Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Changing Seasons ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or any of the manga and video games mentioned in this story. They belong to their respectful owners. However, the original characters seen in here are creations of my own.
 
Changing Seasons
A Naruto Fanfiction
 
Chapter One
 
Fridays at the local mall were always busy. People came in and out of shops in groups. He stood outside a video game store with a shopping bag in hand. Inside were the newest release of the graphic novels Naruto, Inu-Yasha and Video Girl Ai. It may be a while before he got into the store for the latest RPG. With as much raves as there were about it, he'd be lucky if he even got one himself. Rubbing his nose one of his friends approached him with two iced lattes.
 
"Hey, what took you so long?" He asked.
 
"This isn't the only place with long lines, ya know."
 
"You're right. Let's drink up." With that they lifted their plastic glasses and drank.
 
Inside of the store the latest pop song was playing. It was yet another release by one of those new American Idols. How he hated that show and many like it. Sucking the out the remains of his latte, he threw his cup away as they entered the store.
 
"About time," his friend said as they walked around. And as they thought, a bunch of copies of that game they wanted were already gone. If he didn't get one now, he'd save his money later when the price went down. Getting back into the main line he held his books and patiently waited. However, his friend wasn't too happy. He was going back and forth from one foot and the other. Agitation was very apparent.
 
"Hey," He elbowed him lightly, "It'll be all good."
 
His friend just shrugged and relaxed a little. It wasn't the end of the world if they didn't get a game. But it was so hard because the game meant the world. This game would mean even more than Runescape or World of Warcraft combined. Or atleast they hoped it did. There were so many good ratings about it in Japan. The game had to be the pinnacle of RPGs.
 
Atleast fourty-five minutes had passed and they were selling the last copies of the game. There were four people left in line, including them, and they were turned down. Meaning they were sold out. With a sad sigh, they dropped there heads and walked away from the counter and out the door.
 
"Man," His friend complained, "That sucks."
 
"Yeah it does. Wanna meet me online later and play some WoW?"
 
"Nah, dude. I've got work tonight. Maybe tomorrow night." He took another sip of his latte. "Weren't we supposed to meet Chloe today?"
 
"Oh crap, I almost forgot! We better turn around. She said to meet her at American Eagle."
 
"God, do you know what kind of people hang out there?"
 
"Yeah, but Chloe isn't like that."
 
"Then why does she hang out with those kind of people anyway?" He wrinkled his nose.
 
"Because it's politically correct in her father's eyes."
 
"What?"
 
"Her father doesn't think we're a good influence on her. He thinks we're going to get her in trouble. So she has to hang out with people of the same class to be acceptable to her father."
 
"Damn, that's rough."
 
They stopped just before the escalator staying a reasonable distance against the group of people that stood out infront of the store. Their 'clique' didn't take to well to their kind. Life in public was a constant replay of high school. It was sad that over half of these people didn't bother moving and go to an out of state college. It wasn't like their parents couldn't afford it.
 
A girl came through the crowd. Her walk had a bounce that she had forced to become a conditioned reflex.
 
"Derek!" she yelled as she approached them. The two hugged happily. Then she traded off and gave his friend, Jack a hug. She wore an aqua coloured pyramid top that came down to her hips then ruffled out from the bottom. Her capri pants were pink and she wore white flip-flops to accomodate that. Chloe was an Easter egg compared to Derek and Jack's dark, punk, gamer clothing.
 
"Kiss! Kiss!" One of the girls from the group yelled viciously. They all laughed, talking amongst themselves. None of them approved of the two. That was no surprise though, it'd been that way since early junior high. Chloe rolled her eyes and turned her back on them.
 
"Don't listen to them. They've been on me all week about how we're supposedly 'going out' and stuff." She explained herself. "I keep telling them there's a reason we're not together but they just won't listen."
 
"Of course not." Jack snorted and threw away his plastic cup and steered himself away.
 
"C'mon," Derek gently took her arm, "Let's get going."
 
Just then there was a gun shot. People screamed and got down. The three looked around themselves and ran toward one of the stores to hide. Derek was the last to follow them. Coming up one of the escalators was a woman dressed in a white shawl with jeans. She held something in her hand, though he couldn't tell right off what it was. Once they made eye contact she ran for him. The woman shoved the artifact in his hands and pushed him into the store then ran the other way.
 
There were men in black suits following her. One stopped and fired a few more rounds before catching up with the others to chase her. From what one could see the main security guards were knocked out. From inside the shop they could hear the clerk talking on the phone with the police.
 
.o.o.o.
 
A swarm of people were leaving the building. Alot of people were called off work that day. Jack, Derek and Chloe walked through the parking lot. After dropping Jack off at his car, the two walked to Chloe's car. The vehicle was of much more monetary value than Jack's simply because it was new. And, because her father paid for it.
 
Once they were inside the vehicle they buckled in. Chloe messed with her rearview mirror for a moment to see the group of men leave the side of the building. Derek sat there with the artifact in his lap, staring at it.
 
"What is that?" She asked.
 
"I don't know."
 
"Do you think those men were after that?" She watched them walk across the parking lot.
 
"Probably."
 
"Then I guess we should go. Take that thing to the police or something."
 
"Why give it to the police when we can go directly to the museum and give it back ourselves? We'd probably even get a reward for it."
 
"I don't know. I have a bad feeling about this." She started the ignition and put the car in reverse. They backed out of their spot and left.
 
--------------
AN: Hey there! I know, I know. It sounds like it has nothing to do with Naruto. You'll see how it all ties in later. Please R&R!