Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 19
 
 
Harry and Naruto stared at the board and then looked at each other. Neither of them had ever thought this would happen. Sure Harry had figured they may end up facing each other, but as the final match? He had never expected to last so long. Harry could feel Itachi's eyes on them and managed a wan smile. Naruto was still staring around in shock so Harry nudged his shoulder.
 
“Come on kiddo, we better get down there.” Harry told him quietly.
 
“Good luck you two.” They both managed smiles for Kakashi's comment and then headed down to the arena floor.
 
The two teens faced off as the referee looked at them, waiting to begin the match. Harry occluded his mind, locking his doubts and nervousness away behind his shields and watched as Naruto did the same, although not to the same level since he was still learning.
 
“No going easy on me nii-san.” Naruto stated, earning a few looks from the crowd.
 
“Likewise kiddo.” Harry responded as the match began. It appeared that Harry still held a slight speed advantage but it wasn't by much as the two clashed.
 
Itachi watched as his lover and Naruto fought proudly. Both teens had come a long way since they had met. He knew he could take the credit for a lot of Harry's training but not all of it. He was so proud of Harry for everything he had gone through and survived. A lot of people would have simply given up upon finding themselves going through half of what his lover had during his life but Harry had never given up and had emerged stronger. Itachi tensed ever so slightly as he felt a familiar presence behind him. He readied himself to run, he didn't want to fight here but something told him it wasn't necessary.
 
“You really love him, don't you?” Not exactly what he was expecting but he nodded anyway.
 
“More than I ever thought possible. He's never been afraid of me, even when we first met. He just…accepted me.” Itachi answered Kakashi softly, not wanting to draw attention. He felt more than saw Kakashi's nod of agreement.
 
“You should have seen him when he learnt of Naruto's `condition', he looked ready to knock sense into the entire village, physically if needed.” Kakashi chuckled.
“I hate to admit it…but he's done more for my team than I have. He's managed to get Sakura to back off in her pursuit of Sasuke, he's taught Naruto while learning himself and he's been talking to Sasuke and helping him deal with his seal. He should be Team Seven's sensei, not me.” Itachi shook his head.
 
“Harry admires you, even though he doesn't think much of your attitude most of the time. He couldn't teach them, he's not ready for that. Helping them is one thing. He…he's happier now than in the whole time we've known each other and it's because he doesn't have any real responsibilities. I'd love to have a few words with Tsunade about the way she pushed him into this.” He could feel Kakashi staring at him, probably over how much he'd said but he didn't care. They had to know not to keep pushing Harry. He wanted Harry to be free to do what he wanted in a way he never had been before, in a way he himself had never been able to be.
 
“He doesn't talk much about his past, even to those of us who do know.” Kakashi commented softly.
 
“It's painful, not just because he was ripped from there but because of the way he was used. He was their Saviour, their weapon and when he behaved in a way they didn't like…”
 
“They cut him down.” Kakashi finished slowly, understanding more about his oldest student now and almost wishing he didn't. No wonder the kid had reacted the way he did to learning certain things about his teammates and the way Tsunade had made certain choices for him.
 
“He's never been free and the Hokage has once again caged him. I wouldn't blame him for hating her for that, hating Konoha and yet he doesn't. His capacity for love…he never even truly hated the man who made his life hell.” Kakashi could feel Itachi's sorrow from where he was standing, just behind the younger man.
 
“You didn't do it, did you?”
 
“I thought Harry had already told you that much. But it doesn't matter; even if I could prove it do you really think I'd be allowed back? After everything?” They both winced slightly as Harry was slammed into the wall hard enough to break bones but a split second later he was up again as if nothing had happened.
 
“He's the only person I've seen that can keep up with Naruto's healing rate. Gaara doesn't count since he never really gets hit without a ridiculous amount of effort.” Kakashi commented.
 
“He's gotten better at healing like that since coming here.” Itachi responded quietly.
 
“Who do you think will win?” Kakashi asked, honestly curious.
 
“It depends, in some ways Harry is better prepared for this since he was thrown into a war at eleven with no training so he does have more practical experience. If it comes down to stamina it could go either way since Harry's inheritance. Pure power wise they're equal if Harry uses his magic. It'll come down to who makes a mistake first in all likelihood.” Kakashi nodded in acceptance, knowing that Itachi probably knew Harry's abilities better than he did, even if he was his teacher officially.
 
Harry gasped in pain but forced his magic into the wound, healing it quickly. He saw the flash of guilt in Naruto's eyes and gave him a quick smile. Their fight had turned into the longest one of the exams, not that anyone was complaining. Quite the contrary actually. He'd caught a glimpse of Kakashi standing behind Itachi a while ago and had felt a moment of panic but they were simply talking. He refocused fully on Naruto and had to fight a grin. It was obvious that Naruto was enjoying the fight, even if neither of them was truly going all out, no reason to destroy the arena after all. Not to mention a lot of people would be mad if they wiped out the audience and a good portion of the surrounding village, at least. But no matter how much the spectators were enjoying themselves he needed to end this and soon, before he had to rely too heavily on his magic to continue the fight since that would raise a lot of awkward questions. He couldn't use the same trick he used on Lee, lets face it Kyuubi on a bad day was worse than a hundred Dementors and none of the other tricks he'd used in his other matches would work since Naruto knew them. So he had to come up with something and fast. Unfortunately he wasn't given that time.
 
Kakashi and Itachi froze as Naruto's Rasengan slammed into Harry and sent him flying to lie limply on the ground. Kakashi instinctively placed a restraining hand on Itachi's shoulder, even though he knew it would do no good if the younger man really wanted to get away. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, to see if the older teen could shrug of that attack as easily as he had the others but he remained unmoving even as Naruto ran to his side.
 
Naruto dropped to the ground, hesitantly touching his nii-san, searching for his pulse even while fighting tears. He really was a monster, a demon that hurt those he cared for. He gave into the tears and collapsed on top of the one he considered his brother, praying for him to wake up.
 
“Please wake up nii-san, I'm sorry. Please be okay. Please…” Naruto ignored the medics as they tore him away so they could reach Harry and continued to sob even as Kakashi appeared and gathered him up. A low moan from where the medics were working had Naruto freezing in hope. Sure enough the one limp hand they could see suddenly twitched.
“Nii-san!” Naruto yelled in relief but Kakashi kept a firm grip on him.
 
Up in the stands Itachi felt his heart start to beat again at Naruto's relieved cry. Sure enough he could see faint movement coming from where Harry was laying. He knew that Harry's magic could heal about anything given even a split seconds chance to start so he allowed himself to relax a bit. He began to chuckle slightly as the movements became stronger and the medics fell back in shock. He smiled as Harry slowly rolled over and pushed himself up to his knees and then shakily to his feet, the entire stadium utterly silent since most had been sure he was dead a not even a minute ago.
 
“Nii-san!” Naruto cried again, tearing himself free of Kakashi's grip. Harry turned and gave him a shaky smile before wrapping his arms around the crying teen.
 
“Shh. It's okay Naruto. I'm all right.” Harry was quick to assure the younger teen. He held Naruto as tightly as he could, hiding a wince as his body continued to heal the damage. Harry looked over at the referee and smiled.
“You going to call the winner or what?” He questioned loudly. The referee stared at him, surprised and Harry looked down at Naruto and then back up.
 
“Yes, right. Winner Uzumaki Naruto.” Naruto pulled back in shock as the words registered.
 
“But…but you're back up.”
 
“And if you think I want to continue you have another thought coming. I feel like I just went ten rounds with a mountain troll kiddo. You won, fair and square.” Harry told him quietly and smiled as a brilliant grin slowly spread across the blonds face.
 
-----------------------
Kakashi studied Harry closely, checking for any injuries. He paused as Harry chuckled softly.
 
“I'm fine Kakashi. You do realise I'm probably going to get a thorough check up later tonight don't you?”
 
“Yes well, I am your team leader plus your flatmate. So I do have some responsibility for your health.” He answered moving up to stand beside Harry at the balcony rail.
 
“Thanks.” Harry said softly.
 
“Because you got up so quickly you could have continued the fight you know.”
 
“I know. But what would have been the point? We would have kept going like that for a very long time considering our available power levels and healing abilities. Better to stop at the first `fatal' strike.” Harry shrugged.
“Besides, I don't like fighting those I consider friends or family.” Kakashi nodded slightly.
“I saw you two talking.” Harry said lightly but Kakashi could feel his nervousness.
 
“A very good henge he's using.” Kakashi said and could have sworn he heard a low growl coming from the teen beside him.
“We…talked. If it helps I believe him about the massacre. He's different than he used to be and I feel safe saying that's because of you.” Kakashi was nice enough not to tease him as Harry blushed lightly.
 
--------------------
Harry relaxed into the familiar embrace, letting his lover support his weight. He smiled as he was lifted and carried over to the bed before being placed on it gently. They remained silent as Itachi slowly stripped him, searching his body for any sign of injury. Once satisfied that Harry had healed Itachi moved up to claim his lips in a gentle kiss.
 
“I think Kakashi was scared I was going to kill Naruto today.” Itachi smiled as he spoke but Harry could see that Itachi had truly been scared by what had happened earlier. He pushed himself up enough to kiss Itachi softly.
 
“I think what happened scared Naruto more than anyone else. Do you know how long it took to get him to go to sleep? Kyuubi had to help me and I still had to use an entire vial of Dreamless Sleep. Hopefully he'll sleep through till morning.”
 
“But you're okay?” Harry smiled up at is lover.
 
“A bit tired but otherwise fine. I promise.” Harry reassured Itachi.
 
“Good.” Itachi whispered and then they stopped talking.
 
TBC… --> [Author:LRB]
P hand they could see suddenly twitched.