Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Last Resort ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
thoughts

amplified thoughts/meanings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

Time: before Third Shinobi War

*Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort
Suffocation, no, no breathing
Don't give a fuck
If I cut my arm bleeding
This is my last resort

Cut my life into pieces
I've reached my last resort
Suffocation, no breathing
Don't give a fuck
If I cut my arm bleeding
Do you even care if I die bleeding?*

Her breathe escaping in a heavy sigh, a sound that was resigned with a tendril of amused torment at the lyrics which whispered in her mind from a memory of long ago, eyelids flickered briefly against the hot prickle that threatened to become worst and give away the turmoil of emotions that still plagued her thoughts at times like this. She had missed this... the chance to listen to music through the use of an ipod, the head phones over her ears and blocking out everything but the noise. Though the device was old and battered, having literally seen preverbal better days, it still worked well enough that it could play the half dozen or so records which had survived this long. But the music... as rough as her thoughts... only reminded her of how she missed the silly little toys that her friends had tried to shove into her hands at every given chance, trying to make her more 'hip' so that she belonged as more than a pretty girl standing like a wallflower amongst the crowd. But she had long since ceased to be the little wall-flower, nothing more than a meek and pathetically weak girl who had barely been capable of stringing two sentences together.

Sighing again, knowing now after searching for a number of years to try and understand why she was in this world... and coming to understand that there was no way to return to her own world as she was now... lithe fingers reached for the head phones plucking them away from the right ear as the sound of something tickled her senses... even through the noise... and demanded her attention. When the noise was repeated... a sound like feet moving, but hundreds of hundreds of feet all tramping together, azure eyes flashed open considering the vacant heavens that stretched from one horizon to another... endless blue streaked here and there with darker ashen gray marks along the north which indicated that the storm which had been predicted was actually approaching. A storm. She didn't bother fighting the downwards twitch of lips wondering if it was a preverbal storm... complete with lightning and thunder... or was that ashen gray a hint of the figurative storm that was brewing in the depths of everyone's mind now that Ja had gone missing.

Ja. The name meant magnetic and certainly fit well for his abilities... great enough that he had been capable of emulating the one tailed beast's power as a means of creating 'iron' or magnetized sands as a means of attacking whomever was foolish enough to go up against the Village of the Sands. But more Kagome supposed the name, which couldn't possibly have been his birth name though everyone used it was such familiarity as to indicate if it was a nickname it had become so commonplace as to replace the other's original namesake, happened to be attributed to the charmastic personality that the handsomely tanned man possessed. He was someone whose disappearance had disturbed the entire Village... he was that well lived... even if the times Kagome had had the fortune of meeting the four or five year old man he had come across as a lady's man... flirting with a shameless good nature that held no real seriousness to the sly wordplay.

Which was a good thing the Village leader's wife would behead whoever thought of accepting the offer in those teasing smirks Ja showed.

*Would it be wrong or
Would it be right
If I took my life tonight
Chances are that I might
Mutilation out of sight
And I'm contemplating suicide

'Cause I'm losing my sight, losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine
Losing my sight, losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine*

A shift of movement, a sense of someone approaching not quite as stealthly as could be warranted, tore at Kagome Higurashi's attention and her fingers reached for the iphod that was resting just underneath her breasts... in the arch where breastbone gave way to the gentle sloop of an almost non-existent stomach though stilled from immediately cutting off the music before whomever it was that was approaching her happened to get too close. It wasn't necessarily that she was frightened of whomever was approaching, Kagome had long since shed her inability as a means of defending herself... probably around the same time that she had lost whatever shards of 'innocence' she had possessed concerning some who had once been her 'allies'... as it was more she simply didn't want to be caught off guard. The last time she had been caught off guard her 'ward', handed to her by a grim-faced Third Hokage, had ended up loosing half of that gravity-defying silver tinged hair of his.

Though it served Kakashi right, lips twitched again though this time into a slight smirk. The youngster... who with his father's death had become Kagome's responsibility... had obviously thought her throughly asleep and tried to fool her. Unfortunately for the young Hakate she didn't 'sleep' in the same meaning as human beings anymore.

It was, she knew now, because of the accursed Shikon no Tama. Though the gemstone was sealed, its once brilliant rosy hue having dulled to a deep carmine like that of blood which had been left to dry out in the open for days on end, and which could be found at the center of the necklace... so positioned that it was directly underneath her chin or between her breasts depending on the vantage point... there was no denying that the marble-sized gemstone was responsible for her finding herself isolated from the era of feudal Japan and though her quest was finished not returned to her own world. It was her curse for not wishing upon the gemstone... as the demonic essence trapped within the Shikon no Tama had wanted... for if she had wished upon the stone than Kagome would have taken the place of her foremother, the Shikon's creator, while Naraku would have taken the place of the demon within the stone... cursed to fight for all eternity.

And the world would have been doomed. Without the allies of older times, or the power once possessed for much had been sacrificed by the ancient miko to contain the demon within the Shikon no Tama, the ancient miko... of whom Kagome was descended from, instead of the widely accepted belief that she was the incarnate of the brown eyed Kikyo... would have died.

For that Kagome had ended up here. Corrupted by the Shikon no Tama's presence, and her own dispair, she was no longer entirely human. She was what this world called a Jinchuuriki... though that wasn't the proper term as she was no 'vessel' through which some mindless tailed 'beast' was capable of inacting its fury upon the world. No she was a demon... white furred and amber eyed, as beautiful as how Sesshomaru had been handsome in the other's true form. However that she was a demon was a sore point for Kagome... not because it meant she would never be capable of returning to her original home... but because it meant that her adoptive brother had died somewhere and sometime that Kagome would never be capable of reaching. The inu-youkai had adopted her into his family and formed a unique, and ancient, blood bond which ensured that if he was ever to perish Kagome was to inherit the 'essence' that made up the dog demon... becoming a dog demon in exchange of his death, to protect herself.

No Kagome had found that she wasn't necessarily 'human' anymore when she had come to this world.

Almost crushed to death underneath a bumbling goof of a blonde haired teenager who had fallen through the wall surrounding the ancient and weather-beaten well... having been trying to avoid a retaliative strike from the other's fellow village member and 'rival' with respect to their skills... and trapped within the depths of the world which the blonde and the other's friends, family, allies alike happened to call home. It had taken Kagome a while to understand that the necklace around her neck... so much akin to the subduing necklace which had adorned Inuyasha's neck only that the colors were a muted silver on black instead... was something that she nor for that matter anyone would be capable of removing as she happened to be drawing breathe through her lungs. And as she wasn't human anymore, having gained a severe advantage over her 'mortal' self, it meant that achieving death would be harder for her than before.

*I never realized, I was spread too thin
Till it was too late and I was empty within
Hungry feeding on chaos and living in sin
Downward spiral, where do I begin

It all started when I lost my...
No love for myself and no love for another
Searching to find a love upon a higher level
Finding nothing but questions and devils*

None know though... even as a youngster Kagome had not been foolish enough to let what could be her enemies know of that secret within her veins. Now... years later... only a select few knew and they had promised to take that secret to their graves.

As it was Kagome had been eighteen upon coming to this world. And in the passing years had learnt enough control over her inner beast that Kagome no longer ran the risk of transforming into her alter half unless the need should arise. But then there was no need just yet. Though people widely, and a little ignorantly, feared the tailed beasts most of them themselves were nothing more... from the history that Kagome had gleaned in becoming the Third Hokage's last student once she had been given the 'all clear' and an almost honorary chance of joining the Village hidden in the Leaves as the forest-bound village was known... demonic 'fragments' that had developed a persona of their own. Like Naraku's detachments. Of those that Kagome had read up on only a handful of the 'tailed beasts' were actual demons... the one tailed raccoon, the two tailed cat, the five tailed dog, the eight headed snake, and the nine tailed fox.

"Hey."

The voice tore at Kagome's thoughts, pulling her mind from her encounter with the orochi... bizarre but interesting in the primal sense of how the other had such 'control' of his unique powers... azure eyes, a hint of the european blood in her veins and which Kagome had always thought proved she was not Kikyo's simple incarnation, lifting so that they could consider the woman who had come to block the incredible view from the top of the Hokage Mount. The eyes that met hers were a distinctive sort of smoky lavender, violet streaked with enough gray that the orbs themselves seemed to alternate between the two shades depending on how the light struck the other's eyes themselves, and were almost as interesting as the strands of vibrant reddish hair frame a lightly hued face. She and the other woman were roughly the same age and like Kagome herself Kushina Uzumaki had become quite a eye-catching sight with maturity.

Kushina was one of those that Kagome trusted with her secret. For the other was the Jinchuuriki... the mortal 'vessel'... of the nine-tailed fox. It was because of that reason, Kagome supposed, as to why so quickly after she had found herself within this world that the kunoichi had treated her like a sister. It was a welcome particularly when but five years ago she had been as ignorant to this world as a preverbal new born babe.

"Hey." In the muffled quiet that had followed the turning off of the music, Kagome's voice seemed a little overly loud. "What are you doing here, I thought you were with blondie?"


Converting /tmp/phpqYbFws to /dev/stdout