Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Team seven entered the waiting room for the Chuunin exams, where they were greeted by a loud shout from Inuzuka Kiba.
 
“Finally!  About time you guys showed up!”  The brash boy yelled.
 
Sasuke was still locked in a staring contest with Neji, so it fell to Naruto to answer the call.
 
“Yeah, whatever, dog-boy we had a little run in with a couple of egos.” 
 
Upon seeing the questioning look of the Inuzuka, Naruto pointed over his shoulder at Sasuke and Neji, who were still locked in an ocular war.
 
“Tch.  So troublesome, I figured at least one of our teams wouldn't be nominated.”  The forever-lazy voice of Shikamaru drifted towards Naruto.
 
“Hey, Shikamaru!”  Naruto replied to his friend, noticing Chouji was following the lazy boy.  “How you been? I haven't seen you guys much since we started missions.” 
 
“Mah, D rank missions are too troublesome.”  Was the only reply given. 
 
Around this point the remaining members of Teams Eight and Ten met up with the members of Team Seven, Team Gai, and Team Over-Inflated-Ego…I mean Sasuke and Neji.  Yamanaka Ino immediately tired to latch herself to Sasuke but the Uchiha was able to dodge the tackle, miraculously without blinking.
 
“Ino-pig, you leave Sasuke-kun alone!”  Sakura growled and went over to her rival.
 
“Hey, you guys shouldn't draw attention to yourselves.”  A new voice said quietly. 
 
Everyone turned and took stock of the new comer.  He was dressed in dark purple except for a swatch of white around his abdomen.  He had grey hair to rival Kakashi's and wore glasses.  He wore his kunai holster on his right leg, and wore purple arm wormers that doubled as gloves and had metal plates attached to the back of the hand. 
 
“Do you see that team over there?  Those are the Rain ninja; they have a certain…reputation for being aggressive.  Especially if they knew you were rookie genin.”
 
“How did you-?”  Ino was about to ask, before the new boy cut her off.
 
“This is my seventh time taking this exam, since I didn't recognize you I kinda figured it out.”  He sheepishly rubbed his head “My name's Yakushi Kabuto, by the way.”
 
“Wow, so if this is your seventh time, than you must really suck!”  Kiba commented.
 
“Well that's one way to look at it…”  Kabuto said sheepishly.  “Luckily there are a few good things that come when you take the test enough.  For instance, I have collected information of all of the participating genin from previous exams.”  It was at this point that the grey haired boy removed a deck of cards from his utility pouch and placed one face up on the ground where everyone could see it.
 
“These are the number of ninja taking part in the exam; Konoha has the most since we're hosting the exam, followed by Rain, Mist, Cloud and Waterfall.  Suna and the newly formed Sound nation only sent one team, but that means they are probably the best in their villages.
 
“Yeah, well we'll just beat them all, won't we Akamaru?”  Kiba declared earning stares form many of the surrounding teams.
 
“I wouldn't say that too loudly.”  Kabuto admonished.  “The team from Suna is composed of the Kazekage's children, so you can count on them having the best training possible, plus the youngest, Gaara…well I'll show you.”  He pulled out another card and everyone noticed it was blank.
 
“Hey, why is it blank?”  Ino asked.
 
“Well, the card will only respond to my chakra, so that way no one besides me can read them.”  He focused a bit of chakra into the card. A picture of Gaara came up, along with a chart for mission history, a space for notes, and a pentagon that was used for charting abilities. 
 
“Sabaku no Gaara, has completed 8 C-rank missions and wow!  A B-rank mission.  It says he didn't do any D-rank, but that's probably because he's the son of the Kazekage.  The note worthy thing about Gaara is that he has returned from all of his missions, without a scratch on him.”
 
At this, most of the genin were shocked.  Sasuke and Neji were still staring at each other, although it was their second staring contest, with both deciding that the first was flawed when some other genin walked between them.  Naruto wasn't paying attention to Kabuto, he wasn't too worried about the competition, besides Gaara and Sasuke who could bother him?...Perhaps Neji…come to think of it, Shino was always mysterious, so who know what kind of skill he had…and then there was Shikamaru, Naruto knew he was really smart, he constantly kicked his butt at strategy games.
 
“Maybe I should pay more attention.”  He thought, but was interrupted by the emotionless voice of Gaara.
 
“Uzumaki Naruto” I have something to discuss with you.”
 
Naruto's eyes met up with Gaara's and he simply nodded his head, before heading off to a corner.
 
“Those things you said last night…about the moon…I'm not sure I can believe that.” 
Naruto frowned a bit.
 
“But,” Gaara continued, “I wish to try. Would you be my friend?” 
 
Naruto's smile nearly reached his ears.  “Of course, I said so last night, and I meant it.” 
 
Gaara simply nodded his head, his lips barely curling into a smile.  “There are things about this exam…they don't bode well for this village.  Make it through this exam, eventually there will be fights…make it that far, and we shall fight…to prove which way of life is correct.” 
 
“I'll look forward to a fight between us.”  Naruto said, still smiling.  “But there is a stipulation I would like to throw in there.  Promise you won't unnecessarily harm any Konoha shinobi.  To thank you for the warning, I'll give you one of my own. Don't underestimate Sasuke, should you run into him before I do.  He is a seriously good fighter.” 
 
After Gaara had agreed to the stipulation, the two demon vessels parted ways, just in time to see Kabuto get attacked by a member of the Sound team, who was wrapped in bandages, and appeared to be wearing a hay stack on his back.  At first it seemed like Kabuto had dodged the attack, but soon afterwards, his glasses fractured and he bent over before retching on the floor.
 
`What the…he dodged it!  So how did he still get hit? Chakra extension…no that takes extremely good control to do, most genin couldn't do that, so how?  Well, they are from Sound, maybe it has to do with some kind of sonic attack.  That would explain the loss of balance.'  Naruto analyzed the situation quickly, as did Sasuke, but they were the only ones besides Shikamaru to determine the probable means of attack.
 
“ENOUGH!”  A voice rang out through the crowded waiting room.  “There is to be no fighting, unless an instructor gives explicit permission, and even then there is to be no killing.
 
A large man, with scars crossing his face and wearing all black, from his shirt to his boots and back to the coat he was wearing was addressing the assembled genin.  His head was covered in a bandana, which was also used as his forehead protector.
 
“My name is Morino Ibiki; I am the first examiner of the Chuunin selection exam.  You will all come up here and draw a lot.”  Everyone in the room drew the slip of paper and opened them up to find a letter and a number.  “Ok, you have one minute to find your seats for the first exam!  Anyone who doesn't make it to their assigned seats will be eliminated from this exam, along with their team!  Oh, did I mention, the clock started when I started to talk?”  He said with a sadistic grin that would have made Anko proud.
 
Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura quickly found their seats and steeled themselves for whatever lay ahead. Sakura was a bit scared of the examiner and the exam.  She didn't know what was coming.  Sasuke was a bit more prepared, since Ibiki held the same rank as his mom; they would hang out sometimes, along with some of the other jounin.  He knew that Morino Ibiki was the torture and interrogation expert in Konoha, therefore this exam would be very cerebral.  He groaned at the thought of this.  If anyone enjoyed mind games as much as Ibiki, it was Naruto.
 
As Ibiki was explaining the rules of the exam, Sasuke took the time to check his surroundings.  Sakura was seated behind him and was surrounded by foreign ninja.  He didn't worry too much about her; she was smart…if nothing else.  Naruto was sitting on the left half of the room, and was in the fourth row from the front.  He too was surrounded by foreign shinobi, but only to his front and back.  To his left was a Konoha shinobi that he had never seen before, and to his right was Hyuuga Hinata.  Sasuke knew of her crush on Naruto, I mean, who didn't?  So even if Naruto were in danger of failing the test, Hinata would try and help him out…assuming she could muster the courage. 
 
The first exam was a written test, points would be deducted for missing a question, and if you got caught cheating.  To some of the smarter ninja in the room, it became clear that the questions were too difficult for most genin to answer.  Thus, the only option left was to cheat without being caught...
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The twenty teams that passed the first portion of the exam now stood in front of Konoha's famous Training Area 44 lovingly referred to by many as the `Forrest of Death'.  The instructor for the exam, Yamashiro Aoba, was explaining the second stage of the exam. 
 
“…death.  Each team will fill out these waivers, and once you've turned them in, each team will receive one of two scrolls.  Either the Heaven or Earth scrolls.  You must use all of the skills from the first exam as well as combat skills to find and retrieve the scroll you are missing.  Once that is done, report to the tower in the center of the area.  The time limit for this task is five days.  Should any member of your team die, the entire team will be eliminated.  If you leave the confines of the area, your team will be eliminated.  Oh, don't open your scrolls.  The consequences could turn out…bad.”
 
Naruto and Sasuke snickered at the jounin's attempt to sound sadistic; the tone just didn't fit the friendly jounin at all.  Of course, the boys did have large expectations when it came to sadistic nature.  The only reason that Anko wasn't proctoring the second exam, was due to her `conflicting interests' since her son's were participating.
 
Team Seven turned in the required paper work and received their Heaven scroll before heading to gate 22.  After few anxious minutes of waiting, they were allowed inside the area and quickly dispersed; Naruto made a large amount of shadow clones and used henge to transform them into the different team members.  With any luck the clones would be able to dupe anyone following them long enough for the real team to disappear.  Unfortunately a pair of eyes narrowed at the attempt, before quickly distinguishing the real team from the fake and following them. 
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
Team Seven stopped about an hour and a half into the forest for a short break.  Naruto went into the nearby woods to `relieve himself' while Sasuke and Sakura kept an eye out for any enemy teams.  Suddenly, a large brown snake crashed through the undergrowth and both genin were forced to side step.
 
“As expected from an Uchiha.”  A high-pitched voice rang out through the clearing and seemed to be coming from the snake.  A grass ninja with long black hair rose from the back of the snake and stared at the two genin who had drawn kunai already.  With a burst of chakra, the two suddenly fell to their knees as kunai passed directly through the center of their heads.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA