Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of Explosive Youth! ❯ Team Explosive Youth! Hasshin! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
(From [link=p087.ezboard.com/fdrunkardswalkforumsfrm22.showMessage?topicID=262.to pic]this thread[/link], if you've been skipping it)


explosiveyouth.txt

20050722 - started discussion on the DWMB
20050724 - created story file

Such little things can make the largest changes - one person being assigned a duty instead of another, equally qualified collegue, a trip taking eighteen days instead of nineteen, reflexes just a hair quicker than they might otherwise be...

People who might never have met can fall in love.

People who might never have existed can be born.

Stories that might never have been imagined can be told.

So it was when the Village Hidden by Mist sent a courier to the Village Hidden by Leaves, and so she arrived just as a terrible demon attacked, and so she was saved by a young Leaf jounin, and so - after a time - they had a healthy, energetic baby girl. *Very* energetic. She took strongly after her father, with the perhaps fortunate exception of her face.

Of course, even when the major changes seem to have exhausted themselves, the smaller ones keep adding up, a minor difference of timing here, a small change in attitude there... And suddenly, there's a new round of huge differences from the way things would otherwise have been.

Pull up a chair, and get ready to work on your screentan. It's time to tell a story.


Bewilderbeast Studios Presents
TEAM EXPLOSIVE YOUTH! HASSHIN!!
A work of Naruto fan fiction
by
ClassicDrogn
with conceptual assistance (and lots of prodding) from
Nathan Baxter
Greiver
ordnance11
Drakensis

Dedicated to the above, ah, *enthusiasts*, who took a random plotbunny and fed it until it demanded release. Remember, this is YOUR fault I'm doing this, guys.

Sarutobi Chieshamaru, Third Hokage of the Leaf, smiled warmly even as he adjusted his aging frame on the seat behind the desk where he was giving out the day's mission assignments. It had been a very good week, he reflected:

Two days ago one of his personal projects, a child who'd become like a second grandson to him, had graduated from the ninja academy. Even though it had taken an extra year for the boy to pass, he'd entered two years younger than the average, and was still ahead of his age group.

Yesterday, after no more than the usual false starts, the team Sandaime had carefully chosen to include the freind who'd been such a good influence to the boy and a jounin sensei who wouldn't hold the past against him had passed that sensei's team exam.

Today... Today, he would get to assign the first mission of a fine young ninja who might someday use this seat himself. Sarutobi handed over the last of the ANBU assignment folders for the day, and signalled that the general mission assignments could begin. If he knew his subordinates as well as he thought he did...

Ah, there they were, the first as he'd expected. He gave a quick handsign to his assistants that all was well as a smoke bomb went off at the front of the room, the sudden burst of air making his red trimmed robes flutter gently. With an impassioned cry, a green-clad shape hurtled out of the smoke to land dramatically posed, one arm extended in a thumbs-up.

"The Leaf's Handsome Green Beast, Maito Gai!" the intruder shouted, light from the morning sun outside the window gleaming from a wide, toothy grin.

A second form followed after him, like a 2/3 scale clone save for lacking a jounin's vest or moustache, and differently shaped eyes, right down to the skin tight green jumpsuit and gleaming black bowl cut. He took a mirroring pose a few feet away before announcing in a youthful voice, "The Leaf's Proud Green Beast, Rock Lee!"

Another hurtling form, flashing green and orange as it somersaulted to a stop, blonde hair and foxy grin above the boy's trademark orange jacket, worn over yet another of the green spandex jumpsuits. "The Leaf's Blazing Orange Wildfire, Uzumaki Naruto!" he shouted enthusiastically, both arms up to wave victory signs. Somehow, the jacket managed to clash with the slightly different shade of orange on the leggings all three wore, the Hokage noted to himself. If nothing else, hiding that outfit under the robes of office would probably be counted a heroic service to the village.

Before his thoughts could get too off track - an old man's vice, and one he found himself indulging in more often as time went on - the third and final genin team mate made her entrance, cartwheeling skillfully to a perfect stop, one arm draped around Naruto's shoulders, the opposite leg around his knee, and her other arm holding out another victory sign, proclaiming herself "The Leaf's Beautiful Fuschia Tsunami, Maito Rikou!"

The short red skirt around her waist rustled to a stop, a hot pink spandex body glove molding her somewhat limited assets to best effect against Naruto's shoulder as the tall, lithe girl snuggled closer. Thankfully, she'd been spared the bowl cut and fuzzy brows of her father and his look-alike team mate; long, dark hair instead pinned up in a bun on the back of her head. In obviously practiced unison, all four concluded, "Team Explosive Youth is ready for action!"

Sarutobi stifled a chuckle as the eleven-year old boy looked uncertainly at the kunoichi for a moment before shrugging it - and her - off. "Hey, hey, old man! How about our dramatic entrance! Wasn't that cool?" Naruto crowed.

The chuckle was still fighting to get out, damn it. And Gai's passionate admonishments about not letting the exuberance of the springtime of youth overwhelm one's sense of respect wasn't helping him one bit.

---=- + -=---

Sometime later, the four of them were picking up trash in one of the village's many small park areas. It had pleasantly soft grass and a light screen of trees around the central clearing to provide shade and a windbreak - and a bit of cover if the area was needed for its secondary purpose as a rallying point for defenders. At the moment, it also it also rang with the loudly complaining voice of a certain orange-clad genin.

"JEEEEZE," Naruto whined. "Why do we have to do such a boring, low class mission!? A super excellent ninja like me should be escorting a daimyo, or rescuing a run-away princess, or- or catching a hated criminal, or --"

His indignant tirade was cut off as Gai catapulted out of his handstand, the crushed juice can he'd been carrying to the trash bin clutched between his ankles flying up in the air. Seconds later, it landed to balance perfectly on the tip of the finger he'd raised toward the heavens while declaiming, "Ah, my impetuous student! It is as our most skilled and wise Hokage explained, these simple tasks serve the village in THREE WAYS! Firstly, by performing in small ways for a modest fee, it provides a steady flow of money! Secondly, by giving such missions to new graduates like yourselves, it frees more experienced ninja for more dangerous endeavours! Finally, it simultaneously allows the opportunity to FAN THE FIRE of your youthful energy, to hone teamwork and skills to someday join those more experienced ranks yourselves!"

The juice can became airborne again as the jounin waved particularly emphatically, sailing smoothly into the bin without touching the rim.

His own armload of trash just deposited, Lee clutched his hands in front of his chest, eyes wide in admiration. "Oh Gai-sensei, you're so knowledgeable!" he gasped.

"Indeed," the super-fuzzy browed jounin aknowledged, "BUT! There is one MORE way in which such simple missions are useful!" Lowering his voice (to merely "loud") Gai beckoned his new-minted team into a huddle. Placing a hand each on the shoulders of Lee and Rikou, and winking conspiratorially at Naruto across the circle, he asked, "Do all of you remember my most secret and powerful ninja technique?"

"Un, un!" Rikou replied, while the boys were still opening their mouths. "The secret Maito 'Self-Rules' training, right?"

"CORRECT, MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER!" the emotive jounin bellowed, pulling her into a fierce hug. "You shine so BRILLIANTLY in your springtime of youth!" Recovering himself, with effort, he set the girl back on her feet and returned to the huddle. "Yes, the fearsome 'Self-Rules' training! All ninja know that to gain strength requires work, but with the 'Self-Rules' training you go BEYOND the minimum to work EXTRA hard and become EXTRA STRONG! By imposing your own obstacle, you overcome ALL LIMITS with the EXPLOSIVE POWER OF YOUTH!"

Fires blazed in the tall jounin's eyes and sunlight shone from alabaster teeth as he exhorted, "I shall help you begin! Together we have cleaned this clearing, but now, each of you shall pick up one side of the tree line walking ONLY ON YOUR HANDS!" He struck anther pose, a fist clenched in in the middle of the circle.

"YEAH!" Lee shouted. "And if I can't do that, I'll pick up the ENTIRE next park without using my hands at all!" he promised, knocking his own fist againts his sensei's.

"And, and, if *I* can't do that, I'll toss every piece of trash in the next park in the air and burn it right away with 'Kaen!'" Naruto exclaimed, thumping his fist into the pile.

"Well if *I* can't do that, I'll clean an entire park by catching each piece of trash with my ribbon daggers!" Rikou enthused, completing the circle. "It's a promise!"

Overcome with pride, Gai swept his team into a group embrace. "OH, MY STUDENTS!" he cried. "IT MAKES ME SO PROUD TO SEE THE FIREY DETERMINATION OF YOUR BRILLIANT YOUTHFUL SPIRITS! Surely you will become the GREATEST of ninja!"

"OH, GAI-SENSEI!" Lee hollered.

"YOU'RE SO INSPIRATIONAL, TOUSAN!" Rikou agreed.

Naruto, while he'd gotten over being alarmed at the jumpsuit-wearing jounin's demonstrative nature, still had years of ingrained reflex that touching equalled having been grabbed or slapped, and went stiff... but only for an instant. After all, this was his freind Lee who'd trained with him this past year until they both could graduate, and Gai-sensei who'd helped them both with taijutsu even before he was their official sensei and taught Naruto the Katon technique that he'd been practising with, and Gai's daughter Rikou who seemed to be all over him lately anyway and had also trained with them regularly after following her father to their practise area one afternoon. The blond boy relaxed into the hug as if into a perfectly warmed bath, smiling from one whisker-marked cheek to the other, his voice unchacteristically soft as he stated, "Yeah, I'll be the greatest Hokage ever, and you guys'll be my number one ninja for sure."

Restraining his overflowing heart, Gai released the genin and stepped back. "YOSH!" he shouted, pumping a fist. "TEAM EXPLOSIVE YOUTH, HASSHIN! I shall clear the south border!"

So saying, he did a series of backflips, ending once again in a handstand, feet spearing down to grip a discarded take-out box between them. The rest of his team - listed in the Hokage's records as Team Six from this year, though Gai had never called them that even in his own thoughts - followed suit, if less acrobatically, and with considerably more difficulty in keeping their balance and their smelly cargo at the same time, and Rikou had to adjust the coil of thin, black silk rope she kept on one shoulder to keep it from falling off, tucking the free end under her sash-style Konoha badge.

---=- + -=---

(Would you like to know more?)

===========================

The Naruto setting and all characters therein are the property of Kishimoto-sensei and Shonen Jump. Maito Rikou and the circumstances leading to her presence are pretty much a collaborative effort between myself and my collaborators, but may be freely used as long as we're aknowledged for her.

Chieshamaru - So far as I know, Sarutobi-sama has not been given a personal name in either the manga or anime. I added the common Naruto-world suffix -maru to 'chiesha,' or 'wise man.'

Katon: kaen no jutsu - "fire release: hot flame skill" - while Naruto is primarily a Wind type, wind users are rare in Fire Country, and without exposure to more than his reputation Asuma is unwilling to help give the gaki more trouble-making ability. Hence, Gai started him off on fire-type ninjutsu, because a) he's got enough chakra to make up for it not being his strongest type anyway, b) air combines to make fire stronger, and c) the extra challenge is just another training obstacle to overcome with hard work and guts! A bit less powerful than the Uchiha signature 'Gyoukaku' (great fire ball) due to a smaller overall volume, but the range is better. The same fire technique as Jiraya's half of 'Gama Yuendan' (toad oil flame bullet) combo attack in canon

Jutsu - "skill" or "technique"

Sash-style badge - it would be a forehead protector, but it's on a longer strip of red fabric. Gai and Lee use them in canon, so does Rikou here, but Naruto still uses a dark blue hitae-ate badge and ACTUALLY wears it on his forehead. I would have kept his goggles and given him a sash-type badge as well, but his jacket would cover it most of the time. He uses a front-tied plain red sash and hangs the usual belt pouches off of that.


END OF LINE