Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets of KakaSaku ❯ Domesticity ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Written for raposaselada's challenge on tumblr. It called for pizza, staying home, and cuddles. Just what the doctor ordered. So here's the pathetic little vignette I did for it.

~ ~ ~

Domesticity

~ ~ ~

Sakura woke with an 'oomph' as something landed hard on her stomach. Looking down she saw a mop of messy silver hair, Kakashi's long, lanky body doing as much as it could to cover and weigh down as much of hers as possible. The big dork. Smiling fondly, she asked, "Tough day?" He mumbled something but since he didn't bother to lift his head she had no idea what he'd said. Not that it really mattered.

Pulling his hitae-ate off, she ran her fingers through his hair contently before letting her eyes flitter back shut. She'd worked the night shift at the hospital all week studying some light-sensitive plant extracts and was still exhausted, despite the fact that it was likely only a little before noon, gauging from the angle of the light coming in through the window. Since Kakashi seemed content to just lie there, though, she let herself fall back to sleep, still sifting her fingers through his hair.

~ ~ ~

Sakura woke to the smell of something delicious, her stomach rumbling loud enough that she heard Kakashi laugh at it from the other room. Curious, because the man didn't bake and she knew she there was warm bread somewhere, she finally roused herself. Stumbling into the living room she smiled at what she saw; he'd ordered them pizza.

Swooping down, she placed a kissed on top of his head before swiping the piece he was eating and taking a hearty bite. Grinning smugly, she sat down next to him on the couch, blowing him a kiss when he mock glared at her.

Part of her melted inside at the picture he made. He feigned nonchalance, barely glancing up at her entrance and continuing to read his 'book', but he'd ordered the pizza she liked. He wasn't big on foreign food, and even then, while he didn't outright dislike anchovies, they certainly weren't his favorite. But there he was, eating a food he'd gotten for her sake, and trying his hardest to play it off like it was absolutely nothing.

If she hadn't already been head over heels for the guy she'd have fallen just a little bit right then.

It had taken her a long time to see it, because he tried so hard to keep it hidden, but Kakashi was actually incredibly generous. He just didn't want the attention that came with acting on it in an obvious way. So if he couldn't keep it at least somewhat secret, he just didn't do it at all. Which was why she was so happy he was comfortable enough with her to make even this small gesture.

Continuing to munch on her slice of pizza, she cozied up next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. Reaching over, she grabbed the pizza box from the side table and pulled it into his lap so she could grab another piece. A quick flickering glance her way was his only reaction. She smiled and settled herself more firmly against him.

After a few moments she started reading over his shoulder. Her books were on the other end table, much too far away, and she was too comfortable to move. Truthfully, his books weren't quite as bad as she made them out to be - he'd made her read one once - but harassing him was just so much fun.

Seeing as this wasn't the one she'd read, and she didn't want to break the moment by bothering to move, she contented herself with reading along at his pace. Before too long she was half-dozing against his side; when he'd moved to put his arm around her and bundle her in closer she wasn't sure, so she must've been sleepier than she thought. Then again, with the string of all-nighters she'd been pulling, it wasn't really a big surprise she was using her day to catch up on sleep, even if Kakashi was home too. He just made too wonderful a pillow, so it was his fault, really.

A knock on the door roused her and she muttered something unkind under her breath as she rose to get it even as Kakashi pulled his mask back up. Sure enough, it was an assistant medic on the other side of the door, saying there was some sort of emergency at the hospital and Shizune-san needed her. Of course. Heaving a sigh, even if part of her did love being one of the go-to medics in time of need, she raced around the apartment getting dressing.

Kakashi, face exposed again, watched her with thinly veiled amusement as she frantically pulled things together. Satchel packed and fully dressed, she paused for a moment to kiss him on her way out, swiping the piece of pizza he was munching on for good measure. She didn't feel too bad since there were still another two pieces in the box. Besides, the way things were going, she was likely to need the calories.

~ ~ ~

Hours later Sakura dragged herself through the front door, dropping her pack and shoes in the entryway before stopping short at seeing Kakashi still on the couch. Aside from the missing pizza box he looked like he hadn't even moved, same book in hand and everything. Her knees went a little wobbly but she swore it was just the exhaustion setting in now that she was finally standing still. But honestly, the silly, precious man had waited up for her.

Looking up he smiled and held out his right arm in invitation. Responding with a tired smile of her own, she fell onto the couch next to him, snuggling into him as his arm wrapped around her. Within a minute she was dozing against him, and when the world tipped she was utterly disoriented until she realized he was carrying her to bed.

He set her down, got her out of her shirt and skirt - he knew how much she hated the zipper and buckles digging into her - then pulled up the sheet and crawled in after her. As she laid her head on his chest, her last conscious thought before falling asleep was that, between the cuddles, the food, and the general lazing about, it had actually been kind of a perfect day.