Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets of KakaSaku ❯ Subversive Manoeuvres ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Subversive Manoeuvres
Theme #13: Discovery
Word Count: 898

~ ~ ~

When Kakashi showed up late to the training field he’d expected Sakura to lay into him. She’d always been a stickler about him showing up on time, almost as annoyingly persistent as Naruto. Plus now that she had all those responsibilities at the hospital and didn’t excuse tardiness there, so she’d gotten worse as of late. The fact that she didn’t say anything at all upon his arrival worried him. The coy smile she gave him instead had him outright sweating.

“Why are you grinning like that?” he asked suspiciously, wondering what revenge she was planning, or if this was her attempt at reverse psychology.

“Like what?” she countered.

“Like the cat that’s got the cream.”

She nearly choked on her own laugh. “Funny you should put it that way. I just found out something interesting, that’s all.” She snickered menacingly but Kakashi didn’t push any further, not caring to delve into the contents of her obviously disturbed mind.

They had a short but uneventful sparring session, Sakura’s thoughts obviously elsewhere, so Kakashi called an end to it early, just as much for her sake as for his. He didn’t want her to wind up accidentally hurting herself for her inattentiveness and for his part he just wanted away from that odd smug look she’d been carrying around all day.

So he bid her a farewell and took the long route home, meandering past Ichiraku, over the Hokage monument, into the bar for a quick, mellowing beer, then wandering lazily down his street, book pasted in his face. However the last thing he’d expected to find outside his apartment complex was the self-same pink-haired woman he’d just escaped from to now be lounging in a large tree just above the entrance.

“What are you doing here Sakura?” he asked, instantly wary, looking for signs of the trick he assumed she was planning.

“Oh, nothing much, just hanging out in a tree. Seems to be all the fad these days, wouldn’t you know it. After all, you seem to be a fan of it yourself.”

“Uh huh,” he said neutrally.

“You know, that makes me think of the excuse you gave me this morning about being late because you had to save an elderly woman’s cat from a tree. Poor thing,” she tsked, shaking her head sympathetically.

He sighed. “I need to get inside. Long day you know, rescuing cats, fighting distracted kunoichi…”

“You’ve used that same excuse three times this month, you know,” she chided leadingly.

Pasting on that brilliant, fake smile of his, he moved a step toward the door. “Would I lie to you?”

She taped her chin, as if deeply pondering the point, and his smile turned to a glare. “All right, all right,” she teased, “I give. I know you wouldn’t lie to me.” Jumping down from the tree she brushed off her skirt, fixed her hair, then made to walk away. As if a thought had just come to her she paused and looked at him from over her shoulder. “But might I make a suggestion? Next time how about you don’t track down the woman’s cat and stick it so high up in the first place?”

At his dumbfounded look she laughed outright. She’d seen that? Still glorying in her discovery and needing to rub it in just a little bit more she started to saunter down the street. “Take care Kakashi-sensei, with as often as you use that woman’s pet as an excuse you’re liable to give her apoplexy, which she can hardly afford at her age. Why don’t you choose a different cat next time?”

With a last wiggle of her fingers she was gone from sight and a speechless Kakashi staggered up the stairs to his apartment. While part of him felt chagrined he also felt just a hint of pride in her that she’d found him out. She couldn’t have been close enough to physically see him or he’d have sensed her, so she’d either used some interesting jutsu he didn’t know of yet or she’d gotten the information through someone else, but either way she was learning to use her skills well. The fact that it also chipped at his pride to be caught out by someone he’d once taught though stung just a bit too, even if it was in such a roundabout way. He’d consider asking her about it later.

As soon as he opened his door he froze, reflexes instantly going to high alert as he sensed a foreign presence in his room. Then he saw a note from Sakura on the table just inside the door and cursed himself for thinking that all she’d wanted to do in the situation was to gloat. With a weary sigh he picked up the scrap of paper, reading, I got you a little something to take the place of poor old Taka-san’s cat in your grand schemes. Now you can be the one to have a heart attack instead. Enjoy.

Stalking the foreign presence he came up on his bed, finding a tiny little furry body wrapped tightly into a ball. A kitten, she’d given him a kitten. He finally picked it up by the scruff of the neck and lifted it to face him, both of them considering each other for a long moment. Finally he succumbed and smiled. “So, how do you like trees?”

~ ~ ~

(Word count went far over in this one but, 1: I didn't much care, and 2: I'd intended it to end earlier but just kept writing. It happens. Somehow I doubt I'm going to be a stickler about the length on the rest of these...)