Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ Walk On Water I ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~b~ normal story
~B~ flashbacks
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Walk on Water
Sakura had remained next to Naruto during the remainder of the night as he stared blankly ahead. She knew they had drifted off at some point after talking about the visit to his old apartment because someone had wrapped a blanket around their shoulders. At first she had thought it must have been Naruto because he had pulled her a bit closer, which meant she had also probably had a bad dream, they had been coming more frequently since the night in Kumoma when she had woken up in a panic. Maybe that was her way of dealing with everything that had been going on. In the end she decided that it had been Suzu, well not so much decided as Reiko had told her when she slipped into the room not long after dawn and told Sakura and Naruto that training was canceled because Suzu didn't think any of them would be up to it. She barely remembered nodding before curling back into Naruto and going to sleep again.
When Takara and Sasuke finally came out of their rooms the next morning Naruto was awake again but he hadn't stirred in fear of waking Sakura. “I'm going to meet with Lian,” Sasuke stated when Naruto didn't look over at either of them.
“Training's canceled for the day to let you guys rest after the trip,” Naruto whispered, finally shifting a bit to look over at them.
“Then I'll go find something else to do,” Sasuke muttered.
“Don't. Don't run away from this, it's what you always do. Can you two just sit down so we can try and talk this out?” Naruto pleaded. Sasuke hesitated for a moment before sighing and moving to sit in one of the armchairs. Takara quietly took the seat next to Sakura and Naruto and chewed her lip nervously.
“I don't know what happened in Konoha. I don't even know if that's what set off your tirade last night. But whatever this is about, you're taking it out on the wrong people. Konohamaru can be a brat, he might have even gotten worse since I left, but he doesn't deserve what you said about him, and neither did Jiraiya. Jiraiya never did anything to either of you. Just teaching Konohamaru a jutsu that he was within his right to teach shouldn't have been enough to piss either of you off. I would be able to understand it if Rin and Kakashi got angry, but not any of you. Konohamaru's just a kid. If he used the Rasengan inappropriately that's to be expected, even if it is kinda disappointing.”
Takara frowned and was slightly unnerved by the way the increasingly sophisticated vocabulary that Kyokki used was intermingling with Naruto's statement. It just made him sound more like her father and she was almost expecting him to hand down some sort of punishment. “And don't take it out on Sakura either. She didn't deserve what you said. Everyone is shaped by their parents to some extent, including Sakura and the rest of my friends, but they got over it, and even if it doesn't seem obvious to you, there is no denying that. I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did if that wasn't true, and I'm not talking about spiraling out of control and just leaving Konoha to get away from it.
“I haven't forgiven everything they've done to me; I never will. That's why I wouldn't come in town with Sasuke, well one of the reasons anyways. I didn't just forget all that and force myself to live happily ever after, I am happy. If I did nothing but focus on what happened in Konoha I'd be miserable, and spending too much time training would be the least of your complaints about me.
“And Sasuke, don't ever insult Jiraiya like that again. I never had to forgive you because what happened back then wasn't your fault. But Jiraiya never abandoned me. He never gave up on me even when I seemed completely hopeless. He took a really big risk in teaching me; it could have destroyed his prestige within the village, especially when you consider who created the Rasengan and who else could summon toads. He didn't have a clue who I was except for being the `Kyuubi brat' but he taught me anyways. And there is no way Sakura or I would be here if he hadn't taught me.”
“I didn't give up on you,” Sasuke stated before Naruto could go on. “I know I left, and I won't ever stop regretting the way I left you two. But I never gave up on you. If I had done that, I wouldn't have bothered fighting the Four when they were sent after you. I'll admit giving up on myself, but not you. You can be as angry as you want with me, but don't ever accuse me of that.”
Naruto stared at him for a moment before he felt something wet on his arm. He glanced down and realized guiltily that their conversation had woken up Sakura. Not only that, but she was crying. Sasuke realized the same thing and dropped his head into his hands waiting for Naruto's outburst about how it was his fault and how they had promised to never make the girl cry again. When no outburst came, he looked back up and saw Naruto mirroring his position. “Look let's just, forget yesterday,” Sasuke suggested.
“No,” Sakura sniffled. “You can't keep doing this. He's right; you keep running away from the things that bother you. And Naruto's still suppressing everything. And Takara I don't know what the hell is going on, but you didn't hate our stories about Konoha the first time we met so why the hell do you suddenly dislike Konohamaru and hate everything about the village?”
All three appeared properly chastised for a moment before Sasuke leaned back into his chair and brought his hands up to massage his forehead. Naruto remained hunched over but lowered right hand to peak out at the others. Takara noticed rather belatedly that he hadn't bothered to cover up the scars on his cheeks. “Will one of you please say something?” Sakura begged.
“How was Konoha? How was everyone?” Naruto asked quietly.
“Everyone seemed fine. They aren't completely over us. And I don't think the village is making it very easy. Rishito and Moegi did really good in the tournament. Tsunade promoted both of them, but I heard Rishito tried to turn it down because the Elders started giving her trouble,” Sakura told him trying not to role her eyes at his obvious avoidance of what she was really hoping he would say.
“What did the hag say to that? And why would he turn down his promotion?” Naruto asked.
“Tsunade wouldn't let him turn it down. And he mentioned that he was worried about what would happen if she went against the Elders too much. She really is doing a great job, Naruto; I don't think the villagers will ever realize what you and Jiraiya gave them by convincing her to become Hokage,” Sakura claimed.
Naruto smiled a bit but didn't look up enough to meet their eyes. “What about you two? Pretend I didn't hear all that shit yesterday and start over,” he added.
Takara and Sasuke stared at each other as if daring the other to go first. As Takara's stare grew colder, Sasuke sighed and looked over at the formerly blue-eyed blond. “Not much happened. The tournament and the festival were fine, although it was overwhelming to be back there,” he admitted.
“Hadn't you already been back? You stayed for like a week last time,” Naruto commented.
“I know. Maybe it was because Sound was there. I really don't know,” Sasuke paused for a moment and looked to make sure that Naruto was finally looking at him. “Do you remember Idzumo? She was the one who could control vines.”
Naruto frowned and nodded in disgust. It had been his first kill.
“She must have had a sister. The girl looked just like her. She fought Konohamaru,” Sasuke told him.
“Did he recognize her? Was he was okay afterwards?” Naruto asked.
“Why would he have recognized her?” Takara asked. “Shouldn't just the two of you, and that Jounin that was with you recognize her?”
“Jounin, damn was Genma refereeing the exam this time too?” Naruto asked.
“He was. Why would Konohamaru have recognized her?” Sasuke asked, repeating Takara's question.
“They were there. Moegi, Konohamaru, and Udon had gone with us that morning. They had wanted to see Naruto,” Sakura said quietly.
“Sakura took them out of there, that's why they made it back to the village but they definitely would have seen her at least,” Naruto added.
“They were really with you that day. Why?” Takara asked.
“I had been ignoring them for almost three months. Two days before, Tsunade had staged a mock tournament to show off to the Academy students and I had acted like a jackass. I wouldn't even look at the three. That must have been the last straw. They tracked me down two days later and followed us out of the village. They refused to leave so Genma let them come with us to watch us train. They…I keep wondering what would have happened if we hadn't gotten them out of there. If she had managed to get rid of Genma, if they would have been next?”
Naruto trailed off and Takara and Sasuke could do nothing but stare at him. Sasuke had never been able to get the two to talk about what happened that day, at least not past what Naruto had told him about how they had escaped. Of course he hadn't talked much either, but it was still unnerving to see Naruto revert the way he was. Judging by the growing fear on Sakura's face, it was worse than he had realized.
It was like when Itachi admitted he had watched them die, that he had thought they were dead. Sasuke had never really stopped to think about it. When they had gotten into that fight, all they had really thought about was how Kakashi would react. Naruto had been worried about Genma as well, but they all knew where Kakashi normally was in the mornings before training. If he had taken his friend's death that hard then how would he deal with learning that all three of his students had been killed in less than twelve hours?
When Rin had found them, she had claimed that she could answer whatever questions they had. But they hadn't had any. Even Sakura had been too afraid to ask what was going on. How everyone was. Rin had slowly incorporated more about Kakashi into her conversations with them, but the subject of Itachi had still been delicate and Sasuke had too been afraid of what the truth really was to ever actually ask. He still hadn't asked. Although Itachi had hinted that the vague…really, really vague explanation that he had given that first night was…well vague and misleading.
Just like how he knew Naruto had never asked who his father was. Although Rin had mentioned recent concern over the state of his eyes, apparently he had his father's eyes, which Sasuke found odd because he had started to believe that Naruto took after his mother.
Just like they had never asked why Rin really left, although their visit in Konoha had sort of answered that unintentionally.
Sakura had claimed that Itachi believed they were too trusting, that that was why they had eventually grown jaded enough to just give up on Konoha and leave. He wasn't entirely wrong. But he knew his teammates agreed with him. They didn't want to not trust Rin, Kakashi, and Itachi. It was better than not knowing who to trust and staying on their own. Of course, that conversation with Itachi had led to… “Apparently Tsunade is getting revenge on Itachi by forcing him to sit in on some meetings with the Clan Heads. She claims he should hurry up and restart the clan instead of complaining about sitting through meetings.”
Naruto looked up in surprise as Sasuke spoke up breaking the heavy mood of the room. It took him a moment to decipher what Sasuke had said before Naruto fell to the ground holding his stomach as he laughed loudly. “You just had to share that didn't you,” Sakura muttered disparagingly.
Takara sighed in relief as the trio returned to normal. She wasn't sure they would get better, but at the very least, they wouldn't question her.
 
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
 
“Takara!” the four teens turned around and looked curiously at Suzu as she hastily walked towards them. “I've been looking all over for you. Can you come with me for a bit?”
Takara frowned and stood up walking away without a word. Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto frowned and glanced at each other. “This is getting suspicious. It's the third time in a month,” Sakura finally stated.
“Yeah, and Rin's made herself scarce. She hasn't come to visit since October,” Naruto muttered.
“I'm actually surprised we're still here. I mean I know Rin said it could be up to two years, but I didn't actually believe we'd stay that long,” Sakura admitted. “And Takara hinted that they wanted to bring us to Anraku sooner or later; I always assumed it would be sooner.”
“They were going to bring us this past spring but Sho decided to put it off,” Naruto muttered. Sakura and Sasuke stared at him and he shrugged apologetically. “I think it was because they had too much going on; they were preparing to go to Konoha,” he explained.
“Oh that's right it would have been for the spring festival,” Sakura remembered.
“Yeah, I think since we missed that one they wanted to wait for the next one,” Naruto told her.
“So we should expect to be here over winter?” Sasuke asked.
“That's what it sounded like.”
Takara and Suzu returned twenty minutes later to find the three dozing lightly in the gardens. “I'm surprised Lian and Reiko are letting you three take a break still,” Suzu commented waking them.
Sakura grinned lazily and replied, “If you see them tell them we were practicing.”
“I should have known,” Suzu said rolling her eyes.
“It's not our fault. They overworked us yesterday and since they were too busy to actually assign someone to supervise…” Naruto trailed off cheerily.
Suzu sighed and shook her head. “Well since they're going to be gone all week we have a slight favor to ask,” she told them.
“What's up?”
“Raiko and Izumi's nanny is ill; it seems to be contagious. We're pretty sure at least two other staff members are coming down with…whatever it is; I haven't quite figured that out yet. Now it isn't like this is fatal or anything, but we would prefer to keep the children away from them so Lady Shijimi wondered if you three would keep an eye on them until her daughter returns from Kirigakure.” Suzu grinned at them a bit nervously as the four teens processed her request.
“I don't mind,” Takara replied immediately thankful for the distraction. Sakura nodded in agreement but Naruto and Sasuke merely frowned at each other.
“You two do this and I'll tell Reiko and Lian that you trained all day today,” Suzu informed them smirking. Both teen boys fell back limply groaning and Suzu's smile widened. “Wonderful. You start tomorrow morning. They'll be with Lady Shijimi until then so go to her quarters, you're to join her for breakfast and then take them out for the day.” Without waiting for a reply, Suzu turned and walked away leaving the boys bemoaning the fact that they had given her the key to stealing their laziness.
 
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
 
“I'm requesting replacements for his two injured teammates so that they can go back after them. Uchiha Itachi would be especially helpful.”
“That's impossible,” Homura stated, staring at Inuzuka Tsume, Genma and Itachi dispassionately.
“It's the Hokage's duty to assign these missions, not yours,” Genma stated when Tsume's request was denied.
“Yes but in the Hokage's absence it becomes our job,” Homura replied, smirking at him. “And I say that reinforcements are impossible. Before foolishly sending a search party, we will wait. In the meantime, someone should send word to Hatake's widow,” he added.
“He isn't dead! Don't you dare speak of him that way,” Rishito growled from the doorway. Itachi turned from his spot next to Genma and walked quickly towards his student ignoring the Elder's response.
“Of course he isn't,” Homura said condescendingly staring at the boy.
“Outside now, Rishito,” Itachi stated pulling him out of the door. He leveled a glare, sharingan and all, at the elder who had spoken - it would have been impossible for him to have not noticed Rishito's presence. Genma and Tsume sent Homura one last glare before turning and following Itachi out of the room and through the streets as he led his team away.
Once he had pulled his team all the way through the village and back to the Uchiha compound Itachi turned on Rishito. “He's not dead, right?” Rishito repeated slightly pleadingly.
Itachi ignored his statement and said, “Do you still have the summoning scroll Rin gave you after the Chuunin exam?”
“Yeah,” Rishito added fumbling in his scroll pouch for a moment before pulling out a small scroll and holding it up for Itachi.
“Activate it. I'll be back in a moment,” Itachi said walking out of the room. When he re-entered Pakkun was standing in the middle of the room in confusion. Itachi simply handed him the hastily written note and ordered, “Take this to Rin. She's in Anraku.” Pakkun glanced between Itachi and Rishito before finally taking the note and trotting out.
“Try not to be seen until after you leave the village,” Itachi added as the little pug dog disappeared.
“What can Rin do?” Genma asked interrupting the confused silence before either Moegi or Inari could speak up. Itachi sent an exasperated glance his way as he led an unsteady Rishito to sit down in the kitchen.
“What's going on?” Moegi asked in confusion. “What happened to Kakashi-san?”
“His team was attacked and separated. Anko, Hana, Kakashi are still out there,” Tsume told her.
“Wait, shouldn't Anko-sensei be with her team? I thought they were going back for the finals in Kirigakure?” Inari asked.
“She was supposed to but this mission came up. She sent her team with Hyuuga Neji, Hiashi insisted on sending another clan member with Hanabi anyways. I'll ask again, what can Rin do?” Genma said.
“But why did Anko-sensei need to go on a mission?” Moegi asked.
Itachi quickly grew tired of the two conflicting conversations and glared over at the four speakers. His students immediately silenced and even Genma and Tsume quieted enough to allow him to speak. “Moegi, Inari, just sit down. It was a recon mission along the north border of Fire Country. Shizune, Genma and two others were separated from the others two days ago. When they failed to meet them at the rendezvous point they came back to Konoha to ask for back up,” Itachi stated.
“Wait, we knew about Kakashi-san's mission, but why did Anko-sensei go? Kakashi-san didn't mention her being on his team,” Moegi said in confusion. She had been with Rishito the week before when Kakashi had told him to stay with Itachi until he returned.
Itachi sighed and Genma snorted. “The Elders sent her. Tsunade-sama had left the day before to head to Kirigakure. They caught up with Anko before she could leave and sent her with us while leaving Neji to accompany her team back for the Chuunin Exam finals,” Genma explained. “It was last minute and done without the Hokage's permission,” he added darkly. The three Genin stared up at him in shock but remained silent allowing Genma to turn to Itachi with his original question. “Why did you send for Rin? The council is right; with the Hokage gone we can't do anything else.”
“Rin's in Anraku. She'll tell Sho. Sho will send a messenger for the Hokage. Then Rin can contact the Daimyo who can send people to start looking for Kakashi, Anko and Hana while we wait for the Hokage,” Itachi informed them.
 
 
Two days later the small pug turned up at Itachi's door in the early hours of the morning, waking Itachi and Rishito. “You can't have made it to Anraku and back already,” Itachi stated, letting the dog into the small apartment he had converted in the Uchiha Complex. “I ran into Rin on the road; she's waiting for you outside the gate.”
Without giving the dog any more time to talk, Itachi took off out the door, leaving behind a putout pug and a pouty preteen. He reached the gate and was relieved to recognize both of the guards as graduates from his brother's class and therefore friends of Tsume's son. “Uchiha-san?”
“Nara,” he nodded stepping past them and walking through the gates. “Where were you when Pakkun found you?” he asked as Rin appeared in front of him holding her daughter shocking the two teens behind him.
“On my way to Hifukidake. We need to talk now,” she told him.
“Did you actually get Pakkun's message?”
“Yeah, I sent a faster dog on to Anraku. Mitsutori should have someone on the way to Kirigakure by nightfall. Inside now,” Rin ordered back.
Itachi turned and walked back inside smirking as Shikamaru and the Aburame boy deliberately turned around as if they didn't see Rin with him. “Why did you come through here if you were on the way to Hifukidake?”
“Because if Sound has a team that's capable of keeping Anko and Kakashi from making it back here then Lian needs more than me at the capital,” she told him stonily. “You two keep your mouths shut. If it makes it back to the Elders we won't be able to send anyone there,” she added when the two guards turned to gape at her.
“What do you need?”
“Someone in the mission room who will process a mission at the wrong ranking so that it can be handed out without the elders knowing about it,” she stated.
“Then we need to speak with Iruka,” Itachi told her veering away from the entrance to the Uchiha section of Konoha and toward the Academy. “It's still early but he should already be there since Anko is out of town,” he said answering Rin's unstated question.
“Umino Iruka? Perfect,” Rin finally said cheering up considerably and shifting Nakera's sleeping form on her hip.
“Why did you bring her if there is something wrong in Hifukidake?” he finally asked.
“Because everyone is busy in Anraku while Sho is in Kirigakure with the Daimyo and she's been a havoc lately - no one can keep track of her when she starts racing around,” Rin sighed.
Itachi fought to keep his chuckles suppressed as they entered the silent Academy building. Rin paused outside of his classroom when she heard voices but Itachi went ahead and knocked once before letting himself in. “Itachi?” Iruka questioned before cutting off any further questions when he saw Rin walk in behind Itachi.
“Hey, I know you,” the young girl next to Iruka continued ignoring the tense silence. Rin looked down at her in surprise before sighing in recognition. “I should have known; that missing nin looked too dumb to have actually put two and two together,” she muttered.
“But I didn't tell anyone. My aunt told me not to,” Ayame countered.
“Aunt?”
“Anko,” Iruka stated.
“Anko's from Utsuro; well that explains a lot,” Rin finally sighed.
“I wouldn't have expected you to come in town when you weren't being forced to,” Iruka said.
Rin grinned at the unasked question and walked towards the front of the classroom while Itachi closed the door. “You keep quiet when Anko asks, right?” she said to the little girl. When Ayame nodded, Rin continued, “I'm pretty sure she'd prefer you not tell anyone but her about the conversation I'm going to have with Iruka, alright?”
Ayame nodded a second time and Itachi approached the front of the room. Rin passed the still sleeping Nakera to him and reached into the travel pack she was carrying, pulling out a scroll. “I need you to assign Itachi's team on a mission to Hifukidake.”
“Hifukidake? We aren't allowed to send teams there without direct approval. You'd never be able to pass that by the Elders if you really want Itachi sent,” Iruka countered.
“I know. That's why the mission is going to request that they take this scroll across the village,” Rin smiled disarmingly at him.
“You want me to falsify an official mission request knowing full well where his team is going to go with the actual request,” Iruka clarified.
“Don't worry, I'll go with them and they won't get into any trouble. Once we've made it to Hifukidake and dropped off the Genin and Nakera, Itachi and I will be able to borrow a few of the Daimyo's guards and head out after Kakashi, Anko and Hana.”
“I realize that once she returns the Hokage will just see this as one of your annoying whims, but what if the Elders realize what is going on…”
“Inuzuka Hana is one of the missing Jounin. The Council of Clan Heads will step in if the Elders try to do anything. Besides, a messenger should reach Tsunade tomorrow afternoon and you won't be assigning this mission until tomorrow morning,” Rin claimed.
“Why tomorrow?” Iruka asked.
“Because I need to speak with Shizune before I head to Hifukidake,” Rin told him grimacing.
Iruka watched her for a moment and finally nodded saying, “I'll draw up the request and have it ready when his team comes in tomorrow morning. The official mission scroll will give them permission to leave the village but I'll leave the rest of the details for you to impart on the team. Do the Elders even know you're here?”
“Ah, about that, let's keep my presence a secret as well. The guards down at the gate were kind enough to turn the other way when I entered and I'm pretty sure Shizune will do the same. I'd like them to not know I'm around, at least not until I've already left with Itachi tomorrow,” Rin replied.
“Of course. You should head out then. Some of my students will start arriving soon and the streets will already be filling up,” Iruka warned her.
“Right, thanks. We'll have them back within a week. Promise,” Rin added taking Nakera back from Itachi and heading out of the room with a wave.
After several detours, they finally arrived back at Itachi's apartment and found that Rishito had expectantly gathered his teammates who were sitting patiently listening to Pakkun as he recounted how he helped Naruto and Sakura find Sasuke during the Sand Invasion four years previously. Itachi closed the door behind Rin and finally asked the question he had been most curious to have answered, “What happened to your hair?”
Rin turned from greeting her son and glared at him. “Eiki. He's too much like you, even if Kyokki was egging him at the time,” she finally answered. “Speaking of hair, I noticed you're actually trying to grow yours out. Do you really think Hana's going to let you?”
“I'm sure Kyokki wasn't the only one egging him on if Eiki attacked you,” Itachi stated ignoring Rin's other comment. His students giggled at him before turning to Rin.
“Fire breathing?” Moegi asked curiously.
“Of course. I really don't understand those three. Fire is not the most interesting element, but they won't let me teach them any other tricks,” Rin sighed in response, setting the now awake Nakera on the ground so that the toddler could stretch her legs. Rin set down her pack and searched through it for a moment until she found a scroll hidden at the bottom. “I need to find Shizune and get a few things sorted out. Keep Nakera entertained until I'm back,” she added walking out the door.
 
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
 
Shizune frowned as she stared at the two charts in front of her. She would finally be able to release Iwashi and Aoba from the hospital that afternoon and she could only hope that with their original teammates back in play the council would allow them to go back out after Kakashi, Anko and Hana. Of course she wasn't really expecting the Elders to let her out, but one could always hope. She was honestly starting to sympathize with Rin's distrust of Konoha; well not starting to sympathize, that had happened when she heard Suzu talking about the Elders' handling of Naruto's custody as a baby.
Shizune was jolted out of her daze when she heard the door to her office shut quietly and a body dropped into the chair in front of her. “Rin?” she asked, surprised to see the woman sitting in front of her.
“I heard you had a rough a mission. You did take a day off before jumping back into work here, right?” Rin asked breaking the ice.
Shizune snorted derisively as she looked pointedly at the paperwork piling up in the room. “Maybe you should get yourself an assistant,” Rin suggested nicely, crossing her legs and leaning back in the chair.
“I'm surprised to see you here. Genma mentioned Itachi sent word to you, but I wouldn't have expected you to come personally, especially not this fast,” Shizune finally stated, leaning back and mirroring Rin's position.
“I ran into his messenger on the road. I decided to drop by and help out a bit. Besides this gives me the chance to get your help on something,” Rin answered pulling out a scroll from inside her vest and handing it to Shizune.
Shizune opened the scroll and quickly scanned its contents. After a moment, she bit her thumb and ran it over the seals at the bottom summoning the samples discussed. “This is from Suzu?” she asked standing up.
“Yeah. From what I could tell, it's either an infectious but non-lethal disease, which is what they've been telling everyone, or someone is becoming more aggressive and poisoning more members of the staff each day. She has almost fifty patients, including several of the Daimyo's guards. When they started getting sick she got worried because she didn't think they had come in contact with any of the already infected staff,” Rin explained. “I didn't have any lab equipment in Anraku so I was just going on what information she told me until I could reach Hifukidake. Since I heard from Itachi that you were in town, I figured I'd bring you in on this. You would have more up to date knowledge of poisons anyways.”
Shizune nodded and stood up, locking the door to her office before walking over to the bookcase and pulling on a suspicious orange book. “We'll use my lab since I'm sure the Elders don't know you're here,” she explained as the bookcase slid over revealing a hidden door. Rin nodded and followed her through the door before letting it shut behind them.
When they exited the lab late that night Genma was waiting lazily in Shizune's office. “Didn't I lock my door?” Shizune asked trying to stop her eyebrow from twitching in irritation.
“Ninja,” Genma replied with a shrug. After a moment of intense staring on Shizune's part Genma sighed and stood up. “Anyway, Tsume wanted to speak with Itachi and us before you left. Before you ask, I'm not positive about how she found out you were here, but it probably had to do with her son's friends so she might not be the only clan leader there. All they want Shizune and me there for is to tell you where we were on the mission so you know where to look. I don't know what else they want. Also before you ask, Itachi and your brats are probably already there.”
“You brought your daughter?” Shizune asked curiously. “Hmm…I didn't really get to see her at the festival; Tsunade mentioned she was adorable though. Takes after her father too.”
“I can't get rid of you people can I,” Rin muttered to herself following them out the door. She wasn't surprised when she saw Itachi leaning against the wall down the hall from Shizune's office.
“Rishito and Nakera are with Tsume,” he stated, answering Rin's unspoken question.
Rin stared at him for a moment before sighing and motioning for them to lead the way. Ducking in next to Itachi, she made herself as inconspicuous as possible while they exited the hospital and headed towards the Inuzuka household. “Any reason you're helping them pester me?” she finally asked, nudging Itachi in the side. “I mean I know I teased you about the hair but really making me speak with clan heads…”
“Speaking of hair, which one of those brats did that to you?” Genma asked interrupting with amusement.
“How do you know I didn't just decide to get it cut?” Rin shot back.
“You hated short hair when you were younger. Ashitaba tried to get you to cut it off and you refused to let her trim it above your chin,” Genma commented nonchalantly.
“I hate forgetting you remember crap like that.”
“Was it one of the boys? I only the met the second one, Kyokki, in Hifukidake, but from the sound of it he's more of a troublemaker,” Shizune added.
“Neh, Kyokki's terrified of me. Eiki just got a little ticked off when I was in Hifukidake back in October,” Rin finally answered, before turning back to Itachi who had a pensive look on his face. “Are you ever going to answer me?”
“I'm not really helping, I just wanted a break from dealing with your daughter,” Itachi replied.
“I hate you sometimes,” Rin deadpanned as Itachi's pensive look grew smug.
“Now now kiddies, let's all get along until we get this mess cleaned up,” Genma offered, not bothering to hide his amused grin.
“That would be helpful.”
All four paused and looked up at the house Genma had led them to. Inuzuka Tsume was standing in the doorway watching them with amusement that didn't quite erase the worry lines on forehead.
“Tsume-san, always good to see you,” Rin greeted with a mock salute.
“You're as cheeky as ever. It was cute when you were younger, I'm not sure what it is now,” Tsume retorted, moving out of the doorway to let them all in.
She led the four down the hall and into a large, sparsely filled room. Nara Shikato, Aburame Shibi, and Hyuuga Hiashi were already inside, as were Rishito and Nakera. The latter was seated in front of a gruff looking dog and seemed to be engrossed in a game of seeing how far along the floor she could inch away before the dog reached forward to pull her back. Rishito just looked bored, although he looked up hopefully when his mother walked back in with Itachi.
“Before you go getting more ninja in trouble, I'd like to hear your plan,” Shikato stated the moment he saw Rin.
“I don't know what you're talking about,” Rin replied.
“Shino and Shikamaru let you pass at the gate. I know you spoke with Iruka today because he was who told Genma you were back. And you were holed away with Shizune working on something. If the elders interfere, they're going to take the fall,” Shikato informed her.
“Simple. A falsified mission report so that Itachi and his team can come with me to Hifukidake. After that we'll be able to borrow some guards and look for Hana, Kakashi and Anko,” Rin told him nonchalantly, ignoring the laws she was admitting to breaking.
“Why are you going through Hifukidake?” Hiashi asked suspiciously.
“I was asked to stop by. And like I said they can give us back up.”
“Did being asked to `stop by' have anything to do with your meeting with Shizune? And if so will the Genin who go there be put at risk?” Shibi asked.
Rin frowned at the endless questions but sighed and figured it was faster to just come out with the truth than let them bother her. “They're having a small problem in Hifukidake. About a week and a half ago, several members of the court staff - mainly those in hospitality sectors - fell ill. One week ago what was supposed to simply be an infectious disease spread to several members of the guard who had had no contact with the infected staff. The Daimyo, his daughter, son-in-law, and several guards are in Kirigakure for the Chuunin exam. This leaves them short staffed. Suzu was hoping I could give her a hand; I spoke with Shizune because she has more up to date knowledge of poisons. The Genin won't be in danger because we now know it was poison and so there isn't anything for them to catch,” Rin finished pausing to catch her breath.
“How much risk is the capital at?” Tsume asked worriedly.
“They don't know. As I said, the Daimyo isn't there. If someone is planning an attack it doesn't really make sense unless they were hoping to catch the Daimyo off-guard when he returned,” Rin admitted.
“If they are already understaffed then who would you get to help you?” Hiashi asked.
Rin grinned weakly and glanced at Itachi who only frowned in return. “There are a few brats that are at my beck and call,” Rin claimed.
“Hana and Eiki, the two from Settei, and their friend?” Tsume asked.
“Yeah. They aren't factored into palace security so they'll be able to leave with us. Before you ask, yes they are capable of working with us on this. They've been trained almost full time by the head of the Daimyo's security forces so they'll be able to handle what we come across,” she told them.
“Is this really a good idea? Is getting Hifukidake involved going to help us or just cause more problems in the long run?” Tsume asked.
“They'll be willing to help if they can. It will also give Tsunade a reason to favor them, which means…never mind,” Rin trailed off ignoring Rishito's curious look.
“Meaning that she could move against the council of elders with the Daimyo's help,” Hiashi finished for her.
“Do you need anything else?” Rin asked ignoring the sudden interest her son was showing.
“I figured you would need to speak with Genma and Shizune about where they were separated,” Tsume told her.
“My guess is you were in Isamu's territory, but that won't help us figure out where they are now. Either their opponents drove them elsewhere or they're trying to cage them in. Finding them will be hit and miss,” Rin countered.
“We were a bit west of the area you're talking about actually. That's why they caught us off guard. When Tsunade originally assigned the mission for us, she warned us about the Daimyo's suspicions of that area along the border. But like I said, we were west of that area and south of the border when we ran into them. They were definitely in our territory and we don't have a clue why,” Genma corrected.
Rin frowned in concentration for a moment before glancing back at Genma. “Were you near Settei?” she finally asked.
Shizune looked up in surprise for a moment before mirroring Rin's frown. “I'm not positive since it isn't on our maps anymore, but I think we were,” she finally admitted.
“Were the ninja that you ran into passing through or did it look like they were there for a reason?” Itachi asked.
“Couldn't tell. Although it was obvious that they were surprised to see us so they weren't targeting Konoha shinobi for once,” Genma said, watching as Tsume took pity on her dog and picked up Nakera to stop the toddler from tormenting him. The little girl looked up at the older woman curiously before reaching up to poke at the Inuzuka woman's signature fang tattoos.
“So you weren't targeted specifically, but did they seem to be targeting the others specifically when they separated you?” Rin asked.
“No.”
“Great. So a bunch of Sound ninja made it into Fire Country in an area they decimated in the past but not in one they have anything to do with now and we don't know why,” Rin muttered to herself, running a hand through Rishito's hair as he looked up at her.
“Will you head towards Settei and just see if you can find a trail?” Shizune asked.
“Probably, Pakkun or one of the others should be able to pick up Kakashi's trail even if it is old by this point. As long as there wasn't too much rain or anything to wipe it away,” Rin commented.
“Do you need anything else?” Itachi asked finally hoping to end this meeting before Tsume, Shikato, and Hiashi started pressing for real answers. The three had been on the council of Clan heads longer than any other former members and were keeping nearly as much from the Hokage as Rin herself was.
“Not right now. But I'd like to request that you and Kakashi agree to meet with the Clan heads at some time in the near future,” Shikato told Rin.
“We'll see. The next few years will be very busy encouraging Itachi to procreate and all,” Rin commented taking Nakera back from Tsume.
“I'm certain you have far more important projects than that to focus on,” Hiashi muttered derogatorily.
“Of course,” Rin replied moving closer to the door. When none of the others called her back, she walked out with Itachi and Rishito following behind her.
“What's the earliest your team will be able to leave tomorrow?” Rin finally asked when they were safely outside Itachi's apartment.
“First thing in the morning. We'll meet up with Iruka, get the mission, and be out of the gates with the early traffic,” Itachi assured quietly pointing to his two students asleep in the front room.
“I know Inari lives in the dorms but don't you think Moegi's parents will worry a bit?” Rin asked following Itachi out of the front room while Rishito settled in on the couch.
“Our training has been known to run over so they don't think it's odd as long as she checks in once a week.”
“Fair enough I suppose,” Rin muttered bidding Itachi goodnight.
 
 
Moegi and Inari woke with a start early the next morning when someone knocked harshly at the door to Itachi's apartment. The two exchanged a confused glance and Moegi began to stand but Rishito reached over from the couch and stopped her. He pointed down the hall as a door opened and Itachi angrily walked towards the door motioning for all three Genin to move out of sight. Once they were squared away in the kitchen, he yanked the door open and glared at the messenger on the other side.
The unfortunate female Chuunin stared wide eyed at the sleep tousled and shirtless Uchiha and had to swallow a blush at his appearance. “I hope you came here to do more than stare,” Itachi growled.
“Koharu-sama requests that Chiyu Rin meet with her within the hour,” the young woman stated nervously.
“She couldn't wait until after the sun rose?” Itachi asked causing the woman's eyes to widen as she once again swallowed nervously.
“She is eager to speak with Chiyu-san,” was all the girl managed say before Itachi slammed the door in her face.
He waited until he heard the messenger leave before turning back and nodding towards the doorway of the spare bedroom where Rin was watching him with a frown. “They must have seen me last night or something,” she finally said with a shrug. “Though I'm not sure what they think they'll get out of me.”
“Should we just leave now or do you want us to hold off on leaving until you've spoken with them?” Itachi asked.
“Neither. We can't leave now because I'm sure the gate guards have probably been told to watch for us. The two of us could make it out but not with these three or Nakera and it would be just plain dumb to leave them at this point,” Rin told him.
“What do you mean neither?” Itachi asked suspiciously.
“I'll leave in a bit to speak with Koharu, although I'm sure at least Homura will be there too. If you really want my advice, ask Shizune to watch Nakera and take your team to get a mission as normal. Iruka will give you the mission and you can head out. If they don't cause trouble I'll follow as soon as I'm finished with them,” Rin suggested.
“And if they do cause trouble?” Itachi asked.
“Then here's to hoping Tsume still doesn't hate me and Hiashi wants me alive enough to step in.”
Rishito looked at his mother in alarm, but neither she nor Itachi were paying him the slightest attention. “If I listen to you and do this Kakashi will kill me when I find him and tell him I left you here,” Itachi pointed out.
“Calm down. The elders want to save their hides right now. They can't risk bringing too much attention to themselves by doing something that Tsunade will heavily question when she returns. Kyokki, Eiki and Hana will be enough to help you find Kakashi, Anko and Inuzuka. You can send Takara with these three down to Anraku. If Sho hasn't already returned then they can tell Mitsutori where I am and she'll know what to do,” Rin assured him.
“What do we do?” Moegi asked.
“Wait here,” Rin said walking back to the room she had slept in. She returned a moment later and handed a small scroll bag to Moegi. “In this is the original scroll that Suzu sent me and the one that contains directions and findings from Shizune and me. Suzu will be able to follow it without a problem. If Suzu was targeted and is out of commission then give it to Hana - she knows enough about poisons and shinobi medicine that she'll be able to follow the directions as well,” Rin explained before turning to Itachi, “If that's the case she'll have to stay in Hifukidake. If you think Eiki and Kyokki aren't enough, ask to borrow one or two guards. Even though Rishito and Moegi are Chuunin, none of these three will be able to help if the Sound nin are holding up against Anko and Kakashi.”
“How long do we wait for you in Hifukidake? You mentioned going back to Anraku,” Rishito pointed out.
“If Hana isn't needed in the capital and goes with Itachi you three should stick with Takara. If she is needed there then stay with her. If she isn't, then leave the capital tomorrow morning and head for Anraku. They might send a guard with you if they want to contact the Daimyo but you won't need help on the trip. If I get out of here and know I won't be able to make it there before tomorrow morning I'll just go straight to Anraku first.”
Rishito opened his mouth to ask why they couldn't take Nakera with them when lazy knocking at the door interrupted him. Itachi frowned and opened the door without bothering to tell his students to get out of the way.
“Has someone from the elders already come to speak to Rin?” a very tired looking Genma asked without bothering with greetings.
“Of course,” Itachi snorted, sparing a glance to the blonde teen next to Genma.
“Tsume told me to stick with Rin if she actually intends to meet with them. And I checked on the way over, the guards at the gate probably won't let her sneak out,” Genma said.
“Did the elders call the clan heads together?” Rin asked.
“Yeah, that's why she sent me over. Ino's here in case Itachi's still gonna get out of town. She'll watch Nakera if they aren't taking her.”
“Give me a minute and I'll be ready to go,” Rin finally said tiredly.
“Something tells me this'll be the last time she voluntarily sets foot in this village,” Ino muttered as Rin disappeared.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Naruto yawned as he followed Sakura down the hall to Izumi's nursery. With Lian and Reiko away in Hidden Mist with the Daimyo, the trio was supposed to have the entire week off to relax and make fun of Takara as she continued with classes. The `epidemic', as Suzu continued to call it while refusing to allow Sakura to help with the inflicted patients, had ruined that vacation as they had been stuck with babysitting duties. “At least Raiko's old enough to be interesting,” Sakura scolded as Naruto continued to lag behind.
“Yeah so why don't we just leave the tyke to nap? All they need to do is ask a random staff member to come change her diaper every few hours,” Naruto argued.
“In case you haven't noticed, there aren't any random staff members around.”
“I'll stop complaining the minute Suzu tells us what's really going on,” Naruto smirked up at her.
“I understand the psychology Naruto but do you really have to complain even when she isn't around?”
“I don't complain all the time. Sasuke hit me last time I started to complain in front of him. You on the other hand are more likely to complain to Suzu for me so I keep it up around you,” Naruto grinned earning a hard smack from Sakura. He giggled as she brushed by him to enter Izumi's room. Naruto moved to follow her but stopped fast at the door.
“Act normal Naruto,” Sakura hissed.
“I hate this,” Naruto muttered back to her as he walked farther into the room and stopped in front of the crib where Izumi was snoozing snuggling up near a large bear and a pile of blankets.
“If I cancel it-”
“Just pick up what you see as the baby. I'll grab her. Canceling it will tell them we know they're here. Just don't take anything else,” Naruto told her.
“I don't sense anyone watching us,” Sakura replied.
“We'll keep an eye out when we're outside and we'll clue the guards in,” Naruto assured her reaching down to pick up the pile of blankets. “She might get cold,” he joked when Sakura stared at the blankets in disbelief.
“Right let's go. This is getting weird even for me,” she muttered exiting the room. At the end of the hall, she finally canceled the genjutsu that had been placed on the baby Naruto was carrying and the pile of blankets in her own arms. They quickly traded charges and made their way out of the building stopping briefly to tell Kano about the genjutsu.
“What was the point of it?” Sakura asked, as they neared Sasuke, Takara and Raiko.
“They hoped that we would leave the baby there but think we still had her. That would give them time to get away with the real kid.”
“Why not take her in the first place when they placed the genjutsu?” Sakura asked. “They would have needed contact to place such localized jutsu.”
“Not a clue. I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that half of the staff is out of commission at the moment and the fact that they conveniently asked three people who have more training as bodyguards than as nannies to watch the brats,” Naruto shrugged.
“What was convenient?” Sasuke asked moving away as Takara repeated the rules to whatever game she was teaching him.
“The fact that someone is trying to kidnap at least Izumi at the same time that we were asked to baby-sit,” Naruto replied nonchalantly, handing the blankets he was holding to Sakura so that she could let the little girl continue her nap.
“Did you see anyone?” Sasuke asked.
“No, I figured one of us could stay here with Takara but I told Kano that we'd look around. He's putting the guards on alert,” Naruto explained.
“I'll stay. Either of you would just get bored or antsy sitting around here,” Sakura declared grinning cheekily at them.
“Fair enough. We'll check back in later. If you run into trouble, alert us somehow and then get Takara, Izumi and Raiko inside. The guardhouse would probably be best.”
Sakura hummed in agreement to Sasuke's statement and turned back to watching Izumi sleep. “You wanna play?” Raiko asked looking over as Sasuke and Naruto took off.
“Neh. I think I'm gonna follow your sister's lead and sleep for a bit. I'll teach you a new game when I wake up,” Sakura promised him stretching out next to the baby.
She had barely managed to drift off when she snapped awake half an hour later. “What's wrong?” Takara asked, as Sakura quickly stood up and began looking around a bit frantically.
“I don't know yet but pack up,” Sakura ordered bending down to pick up Izumi. She muttered something that Takara couldn't hear and wrapped the little girl in a blanket holding her closely.
“Is that smoke?” Takara asked suddenly pausing as she helped Raiko pick up his toys. Sakura followed Takara's gaze and her eyes widened.
“I think we need to get these two inside now. Someone tried to trick us into leaving Izumi behind today. I think they might have decided to make themselves known. Leave the rest of his stuff; we'll get it when things have calmed down,” Sakura stated, pulling Izumi closer and turning down the path away from the fountain they had been playing by.
“Hana,” Takara hissed catching up to Sakura and pulling Raiko along beside her. “What do you mean someone tried to trick you in the nursery? What's going on?”
“We think a ninja was planning on kidnapping Izumi. That's why Eiki and Kyokki have been gone. That smoke was one of them setting something on fire; I mean it had to be, who else here - aside from me - would do that?” Sakura reasoned.
“How did they trick you?”
“Genjutsu. We didn't break it until we were out of the nursery but it was definitely there,” Sakura responded pausing briefly when they reached a fork in the path. “You know, its days like this when I suddenly hate this garden.”
“Wh…oh yeah I can see why,” Takara trailed off looking at the heavily bordered paths and high hedges. “It's great to escape from Reiko but damn is visibility bad.”
“I don't care about the visibility. But with these two, we'll have to stick to the paths and that makes us easier to find. It limits our escape.”
“So maybe we should wait for Naruto-”
“Take the baby and keep walking,” Sakura growled shutting Takara up as quickly as possible.
Raiko eyed Sakura curiously as she unwrapped the chain from around her waist. “Maybe we should signal them like Kyokki said,” Takara suggested remembering to use the correct name.
“Signaling them will tell whoever's here exactly where we are. If Kyokki and Eiki can leave to find us then they won't need a signal.”
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Itachi was actually fairly surprised at how easy it had been to get his team out of Konoha. Aside from being forced to leave Rin and Nakera behind - which he would never hear the end of from Sakura and Kakashi - they had met no resistance upon picking up the false mission scroll from Iruka. The guards had been almost too polite, polite to the point that he had been overly suspicious and had spent the first ten kilometers of their trip checking to see if they were being followed before he realized that they had probably been too polite because they new he was pissed off at the Elders and didn't want to give him a reason to take it out on them.
As they arrived at the Daimyo's palace all worries from Konoha were driven from his mind by the first guard who spotted them. “Uchiha-san. We weren't expecting you.”
“Rin sent us. We have information for Suzu or whoever she left in charge of the medical wing,” Itachi answered.
“Of course, right this way. And if you have a minute afterwards I'd appreciate your help. Kyokki said he and Hana noticed something odd when this morning but aside from Suzu we don't have anyone who could verify it.”
“What happened?”
“Because of the…illness we're short staffed. The brats have been watching Raiko and Izumi - the Daimyo's grandchildren - for the past week. This afternoon Hana and Kyokki went to pick up Izumi after her nap and claimed that someone had placed a localized genjutsu on the baby. They said it looked like someone was trying to get them to leave the baby unattended,” Kano stated.
“You think they were lying?” Itachi asked.
“Hell no. Those brats don't joke about stuff like this. I was going to get Suzu to take a look at the nursery to see if there were any traces left but she can't really leave the medical wing and I don't want to blow it by having Kyokki, Eiki or Hana go back up there.”
“Rishito, you've been here before and know where the medical wing is, right?” Itachi asked.
“It's been a few years but yeah,” Rishito commented.
“Moegi give the scroll to Rishito. He and Inari will take it up to Suzu. We'll go to the nursery now,” Itachi said turning to Kano and indicating him to take them there first.
“Should we stay up there or try to find you when you're done?” Inari asked.
“Just stay out of Suzu's way if she tells you to. If she can't use your help, tell the closest guard to point you towards Lady Shijimi's chamber and wait there. I'll send your sensei up there when we're done,” Kano answered first.
Rishito nodded as Inari took the scrolls from Moegi and the two continued down the hall that Kano had led them to while Itachi and Moegi followed Kano back the way they had come. “What's going on?” Inari finally asked once his sensei had disappeared.
Rishito turned to him nervously and admitted, “I heard my mom talking to Inuzuka Tsume. Apparently, someone has been poisoning staff members here but Suzu didn't have information about new poisons and so she couldn't diagnose it. The scroll will tell her how to treat it.” He looked around for a moment before finally recognizing the double doors that led into the infirmary.
“What about the genjutsu? Are they trying to threaten the Daimyo by going after his family?”
“Your guess is as good as ours kid,” a woman in a guard's uniform commented opening the door to the wing and looking at them curiously. “Is that for Suzu?”
“Yeah. It's the instructions for the antidote.”
“Come on in. She at the last bed in the hall at the moment so scurry on down. That should relieve some of her stress.”
“Maybe she'll stop biting our heads off then,” another guard murmured frowning as he looked around the room. Inari's eyes widened when he realized that almost every bed in the room was full. Some of the beds looked like they had been brought in from normal bedrooms and didn't actually belong in the medical wing.
“What do you mean Rin's still in Konoha?” Suzu shrieked pulling Inari's attention back to his teammate as he stuttered in face of the older woman's wrath and tried to explain that it hadn't really been Rin's choice even if it sounded like it had.
“Itachi should have left her there,” Suzu stated angrily taking the scroll from Rishito's hand and ignoring his stuttering.
“But we had to bring that so that you could start it and the longer we waited the less likely it would have been for us to be let out even on a mission,” Rishito finally managed to stay.
“Hey um…I didn't notice a lot of smoke coming in but is there a chimney or something over there?” Inari interrupted before Suzu had the time to turn on Rishito.
The two guards at the front of the room hurried over as Suzu looked up at the window he was pointing to and gasped. “Is that the brats? It isn't like them to be playing a joke at a time like this, right?” the female guard asked.
“That's not from them. Hana's in the garden and Kyokki and Eiki were on the outer wall,” Suzu stated. “Go find out what just happened. Inari and Rishito can stay here and help me.”
The two guards had barely made it to the door when the sound of loud explosion echoed through the building. “Was that…the nursery?” Suzu asked in horror staring out the window towards the Daimyo's residence.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“How long ago did they take the baby out of the nursery?” Itachi asked as Kano led the into the Daimyo's residence.
“Would've been maybe an hour ago. They haven't been gone long.”
“And Hana is the only one with Takara and the kids?”
“Eiki and Kyokki are on the walls. Last I checked they had a perfect view of them in the garden.”
“Has anyone suspicious been seen entering the building all day? Or has anyone been transferred into here because of the poisoning?” Itachi asked.
“No to the first. Unfortunately yes to the second.”
“Anyone who might have sympathies with one of the Daimyo's opponents, like Lord Isamu?”
“Not that I know but I tend to have trouble keeping track of anyone who isn't main staff,” Kano admitted. “They planned it that way, didn't they?” he added a moment later in frustration.”
“Probably. But why go after the grandkid. Isn't Lady Shijimi still here?”
“Yeah, she's in the main building all day. Maybe they were going for ransom. It might not be political…it would be odd but possible. This is the room. From what they told me, the jutsu disguised a lump of blankets as the baby and vice versa. The both recognized the genjutsu so they each picked up a different pile and waited until they were at the end of the hall before releasing it. What they didn't look for was a source,” Kano explained.
“Both the baby and the blankets were in the crib though?” Moegi asked.
“Yeah.”
“Which means if it might have just been placed on that,” Itachi stated activating his sharingan as Moegi looked around the rest of the nursery. “I can tell that it was cast…it almost seems like it wasn't canceled in here,” he muttered. “Did they say what clued them into the fact that there was a genjutsu used?”
“Nope but I don't typically question them about ninja stuff. What they know they know,” Kano shrugged.
Itachi nodded and got down on the ground before sliding on his back under the crib. It didn't even take him a minute to find the tag that had been used to place the genjutsu on the crib. He had begun to peel it off when he heard Moegi curse and rush towards the window. “Is that a fire?” she called back to Kano. Itachi began to move out from under the crib to see what they were looking at when he noticed a second tag under the one he had peeled off.
“Kano…is this building empty?”
“Yeah, why?”
“Get out of the room now,” Itachi stated pushing the crib off of him and away from the door. “They wired it we need to get out now,” he said jumping up and pulling Moegi away from the window. They had barely cleared the doorway with Kano just in front of them when Itachi sensed the trigger explode behind them. He pushed Kano out of the way and shoved Moegi against a wall before covering her.
“Well at least it was small,” Kano muttered uncovering his face and glancing over to make sure Itachi and Moegi were okay. He snickered when he noticed that Itachi's head seemed to have been a bit singed. In fact, unless he was very much mistaken Itachi's hair had been several inches longer when he had arrived. “I don't believe it,” Itachi growled reaching back and running a hand through his hair. He was fairly certain that if he could find a mirror he would find that it now looked very much like his brother's had when he was a child.
Moegi blinked up at him trying desperately not to laugh at his situation as she tried to focus on what had just happened. “I think maybe we should find Hana,” she suggested glancing at the decimated nursery.
“Whoever set this up will go after them if they saw this,” Kano agreed. “And if the smoke is anything to go by they're already here.”
“Did you say Hana would be in the garden?” Itachi asked.
“Yeah, but the might be heading back to the guard house if they saw the smoke or the explosion.”
“We'll go straight there. Find Eiki and Kyokki and have them meet us there,” Itachi stated.
“Do you want me to find your other students?” Kano shouted as Itachi and Moegi moved to leave the building through the gaping hole that had been the nursery.
“If you run into them just make sure they're doing something useful,” Itachi called back.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Sakura stared in shock at the smoke billowing out of what used to be the nursery. “Was that their goal?” Takara whimpered, pulling Raiko closer to them.
“Okay Kyokki, now would be a good time for you and Eiki to show up,” Sakura muttered looking around.
“Will they be able to find us?” Takara asked.
“Just keep moving towards the guard house. If we're lucky they don't have someone on staff who told them we came out here this afternoon.”
“On staff…” Takara trailed off. “Are you serious?”
Sakura remained silent as she looked around nervously and continued to push the others further. “We have company. Just keep them close to you and keep moving whenever possible,” she stated after a moment.
“How many?”
“Two…maybe three? I can't really tell. Just be ready because they're good.”
“How am I supposed to be ready? I'm holding an infant,” Takara retorted.
“Then just make sure I'm in between you and whoever it is. And make sure to keep Raiko with you. Don't let him break off from us if he gets scared.”
“What's going on?” Raiko whimpered.
“Just promise to do what she said and stay near me, okay?” Takara told him.
A moment later two men skidded around the corner of the nearest intersection and turned towards Sakura and the others. Two more appeared a moment later in response to a shout, jumping over nearby hedges to land in the same lane. “Give us the kids.”
“Sound?” Sakura asked, trying not to gape at the forehead protectors. Even though Sound had been becoming more aggressive towards the ninja, it was bit bolder than normal for them to engage in an attack on the Daimyo.
“Give us the kids Nami or this time we really will finish what we started in Settei,” one of the jumpers sneered.
Sakura's eyes narrowed and Takara shifted Izumi until she was safely in her left arm and her right arm was free. “Walk backwards Raiko,” she hissed gently nudging him away from the Sound ninja. Sakura shuffled slowly after them waiting for the ninja to make a first move; however, they seemed reluctant to actually attack.
“You obviously don't actually want them dead. That means the explosion wasn't targeting Izumi,” Sakura said.
One of the men in front of her laughed at her statement. “No that means someone was dumb enough to remove the genjutsu tag and activate the exploding note underneath it,” he remarked.
Sakura fought the urge to growl and hoped that Naruto, Sasuke, and Kano hadn't been dumb enough to go back on their own. With the men in front of her still not attacking, the wheels in her head began to spin wildly as she tried to figure out just how to get Takara, Raiko, and Izumi as far away as possible before they did make a move. “What a day to forget the oil,” she muttered to herself before perking up suddenly. “Takara,” she whispered moving away from the ninja much more quickly so they wouldn't be as likely to hear her. “When you reach that corner, turn left and run as fast as you can. Make sure you don't get forced back this way.”
“What are you doing?” Takara asked as Sakura shifted her grip on the chain whip in her hands and brought them together in a seal.
“Just go!”
The ninja's eyes widened as Takara took off and Sakura's hands flew through several seals before she brought her hands to her mouth. Instead of aiming at the men in front of her, she turned to her left, exhaling a stream a flames into the hedge wall. Before the men could recover, she repeated the process on her right and sighed when she noticed the hedges still burning. Hopefully the fire would deter them from pursuing without dealing with her first. And maybe if she was lucky it would bring people towards them even faster.
She wasn't surprised when two of the ninja attempted to get past her anyways. They jumped into the lane to her left and tried to go around the burning bushes. “Since you've blocked off your only chance at following them-”
Sakura ignored the man in front of her and jumped effortlessly over the hedge as well. She could just barely see the two other ninja as they continued to skirt the edge of the burning hedges looking for a way past the fire. Ignoring it completely Sakura simply jumped past it and took off after Takara and the others keeping an ear out as she heard the other two ninja running down the lane they had started out in. They cleared the corner and turned left just before her and she lunged at the one nearest, knocking him off his feet. She took a moment to knock his head against the path but didn't stop see if it had even stunned him before she was back on her feet and chasing after his partner.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Itachi cursed when he saw the hedges in front of him go up in flames and he reached out stopping Moegi in her tracks. “Hana's probably at the source of this,” he muttered to himself.
“But fighting or running?” Moegi asked.
“That depends on if the kids are with her or Takara. You still know how to walk up trees right?”
“Of course.”
“Then get going. You can take the tops of the hedges that aren't on fire. Just find them and help them get wherever they're going.”
“What about you?”
Itachi didn't have the chance to answer her question as two Sound nin jumped over the hedge next to them and stared at Itachi in shock. He waved Moegi off and turned back to look at them. “You picked a very bad time to come across me,” he stated activating the sharingan.
“Orochimaru-sama has told us all about those eyes. We aren't afraid of you,” one of them boasted with a smirk growing on his face. His partner shifted back away from Itachi and waited until the other had attacked to take off in the direction that Moegi had gone.
“I really don't have time for you,” Itachi growled stepping into the attack and looking straight into the man's eyes. His opponent dropped unconscious a moment later and Itachi tossed him away. Figuring Kano would appreciate at least one living assailant to question Itachi grabbed the man and headed back out of hedge maze hoping that by the time he got back the fire would have died down enough for him to actually go after his student.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Takara glanced apologetically at Raiko as she continued to pull him through the lanes and towards the guardhouse. She still didn't understand why none of the guards had appeared yet, especially after Sakura started a massive fire in the garden. She skidded to halt suddenly when she recognized her surroundings. “No, no how did we get back here?” she whined when she saw the fountain they had been playing by earlier. “Damn it I'm in this stupid maze almost every day. I know it like I do my own house; how did I manage to get lost today?” she growled in frustration.
“But we should stay by water since there's a fire,” Raiko suggested trying to help her.
“Water could be good. Water could also be very bad if any of the ninja after us know water jutsu,” she muttered to herself. “Come on Kyokki, you're supposed to be the hero here.”
Her eyes widened when a ninja landed in front of her a moment later. “Oh come on. How did you even manage to find us this quickly?” Takara scowled not caring that it wasn't exactly a sensible time to argue.
Apparently, the ninja believed so as well. He actually appeared a bit amused by her outburst. “Unfortunately for you, your friend doesn't know how to make people stay down. And since you're dragging our targets around it isn't hard for me to find you,” he commented.
“You know what really annoys me. Orochimaru and his idiots routinely go after kids just because they're too afraid to go after their real opponents. He didn't send someone after Naruto because he was afraid of him. He sent someone after Naruto because he wanted to get back at Jiraiya and Tsunade. Just like he's going after these two now because he's afraid of the fact that the Daimyo and the Hokage might actually work together for the first time in a decade.
“And you know what, this is gonna backfire on him too. Because this is going to prove them both right. This going to make them see that have to work together because Orochimaru has to be taken down,” Takara stated handing Izumi to Raiko and moving in front of them. The younger boy shifted uncomfortably as he tried to get used to holding the baby and peered around Takara to watch the ninja nervously.
“You actually think you can stop me,” the man deadpanned watching the young woman as she pulled what looked like several folded fans out of her waistband.
“Not for good. But I can stop you until Hana shows up again,” Takara stated assuredly as she snapped one of the fans open. She spread the two outer spokes until they met forming a full circle. Holding it gingerly by the inch of iron that stuck out from the outer spokes, she waited for him to make the first move.
The man lunged forward intending to incapacitate her without a fight. However, he hadn't expected her to snap open a second fan and swipe up past his defenses. The razor edged fan sliced diagonally across his face narrowly missing his right eye. Before giving her the chance to use the other fan he dodged back his eyes widening when he realized that the girl in front of him had had some training; their leak hadn't told them that the kids current watchers were battle trained. He would have preferred to not use jutsu that could have called attention to them but he wasn't certain that he would be able to avoid it if the girl's defenses were as good as they had appeared to be.
Takara's opponent was so distracted by his sudden discovery that he didn't notice her slip a small shuriken out from her belt. She held it carefully against the circular fan waiting for a chance to throw it when he moved again. “Girl if you don't get out of my way, you'll be as dead as your cousin. Now move and give me the kids,” the man growled taking a step towards her. Takara waved the fan in front of her letting go of the shuriken mid-wave. The man gritted his teeth when he felt it bite into his hand. “That's it kid. You had your chance. I'm not here to play.”
“Raiko move,” Takara hissed pushing him back as the man lunged forward again. She swept the razor edged fan in front of her again catching the man's sleeve but not the muscle she aiming at. Her eyes widened when she stepped back and nearly tripped over Raiko who had fallen himself when he tried to move too quickly. Takara's opponent caught her arm before she could fall over them and dragged her past them.
“Let go,” Takara growled, kicking forward and hitting just below the knee. The man stumbled but she hadn't kicked hard enough to dislocate it. The kick was apparently the last straw; her opponent tossed her aside towards the fountain. She hadn't had the chance to catch herself when her head hit the lip of the fountain.
“Nami-san!” Moegi screamed jumping off the last hedge and darting towards the older girl. The man who had thrown her cursed at Moegi's appearance when he saw the forehead protector. He turned towards the Daimyo's grandchildren but couldn't get a step closer when Moegi dashed in front of him. “Stay away from them,” she growled pulling out a kunai and keeping her right hand free in case she needed to make hand seals.
“Are you even a Chuunin? Do you really expect to be able to do anything to stop me?”
“I can stop you until my sensei gets here,” Moegi stated. She looked far less certain a moment later when a second ninja dropped in the same way she had.
“The kids are actually here?” he asked walking to stand next to the second man. “And all we have to do is go through one more kid.”
“Don't dawdle or it'll two more. I don't think I managed to lose the red head,” a third ninja stated entering the clearing from the same path that Takara had taken. Moegi was having a bit of difficulty remaining calm in the face of three grown ninja.
“Uchiha is here too. Must be this kid's sensei. If Amado can't distract him for long he'll be on his way here,” the second claimed.
“I'm not going up against an Uchiha, let's finish this,” the third man stated. He was cut off a moment later when a chain snagged his neck. There was an ominous snap a moment later as the tension of the chain tightened and the man collapsed as Sakura panted on the top of the hedges surrounding the inner garden.
“Moegi, move the kids,” Sakura stated jumping down. She dropped her end of the whip instead of bothering to unwrap it from the dead man's neck. She spared Takara's limp body a glance and prayed that she had only been knocked unconscious, at least she'd be able to tell Naruto that Takara had actually managed to wound her opponent. Moegi moved back and took the baby from Raiko and helping him begin to move from where he had cemented himself to the ground. She glanced at the baby in concern as she continued to sleep. “Raiko, has the baby stayed asleep this entire time?”
Raiko turned to stare at her and nodded in confusion. “Hana?” Moegi said nervously looking between the older girl and the baby.
“It's genjutsu. Don't cancel it until the fight is over,” Sakura stated.
Moegi breathed a sigh of relief and handed the baby back to Raiko. “Just stay with me,” she muttered, looking at the top of the hedges expectantly. The air around them was filled with smoke as the fire spread but she couldn't see her sensei anywhere.
“I am so pissed off right now,” Sakura stated as the two ninja continued to watch her closely. “It was bad enough when you came to my home. At least there was some threat to Sound at that time. There is nothing that Orochimaru could hope to gain here. There is nothing that Isamu could have hoped to gain by sending Orochimaru's men here. They sent you here out of boredom and spite after two kids under ten years old. How the hell can you live with yourselves following such inept orders?”
“I'm getting really sick of these kids talking back,” the first ninja muttered, reaching up to wipe the blood off his face.
The second ninja took a moment to look between Sakura and Moegi before turning to the latter and pushing the other towards Sakura. “You handle the bitch; I'll handle the whelp,” he declared.
“That's not your choice,” Sakura muttered as a chakra scalpel engulfed her left hand and she grabbed a kunai with her right.
“Kid blocking our path out here with that little stunt of yours was stupid, now we have no choice but to waste out time fighting you until the fire clears and we can take those brats out of here. Stop thinking you have the upper hand,” her opponent stated easily dodging to the side when Sakura charged him. Sakura smirked as the man's movement gave her a clear path towards his partner. The second ninja was so focused on waiting for Moegi to make a move that he barely managed to dodge Sakura's hit and the chakra scalpel skimmed his side cutting a large gash.
“Moegi move them towards Takara so that we have fewer targets to avoid,” Sakura hissed moving past the younger girl. She bounded off the lip of the fountain and back flipped back towards both of the ninja. She landed briefly on the shoulder of the first ninja before jumping off harshly and sending him staggering. When she landed again, she noticed that Moegi had led Reiko and Izumi over towards Takara and had them lie low to the ground to avoid being hit on accident.
“Stay here. They don't want you hurt either so they won't target you,” Moegi whispered before moving away from Raiko. “Shinjuu Zanshu no Jutsu,” she whispered performing the hand seals before sinking into the ground behind the children.
She reappeared on the other side of her opponent while he turned to check on his teammate and Sakura. She slipped out two shuriken and prayed that she remembered the right hand seals and that she was fast enough to pull off her plan. Throwing the two shuriken at their opponents Sakura glanced over just in time to see Moegi complete a string of hand seals. “Shuriken Kage Bunshin no Jutsu,” Moegi said before continuing onto another string of hand seals and disappearing.
Sakura vaulted away from the two Sound ninja and landed awkwardly at the edge of the garden just as Moegi reappeared in front of Takara and the Daimyo's grandchildren with her belt held out in front of her. Her right arm was held perpendicular to the belt and when the shuriken cloud she had sent at the two ninja continued towards her, they simply bounced off the chakra shield that the belt emitted.
“Screw this,” Sakura's opponent snarled pulling two of the shuriken out of his arm and sparing a glance for his last teammate's body. “Suiton Suishouha.”
“Moegi get down!”
Moegi's eyes widened and she saw Sakura rise unsteadily onto her feet and push off towards them. She felt Sakura's crash into them a moment before they were engulfed in water. The water drained out of the central garden a moment later leaving the entire group sopping wet and coughing.
“Moegi, check to make sure Takara's breathings. Be careful but if you need to roll over gently onto her side to help her cough up any water she swallowed,” Sakura panted, pulling Izumi away from her terrified brother.
“Don't hurt her!”
“I'm just going to wake her up. And then we're going to get you two out of her, alright?” Sakura told him soothingly.
“No. Leave her alone! You'll hurt her just like you two hurt them!”
“Raiko. I'm not arguing with you right now,” Sakura stated canceling the genjutsu on the baby. The moment it was off the baby began to sniffle and whimper uncomfortably as she realized that she was surrounded by wetness. As she came fully awake, she began bawling loudly and Raiko glared at Sakura as she tried to calm the baby down. “Moegi is she breathing?” Sakura asked ignoring the younger boy for a moment. “Moegi?” she repeated when the younger girl didn't answer right away.
“Huh? Oh yeah, she's breathing. Her head is…is bleeding though.”
Sakura nodded and set Izumi in her lap for a minute shifting to remove her jacket and toss it to Moegi. “Just place that under head for now,” she ordered ignoring the painful twinge in her right leg.
“Was Itachi with you?” she asked a moment later once again startling Moegi out of her daze.
“Um…yeah. I think one of the ninja we ran into must have fought him,” Moegi answered, not raising her eyes to meet Sakura's.
“Did you hit your head too? Are you hurt?” Sakura asked in concern trying to scoot over towards the Chuunin while still ignoring Raiko's incensed glare in her direction.
“Fine. Can you heal her?”
“I don't want to out here. I don't have anything to make sure it isn't infected and if I just seal the cut, it'll be harder to do so. I'll take care of her when Itachi and those lazy ass guards finally find us and help us get back inside.”
“Speak of the devil,” Sakura muttered as Itachi landed in the garden a moment later followed by Kano and two other guards. The three guards looked at the area - especially the two dead bodies - in shock.
“Tell her to let go of Izumi!” Raiko shouted pointing over to Kano the moment he recognized the guard.
“Huh?”
“Tell her to let go of Izumi. She'll hurt her,” Raiko insisted.
Kano appeared completely baffled by Raiko's statement and turned to Sakura for help. “Just take the baby so he'll stop arguing. And get them inside so they can dry off or they'll end up sick as well,” Sakura stated holding the baby up towards the two guards.
“Was it full team that attacked here?” Itachi finally asked, catching Kano and the other guards off as they moved to pick up Takara and the Daimyo's grandchildren.
“Yeah. One of them got away,” Sakura said pushing herself to her feet. Her eyes widened when she placed too much weight on her right leg but she managed to remain standing.
“Got away?” Itachi asked turning to her.
“Yes got away. As in blasted us with water and then took off, leaving us here completely defenseless because for some reason no one decided to come check out why a massive fire was started in the garden,” Sakura retorted.
“Or perhaps because of that massive fire you started in the garden no one could get through to you,” Itachi countered.
“Yes because Uchiha Itachi, Jounin of Konoha, former member of the Akatsuki doesn't know how to use a single Suiton jutsu to extinguish the fires,” Sakura growled.
“I was a bit busy making sure we actually had someone still alive and in our custody to question. Apparently, you didn't take that into consideration when you handled yourself here. Now we have two dead bodies and one ninja on his way back to Orochimaru.”
“You're blaming this on me?!” Sakura shouted.
“Umm…before you to get into a real fight perhaps we can go inside, find Kyokki and Eiki, and figure out what the hell to do next including possibly sending someone after the ninja who escaped?” Kano interrupted watching them nervously.
Itachi nodded and turned around to follow Kano out of the garden. “That jackass,” Sakura growled, turning to make sure that Moegi was following as well before limping after them. “Screw setting Kyokki and Eiki on him. I'll kill this time,” she muttered as Moegi spared the older girl a nervous glance and fell back to offer her help.
“Is your leg okay?”
“I'll handle it when we get inside,” Sakura assured her but she gratefully accepted Moegi's help and wrapped arm around the younger girl's shoulder to relieve some of the weight from her right leg.
 
 
Agent's Spiel: The first scene takes place the day after they returned Hifukidake and had the lovely argument over the Rasengan.
The scene after that is a time jump from the first scene (which took place middle of June) and takes place in December all three members of Team 7 are now 16. The rest of the chapter (starting with the jump to Konoha) takes place about a week later. One day is spent in Konoha. Itachi and his team leave the next morning and make it to Hifukidake by that afternoon.
 
Jutsu:
Shinjuu Zanshu no Jutsu - Double Suicide Decapitation Technique
Shuriken Kage Bunshin no Jutsu - Shuriken Shadow Clone Technique
The shield jutsu Moegi uses is a real one used after the time skip it's called: Chakra no Tate - Chakra shield. In the manga a puppet is used to emit chakra to form the shield; in this the belt is used the same way.
Suiton Suishouha - Water Collision Destruction