Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ The Power of the Stones ❯ Returning ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2: "Returning"

In the east side of the park, he stood next to Garuda, only reaching about his chest in height. He whore a black cloak that ended half way between his knees and his ankles, it served well to hide his sword (that hung at his waist) and keep him warm. Visible just bellow the cloak you could see that he was wearing dark semi-loose blue jeans and a pair of black high cut tennis shoes. Under the cloak he whore a loose fitting light blue short-sleeved shirt. He also whore a pair of black leather gloves, making it easer to keep a firm grip on his sword.

His hair was longer then it had been when he was 11, him now being 14. The dark brown spikes now hung down to the bridge of his nose. His hair was mostly brown, except for the three streaks of flashing silver, one in the center of his mess of hair and the other two were to the right of this. His eyes, visible in between the brown spikes, where still their clear dark brown. He still wore his orange cap with the letter G, and it sat on his head in the way he always had worn it. Backward.

He didn't need to be wearing the cloak, really. Where they where going it would be warm. Unless it was raining of course, but hopefully it wouldn't be. Holly never did like the rain and Golem had never liked it all that much either.

Actually, he wouldn't even be wearing the cloak if Garuda and Moonriver hadn't insisted that he did. Hiding his sword was one thing; it could point him out as being hostel, it being a weapon and all. Actually, now that he thought about it, the sword itself was kind of senseless. A Monster attack was much more powerful then a wimpy sword and his attacks where up there on the scale; power wise. He had learned to summon his power by will during the four years the Dark One's rein, then instead of by instincts; like how he had called his 'Enrage' and 'Flame cannon' attacks while in his stay in the Monster World. His controle over his power could use some work though.

Moonriver and Garuda had insisted that he ware the cloak not only to hide his sword and for warmth, but also to hide his wings. He had argued that him walking around with wings would be okay; he simply could pass of as a male type of Pixie. Which did existed, rare, but they did exist. Unlike in the Monster Rancher video game, where there was none. As for Garuda it was quiet obvious of what his sub bread was. Garuda had simply said it would be much easier and draw less attention if he walked around looking human then if he tried to pass off as a male Pixie.

Yes. He had wings. He had practecly dead of shock when he had awakend after binging revieved with the Spirit Stone, and all of a soudend had a pair of wings on his back. At first his wings had ben very acwerd, not to menchen that his back had hert constently for months on end. Garuda had said that him having wings could be expected. After all, he had basecly fused with the Silver Phoenix; it had been nessesary in order to heal him.

After the pain in his back had seast, and he had gotten somewhat used to having wings, he had to go throw what he liked to call Flying 101. Where Moonriver used the packs ellience with a group of Pixies to get him flying lessens. Flying, or going out in the opened in the city was now considerd safe, no one having hered anything about the 'Dake One' for more the a year. There was a roumer that he had dead or been killed, which Garuda had seid that such things where fulse and wernt going to happen any time soon.

Now that he thought about it, he had changed a lot since his first trip to the Monster World. But he wasn't the only one to change; his native world had changed as well, though for the worst.

Where there had been beautiful buildings, there were now landmarks of destruction. He's whole world looked like a battlefield after the battle. The battle had been Humans vs. Monsters, and the humans had been on the losing side.

The Dark One's forces had struck so quickly that most of the destruction had been done before any military could strike back effectively; and it wasn't like they could of fought back even if they wanted to, since most of them fell under the Dark Ones power the day he crossed over into the human world. Once the Dark One's power touched someone, it was all most impossible to break his control over some one once he had them. Actually it was unheard of..

He, himself, had lost everything when the Dark One came. He'd always remember the first weeks after the Dark One had first attacked where he lived. Killing all his friends and family...

"Genki? Are you ready?" Moonriver asked, bringing him back to the present. Genki blinked once, twice and than the question finally registered and he half forced a smile. He looked from Moonriver to Garuda and then to the glowing swirls of colors a few paces in front of him. Light reds, blues, yellows, greens, and white. It was the gateway that Moonriver had been trying to opening for the last five minuets with her Wind Stone. A gateway to the Monster World.

"You bet I am!" And with that, Genki ran towards the gate, calling out with his old enthusiasm, "See you when we get back, River!" over his shoulder as he entered the gate. Random thoughts about if Holly, Granity (Pixie), or any of his other friends that he met in the Monster World would recognize him or not. Would he even be able to find any of them, and would they be all right? He hoped so.

Moonriver sighed, and then turned to Garuda. "Are you sure you'll be able to handle him?" Garuda looked from the portal to the White Hound that stood next to him.

"You're asking me, if a can handle a 14-year-old child? You must be joking." Then he too entered the gate, leaving Moonriver alone in the east side of the park. She chuckled lightly, "Its harder than you think, Garuda. You two just come back alive..."

"Starting the game before I say you can? So very rude," a voice whispered from behind her.

Moonriver tensed and turned to face the one that had spoken. A young man about seventeen was leaning up against an old shakura tree, the black stone that hung around his neck was pulsing ever so faintly.

" Dark One..." Moonriver gasped, the Wind Stone hanging around her neck taking on a rich white glow.

He cocked his head to the right; his dark red eyes flashed crimson, and a twisted smile slowly slid on to his lips. "Now, the games can begin."

A squadron of about nine or ten Night Flyers (Pixie/Worms), then flew out of the cover of the trees. Three Big Bang attacks were powered up; signaling the beginning of the battle Moonriver was about to take part in. Whether she wanted to or not.

* * *

Genki smiled to himself as he looked over the landscape of the Monster World. To his left there was a thick green forest and to his right there where green hills and fields. The sky was clear blue and it was a warm and sunny day. There was barely any wind, too. It was a perfect day!

Laughing in the joy and in the shear energy that was now coursing threw him, he did a backward flip in the air and dived towards the earth that was a good 200 feet below him. Spreading and angling his wings to slow his speed, he came to a lazy glide next to Garuda. They where now traveling (or Garuda was) on a dirt road that would take them to the closest town.

"Do you have to do that?" Garuda asked him, arching an eyebrow. He walked with long, quick strides, one that would be quit difficult for Genki to keep up with if he hadn't been flying. Genki grinned and crossed his arms, his cloak now in his black backpack. His pack had snapping buckles on the shoulder straps, making it easer to take off and on, normal backpacks being almost impossible to get on over his wings. All he had in it was a water bottle, some food, a blanket and his cloak.

"Your just jealous you're too heavy to fly."

"Someone is going to see you, the way your wings reflect the sunlight like that," Garuda answered in what Genki called his `lecture voice'.

Frowning Genki looked ahead. So what if his wings tended to be a little flashy? Personally he thought they where cool! Okay...so maybe they where a pain sometimes, but hey, he could beat (or at least he thought he could) any Pixie or Dragon in the air, any time! Grinning at the thought of challenging Falcon or Granity (Pixie) to a race, he shot back, "Its not like you don't stick out like a sore thumb, and there's no one around for miles!"

"Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they're not there," Garuda stated simply, frowning in thought.

"Oh YES, wise Obi-Wan Kanobi! Lets use the force to sense out our opponents!!"

Stopping in his stride Garuda frown, "Obi- what?" Genki landed and turned to the Keeper of the Water Stone, his clear eyes lit up with shock.

"You know, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Darth Vader??" when Genki still saw the confused look on Garuda's face, he decided to try the one line that every one had to know, even if they hated Star Wars. Cupping his hands over his mouth, he breathed deep three times then he said in a muffled voice, "Luke, I am your father!" The result to this was only a more baffled look from Garuda. Genki sweat dropped at the fact that Garuda had been in his world for four years and had never once heard of Star Wars and as a result, for the next hour and 45 minuets, Genki told Garuda ALL about Star Wars and the force, as they made there way down the dirt road.

* * *

As they entered to rather large town Genki noticed with growing nervousness that quiet a few people stopped to watch them as they passed and for the first time was thankful that Garuda had insisted that he cover his wings again before they entered the town. People and Monsters would eye them wearily, as Garuda and him walked passed with booths with people buying and selling various goods.

At first Genki had thought it was Garuda's appearance that was drawing the attention, but now he got a feeling that it was something else all together, though he couldn't think of what it could be.

"I don't think they welcome visitors," Garuda mumbled, his green, foggy eyes sweeping the crowds for any signs of hostility. Genki looked at the warrior out of the corner of his eyes.

"Yeah. Well, we need gold and battling is the quickest way to get some. Are you afraid you'll get beat or something?" Genki asked grinning.

"Whatever. Lets just get this thing over with," Garuda answered, his voice sounding slightly insulted.

Nodding his head Genki stopped in front of a booth selling mangoes, apples, and other kinds of fruit. Garuda stopped too and stood a little ways behind him. An old man dressed in faded reds and violets walked up to him, and like the others, eyed him wearily.

"Excuse me, mister, but could you tell me if there are any Monster Battles, or Tournaments going on today in your town's coliseum?" Genki asked as politely as he could.

The old man again eyed him wearily, his eyes drifting to his chest. Or more specifically, the Spirit Stone that hung there out in plane vow. And as Genki watched the old pair of eyes, they traveled over to Garuda and stayed there for a few moments, his eyes filling with something Genki couldn't quite place.

The old man then looked him in the eyes again, his white eyebrows drawn together, wrinkling his forehead even more then it all ready was.

"Yes, there's one today. In fact it should be starting very soon," The old man said, none of the confusion and curiosity in his eyes entering his voice as his old eyes shifted between Genki and Garuda.

Genki got the feeling that the old man was nervise, if not alittle afread. But way would he...?

"Come on Genki, we need to register for that Tournament," Garuda called, his emerald eyes locked firmly with the old man's, almost like he was telling the man not to say anything further.

As soon as Garuda had said his name, Genki noticed the old man's eye brows lift in seprise and confusion. The man looked like he was about to say somthing else, but was interupted by Garuda telling him to hery.

"Thank you," Genki said, backing away and then, turning towards Garuda, Genki shook his head and gently reached up and touched the cool surface of the silver stone that hung at his neck, and as his leather covered fingers swept over its smooth surface it flickered to life for a brief moment.

~*~*~

Miles and miles away, a blood red shard-one of five-flickered and began to glow. The glowing shard hung on a dark golden chain, the chain its self was just barley visible, and contrasted greatly with the blue furred neck it rested around. Slowly the monster's sharp red eyes opened, as the glowing grew brighter; the red fragment notifying its holder of another Stones presence.

To be continued.