Mirage Of Blaze Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Chasing Twilight ❯ Chapter Six: Your Takaya ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: To those of you who have continued to follow this story in spite of the authoress's absentmindedness. Thank you. I thought I posted this chapter ages ago, actually, but as it turns out, I wrote it, and forgot to post it. I'm sooo sorry! To make up for it, I assure you that I am in the process of writing the next chapter at least. Though it's coming slowly, it is on the way. I promise. I'm not done with this story yet. It was weird that I got emailed about it the day that I realized I forgot to post this. Sadly, I got into too many projects again. Heh. So I apologize for taking a long time on this. Once I get past the hurdle of the kidnapping and resolution, things should flow more smoothly…I hope. Like I could ACTUALLY end this story with poor Chiaki in such a miserable state, and with Omi and Schu in their current position…and before Naoe gets laid. Heh. Hey, he's been waiting like half a millennium-I think the boy has earned it. Haha. Well, here ya go. Hope you like it.

Chasing Twilight

By: Banshee Puppet

Chapter Six: Your Takaya

'Because I'm your friend, you idiot. I don't want to see you cry.' ~Haruie~

"I'm still coming up empty," Haruie sighed, leaning back and stretching. "What happened to the good old days when if you wanted something, you just announced your terms, grabbed your sword and your army, and went to war? That was so much easier."

"And thousands of people died," Chiaki reminded her.

She waved it off. "World's overpopulated anyway."

"And you were male."

She paused whatever rebuttal was about to escape and nodded slowly. "Yeah. I was hot."

Chiaki tossed a pen at her, watching it gently arc until it hit her shoulder. "Get back to work," he scolded.

Haruie picked up the pen. "Yeah yeah. Slave driver."

"Oh yes, I'm so cruel to you."

"Not as cruel as you are to me," a voice came from behind him, jestful, but still making Chiaki jump slightly.

"Yuzuru!"

"Shh. Library," Yuzuru reminded, sitting beside him. He lifted one of the books in the pile. 'City Maps 1904-1934.' Ne considered it a moment, then placed it back down and turned to Chiaki.

"How are you?" he asked sincerely. "You haven't called or anything since…"

Chiaki's heart thudded in his ears. All he could remember was how good Yuzuru tasted, wished he could hold him in his arms, never let go-never ever let go. And then he realized he was supposed to say something and the rather inelegant, "sorry, what?" fell from his lips.

Haruie took this as her cue to go back to her microfilm and be quiet.

"I looked for you at school yesterday," Yuzuru said.

"Oh. Something came up. I won't be in school today either."

"Do you need help?"

"Nah. Haruie likes to complain, but she's doing alright."

"Oh. Okay," Yuzuru replied. He sounded a little dejected, like his mom just told him he couldn't have a puppy or something. "Hey, Chiaki, can we go talk for a bit? Somewhere, you know, private?" He was feeling guilty about what happened, Chiaki could tell, so he nodded and stood.

"This should do," Chiaki said when they reached the fourth floor stairwell. "No one ever comes here. They just use the elevator," he explained to put the other man at ease.

Yuzuru took a deep breath. "Chiaki, you're not…are you avoiding me because of, you know, what happened? Because I really am so sorry. I mean, I didn't know about you and Takaya…"

Chiaki was about to assure the other man when he was caught rather off guard. "What about me and Takaya?" he asked. What the hell did Yuzuru think was going on?

"Well, that you're in love with him."

Chiaki blinked. 'Huh?' The expression prompted Yuzuru's 'helplessly confused' expression.

"Yuzuru," Chiaki began. "I am not now, nor have I ever been, in love with Kagetora," he smiled, half tempted to pat the young man on the head like a little lost puppy. Yuzuru really was so hopelessly adorable…Chiaki couldn't help smiling down at him.

"But then why…I mean…you were so…you cried, Chiaki."

Chiaki sighed, adjusted his glasses. "Yuzuru, you are my dear friend and you were hurting. What did you expect? You were in pain and I couldn't do anything for you. You love a man who is much less than you deserve and he takes advantage of you, even if he doesn't realize it. You had a bad moment. Just forget it. And forget him Yuzuru. For your own sake." 'And for mine,' he thought.

"Chiaki, I'm sorry. I can't help it. Takaya is so special to me…"

"Then do it for him!" Chiaki raised his voice in impatience. "He's never going to love you. He loves Naoe, always has, always will, but as long as you're like this, he'll never be happy!" Aggravated, he wiped a bit of moisture from his eyes and adjusted his glasses. He wasn't going to cry again. 'What is wrong with me lately?' "God Yuzuru! Can't you see how much I hate all of this?!" he demanded, agony laced into his tone.

Yuzuru took a steadying breath. It wasn't like Chiaki to get this worked up and he didn't like it. "I'll try Chiaki, but not for me, or Naoe, or even Takaya. For you only, my gentle and loving friend, Chiaki. I don't want to drown you in my sorrow."

'I've never seen Chiaki like this before,' he thought. 'I'm pretty lucky, aren't I, to have him beside me.'

Yuzuru leaned up and planted a tiny kiss on Chiaki's lips. It was nothing like the last kiss they shared, this one purely platonic. "Just a thank you," he said gently before Chiaki could open his mouth to ask. Yuzuru began to walk back when he noticed Chiaki hadn't moved from his spot.

"I'll follow in a minute," the other assured him.

"Okay."

When he heard the door click closed, Chiaki fell back against the wall. His heart was thundering through his head like a persistent echo from even that tiny, meaningless kiss. He brought his hand from his lips quickly when he heard Yuzuru at the bottom of the stairs calling him.

"What is it?" he asked, sounding as casual as possible.

"I had a sudden realization," Yuzuru called up to him, smiling. "I don't think Takaya is really my best friend anymore, Chiaki. He used to be, but now he's just the person I love. My best friend is you; I just wanted to tell you that. Anyway, I have to go to school now. I'll tell them you have the flu, alright?"

"Sure. Thanks."

"Come by tonight to tell me what's going on? And maybe a movie or video games or something?"

"Sure."

Again the door clicked shut between them.

Disgruntled and holding back a sob, Chiaki spun and slammed his fist into the wall. 'Damnit!" He turned again, sunk down to the floor. "I don't want to be your best friend Yuzuru, you oblivious dolt! I want to be your Takaya."

He took a few steadying breaths. The voice beside him a few moments later surprised him. "You know, in five-hundred years, I think I've figured out that there are only really two kinds of love: Possessive Love-a love where one person can't stand the thought of their other half even looking at someone else, and Sacrificing Love-where you'll give up everything for another person's happiness." Haruie kneeled beside her old friend and placed a hand on his shoulder. "If you want him, Nagahide, then want him honestly. Don't fall into the same cycle we've been watching in our friends for the past five centuries."

"Haruie?"

"You are a possessor, as I am, as Kagetora is, as Naoe is. If you continue like this, your soul will chase his, and it will destroy you both. He'll come to hate you."

Weakly, Chiaki tried to rebut her comment. "Yuzuru isn't capable of hating anyone. Not even Kosaka, not even Naoe, who stole Kagetora from him."

It was then that Chiaki looked up to find Naoe and Takaya on the stairs. Takaya was carrying a small stack of books. Beside him, Naoe had another two books in one hand and the other resting at the base of the younger man's spine. Chiaki opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He'd been caught in such a vulnerable position. Haruie had seen him this way before. Yuzuru he would show all of himself. But Naoe and Kagetora-different story.

"How long have you been standing there?" Haruie asked.

"Does Yuzuru really think Nobutsuna stole me from him?" Takaya asked.

Chiaki looked at them accusingly. "Isn't that how it is?"

"Of course not! Yuzuru will always be my best friend!"

"Really? Then why didn't you tell him you were back in town?"

"I just got back yesterday."

"And went straight to Naoe, right? I didn't realize you two were on a first name basis."

"It's none of your business!" Takaya growled defensively.

Chiaki stood. "You're pissing me off! You've always been like this! You can't have everything! Yuzuru loves you, you bastard! If you don't want to be his lover then at least let him go!"

"I promised to protect Yuzuru! I won't abandon him!"

"You already have! Just look at yourself! You want to protect Yuzuru? When Kagetora? When you're not fucking Naoe? He doesn't need that kind of protection!"

Takaya lunged at Chiaki, knocking the other man's glasses off of his face when he slammed a left hook into his jaw. Chiaki stumbled back. "Damnit! Selfish bastard. I'll protect Yuzuru!" He didn't know what he was saying; he just wanted to stop Yuzuru's pain.

Takaya's eyes widened. He was stunned. He had the feeling that Chiaki meant that exactly the way it sounded. He'd always thought Chiaki and Haruie were…but…

He sobered. "Chiaki? Are you in love with Yuzuru?" he was just too stunned to not ask. It seemed so strange.

Fists clenched at sides, Chiaki exploded. "Yes, Damnit! Stop hurting him! I don't know how to protect him from you!" He took a few deep breaths. He couldn't believe he'd just blown up like that.

Naoe smiled slightly. "It's good to see that you're finally taking an active interest in something Nagahide. But I believe we're all here for more important reasons right now. The two of you can deal with this later, right?"

"Yeah. Sure," he said a little bitterly.

"Takaya, ready to continue?"

"Right. Let's get to work."

"Hey!" Haruie called when she noticed how Takaya allowed Naoe to rest a hand on his hip without protests. "I gotta know, are you two finally?"

Surprisingly, it was Takaya who answered with an awkward smile. "We're just trying it all on for size. Will you tell Yuzuru I said 'hello' at least? And that I'll see him in school next week?"

"Fine," Chiaki grumbled, still in a mood as he tried to, half-blindly, repair his glasses.

*~*~*

"I think this is the one," Nagi said finally. "It's a suburban area. Looks as if most of the locals work nine-to-five, so it's probably best to go in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the most recent blueprints I have are fifty years old."

"It'll have to do," Ran said as he peered over Nagi's shoulder.

"Agreed," Crawford stated, pushing his glasses up his nose and doing the same.

"Uhm, do you two mind backing up?" the young man asked, suddenly claustrophobic.

"So, tomorrow afternoon then. Let's work out a plan," Crawford said, not bothering to move from his place.

*~*~*

'I don't know how to protect him from you!' The words echoed through Takaya's mind like an unhappy Irish ballad. Naoe had taken him out to dinner and they had just returned. Now they were on the couch together, with Takaya lying down, head resting on the other man's thigh.

He huffed slightly. "It's too complicated. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. You say you love me, now Yuzuru loves me too, but Chiaki loves Yuzuru, and I don't know who I love…I don't want to lose any of my friends, so what do I do?"

Naoe ran his fingers through unruly bangs, pulling a content sigh from Takaya's lips. "The best you can," he replied. "No one can ask anything more of you than that. The answers will come when they're ready."

"I guess."

"It's getting late. Are you going to stay over again?" Naoe remembered waking to find their fingers entwined and listening to his love's soft breathing. He wouldn't mind at all, waking up like that from now on.

"It's okay, right?" Takaya asked.

"More than 'okay', Takaya. You can stay as long as you like, considering I can keep my resolve."

Takaya chuckled, smirking slightly. "You're so subtle, Nobutsuna. We'll have to work on that."

"If I was more subtle, I would only confuse you."

"Probably," Takaya agreed. He kept questioning the whole arrangement. He felt so content, lying with Naoe like this, had fallen so easily into calling him by his first name. He'd even caught himself thinking of the other man as 'tsuna on a few occasions! It had only been one full night and a day, but it had already become so much easier to think, to plan. And despite all that was wrong in the world now, and all they would have to do tomorrow, he felt at peace. Was this love? But there was no physical end to it. He didn't desire Naoe. Looking at him, handsome as he was, didn't make his abdomen stir or his flesh harden. Conversely, the gentle, if possessive, way that Naoe touched him was not unpleasant, and the two kisses they had shared, well, Takaya had liked them. He decided then that if he could stay by Naoe's side this contently forever, then maybe he didn't really care if it ever became physical or not. As it was, the only real doubt in his mind was the sex. He knew he found Naoe to be a handsome man, but that wasn't enough to desire him.

This was another reason he wanted Kagetora's memories back. Something was still missing. Had Kagetora ever desired Naoe, even a little? Maybe he could connect to that feeling if it was there. He sat up and turned slightly so that his torso was resting against Naoe's side. He tilted his chin back, gently kissing the man's jaw.

"Takaya?"

"I…" Takaya paused. How did you say 'because I don't mind when you kiss me' without sounding callous or petty. "I know I like your company, Nobutsuna," he began slowly. "That just means that we're friends, and we both already knew that. I'm not saying that I want to have sex with you just to see if it turns me on, or anything, but I thought maybe we could try making out a bit. Forget it, now that I said it out loud, it sounds idiotic."

But before he knew it, Naoe had tilted his head up and kissed him gently, just a small kiss to start. "Do you think I'll turn down any excuse to kiss you, Taka?" he whispered teasingly against Takaya's mouth, adjusting himself slightly to get a bit more comfortable with Takaya, to make Takaya as comfortable as possible with their current situation. After a few awkward moments and stolen kisses, he figures out the best position and gently pulls one of Takaya's legs over his own so that the brunette was straddling his hips. He rests the young man on his thighs, further back than if they were going all the way so that Takaya doesn't have to deal with an erection that Naoe is fairly certain he'll have to deal with when Takaya has satisfied his curiosity and is finished with him.

Takaya looked a bit awkward and embarrassed.

"It will be more comfortable this way," Naoe said, soothing tiny circles over Takaya's spine.

Takaya settled back, spreading his thighs a bit wider to make things more comfortable as well. "Sorry, I'm not used to this," he apologized weakly, feeling stupid.

Naoe leaned in, nuzzling his neck slightly and kissing his throat. "Stop thinking so much. Just do what feels good."

"Right." Takaya took a small breath and met Naoe's in a slow, warm kiss.

"I sort of liked it, you know, when you called me Taka," he mumbled between their lips.

Naoe chuckled. "Taka," he breathed, patting the younger man's ass, "shut up."

*~*~*

A/N: Well, I wasn't going to stop this chapter here. I had a lot more I was expecting to happen in chapter six, but since this chapter is getting kind of long, I'll stop here for now and make the rest of what was supposed to be chapter six, chapter seven. *wonders where her plot is…*

Well, enjoy! R&R and stuff.

Miao.