Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Art of the Angel ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
sound didn’t leave Hikari’s head, no matter how hard she tried. When she first opened her eyes to see what was happening, she knew something was terribly wrong. Gaara was in front of her, a couple feet away. He was on his knees to the floor, one hand reaching out to her direction and the other clasping his head. His eyes were widened with panic, and his body shook violently. Hikari found herself going to instincts and get out of bed to try and help him. Something suddenly pushed her back, and that was when Hikari finally became aware of what was happening. She looked down to see the sand that was slowly going up her body, and abruptly forced her back down on the couch. It was pressing on her body, but not really hardly. Hikari stared at the sand that was trying to assault her, confused with what was happening. Worry filled her head. Worry not for herself, but for Gaara. She gazed over at him, unsure of what to do, but willing to try anything at the moment. “Gaara, what’s wrong?”

That was when it happened. The thing that would now etch into her mind forever. Gaara lifted his head that was a first held down in agony, and screamed. The cry filled her hears and hit her inside. For that split moment, she was scared of Gaara. Her eyes widened as realization struck her in a hard blow. Her heart started to beat fast, and fatigue overcame her. That was the absolute same scream in her nightmare. The same scream of hatred Hikari was uncertain to who and why. Hikari was afraid that possibly… her nightmare was going to be a shadow of a terrible reality. Hikari made a quick snap out of her fright when she noticed the sand immediate slip away when Gaara stopped yelling. Shock still affected her, so Hikari couldn’t move. She only stared at Gaara’s face as he slowly got up. She looked into those aqua eyes of his. They practically held the weight of the world’s pain. Shame, desolation, indignation, and woe filled those eyes. They were eyes Hikari loved, but at times like this shown the imperfections of life. The unpleasant things that gave this person that look in his eyes. His eyes began to slowly close. “I’m sorry.” he said softly, and before Hikari could even make another move, he disappeared from the room in a flurry of sand.

Dead silence filled the room, but Hikari did not stay still. She heard a strange sound outside and rushed to the window. She saw Gaara reappear outside on the bottom floor. Her hands pressed on the glass, and her head hit the window. “Gaara!” she cried out. But it was obvious he wasn’t going to hear. She watched him run as fast he could, his hands in tight fists clenched. Hikari scuffled her fingers trying to open the window, but didn’t open it in time. Gaara vanished in the forest before Hikari knew it.

Temari and Kankuro ran in the room, both of them with worried expressions on their faces. Hikari’s gaze didn’t leave the window until Temari’s hand was on her shoulder. She shot her head over at Temari, her eyes starting to moisten. “Hikari, we heard some screaming. Where’s Gaara? Are you okay?” Hikari stared at Temari’s face with her slightly widened eyes. What was she to say? Hikari couldn’t find the events in front of her something she could explain so briefly for something that didn’t even occur in a large amount of time. Kankuro over to the two, but only looked out he window. “I can feel it Temari, he went in the forest. Something’s not right.” He said in a serious tone. Temari’s attention turned away from Hikari and to her brother. “You don’t think…” Her voice died off as she looked at Kankuro’s grim look. Temari got up and away from Hikari. “We should go then. We need to find him.” Temari looked at Hikari. “Hikari, stay here. It’s better you don’t-”

“-No!” Hikari interrupted. The two sand siblings stared at her with surprise with Hikari’s sudden interlude. Hikari held back the tears she could feel coming to her eyes. “I can’t just stay here when I know something’s wrong with Gaara! I just can’t! What’s going on?” She walked over and grabbed Temari’s arm, looking at her pleadingly. “I want to understand more. I saw Gaara… in such pain. I know I haven’t been with him for very long, so there’s probably so much I don’t know, but… let me know.” her voice came out from a small whisper. Hikari needed it. After seeing those deep emotions before he left, Hikari found herself back to the person she was back when she and Gaara first met. When she met him, she didn’t pity him, nor was she scared. She was curious. She wanted to understand Gaara then. And now she wanted to more than ever now.

Temari’s face saddened looking at Hikari. “Hikari, I would tell you but…” She looked at Kankuro. “Time is very limited. We need to go now, avoid possible things. I’m worried of what could happen if you come…” she explained. Hikari let go of Temari and shook her head. “Don’t worry about me Temari. Just let me go.” Hikari said in a soft voice, her eyes now teary. She couldn’t fully understand why she had the urge to cry, but her emotions were doing what they needed to. There was a momentary silence, but finally a sigh. “Okay Hikari, you can come.” Temari said. Kankuro opened the door, quickly putting on shoes. “Come on! Let’s go now!”

Hikari followed Temari and Kankuro down the stairs to a back emergency exit at the hotel. They headed for the forest, but took a quick stop. Temari turned her head around her shoulder to look at Hikari. “Hikari, you’ll need to keep up with me and Kankuro, grab my hand.” Temari reached out her arm and Hikari got it. Temari pulled Hikari up and put Hikari’s arm around Temari’s shoulder. Kankuro and Temari began to jump through the trees. Hikari kept a hold on Temari tightly, almost shocked on how Temari could withstand her weight as she jumped. “Keep an eye open for anything.” Kankuro said as they ventured through the trees. Hikari and Temari nodded in reply, it looked almost like they did in unison. Hikari looked all around her and under as they jumped through the air. Gaara left the hotel only minutes before the search began, so he couldn’t have gone far, could’ve he?

Hikari began to worry more about Gaara’s reactions. Was he going to run away? Did something about her get to him so much that he may leave and never come back. Hikari could tell she was crying now. The thought of Gaara leaving her was unbearable. It made her stomach ache with depression. I’ve spent such a great time with Gaara… The thoughts of deportation didn’t even come to her the whole time until now. Hikari didn’t want o turn to the thought of being away, but now…

A sudden crack filled the air, throwing Temari’s focus off from not expecting it, and roughly landed on another tree. Kankuro landed on another tree that was nearby. “That didn’t sound good.” he said to himself, but was loud enough for Temari to overhear and look at him nervously. “Think that was him?” she asked. Kankuro nodded slowly. “You guys mean… Gaara may have done that?” Hikari asked in incredulity. The faces the other two had showed Hikari enough to answer her. Hikari looked in the direction where she heard the clamor. Gaara…. Please.. What’s going on?

Temari looked at the apprehensive expression on Hikari’s face. “You sure you want to go with us? I… can’t assure you Gaara will… be okay.” she said, her voice hesitating at moments. There was something Temari didn’t want to admit, and that slightly annoyed Hikari. However, Hikari was too worried to care on her annoyances at the moment. “Take me.” she said in the tone she never even recollected ever using. It even made Kankuro and Temari stare at each other for a moment in alarm. Temari nodded and told Hikari to hold on. She jumped in the direction that the sound came from. There was nothing in sight, it was almost like the strange sudden crack was just a freak accident. Hikari didn’t lose hope and only continued her search. After a moment, Kankuro’s eyes slightly widened. “Wait!” he cried out. Temari and Hikari both looked at him, but it was too late.

Hikari soon saw a huge hot flare of bright red nearly smother her as a tree burst. Temari didn’t dodge the explosion quick enough and make a cry out in pain. Hikari stared wide-eyed as she started to plummet to the ground. A scream was ready to escape he mouth, until she heard a swoop. Kankuro had hastily grabbed Hikari and his sister and landed on the ground safely. He gently laid Temari on the ground. Hikari put her hand to her mouth, aghast. Kankuro’s face immediately showed signs of panic. “This isn’t good at all.”

A piece of wood from the tree that blew up had impaled Temari’s left leg. Blood had already run down from the wound at a precarious level. Tissues from her leg stuck out somewhat. Temari groaned in pain and was leaning up to see her injury. But Hikari quickly pushed Temari down. “Don’t move Temari. I don’t want anything worse to happen.” Hikari said worriedly. Temari obeyed her, and laid back with her face forcing itself to not look contorted in pain. No other parts of Temari’s body looked affected, but it seemed some of her clothes singed from the fire. “What happened back there?” Hikari asked, looking at Kankuro. “Well, trees don’t spontaneously explode. Good chance it was a bomb.” Hikari’s eyes widened. A bomb!?

Kankuro’s eyes narrowed, scanning the area around him. “Something’s going on, and it’s very close.” he said in a quiet tone. Hikari gulped, but slowly got to her feet. She looked at the tree that had exploded a moment ago, now ignited and blazing with fire. Something then caught her eye. The fire was starting to be put out by a floating mass surrounding it. Hikari squinted her eyes and tried to adjust the view. Realization hit her when Hikari could make out the material. Sand. That’s him! Hikari screamed in her head. “Gaara!” Hikari cried out, running towards the sand that was putting out the fire, hoping Gaara would be somewhere close to hear her and come back to her. She didn’t even acknowledge Kankuro’s calls for her come back. Kankuro couldn’t leave Temari’s side from her injury. He needed to get her to medical attention, but also needed to escort Hikari out of here safely. If not for Hikari’s sake, then for his brother’s. After the series of events, Kankuro had a very good guess to why Gaara had ran away. He only watched Hikari run away to what Kankuro could see some sand. Despite his worry, he could swear a part of him inside smiled and wished Hikari good luck. Did he believe Hikari could actually… suppress Gaara?

Hikari ran as fast as she could, staring at the sand putting out the fire. It was almost gone, and the sand was starting to recede. Still no sign of Gaara in sight. Hikari even turned her attention to the route the receding sand was going. The darkness of the forest made it difficult to see even a couple meters ahead of Hikari. The fire on the tree first was a light for her to locate the sand. Now that it was out, everything was now in a darkened deep blue haze, it seemed. But Hikari could hear it. People were nearby. There was sounds of feet stepping on the trees and grassy forest floor. Hikari even heard the sounds of weapons.

Hikari’s chest felt light as she ran through the forest. What was going on. Was Gaara fighting someone? Who could possibly be out here at this hour? Why did Gaara want to challenge him or her or accept the challenge? Those thoughts whirled in Hikari’s head along with a thousand more thoughts as she ran. However, Hikari was too lost in thoughts to realize her surroundings anymore. A big root of a tree stuck out of the ground cause Hikari to trip over, her face falling to the ground. A brief pain overcame Hikari’s body for a second or two, but she let it go, and got back to her feet, head still throbbing from the impact to the ground. But Hikari didn’t need to go any farther. Not too far away from her was Gaara. His back was too her, and was leaning a bit; a sort of position like he had something with both of his hands. Hikari couldn’t make out what was behind Gaara’s body for a second.

Gaara seemed to talking, but the all were incoherent from the distance Hikari was. The words were too slurred. Hikari began running closer to Gaara, all the details of the area becoming more visible. Hikari abruptly stopped when she could finally make out everything. Rei was against the tree. His body looked badly beaten, bruises and light blood stains were spotted on different places of his body that was visible from the sand that was wrapped around his body. His blonde hair was unruly and his eyes wild. Gaara’s hands was around Rei’s neck, constricting it. Rei made small gasping sounds. Gaara’s choking him… Hikari said to herself mentally. Her eyes widened as Rei’s words shot back to her. “That guy will destroy you! He’s the monster!” Her heart began thumping, unsure if what to do.

“You’ll never hurt Hikari again.” She heard Gaara say in this odd voice that… almost didn’t sound like Gaara’s. At least, not the usually calm, soft, and slightly monotone. It was filled more now with a threatening tenor Hikari never heard before. But.. It almost didn’t matter to her. The words she heard went straight to Hikari’s heart. Gaara was doing this for her. In a strange way at this awkward moment it felt… sweet. Hikari could even feel her eyes moisten. He cares about me. Hikari looked over at Rei’s face as it showed signs of loosing consciousness. Hikari suddenly felt dizzy seeing him suffer. She would never think of Rei the same after what he’s done. A part of her was even scared of him… but she didn’t want him to die.

She needed to think fast, and soon. Hikari had to decide. She didn’t approve of death, but Rei… he’s done so much. But then Gaara came to her. He wanted to protect her, and she… treasured that, but it ay affect his life. She would do this… for both of them. Fighting the deadening feeling of her legs, Hikari began running over to the two boys. She tenderly put her arms around Gaara’s back. She felt him flinch in surprise. “Stop!” Hikari cried, leaning her head on Gaara’s back. “You don’t have to do this!” Hikari didn’t want any trouble started because of her. So she decided to do what she thought was right.

“Hikari?” She heard Gaara ask, stunned to know she was there. “H-Hikari? I that y-you?” Rei’s voice choked out. “Gaara, you don’t need to do this for me.” Hikari said, her voice getting thick with emotion. Gaara didn’t say anything in reply for a moment. But then she felt his head lower. “Hikari… go away.” He said in a soft, whispery tone. Hikari’s grasp loosened for a split second. “W-what?” Those words hurt her, but confused Hikari even more. “I can’t risk you here Hikari. Get away from me.” he said again, and turned around, letting go of Rei’s neck but with one arm still up and with an opened hand. Rei’s head lowered helplessly, and the sand covering him only went up and held him tightly. Hikari let go of Gaara and her vision blurred at the corners with tears that began to sting her eyes. “Please Gaara….”

Hikari stopped short as she felt his hand on the side of her face. His palm was slightly abrasive, but Hikari still found the touch soothing. Hikari closed her eyes for a second, but then reopened them a bit. “.. I won‘t leave.” The words escaped her lips. Gaara stared at Hikari, right into her eyes. His face softened when he saw the tears forming. “Why don’t you want him to die?” he asked. “Because she loves me.” Hikari and Gaara looked over at Rei, whom said that with his head lowered and deep voice. He raised his head, a smirk on his face. “Tell him, Hikari. Tell him how great of a person I am to you.” he said.

“She doesn’t need to listen to you.” Gaara replied. Rei ignored Gaara and still looked at Hikari, expecting an answer. Hikari lowered her head. “Me and Rei… did have good times… I did like him…” Rei’s smile grew bigger. “And now you can’t stand the fact that he wants to kill me.” Hikari’s fists clenched, she could feel this anger inside of her spark. She seldom got mad about anything to the point where she showed signs, but this was different. She looked back at Rei with intensity. “You are too close to me, Rei! I love you, but not that way!” Gaara’s hand suddenly withdrew away from Hikari’s face, a blank look was on his face. “You..” he started in a low voice, “love him?” Hikari wiped her eyes to prevent early tears. She looked at Gaara and put both her hands on his free hand. “I do Gaara… I’ve known him for so long, I can’t hate him-”

Hikari’s hands were suddenly hurting with pressure. Sand suddenly went around her wrists, and she was viciously pushed back. She nearly fell to the floor, but quickly regained her balance. She looked back at Gaara, who for a second had a mix of shock and sadness on his face, but then altered to anger. “How… How can you not hate him!” Gaara said, his volume almost making it a yell. “Because compared to you, I’m okay.” Gaara turned his gaze to Rei, who continued on. “Because Hikari doesn’t like violence. And violence is what describes you. You’re such a liar. Making Hikari think you’re someone worth caring. Taking her away from me, taking her true love from me with your lies.” Gaara’s eyes widened. His pupils were small and even seemed to shake as the were transfixed on him. His shaking hand grabbed the sides of his ear, while the other still tried to stay in the air, but was failing miserably. “Shut up… Just stop it…” Gaara said.

Rei’s smile turned to a frown of disgust. “I wont stop the spread of the truth! You have done more to my sweet Hikari then you think I’ve done! I love her! You only lust her, you narcissistic monster! No one loves you! Nobody, so don’t think you can steal-”

SMACK

Gaara’s head shot up from the sound he heard. Rei’s eyes were widened, the side of his face reddened. Hikari held out the hand she struck Rei with, breathing heavily. Tears were starting to roll down her face, that was contorted with ire. Rei’s eyes moved back to Hikari. “You…. You didn’t…” Hikari pulled back her hand. “You’re wrong Rei! And for saying that, I have second thoughts! Maybe I gave you too early of a chance!” She walked over to Gaara, who stared at her in such amazement. Hikari’s face softened, and she put her arms around Gaara’s neck. She looked at Gaara for a second, and then at Rei. “You say that no one loves Gaara! You’re wrong…” Hikari’s voice got quieter and a sort of happy look came to her face. “I may be rushing myself, it had only been a few days. But… I love him.” She said.

Hikari turned her head to Gaara. He was still was astounded, but now even more than a second before. “You really do?” he asked weakly. Hikari smiled warmly, and nodded. She hugged him, burying her head on his shoulder. Gaara embraced Hikari in return, leaning in close to her ear, ready to say something. Rei stared, eyes growing wider as seconds passed with Gaara and Hikari holding each other. His head began to shake, as the intensity of his madness only grew at the sight.

“No…” It came out as a whisper, but then increased to a livid cry. “No…. No… NOOOO!!” With s strange crackling sound, Rei’s arms broke out of the sand encasing him. Hikari looked over at him, startled and made a slight gasp. Gaara loosened his grip on Hikari to try and get Rei down, but he wasn’t fast enough. Rei pulled himself out of the sand trapping him. His nostrils flared, sucking in air that was knocked out of him, and then from a burst of chakra in his feet, he dashed right towards Hikari.

Hikari felt a sharp pain at her neck and her head as it knocked against a tree with massive force. Rei glared at her with ferocity, teeth gritted rigidly, face reddening. He raised a hand and punched her across the face, making a high-pitched shriek escape Hikari’s mouth. Rei hit her again on the other side of her face, tears starting to roll down his face. “He’s brainwashed you! Snap out of Hikari! See the truth!!” He yelled with desperation. Hikari only tried to curl up to the fetal position, whimpering. She would wait until it stopped, like her dream. The room may not be white, and there was escape, but the evil shadow still remained.

“I love you Hikari! And you love me!” Rei said in a scary tone, pulling Hikari closer to his face. Brown, teary eyes that Hikari could now see the psychosis stared at her. In the corner of her eye, she saw Gaara heading straight for the two. Hurry! she screamed in her mind and try to say physically, but only a small voice escaped. Hikari soon heard a hissing sound as the sand went up Rei’s body and pulled him down. Hikari soon felt arms around her weak, shaking body. Gaara gazed at her worryingly, searching her body for any signs of injury. Her face ached in pain, but nothing else had really happened. He reverted back to Rei, who was seeming be writhing in the sand. Gaara’s eyes looked at Hikari. “This is why I want you to leave. I couldn’t stand seeing you hurt.” he said. “Now get out of here.”

“Gaara, as long as you’re here, I’m not worried.” Hikari said. She stared at Rei for a moment in her pause. Gaara’s head lowered. “You shouldn’t trust me so much. I can hurt you too.” Hikari looked at Gaara, confused. “W-what?” Gaara didn’t answer her. He let go and started walking toward Rei’s body, a collection of sand that even appeared to come from nowhere appeared. Hikari laid back on the tree. She knew where this was going. And now after all of this… she wasn’t going to stop Gaara. But why? She thought. Why did he say he could hurt me too? He doesn’t want to hurt me… does he?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

The sand formed a dome-shaped structure, covering Gaara and Rei. Gaara didn’t want Hikari to see this, for anger was getting the best of him and was just screaming now for Rei’s death. Rei was screaming all kinds of comments Gaara was ignoring and held out his arm, making sure this would be the last time. Rei fell silent as Gaara began closing his hand. He eyed it with almost a sort of curiosity, but resentment still filled his gaze.

“I’ll never forgive you.” Rei said in a great contrasting voice to the one he used a second ago. “You’ve ruined her. You’re making her live a lie, and love something she’s supposed to hate.” he said. His eyes narrowed. “I know what you did to her.” Gaara’s hand stopped. What was he talking about? “I’ve done nothing to her the whole time I was here, and you’re the one who made Hikari live with the lie that you are.” Gaara said angrily. “Don’t play stupid. I meant with her father!” Rei screamed. Gaara froze, that familiar pain in his stomach coming back since the first time he thought of Hikari’s father. “What about him?” Rei looked at him dumbly, and then laughed. “You can’t tell me you actually forgot! You killed him! You killed sweetest Hikari’s father, the man she probably loves more than anything in this world! I know! I got information! And I promise you, even if I die, she’ll know. It may be too late to come back to me, but at least I can be happy in the afterlife when I see Hikari finally sees you for what you are!”

The phrase “You killed sweetest Hikari’s father.” replayed in his head, and then the horrible flashback of when Yashamaru told him the news all those years back came back. The same sorrow began to fill, making his chest heavy. However, hearing enough and had enough, he finally closed his hand to a fist. Rei’s last scream was heard for a second until blood exploded on the dome. Half of his face got splattered, and parts of his body was stained with crimson. He stared at the smashed remains of Rei’s body, and then put both hands on his head, hiding his lowered head. The sand began to slowly recede, almost looking like it was melting away. He didn’t even look up to see Hikari, he didn’t want to. I’m no better than the person I killed. I’m worse than him. He was right… I did ruin her. It was because of me she left the village, me that she was hurt long ago by those men, because of me. I.. I hate myself.

“Gaara!” Hikari’s concerned voice rang through his ears. He heard her footsteps pick up pace as she was approached him. He could feel her close presence when she stopped. Hikari didn’t say anything for a long time, most likely because she was looking at the dead body below. “H-he’s dead…” Hikari whispered suddenly. He didn’t say anything to her. Gaara began to feel a touch on his back, but jumped away from it. “Gaara, what’s wrong?” Another touch was on his face this time, and his head jerked up. Hikari’s eye’s widened a little bit, but then her face softened. “Gaara.. You’re crying.”

He didn’t even realize he was doing that. Crying was something he hadn’t done in so long, he thought he may never do it again. But it was true, he laid a finger under his eye and felt moisture from tears. He was crying. He tried looking away, for he felt even worse to have Hikari see him this way. Hikari only pulled his head back. Gaara didn’t make eye contact with her as she pulled him back to her. He laid the top of his head on her upper area of the Hikari’s chest, his hands holding her shoulders. Hikari put her hands around his back and leaned her head. “It’s okay Gaara. I won’t be mad. Rei.. Wasn’t going in the right direction with himself. It may have been… too late for him. Just don’t listen to him. I love you.”

“I love you...”

Those words hurt even more to hear them a second time, now that he remembered more now. The first time, it was an unbelievable feeling. A rush of ecstasy and relief, like finally coming up for air after swimming. He, unloved by everyone, now had a difference. But… she didn’t know the secret. It tore at him on the inside. He loved Hikari, but now he was stuck at choices. Tell her or not.

Gaara felt Hikari’s chin lay in his hair and she gently stroked his back. He only grasped her shoulders that he held for support. “Hikari… I… I don’t deserve it.”