Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Hidden Shadow Village ❯ Return of the Shadow-Walker ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Legend of the Hidden Shadow Village
The Village was always quiet this time of night. Nakris stood atop the roof of one of the many homes. His eyes slowly moved from side to side, scanning the village and the surrounding forest. He suddenly heard movement behind him, drew his kunai and whirled around. He saw his friend Tesakrin. ”Oh, it's just you Tesakrin. I almost thought you were an intruder.” “You really need to learn to trust the shadows. If you do, you will be able to tell who is coming before they're close. I came to make sure you were all right.” “Thanks. My shift is over in about an hour.” “Alright. This time, when your shift is over, actually go home.” “You still remember that? All right I will. Cya Tesakrin.” With that, Tesakrin disappeared in a flash. Nakris let out a sigh. Suddenly he saw a shadow move in the trees. “That's pretty ordinary for this village. Well, I guess my shift is pretty much over.” As he turned to head home for the night, he heard something fall onto the roof behind him. He barely noticed the sound. He wouldn't have, if a loose shingle hadn't fallen at the touch of whatever fell. When he turned, expecting to see a bird or branch, his eyes widened at what it actually was. It was another shinobi. The newcomer was garbed completely in black. A black bandanna covered most of his head, while a mask covered his mouth. What Nakris noticed almost instantly was the headband the shinobi bore. The symbol inscribed on the metal was that of the Village Hidden in the Shadows. Nakris gasped. “That's the headband of a Shadow Shinobi! Why are you wearing it?!” The stranger had been facing the roof, but lifted his head at the shouted inquiry. His eyes were a deep blue, almost black. His voice was calm, yet cold, and sharp. “I wear this headband because I was born in this village. So you're the only sentinel they've posted in this part of the village? That's pretty sad. You won't be much of a challenge.” Nakris drew his kunai at this. “You'll regret underestimating me.” He threw several kunai in rapid succession, but the stranger dodged every one. “Now it's my turn.” He drew two kunai and threw them at Nakris. Nakris tried to get away, but both embedded themselves deep in both his legs. As Nakris screamed in pain, the stranger flicked his wrist and the kunai came back to his hands. Nakris rapidly threw several more kunai, but his vision was blurred from the pain in his legs. The stranger dodged them all, and said “Tsk Tsk. You aren't a very good aim. Here we go again. But I have a job to do, so I'd better stop you from throwing any kunai or shuriken and wasting my precious window of time.” When he finished, the stranger drew two more kunai and threw them with perfect accuracy. They lodged themselves in both of Nakris' arms, and once again, the stranger flicked his wrist and brought back his kunai. Nakris doubled over in pain, and the stranger walked over to stand over his pain-wracked form. “I want you to deliver a message to the Kage. Tell him that Garraki the Shadow Walker has returned, and that this time, I won't be running away. This time, the old man will fall before my power. This time, he will die. Make sure the entire Village Hidden in the Shadows knows, Garraki the Shadow Walker has returned!” At the end of his speech, Garraki disappeared in a flash. Nakris, with what little energy he had left, shot a kunai with a paper bomb into the air. Tesakrin was the first to see it, called for a medical team, and rushed to his friend's aid. When he saw Nakris so badly injured, he asked, “What happened?” Nakris weakly said “Garraki the Shadow Walker has returned.” He said before falling into unconsciousness. Tesakrin's eyes widened in terror. When the medical team and the Tracker Shinobi arrived, he said to the squad leader “Alert Lord Kage, Garraki the Shadow Walker has returned after thirty years. He's alive, and I think he wants revenge. So our story begins, a deadly S-Ranked shinobi who was believed dead has returned. Soon, everyone's favorite hyperactive knucklehead ninja will get caught up in a battle to save the Village Hidden in the Shadows. Don't forget Sakura! Or their new team member; Ryumai.