yes. Right now I have redirected it to another server in the Digital World. A server that has been closed to Gennai since the Dark Masters attacked."
 
Black Peregrine nodded, placing a calming hand on Robinmon's shoulder. "So, why are we doing this?" she asked.
 
Dr. Cain coughed. "That is... well, we have detected a similar space/time fluctuation to the one we create here in that area... and it is time we sent someone to investigate."
 
"So, who else is coming?" Zero asked. "X?"
 
Dr. Cain shook his head. "No... He's in New York with Mimi helping her with some trouble."
 
Zero nodded. "Well, then." he said, nodding to the others. "Let's go!"
 
---
 
It was a beautiful day, the sky was blue... birds sang... not even a sign of a cloud in the sky.
 
'Now this is nice' a crimson eyed teen thought, of course this was not a human teen... in fact this was a very advanced robot known as Protoman. At the moment he was in civilian form so was called Takato at the moment.
 
His scarf fluttered in a light wind, a smile crept to his face.
 
He hadn't been able to enjoy freedom like while under Wily's control; he enjoyed this so much.
 
At that moment a strange wind passed over the area, if his body had nerves they would have tingled with nervous energy.
 
"What in the world is going on?" he questioned.
 
At that moment a large boom filled eth air, the air pressure was so great Takato felt: as if he was getting hit by some great force. He stared at the sky in shock, as it seemed to ripple, at that moment he knew something had gone wrong.
 
'I better talk to Doctor Light about this' he thought, with that Takato got up and ran towards the light lab.
 
---
 
“You've got to be joking,” Takato said wide eyed, in front of him Dr. Light sat in front of the computer. On it were very strange readings, but Takato being the intelligent robot he was recognized at least some of what was being shown.
 
“It's true, it is a space/time fluctuation. In fact, two of them have happened in a very short time... that is why it felt so strong… it made a ripple in the fabric of our universe,” Dr. Light explained, Takato sighed.
 
“Great,” he groaned, Rock a.k.a. Megaman looked at this bewildered.
 
“What exactly is going on?” Rock asked confused, Takato decided to explain.
 
“A space/time fluctuation means that someone either from the future, an alternate universe or an alternate future has come to our world. We don't know what they are here for, or how powerful they are… in all it means trouble,” Takato explained, Rock sighed.
 
“Just when I thought we might get a break from battles,” the smaller robot replied.
 
“Trouble, there is a riot down town,” Dr. Light suddenly called, the two robots traded looks.
 
“Were on our way,” Rock said, in a flash of light Megaman and Protoman stood there. Then they rushed away… battle on the horizon.
 
---
 
After a sudden flash, the group found themselves standing on the top of a building.
 
"Strange..." Peregrine said, looking down at the distant street. "This place looks just like home, Zero."
 
"Yes... it does." Zero said. "We should take civilian forms." he said, looking at her. "People here will probably don't know us."
 
Black Peregrine, the third and last member of Zero's Special Hunter Unit nodded and gave the mental command. The stylized bird-like helm disappeared, letting long brown hair fall down to her waist, her shiny black armor and blaster seemed to melt in the light, transforming into blue jeans and a black tank top. Soon, only her black metallic wings were the only indication that she was not human, but with another thought, they shrank onto her back, until they looked more like a decoration than an actual pair of wings. The teenage girl stretched and smiled.
 
With a flash of light, Zero transformed into a 16 year old looking young man with blonde hair. A green t-shirt, blue jeans and red tennis-shoes replaced the rust-red amour.
 
Jessie; walked up to Matt and took his arm, smiling at him and looking at his blue eyes steadily. "Shall we go?"
 
Matt couldn't help but blush. "Sure… eh, when did you…”
 
Jessie kissed him on the cheek and pulled him towards the stairs. “Like the new clothes? I went shopping with Sora the other day to Nerima.”
 
Robinmon glared at her friend's back. "Grrr... she should take her hands of MY Zero!" she growled, then noticed that Gabumon was looking at her with obvious amusement. She blushed, her dark beak showing a little rosy color. "Stop looking at me!" she said harshly to Gabumon, before running after her.
 
Gabumon chuckled as he trotted after them. "Heh, she never changes..."
 
They walked through the city without incident. Most people tended to ignore Digimon if they were carried like dolls. A fact for which both, Matt and Jessie were thankful.
 
They had taken a bus to have a general idea of where they were and were surprised at the similarities with their world.
 
“Let's get out here…” Matt said, as the bus made a stop.
 
They stepped out and took a look around, following Matt's eyes as they followed up a couple of huge buildings. “This is the first change I have seen so far…” Matt explained. “Back home these are office buildings for a law firm… here they belong to a group called Yagami…” he said, looking at a sign made in granite next to the main doors.
 
"Well, there doesn't seem to be any..." Gabumon started to say when an explosion rocked the whole street. "...trouble..."
 
Matt clenched his teeth and ran towards the smoking building against a tide of people that wanted to get out, followed closely by the others. When he got to the building he stopped.
 
---
 
Gutsman walked out of the experimental facilities with a large metallic crate in his arms, kicking some debris out of the way.
 
"Well that was easy..." Shadowman said following him with Toadman. "We should get out of here before those two idiots, Protoman and Megaman come back."
 
Toadman slammed his fist against his palm. "I wouldn't mind a go at that traitor!"
 
"Then, why don't you have a go at me, Maverick?" a voice said.
 
The three robots turned around and stared at the two kids and their small pets.
 
“You've got to be joking.” Shadowman snorted.
 
The boy smiled at them in a very sinister way. With a small shudder, and telling himself they weren't running away, Gutsman nudged Toadman. “Hey. Let's leave.”
 
“You're not going anywhere.” The boy replied. And then, the girl jumped very high into the air.
 
The three robots knew they were in trouble when metallic black wings grew from her back and a dark swirl of energy covered her body.
 
Bellow her, the boy was also covered in light.
 
The two little pets also glowed.
 
“Gabumon shinka!” the reptile-dog mix thing cried out, suddenly becoming light. “Metal Garurumon!” the cry was a much deeper voice and the light coalesced into a huge armored wolf that would make Rush cringe with envy.
 
The small bird also fluttered up and became light. “Robinmon, shinka!” when the light faded, in her place was a larger much fiercer looking bird with huge red wings with red and white feathers and golden pinions. “Uketsumon!”
 
Gutsman let the crate fall while Toadman and Shadowman traded worried looks. “Uh-oh…” Toadman muttered.
 
Zero smiled as he saw the Mavericks cringe in fear. With a flick of his wrist his sword hummed into life. "Let's hunt!"
 
Toadman didn't even have time to blink when something smashed against him, dragging him across the street and slamming him against a nearby building. His systems registered major damage to his chest, and he looked down in a daze, where two claw marks had torn pieces of his armor as if it was made of paper. Small sparks flew out as he looked at his aggressor.
 
Black Peregrine looked at him coldly, her clawed gauntlets crunching the pieces of armor in them into small, crumpled metal bits. Despite the attractive feminine figure she posed such a danger to him that he was terrified. With a desperate lunge, he shouted his attack. “Acid Rain!”
 
Gutsman snapped back to reality when he heard Toadman's shout. He saw the female robot dodging away from the deadly acid. Her back was to him, so he picked up the crate and was about to throw it at her when a tap on his shoulder made him turn.
 
“And what were you planning to do with that?” Zero asked.
 
In a rage, Gutsman tried to smash the smaller robot with the crate, but to his surprise, Zero stopped the crate's descent with his bare hands. “I don't think so.” The red armored Reploid growled.
 
Surprised and afraid, Gutsman gathered his courage and pushed down. “No one is as strong as I am!” he growled back. “I will crush you!”
 
Zero smiled as he applied force to the crate. In moments, they both could hear crunches and small electric snaps inside as the whole thing was crushed between the force of the two. Despite his predicament, Gutsman was impressed.
 
Shadowman jumped back, barely avoiding a lighting bolt coming from the strange bird, but he was tackled by the wolf. The huge beast put a paw on his chest and growled very close to his face.
 
It was then that he took stock of the situation. Toadman was being pummeled into a wall by the girl robot, as pools of acid melted the street around them. He could hear the crunch of metal and hardware breaking each time the fists smashed into the poor Robot Master. He cringed when a particularly vicious punch tore Toadman's arm off.
 
The red bird also cringed and looked away, while the wolf switched his gaze to the black robot with a worried frown.
 
Shadowman risked a look at Gutsman and wished he hadn't. The red robot had started using his light saber with deadly efficiency, and the only thing that remained now was a giant, slightly sparkling, ice cube where Gutsman silhouette could be made out inside.
 
When Toadman's scream followed by an explosion distracted the wolf enough, he rolled out of the way and made a run for it, melting into the shadows before they could catch him. He risked a look behind and noticed that the wolf and the bird had noticed, but were not doing anything to catch him. He put them out of his mind as he started transmitting back to base. Dr. Wily would not be happy about this.
 
Zero's sword hummed for a few more seconds then died down as he turned it off. "Well THAT was easy." he said, kicking the remains of Toadman's leg out of the way.
 
"Well..." Metal Garurumon said, looking at the destroyed street. "Yes... it was... but, don't you think you overdid it a little?" he cringed when the wall of the building in front crumbled to dust burying most of the remains of Toadman.
 
Zero smiled sheepishly, while Robinmon, back in her rookie form hugged him and glared at the other Digimon. "Zero was only doing his job!" she complained. "Isn't it right, Zero?" she cooed.
 
Metal Garurumon smiled. "Sure, sure," He said and de-evolved back into his Gabumon form. He was more worried about Peregrine right now.
 
"We have more Reploids coming our way!" Black Peregrine warned suddenly.
 
Zero had picked up Gutsman's head and was holding it in consideration when he saw the two arrivals. He threw the head over his shoulder, where it bounced against a wall and rolled down an alley.
 
---
 
As soon as they came upon the scene, Protoman had to blink… in fact he saw Megaman was in the same way. In front of them; was a carnage of robotic bodies, a crumbled wall… and in the middle of it were unknown figures.
 
“Holy robotic parts,” Megaman said with a whistle, this was just over kill.
 
“This can't be good,” Protoman said, he especially didn't like the look of the blood robot… what was it with all the hair anyway.
 
“Why… why did you destroy them in such a way!” Megaman demanded, he had quickly recovered from shock and moved on to a bit of anger.
 
The unknown blinked, it was then that Protoman noticed the Digimon in the group.
 
`A Gabumon, something is going on... something isn't right here?' he thought confused.
 
---
 
Zero looked at Megaman and blink-blinked, then shook his head. "Great. A whiner." he said, with a groan, and then turned to look carefully at the red and grey Reploid. "Either way, you have two options, Mavericks, surrender or follow the path of Ice-cube and Lego here."
 
Taking her cue, Black Peregrine jumped into the air, opening her black wings wide and charging her blaster with dark energy, but not firing.
 
There was something about these two that was tugging at Zero's mind, but he couldn't put his finger on it.
 
---
'Mavericks… what the heck are they, and why would we have to surrender… we work for good. Well I do now... most people still think I'm evil, this is totally messed up' Protoman thought, next to him he felt Megaman becoming uncomfortable... the blue robot wasn't use to people telling him to surrender or be destroyed.
 
Other then him that is.
 
“I don't think so,” Protoman said in a mostly emotionless voice, he had just gotten free…no way was he about to become scrap metal or surrender to some unknown.
 
“Not good, not good at all,” Megaman said.
 
With that, the two robots powered up there own weapons for the coming battle… and there would be a battle.
 
"Heh, typical." Zero chided. "Let's see how you handle yourself in battle."
 
With a sudden burst of speed neither Megaman nor Protoman had expected, Zero slammed his shoulder on Protoman's stomach, sending him reeling back before he could shoot, but didn't continue attacking, smiling smugly. "Listen, kid, give it up." he said.
 
Protoman smirked and licked his lips, a challenge… he finally had one. He had held back a lot… and he meant a lot when he fought Megaman, now it looked like he was finally against someone he could let loose. His eyes gleamed behind his visor, hidden from view.
 
“No thanks. Giving up is lame… especially since we came upon a situation that makes you look bad. We can't give up, for all we know you could just destroy the city once we do,” proto said smirking; yet his voice sounded older then usual… more true to his age.
 
“I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree,” Megaman said frowning.
 
Gabumon frowned. That wasn't what hell-bent-on-destruction-types said to heroes... it was normally the other way around. Oh... crap.
 
With a cry of defiance, Black Peregrine let loose a black energy ball straight at Megaman, who managed to jump out of the way before it hit him. He could just stare as it hit a car and then dissipated. Soon enough, the car came into pieces. Literally.
 
Taking that as a cue, Zero pulled out his sword and Robinmon flew to help Peregrine as a more subdued and very worried Gabumon ran towards Zero.
 
"That was a powerful attack," Megaman said wide eyed, it wasn't often he met someone that powerful… other then Protoman... most of Wily's bots were a joke... in fact... a normal kid could probably destroy some of them with no help.
 
"This is starting to get interesting," Protoman said with a certain grin, a very familiar grin.
One Megaman recognized, the one that said things were about to get a lot more destructive, he sighed... he really wished Protoman would get over that habit... but he was starting too. It was just hard to break bad habits like that,
 
"Um... Zero..." Gabumon ventured, but stepped back as his friend swung his sword in complicated motions before pointing it at the shield-wielding robot. "Let's hunt!" he said in that tone that Gabumon just knew meant trouble for later. Tai used to call it the "Matt Mode of Doom."
 
He sighed as his friend exploded into action with a shout, slicing the ground open and leaving a trail of ice in his sword's wake.
 
Meanwhile, Robinmon was enjoying watching Peregrine dissolve her gun and transform her hands into bird like claws, much to the discomfort of the blue robot.
 
`Creepy' Megaman thought, that was the one thought going through his mind as he watched the female humanoid bird robot reform her hands to claws. `Why do all the evil robots do that' he thought.
 
Protoman smirked as he jumped into the air. He shifted his shield to under his feet and actually rode out the power and shockwave from the pony tailed robots attack.
 
“Nice,” he said in appreciation, he loved destructive attacks.
 
"..." Zero didn't say anything for a second. He had finished his move in a very, very cool position, half kneeling, sword pointed forward, street obliterated in destruction and ice behind him... and had missed. "This might be interesting." he muttered as his only warning, turning around and slashing at Protoman in a combination of attacks.
 
Slowly his frown disappeared and he was smiling as the strange robot was able to dodge, block, parry and even shoot back at him.
 
Meanwhile, Peregrine had swooped up into the air, and then fallen down in a glide that knocked Megaman out of his feet, leaving a scratch of claws on his helmet.
 
“Where's Rush when you need him,” Megaman cried as he dodged another shot from his opponent, he cast a look quickly in Protoman's direction and sweatdropped when he saw the cheerful grin on his face. `Can't he take this seriously' he thought annoyed.
 
Protoman meanwhile was enjoying himself a lot, just by dodging and watching his opponent he was learning the others style and power level, in fact... if this went on long enough he could probably know all this guys moves and beat him with it… sadly this was a true fact.
 
But… enough fun, his smirk went wider and he jabbed forward and sent his opponent painfully slamming into the ground.
 
Zero grinned and pulled himself up, dusting himself off. "Nice one. Almost felt it." He said with a smile. "It's good to see that not all opponents here are wimps that cannot adapt... but it is time I took the blocks out."
 
With that and no warning, Protoman was backhanded across the street and into a store, through the cashier and into the lingerie section. "Take your time!" Zero's voice drifted through the haze of confusion.
 
Gabumon took that opportunity to run towards him.
 
"Okay... now I'm serious... no more playing... no matter how much fun that was," Protoman said getting up. He dusted off his armor which didn't even have a scratch. He walked through the decimated building… as he did he began to whistle... in fact he was known by his whistling when he came to battle… especially when he was serious about it.
 
“Time to pay the reaper blonde,” Protoman said to himself, no one heard him… but if they did they would have shivered at the coldness in his voice.
 
Even Sigma in the future would have.
 
"Matt..." Gabumon tried. "Zero!" he shouted finally in exasperation.
 
"What is it Gabumon?" Zero asked, noticing that his opponent was walking calmly out of the store.
 
"Matt... you have to stop this. I don't think these are the bad guys..." the Digimon said urgently.
 
"Oh, come on, Gabumon, just listen to that creepy guy whistling in the lingerie store... you cannot tell me that's good!" he made sure the baddie could listen to that one.
 
"Matt..." Gabumon warned.
 
Matt sighed. "We'll see what happens now, Gabumon." he said. "Now, step out of the way or transform. That guy could tear a rookie Digimon, no matter how strong, to pieces just by looking at it."
 
Gabumon growled but stepped away as Zero stretched and waited for his opponent's next move.
 
“Actually… Mega level Digimon if I wanted, but it's good that your partner stepped out of the way. I happen to like Digimon, in fact years ago I knew a boy who had a Digimon partner... it was sad when he died. But his friends are moving on, especially the red headed girl with her partner,” Protoman said as he stopped whistling, he was actually talking about his past self.
 
But he very much doubted this bot would believe he was once human, of that he once had a partner. But he was curious of one thing, how could a robot have a Digimon partner?
 
"Not impressed." Zero said, really not impressed. "If you take Apocalymon one on one THEN I will be slightly impressed."
 
Gabumon threw a stone at him and it bounced off his helmet. "Sigh... okay, okay." he growled. "How do you know about Digimon, anyway?" he asked.
 
Protoman paused and stared at Zero in disbelief, not that Zero could see his eyes.
 
“Where the hell have you been, everyone knows about Digimon… especially after the D-Reaper tried to delete the real world and the digital southern world. Hell, even the sovereigns were almost destroyed by that blob of an evil leftover program,” Protoman said in a shocked voice, even Megaman knew this… hell the stupidest of Wily's robots knew about Digimon.
 
Zero frowned. "D-Reaper?" he thought for a moment. "I think Azulongmon said something about that happening on another server..." he muttered. "Never thought much of them though. Wimps, the whole lot of them." he declared.
 
Protoman twitched slightly, Zero had just insulted himself, his friends and many people he respected.
 
“You shouldn't have said that,” he hissed, in just nano-seconds he was in front of Zero and had the blond haired robot on the ground with his arms held painfully held behind him.
 
“I think you are the wimp blond boy, you insult what you do not know... tell me… do you know the meaning of absolution,” Protoman sneered, by this time Megaman and Bird girl had stopped fighting and watched the two warriors… time seemed frozen as Protoman sent Zero in Pain.
 
"Whatever, Shades." Zero growled. "If this is the best you can do you're in for a surprise." Just as fast as Protoman had done, Zero had twisted and slammed Protoman against a lamppost.
 
"One: I've fought worse threats than a minor world skirmish, kid." Slam. "Two: I KNOW those you call 'Sovereign-Digimon' in my part of the Digiworld, some believe they are gods. Personally, I think they could drown in their ego. " Slam! Slam! Slam! "Three, Four and Five: Wimps is what they are! I'm not surprised they couldn't handle anything here either!" By now, even if Protoman's armor hadn't suffered damaged he had battered the robot enough to twist his arms free and grab him by the neck, bringing him face to face. "And Six... I know what sacrifice is, more than you'll ever know. So I will teach you another word: SILENCE!”
 
Gabumon sighed. Just when there had been hope for a peaceful solution. He distantly noticed that blue guy was fighting BP again. "Will this never end?" he moaned.
 
Yet a strange smile came to Protoman's face, not anger…not rage… but sadness... it was not something Zero was expecting.
 
“What do you know of me? You know pain for you scream your rage… your sorrow… in every battle. You wonder what will tomorrow bring, are you strong enough to beat what will come next. Can you guide yourself through the chaos, can you see the danger… the hate and anger you are leading yourself for eternity into.” he said. “Yet I know all too much of pain and sacrifice, I've seen it, faced it… and even wished that I could stop all evil. But one cannot change destiny, it comes and goes… no one truly knows the future,” he whispered to Zero alone.
 
At that moment his visor shattered due to the pressure from Zeros banging, crimson… very human eyes were revealed.
 
“Tell me, if you truly know what sacrifice is… why do you let your fear rule you,” he finally said, and since Protoman was free he only told the truth.
 
Zero stopped glaring and slowly set Protoman down putting his hands on the shorter robot's shoulders. "You... you're not a robot... or a Reploid... you're human!" he said. He gritted his teeth in sudden anger and Protoman could feel just how strong Zero was when he actually felt the pressure in his shoulders armor and all… and realized that while his opponent had certainly underestimated him, he had done the same. "It shouldn't be possible again,” Zero continued, eyes focusing on Protoman again. “Unless... Wily!" he growled.
 
Gabumon sighed, having been privy to what had happened. Well at least things would go back to normal now... he looked around, searching for the others.
 
"Zero!" Gabumon shouted suddenly, pointing to the other end of the street.
Zero turned around and saw Peregrine holding a very battered Megaman by the neck smiling savagely as she charged her free claws for a destructive swipe at the blue-bomber's head.
 
"Damn!" Zero swore. In a flash, faster than even Protoman could follow, he was behind Black Peregrine, forcing her arms back so that she let the robot go. "Stop!"
BP shrieked much like a hawk and tried to loose him, but he held on. "I SAID STOP NOW, HUNTER!" he ordered.
That seemed to calm her down. She blink-blinked, shaking her head. "What... what happened?"
Megaman fell to his knees. He was still alive, although his armor would need some time to be brought back into shape.
 
Protoman had walked up to Megaman and helped him up, noticing that despite the sorry state of his armor, he was otherwise fine. “You okay, bro?”
 
Megaman nodded, looking at Peregrine with a little trepidation. “Yes, I'm okay…”
 
Protoman nodded and looked back at Zero. “You mentioned Dr. Wily.” He said with a dangerous undertone. “How do you know him? Don't tell me you work for him?”
 
Zero didn't let go of Peregrine, even as she reacted to the name with a sudden look of guilt.
 
"Wily... was a problem once. No more." Zero said. "We don't work for him, but he was responsible for a lot of things that happened to us."
 
Gabumon led Robinmon towards them, the bird Digimon looking at the two strangers with a mixture of curiosity and open distrust.
 
“Heh… we have a lot in common then stranger, more then we realize. I think we need to talk, and this place will soon be crawling with police or more of Wily's little robots… you might as well come with us to get this all settled,” Protoman said, Megaman blinked.
 
“Do you think that's wise Protoman?” he asked concerned, Protoman looked at Zero.
 
“Yeah, I think that these four are the cause of the disturbance in time and space… we got to get them out of sight before Wily decides he wants them,” Protoman said. “Call ahead to Dr. Light Megaman… sigh… this has long day written all over it,” he muttered. Megaman nodded and pulled out his communicator to call his creator.
 
Meanwhile, Zero's mind had been going over the words the robot-human had said. "Dr. Light?" he said suddenly, snapping back to the present and finally letting go of Peregrine, who smiled sheepishly at Megaman. "The Dr. Light that made Megaman?" he looked at the blue robot. "He's weaker than the reports said..." he muttered. Then, "Wait... bro?" he asked looking at Proto. "Is he...?" Zero couldn't be sure, but… could Megaman also have a human soul inside his robot body?
 
Protoman sweatdropped at the strange looks they were receiving, he sighed.
 
“This is all fine and dandy, well lets go… by the way… any chance you two can get through the city without fighting, Wily's robots attacking… you know the works... the things that other robotic visitors seem to do when they get here?” Proto asked curious.
 
“Proto, you make it seem that chaos follows around every unknown robot,” Megaman said with a sweatdrop.
 
“Your point being, think of the chaos that followed me before I got free of Wily's control. Anyway Mega, we have to get them home without trouble, and I don't know if they can blend in like we can... hell were the only two robots I know that can,” Protoman pointed out, and Megaman knew he had a point.
 
Zero exchanged looks with Peregrine and nodded. Soon they were covered in light and their armor disappeared, leaving them in their civilian forms. Peregrine looked like a black-winged angel until her metallic wings finally shrank to “decorative” size.
 
"Will this do?" Matt asked all innocence.
 
Protoman sighed, why did he get the ones with the weird sense of humor... like himself.
 
It will do,” Protoman said, he shared a look with Megaman who nodded.
 
Silver light surrounded them briefly, then standing there were a teenager and a pre-teen.
Standing there was a human looking Protoman; he wore normal clothing. The only thing that hadn't vanished that he had been wearing was his scarf; at least that was the same.
 
He was wearing a navy blue sweatshirt with a white hazard symbol on it; he wore tight form fitting black jeans and simple white sneakers. The final touch was black fingerless gloves.
 
Megaman was different, the blue bomber looked to be a human boy around thirteen with short messy brown hair that had a slight reddish color to it. He wore a white long sleeve T-shirt with a blue vest over it; he wore simple blue jeans and a cool pair of blue combat boots, and last of all he wore blast wristbands.
 
"Nice scarf." Matt said. At least this would make things easier. "The name's Matt." he said.
 
"This is Gabumon, my Partner." he pointed at the Digimon, who smiled.
 
"Nice to meet you!" Gabumon said happy that things were calming down.
 
"This is Jessie, my girlfriend." he said, taking the shapely girl's arm. She blushed.
 
"Sorry about almost ripping your head off." she said lamely to Megaman.
 
She apparently didn't know what else to say, so Matt continued. "This is Robinmon, our friend and, uh... Jessie's adopted partner."
 
"Humph!" Robinmon said. "Only because I don't have a Digivice and she lost her Tag of Lameness." she said and was rewarded by a bonk to the head, courtesy of Jessie.
 
Megaman snickered.
 
“Call me Rock when I'm like this, in armor I'm Megaman. This is Takato, but when he's armored up call him Protoman,” Megaman said cheerfully.
 
“Tag of lameness… not another one, why do I always meet the Digimon that say weird things,” Takato said looking at Robinmon, Rock snickered.
 
“Come on Takato, its not that bad,” Rock teased.
 
“If you say that again, I will borrow Terriermon from Henry and lock you in the same room as him for three hours,” Takato threatened straight faced, and he meant it… Rock sweatdropped.
 
Matt took a look at the two and could really believe they were brothers.
 
"Should we go, then?" he asked. "So, this Henry, is he a Digidestined?" he asked Takato.
 
Yeah, we better go,” Rock said with a frown, they started walking from the battle scene.
 
Actually, Henry is called a Tamer… not a Digidestined,” Takato said giving Matt a strange look… for some weird reason Matt reminded him of the Matt from the Digimon Adventure cartoon.
 
"Really?" Matt asked. "Well, I guess it makes sense to call them Tamers... in a way... sounds kind of Pokemonish to me, though. Does he have a Tag?" he asked.
 
Tag... what the hell is that. The only thing I've heard of tags and Digimon even centered near each other was in the `Digimon Adventure' cartoon years ago,” Takato explained, this was getting weird.
 
"Well..." Matt looked at Takato strangely. "There are different types of Tags... mine is the Tag of Friendship, it's the strongest characteristic I have that I share with Gabumon, that's why when I met him in File Island he knew who I was... all other Digi- I mean, Tamers I know have one. Tai, Kari, T.K., Joe, Izzy, Mimi and Sora all have Tags." He explained.
 
`Please don't let this be what I think it is, Digimon was a shock enough when I found they were real… the cartoon can't exist also can it... maybe a different time… alternate universe maybe' Takato thought frowning,
 
“You know, I think I may have something you might be interested in… I'll show you when we get to our place,” Takato said to matt, he was definitely going to get Matt to watch the cartoon.
 
Matt noticed Takato's discomfort and decided to let him be. Maybe the guy also had wanted to be a Digidestined and didn't manage to get a Digimon for himself. Instead, he dropped a little behind and started talking with Jessie as they followed the two robots.
 
"What happened back there?" he asked in a whisper.
 
Jessie shook her head. "I... I don't know... for some reason I was so angry at poor Megaman..." she said, then started to speak louder, unconsciously going into the defensive. "I... think I was really enjoying tearing him apart... I'm scared... I never thought I could do something like that... since..." Matt put a hand on her shoulder, looking at Takato to see if he had heard.
 
If he had, he was doing a very good job of keeping it to himself. "We can talk about this later, BP." he said in a caring tone.
 
Jessie nodded and followed the others through the now busy streets.
 
---
 
Takato had in fact heard the conversation behind him; he hadn't survived Wily with bad hearing. But he was relieved in a way; that meant Jesse was a nice girl… just having a bad time.
 
We should be arriving in a few minutes,” he called back to Matt and Jesse and their respective Digimon.
 
With a final, reassuring smile to Jessie, Matt walked up to Takato. "Hey, you said that you had been registering some space/time fluctuations, right? We came here because we detected those a few days ago and decided to investigate. You think Dr. Light might help us find the origin?"
 
Takato blinked and nodded. “Probably, he's been going happily scanning for the sources since we detected it,” he replied, in fact he bet the one they detected was Matt and his group arriving.
 
“I just realized something, you guys don't have a place to stay,” Rock said blinking.
 
“You're right,” Takato said with a frown. He realized where this was leading up to, if his little bro had his way the visitors would be staying with them. He didn't know if he could live with that, especially with the Digimon so near by… they reminded him so much that he would never have Guilmon by his side ever again.
 
Matt considered. "Well, yeah, but I figure we could always find a place to stay. We have money..."
 
Jessie nodded, picking up Robinmon.
 
"But we should talk to Dr. Light. He must have detected the same signals we did, and I am kind of worried about that." Matt finished.
 
“First we go see Dr. Light... then find a place for you to stay,” Takato said to them.
 
“Why don't they stay with us, that way they don't have to worry about finding a place and can save there money?” Rock suggested, Takato sighed.. He had a feeling if he said no he would have been outvoted.
“Whatever,” he said.
 
Jessie was a little torn. "Oh, we wouldn't... don't worry about it, we can find our own place..."
Matt, who had spied Takato's reaction more carefully, put his hands on the back of his head. "Well, I don't know, it might be more fun staying with them, and we would have Dr. Light to talk to..." he said "Plus, we can't have Gabumon and Robinmon walking around like that, they might scare someone."
 
"But..." Gabumon started.
 
"AND," Matt interrupted. "Home made food is SO much BETTER than the stuff we would have to buy..."
 
Gabumon was about to speak when his stomach grumbled. "Hehe..." he laughed, blushing.
 
`Damn… he's one of those people' Takato thought, he gave an internal sigh… hopefully nothing would happen to Roll tonight or he would have to cook. Dr. Light couldn't cook for the life of him, Rock had almost blown up the kitchen the other day just trying to toast... well toast. And himself, well he still remembered how to cook after his years of living in a bakery.
 
“Oh Joy,” Takato said, now he would have to live with two Digimon reminding him of more he lost.
 
`Guilmon… you're with me in a way… but its not the same' he thought sadly, yet none of these thoughts showed on his face or even his eyes.
 
Matt smiled to himself. He just knew Takato was the type that wouldn't have visitors if he could have it his way. "Well, we shall see what to do after we've spoken to the good doctor."
 
---TBC---
Here is the end of the first chappy, pretty long isn't it. Well, this is one of the reasons `a robot's soul' wasn't updated in so long, we were writing this fic…and we still are.