Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next few months passed quickly for the two boys, between the academy and their training with Kakashi, they had little time for other activities. They would attend the academy until three in the afternoon, and then train with Kakashi until five or six and then return for dinner. Anko proved to be a very capable mother, caring for her two sons and keeping up with her duties as a jounin. She would often be seen sparing with Naruto and Sasuke or simply chasing them if they were running late for any reason.
 
As remarkable as Anko's transformation was, the most noticeable changes were in Naruto and Sasuke. Sasuke had, for the moment, given up on avenging his family and embraced his foster mother and brother. Without feeling the need to measure up to his murderous brother, he became almost…social. He still abhorred the attention he received from his fan girls, but he would make attempts to meet the other people in his class. It had taken him a while, but almost five weeks of constant training and different combat scenarios with Kakashi and Naruto had awoken his sharingan. It wasn't complete, but he wasn't expecting it to be, and was actually quite happy when he noticed that his right eye had two of the strange coma-like marks in them instead of one.
 
Naruto had changed the most. With the love of his mother, and the attention of his brother, he quickly gave up his prankster ways and devoted himself to both his school work and training. It had taken him almost as long as Sasuke to re-awaken the sharingan, but he finally did, if only one day before his brother. He was leading a happy life now, and a large part of that was due, in part, to Sasuke. Before the majority of the village had harbored grudges or hatred against the boy, but now about half of the village was reconsidering their previous opinions. One half of the village was convinced that Naruto had conned the remaining Uchiha into being his brother, while the other half were convinced that Sasuke could do no wrong and thus accepted Naruto as part of society.
 
After the training with Kakashi ended, the boys continued to train together and further their skills. Sasuke remained entrenched at the top of the class, but Naruto was quickly climbing the ladder and was closing in on the middle of the class. Naruto was constantly trying to find out if he had absorbed any more bloodline limits, so far unsuccessfully, and learning how to integrate the sharingan and some of his new katon techniques into his fighting style. Naruto had never learned any type of rigid taijutsu style, and he liked that. It gave him an unpredictability that he found helpful.
 
Sasuke had continued to train in the basic academy taijutsu, but he did thrown in some moves he learned from Anko and Naruto to give his arsenal more variety. He had also picked up Anko's love of kunai and other throwing weapons. He didn't have the experience that his adoptive mother did in close range combat, his throwing accuracy wasn't bad and he consistently hit his mark with little or no effort.
 
It was during one of Sasuke's throwing exercises that Naruto finally discovered another bloodline. Once again, Sasuke was trying to throw ten kunai and have them deflect of each other to hit ten separate targets. He had gotten to the point where he could hit eight or nine, but the tenth continuously eluded him. Jumping into the air, he took a breath to calm himself down and focus on his task before he released the throwing knives. Sweeping his arms out Sasuke released the metallic objects from between his fingers and began to right himself for his descent towards the ground.
 
CLINK! CLINK! CLINK! CLINK! CLINK!
 
The knives bounced off of each other and Sasuke ventured a look at their trajectory. With nine simultaneous thuds, nine of the kunai embedded themselves into the intended targets.
 
`Damn, still only nine. Now where is that other one?' He thought.
 
He heard the yelp of his brother and figured that his kunai might have gone off course more than he had thought. What he saw confused the Uchiha to no end. Naruto was sitting in the shade of a large tree and there, not a foot in front of the younger boy's face, was the kunai. Floating in mid air.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“Old man!” Naruto yelled as he burst into the office of the Hokage. “Something happened and we don't know what it was…but it was cool! We figured you would know so we came here.”
 
Upon hearing the `we' in the statement Sasuke walked into the room.
 
“Why don't you tell me what happened and I'll see if I can help you boys.” The venerable Hokage said smiling at the close kinship the two shared.
 
“I was taking a break from climbing trees when one of Sasuke's kunai came flying at me. I panicked because I didn't have time to block it, so I put my arm out like this” he raised his right hand in a warding motion, while he used his left arm to cover his head “and when I didn't get hit, I looked and it was just floating in the air.”
 
This confused the Hokage. He had never heard of something like this.
 
“Is it a kind of chakra shield?” He asked.
 
“No, we figure out that it could only repel metal objects, I tried throwing different things at Naruto, and the pebbles, dirt clods, and my sandal all got through, but he can stop kunai and shuriken in mid air.” Sasuke explained. “That's why we came here, either it has something to do with metal, magnets, or this field only stops deadly things.”
 
The Hokage thought about this for a minute. “Hmm, I have an idea how we can find out.”
 
He took out one of his many paper weights and laid it in front of Naruto.
 
“Try to change the shape of this, if you can, Naruto.” He said.
 
Naruto concentrated on the paper weight, which was shaped like a leaf and willed it to become a simple block. Nothing happened. He tried for five minutes, concentrating on the leaf and willing it to change, but it never did.
 
“Well, I think we can say that your ability isn't to control metal.” The Sandaime explained. “I also think that your own tests show that it isn't some kind of force field, so I believe, Naruto, that you have a very rare bloodline that was originally from Sunagakure. Their Sandaime had the ability to control magnetic forces and used it to control small pieces of metal for his jutsu.”
 
Naruto and Sasuke stood there with their mouths agape and stared wide eyed at the grey haired man.
 
“That is so cool!” Naruto yelled in triumph. “I have a bloodline of a Kazekage!”
 
“Yes, I suggest that you practice both repelling and attracting different things, it could come in handy someday.” The Sandaime suggested. “In the mean time, I believe that your mother should be arriving shortly to turn in her report, so why don't you two just wait here for a while.”
 
True to his word, Anko walked into the office not three minutes later to deliver her report. It was a straight forward mission, guarding the Fire Countries daimyo from a missing Nin. It wasn't very hard, and she finished early. When Naruto explained about his new bloodline, Anko smirked and ruffled his hair.
 
“All right, from now on I expect to have to try during our kunai duels.”
 
This earned a groan from Naruto, who hadn't inherited his mother's love of kunai, much to her disappointment.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Naruto's birthday, October 10th, rolled around rather quickly. He still hadn't perfected using his magnetic abilities, but he was getting better. Dawn came early and the boys were awoken by Anko's usual greeting, a bucketful of cold water. After a quick warm up (read: five hours of being chased by your mother, who is throwing kunai at you) the trio headed home for brunch.
 
As the day wore on, both Sasuke and Anko noticed that Naruto was more and more reluctant to leave the apartment. They figured it had to do with the Kyuubi and when they asked him, he explained that the villagers always hated him more today and had grown accustomed to staying inside to minimize contact with drunk and or irate villagers.
 
Anko decided to stay and comfort her son more that night and so Sasuke was the only one to go out to enjoy the festival, although it was rather subdued now that he knew of Naruto's burden. He watched as the smaller children ran around, enjoying the games and food of the festival. In reality, Sasuke was appalled by the villager's treatment of Naruto. He had only come out to honor the Uchiha who had died in the attack and then he planned on returning back to the apartment. After a nice speech by the Hokage, Sasuke walked back towards the apartment, passing different restaurants along the way. He heard different people talking in various states of inebriation about different worries, from raising their kids to the state of the village.
 
Once he returned home he joined his adoptive mother and brother for dessert before he headed to bed. As he was taking his dishes over to the sink, he looked out the window at the sky, noting the new moon. But what interested him the most was the group of flickering orange lights that were making their way towards the apartment building. He didn't immediately recognize the glow of torches, simply passing them off as part of the festivities, but he did seem to recognize the silver haired chunnin leading a group of twenty or thirty people.
 
`What is Mizuki-sensei doing?' He thought. It wasn't until he heard the shouts of “KILL THE DEMON!” Then it hit him.
 
“Shit! Anko-kaa-san, there's a mob outside!” Sasuke yelled in warning.
 
“WHAT!” The purple haired jounin yelled as the door to the apartment was kicked in.
 
The first person in the doorway was greeted by a kunai to the shoulder, courtesy of an enraged mother. The second person met a similar fate, this time from Sasuke.
 
Mizuki forced his way towards the door, loosing shuriken as he entered and multiplying them with Kage Shuriken no Jutsu (Shadow Shuriken technique) He was absolutely dumbfounded when the multitude of metal seemed to slow and hover in mid air.
 
“YOU WILL NOT HURT KAA-SAN!” Naruto screamed and repelled the shuriken back towards the mass of now shocked villagers. Mizuki was able to use a Kawarimi no Jutsu (Replacement technique) to avoid the multitude of steel throwing stars. Shuriken are not as lethal as kunai, unless they embed themselves in the throat or head, so damage to the mob was minimal. However, the only person standing was Mizuki who took the moment of shock to organize another attack on the `demon'.
 
He new he couldn't hope to beat a jounin like Anko, so he decided to try and burn out the three ninja.
 
Katon: Goukakyuu no Jutsu!” (Fire type: Grand Fireball technique.) Mizuki then unleashed a very large ball of fire towards the apartment, only for his fire ball to be doused by two cries of “Suiton Suijinheki!” (Water type: Water Barrier) from Naruto and Sasuke.
 
“H-how do you know that?” Mizuki stammered as he froze upon seeing the boys perform the jutsu. Then he noticed that both boys had red eyes with comma marks circling the iris.
 
“S-sh-sharingan! T-that's n-not possible!”
 
He watched as Naruto raised his right arm and leveled it at him, while Sasuke simply smirked at his brothers antics. Suddenly Mizuki felt his arms begin to fall asleep. Then his legs and the last thing he remembered before he passed out was wondering what the hell was going on.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA