Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Espionage ❯ The End's Beginning ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: Sasuke is a spy for Shinobi Inc. and is sent to guard the 1 hyperactive blond of Konoha High School, Naruto Uzumaki. He finds out later that Naruto has two personalities and both are driving him crazy, but for two different reasons.

Espionage

Chapter 13: The End's Beginning

Iruka blushed as he felt a wandering hand land directly on his butt. He glared at the culprit. “Kakashi!” he hissed.

The white haired man feigned innocence. “Yes, Iruka-chan?”

The hand gave a quick pinch before shifting up to the brunette’s waist. Iruka’s blush grew, but he decided wisely not to say anything. He knew he couldn’t win against the other man. He just had to accept the full package that came with his lover, including all perverse tendencies. However, Iruka knew that he wouldn’t want him any other way.

While the white haired man could be a pervert, he did have a soft, romantic side that Iruka was only too happy to experience. Kakashi would often surprise him by taking him out on a date just because. So it didn’t bother Iruka in the least when Kakashi showed up at his apartment that night to take him out on a walk through the city. And while it didn’t sound so exciting at first, somehow, Kakashi managed to make it enjoyable.

“So what should we do next?” Iruka asked looking up at the taller man. Kakashi smiled with his eyes. “How about we go get some ice-cream.”

“Ice-cream? But it’s January.”

The shinobi shrugged and continued to walk. “So? It’s a nice night out. Besides, who says you can’t eat ice-cream in the winter?”

Iruka could only agree and let Kakashi drag him off to the closest ice-cream pallor. The one that they went to had a seating area outside and the corner and decision was made to eat outside.

“Wait here and I’ll go order. What do you want?” Iruka thought about it before requesting vanilla. Kakashi frowned. “That’s it? Wow you’re boring…”

Iruka glared at him. “Shut up.” He glared as Kakashi gave him one last grin before heading off into the small ice-cream shop.

Iruka’s glare began to fade and slowly turned into a small, loving smile. He really did enjoy being with Kakashi. He entertained himself by looking at the people passing and did not notice the presence behind him.

“Iruka.”

The school teacher froze. He knew that voice. His heart began to pound harder in his chest as he felt a heave sense of dread take over him. ‘Please no. Not him…’

He heard the chair across from him scrap against the ground, indicating the person had sat down. “Come now Iruka. Don’t ignore me. After all these years, I don’t get at least a hello?”

Iruka slowly turned his head towards the familiar man. He wanted to run when his eyes finally landing on the person across from him. ‘Why is he here?’

“M-Mizuki…”

The silver haired male laughed. “So you still remember me, huh? I figured since we’ve been apart for so long, you would begin to forget my face.”

“Like I would ever forget the face of a bastard like yours!” Iruka snapped back. He began to shake in anger. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in prison?”

Mizuki’s grin deflated. “Yes, I bet you would’ve loved to see me in jail, wouldn’t you. After all you’re the reason I was put there. You and that damn brat. Speaking of which, I think I should go pay him a visit.”

Iruka jumped out of his seat. “Don’t you dare even go near Naruto!” They paid no attention to a few on-lookers who witnessed their argument.

“Still the overprotective mother hen, are you.” Iruka glared harder.

“Get out of my sight, and never return again. You have no place here anymore.” Iruka hissed. He wanted that man to leave now.

“Don’t worry; I never wanted to come back to this shithole ever again. However, I have order to follow, courtesy of my new master. You weren’t the reason I came back.”

“So why did you come back?”

“Revenge.”

Iruka eyes widened. He’s was trying to harm Naruto. “I told you, stay away-”

“Is there a problem?”

Iruka was startled when he heard a voice behind him. How could he possibly forget that Kakashi was with him?

“I see, so you found a new boy-toy. You must really have a thing for silver haired shinobi, Iruka. I am just a bit disappointed that you were able to replace me so quickly.

Iruka was about to explode, but Kakashi cut him off. “Who are you?”

“The name is Mizuki. It’s a pleasure to finally met you, Kakashi Hatake.” From Mizuki’s grin, Iruka could tell that the other saw the surprise on Iruka’s face and in Kakashi’s eyes. “Yes, I know all about you. You’re practically infamous in the black-market. Who would’ve thought the legendary shinobi of Konoha would be in a relationship with a lowly scout.”

Iruka eyes widen and he stared at his lover beside him. He flinched when he was sent a sideward’s glance, one with just a glimpse of betrayal. The school teacher looked down to avoid the stare.

“I see.” Mizuki interrupted their moment. “So, Iruka never told you he worked for Shinobi Inc. How untrustworthy.” He sighed, shaking his head.

“What is your purpose of being here?”

“I’ve come to keep an eye on the Kyuubi vessel. And to inform you that Konoha is no more.”

The two lovers looked confused. “What do you mean?” Iruka asked; in all honesty, he was afraid of the answer.

“Exactly how it sounds. But I won’t spoil all the fun. I’m sure you’ve receive a call, telling you all the gruesome details.” He looked at Iruka. “I just wish I could see your face as you hear the news, but we all can’t have our way. See you guys around. I just hope you suffer as much I did years ago.” He began to walk away and joined the busy crowd, before disappearing completely.

Kakashi started to follow the man and stealthily began to pull out a concealed weapon, hidden inside his coat, when Iruka stopped him by taking a hold of his coat sleeve. The silence of the two was overwhelming and Iruka began to squirm from the uncomfortable feeling.

“You can’t go, there’re too many people around.”

Kakashi looked at him before turning away. “Why?”

It was a vague question and Iruka could’ve played it off and pretend he didn’t know what it meant; but Iruka knew exactly what Kakashi was asking.

“It wasn’t mandatory information to your mission. And besides, I’m not a field agent, so I’m not much of help. I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you.”

“You should’ve-”

He was interrupted by his phone. The two continued to stare at each other before Kakashi reached for his cell. “Hello.”

Iruka cursed himself for his stupidity. He should’ve told the other spy his other identity. But it didn’t make sense to mention the fact in Iruka’s mind. And, although he didn’t want to mention it, he felt somewhat frightened that Kakashi would have no interest in him if he found out that Iruka was only a scout. His job description was nowhere near as glamorous as the silver haired man. The thought of not being good enough for the other man frightened him.

“What?”

Iruka’s thoughts were interrupted by the unusual outburst of Kakashi. From what he could tell from the other man’s eyes, the news was not good. Suddenly what Mizuki had said before had come into his mind.

“And to inform you that Konoha is no more.”

“Oh no.”


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

“Gaara, I think there’s something wrong with me…” Naruto said to Gaara. The two were sitting in Gaara’s room; the blond was lying on the floor while Gaara was on his bed, flipping through a magazine.

Gaara looked up from his magazine and opened to his mouth to say something, but stopped and thought about it. He shook his head and continued to read. Too easy.

“Lately, I’ve been blacking out on certain parts of the day. I can remember perfectly what is going on and then the next minute, I’m waking up in places I don’t remember being.” Naruto continued.

“Have you took Jiraiya yet? This could be serious.”

Naruto shook his head. “I don’t want him to worry about me. Besides, what if he thinks I’m a psychopath or something. And then they try to put me in some small room with white padded walls!”

“I think you’re exaggerating a bit.”

“You don’t know that! It could happen!”

Gaara rolled his eyes at the hysterical blond. “Whatever.”

There was a knock on the door. Before Gaara could answer the person barged into the room. Gaara scowled at who he saw. “The point of knocking on the door is to wait for a response.”

“Nice to see you too, Gaara.” Shukaku grinned at his cousin. “Hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“No.” the blond said.

“Yes.” the redhead objected.

Shukaku raised an eyebrow at the conflicting replies. “I see.” He said, looking at the redhead, who was looking away. “Well, you just came in to tell you guys goodbye. Job called and said I needed to get back immediately.” He hadn’t look away from Gaara yet. “Can I speak with you for a second?” Gaara knew who he was talking to, without him saying. Slowly Gaara pushed himself off the bed and with a quick “I’ll be back” to Naruto, he followed Shukaku out of the room and into the living room downstairs.

“I wanted to tell you the real reason why I’m leaving. We just got a call saying that there has been an distress message from Konoha, saying that its headquarters has been attacked.” Gaara eyes widened. It was nearly impossible to invade any Shinobi headquarters. “All kages are requested for an emergency meeting regarding what to do with Konoha and who should become the new hokage.”

“New Hokage? Does that mean…”

“Unfortunately. He passed away only a few hours ago from a stab wound. He said that it was Orochimaru who did it.”

“Do the Konoha agents know that Sarutobi is dead?”

Shukaku shook his head. “Not yet. Right now, everything is in chaos, so Tsunade hasn’t been able to tell the others. They will be informed by the end of tonight.”

“I see…”

“Anyways, Kankuro and Temari are coming with me as guards. We’ll be gone for a couple days, so it’ll just be you and the Konoha shinobi.”

Gaara nodded. “Alright. Is that all?”

Shukaku opened his mouth but shut it again with a quick snap. Slowly he reached out and placed his hand on top of the Gaara’s red hair.

Gaara was about to protest and move the offending hand, but he caught a glimpse of the serious expression on his cousin’s face. “What is it?”

Shukaku did not respond immediately, causing Gaara to grow impatient. He almost said something, before the other man decided to speak. “I’m sorry.” Gaara looked at him questioningly. “I’m sorry about what I did to you all those years ago. You may despise me to your very core, but I just want you to know that I love you no matter how much you hate me.”

Gaara could only stare at the young Kazekage. Why was he telling him all of this? And why was Shukaku’s face getting closer to his? Gaara just realized the hand that was on top of his head, somehow traveled down and now cupped his cheek. When Gaara realized what Shukaku was doing, he glared.

Shukaku nearly yelped in pain as the hand that touched Gaara was bended back by said person. The redhead stepped closer into the other man’s space until they were only a couple inches from each other. “You try to kiss me again, and I’ll break your face.” He hissed.

Gaara’s glared lessened and he let go of the hand he was hurting. “God, you’re so fucking annoying.” The redhead noticed Shukaku flinch. It wasn’t very noticeable, but Gaara had seen it. “What makes you think that I hate you. Yeah, you piss me off, but I forgave you a long time ago.” Gaara back away from him and stared at the floor. “And stop talking as if you’re never going to see me again. You’re only going to come back to annoy the hell out of me, so stop acting like you’re going to die.”

Shukaku was about to say something, but Gaara turned around and made his way towards the door. But Gaara stopped in his tracks and Shukaku looked ahead of him to see why. Standing in the entrance way was Neji with wide eyes. He looked at Gaara, then Shukaku, then back to Gaara, as if hoping he would get an explanation.

He did not receive one. Instead, Gaara walked right past him and up the stairs, while Shukaku glanced at Gaara’s retreating back before he too walked past the brunette and left the house.

“Wait!”

Shukaku stopped mid-step down the pathway to his car. He looked back in a bored manner and saw the Konoha shinobi just a few feet away from him. “What do you want?” he asked impatiently.

Neji looked as if he were having a battle with himself until finally he blurted out, “Stay away from Gaara.”

The two men looked at each other, both equally surprised at the demand. Neji wanted to kill himself at that moment, but held it all in and stood his ground. The deed had been done.

“Excuse me?” said Shukaku. “Who are you to tell the kazekage to stay away from his own cousin?”

“With all due respect, sir, I have cousins as well, but I never act in the manner that you do with Gaara to them.”

Shukaku slowly began walking closers towards Neji. “So, what are you trying to say?”

“Your behavior and feelings are highly inappropriate towards Gaara.” You’re digging you’re grave Hyuuga! Is what the voices in his head were telling him, but Neji persisted on.

“And why does it concern you in any way?”

Because he’s mine!

That thought shocked him completely. What the hell made him think that? Neji tried answering the question, but couldn’t without those words floating in his head and potentially flowing out his mouth.

Shukaku saw Neji struggling for words to say and realization dawned on him. The Kazekage’s eyes hardened as he waited for Neji’s answer.

“It’s because I’m worry about him.” the konoha spy replied.

“And are you trying to say that I’m not?”

Neji did not reply.

Shukaku didn’t lessen his glare for a second. He began to approach the brunette in a menacing manner, causing Neji to tense, preparing himself if the kazekage were to start attacking. However, the blows never came and instead he had a face full of an angry shin obi leader. “Listen, shinobi. I don’t care if you have a little crush on my cousin,” Neji was cut off before he could protest. “I have known Gaara far longer than you have and I’ve been the one looking after him ever since his father died. I am one of the very few people who gave a shit about when growing up, so don’t you dare tell me to stay away from him.” his voice was barely over a whisper, yet Neji could hear the anger behind every word. Shukaku stepped back a few feet. “Remember, shinobi, after your mission is done, you’ll be back in Japan. Who are you to know what’s right for him when you’ll never see or talk to him again?”

And with that, the kazekage began to walk away, his final words branded into Neji’s mind. He was right; more than likely, he and Gaara would never contact each other again. Shukaku was Gaara’s cousin. Like it or not, they would always be together, while Neji was just a minor character in their story, ready to be thrown away when the time came for a new chapter. A feeling of dread consumed him, followed by anger. He did not want to be that minor character!

The brunette noticed Shukaku walking towards his car before a question popped into his mind; one that has been irking him since Shukaku arrived. “One more thing.”

Shukaku didn’t stop walking, but Neji noticed he was moving slower than he was before. Just before Shukaku could open the car door, Neji asked, “Are you in love with him?”

All movement from the older man cease. Neji watched as Shukaku froze in his tracks. Neji watched as Shukaku froze in his tracks as we waited anxiously for a reply.

Finally, Shukaku turned his head to look at the other man. He replied with a sad smile. “So what if I am?” He did not wait for a respond back and entered his car before driving off. All Neji could do was watch the car drive off down the street, his mind numb from the answer he least wanted to hear.