Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Can I keep You ? ❯ Part 7 - Sorrow ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Can I keep you?
Sequel to Pumpkins and Ravens
Main Pairings: Kakashi/Iruka, Sasuke/Naruto and others
Part of my 100 themes challenge.
 
Part 7 - Sorrow (28):
Iruka arrived at the memorial well before Naruto did, settling up in a tree facing the dark stone that was carved with the names of the fallen. He knew the blond would likely run across rooftops to get here rather than use a transportation jutsu as he had done. The blond was a very physical person and he would let his aggression and upset be pumped through his system as he took each stride across Konoha. The chuunin looked down at the memorial with sad eyes, knowing precisely where the names of friends and loved ones resided on the stone.
It had been far too long since he had visited the dead.
It depressed him to stand before the dark monument to shinobi's passed. It was a reminder of better times and heartbreaking memories that sometimes, they all wished could be forgotten. He let it wash over him for a while, but when he felt the blonde's incoming chakra he locked down the sentimental and unhappiness wrapping it back inside his heart. He wouldn't share his melancholy with the Naruto - knowing he needed his first sensei's undivided attention and support.
Iruka watched Naruto ease up to the stone, running careful hands along it's smooth surface and he watched as the young shinobi knelt in front of the stone, hands clasped and head bowed, offering up a prayer to those he had come to visit. It was surprising how alike the two were really - Naruto and Kakashi. They both sought solace in being alone with the ghosts of the past, finding comfort and advice in the dead. Iruka let the boy stay by the stone for a time, keeping an eye on the young man as he watched him speaking without hearing the words.
The chuunin remained in the tall tree, unnoticed by Naruto for a good half an hour before deciding to drop down onto the springy grass and walk slowly up to the unhappy young man. He reached out, settling a gentle hand in the soft blond tresses of his former pupil's hair - much like he had done when Naruto was much younger and less world-weary.
They stayed that way for a long time. Iruka knew that as he had gotten older, Naruto had overcome some of his more boisterous inclinations and that he had become much more contemplative as he had aged. He knew that Naruto would come to his own conclusions given some time and just needed the space and a comforting hand whilst he thought over his troubles. He was much like his old sensei that way.
After over an hour of waiting the blond spoke, voice sombre and forthright, “He's right isn't he Iruka-sensei? I can't be trusted because nobody knows about my secret. Obaa-chan can't cover for me forever no matter what she still hopes for from me.”
Iruka sighed, he had known what Kakashi had said was true to some extent but he also believed that the trust that Naruto had given and received from the people of Konoha was well founded. He didn't appreciate the Copy-nin's sudden reluctance to trust Naruto. Though he himself had not been so violently attacked as the other ninja he hadn't been immune to the Kyuubi's attentions to the last Uchiha either.
One calloused hand came up and rubbed at the bridge of his nose, following the shallow dip of the scar that crossed it. “He's right and he's wrong Naruto. Sometimes these things can be hard to judge. Your situation is unique and though I'm not sure how he would take the information at this point it would be best to explain to him what happened. If only to avoid a repeat performance - he was foolish to get between the fox and Sasuke for whatever reason. Unfortunately the idiot didn't know better.” The chuunin knew his voice came out a little frustrated and annoyed but he was still angry at the infamous shinobi who couldn't even trust his old teammate.
Iruka looked down watching the blond and was surprised to see bright cerulean orbs return his gaze unwaveringly - he had expected anger or sadness. What looked back at him was neither of those things - they were calm and collected. It seemed that Naruto understood and that understanding showed in the depths of his gaze and the serious expression that adorned his upturned features.
Iruka felt something in his heartbreak for the innocence the young shinobi had lost - it showed now more than ever that he was an adult. The chuunin's comprehension of that fact made him realise that, though he was still Naruto's family, he wasn't needed anymore - not as a child needs an adult and that hurt and made him feel a deep sorrow for that loss.
When he focused on those eyes he saw confusion and he buried the pain of that notion deep inside, he gave the young man a tender smile. “We'll get this sorted out, ne?” When Naruto looked as though he would question him further he ruffled the silky strands of sunlight and gave a genuine grin, before hauling the other man up and curling an arm around his neck, rubbing his knuckles again his scalp. “Stop worrying about it.”
The noogie wasn't well received but though he protested the blond didn't squirm away from the teasing attention, it was something they had always shared. When they were both laughing Iruka released the Naruto and they both gave each other a knowing smile -they had needed that. Naruto turned first at the snap of twigs underfoot and Iruka watched as a bright grin split his tanned face, before he burst into a run, “Teme!”
Iruka watched as the last Uchiha continued walking even with a whole lot of blond heading for him at full speed, when said blonds' arms reached out to snag him he deftly side stepped, sending the other shinobi sprawling on the ground. “Stupid dobe.” Iruka couldn't help but laugh at the pair, watching as the two danced around each other as the Sasuke made his way up to the memorial, dodging each of the blonds' lunges. When they reached him as he remained stood next to the monument Naruto had a pout on his face and Sasuke seemed as blank as ever, though Iruka was sure there was a small tilt to the pale man's lips.
When obsidian eyes turned to him he met them with equal force. Sasuke spoke in quiet clipped words letting no emotion slip through, “I left the other baka at your home - told him not to leave. In theory he would have heeded the advice considering he's practically bed ridden.”
Iruka nodded at the statement and turned back to the sullen blond, inquiring, “You both coming back now?”
Naruto's face lost the silly expression going suddenly serious when he gave his affirmation with a solid nod, “Hai Iruka-sensei. We are.” The blond turned to Sasuke and something unspoken passed between them.
Iruka turned to the dark stone standing at his back, and gave a deep formal bow before turning back and walking slowly down the hill, he spoke back over his shoulder, “Alright then, let's pick up some dinner on the way back, hm?”
When he received no reply he looked back from the corner of his eye to see the two he'd left at the hills peak. They didn't touch much in public and what Iruka saw held his heart. They had moved closer together with only a hairsbreadth of space between them, the way Sasuke's hand cupped the blonds' cheek so tenderly, as Naruto's fingers curled in the front of Sasuke's open white shirt as their foreheads rested together made his heart ache.
Iruka turned his attention back to the path down the hill, feeling his heart swell and squeeze in his chest at the simple yet intensely private moment. He didn't have time to think on it when his apparently bi-polar student suddenly barrelled him into. He shifted under the heavy weight that was hanging from his shoulders in a bear hug, laughing as though everything was right with the world. The chuunin smiled and shifted his arms to take the weight of his former student, he remembered a time when piggybacks where pretty common between them.
He hoisted the blond more comfortably on his back, turning to look at the Uchiha who had come up beside him. “He's gotten pretty heavy, ne Sasuke.” He watched, pleased, as Sasuke rolled his eyes at the comment making the chuunin's smile broaden.
“I am not - that's harsh Iruka-sensei.” Naruto protested with flailing arms and a glint in his sapphire orbs.
“But so true.” It would seem the sardonic Uchiha would have the last say as Naruto went still before blustering and fuming at the other man. When he was finished they fell into a comfortable silence.
They walked on like this for a time, content to be in each other's company as they headed back to the small apartment Iruka called home and the waiting questions of one Hatake, Kakashi.