Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Colors of Life and Death ❯ The Chase ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Colors of Life and Death- by Songbird21
Chapter 27
Please read and review. I love reviews! Thanks!

((Opens window of reader proof room)) This came out quicker than I thought it would. I actually didn't hit any major road blocks. Lol.

We're gettin' near the end folks. There’s only another 10 chapters. There will be sequels and one shot side stories after this is complete.
Thank you to my beta readers: Crackbaby, UHR, Soryuji and Jckbrckn

_____________________________________________________
Sakura looked at her watch, raised her eyebrows, and walked back inside. “Okay everyone. It’s been a half hour, so I think it’s safe to....” she trailed off as she stared in disbelief of the scene before her.

Lee and TenTen shot around the room, throwing ping-pong balls at each other. Sasuke was leaning up against the wall with an amused smirk on his face.

“Lee-kun! Come back here and fight like a man!” TenTen complained as she unleashed another barrage.

“Do you think I’m insane?” Lee said with a laugh.

“Hey!” Sakura called out. Lee and TenTen froze in mid-duck/throw and Hinata looked up from her book.

“Sorry, Sakura-san,” Lee said.

Sakura pointed to her watch. “We need to get back to the room.”

Lee and TenTen quickly threw the ping pong balls back in the nylon sports bag they had found them in while Hinata put her book back on the shelf.

_____________________________________________________

Jiraiya had a raging headache by the time he managed to dispel the genjutsu he’d been put into. “Damn him.”

((The instant Jiraiya had landed on the roof Itachi had been occupying earlier, the buildings spun around him. “Shit!” He put his hands in the release seal. “Kai!” No effect. “Dammit! I’m going to have to wait for the chakra to disperse. I hope Kakashi can handle the situation until I get there.”))

He jumped off the roof and headed in the direction of the hotel. “Please don’t let me be too late.”

_____________________________________________________

Sasuke did not like the dark hallway they were greeted with when the group reached their floor. “Hinata, your Byakugan.”

“Nhm. Byakugan!” Hinata saw someone on the floor of the hallway outside their room. “Kakashi-sensei?” She scanned further. When she saw that Naruto was no longer in his bed, the bottom dropped out of her stomach. She gasped loudly and bolted down the hall.

“Hinata! OI!” Sasuke called after her.

“Please, let me be wrong!” But Hinata knew she was right as soon as she saw that it was indeed Kakashi on the hallway floor.

“Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura yelled as the rest of the group caught up to Hinata.

Hinata looked up at Sakura. “Can you heal him?” she asked, knowing Sakura was much more advanced in medical jutsu than she was.

“I can try,” Sakura replied. She knelt down next to Kakashi and began to work.

Hinata took this as her cue and ran into the room. “Naruto-kun!” she called out in desperation.

Tomoyo blinked the sleep out of her eyes and stared in confusion at the panicked girl in the center of the room. “What’s wrong?”

Sasuke appeared, silhouetted in the lantern light from the hallway. His hands were clenched in anger. “Itachi took Naruto,” he said in a voice which seemed to drop the temperature of the room a few degrees.

Tomoyo leapt out of her bed, ignoring the mild headache this brought. “Where’s Kakashi-kun?!”

“Out here,” Sasuke answered.

As Hinata, Sasuke and Tomoyo entered the hallway, Sakura stood up, regret etched deeply into her face. “I can’t help him. The genjutsu did too much damage.”

Upon seeing Kakashi, Tomoyo dove to the floor. “Kakashi-kun!”

Sasuke sighed. “Alright then. The five of us,” he said, pointing to all the teens, “will go after Naruto. Tomoyo, will you take Kakashi-sensei back to Konoha?”

“Are you insane? I’m going anywhere while Naruto is in danger! Not to mention you’re a bunch of genin. There’s no way in hell you’re going to beat Itachi!”

“That’s why we need you to bring re-enforcements. Not to mention that you’re the only one strong enough to carry Kakashi-sensei.”

Tomoyo frowned. “Alright...but don’t engage the enemy unless you absolutely have to.”

Sasuke narrowed his eyes at Tomoyo. “Don’t talk to me as if you’re still a Konoha ninja,” he said coldly.

Tomoyo glared at him, but kept silent.

“Sasuke-kun!” Sakura admonished.

Sasuke ignored her. “I’ll leave markers along our trail,” he said to Tomoyo. “Catch up when you can. And we’ll need the Godaime.” He turned to his comrades. “Let’s go.”

Tomoyo let out a sigh of worry as she watched them run down the hallway. “Please God, let them be safe.”

_____________________________________________________

As soon as Jiraiya caught sight of the Konoha team he knew he hadn’t made it in time. He changed direction and proceeded to catch up with them.

“Sasuke,” he said as he fell in step with the team.

Sasuke jumped a little at Jiraiya’s sudden appearance but recovered quickly. “Where the hell were you?!”

“This isn’t the time for that,” Jiraiya answered, barely managing to push down a feeling of guilt. “What kind of head start does Itachi have?”

Sasuke sighed. “At best- about ten minutes. At worst....nearly a half hour.”

Jiraiya’s jaw clenched in distress at Sasuke’s answer. “Lee, you and I will move ahead. The rest of you catch up when you can.” Lee nodded and the two sped away.

Sasuke let out a breath of irritation, but he knew there was no time to argue. “Keep moving,” he ordered, feeling the need remind everyone who had taken command of the mission.

_____________________________________________________

It had been almost an hour and Hinata couldn’t hear much besides the blood pounding in her head. She had been so desperate to reach Naruto that she had actually pulled ahead of the group by twenty yards.

“Hinata! Stay the hell with the group!” Sasuke yelled.

She clenched her teeth but fell back. For the first time in her life, Hinata truly felt like telling someone to ‘shove it’.

_____________________________________________________

The first thing Naruto noticed was the rush of cool air blowing over his body. “Man, that feels good.” He forced his eyes open and looked to see who was carrying him. “ITACHI!?” He immediately began struggling against the ropes that bound him, but it was no use. He had barely had the strength to move.

Itachi merely glanced down in mild interest at hearing Naruto yell his name. “So, you’re awake,” he said in a deadpan tone.

“Damn right I’m awake! You are SO dead when I get loose.”

Itachi simply cocked an eyebrow. “Hm,” he snorted in mild amusement. “I injected you with a muscle relaxant. You won’t be going anywhere.” Naruto gritted his teeth. “Just be patient. We’ll be at Orochimaru’s place soon.”

“Wait a second! Why the hell are you working with Orochimaru?! Don’t you hate each other?”

A smirk found its way to Itachi’s mouth; one eerily similar to Sasuke’s. “Orochimaru is nothing but a pawn. Once he completes his work on you, I will kill him.” The smirk widened into a terrible smile. “And you will become Akatsuki’s ultimate weapon.”

Naruto’s eyes widened. “Nani?”

_____________________________________________________

Sasuke broke a large branch on the nearest tree as he passed by it.

Sakura winced. “Do you have to do that much damage?”

Sasuke sighed in irritation. “We don’t have time for subtlety.”

“S...Sasuke?” mumbled Hinata

“What?” Sasuke replied.

Hinata moved up next to him. “W...we’ll make it in time,” she said gently.

Sasuke looked at her in surprise.

Hinata’s expression showed nothing but unwavering determination. “I know we will.”

After a second Sasuke’s expression changed from angry panic to a mirror image of Hinata’s. “Nm!” he said with a strong nod. “Keep moving everyone!” He clenched his fist tightly and stared at it. “We won’t fail.”

For the rest of the journey...Sasuke broke smaller branches.

_____________________________________________________

Jiraiya swallowed hard. “I’ve lost Itachi’s chakra signature.”

“Jiraiya-sama, what if we’ve lost the trail?” Lee asked with worry.

Jiraiya sighed. “It doesn’t matter. I know where he’s going,” he said as he sliced off the tip of a leaf as a trail marker.

“How?”

“We’ve just crossed the border of the Sound village.”

Lee squinted against the darkness and sure enough, the Village of Sound was barely visible on the horizon. “Do you know where his base is?”

Jiraiya nodded gravely. “I know all too well.”

_____________________________________________________

Tsunade groaned in detest at the paperwork that lay on the desk before her. She lifted her pen, and was about to begin signing a document when she heard a commotion outside. She frowned in curiosity. The yelling died down and the door began to open so she took up a battle stance.

The face she was greeted with was one she thought she would never see again. “T-Tomoyo-chan!” Tsunade hopped over her desk. “What....?”

Tomoyo shook her head rapidly. “No time for that! Itachi has Naruto!”

“What?!!” In a split second Tsunade had whipped the door open and began barking orders at the startled jounin guards. “Gather all the available anbu and jounin! I want them at the gates in twenty minutes!”

“Hai!” the jounin responded and then disappeared in clouds of smoke.

_____________________________________________________

As the group of ten anbu and six jounin sped toward the Sound village Tsunade’s chest was uncomfortably tight. She knew there was a very good chance that they wouldn’t make it in time. Suddenly a question entered her mind. She was surprised she hadn’t thought to ask it before then. “Tomoyo-chan?”

“Hai?”

“How did you return to Konoha so quickly? It’s nearly a day’s travel to get to Ganshou.”

Tomoyo ducked under a small branch. “Arashi-kun taught me Ji-kuu-kan ninjutsu (A/N- Space/Time ninjutsu).”

Tsunade’s eyebrows raised in surprise. “I didn’t know he’d taught it to anyone.”

“He taught me...as a thank you.”

Tsunade closed her eyes for a moment. “Well, you certainly deserved it,” she said with a smile.

“Thanks,” Tomoyo replied.

Tsunade clapped a hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry. I won’t let your sacrifice be in vain.”

Tomoyo nodded and they continued on their way.

Naruto could do nothing but glare as Itachi laid him in the center of a sealing circle and bound him with ropes of chakra. “What’s he gonna do to me?” he asked, terrified that he would be sliced open again.

“The end result is the only thing I am sure of. Orochimaru has not seen fit to share what his technique will be,” Itachi replied. He walked over to one of the pillars in the room, leaned against it, and waited.

After a few moments Orochimaru and Kabuto appeared. Kabuto was holding several scrolls of various colors. He immediately set about putting them on points of seal Naruto currently lay in the middle of. Once his task was complete he left the room.

Orochimaru walked over to Naruto and squatted down near his head. “So glad you could join us again,” he said with a mocking smile.

Naruto gritted his teeth. “Lemme go, damn you!”

Orochimaru chuckled lightly. “Oh don’t worry. I won’t be cutting you like last time. Kyuubi is dead; which means that my efforts were successful.”

“You were...trying to kill Kyuubi?” Naruto asked.

“Of course. I deliberately preformed the unsealing jutsus incorrectly. I knew that if he tried to heal you it would be his end. I was waiting for you to be nearly dead before I pushed your skin together.” He frowned in irritation. “Then you were rescued.”

“I thought you wanted his power. Why would you kill him?”

Orochimaru laughed at this. “Dear boy...I have his power,” he waved a hand over Naruto to indicate him, “right here.”

“What the hell makes you think I’ll fight for you?!” Naruto spat.

“Ku ku ku ku. My my. You certainly are entertaining today. No, Naruto. You won’t fight for me,” Orochimaru said.

Confusion spread over Naruto’s features. “What?”

Orochimaru leaned in close so that he was a mere inch from Naruto’s face. “You will be me.”

Naruto’s eyes widened in fear. “NO!!”

“After this jutsu is complete you will be my guest for two and a half years. And then...you will become my new body....”

.........TO BE CONTINUED

_____________________________________________________
((Adds moat around reader proof room))