Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Can I keep You ? ❯ Part 10: Memory ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Can I keep you?
Sequel to Pumpkins and Ravens
Main Pairings: Kakashi/Iruka, Sasuke/Naruto and others
Part of my 100 themes challenge.
 
Part 10 -Memory (11):
 
Iruka couldn't help but smile at Kakashi's words - it reassured him of the other shinobi's feelings towards the blond after the incident. The Copy-nin still believed he could do what he had set out to do as a boy - even with all the obstacles that had been thrown in his way. The chuunin felt his heart warm at the almost sweet smile he could see in the jounin's crinkled eye.
 
He felt heat flood his cheeks as he let his gaze wander over the other man, taking in his bandaged chest, in only a matter of hours the other shinobi was improving. Now that he was awake - it wouldn't be long before he was back on his feet again. He let his gaze stray to the sheets were he caught site of the older males clenched fist. He felt his eyebrow twitching at the odd action. Was he in pain? As Iruka's gaze flitted up to the jounin's face he looked hard into that stormy grey eye searching for the truth.
 
What he saw there was quite clear - the other man was suffering - he must be in pain from being sat upright for too long and exhausted from staying awake throughout Naruto's explanation and he hadn't said a word. The chuunin was both awed by the older shinobi's resilience and thoroughly annoyed at Kakashi's disregard for his own health. He could see the strain at the corner of his eye as well as the fist bunched in the fabric of the bed linen. When Iruka went to speak his thoughts, he was met with a penetrating charcoal gaze and he swallowed his words, receiving a subtle nod in thanks.
 
Iruka must have surprised the other nin when he spoke in spite of that glare, “Let me get some tea for Kakashi-sensei before we continue. When we're finished I think you should get some rest. This is your first full day awake and Tsunade-sama will be very upset if you don't rest, ne?” His gaze went from the two men near the doorway and back to the Kakashi's surprised features, his usually sleepy gaze was focused unwaveringly on him, it incited a carefully restrained shiver at the attention he was receiving from the other nin. Iruka gave him a soft smile in return and he watched as Kakashi seemingly slumped into his pillows, allowing his rigid posture to ease and his fist to relax with a quiet, “Hn”, worthy of any Uchiha.
 
Kakashi watched Iruka smiling at him and relaxed, letting his body settle more comfortably against the pillows. He had been ignoring the pain he was feeling, as he wanted to hear Naruto's explanation, but he had only been up and about for a day and his stitches had only been removed recently. His chest was a riot of twitching muscle from trying to remain upright for so long and tea sounded nice. He watched Iruka as he made his way to the door, his gaze trailing along his lithe form as he walked, finding his eye lingering on the firm curves of the chuunin's ass - it looked thoroughly squeezable to him.
 
When he realised where his thoughts had strayed he pushed the images back down and turned to see that Naruto and Sasuke were watching him, watch Iruka. He saw the grin on Naruto's lips and was pretty sure Sasuke's weren't quite as straight as usual. He felt his cheeks warm at the ardent perusal, thankfully hidden by the surgical mask he wore, even though he had nothing to hide - they were both adults after all. Kakashi listened to the young blond chuckling as he spoke to Sasuke, “Kakashi-sensei has never been that quick to comply when he's in the hospital - ne. Teme?”
 
Kakashi latched onto the idea that came from the taunting blond and attempted to turn the attention away from his person and back to the serious subject at hand. “So Naruto why is it I am here and not at the hospital considering Iruka-sensei is not a trained medic?” He watched as the young man thought about his words and he got another sunny smile from the fox vessel before he spoke again.
 
“Nice try Kakashi-sensei and I guess it's only fair we go along with it considering your healing and all.” He watched as he unwound his arms from Sasuke's waist, stepping back around the raven haired man and approaching the bed. “You wanna wait for Iruka-sensei?”
 
Kakashi eyed the young man approaching the bed and when he spoke just shrugged, “What for - just tell me what happened. I'm having trouble piecing it all together.” The Copy-nin would never admit to forgetting everything outright, he was hoping that having Naruto tell him what had happened would jog his memory enough to let him remember. He knew his dreams had been linked to the incident in some way, but they gave him little information - pain and orange. Well he could explain both of those now, but he hated when his mind wasn't under his own control.
 
Kakashi watched the young man that had grown so much from his pre-genin days and he saw the strength he had developed over the years. He was proud of Naruto and he knew that what he had done was for the purest of intentions - just like his own Otou-san. He pushed the thoughts of his own family away, focusing on Naruto once again. “Alright sensei - I hope this helps.” He could hear regret and he could guess by the look that passed between the blond and the raven that Naruto thought that he would change his mind when the truth was finally revealed.
 
“We were out in the woods. We go out there a lot when the moons out - you know. It helps keep the fox happy - as happy as it can be anyways. I don't really know what happened - when the Kyuubi takes over I sort of sit in the background - I am just a spectator. But you appeared out of nowhere - kunai in hand. The fox went nuts, it was trying to get to Sasuke and you were between it and what it wanted. They had been... playing I guess. Teme's always trying to play with the little beastie and the Kyuubi allows it. It seems to enjoy Sasuke's company.” The blond sighed audibly and looked back at Sasuke hoping that his lover may be able to explain better.
 
The look he saw there made his heart warm - most people thought Sasuke was emotionally stunted and he was a jerk half the time, but Naruto could see beyond the mask his raven wore - he was proud of him for telling the story. He gave the dark haired man a tentative smile and took in the slight inclination of his head in acknowledgment.
 
Kakashi's eye shifted to Sasuke when he began to speak, “I took Kyuubi out to the forest - we always go for a run, it makes the fox restless to stay in the village over all three nights. So we go for long runs outside the village walls. We were rough housing, for a fox you would say it was hunting practice - chasing me and trying to catch me but it goes both ways. I guess you could call it a game. I would assume that you saw us when the fox was attempting to catch me and reacted on instinct thinking it was the enemy. He's gotten bigger since I first met him, plus he has two tails now instead of one - we can't be certain how big he's going to get.” Sasuke stopped. He watched the jounin in the bed taking in the dilated grey eye and what he hadn't noticed before his left eye was partially open, exposing the sharingan to his gaze. Kakashi-sensei's body was completely lax against the pillows.
 
No ninja would ever be that relaxed; he strode to the bed concern building as the movement didn't catch the Copy-nin's attention. “Naruto go get Iruka.”
 
“What's...” His lover sounded confused when he questioned him.
 
“Go get Iruka right now.” Naruto ran out the room to find the chuunin. It was rare for Sasuke to sound like that these days but he would know the sound of Sasuke's concern anywhere. Something was wrong with Kakashi-sensei.
 
00-00-00
 
He was running through the woods, attention set on the easy rhythm of his legs striding from branch to branch as he made his way back to the village. He was a few miles from the gates when he heard a noise off to the side of the path he was treading, knowing how late it was he was aware that no one should be out at this hour of the night.
 
He broke off, heading for the sounds that were still muffled by distance and thick tree cover. As he drew closer his pace had eased and he approached on deathly silent feet - years of shinobi training coming to the fore. There may be danger to the village. He came across a clearing, looking further out he could see in the crescent moons glow the shadow of a building. He could hear rustling and quiet breaths in the silent glade, he pulled his hit-ate up, uncovering his left eye, feeling the sharingan drain some of his chakra as he looked out again.
 
He could see the building more clearly now - focusing on the rundown old shack that likely used to be a trappers hut in times past. A bright streak of white followed by orange caught his attention, pulling his gaze to the right What he saw had him frozen for only a moment before he moved. He watched in those few seconds as Sasuke ran across the clearing being pursued by a burnished orange fox - with two-tails. It didn't matter that Sasuke was an adult and a dangerous man in his own right - nobody could face off with Naruto in that form alone.
 
He shot off the branch, hand reaching and finding the ring of a kunai. His feet hit the floor and he flew into a dead run, springing at the last instant to land between the Kyuubi and the fleeing jounin. What he saw was the fox from all those years ago. He had been a young shinobi at the time the great nine tailed demon fox had attacked the village but it was burned in his memory. He could see the animal was much smaller and it only had two tails right now but he had witnessed the beast in its full power and never wanted to see it again.
 
His voice barked out to Sasuke who was still behind him, “Get back to the village and get Tenzou and Tsunade here now.” His eyes never left the beast and he tried to sooth the clearly angered fox, “Naruto - you told me you would never give in to the Kyuubi….” He never got to finish his sentence before the flash of brilliant orange moved to fast for even him to stop. He felt agony race across his chest as claws rent through the fabric of his vest and shirt - scoring deep wounds in his pale skin.
 
He felt his vision darken for an instant and when his eyelids rose once more he could see Sasuke's hazy looking face just above him as well as the foxes muzzle nudging at the raven. The words the young man spoke weren't clear, his head felt thick and his chest burned, “Kakashi…sei… get you back… village.” He felt arms curl around him and felt his throat constrict when the wounds in his chest were brushed against and his body tried to scream. His breath was panting out of him and he could feel something ease against his chest carefully. When they started to move the pain spiked and his vision went black.
 
He woke again for only a few moments, his lone grey eye cracking open as he heard whispered words, “Give him to me I'll take him inside. Go find Tsunade.” He knew the voice but hadn't heard it in sometime, but he couldn't put a face to it. He felt himself being shifted into someone's arms, the pressure on his chest eased. Then there was an odd absence of someone's presence next to him. The pain was throbbing through him, but he resisted the darkness until he heard that voice speaking to him, “Shhh Hatake-san. Let the darkness take you it will hurt less. The Hokage is on her way. I'll protect you … I promise.” He felt those gentle words deep inside his heart, his body relaxing in the other nin's grip and then he was gone.