Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Why Sailor Pluto Hates The Bet ❯ Episode 5: Martial Arts Figure Skating! Ranma has the grace of a Princess!? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ranma 1/2: WHY SAILOR PLUTO HATES THE BET

by P.H. Wise

key:

< > indicates English speech

" " indicates Japanese speech

Episode 5: Martial Arts Figure Skating! Ranma has the grace of a princess!?

Disclaimer: Sailor Moon is the property of Takeuichi Naoko. Ranma belongs to Takahashi Rumiko. Evangelion belongs to Gainax. The Bet concept and the accompanying cast and background of Mimir's Well belong to Metroanime (hoodyhoo, I finally put in the acknowledgement for The Bet!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"SHISHI HOKODAN!"

...

"... SHISHI... HOKODAN!!!!!!"

...

...

"SHISHI HOKODAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

...

...

"Damnit, why isn't this working!?"

Akane slid her window open and peered down at the yard below.

There, some ten feet from the koi pond stood Saotome Ranma, trying for all he was worth to reproduce the ki blast that Ryoga (that is, the

Ryouga from Sailor Ranko) had hit him with.

Trying... and failing.

"What do you think you're doing, Ranma?" she asked, her eyebrow twitching ever so slightly. "I'm TRYING to do my homework. Could you keep it down?"

Ranma glanced up at Akane and shook his head. "No can do, Akane.

I GOTTA figure this out - Ranma Saotome never looses!"

"Loses, you mean."

"Whatever."

Akane's eyebrow continued to twitch.

"Hmm..." the pigtailed martial artist began, "I'm pretty sure it had something to do with his ego barrier. Maybe... maybe if I make my own ego barrier stronger, I'll be able to pull off something similar."

"The last thing YOU need is for your ego to grow stronger."

"Aw, who asked you anyways?"

Akane shook her head and shut the window, leaving Ranma to his training. He had been at it for nearly three days straight now - ever since Ryoga had blasted him with that ki blast during the whole Jason Hall, King of Teh Monstars incident. She probably would have been more impressed with his determination to figure the move out if he had eased off on the `uncute tomboy' comments, but that just wasn't the way things were working out between the two of them.

She sighed, sitting down on the edge of her bed as she began to ponder this `fiance situation' that her father had gotten her into. They bickered constantly - it seemed like they couldn't so much as open their mouths without saying something hurtful to each other, whether it be him insulting her looks or her calling him a pervert or a fool. Just yesterday she had actually tried to apologize to the jerk, and what had she heard just as she was about to knock on the door but him complaining to his father about `that kawaikunee, macho otenba you've stuck me with.' She had stormed off in a rage and was determined not to apologize unless he did it first. Punting him into orbit later that day had gone a long way towards improving her mood.

A shadow passed over her then. Blinking in surprise, Akane glanced about warily. Something was in the room. A flash of pink caught the corner of her eye as a vague shape leapt from behind her dresser to beneath her bed. For a moment she considered calling Ranma or her father to come find out what it was, but then, quelling her fear, she told herself that she was a martial artist and could handle whatever it was. Ever so slowly, she bent down and peeked beneath the bed. And that was when it attacked.

It leaped at her, then, claws outstretched, fangs bared, hissing like a monster straight out of hell. In response, Tendo Akane's eyes widened, she smiled beautifically, and she grabbed the pouncing kitten from out of the air. "KAWAII!!!!!" she shrieked as she glomped the hapless creature.

The kitten sweatdropped. `DAMN YOU, RANMA!' it thought in a panic as it was nearly crushed by the overly-enthusiastic young girl's hug, `THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!'

********

Ranma grumbled as he walked into the house. He just couldn't figure this out! How the HELL had Ryoga produced that blast of energy!? It was starting to get depressing - three days straight and still nothing. To make matters worse, his fiancée was being even more annoying than usual. Funny, but he had actually tried to apologize to her the other day, and no sooner had he opened his mouth than Akane, with a scream of `RANMA NO BAKA' had punted him into orbit. He was now determined not to apologize unless she apologized first.

"Ara, Ranma-chan, are you done exercising?"

"Hai, Kasumi-san," he called, tracing the path of her voice with his eyes until they met hers.

Kasumi smiled angelically from where she stood in the doorway to the kitchen. "The furo is ready if you want it. I've already told Akane-chan, so we won't have a repeat of last time."

Ranma blushed. "Thanks, Kasumi," he said as he made a quick retreat. He had not gone more than ten steps when he ran into his fiancée (not literally), just come out of her room and holding a small pink kitten with a strange crescent moon mark on its forehead.

"Hey Akane, where'd ya get the cat?"

Akane gave him an icy look. "Not that it's any of your business, but I found her in my room. I'm gonna call her `N-chan'."

"I already told you," the Kitten began in an annoyed voice that sounded rather like a chipmunk on LSD, "My name is RYOUGA. I'm under a Jusenkyou curse, and I was in your room because I was lost!"

Ranma pikupikued. He looked from the talking kitten to Akane and back. "N-chan? Neko-chan?" he asked.

"That's right." Akane paused a moment, considering her next statement. "Ranma, if you're going to take a bath, take N-chan with you? I have homework, and you owe me for being such a jerk."

Ranma's expression hardened, and he was plainly about to refuse, but Akane didn't give him the chance. She shoved the kitten into his hands, went back into her room, and slammed the door.

The pig-tailed boy stood there for a moment, scratching his head. "Sure, whatever," he said after a moment, grabbing the kitten by the scruff of its neck and heading for the bathroom.

*****************

*** Meanwhile ***

*****************

Queen Beryl sat upon her throne, for the moment paying no heed to the crystal bong that floated before her, its fumes curling through the room and filling it all with a haze that was quite pleasant. Ruling the dark kingdom was a stressful job, and she needed its calming influence. Still, she had not time to enjoy that now - there was work to be done. Carefully steepling her hands in front of her mouth in such a way as to save on the cost of animation, Queen Beryl called out, "Giovannite, I command you to come forth!"

Giovannite appeared in a swirl of light. "What is your command, Queen Beryl?"

Beryl smirked, though you couldn't see it because her hands were blocking her mouth. "Because I'm feeling particularly surly today, I'm going to give you just ONE LAST CHANCE to gather energy and cause the second impact. ... or was that the third impact?" She paused, trying to puzzle that one out.

"It's hard to keep track sometimes, your sleaziness, but I believe this will be second impact."

"Yes, right. Regardless, you only have one more chance, and then I brainwash you and turn you into my personal boytoy."

Giovannite's eye twitched slightly. "Oh. ... I would... HATE... that. Really. Ok, so how does this sound, then? I'll put on an elaborate figure skating competition that will feature scantily clad female figure-skaters, and thus we shall harvest untold amounts of `nosebleed-energy' from the primarily male audience."

Queen Beryl smirked. "It is a good plan. Proceed, Giovannite. And remember, this is your LAST chance."

******

Elswhere...

Shinji awoke with a start, and... my God, it's full of stars! Stars were everywhere, and there was... oh, wait, actually, it was just the Will of the Cosmos hovering over him.

"Now, now, Shinji," she said, smiling sweetly at him (though how she did this without a mouth is quite beyond me), "We can't have you dying before your time. You were not meant to depart from this world just yet."

Shinji clambered to his feet. "You... you saved me?"

She inclined her mass of stars and nebulae.

Shinji smiled, and for him it was like when after a period of long infirmity, one suddenly awakens to find themselves unexpectedly well and the day once again full of promise. "Arigatou, Cosmos-chan. I can't thank you enough!"

The Will of the Cosmos curtseyed. "Just doing my job. Run along now."

Shinji turned and walked away, a spring in his step, filled with a pleasant feeling of contentment.

He was then run over by a bus.

The Will of the Cosmos smiled and vanished, briefly wondering as she did so whether or not Shinji enjoyed his extra ten seconds of life.

The bus door opened, and out stepped a number of people, none of them either noticing or caring about the steaming corpse beneath its wheels. Finally, out stepped Asuka. She was clad in a rather skimpy outfit that pretty much everyone around her recognized as the uniform of a martial arts figure skater (this was Nerima, after all, and there WAS a competition today), a look of determination in her eyes. The winner got two hundred-thousand yen, and that money could really help her and her grandfather (but mostly her. He wasn't getting any of it - he'd just waste it on buying used women's underwear).

As her feet touched the pavement, she very nearly slipped on the pool of blood that had collected around Shinji's corpse. She looked down and frowned. "Baka-Shinji," she muttered as she stepped up onto the curb.

As the bus pulled away, she recognized two people walking by in the crowd nearby. Everyone recognized them, actually, which was why there was a considerable bubble of empty space around them into which no sane man would step, even though the area was actually fairly crowded.

Akane smiled as she glomped a pink kitten to her chest. A pink kitten... with a crescent moon mark! Maybe it was related to Luna and Artemis!

Smiling brightly, Asuka approached the pair.

"I'm tellin' ya Akane, that's Ryouga! He transformed the moment I dunked him in the bathtub! Put him down already, would ya?!"

Akane sniffed in an appropriately Robert Jordan-esque fashion. "We're not listening, are we, N-chan?"

Neko-chan squirmed in Akane's arms, now VERY uncomfortable with her position of being squashed against her not inconsiderable chest. "Let me go! For the love of Kami-sama!" cried the ridiculously kawaii little pink kitten.

Asuka opened her mouth to call to the pair, but words failed her as at that moment there came an explosion of concrete. A moment later, a somewhat weathered young man leaped up out of the hole in the ground that the explosion had produced. "Now where am I?" he asked. Without waiting for an answer, the directionally challenged young man clenched his fist as he was nearly overcome with frustration. "WHERE IS THE TANAKA DOJO IN HOKKAIDO!?" he cried, a note of desperation edging into his voice.

Ranma glanced towards Ryoga, somewhat nonplussed. "I dunno. Hokkaido, maybe?"

Ryoga GLAAAAAAARED at Ranma. "Saotome! How dare you mock me!" He began to glow a sickly green as he gathered up his energy. "DIE! SHISHI HOKODAN!" With those words, the energy was released in a ball of green energy that blasted Ranma into the ground.

Ranma climbed out of the crater the impact had produced, rubbing his head and grumbling about `how the hell does he DO it!?'

Akane smirked triumphantly as she continued to cut off the course of Neko-chan's breathing. "See, Ranma? I TOLD you N-chan wasn't Ryouga."

Ranma glared.

"Oh, Akane-san!" said Ryoga, blushing heavily. "I didn't see you there!"

Akane was just about to respond, when suddenly, Azucite came running into view from around a corner. "AAAAH!" she cried aloud as she seized Neko-chan from out of Akane's grasp. "CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE!"

"HEY!" Akane yelled, her anger now quite apparent in her voice and demeanor, "That's MY PET! Put her down!"

Neko-chan hissed as Azusa glomped her twice as hard as Akane ever had. Somehow, after making a truly amazing leap of logic, she still managed to get out the following: "I'M NOT A PET! RANMA, I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THIS INSULT!"

Instead of replying, Ranma clambered to his feet and began to concentrate, trying to build up his AT-field. He'd never tried to use it in male form, but he could feel it there, just beneath the surface...

Ryoga frowned. "Saotome, how dare you not pay attention to me after I blasted you! Prepare to die!" And with those words, he charged.

***Meanwhile***

"Queen Beryl! AT Field detected! Pattern mauve... wait, no, I mean blue!"

Queen Beryl smirked. "Indeed. The demon-queen stirs. That energy should draw Adam like a moth to a flame."

"What should we do, your highness?"

Beryl blinked, looking down at the servant with a confused expression on her face. "... do?"

******

Elsewhere, in the heart of an ancient Shinto shrine, an ancient evil stirred, gradually pulling itself up from the depths of slumber. It sensed something... something which it hadn't felt for nearly a thousand (or ten-thousand, depending on who you ask) years. Yes... SHE was here. It laughed out loud as it rose to its feet. Yes, this was a good day. Today was the day that it would finally merge with HER. Today was the day that it could finally remake the world in the image of its own choosing - an image of PANTIES!!!!

His eyes glowing an eerie red, Happosai began to cackle madly as he rushed out into the streets of Juuban. Wait, did I say Juuban? I meant `Nermia,' of course. It's so easy to get those two confused; the one is the home of the Sailor Senshi, and the other the magical realm beyond the Wardrobe, ruled by the insufferably cute kitten named Nermslan. Wait... no, I'm wrong again - it was the streets of NERIMA that he rushed out into. Alright then.

******

As Ranma and Ryouga exchanged blows (well, it was more like Ryouga kept trying to pummel Ranma, and all his blows kept on bouncing off of this freaky barrier that had formed in front of the pig-tailed boy), Asuka frowned deeply and stomped her feet as loudly as she could. "Hey, stop upstaging me!" It wasn't entirely clear to whom this was addressed.

No one listened to her.

Ranma concentrated intensely on maintaining the barrier. As Ryouga continued in his struggles to get past it, it only grew stronger, and lighter - slowly, it shifted from the red spectrum into the orange, and Ranma felt that familiar ice closing in around his consciousness.

Asuka *GLARED* at Ranma. "I really hate him. ... I guess it could be worse, though. It could be Shinji upstaging me instead."

Shinji's corpse twitched faintly as the last remnants of life left his body, surrounded by a pool of his own blood.

Asuka twitched. That did it! She stomped on Shinji's corpse as hard as she could as she cried, "Saotome! I challenge you to Martial Arts Figure Skating! I'll PROVE that I'm better than you!"

The ice shattered. Ranma blinked in surprise and glanced towards Asuka. Alas, in so doing he failed to keep his attention focused on the generation of his ego-barrier. Ryoga's next punch shattered the barrier, and Ranma seemed to vanish.

Ryouga whirled about, searching for where his arch-nemesis might have gone to. "DAMN YOU, RANMA! HOW DARE YOU RUN AWAY!?"

And that was when the pig-tailed boy came down feet first on Ryouga's head. The eternal lost boy met the pavement face-first with a tremendous crack. Ranma glared at Asuka. "Fine. YOU'RE ON!"

Akane glared. She had lost track of n-chan and the psychotic girl who'd stolen her in the confusion. She was about to blame it on Ranma, when something caught her attention. Ranma's eyes - Otoko-Ranma's eyes - had changed colour. No longer brilliant blue, they were now blue shot through with flecks of red.

She frowned.

******

"You're seriously going to do this, Ranma?" Akane asked, looking uncertainly/jealously at the custom-made Martial Arts Figure-Skater costume that Ranma was wearing, which bore no small resemblance to the fighting costume of one Mai Shiranui (although Ranma, despite the fact that her girl-side was quite lovely, was not quite Mai's equal in... stature). Akane tried not to grind her teeth. It wasn't fair that a boy should have a cursed body that was better looking than hers!

Genma-panda held up a sign. *The heir to the Saotome school of Indiscriminate Grappling must accept ALL challenges!*

Ranma nodded in agreement. "I got no choice." She ventured a ghost of a smile, an echo of the muted amusement that she felt beneath the numbing cold that being in her cursed form always brought. "And besides, I look good in it."

Akane's eyebrow twitched. "Guys aren't supposed to look good in that kind of costume!"

Ranma smirked ever so slightly. "Do I look like a guy to you?" She had tried for wry humor, but her voice wasn't cooperating. All that actually came out was total deadpan.

Akane blinked. When Ranma had first arrived, he would never have made such a statement. She wondered... did this mean he was getting used to his curse and easing up on the macho-ness, or did this mean that the curse was affecting his mind? ... or maybe, was that what he WANTED her to think?

Genma-panda blinked, its eye twitching slightly.

Ranma kept right on almost smirking as she walked out of the house. "It's not like you can get Ryouga back any other way," he said, glancing over his shoulder at the pair. You said yourself that after Ryoga knocked me out," her smirk faltered slightly at that, "That girl DID announce that `her darling Charlette' is the grand prize of this tournament, remember?"

Shaking her head incredulously, Akane followed her fiancée (yes, fiancée - Ranma's a girl now, after all. And besides, we all know that Akane's the one that's wearing the pants in this relationship, right?).

******

"So you're sure you're able to do this, Ranma?" Akane asked for what must have been the twentieth time.

Ranma, who was now stepping onto the ice and into the field of view of the predominantly male (and nose-bleeding) audience, smirked. "Of course! I can do ANYTHING that has martial arts in the name!"

She then fell over.

Akane facepalmed.

The battle did not go well. Ranma had never skated before. Asuka was an expert. As a result, she not only mopped the floor with him, but she added insult to injury by making it look easy. Still, none of the audience members particularly minded. They hadn't come to see figure skating, after all.

Luna frowned as she watched the goings on through a small camera that she had planted on Asuka's costume (which nearly everyone she ran into commented on). There was something naggingly familiar about Ranma's clumsiness on the ice... something she was missing... what could it be? ... it hit her at about the same time that Ranma's face was hitting the floor after one of Asuka's particularly vicious attacks: Ranma's clumsiness on the ice could mean only one thing! Suddenly, she saw Ranma in a whole new light! Of course she'd have to find a way to lock her in her cursed form (or as she thought of it, in her true form), but once that was accomplished, she was sure she'd find a way to free her of the influence of the demon-queen. Yes, that's exactly what she was going to do! Sometimes, she was so brilliant that she even frightened herself!

Whipping out her communicator, Luna quickly pressed the button that put her in touch with Artemis.

"Hai, Luna, what's up?"

"Artemis, I have good news! I've found the Moon Princess!!!!"

******

Several minutes later, a somewhat nonplussed Asuka was receiving her prize: Neko-chan.

"WHAT'S THE MEANING OF THIS!?" she demanded, flinging neko-chan violently away. "WHERE'S THE 200,000 yen that was SUPPOSED to be the prize!?"

Sanzenin Mikado shrugged. "I can kiss you as well if you like."

Asuka GLAAAAARED the glare of death.

"Don't make such a scary face! It spoils your beauty!"

Ranma stared blankly down at her own hand, unconsciously clenching and unclenching it. "... I lost. How could I loose? Saotome Ranma doesn't loose!"

"That's `lose,' Ranma."

"Whatever... it still doesn't change. I lost! To a girl!"

Akane frowned. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"You wouldn't understa..."

And at that moment, a shriveled old man came leaping out of Nowhere. "AYANAMI-CHAN!" he cried as he glomped onto Ranma's ample bosom.

"GRANDPA!?" Asuka cried aloud, beside herself with rage.

Dead silence fell upon the room.

"That's strange," said Happosai, frowning at Ranma, "Why haven't we merged yet? I want my new world of panties! Listen here, Ayanami, you'll merge with me if you know what's good for you!"

It was then that he realized that Ranma was glowing blood-red, her eyes shining with a fell light.

He swallowed nervously. Ayanami could kill him fairly easily... "All right, all right. If you going to kill me, can you at least do one thing first?"

*WHAT?* Ranma asked, her voice causing the very ground beneath them to tremble.

Happosai looked hopeful as he pulled a frilly white bra out of his pocket. "Could you, maybe, put this on?"

*DIE!* Ranma shrieked, her voice nearly deafening everyone in the room. The red energy surged out at Happosai violently. The shriveled pervert's world dissolved into a haze of pain as he was launched into Low Earth Orbit by the force of the blast.

He came down in Antarctica a few hours later, landing directly on top of Dr. Katsuragi, whose expedition had only just finished setting up their equipment. Dr. Katsuragi staggered under the force of the impact, stumbling into a nearby piece of machinery. Now, this specific piece of machinery was one of the first devices to be powered by the revolutionary Shizuma drive. This in itself was not a bad thing. What WAS a bad thing was that when Happosai's AT field came into contact with the energies of the Shizuma drive, they caused a chain reaction that sparked the Second Impact, which in turn killed the majority of Terra's population.

******

Toltiir grumbled to himself as he knocked on the door to Sailor Pluto's apartment in Asgard. "Yo P, you in there?" he called. "Kami-sama told me to give you a message, though why I should be his errand-boy is beyond me. I'm not bitter though. The jerk."

After waiting several minutes and receiving no answer, Toltiir took the time to grumble for a bit before knocking again. No answer.

"I swear, I am so going to kill him for this. I'm a god! Why does he have to give me jobs like this!? It's not like it's MY fault that

Yggdrasil's not working anymore." With that bit of grumbling done, Toltiir reached out and opened the door. "P?" he called. And then he paled. Not a white sort of pale. No, not white. Rather a sick green sort of pale. "Uuuuggggh... oh God, that's just not RIGHT!" he exclaimed as he slammed the door shut and tried very hard not to lose his lunch. He tried even harder to ignore the cries of, "Oh, Lhu-chan!

Yes, right there! Yes! Oh!" that were still faintly audible from beneath the door.

"Someone will die for this!" he said, both eyes twitching like mad.

******

Some time later, a somewhat disheveled Sailor Pluto emerged from

the apartment.

"You had a message for me?" she asked, brushing a stray strand of hair out of her eyes.

Toltiir stood up and wiped his mouth, still looking rather green, but no longer in danger of losing his lunch (it was already gone, after all). "Hai," he said faintly as he handed her the message. "Though why I've been made message-boy for the Almighty is beyond me. Oh, and the world broke, by the way."

Pluto lowered the message slowly. "... WHAT!?"

"The world. It blew up. Everyone's dead because of second impact."

Pluto glanced at the message again. Great. It was time to get to work. She HATED changing history - it ALWAYS gave her migraines, but a quick trip to the gates of time later, second impact has been undone (and all it took was porting the Katsuragi expedition to El Hazard before Happosai could land on them).

******

As Happosai sailed off into the distance, Ranma slowly began to calm down, the red glow around her beginning to fade and the look of pure hatred slowly departing from her face. "Good riddance." she said as she turned and walked away. All the others did likewise, it being quite obvious to them that the show was over. All save Akane, that is, who looked up at the announcer's booth thoughtfully and frowned.

Ok, so maybe I lied. Akane wasn't the ONLY one not to leave. Luna also lingered, lost in thought. That last action had confirmed it - not only did Ranma have the grace of the Princess, she also had the temper of the Princess. There was no doubt; she was the one. But how to lock her in female form...?

It came to her in a sudden flash of inspiration: the locket! The moon Princess was Sailor Moon! Everyone knew that (Alas, Luna's memory was shot to hell thanks to her jaunt through stasis, otherwise she would have recalled that there wasn't a Sailor Moon in the Silver Millennium)! The Senshi transformation forced its respective Senshi to become female regardless of their original gender. Therefore, if she were to reroute the locket's magi-quantum matrix through it's forward deflector array (1), she'd be able to use its energy to lock Ranma in female form permanently! Laughing to herself (and imagining how happy her Princess would be once she was properly female again and cleansed of the influence of the demon-queen), Luna scampered off towards the exit.

******

Giovannite frowned as he appeared in the middle of the now abandoned ice-skating rink. While he had gathered a great deal of `nosebleed energy,' things had not quite gone the way he had planned. With a shrug, he prepared to teleport away, when suddenly, from behind him a voice called out: "Hold it right there!"

Giovannite whirled around... only to find himself face to face with one Tuxedo Mallet.

"Womanizing perverts cannot be forgiven, yet there may still be hope for you," she said, holding mallet-sama over his head. "Repent, give up your womanizing and perverted ways, and I'll let you live."

Giovannite's eyes widened. "No! Never!"

"Repent!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

Tuxedo Mallet paused, her eyes taking on a strange glow. "I give you one Final chance, Giovannite. Repent. If you don't, then I will invite you to MY home for dinner."

Giovannite perked up at that. Dinner at the Tendos? Kasumi's cooking? "I shall never repent!" he exclaimed defiantly.

Akane nodded. "Very well." She looked directly at Giovannite, then, but it wasn't to him that she spoke. "His guilt is far in excess of his punishment."

She gestured, and immediately a portal opened beneath him, dragging him straight to hell. The hell of the eternal free-floating mallet-sama, to be specific, also known as `hammer-space.' Originally created as a punishment for Don Juan, it was also used as a place of torment for all of his would-be followers and reincarnations.

The portal began to swirl shut, but before it could close completely, Azucite caught sight of one of the free-floating mallets on the other side. She promptly leapt into it with a giddy cry of, "Jean-Claude!"

Akane shook her head. "Damn perverts," she growled, completely unaware of the horrible, horrible pun she had just uttered.

--=- END OF EPISODE 5 -=--

1 - Hey, it works in Star-Trek.

--=- OMAKE -=--

And now, for either the first or second time ever (I can't remember which), the four levels of gender ambiguity in anime!

- Gender Ambiguity Level 1 -

The character looks bishounen if male, or slightly boyish if female. Examples: Hitomi (Escaflowne), any of the male characters in Gundam Wing, and 99% of all of the male characters in every series ever written by CLAMP.

- Gender Ambiguity Level 2 -

The character in question is able to impersonate a member of the opposite sex without much trouble. Frequently mistaken for a member of the opposite sex. Examples: Haruka (Sailor Moon), Arashi (original character, Sailor Moon), Yellow Dancer (Invid Invasion), Yui (Fushigi Yuugi - come on, she's practically identical to Haruka), Zoicite (who is MALE and from Sailor Moon), etc.

- Gender Ambiguity Level 3 -

A character with gender ambiguity level 3 is actually able to

Transform him or herself into a member of the opposite gender. Examples: Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Futaba (Futaba-kun Change), Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Healer, Sailor Star Maker (Sailor Moon).

- Gender Ambiguity Level 4 -

A character with this level of gender ambiguity transforms into a giant golden monkey.