Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ Broken ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Agent's Spiel:
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Broken
Rin and Naruto had made it half way to the gate by the time Kakashi and Jiraiya had caught up. It had taken Kakashi almost a minute after they left to revive Jiraiya and then they had had to move even faster to compensate. Rin squeaked when she felt Naruto's hand slip from her grip and she turned around just in time to see Kakashi throw Naruto over his shoulder and grin at her before he took off to the gate. A moment later she squeaked again when Jiraiya ran up next to her and swept her off her feet, literally. He quickly caught up to Kakashi still holding a rather irate and struggling Rin.
 
The two completely ignored the gate guards and the gate as they jumped over the wall and onto the roofs of Konoha. They reached Hokage Tower rather quickly taking this route and the two dashed up the steps still carrying their cargo. By the time they reached the top Rin had begun yelling again. “You stupid, stupid pervert put me down now!!” she shouted just as they stopped outside the door to Tsunade's office.
 
When Kakashi turned around to look at the two Naruto knocked on the door and then quietly asked, “Kakashi-sensei, could you put me down?” This line immediately stopped the impending argument between Rin and Jiraiya as both turned to look at Naruto in concern. Kakashi immediately set Naruto down in front of him and bent over to inspect him.
 
The most shocked of course was Tsunade who had opened her door just as Naruto spoke; the meek and surprised look on his face was enough to concern those who knew him well, even if it was just through the stories of others as Rin had proven. “Naruto-kun, are you okay?” Tsunade asked gently, announcing her presence to the group that had been studying the young Genin.
 
Naruto spun around and slapped a smile on his face as he shouted his greeting, “Sure I am, Tsunade-baba.” Everyone blinked at Naruto's sudden mood swing; Tsunade shrugged and turned towards the others raising an eyebrow slightly at Jiraiya. He quickly dropped Rin, eliciting a shout of, “You damn pervert,” from the floored girl.
 
All she could do was smile and usher the group into her office as she wondered exactly what was going on. The minute the door closed she spun around voiced that exact thought, “What the hell happened out there?”
 
Naruto flinched slightly at her angry tone before grinning nervously at her and looking towards the others for help. Unfortunately, they were also looking at him rather expectantly. Naruto scratched the back of his head nervously before starting, “We were all at the river and Kisame attacked.”
 
“I know that already Naruto; Lee told us. What happened after he left?” Tsunade said rather impatiently, “More importantly what happened to cause that chakra surge?”
 
“Oh that…,” Naruto said while glancing at his feet, “Well Kisame performed the Suiton Suiryuudan no Jutsu and aimed it at Sakura…so I pushed her out of the way.” He looked to the side as if that were the end of the story.
 
After a few moments Tsunade grew impatient, “Then what?” she finally shouted.
 
Naruto fidgeted slightly as he went on, “Well I couldn't get out of the way in time…,” he said, causing Tsunade's eyes to widen slightly, “so the Kyuubi's chakra reacted and took most of the impact.”
 
“That would explain the burst we felt,” Tsunade whispered as she stared at Naruto and beckoned for him to continue.
 
His fidgeting increased, causing the others to grow slightly concerned. “Well after the attack faded I drew on a bit more of his chakra and prepared to attack. I figured help was on its way so all I had to do was distract him; then Kakashi showed up and Kisame left,” he ended rather abruptly.
 
Kakashi and Jiraiya were openly staring at Naruto in disbelief, while Rin's concern had grown rather visible as she walked over to Tsunade and whispered, “Sakura saw him; she flinched. Also Itachi was there.”
 
If possible Tsunade's eyes grew wider as she turned her gaze toward Naruto. His eyes were downcast as he ignored the others; Tsunade watched him for a moment before walking to the door. She opened it just enough to speak to one of the workers outside and ask, “Could you go get Shizune for me?” She then turned around and allowed silence to take over the group until Shizune arrived a few minutes later.
 
“I'm sorry it took me so long to get here the gate guards are saying that two shinobi entered the city over the wall. It looked like they were carrying people and not too long ago they felt a large chakra burst from the forest and wanted know if someone had been sent to check it out,” she said as she walked in not quite comprehending the guilty looks on Kakashi and Jiraiya's faces, or the angry look Tsunade had just sent them. “You did call for me, right?” she added when she noticed the group that had been gathered and Tsunade's lack of response to her earlier statement.
 
“Yes, could you take Naruto down the hall and check him over. He was injured earlier and I want to be sure everything has healed,” Tsunade said, looking over to where Naruto was still standing quietly much to everyone's shock.
 
“Of course Tsunade-sama; come with me Naruto-kun,” Shizune said as she looked up at Tsunade with confusion. She then turned and walked back towards the door with Naruto right behind her.
 
“Bring him back here when you're done,” Tsunade said just as they walked out the door. After they left Tsunade turned back to the others, “What exactly happened?”
 
“We got there just as the jutsu began to dissipate the Kyuubi's chakra wasn't visible. Kisame said something and Naruto began gathering the Kyuubi's chakra in its more physical form,” Kakashi said, choosing his words wisely.
 
“Physical?” Tsunade asked.
 
Kakashi and Jiraiya looked at each other once before turning back to Tsunade. The Hokage had never witnessed Naruto under the influence of the Kyuubi's chakra. Up until that day Kakashi and Jiraiya had only seen glimpses of it and Rin had only heard of its existence. “When Naruto is using the Kyuubi's chakra to fight it causes some physical changes. They don't always occur and Naruto can change back rather quickly, which is why they didn't show when the water from the dragon faded away,” Jiraiya said.
 
“What exactly are these changes?” Tsunade asked.
 
“They're similar to the Shikakyu no Jutsu used by the Inuzuka clan. His canines and nails elongate into fangs and claws. His hair also gets a bit wilder, if that's actually possible,” Tsunade actually snorted when Jiraiya described Naruto's hair. Rin and Kakashi just glanced at each other and smiled. Jiraiya frowned slightly before continuing, “The only bit that's really that odd is his eyes; they turn red and slitted like a cat's.”
 
“They're the Kyuubi's eyes,” Kakashi added, “They're really the only bit about the change that could give away its source.”
 
Tsunade looked up alarmed when he added this. “Does Naruto have control when he's in this form?” she asked cautiously.
 
“I haven't seen anything to suggest that he doesn't. Actually the fact that he is able to cause an almost instantaneous reversal of the change gives good cause that he is still the dominant entity,” Kakashi stated, “Also I think the more he's used the Kyuubi's chakra the more control he's gotten.”
 
After contemplating Kakashi's conclusion Tsunade moved on. “What happened after this shift?” she questioned.
 
Kakashi and Jiraiya both looked slightly confused before Jiraiya said honestly, “I really don't know he just suddenly turned around and reversed the change. The Kyuubi's chakra just disappeared.”
 
“Sakura screamed,” Rin stated bluntly. When she saw little comprehension on their faces she continued, “She didn't scream because of anything that Kisame had done and when Naruto turned to see what was wrong she was staring at him.” As understanding dawned on them she just nodded slightly.
 
Tsunade took a few moments before pressing the matter further, “Obviously Kisame did not just leave and Rin said Itachi showed up; what happened after that?”
 
“Kisame attempted to hit Naruto with his sword; I interfered and pulled Naruto out of the way,” Kakashi stated. “At that time, Jiraiya made his presence known as did Itachi. He told Naruto that Sakura was hurt, when Naruto turned around Itachi spoke with Kisame and then left. At the time there were more important matters than following them.”
 
“Sakura flinched,” Rin stated, looking at them. “When Naruto turned around to check on her, he took a step towards her and she attempted to move away.”
 
“Damn,” was all Tsunade could muster in response to Rin's announcement.
 
Jiraiya blinked several times and Kakashi groaned as the truth suddenly dawned on them. “Naruto's not going to be able to handle this. Not when he's still trying to deal with Sasuke leaving,” Kakashi said.
 
“If Sakura abandons Naruto out of fear he won't be able to take it,” Jiraiya assented. Tsunade and Rin could only look at the two, having nothing to add themselves. “This is also going to raise a lot of questions among his friends,” Jiraiya continued, “If I thought he could take it, I would recommend just coming out with the truth but his recent behavioral changes show that his emotions are a bit unstable right now. I think it would do more damage than good.” Tsunade nodded as she listened to Jiraiya's assessment and was about to answer when a knock came at the door.
 
“Tsunade-sama, we're finished,” Shizune said through the door. Tsunade nodded to Rin who was closest to the door and she went to open it ushering the two in. As soon as they were inside Shizune spoke again about Naruto's condition, “As always Naruto-kun is already fully healed; there aren't any physical signs of the fight.”
 
“Thank-you, Shizune,” Tsunade replied, looking Naruto over quickly. “Could you please go tell Asuma, Kurenai, and Gai to gather all of the rookies? I'd like to see them all in my office to talk about this afternoon” she turned to Kakashi and asked, “Would you like one of them to get Sakura or should you go get her?”
 
“I don't know whether or not Asuma took her home, so one of them should go get her,” he responded, looking at a slightly panicked Naruto.
 
Tsunade turned back and gave Shizune leave before turning to Naruto as well. “Don't worry; all I'm going to do is tell them who attacked them, not why he attacked or who he was after,” she said, causing him to nod and relax slightly. She then turned to Rin, “I assume this was what you're latest report was going to be about.”
 
“Yes, I learned recently that although the Akatsuki will not move as whole they most likely will not ignore Naruto over the next few years. These attacks aren't missions but several of the members are getting bored; these excursions are for their amusement,” she said in response.
 
“So how many more should we expect?” Jiraiya asked.
 
“I'd say one every few months, as long as they come on their own and not in pairs or more they shouldn't give you much trouble. They won't wish to harm Naruto so the main threat will be to others,” Rin asked while watching Naruto's reaction.
 
The fox-vessel appeared panicked when her heard this and looked to Tsunade to see what she was going to do, “Okay we'll do what we can to avoid conflict, but I'm not leaving Naruto open to attack just because they won't try to kill him.”
 
“I wasn't suggesting that Tsunade-sama,” Rin said while smiling. “That was the only news I had; is there anything else you need?” she added politely.
 
Tsunade shook her head, “You can go if there isn't anything else.”
 
Rin nodded and then turned to the others, “It was nice meeting you Naruto-kun,” she said while ruffling his hair. She nodded goodbye to Jiraiya before turning to Kakashi.
 
“Naruto I'll be back in a moment,” the silver-haired Jounin said before turning and walking out with Rin.
 
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
 
“Well?” Kakashi asked as they exited Hokage Tower.
 
Rin smiled up at him. “He's hit a rough spot, but it looks like he'll make it through,” she responded.
 
“Should we tell them?” he asked.
 
Rin surveyed the view for a moment before turning back and shaking her head, “No, he doesn't need that over his head right now.”
 
“What about Tsunade and Jiraiya?”
 
“They don't need to know until he does. I'll admit I'm surprised he's already able to tap into the Kyuubi's chakra but that's probably due to the fact that his own chakra is mid-Chuunin level.”
 
“It spikes near Jounin level when he's put in a dangerous situation and protecting someone else,” Kakashi replied.
 
Rin looked at him amazed for a moment before shaking her head and smiling, “I shouldn't be surprised. Well I have to be going so watch out for him while you can. Jiraiya and Tsunade seem to be watching out for him as well so there isn't really anything to worry about. There's still a few more years, even if it started a bit early.” And with that she walked off, leaving a very amused Kakashi watching her exit. After a few moments he turned and headed back.
 
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
 
Meanwhile, in Tsunade's office the last two faithful Sannin watched a silent Naruto waiting for the blond Genin to speak, laugh, or just do something. After several minutes of silence Tsunade sighed heavily, causing Naruto to glance up in confusion only to see the Legendary Sucker rub her forehead in annoyance. “All right Naruto, why don't you have a seat while we wait for the others to arrive?” she said, growing uneasy in Naruto's silent company. At that Naruto took a seat in one of the few chairs in Tsunade's office; much to the Sannin's surprise it was in front of the desk not behind as he usually did. He curled up and lowered his head to rest on his arms, completely oblivious to worried glances being sent his way.
 
Tsunade and Jiraiya drifted towards the door, watching as Naruto remained in his huddled position. “What on earth is going on? I understand that he's had rough few weeks but for him to drop all pretenses so suddenly isn't normal. He isn't even trying to pretend,” Tsunade whispered harshly to the similarly baffled Jiraiya.
 
All he could do is look at her an utterly confused expression and said, “I wouldn't know I've only seen glimpses of this before. I don't know what he actually needs.” As he shrugged Jiraiya added, “I'll teach him a new jutsu later that should at least distract him for a while.”
 
He finished as Kakashi came in through the door. He looked around and seeing that the others hadn't arrived yet he turned to the two elder ninjas. “Where's Naruto?” he asked innocently. Tsunade pointed to the chair in front of her desk where the only visible bit of Naruto was a flash of sunshine yellow hair. “Well at least I know his stealth training has paid off some-what,” he said shrugging.
 
The next minute a knock at the door was followed by Shizune's voice announcing, “Tsunade-sama, Asuma-sensei, Kurenai-sensei, and Gai-sensei are here with the Genin you asked for.” Tsunade beckoned for the other two to head over by Naruto before she went and opened the door.
 
As Tsunade received the Genin, Jiraiya and Kakashi attempted to bring Naruto out of his hunched position. Unfortunately for them Naruto refused to move with the exception of a quick glance which showed him a number of nervous peers trying to discover why they had been called to the Hokage's office. He settled for resting his chin on his hands and staring blankly at the wall, causing both Jiraiya and Kakashi to sigh before settling in near Naruto. Jiraiya once again leaned up against Tsunade's desk to survey the others in the room while Kakashi leaned against the back of Naruto's chair and turned to smile at the gathered Genin in a reassuring way. At least they assumed that was what he was doing seeing as how the mask that covered all but one eye obstructed most facial expressions from view.
 
For many this was their first time in the presence of Konoha's Fifth Hokage. Shikamaru had met her when he was promoted and again shortly after Sasuke's betrayal. Lee had met her as he prepared for surgery to repair the damage caused by the Lotus technique. Sakura was an almost daily visitor as she had become Tsunade's apprentice. The others had only heard of Tsunade and caught small glimpses of her. Currently standing in her presence they also notice Jiraiya. Although many had heard of him from Naruto and occasionally seen him while he was training their usually hyperactive friend few had actually met the Toad Sennin. Apparently the presence of two such powerful ninjas was enough to keep the curious group in complete silence until Kakashi looked over and questioned Sakura, “Are you feeling better now?”
 
Sakura looked up slightly shocked before nodding and looking around the room. Her eyes widened slightly when she noticed a splash of yellow behind Kakashi and she instinctively took a step towards him before her face fell and she moved back towards Ino, whom she had been standing by earlier.
 
At Sakura's sudden movement many others followed her glance and finally realized why they had been called in. “Oi, Naruto what's going on?” Kiba asked in his usual boisterous voice. When Naruto didn't react or even acknowledge that he had spoke the unanimous reaction was a number of Genin blinking in confusion. Not even the Jounin seemed to understand Naruto's reaction.
 
Tsunade turned and sent Naruto a sympathetic look before turning those gathered in front of her, “I apologize for the lack of seating; if you would like to make yourselves comfortable on the floor you're more than welcome to.” With that said she turned and walked to her desk allowing the Genin to glance at each other for several moments before they situated themselves on the floor. Once they were relatively comfortable they glanced up to see Tsunade shuffling through a number of papers on her desk.
 
Once she was satisfied with whatever it was she was doing she looked back up and smiled at them, “Well, from what I've heard you've all had an exciting day.” The Genin could only blink in surprise at her nonchalant attitude; even Naruto looked slightly shocked though no one but Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Kakashi could tell. “I would like to apologize for the fact that assistance came rather late; the Missing Nin who attacked you was not one we expected to encounter any time soon.”
 
This immediately caught the Genin's attention. “Hoshigake Kisame is an S-class missing Nin from the Hidden Mist Village. This is the second time he has engaged our Shinobi in the village and I apologize for the fact that information concerning his movement didn't reach us until after the attack took place. If we had known he was on his way here, you wouldn't have been left outside the village unsupervised,” the Godaime's confession shocked the gathered rookies.
 
She watched for a moment as they digested her information, knowing that in order to spare Naruto and avoid questions she would have to attempt to distract them enough with the information she did give them. “In order to avoid similar situations in the future I must ask that if you intend leave the village for any reason, including training, that you inform a Jounin of your whereabouts. Also if they feel it is necessary, you should have a Jounin accompany you. I realize that this may seem a bit restricting but these types of cautionary steps are important for your safety,” she paused again until those gathered nodded in understanding. “Good since we're in full understanding you're all dismissed, have a good rest of the day off.” The Genin slowly stood up; several made their way towards Naruto but they were met with discouraging glares from all three shinobi standing near him. They reluctantly turned and headed out the door following those that had already departed.
 
After the others had left Tsunade, Jiraiya and Kakashi looked down at Naruto once more. When Naruto made no signs of movement, Jiraiya sighed and walked over to nudge him. Unfortunately Naruto was caught so unaware that he would have fallen out of the chair had Kakashi not caught him by the back of the jacket. The blond fox-boy gazed up to find three concerned faces looking back at him. He blinked up at them in confusion before finally asking, “Can I go now?”
 
Jiraiya looked at the other two before turning back to Naruto and grinning at him, “Sure you can go, with me back to the training grounds we still have a lot of work to do today.”
 
“I thought we were finished earlier,” Naruto replied in a monotone voice while gazing at the floor.
 
“Well I let you off early so I could meet with Tsunade but now I've come up with the perfect new move to teach you.” Jiraiya said enthusiastically as he ushered Naruto from the room.
 
Kakashi and Tsunade watched as Master and Apprentice left; the moment the door closed Tsunade slammed her fist into her desk nearly breaking it in half. “Damn it!!” she shouted, causing Kakashi to cautiously raise an eyebrow at her outburst. “If Naruto doesn't recover from this…” she faded off not wanting to think of what Naruto might do. Though she had only known the boy for several months, what she had seen in that time had annoyed the hell out of her. She had seen the glares the villagers sent his way, especially after Sasuke had left. She had also come to realize that without his mask Naruto never would have survived. His exaggerated stupidity and happiness allowed him to make it through the day despite everyone's treatment of him.
 
Kakashi could only watch as a number of emotions flashed through the Godaime's eyes. He knew that a lot had happened in the past few months since she had taken office. He also knew that he had missed most of it due to mission after mission taking him out of Konoha. He hadn't been able to keep an eye on Naruto and Sakura as a sensei should have. He also realized that the two were no longer his students; he found he suddenly had a much greater respect for Iruka's outburst during the Chuunin Exam nominations. Team 7 had been his first Genin team and now that they were no longer under his care he couldn't truly let go, which is of course why he was still in the Hokage's office waiting for an update. His return with Rin had followed a two week absence due to various missions and he was now eager to hear what had happened during that time, especially after the mess he had come home to.
 
After several minutes Tsunade had composed herself enough to look back up at Kakashi, “I'm sorry you probably want to know how they've been lately.” Kakashi smiled slightly and nodded in consent.
 
“Really what happened today is the only thing I would've told you about. Their training has continued to progress well, but there isn't anything particularly important to add,” Tsunade said wearily.
 
Kakashi sighed when he realized that was all the Sannin was going to tell him. Unfortunately she had a similar view to the one he presented to Iruka at the Chuunin Exam nominations. He suddenly realized that he should probably go apologize to the academy teacher.
 
As he turned to leave Tsunade suddenly called out, “Make sure you stop by the Administration Office, they have another mission for you.” Kakashi could only sigh and continue walking wondering if there was some sort of giant conspiracy against him. Ever since Tsunade had healed him he had been sent on non-stop missions. Kakashi wondered vaguely if Jiraiya had been angry about the fight on the hospital roof, shrugging it off we walked down to the office and did as Tsunade ordered.