Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ Last Battle Saga ❯ Episode 1: The Mind of Evil ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

~ Note before Note: Bleh….I started this when I was 13. I'm 15 now (2002), and have attempted to edit some of my horrible writing. So, please excuse the awefulness of the first 7 chapters or so…except the ones CP and SL wrote. ^^

VERY IMPORTANT: You must have had read CP's MR 200x before reading this! Otherwise, you'll be spoiled about the ending and other things of 200x, not to mention confused! As I first upload this [2/11/02], CP has yet to upload her final chapter of 200x onto FF.net. However, all of her 200x chapters, including the ending, can be found at http://members.tripod.com/~CarissaP/index-200X.htmlSo please, please, please read all of 200x before this! If you don't, I can't be blamed. (Wow, that sounded arrogant…gomen…) There's also an ending movie to 200x that CP will have out soon, so a few other things should be cleared up.

~ Note: This takes place 2 years after CP's Monster Rancher 200x ends. Thanx a lot to CP for giving me permission to write a sequel to her story! Oh, and the Blue Phoenix's power lengthened all the monster's life span to about the average human life. So, Tiger and the others aren't "old" anymore. Now they're young adults again. Hey, I couldn't stand it if Tiger died from old age! Hope you like it as much as Monster Rancher 200x! Read on! @_@.

Holly-chan, author.

Prologue

The moon cast an eerie glow upon the land. A shapeless silhouette appeared against the circle of light at the top of the mountain that overlooked the village below.

"Toriyama…" as voice from behind the shadow hissed. A smudge of white appeared as the shadow smiled.

"Yes…it's been a while."

"Only two years, actually, Master…"

"Two years can be a long time when you're nothing, my faithful servant," the shadow growled. The sky thundered as droplets of rainwater began to fall.

"They have managed to rebuild the village, Master."

"No matter," the shadow replied, "On this night, my greatest enemy will be at my mercy, and I will show him none. Only the power and will of my mind!"

"He will cower at your feet, my Master."

"Yes," the shadow hissed. "Yes…and my biggest step towards domination shall be complete!" A clap of thunder and a streak of lightning streaked across the sky, and the shadow was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holly ran around in the endless darkness.

"Genki? Suezo?" she yelled, starting to get more than a bit frightened. "Where are you?" Suddenly, Genki stepped out of the shadows and Holly breathed a sigh of relief.

"Good. It's just you Gen-" she stopped. Genki's eyes glew a blood red, and he started towards her, grinning evilly. Holly screamed before waking up.

There was a loud CRASH outside as Genki and Holly woke with a start.

"What the Hell was that?" Genki asked Holly.

"I dunno." Holly replied. Genki got out of bed and looked out the window. A large group of evil looking Dinos, Ice Men, Rovers, Nymphs, and Clays were attacking the village.

"Damnit!" Genki muttered. Anothor loud crash woke up the monsters. Tiger looked up sleepily.

"What's going on?" he asked, yawning. Mocchi sat up behind him, rubbing his eyes.

"We're being attacked." Genki replied. There was a loud clap of thunder, and then the cry of a scared baby. Genki and Holly looked at each other.

"Yuji!" they cried simultaneously. They ran out of the room and into another bedroom. A baby with dark brown hair like Genki and hazel eyes like Holly was crying his heart out, scared to death from the storm and the noise outside. Holly gently picked him up and cradled him.

"Shhh. It's okay Yuji, nobody's going to hurt you. It'll be all right." She whispered gently while Genki woke up Suezo. Yuji, hearing his mother's sweet and soft voice, immediately calmed down. He relaxed in Holly's arms and started to drift off again. Genki looked out the window again, biting his lip. Holly went over to him, still holding Yuji.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Genki frowned.

"Nothing," he replied, "it's just that those monsters attacking have a symbol on them that looks kinda like Moo's old symbol, only there's a G in the middle of it." Holly looked worried.

"Do you have any idea what that means?" she questioned. Genki shook his head.

"None whatsoever. But I'm gonna try to stop those badies! C'mon guys, let's go!" Genki called over to his little pink monster. Genki ran out of the room, pulling his trusty rollerblades on. Mocchi, Tiger, and Suezo followed behind him. Genki shook Golem and Hare awake as he opened the door.

"C'mon, we've got some fighting to do!" he said to them. Hare stretched and Golem struggled to get out the door without breaking it. The other monsters followed Golem out into the pouring rain. Genki skated after them.

"Wait Genki!" Holly called. "It's raining and freezing cold! You can't just run out there in your boxers!" Genki turned to her.

"No time for that." He said. Just as he finished, a house in front of him exploded. Holly and Genki's eyes widened in shock. Genki rode off.

"Just protect the baby!" he called behind him.

"Be careful!" Holly called.

"I'll be back soon." Genki promised as he disappeared over a tall hill. Holly watched him go then closed the door. There was a small explosion just outside the door. Yuji woke up again and squirmed in Holly's arms, starting to cry again. Holly held her little son closer and hushed him.

"It's time we hide." She said, heading for the secret compartment in the storage closet. If Holly hadn't known the door was there, she wouldn't have found it. The hatch blended in perfectly with the closet floor. There was a loud pounding on the front door.

"Who's in here?" a growling voice shouted from the other side.

Holly opened the hatch and quickly climbed in. She closed the trapdoor just as the front door burst open….

Genki kicked a Nymph on the face, making her go crashing into a wall. She turned into a Lost Disk. A Dino snuck up behind Genki, but Tiger slashed him, making him a Lost Disk as well.

"Watch your back kid." Tiger told Genki. Genki smiled.

"So, I'm still a kid to you?" he asked. Tiger smiled but didn't respond. Meanwhile, Hare pounded the badies down, making them turn into more Lost Disks. Genki was leading a small kid out of danger when he found himself surrounded by Clays. Genki pushed the kid past them.

"Run. Quick." Genki told him. The kid didn't need to be told twice. He was outta there. Genki turned to the Clays.

"Bring it on." Genki bravely said. The Captain frowned.

"CLAYS ATTACK!" the Clays charged forward, but Genki was ready for them. He punched the one closest to him and instantly turned him into a Lost Disk. Genki jumped, punched, and kicked. Clays turned to Disks left and right. But there were too many of them. Genki got whipped real hard before he finally had only the Captain left. Genki rubbed his nose like when he was a kid.

"C'mon! Or are you afraid I'll turn you into a Lost Disk as well?" Genki said. Captain Clay smiled.

"Is that a challenge?" he mocked.

"It is." Genki growled. Captain Clay lunged forward and tried to whip Genki with his elastic-like arm. Genki blocked it with his foot. The two glared at each other and then started to fight so fast it was a blur. Suddenly, the evil Captain gave a hard smack right at Genki's face, sending him flying through the air. Genki landed with a thud on the muddy earth. He tried to rub the blood out of his eyes. The Clay grinned and raised his arm, about to strike again. Suddenly, there was a loud screech and Captain Clay was knocked down. Genki looked up.

"Pixie! It's about time!" he exclaimed as the Clay turned into a Lost Disk. His old friend smiled.

"You're welcome." Pixie said. "Besides, I still owe you some." Genki smiled as Pixie helped him up.

"Yeah, I guess so." He replied, blading off to get more badies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the badies were Lost Disks now. Genki looked around to see if there was anyone left to fight. He saw a foreboding dark figure high up on the ledge that stood over the path that led out of town. Genki decided to check it out.

"He'sss coming, Massster." A Naga hissed to the dark figure.

"Let him come." The figure replied in a deep, evil voice.

Genki jumped, literally, up the mountainside. He reached the mysterious creature in no time.

"Who are you?" Genki demanded. "What do you want with our peaceful village?" the dark figure laughed and turned around. He looked humanoid, only he was completely black, save the red glowing eyes and a mouth full of sharp white fangs.

"Ah Genki," he sibilated, "we meet yet again."

"Who are you?" Genki demanded. The figure laughed.

"I am no one else but…Moo." He replied. Genki took a small step back.

"But how could you? The Blue Phoenix-" He gasped. Moo laughed again.

"Have you forgotten, human?" Moo asked. "The mind of evil never dies!" Genki clenched his teeth.

"Who have you possessed this time?" he asked angrily. "A Clay of sorts?" Moo shook his evil head.

"No. Right now I posses no one. This is my natural form. Or, what I managed to create with my mind." Genki's frown deepened.

"What do you want with our village? Do you wish to take it over?" he asked, getting madder by the minute. Moo shook his head.

"No. Not now at least. The only real reason I came here was for you." Genki glared at him.

"What do you want me for?" he questioned.

"I want to get you out of my way…forever!" Moo laughed evilly. Genki's eyes widened and he screamed as Moo's shadow fell upon him…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Holly? Holly? Are you in there?" Holly sat up abruptly, almost hitting her head on the trapdoor. She heard Yosho's deep, gentle voice. Her father. Holly breathed a sigh of relief, opening the trapdoor.

"Over here Father!" she called. Yosho rushed over to her, helping her out. He hugged her carefully, not wanting to hurt his grandson in his daughter's arms.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" Yosho sobbed. "But your house is totaled." Holly took a look around. Her dad was right. Chairs and tables were turned over, broken in numerous places. Blankets were torn to shreds, and there was a large hole where a wall used to be. Holly went outside with her father. Hare, Tiger, Mocchi, Golem and Suezo ran over to them.

"You're all okay!" Holly said happily. She took a look around. "Where's Genki?" the monsters looked confused.

"We thought he went back home to you." Suezo said. Holly shook her head.

"No, he didn't." she said. Suddenly, Big Blue lumbered over.

"Big Blue!" Holly shouted. "Have you seen Genki?" Big Blue frowned and nodded sadly.

"What's wrong?" Holly asked worriedly.

"Genki…Genki is…dead." Big Blue said sadly. Holly and the others gasped.

"No…" Holly cried, a tear streaming down her cheek. Pixie flew over to them, Genki's pale, limp, and bloody body in her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Episode 1: "The Mind of Evil"

4 years later…...

Holly sat alone on the ledge where her grandfather used to meditate. The pebbles around her glittered brightly, making her feel a little better.

Four years ago now. She thought. Genki, I still can't believe he died. I thought he would always be there. For me. For Yuji. Holly sighed. Poor Yuji. He barely even knew his father…

"Mommy!" Holly turned around. Yuji, now a skinny but strong 5-year-old, ran over to her. He gave Holly a hug. Holly didn't notice that the pebbles glew even brighter.

"Suezo said I could find you here!" Yuji said happily as Holly hugged him back. "C'mon, dinner's about ready!" Of course! How come Holly didn't know how late it was?

I probably lost track of time because it's the anniversary of when Genki died… Holly thought sadly. Yuji tugged on her pants leg impatiently.

"C'mon Mommy, let's go!" he said. Holly couldn't help but smile.

Just like his father. She thought. "Okay Yuji, I'm coming!" she said, following a hyperactive, speedy Yuji down the mountainside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holly, Yosho, Pixie, Big Blue, Golem, Coltia, Puck, and Achika sweated as Yuji and the other monsters ate their dinner rather messily. Yuji was gulping down his rice at lightning speed, just like Genki used to do. Tiger and Gray Wolf ate out of their plates like a couple of dogs. Mocchi gobbled down the rice balls, and Hare's plate was licked clean within five minutes.

Afterward, the group sat in a circle on the floor, chatting happily. Holly sat secluded from the others. She was curled up in a ball, crying on the inside, thinking about Genki. Suddenly, Big Blue made a suggestion.

"Hey! Why don't we all tell stories? There's nothing else to do." He said, smiling a little. And it might make Holly forget about it for a little while…

"Uh-huh." Yuji said. He looked at Holly. "Mommy, why don't you tell us a story, you're good at it!" Holly let go of her knees and looked at them.

"No. I couldn't…" she said.

"Sure you can! Hey, tell us something about Daddy! Like, what ever happened to him?" Yuji insisted. Holly didn't answer and looked away sadly.

So much for making Holly forget… Big Blue thought. A vein appeared on Suezo's head.

"YUJI!" he shouted, "WHY DON'T YOU GO WASH YOURSELF OFF?" Yuji looked confused.

"But I already did!" he replied bluntly. Another vein appeared on Suezo's head.

"THEN GO DO IT AGAIN!" he shouted.

"It's okay Suezo, I'll tell him." Holly said softly. Suezo looked at her sadly.

"But Holly…" he said. Tiger and Gray Wolf frowned.

"Do you think that's such a good idea telling him Holly, especially tonight?" Tiger asked. Holly smiled sadly.

"It's okay Tiger." She replied in her gentle voice. "It's about time he knew. Besides, I told his father about my other sadness', so it's only right for Yuji to hear this." Holly's face looked even sadder.

"It was raining that cold night…" she began, looking off into space. Everyone became silent as she spoke.

"…Then I asked Suezo and the others if they had seen your father. They hadn't. Big Blue came, telling me he was…he was…" Holly fought back the tears that were about to flow. "…he was dead. Pixie came over with your father's body in her arms." She finished. She looked down.

"Holly-chan…" Coltia whispered.

"And I try my best not to cry about it too often." Holly murmured.

"Holly…" Gray Wolf looked sad. Yuji went over to his mom as she started to cry.

"It's okay Mommy, I betcha Daddy's watching over us now." He said. Holly wiped her tears away and smiled sadly at her little son.

"I guess you're right…" she said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Master Moo, We have found where the spell book is that you have requested for." A Marble reported. "We wait for your permission to retrieve it."

"You have my word to go and get it." Moo said in his deep, evil voice. "Where is it exactly?" He asked the Marble.

"At the edge of a small village due north." The Marble replied. "Do you wish us to raid the village?"

"Don't bother." Moo replied. "We have more important things to worry about. Besides, if the villagers don't know we're there, then they won't worry too much about the book. In fact, I doubt they realize the book is there…I'll go with you to make sure you don't screw up." The Marble bit his lip nervously.

"Um, wouldn't people notice you?" He asked. Moo smiled as he sat up.

"No," He replied. "I'll keep myself hidden unless I have other reason not to, like you messing up." He threw his cloak on and pulled the black hood over his head, hiding his face.

"Let's go." He said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yuji splashed Tiger with a small wave of water. Tiger laughed and splashed him right back. Holly looked at them and shook her head.

"Hey you two! You're supposed to get water and bring it back to the house! Not soak yourselves with it!" Yuji and Tiger looked at each other, grinning slyly. Together, they took a whole bunch of water and soaked Holly with it. Holly was dripping wet.

"Oh, that's it!" She said. She took her bucket-full of water and dumped it on them. Tiger and Yuji laughed, and splashed her again. Holly splashed them back. The three of them began a water fight. It was times like these that made Holly forget her sadness…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"All right Marbles! Move out!" Captain Marble ordered as he grabbed the spell book. All was going according to plan…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suezo blinked once, then twice. His eye widened, and he went running out of the woods. He came up to Holly's house. She and the others were sitting out front, talking.

"HOOOLLLLLLYYYYY!" Suezo shouted. Everyone turned and stared at him as he skidded to a stop, gasping for air.

"The Hell-" Gray Wolf stared.

"What is it Suezo?" Holly asked, eyebrows cocked.

"Moo's…Marble Troops…are…taking…the some…strange…book." he panted.

"Strange book?" Achika asked.

"It...has…… some……kinda……talisman…..on…&helli p;the……front…..shaped….like……a&he llip;.bird……with…..a……staff…&hell ip;.and……sword…….crossed….together&helli p;…behind……it…. " Suezo gasped. Puck's eyes shot open.

"We must go get that book before Moo does!!!" He exclaimed.

"Is it really that important?" Holly asked.

"Very! We may as well put all the nations in the world in Moo's hands now if he gets that book!……which reminds me…..I have some important business to attend to…come on, Ghost! The rest of you, you must get that book!" He and Ghost disappeared as Holly and Coltia sweated before shooting up.

"That's reason enough! Where are they Suezo?!" Holly demanded. Suezo fell over and his eye became a spiral.

"T-they went…thataway…" Suezo mumbled, pointing south with his tail.

"Let's go!" Holly said to the others. Everyone nodded and got up, following Holly. Suezo suddenly sat up.

"HEY!!! WAIT FOR ME!!!" He cried, running after them. Yuji ran over to Holly.

"I wanna come too." He said. Holly shook her head.

"No," She said. "it's too dangerous. Pink Eye, watch Yuji for me." The pink Suezo nodded.

"All right, Holly-chan." She replied. Yuji saw there was no point in arguing, and stayed behind, though reluctantly.

With Tiger and Gray Wolf's super-smelling noses, and Suezo's binocular-like eye, the group found the Marbles in little time.

"ATTACK!" Tiger shouted. He and Gray Wolf leapt forward, followed by Mocchi, Golem, Hare, Pixie, Big Blue, Yosho, and Achika. The Marbles turned around, clearly surprised.

"How-" The Captain stuttered. He didn't get to finish. Hare kicked him hard in the face and the battle started. The goodies punched and kicked, the badies returning the blows. Finally, Tiger knocked the Captain down with a Torpedo attack, turning him into a Lost Disk. Big Blue went over and picked up the book next to the Captain's Lost Disk.

"Time to bring this back." He said. The others nodded and started to leave when a bolt of lightning thundered in the sky. Holly screamed and covered her head.

"Leaving so soon?" a loud evil voice asked. Everyone looked around.

"Who are you?" Gray Wolf asked in the direction of the voice. The evil voice laughed.

"Why Gray Wolf, I'm your old master, Moo." The voice replied. Gray Wolf and Tiger growled loudly.

"SHOW YOURSELF!" Gray Wolf demanded.

"Not yet my hasty friend." Moo replied. "I'll show myself when I feel like it."

"What do you want?" Tiger shouted. "If you're trying to destroy our village, we won't let you!" Moo laughed his sinister laugh.

"Ha! I don't need to bother with your puny village! I have bigger cities to take care of first before I bother with your home! Besides, I could defeat you all easily. You have run out of Phoenixes, and the body I posses now is the strongest I have had yet! Even more powerful than Holly's, or her Phoenix essence I once took!"

"What poor soul have you used now?" Yosho asked angrily. Moo stepped out of the shadows in front of them. He wore his dark cloak with the hood, still hiding his face.

"How can we tell who the Hell you are when you wear that damn thing?" Pixie asked, getting really mad. Moo laughed.

"Well, if you really must know…" He said. He threw back his hood. Everyone gasped. Holly fell to her knees in shock.

"GENKI?!" She cried. Moo/Genki laughed evilly.

"That's right!" He shouted. "And with his power, I control the Phoenix! You can't stop me now!"

"But it can't be!" Hare exclaimed. "Genki died years ago! We even buried his body!" Moo/Genki's eyes flashed a dark red as he laughed.

"That was not the real Genki!" He said, as if that was obvious. "That was a quick-clone I made!" Golem cocked an eyebrow.

"Quick. Clone?" He asked.

"It's an attack I made." Moo/Genki quickly explained. "I took over Genki, and with my powers, made an exact 'clone' of him. It was used to make you think he was dead. Those clones come in handy. But, they can only be used when faking death." Tiger roared and leapt forward.

"All right! Bring it on!" He growled. "I'm ready!" Moo/Genki smiled evilly at the Tiger.

"I could kill you with one hand." He glared at Holly. "Even though the Blue Phoenix is with you, the remaining power of a goddess, you are nowhere nearly as strong as me!" He said smugly. He walked over to a still in shock Big Blue and snatched the spell book out of his grasp. "I'll take this." He said. "I've wasted too much time with you weaklings. It's time I go." And, with a swish of his cloak, he was gone. Tears streamed down Holly's face.

"No……" she weeped. Holly let the tears silently flow. Then, she looked up, her teeth gritted, and her eyes glaring. There was no doubt that her expression was one of pure hate and fury. Holly clenched her fist.

"It's on now Moo, " Holly whispered loudly. "and this time it's really, really personal!" Holly rose to her feet.

"Looks like it's time for another journey." She said. Suezo looked at her.

"Didn't you hear him Holly?" He asked. "He said there were no more Phoenixes. How can we beat him? Even with your powers…"

"There's got to be another Phoenix!" Holly cried. "There's got to be!"

"I'm afraid Moo is right." A voice said suddenly behind them. Everyone jumped. They all turned around. It was none other than the mischievous Puck and Ghost. Puck hovered upside-down above their heads.

"God, I HATE when you do that Puck!" Holly exclaimed, hand over her heart like she was about to have a heart attack. Puck sweated.

"Sooo sorry!" he said. "But like I said, Moo's right, you've run out of Phoenixes. There were only two." He turned right side up and stopped hovering. Holly looked devastated.

"But then…that means we can't get Genki back…" She said sadly.

"This sucks." Hare muttered. The others murmured in agreement.

"There. No way. To win." Golem added.

"Damn that Moo!" Pixie exclaimed. Puck looked thoughtful.

"Actually, there might be a way to defeat him and bring Genki back…" He trailed off. Holly pulled on the collar of his robe and shook him.

"How Puck? How?" she asked. Puck sweated.

"Um, could you let go of me first, Holly-chan?" He asked. Holly apologized and let go of him. Puck dusted himself off and continued.

"There is an ancient legend about the creator of the Fire Phoenix." He said.

"What do you mean, 'creator of the Fire Phoenix'?" Pixie asked.

"I mean, the Phoenix wasn't a normal monster," Puck replied. "he wasn't born; he was created."

"But we know that already!" Tiger exclaimed. "A bunch of scientists created him! Monol told us!"

"Ah, that is only part of the story, however…" Puck replied. "Someone else was really behind the Phoenix's creation…"

"Someone else?" Suezo asked. Puck nodded.

"Hai. Seisakusha was his name. He was more powerful than both the Phoenixes put together. He was a mighty sorcerer, even greater than me." Puck explained. "He created the Fire Phoenix to protect all the innocent….and partially to end the Ancient Wars…But, as you know, the Final Gate was made to separate Moo's mind and body, and it did the same to the Phoenix."

"So what happened to him?" Suezo asked.

"Seisakusha was not without enemies." Puck said. "His greatest rival, Aku, was a master at Dark Magic. He was always out to get Seisakusha. One day, Aku faked his own death. Seisakusha suspected trickery, and was on his guard for quite a while. But Aku was smarter than that. He made sure no one heard of him. After ten long years, Seisakusha finally relaxed and let his guard down, despite his family's warnings. One night, while he was sleeping, Aku came to him and cast a spell on him. He would sleep forever, trapped in a green Mystery Disk until someone unlocked him."

"What happened to Aku?" Achika asked. Puck thought a moment before responding.

"He tried an Energy Yo to take over a kingdom. It was too much so he killed himself. Not too smart."

"Where is Seisakusha's Disk now, Puck-sama?" Coltia questioned.

"It is believed to be hidden in a temple far away from here." Puck retorted. "Finding it is hard enough, since it only appears once every month. Even if you do find the temple, getting the disk is even harder.

"The temple has a whole series of deathtraps inside of it. Not to mention a whole bunch of super monsters who guard every inch of it."

"Okay, our options suck." Pixie stated flatly. "Journey to a suicide temple, or let a Genki-Moo take over the world."

"I'd take the journey any day." Holly said. "So, who's gonna come with me?"

"I'll go anywhere with Holly." Suezo said. Tiger and Gray Wolf looked at each other and then nodded.

"We're in. Anything to get Genki back, Holly-chan." Gray Wolf said.

"I'm coming." Pixie said. "I'm not letting that damned Moo control Genki."

"Big Blue go with Master Pixie." Big Blue replied.

"Golem go." Golem said.

"I'll go, after all, I'm the one who told you about it." Puck said. "And besides, I think it'll be fun!" Everyone but Puck and Ghost sweated.

"If Puck-sama's going, I'm going too." Coltia said. Achika smiled.

"I don't go anywhere without Coltia." She said.

"I'm up to the challenge!" Hare exclaimed.

"Mocchi go! Chi!" Mocchi said.

"I'm getting too old for this." Yosho said. "Sorry, but I'll only slow you down. I'll stay home." Holly smiled a little.

"All right then. We set off tomorrow. Everyone, get ready tonight." She said. The others nodded and started back home, except Hare, who stopped for a moment to think.

"Say, Holly," he started.

"Yes, Hare?" Holly asked.

"Do you have any idea why Moo didn't just take Genki's essence of his Phoenix powers like he did with you a few years back?" Holly was silent a moment before answering.

"Hare, I honestly don't know…"

"I thought so…well, maybe we'll find out soon, hai?" Hare hopped off.

"Yeah…" she said to herself quietly before heading back herself. Yuji greeted Holly when she got back.

"Hey Mommy!" He said happily. "Didja get the book back?" Holly shook her head.

"No, but we beat the Marbles. It's a start." Holly went inside, Yuji right behind her. Yuji stared at her as she packed her stuff away in her pouch and Suezo's "backpack".

"Whatcha doin' Mommy?" He asked.

"I'm going on a journey tomorrow, Yuji." Holly told him. "I want you to stay here with Pink Eye."

"But why?" Yuji complained. "I wanna come!" Holly shook her head.

"No. It's too risky for you." She said. "Now, come on, it's getting late. Time for you to go to bed."

"Awww, man…" Yuji whined as he left the room. Holly smiled.

He reminds me so much of Genki. She thought. She looked out the window and at the evening sky, eyes wavering. Don't worry Genki-chan, we're gonna save you and get rid of Moo once and for all…

Holly-chan's note: Yes, there is another Phoenix called the Cinder Bird. In this fic, he doesn't exist……yet…

I hope this didn't suck too bad…I tried to edit my horrible writing best as possible….

Oh, and as always, reviews are greatly appreciated! Flames will be used to warm my basement room (Yes, I live in a basement…) However, constructive criticism and suggestions are always welcome! ^_^ I have about 10 chapters (Well, 8…CP did 2, and SL helped with a few…) done, but I'm only gonna upload a few at a time until I get about 5 reviews, around my normal policy. But this time, it's five reviews for each chapter! I'm evil, ne?