Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Butterflies and Blizzards ❯ The First Hurdle ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

It was disorientating, waking up and it still being dark. It was just before dawn. She only had 15 minutes to get up, get dressed and get some blessed coffee before training began. This was going to be difficult.

She closed her eyes as she laid there, trying to remember the layout of the student quarters. It was a dormitory so bunk beds lined the wall, spaced out so students can move in and out without bumping into each other.

She bunked with Safiyah against the wall at the end. There were of course footlockers at the end of each bunk and each student used one half. Her stuff was on the left side, near the wall.

The door wasn't that far from her bunk, it was...three...no...four beds down.

She smiled. If she could memorize placements and maybe start counting her steps also, than it would make this so much easier.

She sighed, she needed to get up and get moving.

It wouldn't do to be late for my first full day of training.

"Safiyah? I need some coffee."

Her friend grumbled sleepily. "Then get it. Its too damn early for me."

Izzy giggled, and kicked the mattress above her.

"See ya...well, you know...talk to you later."

/  -  /  -  /  -  / 

Kuai stood at the other side of the courtyard waiting for her to emerge.

He felt uneasy...she was his first student after Frost. He did not want past events to repeat themselves. He would strive to be a better teacher this time.

"She's not Frost, you know that right?"

He turned to look at his brother.

"I know."

"But you are thinking of Frost. Isabeau is a tough woman. I mean she made it this far with a missing eye. The first few weeks might be tough for both of you but you'll fall back into the rhythm of teaching once again."

"I failed Frost. Was too harsh on her at times. I do not want to push away another promising prospect."

Bi-Han rested a hand on his shoulder as Isabeau emerged from the door. She was tilting her head back and right, as if listening. When she took a tentative step forward and then immediately side-stepped a torch he chuckled.

"It seems as if the training is already paying off. She was always running out the door late for training and she would always knock that torch over, making her even more late."

"Did that happen every day?"

His brother nodded.

"And you did not punish her for her tardiness?"

Bi-Han laughed, "Of course I did. Twenty laps every morning. And she took the punishment, without question."

He turned to walk away, but paused, looking back. "She is not Frost, brother, so do not compare the two. Isabeau might just surprise you."

Kuai nodded. Bi-Han was right. He must judge her on her own skill not on the skill of another.

He watched her for a few moments more before he squared his shoulders.

'Time to test your reflexes.'

His hands turned to ice.

/  -  /   -   /  -  /

She didn't knock the torch over. 'Yes!'

Distant laughter caught her attention and she turned toward it. That had sounded like Master Bi-Han. 

A sudden uneasy feeling crept up her spine. Something was off.

She took a step forward and something wet and cold hit her in the face. Her hands came up and swiped at the coldness and sighed exasperated.

Of course he would.

"Did you just throw a snowball at me?"

Another one hit her.

"Learn to listen better."

"Master..."

Another snowball.

She groaned, this was going to be a long day.

Taking a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and tried to listen. It was quiet...so quiet. She could only hear the wind when it picked up. He threw another at her and it hit her shoulder.

Wait...the breeze. She focused on it...there! She dodged to the left right into the oncoming snowball.

'Wrong way. Damn it!'

Kuai watched her from the opposite side of the courtyard, moving to different marks before throwing the snowballs. When she dodged directly into the snowball...he nodded in approval.

She was a quick study. Already figuring out that he was using the breeze to cover the sound of the snowball being thrown. Now if she could figure out the direction as well...but proficiency would come with time and practice.

Izzy stepped into another snowball and she sneezed before taking another step forward.

"Be patient with yourself. It will come."

"Well hopefully before I catch a cold."

He chuckled.

She would be fine.

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

She sneezed again, sinking into the hot spring with a groan.

"Oh that wasn't fun."

"You look like hell, Izzy."

She jumped, "Safi! Oh geez, I wasn't paying attention!"

Her friend laughed, "I know. You've been more worried about sneezing. You've been in here for half an hour."

"What!? I have to get something to eat and go to bed! More snowballs tomorrow...oh joy."

"Snowballs?"

"Yep, he's testing my reflexes at the same time..."

"With snowballs?"

"Yes, we've already established that. Its not ice to tease."

"Oh god, only a few days with him and you're already using ice puns?"

"Me and my brother used to do it all the time when we were little. It made my mom laugh."

"Oh Izzy."

She smiled softly, "Its alright. I'm alright."

"Okay, well I figured you would have a tough time today so I left a treat on your bed."

She perked up, "Oh please tell me..."

"Hot fudge sundae."

"I love you."

"I know...I know...I'm the best."

She scrambled to get out and nearly fell, but Safi caught her. "Okay, okay, slow down! Its not going anywhere."

Isabeau shook her head. "This is a good note to end the night on...thank you, Safi."

She smacked her shoulder and laughed. "You and that sweet tooth of yours."

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

"Snowballs?" Bi-Han questioned him.

"They don't hurt unless I harden them and I'm just trying to keep her reflexes sharp as she learns to live without her sight."

"So on top of blindfolding her...you are going to be attacking her every day? Just to keep her reflexes sharp?"

"Yes. It will work in awareness of self as well."

He nodded, "That's might actually work. not being able to use her sight will force her to rely on her other senses instead while sharpening her attention to the tiniest details. You may be onto something there."

He slapped his brother's shoulder, "You actually put some thought into this. At first I just thought you agreed because she was cute."

"Bi-Han..."

"What? She is cute. Curvy too."

"She is my student and you will be respectful in your tone, brother."

"Sorry, little brother."

Kuai groaned, "I wish you would stop calling me that."

"Never...little brother."

"That's not ice."

Bi-Han sighed, "Damned ice puns."