Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Pain ❯ Pain ( One-Shot )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A faint metallic tinkling reverberated through the bathroom as a tiny object slipped from its owner's fingers and dropped into the porcelain bowl of the sink. Empty black eyes stared into the mirror, scrutinizing. They moved down the reflection of a pale chest and came to rest on an extended forearm. Angry red gashes wept crimson tears into a puddle on the countertop. A single tear slid down a flushed cheek to drop into the center of the red tarn. In another room, a phone rang insistently, but it went unnoticed.
 
Dark eyes scanned the large bathroom and stopped on a small chain and pendant lying on the floor near the shower door. Long legs carried a lithe frame across the room to the object. Crouching slowly, Sasuke picked up the necklace, another tear caressing his cheek unnoticed. He held the charm in the palm of one hand and traced its shape with the index finger of the other. He smiled sadly when he thought of the blonde boy that the silver fox pendant belonged to. He closed his eyes as his mind betrayed him by bringing forth memories he'd been trying to suppress.
 
Naruto had given him the pendant almost a year ago. It had been a friendly gesture, an attempt to cheer Sasuke up. It had worked. Sasuke couldn't recall now why he'd been upset- it most likely had to do with Sakura and her pathetic obsession with him- but since Naruto had reached around his own neck to unclasp the chain and had dropped it in Sasuke's open hand with a smile, Sasuke couldn't remember ever being sad. Whenever he was feeling down, he'd touch the chain through his shirt as a silent reminder that someone cared.
 
A few months after he'd received the unexpected gift, Sasuke had finally admitted to himself that his feelings for the blonde boy ran much deeper than friendship. He'd kept it to himself, afraid of Naruto's reaction. The other boy had come over only a few hours earlier to study for a History test. Sasuke had let something slip unintentionally and had ended up confessing everything to his blonde companion. He closed his hand tight around the pendant now when he remembered the pained expression on Naruto's face. The boy's reaction had been extreme. He'd stood abruptly and paced the floor, occasionally stopping to begin a sentence that went unfinished. The evening had ended with Naruto tearing the chain from Sasuke's neck and throwing it across the bedroom. It had slid across the floor and into the bathroom, where it had gone unnoticed for several hours. Naruto had run out of the room in a blur, leaving Sasuke standing shocked by the bed. He'd flopped onto the mattress and stared at the floor for a few moments before he ran to the bathroom. He'd lost everything he'd eaten that day. He'd also cried the first of many tears, sitting on the cold tile with his knees drawn to his chest. He'd eventually risen and crossed the room to the sink, where he'd palmed a small item and contemplated using it.
 
An hour and many deep cuts later, Sasuke had finally relinquished his hold on the object, silently cursing that it had brought him no comfort. Now he knelt on the floor, desperately clinging to the one thing that he knew could save him: Maybe there was a chance that Naruto felt the same way. Maybe he was just startled and didn't know how to react. Even as the thought surfaced, Sasuke laughed at it. If you care for someone, you don't scream and throws things when they confess their love to you. Sasuke dropped the pendant to the floor with a heavy sigh. There was no hope.
 
Sasuke rose slowly to his feet and padded back to the sink. He wiped away the tears that he hadn't noticed were falling and grimaced at the dark circles under his eyes, the after effects of hours of crying. He lowered his hand to the sink, feeling like he was watching someone else's movements, and picked up the fallen razor blade. His brows drew together as he dragged the blade across his skin, a dark red gash in its wake. He sighed and looked at himself in the mirror, the coldness in his eyes almost startling him. He looked back down at his arm and drew another thin red line across his arm, not noticing the pain anymore.
 
Maybe things would get easier.
 
If not, he could always press down a little harder.