Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ New Perspective Evangelion ❯ The Fourth Child ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

New Perspective Evangelion.
I think, maybe it might've started as a dream, or did it end that way? Dammit, even now, years later, it's giving me a headache trying to figure it out. I suppose, the only conclusion I can draw is that it was indeed all a dream, but not what I thought would be.
I thought perhaps if I wrote this down somewhere, maybe I might understand it better. What's that called? I think it's 'Catharsis' or something, honestly I don't know. At the very least, I can clear my head.
One thing I do know however, is how, and when, it began.
I…..I
Oceanic flight 214, 20 miles north of Tokyo-3, Japan, December 13th 2014.
'Where am I?' I wondered as, instantaneously, I became aware of my surroundings
"I don't want to die daddy. I don't want to die daddy," I whimpered in fear. But why?
What was happening to me?
I was sitting on a hard blue chair, a seatbelt tightly around my waist. I knew immediately that I was on a plane. I was confused. I was terrified. I hated flying. I'd never flown and I, God willing, never would again. I could see down the aisle ahead, other passengers frantically pushing themselves down into the brace position. The recirculated air was heavy with the smell of burning plastic, sweat and fear.
The plane bucked and shuddered sending luggage flying from the overhead storage bins, the flying tin can rearing back up as if it had been lifted by the king of winds himself.
"It's okay sweetie. I'll protect you," A tall, dark haired man sitting beside reassured me, running his hand through my hair. He pulled me close, threatening to crush the air from my lungs as he tried to protect me.
"Don't worry, I'll protect you. I'll protect you. I'll protect you," he repeated, trying desperately to hide his own panic. I gasped for breath as he closed his arms tightly around me.
The engine power tailed off, and for a moment, I thought maybe what might've been going on was over. I could see out my window the white cloud tops below the silver swept back wing. I could see one of the control surfaces jammed straight up, servo motors whining and straining.
With a dull, distant crump, it disintegrated into so much tinfoil, shimmering as it fell behind. Slowly, the aircraft began to roll over, dropping its injured wing.
Immediately, my stomach was thrown into my mouth as the crippled jet reached the top of its phugoid arc, pitching nose down, the engines screaming to full throttle once more. Or maybe it was a scream of terror. I knew now that whatever was happening was about to end, I could feel the plane begin to roll over, going belly up before it's final plunge, some baby nearby crying for it's mother as it shot past, heading to the tail of the plane.
"Brace! Brace! Brace!." One of the hostesses yelled above the panic. The man beside me forced my head down into my lap and against the seat in front, cracking my skull painfully off the plastic seat back tray. Around me, I saw an old couple hugging each other, and some lonely man hurriedly scribbling something on a square of paper, before it tumbled from his hands, floating back up the cabin towards the tail. The view out the window was almost completely inverted, full of dark green trees that were rapidly getting closer.
Whimpering, terrified and wet, I braced myself for some final, crunching impact.
"This is it!" someone yelled. "We're going in!"
The whine of the engines deepened as the aircraft completed its barrel roll, and I felt myself thrown back hard into my seat as the nose began to rise back up slowly.
"We're okay!" someone else announced jubilantly, prematurely.
For a moment, I looked to the man beside me, wearing what seemed like a relived smile. Slowly, the aircraft levelled off, before beginning to climb to safety once more. Above the terrified din I could hear someone praying behind me.
I glanced out the square window, watching the forest beneath rush up to meet me, the occasional grey building flashing past.
"Oh no," I said simply, dejectedly.
The wing began to clip the tops of the tree's, shearing the tips off with a sound like hail pattering on a roof. I wanted to screw my eyes closed and hide, somehow, but I found myself compelled to watch out the porthole.
The screeching engine snapped off with a horrible crunch sending roaring orange flame shooting through the forest, feeling hot on my face through the glass.
The aircraft lurched forward with a screech of tearing metal as the tail struck the ground, sending luggage and debris flying through the cabin, a suitcase striking me painfully across the face bringing tears to my eyes. The man beside me just forced me down harder against the seat as the acrid sulphur smell of fire and jet fuel assaulted my nostrils
The plane began to roll onto its side, parts of the fuselage tearing wide open and taking screaming passengers to what I was sure was certain death. Bright orange fire flashed past the windows and through the shredded fuselage, burning into the cabin, destroying suitcases and suit jackets. The smell of raw jet fuel was overpowering.
The second impact dug the nose in, the fuselage flipping dizzyingly and tearing itself apart. Rows of seats shot past through the air, passengers still sitting in them. Some were on fire, I was sure of it. I could feel myself burning hot, the taste of vomit in my mouth.
I was surprised to see that there was tree standing tall in the centre isle for some reason.
All hell broke loose as the still relative order of the fuselage descended into a terrible chaos of screaming people and shrieking metal as the plane shattered into millions of pieces of aluminium and wire with an endless tumbling.
The fire roared hot on my face, arms and skin and pieces of debris stabbed at me. Something snapped at my waist sending me flying forward through thin air and hot fire once more before coming to a stop on something cold and soft, finally ending as something hot, heavy and metallic landed on top of me.
Strangely I was still looking out through a cracked window and I can remember the air conditioning blowing cool air on my face from an overhead fan.
“I don't want to die...”
That was when I lost consciousness for the first time.
I…..I
-MEEP-…..-MEEP-…..-MEEP-…..-MEEP-
I was woken again by an incessant, rhythmic beeping. Groaning, still feeling groggy, I pulled whatever blanket I was lying under over my head and tried to tune the invading electronic note out.
"Fucking Alarm." I mumbled, reaching aimlessly out to silence the irritating siren.
Something stung painfully at my arm, biting deep into my flesh.
"What the?" I searched for the cause, being rewarded by something plastic, almost sellotaped into my arm.
Slowly, I opened my eyes, to be met first with a sterile white pillow, a few stray strands of black hair splashed across it. Beyond that, what looked like a television, or something, the source of the irritating alarm at any rate. Beyond that, a low, pale green wall, and a bright window, sunlight warm down my body. A pleasant smell of lemon disinfectant tingled at my nostrils. A clean, comforting smell.
I blinked slightly, waiting for the pieces to connect in my mind.
Click.
I jumped upright in my bed, instantly aware that something was very wrong. Apprehension twisted my gut as I tried to figure out where I was, and how I got there. My gaze darted around the room searching desperately for some reference to tell me where in hell I was.
What happened before I woke up was just a nightmare. Wasn't it?
A fire lance of pain shot through my stomach, burning it way through my chest. I grimaced and whimpered beneath the darting pain. It had to be a nightmare. It couldn't have been anything else. What else could it have been?
The room around me I recognised immediately as some sort of hospital ward. The pale green walls surrounded me, except for a brown wood veneer door, and an old television. I couldn't exactly say much for their decoration skills. On my right was the source of my wakeup alarm, a beeping cardiograph timing out my pulse. Slowly, I became aware of the cold prickle of the plastic sensor pads on my chest, alongside some strange weight that shifted as I turned.
Other discomforts clambered for my attention. An uncomfortable and strange pressure between my legs, that same pin prick in my arm, stabbing pains in my arms and legs and a tightness around my stomach making it hard to breath. Physically, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck.
'Or been in a plane crash.' My mind noted, remembering my dream disturbed sleep.
It had been just a bad dream, hadn't it?
Above my head was a plain card written in what looked like Chinese, or maybe Japanese characters spelling out some unknown word. Another mystery added to the pile then; and Forrest Gump me still being stuck for a reason why I was there in the first place.
I noticed the stand beside me, an I.V. line running from a bag filled with what looked clear water, down to the pinprick in my bandaged arm.
At least I'd found an answer to that question.
My arm was strange, different, hairless now, slender pale and delicate. Absent mindedly, I flexed my hand, gripping it into a fist and releasing repeatedly, proving to myself it was mine.
"Weird," I commented to whoever was listening.
My gaze followed up my arm, onto the duck egg coloured hospital gown, then down onto my chest and the source of the strange weight. A sick feeling of shock and fear rose in my stomach as I noticed the reason for the extra weight on my chest. The extra weight was my chest. A gentle poke rewarded by an uncomfortable tingle told me that they weren't someone's idea of a sick joke.
Just to be sure I cautiously checked under my hospital gown.
A clear tube penetrating some bandages around my slender stomach down onto my wider hips and some more plastic tubing that led into…
A scream of combined terror and shock drew nearby hospital staff my room. A tall, gaunt doctor and a short, brunette nurse. As they ran through the door they were surprised to see me sitting up in bed repeating. "This can't be real," over and over to myself.
This had to be some sort of nightmare. Some sort of weird story. It couldn't be real. It was the stuff of a bad Twilight Zone episode, a delusion best left to a patient going batshit insane in a mental asylum. It was a simple scientific fact. One did not simply go to bed one night as a man and wake up as a girl.
Terrified, I looked right into the dark brown eyes of a doctor, approaching me like some devil with a stethoscope.
The doctors started talking at me, but I couldn't speak whatever language they were speaking. It was so fast and clipped, I couldn't understand what they were saying. It was Japanese, I knew that much. It seemed so immediate and so aggressive. It just terrified me even more.
A nurse picked up my right arm, probably to change my I.V line or check my pulse or something. I snatched it away fearfully. Whatever it was I didn't want her to do it. She scowled at me before trying to pull it away from my chest. I pulled back.
She said something to Doctor which got his attention. He tried to take my arm from me but I had decided that no one was going to touch it. He tugged at my arm to release it, accidentally hurting my stomach.
"Get away from me!" I yelled, causing him and the nurse to jump back surprised. “What the fuck did you do to me?”
The doctor and the nurse started talking to each other while I cradled my arm defensively. A single imperative entered my mind.
I had to get out of there. This was some sort of insane asylum, some sort of psychotic delusion, or something, nothing good in anyways. Whatever happened, I had to escape from this place of terror. I pushed myself almost fully upright in the bed and tried to stand up but the doctor spotted me and roughly pushed me down again.
"Get off me!" I shouted trying to get myself free from his arms.
"Get off me! GET OFF ME!" I began to scream, absolutely terrified, squirming and shaking, desperately trying to get away, to free myself from his evil grip.
He gave an order to the nurse who picked a syringe off of a tray they had wheeled in.
I had to get out now.
They were going to drug me, do bad things to me. I wasn't going to hang around in a fucking loony bin and let them pump me full of psychoactive God knows what drugs.
I clenched my right hand into a fist and punched the doctor as hard as I could, drawing blood from his nose and in the process tearing the I.V line from my arm, which hurt. A prick on my shoulder reminded me that the nurse had been preparing an injection but before I could smack the needle away I collapsed into a drug induced sleep.
I…..I
Nightmares haunted my sleep, Memories of the crash disturbing my rest. And then these strange things that stuck in my memory, as if they were recorded on a video for my benefit.
I can remember myself, at least, my 'new' self sitting on some ageing diesel-reeking commuter train, opposite a grinning grey haired albino boy, humming 'ode to joy' to himself. The way he smiled at me, I knew immediately who he was.
"Nagisa Kawaoru," he introduced himself with a polite bow.
I looked at my own body, red faced embarrassed to see myself wearing what looked like the school uniform from Class 2-A, my class satchel packed neatly beside me. and a cup of steaming coffee on the table. The otherwise white carriage was floodlit a brilliant orange by the sun, setting behind some distant mountains, lending the air a strange haze.
"When an object is in motion," he started, his blood red eyes having a dark, infinite depth that made me feel as if he could read my very soul. "It will continue on course unless some, external, unbalanced force acts on it."
"Newton's First Law," I said, recognising the quote.
"Correct," the Angel nodded. "Remember that, and that will be all you will need to know."
"Know about what?" I demanded.
"You'll see," he responded, "But as long as you use the fruit of knowledge you've received, you will be fine, that is all you need to know."
There was something about his reassuring tone of voice that just bugged the hell out of me. A quick deduction and I understood immediately that he was responsible for what had happened to me.
And then I was woken once more.
I…..I
"Goddamit," I mumbled, recognising the lemon smell of the disinfectant on the hospital bedsheets. My awareness slowly filtered back, every sensation and tingle from my body making itself known as I lay there on my back.
For some time, I found myself compelled to just lay there and stare at the foam tiled ceiling, contemplating what exactly was happening to me.
Then at my chest, two soft rounded bumps hidden beneath the light white bedsheet.
Then back to the ceiling.
Then down at my chest again.
Then forcing myself to stare at the ceiling once more.
Then slowly, curiously back down to my newly acquired chest.
Followed by a quick embarrassed snap back up to the uniform tiles above me.
This is stupid, I realised humourlessly.
If I was going to be stuck as a girl, there were some changes I was going to have to get used to. Slowly, I pushed myself upright in my bed, the light blankets dropping from around my body, pooling at my waist.
It was strange. I didn't hurt as much as the last time I'd woken up. Maybe whatever had been wrong with my new body had healed itself. An intrepid curiosity took hold as I inspected myself, gently squeezing the two new lumps.
It tingled and tickled and I was forced to stifle a perverted giggle. Already, I could feel a burning heat on my cheeks as I was sure I blushed a vivid red. And then an odd…discomfort building between my legs as I felt blood flood to my more sensitive areas. Slowly, I lifted my hospital gown to see what was beneath.
Tubing for a catheter, or something, whatever it was it was bloody uncomfortable. Had this body been in some sort of coma? That would explain more than a few things. Slowly parting the relatively innocent pipework I found what I was looking for.
Yup, definitely a girl, no doubt about it.100 percent double X chromosome female.
"How disgusting," I snapped at myself, quickly covering my shame, hiding it from my own eyes. It was obvious. Whoever's body this had been, had only been a teenager.
I dropped back onto my pillow, returning my gaze to the by now familiar ceiling above me, trying to get this in some sort of order in my head.
"I go to bed," I started explaining to the situation to myself. And trying my new voice out. "Have some nightmare about a plane crash. Then, I wake up in this hospital," I swallowed my embarrassment. "As a girl, go buggo because of said problem, get sedated, have a dream about Kawaoru Nagisa quoting Newton's laws, and now I'm here."
Silence, and then my final conclusion.
"That is such a load of bullshit,"
This couldn't be real. No fracking way. This had to be some sort of dream, or maybe a nightmare. So then, how do I wake up?
Simple.
'Wake up.' I closed my eyes.
No such luck.
"Hello!" I called out to whatever power was running the place. "I'm ready to wake up now!"
I was answered only by the ring of my own voice of the walls, a distant rattle in the air-conditioning above me, and some mysterious announcements over the hospital PA system.
So what was my best choice now then?
I decided I'd just have to go with it for now, until hopefully, I found some way home. If this was just a dream, or me going nuts from being on 4chan too much, I lost nothing by playing along with it. If this was real, then I could lose everything by assuming otherwise.
"Okay…Okay," I whispered on my exhaling breath.
The beat of a passing helicopter drew my attention out the window to my right, it's shadow rushing by and rattling the glass panes. Looking out through the window, I could see a large object silhouetted by morning sun. A massive dark diamond surrounded by a swaying steel forest of cranes.
It looked like the Fifth Angel… Ramiel… from Neon Genesis Evangelion. That would explain Kawaoru…
There really was no doubt now. Whatever was going on, I was in the world of Evangelion. I even knew when I was. It had to be sometime between episode six, and maybe ten. It was a small relief then that I wouldn't be 'tanged' the next day.
I heard the door squeak open. I pushed myself upright to greet the nurse, the same brunette who'd earlier pumped me full of sedatives.
"Oh." she nearly dropped her tray with the shock of seeing me sitting upright.
I just grinned back at her, considering it adequate revenge for her drugging me asleep.
Quickly, she fumbled with a small black plastic object, a pager or a mobile phone, tapping out a message with one hand as she tried to balance the tray with the other. Silently, I willed it to fall to the ground, but again, no such luck.
Placing the tray on a small wooden table at the end of my bed, she quickly launched into what I could only guess where a series of questions.
"I don't understand," was the only answer I could offer her.
She gave me an odd look for a moment, perhaps wondering why a Japanese girl couldn't speak Japanese.
She answered me again in Japanese, raising her hands slightly, apologetically, followed by what I guessed was an order to wait. It wasn't as if I was going anywhere anyway. Every movement in my bed reminded me that I was still tethered to it by my most sensitive areas.
A new arrival rushed in, a European man wearing the white overcoat of a doctor.
"Good Morning Noriko," he said in a reassuringly cheerful English accent. "I'm Doctor James, I can act as an interpreter, if you'd like."
"Um….Morning." I answered rather sheepishly, still a little embarrassed that someone was seeing me like I was. And Noriko? That must be my name, or at least whoever I had been. Still half in shock, I was just glad to have someone I could understand.
"And how are feeling this morning?" he asked.
"Fine, I guess," I responded, my insecurities slowly fading away.
I suppose there was a reason Doctors are meant to have compassionate eyes, or maybe it was just that he was speaking in a language that I could actually understand.
"That's good," his smile broadened, as he clicked a pen against his clipboard. "Now then, I have some questions I need to ask, just to check a few things, you don't mind do you?"
I did actually. If they asked me who I was, or what I'd been doing then how could I answer him with anything except, 'I don't know'. I didn't even know my own name for Gods sakes. I could guess it was Noriko something, but for all I knew it could've been Noriko J Croft. Would they figure out then that maybe I wasn't really who I appeared to be, or just think I was psychologically damaged by whatever accident had put me in hospital in the first place.
So if this was NGE, at least I knew I'd fit in perfectly.
"No," I shook my head nervously. It wasn't as if I really had much of a choice in the matter anyway.
"Good, good," he smiled at me. "Now, can you tell me your name?"
Already failed the test at the first question. It was like my Maths finals all over again. Quickly, I searched for something, anything that could be a hit at what my last name might be. A small label, written in roman characters, was taped to the now silent cardiograph.
'Nagato, Noriko No. 513.' it read in bold black letters.
I turned to the doctor, still patiently waiting for my a response, and with the utmost confidence that I was right, I answered.
"Noriko Nagato,"
He frowned playfully at me.
"You read the machine, didn't you?"
Damn.
"Em…kind of," I scratched the back of my head sheepishly. Caught cheating, it really was like my Maths finals all over again.
"Well," he cleared his throat dramatically, glancing at his clipboard "You did that the last time too,"
"Um…Last time?" I questioned.
His shoulders dropped with a loud sigh. Had I said something wrong? What did he mean by 'Last Time'? The last time I was awake, I'd been drugged asleep. I think. Another insecurity to gnaw at the back of my mind.
"Well, we don't need to worry about it," he obviously dodged the issue. "Can you tell me a little about yourself?"
I could already see him writing 'Severe Emotional Trauma', or something to that effect on his brown clipboard. Anyway, I had to at least attempt to find an answer. There was a chance I could be right.
"I am Japanese,"
It didn't exactly take Vulcan level logic to work that out. I had a Japanese name, and I was definitely in a Japanese hospital.
"Correct," the doctor nodded. "At least, you were born here," he corrected me. "Now, do you remember anything else?"
On a leap of faith I just closed my eyes, and hoped that perhaps, like deleted data on a disk, some of Noriko's memories might be left behind before they were overwritten.
Nope, nothing except an odd feeling that something was missing from my left arm. Other than that, nothing.
"No," I looked at my left arm, and a strange pink scar that suddenly seemed more important somehow.
"Your family, you're home, anything?" he nudged.
Family?
Choked up momentarily, it came as a kick to the teeth reminder of my own real family. Whatever the hell had just happened to me, they probably knew about it now. Christ I just wanted them to be with me. I didn't want to cry, I didn't want to suddenly break down like this. Events were finally catching up to me as it became clear that I was alone, and that nobody was going to come and take me home. Wet tears ran down my cheeks as I looked back up at the doctor, who was still waiting.
"I don't…" I sniffed. "I don't remember."
That was a lie. That just made me feel worse. Guilt for not even acknowledging their existence. I buried my face in my hands and tried to get some semblance of control of myself. Well, my mother had always been complaining about how she wished she'd had a daughter instead of two sons. My own fault for being a lazy ass sometimes I guess.
Whimpering, I looked to the Doctor. I couldn't ask him to just take me home. He probably didn't know where home was.
"In your own time," Dr. James said softly
"I'm okay," I sniffed, wiping my nose. "I'm okay, I'm okay,"
I could deal with this. Compared to the traditional EVA tragic past, this was a breeze. At least they were still alive. Or maybe killed during Second Impact. Fracking hormone driven emotions won't even give me a chance to calm down and get a level head.
I closed my eyes and took a long shivered breath, holding it, swallowing that lump in my throat and then just looking back up at the doctor. I wasn't going to curl up into some ball of despair over this. Worse things happened at sea, I could deal with it. I could deal with it.
Teary eyed and quaking slightly I looked to the doctor to continue. Someone said the truth hurts, so I wanted some golden anaesthetic first. But I was at least four years too young for that now.
"So you remember nothing then?"
"No," I answered in a small voice. "Nothing before waking up."
"Okay," he sighed. "Perhaps I could tell you a little about yourself then?"
"I'd like that,"
Anything to divert my train of thought from it's inevitable destination.
"Alright," he cleared his throat, leafing through the pages on his board. "You were born here, in Japan, on November 11th, 2000. You were registered at Usui refugee centre in Gunma, so that'd make you a Japanese citizen,"
Hence the probable mystery as to why a fourteen year old Japanese girl could only speak English. And fluent English at that. I just listened intently as the Doctor continued.
"You're parents names were Megumi Nagato, your mother, and Hiroki Nagato, your father."
The mention of 'my' mothers name had me looking again at my left wrist, as if something was missing.
"Anyway, sometime after the Valentine armistice, records are unclear on this, your family moved to Europe, taking you with them. Your Father's agency was transferring him back here when your flight came down,"
According to Doctor James, my mother was killed in a car accident about three years beforehand. That meant I had no living relatives left, that they could find anyway.
That's the way it continued really. I suppose the doctor expected each new sentence to be a hammer blow to me psyche but I honestly wasn't too bothered by it. To tell the truth I was strangely enthralled by this tale of my past. And, I finally had an explanation for that so called nightmare.
As it was, I was also one of only three survivors of the crash of Oceanic Flight 214. The Pilot who was a vegetable somewhere in the hospital, and a four year old girl that was found in a tree, having been thrown clear of the wreckage. I'd been found alive, but unconscious in the wreckage.
Suffice to say, with some diversion, I was beginning to feel better.
Although, had I actually known anyone involved at the time, I'd probably have been huddled in a ball on the floor crying for my mommy. As it was, I just wanted to hear more of this short, but interesting story that was 'my' life. I was meeting a new person, and I wanted to know everything about her.
"Of course, there are some matters that I'm hesitant to bring up right now," he paused and took a deep breath. I just watched him, waiting patiently for whatever he was going to tell me "Well, it'll have to come out eventually I suppose,"
I stared at him, impatiently waiting for whatever this might be.
"Your Father was also killed in the crash." he concluded solemnly.
That left me at a bit of a loss. I just wasn't sure how I was supposed to respond to that. I wasn't really too concerned about the death of someone I hadn't known. To me, Hiroki Nagato was just a name on a piece of paper.
"I understand." I answered flatly.
Saying 'Okay' with a bright smile would've probably had me being quickly sent for intensive psychotherapy sessions.
"How are you feeling now?" he asked.
"I'm okay," I responded. "Just a bit rattled. It's a lot to take in,"
"Take your time," The doctor said, his compassionate smile returning. "I have other patients to attend to Noriko, so, I'll have to see you tomorrow then. There should be a government official as well. Nurse Ibuki here will take care of your 'private' issues. Cheerio!"
"Em, Cheerio," I answered, more interested in the fifty year old, slightly overweight, brunette nurse that had been working unnoticed in my room the whole time. She was the same one who had drugged me before, and found me awake earlier.
What could the Doctor possibly mean by 'Private issues'?
The nurse snapped a pair of rubber gloves from a small cardboard box. She said something that sounded as if it was supposed to reassure me as she slowly approached. I shrank back into my pillow, still trying to figure out what she wanted to do.
When I did, I knew true fear.
What happened afterwards is best not mentioned. Suffice to say, twenty minutes later I was no longer tethered to my bed, though I'd gained a very sore spot between my legs for the privilege.
 
I was also eating my way through some soft strawberry jelly and ice cream, the first thing my body had eaten through the mouth in around seven months. I poked at a still-fresh scar that slashed across my stomach like a failed attempt at seppuku. It had partners on my right arm and leg, running parallel to the bone. I could feel the metal holding the bones together underneath when I squeezed.
My first full day in the Evaverse ended with me lying back on my bed, staring once more at the ceiling. I was cranking the day's events over in my mind, trying to fill in certain blanks, and maybe get some small idea of what might be coming.
A government official, did that mean Foster care then?
I had the traditional EVA tragic past, so it was entirely possible that perhaps I could find myself behind the sticks of an Evangelion. The fanboy within stirred at the merest hint of that possibility, desperately searching for any and all possible scenarios that could put me at the controls of Unit 01, no matter how far-fetched.
And then, night fell, and the hospital fell silent. In the darkness, I was alone, lying there, listening to the rattle of the ventilation, with the silhouette of Ramiel against the moonlit sky as my only company.
Nuts to EVA, I really wanted to go home, just wake up in my own bed, realise this was a nightmare and live happily ever after.
Sometime after that, I fell into a peaceful and welcome sleep.
I…..I
Morning came, and I was woken by the warmth of the sun shining on my face. The by now familiar smell of lemon told me exactly where I was. I was still in the hospital room. I was still Noriko Nagato.
Damn. It looked like I couldn't expect that to change anytime soon.
Breakfast arrived, a bowl of what appeared to be Corn Flakes and a cup of green tea. An unusual mix, but filling enough.
I was quickly finding though, that some things were common to both genders. Like the uncomfortable pressure of a full bladder.
Which meant I had to find a bathroom.
Slowly, I swung my creaking legs over the edge of the bed, pulling myself up onto my feet for the first time. My joints were stiff and painful, not having been used. Like a drunk who's had more than one too many I struggled on jelly legs to find something that resembled a centre of balance.
At least I didn't fall flat on my face.
Still struggling to walk, concentrating on just putting one foot in front of the other, I staggered my way out the veneer door, and into the stark white corridor outside. Joints creaked and muscles ached, but my legs were working. Left…right…left…right. Not hard, I just had to concentrate.
A cute bottle blonde nurse smiled at me, before carrying on with whatever business she was taking care of. Using a wooden banister that ran along the wall for balance I stumbled forward on my intrepid search . My bare feet padded on the cold linoleum floor as tried to figure out where the nearest bathroom was.
I gave thanks that most signs were bilingual, but most only directed me to either 'Radiology' or 'Cardiology'. They may have been in English, but they weren't in any language I spoke. It was almost pure chance that found me standing outside the pastel pink doorway marked with the internationally recognised symbol for 'ladies'.
I swallowed, my hand stopping before it reached the metal push plate.
Twenty years of social conditioning told me that what was beyond that door was forbidden country. Only bad things could come of it. But I couldn't exactly go to the gents now, could I?
The choice was harder than I thought it'd be anyway.
"Well, to boldly go where no man has gone before,"
Somehow, Captain Kirk's famous quote seemed strangely appropriate. It also sounded just plain weird coming from a fourteen year old girl. A squeak of the door and I passed into a perfume smelling world of pastel colours, pink and pale blues. The air inside reeked of lavender, rose, apricot, and God knows what else.
I really didn't belong in there.
But nobody had yelled at me so I carried on my search for an empty stall. I barely noticed my reflection in the mirrors above the row of washbasins on my left as I closed the door behind me and took care of what I came to do.
Washing my hands I caught my first good look at myself in the mirror. My face was traditional oriental Japanese, with chestnut brown eyes and slightly pale, rounded cheeks. Of course, I was more than a little rough around the edges, with a few stray strands of long black hair across my face, the rest hanging haphazardly behind my shoulders.
"Well hello there Noriko," I smiled at myself, the doppelganger in the mirror matching my actions perfectly. "Nice to meet you Miss Nagato,"
I was a little thin and underfed, a little wiry in my arms and legs, but I still had an acceptable figure.
An old lady who'd entered unheard gave me the strangest look, as if I was mad, but I just answered her with a smile
And so, I made my way back to my room. Already, I was beginning to adapt to my altered centre of gravity. I could walk without tripping over my own feet at least, though it was obvious to just about everyone I passed that it'd been a while since I'd been standing on my own two feet.
To my surprise, I was stopped halfway back by a Japanese woman. I wasn't sure what it was, but there was something damned familiar about her. Maybe, it was her false leather red pilot's jacket, or her dark purple hair. Whoever she was, she radiated a soothing kindness from her brown eyes.
She seemed to be asking me a question, maybe searching for something. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the limit of my Japanese language abilities. That and one simple phrase that could be helpful.
"Um….Gomen Nasai," I stuttered with a shake of my head. I had no idea what she was on about anyway, so there was no way I could help her, or anything.
"Arigato," she smiled at me, before carrying on with her search.
I just watched her walk. Her short black skirt and long legs. I fought down a wave of attraction, still completely unable to find a name to match what I was one hundred percent certain was a familiar face.
Whoever she was, she wasn't worth worrying about at any rate. I had the feeling that'd be the last I saw of her
Returning to my bed, I sat and watched a few shows, even if I couldn't understand what was being said, one of the shows, I couldn't remember the title, seemed strangely familiar.
"Good Afternoon Noriko!" Dr James' cheerful voice interrupted my viewing pleasure.
"Afternoon," I responded, a little irritated.
"I've brought someone from the government to see you. Captain Misato Katsuragi from NERV,"
Really? The Misato Katsuragi. Of course, it was only then that I finally figured out who exactly the woman in the corridor had actually been. Damn, and I'd just been an idiot when she'd spoken to me. I didn't even get her autograph.
The Major…correction, Captain appeared with a smile on her face, standing in the doorway, carrying a grey folder under her arm. I'd definitely met her on the corridor I think she recognised me immediately.
A quick exchange between her and the Doctor and I guessed he explained my language difficulties to her. It just unnerved me that they were discussing what was likely my future, and I didn't have a say in it.
The fanboy within me remembered a Misato/Asuka fic I'd once read.
In reality, that was about as likely as Shinji falling from the cockpit of Unit 01 and me taking his place. Of course, in reality, this was all just some TV series, with two movies at the end. And Misato was speaking to me as she placed a grey folder on my bedside table.
"Your Father worked for an agency called NERV." the Doctor translated Misato's words for my benefit. "He was being transferred here, to Tokyo-3 when the plane crashed."
I just nodded, this being old news me.
"He worked on something called 'Evangelion', did he ever tell you about this?" the Captain/Doctor asked.
Technically, I didn't know the answer to that. He might've told Noriko, but I couldn't remember if he did. I did know what an EVA was, but there wasn't a way in hell I'd let anyone else know that. Inanyways, I'd have to keep my series knowledge secret, anything otherwise could be very dangerous.
That, and there really was only one reason she could be talking to a fourteen year old orphan child about a giant robot. I started to fizz inside with a giddy excitement.
"No." I answered meekly, nervously, expecting any moment for it either to be explained or offered to me.
She smiled and nodded.
"I'll leave these folders with you then tonight. They'll tell you everything you need to know."
Again, I could only nod my understanding, feeling nervously sick, like a kid climbing down the stairs on Christmas morning, waiting to see what was waiting for him under the tree.
"I'll see you tomorrow Noriko," Misato smiled at me. "There is something I need to discuss with you then,"
I already knew exactly what that was going to be.
My second full day as Noriko Nagato was ended by me reading through the grey leaflet, marked in English 'For your eyes only'
NERV: Organisation created by the UN NERV charter in 2010. Official purpose is research and development into biotechnology and cybernetics. NERV has recently been tasked with organising international defences against enemies known as Angels. NERV, is the fourth largest single military organisation in the world. NERV is also the only known organisation capable of employing bipedal combat Mecha, namely the Evangelion Units.
Evangelion: Usually abbreviated to simply EVA, the Multi Purpose Artificial Humanoid Evangelion is currently the only weapons system capable of successfully combating Angels. Approximately 115.6 metres tall to the shoulder and weighing on average of 4500 tonnes empty, there are currently three Units in service.
Evangelion Unit 00, Unit 01 and Unit 02. In addition, Unit's 03, 04 and 05 are currently under construction. Further data is classified.
Angel: Very little is known about these mysterious enemies. Their origins, motives and nature remain a mystery. It is believed that Angels originate within the South Pacific, possibly below Dante's parallel (66 degrees). For reasons that remain unknown their attacks appear to be limited to the city of Tokyo-3. There have been five attacks so far.
So then, it was simply up to me to discover what EVA they wanted me to Pilot. It was obvious they wanted me to Pilot one, why else would they be giving me all this information, to write a fanfic when I get home?
But still, which EVA?
Unit 03 could be a death sentence, 04 as well. Unit 05 I hadn't heard of before, so maybe it might be that one.
But did I really want this? This was like some Ideon Gun. A good thing in theory, but I was almost afraid to touch it because I knew just how badly it could blow up in my face. An EVA could go berserk and rip my mind to shreds, or crush me or kill me or God knows what else. And that's not even mentioning Third Impact.
Then again what sort of Mecha fanboy would I be if I turned down the opportunity to Pilot a giant robot.
A sane one perhaps?
There was an easy answer. There had been five Angel attacks, the first to attack would've been the Third, so that meant the most recent was the Eighth, right, with five more to go until Bardiel, or the explosion of Unit 04. This was supposed to be the 'happy' part of the series so that'd make it the safe part, wouldn't it?
That settled it.
I'd accept.
It was an almost giddy feeling, knowing that very soon I could be sitting in my own entry plug.
I…..I
The next day came, and I was almost sick with anticipation, waiting for the Captain to arrive.
She only had one simple question for me.
"Would you like to try and Pilot EVA?"
My answer was some strange excited squeal that passed for a yes. It was all I could do not to just jump forward and glomp the red jacketed Captain, bury my face in her ample chest and thank her repeatedly for the opportunity.
Some small part of my psyche warned that I might be paying for this later on, but right then, I couldn't have cared less. I was going to be an EVA Pilot. An actual gianti robot. Worrying about that was far more enjoyable than worrying about spending the rest of my life as a young girl in a world doomed to be destroyed in only a few months.
I…..I
It was something I just didn't want to do. God help me I wanted to avoid it for as long as possible. Of course, therein lay the problem. What I wanted to do, was the exact opposite of what I had to do.
"You need to wear something other than a paper hospital gown when Captain Katsuragi picks you up," Doctor James had said.
Okay, I could agree with that.
But still, it was what that 'something' was that was the problem.
Either the Doctor or the Captain, I didn't know who, had kindly provided me with some simple clothes to wear for the day. The loose white t-shirt wouldn't be a problem. Neither would the blue denim jeans and narrow false leather belt, or the white tennis shoes and socks.
My problem was the otherwise innocuous white cotton bra and panties combination that lay beside my clothes on my bed.
It was one of those lines that, once I crossed it, there'd be no going back. 20 years of conditioning by society told me that women's underwear was a 'no'. If any psychiatrist ever found out about this, I'd bet it'd make a fascinating paper. Of course, I'd expect it to be worth a Nobel prize.
"She'll be here in a minute," The doc knocked on the door. "Hurry up!"
"Em…." I stuttered, "Just a minute!"
There really was going to be no avoiding this. I couldn't exactly just wear my other clothes, with no underwear beneath. Oh damn. I really had no other choice with this.
My dirty blue gown was dumped in the bin, and I stood naked, still trying to work up some amount of courage to step into the delicate white cotton smalls.
'Oh just get on with it! Stop stalling and just put them on. They won't kill you.'
They seemed a bit too small anyway. But, there was nothing else coming
Embarrassment twisted my stomach as I finally worked up the courage to at least try them.
Snug and tight, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Actually quite comfortable, though I was ashamed to admit that. Somehow, I knew there was a group of security guards watching me over CCTV, laughing at me, or worse.
"This is so embarrassing." I mumbled shamefully, struggling to fit myself in the brassiere.
My only experience with that particular piece female underwear was taking the thing off. And I was sure that any minute the wall could drop away and reveal some hidden camera crew, and the fact that the shame rushing through my body and heating my face was being broadcast live to millions of viewers.
Eventually, I struggled my way into the supporting garments.
The underwear was a snug fit, to say the least, but it wasn't actually that uncomfortable. It felt weird, and a bit ticklish in places, the anatomical differences between male and female making themselves known each time I moved..
At least with some proper clothes on I could feel almost normal. God help me though if someone decided I had to wear a skirt, or worse, a bikini.
"Miss Katsuragi'll be here soon" The doctor called in. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah, Yeah!" I shouted out, quickly tying my shoelaces, any semblance of shame melting away by the thought of seeing Misato again. "I'm ready now,"
Dr. James guided me to the front door where I bade him goodbye and thanks for his kindness.
With the dressings taken off my leg and arm I could walk easier, but it was still hard. Supposedly, I hadn't walked for around seven months so some of my muscles had begun to atrophy. The underwear felt a still bit weird as well, but like the Borg, I could adapt.
Eventually, nearly an hour late, Misato's distinctive sports car skidded to a halt opposite me, the Tokyo-3 sunlight glittering off the gloss blue paint, as well as every single dent, ding, scratch and chip.
The passenger door swung open with a squeak, Misato's sunny face beckoning me inside.
Judging by the rather dilapidated state of her car, that might not be the safest move. The entire front bumper looked as if it was being held on just by a few strips of sellotape. The whole vehicle looked like someone had dropped an atom bomb on it.
Which, in Episode One, they had.
The thing was probably a bloody deathtrap. But, like everything, it wasn't as if I really had a choice in the matter. I didn't have any money for public transport, or anywhere to go if I did.
So, I quietly slipped down into the passenger seat beside the cheerful Captain and closed the door with a terminal 'thunk'. Inside, the lavender smell of Misato's perfume mixed with the scent of the little paper pine tree hanging from the mirror and what might've been leaking exhaust fumes. The upholstery was faded and worn, the dashboard sun cracked and the carpets scuffed and muddy. A pile of old batteries on the back seat covered by a dirty white sheet did little to inspire confidence in the machine.
Was that a worn big end knocking I could hear behind me? A con-rod ready to make its bid for freedom through the crankcase in a shower of shattered steel and overworked oil.
Misato said something to me, a direction to do something, but all I could do was blink in confused ignorance. A gentle tap on the seatbelt buckle told me exactly what she meant.
"Right, Okay," I nodded my understanding. "Em…Hai!"
'Hai' Was Japanese for 'Yes', or something like that right?
It seemed to be. She understood what I meant anyway.
A grey dossier, tape sealed with my name written on it, had been left on top of the glove compartment, something to read on the journey. With a squeal of tortured tyres, the car shot off, pushing me hard back into the seat.
Occasionally, the Captain would try and break the silence with some small conversation, but the only response I could give her was an ignorant smile. Eventually, she just gave up, the two of us continuing our journey in silence.
I had a more distracting problem though.
It wasn't that Misato was driving fast per se, it was just the way she had a tendency to hit just about any bump in the road at full speed, jolting me uncomfortably each time. Another item added to the list of things I had to get used to about my body was what the bustgunner effect.
Suffice to say, it wasn't just the car's suspension that was bouncing off the bumps.
Groaning, I shifted and fidgeted constantly in my seat, searching for some hidden place of relative comfort, despite my underwear trying to work it's way into ever more uncomfortable locations. With my new body, everything just felt strange, weight and sensation shifting unpredictably with even the smallest jolt. I even felt things differently, emotions and sensations being more defined and stronger somehow.
Eventually I settled down somewhat, just watching out the window, still fascinated by the remains of the Angel and now all the shining fifty story glass and steel skyscrapers as well.
I'd never seen a building taller than ten.
I think, judging by the way Misato was waving her arm, she was trying to explain to me that the buildings could be raised and lowered. I just boggled at how the entire city was designed and constructed in only fifteen years, as well as the machinery below ground required to move it and operate it.
Finally, after maybe an hours journey through traffic we pulled up outside a familiar looking apartment block. My heart skipped a beat as I realised just why we were stopping there.
The Katsuragi apartment was likely to be my new home.
It made sense I suppose. I couldn't exactly live by myself, and the other two EVA Pilots already lived there, so it was the logical choice. I swallowed a sudden surge of nervous excitement, knowing that I'd probably be meeting Asuka and Shinji in a few minutes.
With a simple gesture Misato indicated that I should follow her. She quickly led me to a lift which took me ten stories up.
I took special care as we walked to the apartment to keep away from the railing that looked out over a fall of at least ten stories, down to a small atrium garden and playground inside the rectangular building.
And a single grey steel door directly in front of me with a brass plate marked 1014, and a series of Kanji I couldn't read.
She opened the apartment door but allowed me to enter first. Curiously, I stepped into what would be my home for the foreseeable future, a small tiled floor before a step up into the kitchen. Quickly, I was stopped by a tap on shoulder before I could get too far in.
Misato just smiled and pointed to my feet, before slipping out of her own high heels.
"Right, Okay," I nodded.
"Tadaima!" she announced, deftly tossing her jacket onto a hanger by the door.
I quickly shuffled out of the shoes that I had been given in the hospital and stepped up into the hallway. I couldn't help but feel like I was an intruder sneaking into somewhere he didn't belong.
"Em…Tadoyma." I copied her as best I could, following her in.
We were answered by a single lonely penguin, waddling his way to his owners arms, and silence.
If this was Misato's apartment, then where were Asuka and Shinji?
Stupid question.
They had to be at school, or training at NERV. I couldn't expect them to be here all the time. Misato cuddled and cooed at the penguin in her arms as if the bird was her own young baby, kissing the lucky bird as I began to explore my new residence.
It was just like the apartment from the series, a dead match, from the television and video set by the glass balcony doors, a cheap wooden table and chair set in the kitchen, to short hallway and three doors, a fourth opening into what looked like a small hot press with a bed on the floor, a heart shaped sign hanging on the door.
I swallowed a building lump in my throat as I found a set of red plastic clips on the table in the kitchen.
They were Asuka's.
A digital tape player lay on the kitchen counter beside the cooker, headphone leads coiling and snaking around the little black box. I'd owned one just like it once, nearly ten years ago.
It probably belonged to Shinji.
In the wash basket were a few sets of dirty leotards, some underwear and other odds and ends.
A sudden rush of excitement.
They were here. They were real people. I was there. I really was there.
I almost expected the two Pilot's to appear at the door arguing with each other. It was a strange feeling, bubbling in the pit of my stomach, a sensation that they'd just left the room and would be back any minute.
And what would Asuka think of me?
I know it was just fanboyish immaturity, and I kicked myself for it, but I just wanted to know what the German girl thought of me. Would she see me as a rival, something to be crushed and ground down into the ground?
Shinji, I was sure he'd be kind, but what could I say to him without accidentally hurting him, or poking at some raw nerve?
Christ, I knew so much about these people. More than I probably had a right to anyway. Asuka's mother, Misato and Second Impact, even Shinji's first meeting with Unit 01. One wrong word, a stupid slip of the tongue and I could find myself in hot water, or worse.
I could see the interrogation. The darkness, and a hot bright light burning in my face, hiding my inquisitors from view.
'Now tell us, just how did you know I had a boyfriend named Ryoji Kaji in college? And that we'd spent a week working on 'extra curricular activities'?'
'Um….'
Thank God for the language barrier is all I can say. I couldn't say something stupid if I couldn't speak the language, could I?
"Noriko." The Captain called for me.
She'd found a fresh towel, a selection of toiletries and some nightclothes for me to wear.
"Em…shower?"
I made the universal 'shower' gesture, sweeping my hand over my head to make sure she understood. I felt I looked like a right idiot doing it, but, I think she understood what I meant. Crazy hand gestures really were a universal language in themselves.
As the door slid shut behind me, I was confronted with the realisation that I'd have to undress myself again, then wash my naked body.
Maybe if I just closed my eyes and pretended nothing was different, I could do it.
I could take my clothes off, drop my underwear on the floor, run the shower and wash myself without ever noticing my current biological situation, or the fact that, in all fairness, I had quite a nice figure.
Nope, no chance of that.
My subconscious was having no small difficulty coming to terms with the obvious fact that the attractive female who was supposedly showering with me and gently lathering my body up with lavender soap was in fact just myself.
That, and I was getting …ahem…'ticklish' again.
Looking down at the results, I felt nauseous, strangely giddy and more than a little embarrassed and red faced at the effects. I tried to shake it off, but I found myself almost wanting to laugh at my own stupidity.
My brain, unsure what to make of the confusing sensations it had been receiving all day finally came to the conclusion that I was somehow sick, or had accidentally poisoned myself.
I threw the entire contents of my stomach up into the toilet, retching painfully until it was empty.
Good God would I ever get used to this?
Just get this done and carry on from there.
I finished cleaning my hair, which was a chore considering it now hung well below my shoulders. Next came the razor that had been among the toiletries I'd been given. That was somewhat easier, and not exactly that unpleasant.
And I figured, if I was going to be stuck as a girl, I might as well make some sort of effort to look after myself now.
My face in the mirror smiled as I gave myself a quick look over once more. I really was a bit too much on the thin side, several months in bed having taken their toll. But I felt strangely good about myself.
Until my shaven legs began to itch terribly.
I could deal with it. I could get used to it. Eventually.
Sliding the bathroom door open again, I was greeting by two words. A phrase I knew well from the poor quality fansubs that had first introduced us.
"Anta Baka."
The voice was too shrill to be Misato's, so it had to be someone else. And only one member of the Katsuragi household sounded like the BR announcer girl
With her rust coloured hair and turquoise school uniform, Asuka Langly Soryhu was standing beside the living room couch, radiating her natural pride and self confidence. It was enough to make me want to hide back in the shower before she noticed me.
"Gomen Nasai."
Small and meek, almost hiding from the teuton's accusations, it didn't take a genius to figure out who it belonged to. Searching for something in his white shirt pocket was Shinji Ikari.
Sitting cross legged at the table, nursing a can of beer was Misato, grinning right at me.
She hadn't told them yet, had she?
A shrill demand from the German redhead gave my answer.
That was a 'no' then.
Shinji nearly dropped the notepapers he was holding when he discovered the reason why she was shouting.
Another demand from Asuka, this time directed to the NERV captain sitting at the table, grinning like a Cheshire cat at her. How long was Misato going to hold out on an answer? How long would it take for me to run to the door and avoid a violent confrontation?
"Nagato Noriko, Fourth Children," The purple haired beauty finally introduced me.
"Fourth Children," Shinji parroted.
"Ikari Shinji,"
He bowed politely
Asuka was stunned for a moment, giving quick, sharp glances between myself, the future Major and the third Children. I could see it, the realisation working it's way into the deepest reaches of her mind, slowly insinuating itself into her consciousness.
A little unsure what to do myself, I could only bow like I'd seen in so many television shows.
With a snort and a prideful toss of her hair, I knew whatever Asuka'd said had been to cover her ass, and hide the fact that Shinji'd caught on well before her.
"Soryhu Asuka Langly, Second Children."
That much I understood at least, the fast paced monologue that followed shooting clear over my head.
I stared blankly, not having the foggiest idea what she was on about. Damn it, she probably already thought I was an idiot the way I was staring at her. If there was one memory of Noriko's I desperately wanted, it was her language skills.
Eventually Misato thankfully explained to her that I couldn't understand a word she was saying.
"So why can't you speak Japanese anyway, Fourth Child?"
"Em, I don't know."
"How can you not know if you'd ever been taught Japanese?" she asked in that colour of arrogance I knew she reserved for especially stupid statements.
I couldn't answer her. I just couldn't. I couldn't physically force the words out. There was something about her presence, the way she was standing that made her seem to tower over me, despite the fact that I was damned sure I had a few inches on her. Asuka's ice blue eyes studied me intently, as she clearly gauged my potential as a rival.
I had to say something.
I had to.
Anything.
Just to show I wasn't an idiot.
"I don't know," I squawked.
Cue sarcastic clapping, ringing in the back of my mind.
"What are you, stupid? Can't you say anything else?"
"I…."
Don't say it. Please don't say it. For the love of God don't say it.
"….don't know."
And I'd laughed at Shinji for being spineless. There I was, standing, acting with as much backbone as your average jellyfish. God, she probably thinks I'm such an eejit now.
"Now you're just annoying me. One last chance Fourth Child. Why weren't you taught Japanese?"
Okay, focus. Just tell the truth.
"I was in hospital for seven months. My memory's been damaged, so I can't remember."
It was an improvement anyway.
"There," she smiled. "That wasn't so hard, was it?"
"Not really."
Shinji was already getting dinner ready as Asuka changed her clothes. I just found place to hide on the couch. I'd been such an idiot I wanted to kick myself for it, bury myself in the grey pages of my Pilots manual and hide from my embarrassment and shame over my own stupidity.
Honestly though, could anybody else say they would've done any better?
The words in front of me blurred into single black lines while I tried to pretend I wasn't interested in the attractive German who'd dropped into the chair beside me.
I wasn't interested in her pale green T-shirt.
I wasn't interested in her tight fitting denim shorts.
Or her long, rust red hair for that matter.
Damn.
I just pushed my head deeper into the dossier and tried to let on I wasn't too concerned at all. It told me exactly how my short life would end anyway. Crushed by Unit 01 it was going to be.
"So you're the Pilot of Unit 03 then?"
Just focus on the words on the page, and not on who's asking the question
"Em…That's what it says here,"
"Nothing but a Yank Tank," she huffed. "It's much too complicated."
"It's a production model, similar to Unit 02." I said, reading from the dossier.
"It's nothing like MY Unit 02…"
"It says here it's supposed to be better," I interrupted, blissfully ignorant of the immediate danger, still reading the specifications. "Because of the degree integration of computer control into the firing system, it has a faster target acquisition time, as well as a higher hit ratio with standard weaponry,"
I should've really remembered who I was talking to.
"An EVA can only be as good as the Pilot, Fourth Child," Asuka finally snapped. "I'm still the number one Pilot with the highest synchronisation scores. You haven't even performed your activation tests yet have you Fourth?"
"Eh…"
I don't know why I hadn't expected it. Had I still been a guy, chances are I'd have gained a stinging red hand print across my cheek for the trouble. As it was, the Second Child was staring my accidental challenge down, daring me to counter attack.
"Well, I've been in a hospital, I can't synchronise when I'm in hospital, can I?"
Maybe surrender would've been the better choice.
"Of course not. It's a wonder they even selected you as Pilot after being injured like that,"
Asuka blitzkrieged my token challenge to her personal superiority. The final assault was broken only by a voice calling us to the kitchen. All hostility's were to be ended by a plate of fried fish and rice.
At least dinner was quiet.
My first meal ended and time passed with Misato trying to teach me some basic Japanese from a battered old phrasebook. My accent butchered her native tongue, but learning enough Japanese to tell people I couldn't speak Japanese gave me a fine sense of accomplishment anyway.
An argument between the two Pilots was passed by me quietly reading my manual, ducking beneath the flying German and Japanese insults, Shinji giving back most of what he took.
Was I going to have to listen to this all the time?
Or could I just move in with Rei?
She'd be a nice, quiet person to live with, wouldn't she?
The argument died down, as what sounded like a shower began to hum in the background.
And Pen-Pen arrived, demanding my attention, staring at me with his beady little green eyes, just waiting for me to do something. It was almost like he knew something wasn't right about me.
He just stared.
"Waark!" he announced, before waddling away to Shinji, cleaning the dishes.
It was almost disappointing. I'd been expecting something more substantial, 'Nevermore' perhaps.
"Weird Bird."
It's because of all the beer Misato feeds him." Asuka explained. "He's gone funny in the head with it."
"Beer?" My eye's widened and my lips went dry. It'd been a while since I'd had a drink. That, and I just wanted to know how the hell a penguin could drink from a can.
"If you can even call it that. It's nothing but swill compared to German beer."
I had no choice but to agree.
"Gomen, Gomen, " Shinji stammered, before almost running through the hall to his room while holding his nose.
"What was that about?"
Misato came from the hall behind him wearing a towel, and not much else.
"Deviant probably peaked at Misato in the shower, not that she makes much of an effort to hide herself."
She said something in German that didn't sound to friendly before returning to the television.
A documentary about the Second Impact War in Europe was on. Asuka took great pride in explaining the various victories of the German Federal Army against the Eastern Communist Coalition, despite the fact that during the war all the armies of the former European Union had been united into one common army.
She also was quick to warn me about 'Any rookie behaviour getting in her way' during the next Angel battle.
Misato said something to Asuka, something she didn't sound too pleased about either.
"You're sleeping in my room tonight Fourth Child."
That was it.
I would've preferred somewhere on my own, the couch perhaps. Even Shinji's room would be better.
The Pilot's room was small, and a little messy, with some clothes and underwear thrown around, mixed with clothes catalogues and copies of German magazines piled haphazardly in the corner, heavy with the scent of perfumes, deodorant and sweat.
A small white rectangular mat on the floor, squeezed between the bed and the closet space.
Quietly, I just slipped between my lightweight bedsheets, cowering while Asuka got ready for bed beside me.
While she was getting changed I tried my absolute best to avoid seeing her naked. It just wasn't right to look at her, or even share the same bedroom as the Second Child.
If I was lucky, maybe I might even wake up in my own bed. This was my third night's sleep as Noriko so, third time lucky, right? I could wake up in my own bed, maybe with some new pointers on characterisation, or a fanfic idea.
Somehow that didn't exactly seem like a going possibility.for one thing, my maths were wrong...
"I want to go home," I mumbled to myself. "I just want to go home."
"Where're you from anyway?" Asuka cut in.
"Em….I don't know."
Asuka gave a grunt of annoyed frustration before turning over in her bed, muttering something to herself.
She probably hated me now, or at least thought I was an idiot. That was just perfect. I just rolled over, curled up into myself and tried to get some sleep. Eventually, I was successful.
I ended up keeping Misato's nightdress. It smelt faintly of beer and lavender, and I had no problems feeling attracted to her
I...I
Morning came, and the first thing I was aware of was a painful kick to the hip.
"Mmmm, Misato, do that again." I mumbled dreamily into my pillow.
When the Captain had discovered the truth of my origins, she'd gone out of her way to ensure that I was given a personal and thorough tour of the intricacies of my new anatomy. Perhaps there was something to this female form after all?
"Wha….? Ak. It's your activation test Fourth Child."
The high pitched voice of my new roommate kicked me back into reality. It was like a screaming power saw cutting hard steel, slowing ripping it's way into my dreams and shredding them to pieces.
"Yeah, yeah."
I buried my face in my pillow, and willed her to go away and leave me sleep, trying to block her out. Nuts to her, she should let me enjoy my few moments wrapped in the soothing warmth of my own blankets, the softness of my own skin, and the nimble fingers of the future Major.
"Get up!" she ripped my blankets off.
Suddenly colder, I rolled over and looked up at the redhead through sleep heavy eyes. She was standing proudly over me, wearing the uniform of Tokyo-3 junior high.
"Alright," I groaned, batting uselessly at the space where her foot had been.
Did she say something about an activation test? How come she was told, and I wasn't? Ah, right, it had been in the manual. I'd read that last night.
It was to be at 2:00pm.
What time was it?
A bleary eyed look at the digital clock above me told me it was only seven in the morning. Seven hours, or something like that, to go. At least let me get some sleep before I get infected by Bardiel.
Nope, it was too late for that now. My bedclothes were currently in the hands of an annoyed German who's sole objective was to remove me from my comfortable place of rest.
Grumbling to myself, I pushed myself upright, my breasts shifting irritatingly again. My fifth day as Noriko had begun.
Joining my three flatmates for breakfast, still wearing my nightshirt while the others were already dressed, I found my empty chair at the table.
"Good morning Noriko," Misato greeted me cheerfully, and slowly so I could understand her.
"Good Morning…em…" The correct choice of honorific and level of politeness?
Katsuragi-san," I ventured.
I'd always told it pays to be as polite and respectful as possible in Japan, and besides that was the way they did it on TV.
"Misato," she waved it off.
Minor formality glitches not withstanding the Captains language lessons from the previous night were already showing some minor effects. But still, the topic of the morning's conversation remained a mystery to me as I concentrated on the slightly soggy cereal in the bowl in front of me, and how best to keep it from a persistent penguin begging for a share.
Eight O'clock saw a ring at the door, which was answered by Shinji, the boy sighing as he realised nobody else would do it.
Asuka and Misato couldn't have been bothered, and I was too concerned myself with trying to copy what everyone was doing. Okay so it may have seemed stupid and petty but, the way I figured it, with my two female flatmates as role models, if I just did what they did and kept my mouth shut, I'd pick up this Japanese girl thing in a few weeks and nobody would be any the wiser as to my true origins. As it was, I was having trouble just matching the way Misato sat, that strange way she crossed her legs on her chair, pressing the soles of her feet together.
The purpled haired beauty grinned at me as I fidgeted on that seat, trying not to tip forward.
I was glad to see she was getting some entertainment out of it at least. How she could do it I didn't know.
Asuka swore as a dawn chorus of voices answered the door. I could see the chill visibly run down her spine as the source of the morning song appeared through the door. Two smiling faces accompanied by the flash of video camera lens.
"San Baka" Asuka huffed, or something to that effect
"What?"
"The three stooges."
Misato smiled a good morning, hugging herself in such a way as to make her breasts rise proudly. Asuka snorted her distaste for our guardian, while I wondered if I had to do that too. I sure as hell didn't want to, the mere thought of one of them getting interested in me, kissing me, doing….'things' to me, had my stomach wrapping itself in sickening knots.
"Ahoy O'Gozzoymuss" I offered meekly in my own incongruous North Dublin drawl.
Silence, and instantly, I knew I'd made a terrible mistake.
Both stared at me, trying to figure out who I was. I recognised that look on their faces immediately and it terrified me. It was one I'd worn many times myself the first time I'd met a nice girl and wondered just what lay waiting beneath her clothes.
Another barked demand from the pair sent Shinji reeling against wall. The grey eyed youth struggled to regain his footing, as I struggled to figure out what happened.
"Gomen." he stuttered, before launching into a rapid fire explanation
The fair haired boy, Kensuke Aida obviously, adjusted his glasses, his gaze shifting between me and Shinji. Touji doing similar, glancing between the Pilot of Unit 01 and myself.
'Please no, not that,' I thought, cringing noticeably
I knew what they wanted, simply because in their position, I would've been looking for the exact same thing. Of course, I was that shy, pale skinned quiet type so beloved of dating-sim fanboys, in their eyes at least. They looked to me to be veritable experts in the genre.
I could just imagine what Shinji was saying to them.
"There's something about Noriko that worries me. She's interesting and all that, but I can't help but get the feeling that there's more to her quietness than a simple lack of language skills. Maybe you might know what I should do."
Whatever he'd said, he finished with one phrase I could pick out.
"Pilot Sangouki"
Aida's eyes lit up with those words
"Aida Kensuke," he offered smartly, with a respectful bow
Should I even answer?
If I said something, and he got the wrong idea, well….it just wasn't going to be fun for either of us. My own fanboy battalion was something I could quite happily do without.
"Suzahara Touji," the tracksuited teenager bowed in turn.
Did I have to do something now?
Just be polite and courteous, it was the Japanese thing to do.
"I am Nagato Noriko," I said meekly, lowering my head.
Asuka winced.
It was a welcome relief for them both to answer with what sounded like a courteous "Nice to meet you." At least, I hoped that's what it was. There was something about their leering eyes that, somehow, made me think there was much more to it than that.
Thankfully, I wouldn't find out.
"Sayonara Misato," they waved as they left.
"Sayonara," she answered through her second golden beer can.
"Sayonara Noriko," the two chimed in.
"Oh God no," I mumbled, burying my face in my hands.
Looking at the pale orange sludge of dissolving cornflakes in front of me, I suddenly decided that I wasn't feeling too hungry after all.
It was best just to get dressed and hide until everyone left, and save myself from making a fool of myself again. My shared room would be my sanctuary from social slip ups and new psychological scars.
Unfortunately, Asuka had other ideas.
A few seconds after I closed the door, I heard it rattle open again. I could've cursed her for following me.
"You do know what you've just done Fourth Child?" she said.
I wanted her to leave me alone. I wanted to go back to bed. I wanted to curl up beneath my warm blankets and return to that blissful state between waking up and becoming fully aware of the world where I wouldn't have to worry about any of these small social niceties.
But still, I knew what she meant, and I still felt I would be a traitor to my gender if I didn't take the side of the stooges.
"They were just being polite." I answered, trying not to shrink back before the Second Child. "So was I."
"Polite?" Asuka snorted. "There was only one thing they were doing and it wasn't being polite."
"Not all guys are like that," I said. "It's possible for a man to be polite to a woman without being….interested….y'know."
It still sent cold shivers up my back just thinking about it.
"Ack…" The Bavarian twitched, "How hopelessly romantic. Look, listen here…." she grabbed me roughly by the shoulder, dragging me close. "…Because this is a Euro's worth of free advice that could save your life someday."
I just nodded.
"Never ever give them an opening," she said. "They will always exploit it. They are relentless. They will follow you to the ends of the Earth. When you have nowhere further to run they will wear down your defences, and when they do, you will be theirs for the taking, understand?"
There was something about the way she explained it that sent a chill down my spine, the way it made men sound almost like the Borg
"Sort of." I mumbled, thinking it was best not to argue the point, "But then, what am I supposed to do?"
"What are you, stupid?" Asuka huffed, "Ignore them of course. If you absolutely have to talk to them, make sure they know you are the one in control."
All I could do was groan slightly and stare at my bare feet. This was so much more complicated than I thought it would be. Who could've thought an attractive girl could have such problems?.
What was going to happen when they decided it was time to send me to school as well?
Urgh….
It would probably be best for my sanity not to dwell on that too much.
"Thanks." I said eventually, still nowhere near being sure of myself.
"Well, that's just one of the benefits of an Asuka Langly Soryhu friendship Fourth Child. You should count yourself lucky you have this opportunity."
She made it sound almost like a sales pitch. But still, she'd actually offered friendship. Whether I was some means towards supporting her own ego, or she'd just taken pity on me I didn't know, but still, it came as an electric excitement that Asuka would actually consider me a friend. Regardless as to whether it was some dumb fanboy thing on my part, or gratefulness that I could actually consider myself as having a friend, I still smiled widely.
"Thank you," I said again
"Just don't let it go to your head."
Too late.
"And learn Japanese quickly, okay? I don't want to have to be your interpreter."
"I will!" I chirruped gleefully.
"Asuka!" Misato called from outside, tapping on the door.
"Gah!" she spat, before answering back, not sounding too pleased about whatever our guardian had said.
"School," the redhead explained simply, "Not that I need to go of course, but the law is the law."
"I don't have to go," I grinned.
It had been decided that, for the time being, I could give Japanese schooling a miss, something for which I was most grateful. I definitely didn't look forward to a return to the industrial meat grinder that was institutionalised secondary education.
"Well it's good for some," she remarked with a toss of her hair. "Good luck with your test, I could do with some competent backup for once."
And then she left.
I was buzzing almost. While I still couldn't figure out just why she was doing it, Asuka had decided to consider me a friend. Whatever the reason, she was someone who had decided they wanted to be with me. I just had to hope I didn't screw it up again and end up annoying her. Asuka as an enemy I didn't want.
I washed myself and got dressed, which, with only Misato in the apartment, was quite pleasant. I didn't have much to wear, just some essentials that had been provided, but I didn't mind. I think I might've felt good about myself, a little more comfortable with my situation now that I was beginning to get used to it.
"Noriko" Misato called for me. "It is time."
As we both left the apartment, I was actually in a good mood.
I was guided back to the 'blue bucket', as I privately called Misato's Alpine, for the short journey down to the Geofront. Sitting in the speeding death trap, I tried to bury my face in the little phrasebook I'd been given and ignore the death rattle of the door on it's hinges.
"How do you feel?" Misato asked.
I couldn't answer, at least, I didn't have anywhere near the vocabulary to fully articulate myself.
Sickeningly apprehensive, that I might soon be running through the fingers of Unit 01. Confused, as to why Asuka would want me for a friend. Excited anticipation, that I'd be sitting at the controls of a giant robot, and more than a little curious at the same time. All whirled and spun like a washing machine in the back of my mind. Would breathing LCL really be as easy as it was in the series, or would it be more like The Abyss with me coughing and hacking the blood of Lilith onto the walkways Would Bardiel attack early, or the EVA run amok in headquarters?
Though, in the end, I really only had one word to choose from.
"I am…em…excited."
I was facing my possible death, and to tell the truth I was more concerned with whether the plugsuit would be comfortable or not.
Maybe it was a sign, that perhaps any fears I had were unfounded. Of course, maybe it was just my subconscious being kind for once and searching for some way for me not to think about becoming pilot pâté.
Either way, the 'Emergency Procedures' section of the manual was proving a gripping read.
I was jostled from my studies by a sudden jerked change of direction of the car. The vehicle was locked to some carriage, travelling downwards through some darkened tunnel, descending deeper with every second.
There is no Bardiel, my mind repeated. It's too early for Bardiel.
"Noriko."
"Huh?"
"It will be okay," Misato smiled at me. "You will enjoy this."
'Enjoy what?', I wondered.
Instantly, the car was flooded with brilliant morning sunlight once more. I blinked at the sight of inverted steel towers, hanging from the ceiling like great shining steel stalactites. Awestruck, I wondered at the mechanisms necessary to build and maintain the Ceiling City, that could raise and lower thousands of tonnes of tower in minutes. A spider's web of tunnels and catwalks weaved between the hanging towers, linking great grey sleeping pig-like structures that must've housed the mega-scale machinery needed.
Below, verdant green fields and rolling hills, a lake glistening in the morning sun almost as if a million miniature stars were blinking on its surface. The military grey form of a single battlecruiser slept peacefully on the water. Far in the corner, the pyramid structure of NERV headquarters sat dominantly, a building that would probably rival any building on the surface for height. It was definitely the largest I'd seen anyway.
The car appeared to be almost suspended in midair, floating slowly towards the ground far below. In the distance, a few grey towers poked up from the summer meadows, lop sided and leaning strangely.
Damage, from the Angel attacks.
All of this churned around in my mind, my lips struggling to articulate everything I wanted to say. It all boiled and distilled down into one single anti-climatic statement.
"Wow."
The headquarters building was more of the same, it was huge inside, great glass atriums and ten story escalators led to a warren of corridors and side passages, the type someone could disappear into one day and never find their way out. Hundreds of people milled about doing jobs I couldn't fathom, orange boiler suited technicians and tan uniformed bureaucrats. I flashed through pages in the dossier I'd been given, searching for a map, anything that could possibly be our destination, or just where in the hell I was.
All the corridors, storerooms and offices just looked the same. A flat, sterile white, with a red bar running along the wall. The occasional brass panel told me where I was, at least, it told me the name of where I was.
We passed the NERV psychological wards, dark and cordoned off with yellow tape, some rubble blocking the way some distance down. I just kept close to Misato being damned careful not to get lost. Chances are they'd never find me if I did.
Another sign.
MEDULA 247-A:: CENTRAL DOGMA
Didn't we already pass that?
I swear, sometimes it felt like we were just walking in circles.
In the end, I wasn't sure if it was by design, or just sheer luck on Misato's part, but somehow, we found our way to what seemed to be just any other motorised door on some unassuming hallway, unremarkable among the thousands of others that made up the labyrinth of NERV headquarters.
Inside though, was a familiar looking blonde woman wearing a white labcoat.
A quick exchange between the doctor and my guardian, and Misato left.
"Good luck" she said in accented English before the door closed behind me. It sounded like a set of prison bars slamming home for the final time, consigning me to my fate.
"Good morning Noriko," the doctor said. "Doctor Ritsuko Akagi, it's a pleasure to meet you."
I knew it.
And she was speaking clear English.
Thank God for that.
I could have almost run over and hugged her for it.
"Hi," I said quietly, taking in her office.
It was definitely smaller than I expected, being about the size of a cubicle. That's the way it seemed to me anyway, with the walls lined with shelves, file folders stacked haphazardly, mixed with more than a few chibi ceramic cats, old Hello Kitty's and a few cold cups of a mysterious yellowy brown liquid that might once have been coffee. Through another door was a white dividing screen, and not much else that I could see.
"I assume you know what the Evangelion is already?"
"I do," I nodded, showing my grey dossier. "I read about Unit 03."
And watched director's cut of all twenty six episodes including EoE and Episode twenty-one.
"Good," she gave me a slight smile. "That will save us some time."
I was almost quaking, and trying to hide it, the butterflies in my stomach slowly working their way up my throat.
"If you'll just step next door and undress, I'll be with you as soon as I can."
'Well' I thought ruefully as I pulled my shirt over my head, 'At least I'm getting plenty of practice.'
Although at the same time, I couldn't help but question why it was necessary for me to be poked and prodded by the doctor as if I was just another interesting specimen under her microscope.
"We need to make certain your body can withstand the stresses induced by the Evangelion." the doctor told me as she disappeared to prepare an injection, tapping the shining needle menacingly. "It's not like flying a plane you know."
I grimaced on the table as Ritsuko deftly reminded me of the one memory of Noriko's I didn't want. Well it was either that or the tunnel boring machine grinding it's way slowly through my shoulder.
"Normally, we'd just give you an MRI scan, but because of how some of your injuries were treated, the old fashioned way will have to do."
Another stab to the shoulder meant another injection.
"Don't you have any records, from the hospital like?"
I was a desperate for some way to end this, for some escape from my torture at the cold damp hands of the 'good' Doctor. I thought about running for it, but the grey painted portal to safety seemed impossibly far away, the industrial ventilation seeming impossibly cold against my soft bare skin.
"They don't tell us everything we need to know," she answered, in a matter of fact tone that to my ears seemed almost sadistic.
Everyone just loved torturing the new guy…err girl, didn't they?
It took an hour of examinations, questions, probings and God knows what else before my tormentor finally finished her work, disappearing back to her office to collate the data, leaving me still nude and sitting on the vinyl table. A quick visual search for my clothes, or anything to wear turned up nothing.
"This would've been so much better if I'd just been a guy." I sighed, flopping back onto the table with a dry slap of skin on plastic. I could've enjoyed myself, I could've been more relaxed and at ease instead of making an idiot of myself constantly. I could've have had a chance with Misato for Christ's sake, instead of having to deal with the unwanted interests of two stooges.
"What was that?" The doctor returned, carrying a plastic package under her arm
"Um…nothing." I swallowed my words. "Just thinking out loud."
That was one secret I wouldn't let out for love nor money.
"You do know that's the first sign of madness," she remarked offhand, "Perhaps we may need to run a full neural scan, as well as a few more intensive tests."
I baulked at the mere thought of spending one extra second beneath her tender mercies.
The reward of a gently cultured chuckle told me that had been the exact response she'd been expecting
"This is your plugsuit," she dropped the package on the bed beside me, "You'll need to wear it, for hygiene reasons. I'll leave you in privacy to change."
As she left me again I couldn't help but wonder if she meant it as a joke or not. Privacy? She already knew me better than I knew myself, inside and out.
It was with a childlike glee that I unwrapped the plugsuit from it's package, plastic neural clips clattering onto the floor. It was a Jordan yellow mostly, with black trim, almost like some form fitting hornet suit. Surprisingly, once I'd figured out how to seal it properly, it was perfectly comfortable. It may have been skintight moulded plastic, but whatever it was lined with was soft and well padded. That, and I couldn't help but stare at myself in the mirror.
I was, strangely, more comfortable with myself wearing a body hugging thermoplastic suit than a bra and panties.
Right until the Doctor lead me out of her office.
The suit squeaked and creaked like new leather with every step I took, following the white coated woman to the cages and my EVA. As much as I was finding the plugsuit physically comfortable, it left me with a strange, almost paranoid feeling that I was being watched. I could feel every set of eyes I passed directed down at me, at my body. It didn't help that most of those leering eyes were at least twice my age, glistening orbs of perversion studying every inch of my figure.
At least it was a short journey.
Doctor Akagi slid her I.D. card through a door ominously marked
AUTHOURISED PERSONNEL ONLY. VIOLATORS SUBJECT TO Y20,000,000 FINE OR INDEFINITE IMPRISONMENT OR BOTH.
Something about that sent a chill down my spine. I was stepping on forbidden ground.
But, at least it was just back to Ritsuko and me, and a short empty passage to what looked like a lift, the designation R-20 emblazoned on it in red paint. A sterile white inside, like so many others, a small mechanical counter ticking through the floors. I never knew how long some of the lift rides in NERV actually could be.
Doctor Akagi was more interested with her notes on her clipboard then me.
I idly poked at what looked like a USB connector moulded into my shoulder, wondering perhaps what it could be for. It was marked with a white printed 'MED'. 'Medical' perhaps? Could it be some way of downloading my vital signs. Pinching it, I could feel some thin strands of wiring running from it, towards the small pack on my back, studded with sockets of different sorts.
On my waist, a pair of what looked like stainless steel plumbing fixtures jutted forward. I could see my reflection distorted on the machined metal, tinted gold somewhat. Prodding the shaped steel, I could feel it coldly pressing against my stomach. I wondered perhaps if I stuck my finger through one of them would I be able to feel my own skin, but that was interrupted by the hollow rumble of the doors splitting open.
A draught of industrial air washed over me, heavy with the smell of oil, ozone and something that, for the life of me, I couldn't place. I could taste it on my tongue, running down the back of my throat. It was a strong salty tingle, kind of like slightly unfresh fish.
"Follow me."
I stepped out into some great cavernous chamber that, for a moment could have been any other in the vast complex that was NERV HQ. Then, I noticed a black painted wall opposite me, seemingly out of place on the concrete floor.
Ritsuko merely directed my attention upwards.
"Sweet Jesus!"
My small voice seemed as if it was swallowed by the monster towering above me. A black armoured giant, polished armour plating shining beneath the harsh white light of gantry suspended spotlights, loomed over me. Sleek and clean, like some multi-story metal athlete it seemed almost to carry on forever, the distant ceiling lost in the haze of tungsten arc lights. I'd seen the Evangelion onscreen, and even a few pictures, but the difference between a photograph of an EVA and the actual EVA was like the difference between a Honda Cub and a Honda Fireblade.
And I was supposed to pilot that thing?
There was something so utterly terrifying about the size of the mech, and the sheer scale of the power it must hold, that I didn't even realise I'd been led to another lift until I felt it take off moving.
As meters of the mech flashed past the true reality of my situation was beginning to take hold, the King rat slowly crawling his way up my back to have his fill of my psyche as I neared the entry plug of the EVA. I fidget as I stood, the rodent digging his claws into my spine before resting his weight on my shoulder.
There were so many ways this could fail. Each one having terrible consequences for me.
I was shaking, struggling to force myself to walk as I was again led out onto the umbilical bridge to the white cylinder, mounted on a cradle before me.
"Just sit inside, and we'll do the rest for this test." Ritsuko said, trying to be reassuring.
"Okay." I squeaked, almost like a mouse.
"It will be alright." she said.
As the hatch of the entry plug finally slid home, I was left sitting in the cradle like cockpit, alone, my breath ringing off the steel walls of what could quickly become my coffin. I was connected to the machine, held fast in that seat by the plumbing on my stomach, and the electronics on my back.
In front of me, the Unit's dedication plaque read:
EVANGELION
UNIT 03
NERV MASSACHUSSETS
UNITED STATES
"And the lights all went out in Massachusetts…." I mumbled nervously, tunelessly, the walls of my claustrophobic cockpit closing in around me.
There were so many painful ways this could fail, and I was painfully aware of each one of them. EVA could just say 'no', and reject the connections, leaving me useless as a Pilot. Or, it could go berserker like Zero did on Rei and mangle my body, sending me straight back to the hospital. Add to that the fact it could just decide to fry my brain and leave me with my own toy doll to play with. Finally, there was Bardiel.
The Thirteenth Angel.
An insidious monster that, that very moment, could be slumbering below me ready to cripple me, or worse.
I could feel it move, each heart wrenching jerk, each long hollow creak a candidate for the angels attack. King's rat whispered soul crushing possibilities in my ear. Would it just be some sudden thunderclap that knocks me into blissful unconsciousness, before I wake up in a hospital bed, or at home, or not all? Or, terrifyingly, would I have to live through each excruciating moment of the attack, staring at the steel wall above me, just waiting for it to cave in and crush the life from my body?
Flying towards inevitability like a burning jet…
"Gah!"
I shook my head, stopping myself before I could get any further. If I kept chasing my own mental tail like that, chances are I'd fry my brain by myself, with no help from Bardiel and friends.
After what seemed like forever the plug rotated around me as it descended into Unit 03's spine, creaking loudly as it came to a halt.
No going back now, I thought.
"We're about to fill your plug with LCL." The digitised voice of Doctor Akagi blasted harshly from a speaker in the headrest beside my ear.
I could've jumped and hit the ceiling above me, if I hadn't been held down. Christ she'd nearly given me a heart attack.
"Don't worry, it's perfectly breathable. Once your lungs are filled with LCL your blood will be oxygenated directly."
I heard it begin to burble in far beneath me, the orange liquid, rising rapidly up, creeping around the cockpit assembly in front of me. Running up my legs, it was warm, quickly soaking through to my bones.
"It's breathable." I said. "Perfectly breathable."
That worked right up until the point where the foul smelling liquid crept inexorably past my neck.
Gasped, panicked breaths heaved great gulps of air into my lungs, my rapid respiration ringing in his helmet. Rapidly, I searched for some escape, scanning the plug for any form of escape hatch or dump valve.
One last breath, I was sure it would be the last, and the foul fluid closed in around me, covering my head. My lungs burned for just one more breath, a distant voice reassuring me that the liquid was breathable drowned by the hammering of my panicked heart against my chest.
I swallowed my breath, forcing it back down, desperate to hold on to it.
But I couldn't.
Instinct overrode my conscious mind, my body dumping the wasted breath, bubbling up in the fluid. I gasped for fresh air, my lungs flooding with the orange liquid instead. Instantly, my body rejected the liquid, coughing, retching, painfully trying to expel the fluid from my lungs.
Another desperate gasp for air, another cough, and the lizard brain finally resigned itself to death.
To my lasting surprise though, I felt myself breathing normally. Rapidly, still panicking and gasping, but not drowning. It was an odd, disconcerting feeling, the fluid flowing through my lungs, trickling up and down my throat with every breath, gurgling musically into my stomach.
It tasted of warm blood, like a raw steak that had been left in the sun for a bit too long.
"I feel sick," I groaned.
"Do not vomit," the doctor warned. "If you vomit it could kill you."
I wasn't going to argue.
I took another deep breath, and gripped the two control throttles tightly, gently fingering the two thumbpads built into them. I remember thinking that they felt very plasticky and loose, like the switches my mother's old Fiat Panda almost.
Lord how I'd hated that thing.
At that moment though, I'd have been lying if I said I didn't long for that wheezy old bucket again.
"Alright Noriko." Akagi interrupted my musings. "We're about to begin on this end. Remember, the EVA is highly sensitive to your emotional state. It is imperative that you remain as calm as possible."
Oh fine, that'll be easy for me now. I was about as calm and collected as Excel after a few too many cans of Red Bull.
"Roger." I answered, my hands quivering on the throttles.
"Good. Configure language logic interface for English."
Something inside the cockpit beeped, the five display panels coming to life, displaying only a sky blue.
"Charging LCL."
The liquid flashed crystal clear. It was the last thing I saw before I wedged my eyes shut, bracing myself, silently praying that Bardiel would stay away.
"First stage connection complete, one through twenty-seven. Opening Second stage circuits."
I began to feel a gentle pressure at the back of my skull, and electric tingle fingering its way into the back of my mind.
"Second stage connection complete and stable, twenty eight through sixty-nine. Pilot vitals within acceptable limits. Opening final third stage."
That tingle spread to my entire body, prickling like a static charge across my skin.
"Safety interlocks released, no anomalies detected, approaching Absolute Borderline in…
Point oh-three…."
My mind raced as the final countdown began. The borderline was where the Angel began its attack, I remembered that clearly. That and Unit 01's armoured hand clenching around the entry plug; Shinji's final scream. My death was seconds away now possibly.
"Point oh-two…."
There was an electric power flowing through my body now, a current of energy running in my veins. A pressure was building in the back of my head, not unlike the beginnings of a headache. The Angel? Could it be?
"Point oh-one…."
Oh Holy fuck here it comes. Just please be quick. Just please don't hurt me.
"Absolute borderline."
A surge of energy punched into the back of my skull, a torrent of sensation invading my consciousness. The rat finally bit and in an instant, I was sure that it was Bardiel, that he had come to attack me and that within a few heartbeats the life would be crushed from my body.
An instant of absolute terror and I lashed back, yelping in fear as a buried my head protectively in my hands. There was a sudden blare of an alarm. Momentarily, I was reminded of Red alert siren from Star Trek. It was that same repeating alarm, announcing the finality of my fate with its terrifyingly shrill tones.
I quivered in fear, shivering as I tried to brace myself.
A few distant metallic groans resonated through the metal plug, ringing in my ears. Each one was amplified by my mind to be Unit 03, liberating itself from its concrete cage in spectacular fashion, each rattle a wild thrash for freedom. Static hissed through the speakers beside my ear, dead air only, since most of those nearby were probably dead anyway.
Who's to say maybe the EVA's hadn't been destroyed as well?
That Bardiel wasn't just calmly making his way down to Terminal Dogma right now to start Third Impact and kill everyone in an ending to my life that would make Tomino proud.
"Noriko," A voice tried to break the wall of my terror. "Noriko, what happened?"
Blinking, I raised my head a looked around. Still terrified, still shaking like a leaf, I noticed something flashing on all five display panels around me. All five panels were a flat blue except for one message:
ERROR:: 634 SYSTEMFAILABORT(0x236567, 0x367EF5, 0xFBA290, 0xFF0000)PSYCHPULSEREVERSEFLOW
Okay, what did that mean?
"Error." I blurted out.
The Doctor didn't sound too concerned. There were no dying screams ringing out across the radio. I could hear nothing now except the distant murmur of an electric motor, humming away behind me. I could feel nothing except my own body, my light weight acting against the seat.
Finally, the pieces just fell into place.
Bardiel hadn't attacked.
"Oh thank you," I exhaled a long sigh, blowing bubbles in the LCL.
"Are you alright?" Akagi asked.
"Em… Yeah," I answered.
"How are you feeling?"
To me, it seemed the strangest question to ask.
"Fine," I responded weakly.
"Are you sure?" the digital voice pushed, "The EVA can be very sensitive to its pilot's emotional state. You must remain calm or the safety systems will trip and the EVA will shut down."
Safety systems?
And what about Bardiel? I'd felt something come at me, I didn't know what. How could I be sure that this little glitch hadn't just bought me a few moments time, that some higher power wasn't playing with me the same way some sadistic kid would with play a butterfly right before he ripped its wings off.
How could I be calm?
How could I venture the possibility of Bardiels existence and encourage them to maybe inspect the EVA? How could I say it, without drawing suspicion to myself? Instead of being crushed to death, I'd find myself locked in some dark oubliette, interrogated for every possible ounce of information about the Angels, Third Impact and Seele.
"We're about ready to try again," Akagi's voice interrupted, thankfully.
"Um…"
I had to say something.
"I felt something, in the EVA." I said, my voice still quivering.
"That is the Personality type O.S." the abrupt answer came back. "It is necessary for synchronisation."
No help there then.
"Just relax back. Focus you're mind only on my voice and your breathing, nothing else. Clear your mind of all extraneous thoughts."
Easier said than done. She wasn't the one sitting on top of a monster. But still, it was better than the alternative.
"Take a long, deep breath," Ritsuko instructed. "Hold it, one…two…three, then exhale slowly."
Well it's better than nothing I suppose, I thought, trying to follow her instructions. I didn't nod, or answer, or anything, I just closed my eyes again, and tried to focus on my breathing, anything other than the menace lurking beneath me.
"Opening first stage connections."
Okay, in through the nose, hold…two…three…, out through the mouth. Just hold it together.
"First stage connection complete, one through twenty-seven. Opening Second stage circuits."
I could feel that same tingle beneath the A10 clips, a distant energy insinuating itself into my awareness.
"Second stage connection complete and stable, twenty eight through sixty-nine. Pilot vitals within acceptable limits. Opening final third stage."
Again, in two…three…out. I could feel the LCL flowing trough my lungs, circulating gently against my skin. The tingle flooded my body, as my thoughts began to drift away back to Bardiel.
"Safety interlocks released, minor pulse fluctuations detected. Fluctuations within system tolerance. Approaching Absolute Borderline in…
Point oh-three…."
In through the mouth. Don't think of the Angel. Don't think of EVA. Don't think about anything but breathing. Easier said than done. Hold it…
"Point oh-two…"
…two…three. Still terrified, still shaking, my hands rattled the throttles. I could sense that same presence rising to meet me, slowly fingering it's way up into the belly of my conscious mind. It didn't feel malevolent.
"Point oh-one…"
Whatever it was, it was coming, pushing its way into my awareness, electric sensations racing through my body, a heavy weight bearing down on my shoulders. It was the borderline. It was the Angel. It was the EVA. For a brief instant in my mind, it was anything that could harm me. Fractions of a second dragged to an eternity as I waited for the borderline.
Any second now…
Brace…
Exhale.
"Borderline."
A rush of sheer power and my body spasmed. I gasped for another breath, a flood of sensation racking my body. My conscious mind reeled trying to make sense of it all. Again, for a terrifying moment, I was sure it was Bardiel
And then, a strange, soothing calm.
I couldn't explain it. I was sure I should have been terrified, but, somehow, all my fears had disappeared, washed away by the flood of synchronisation. Cautiously, I cracked open my eyes, to be met by a view of the cage wall.
"Unit 03 approaching full power. Pilot synchronisation stable."
Okay…
I blinked again.
Then allowed myself a relived chuckle, before resting back into my chair. Looking to my right, over the black armoured shoulder of the Evangelion, I could see the control room, and a few dark silhouettes within.
I could feel the weight of the Evangelion, at least, that's what I guessed it was, hanging from my body. I could sense the cage locks, pulling on my arms and legs, a distant ethereal sensation. Like smoke, the more I tried to grab at it with my mind, the faster it just slipped through the fingers of my awareness.
A torrent of information roared through my mind, a headache already building in the back of my skull beneath the overload.
Lurking beneath the flood, I could still sense that presence, curiously probing at myself.
A single, clear thought entered my mind.
'Who are you?'
"Noriko." Akagi's voice interrupted again.
On the display to my right, a new window was open, framing the face of the blonde doctor.
Control; "How are you feeling?" she asked again
"Fine," I responded. "I have a slight headache."
Control; "Good, we just need to adjust your operator interface. We're using a generic one right now, so it's not perfect. Once we adapt the EVA to your own psych patterns, it should get a lot easier."
"I understand."
I didn't really, but I wasn't to concerned.
I was doing it, I was actually synchronising with the Evangelion.
On the five display panels around me, I could see her adjustments being made. I didn't understand most of what she was doing, I just took the time to appreciate the view from thirty stories up, even if it was just of a concrete cage wall.
Control; "We've completed the test Noriko, prepare for shutdown."
Huh?
How long had it been?
According to a small digital watch built into the cuff of my suit, it had been over an hour since the test had begun.
Strange.
"Roger."
The interface went dark as the plug jerked backwards. I felt momentarily dizzy as the nerve connections were severed abruptly, the weight of the EVA falling away like tender meat from a bone.. The plug jerked to a sudden stop and the LCL began to drain out beneath me.
The fluid dropped past my head, and I gasped for fresh air.
Immediately I felt sick, the LCL rising from my stomach. I tried to swallow it, but couldn't hold the fluid down. I threw it up across the cockpit, the blood tasting fluid splashing across my lap. I tried for another breath, before coughing and retching painfully, my body rejecting the vile fluid.
As the plug hatch slid back, I was still hacking up the last dregs of LCL.
Terrified of slipping from the armour, I crawled across the shoulder of Unit 03, my wet body still sliding. The last thing I wanted was to fall to my death ignominiously after one of my greatest fears had been proven to be unfounded. A sudden rapid rush of cold air before a final bone cracking thud, it would've been the perfect Gainax ending.
I'd never been so glad to set foot on cold steel floors as I was when I stepped off that armour.
Shortly afterwards, I was met by the good doctor, carrying her clipboard. By then, I was buzzing almost, excited that I'd actually synchronised with an EVA, and that I hadn't died in the process.
"How'd I do Doctor?" I beamed.
It had felt good. I couldn't have failed, or gotten a low result, it just didn't feel possible for that to happen. They way I'd felt in that entry plug, the sheer power of the sensations I'd experienced, it didn't seem possible that I could get a low score.
She checked her notes, will I practically danced impatiently, waiting for her to confirm what I knew.
"You recorded a peak stable synchronisation ratio of fifteen percent. It's not high enough to Pilot in combat."
"Oh…"
The wind dropped from my sails. Naively, I'd been expecting something near thirty or forty, secretly hoping for a ninety. Did that mean they were just going to dump me then?
"It's not necessary to have a high ratio at this stage, it will rise with training," she continued "The purpose of the test was just to activate the Evangelion, and in that respect, it was a success. Congratulations."
I grinned.
"Thank You!" I announced, restraining myself from just glomping her. Somehow, I didn't think she'd appreciate it, since I was still dripping wet with orange LCL.
"Your training program, as well as your clothes and NERV issue equipment have been left for you in your locker in the changing rooms. Any questions?"
I fingered a few sticky strands of black hair, slowly sticking to my scalp as the LCL dried to a sticky mass of blood smelling glue.
"Can I shower this off please?"
It might sound stupid, but at that moment, it was just about the only thing I could think of
"Of course. Captain Katsuragi will be waiting for you when you're finished. I'll see you Noriko tomorrow morning for the start of your training."
"Thanks Doctor." I said as I left for the locker room.
It would've helped if I'd known where the locker room was. I couldn't ask for directions, since I didn't speak the language, and most of the bilingual signs were about as helpful as a raincoat against Noah's flood. All the while, I stumbled bewildered through corridors, looking and smelling like a rat that had drowned at a slaughterhouse.
Eventually, I found it, another door grey door, unremarkable except for a small brass plate marked
FEMALE PILOTS AND PERSONNEL WITH C-GRADE ACCESS CLEARENCE ONLY.
Another white painted room, the smell of disinfectant inside so strong it made my eyes water. There were lockers for maybe ten people lined along two walls. Mine was open and waiting for me, a few sets of clothes lying inside waiting for me, but somehow, I didn't feel like changing just yet. It had taken so long to find, that the excitement of a successful test had begun to wane. To be honest, I wasn't even sure it was the detergent that was making my eyes water.
The isolated silence of the room just left me feeling strangely lonely.
I was quickly growing to hate those private moments. Without the excitement and mental diversion of a day's activity, the reality of my situation had a chance to catch up with me.
I was a pilot now.
I should have been excited, and lord knows I wanted to be, but I just couldn't.
Laying back on the wooden bench in the centre of the room, I looked up at the ceiling above me, at the clean pipework crossing the white tiles. I couldn't help but wonder what happened next.
My greatest fear had been that I'd be crushed by Bardiel, but that seemed unlikely now.
That meant I was probably here for the long haul, stuck here in the world of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Hauling myself to my feet, I decided it would be best if I cleaned and dressed myself before anybody else arrived, or before my train of thought had gotten too far down that track.
In my locker, there were NERV issue towels, what looked like a swimsuit and T-shirt that made up my training gear, a spare plugsuit in its bag, a door length mirror and finally, the clothes I'd worn on my way here, neatly pressed and folded on a shelf. Also present, was a jacket of the same basic design as Misato's, but coloured yellow to match my plugsuit.
That false-leather jacket would quickly become my most prized possession.
But I had to wash the drying liquid off my body first, before the smell made me sick.
I was glad I was on my own when I stepped, now naked, into the shower area. Again, there were ten separate shower heads, with no curtains or partitions between them. A solitary shower spared my blushes, thought the paint stripper that passed for shampoo ensured that my skin was still a hot red all over.
And I could still smell that bloody LCL.
Afterwards though, I didn't look forward to sharing that room with anyone, especially since I'd forgotten to bring a towel with me.
Hence, the reason why I baulked seeing another person calmly undressing themselves in front of their locker, and why I nearly retreated back to relative privacy of the warm showers, when she turned her red eyes to my dripping wet, cold naked body.
Ayanami Rei was standing in front of me, as naked as I was, her plugsuit waiting on the wooden bench.
She quickly returned her attention to shuffling into her own white suit but I found something about the first child absolutely fascinating.
She was so different from a normal person, or from what I possibly could've expected.
I'd seen many blue cosplay wigs as well as a few excellent dye jobs, but this was neither. Like everything I suppose, the difference between the real Rei and a cosplayer was obvious. With dye, or with a wig, you could always see the roots but or the base of the wig. Rei's hair was a pure clean shimmering blue.
And yet, her skin was a perfect pale alabaster, looking almost like it had been painted by an animator. There were no spots, marks or scars anywhere on her tightly formed body, not even a single stray hair.
And then I forced myself again to stare at the floor, blushing pink.
If Rei, or anyone else for that matter, caught me staring, it could make things…difficult. Although I doubted they'd break out the torches and pitchforks, if I was ever discovered, I could be sure only a violent end would follow.
"Nagato Noriko," I eventually blurted an introduction into my feet, reaching deeply into the Japanese Misato had taught me. "Good Afternoon."
"Ayanami Rei," she answered not even looking up at me.
That was the sum total of my first conversation with the Pilot of Unit 00.
I thought if I focused myself, I'd be able to avoid staring at her. I would dry myself, dress myself and leave without ever looking over at the pale skinned girl behind me. It was a great testament to my powers of concentration that Rei had left before I'd even finished putting my underwear on.
If I'd been left to myself, I might've been able to dress myself in maybe ten minutes, as it was; fate in the form of another new arrival had different ideas.
"Hey fourth child," Asuka announced her presence in her own unique manner.
Shame sent me hiding behind my locker door, hiding my still half undressed body from view. A chill ran up my spine as she passed behind me, my pressed steel cover quickly rendered ineffective by her flanking manoeuvre.
"Hey." I muttered, more concerned with the troublesome plastic clasps behind my back. Getting everything to slot properly into place, then holding everything inside while I clasped both halves of the brassiere together was proving as difficult as usual..
"Well…"
She stood there, hands on her hips, staring at me as she was waiting for something.
"What?..."
Already, I was beginning to question the safety, and perhaps sanity of having Asuka as a friend.
"Your activation test Fourth Child," she said. "How did it go?"
Oh…
I shrunk down immediately, breaking eye contact. I didn't want to tell her the result. If she'd offered to be my friend, she had to have some small amount of respect for me, and the last thing I wanted to do was destroy that.
"Well, come on. I have my own synchronisation test to get to y'know."
"Fifteen percent," I finally answered.
I braced myself.
"Hah!" the German snorted. "The penguin could score more than that. You'll have to double that if you want to fight in combat."
She started to unbutton her school uniform, while I made sure to bury my eyes into my own locker.
"It was my first time," I tried to explain. "And I was afraid,"
To say 'I was afraid' was putting it mildly.
"It's only a machine, what's to be afraid of?"
"It's a forty story machine, with a history of running out of control." I deadpanned.
"Ack…whatever," she dismissed the subject with a bat of her hand. "And you're doing that wrong."
"What wrong?"
"What are you, stupid? Your bra of course, you're putting it on wrong."
Following my usual pattern, I squeaked and gave a soft pink blush.
"Watch me," Asuka directed, her tone leaving me no other options. "You're supposed to go under your arms like this, "she reached back behind her, almost as if she was giving herself a half nelson, and gently grabbed her own undergarment. "Not go over the top of your own head."
I wrestled with my conscience for a moment, before deciding it would be okay as long as I focused only on her hands, and nothing else. Asuka unclipped her own, then re-clipped it with practiced hands.
"See, easy, isn't it? Now you try."
At least I could take a small comfort from the fact that this wasn't the most embarrassing thing to happen to me all day. That, and the Second Child's advice actually worked, though she was halfway into her plugsuit by the time it did. As much practice as I was getting, it was still very much up to chance that I'd manage to get the cotton garment to stay in place long enough to hook it together.
"Thanks," I smiled.
"No problem," she dismissed it. "Though I'd have to wonder how you'd forget to do something as simple as putting a bra on, even if you had brain damage."
"I don't know," I answered before I could catch myself.
Asuka growled.
"So what do you remember then?"
I thought about it for a moment, even though the answer was obvious to me already. I wondered if I shouldn't just make something up, just to smooth things over with the redhead before she got too frustrated with me. She had offered friendship, and the last thing I wanted to do was wreck any chance of that, or to end up having Asuka as an enemy.
Unfortunately, I couldn't even think of anything remotely believable beyond 'I hated my father'.
"Nothing, except the crash." I responded.
"So you don't remember your parents?" she pushed.
"No,"
To me though, that still felt like a lie
"Your school?"
"No."
"Your friends?"
Did Asuka count?
"No,"
"Even if you're still a virgin or not?"
Eep…
I crossed my legs at the mere thought of that, searching for somewhere to hide from the Second Child's interrogation, or even just a way to throw her off. It was also a mildly disturbing thought that maybe I mightn't be as pure as I hoped.
"No," I said again, "But…em… I think Doctor Akagi would be able to answer that, if you really wanted to know."
"What?" Asuka blinked. "How could she possibly know?"
Seeing the flash of confusion on her face emboldened me somewhat. That was probably the only reason I was able to answer that question the way I did
"She gave me my physical exam earlier," I shuddered. "She was very….thorough about it."
To illustrate the point, I wiggled my index finger menacingly.
I watched as the implications found a nice place to nestle in her mind, her expression slowly changing from mild confusion, to one of mild disgust quickly turning to all out nausea as the full impact of my words hit her.
"I know what you mean," The Second Child groaned. "With her cold fingers and the way she makes you lie on that table, it's like a torture chamber."
It was like great weight dropped from my shoulders as I tried to decide whether I was about to get sick, or just burst out laughing. There was nothing like a shared psychological trauma to break the ice.
"It was horrible," I managed to get out. "I think she did it on purpose, just to make me squirm."
"Welcome to Japan Fourth Child," Asuka grinned. "An entire country run by a bunch of sexually repressed perverts. Have you seen some of the stuff that's on television here, or what they sell over the shelves in comic book shops?"
It was at that very moment that she pressurized her plugsuit, the red plastic suit moulding perfectly to her figure before my eyes. And yes, I had very much seen some of the things they had on television in Japan, and I had very much enjoyed what they sold over the shelves, fansubbed and scanlated of course.
"That's not to mention what passes for a school uniform here, especially our gym wear. They call them bloomers, but I…"
Asuka's miniature rant was interrupted by hum of the door opening behind me, and another angry voice that sent chills down my spine.
"Speak of the devil," I muttered privately.
Whatever Doctor Akagi wanted now, it seemed to have something to do with Asuka.
"Hai, Hai," The Pilot of Unit 02 relented to the doctor's demand. "Duty calls." She said to me.
"Enjoy," I called after her.
"Of course I will." She said with a flourish. "Just remember what your Unit 03 felt like when you synchronised, then try and imagine what a real Evangelion might be like."
"I will!"
The door closed, and again, I was left again on my own. This time though, I felt much better. While I still had no idea why Asuka would decide to offer me friendship, perhaps it was just the same way she'd offered to be good friends with Rei in Episode nine, or she'd just taken pity on me, I knew better than to look a gift horse in the mouth.
She could definitely be more helpful than Misato when it came to 'certain' areas where I lacked 'certain' skills, for want of a better way to put it. And it'd be better than being in a corner on my own for however long I was going to be stuck here
Slipping into my new yellow jacket, enjoying the sweet smell of the fresh vinyl for a moment, I looked at myself in the mirror. It was strange, but somehow, with the jacket, I could almost look like a younger version of Misato, except for having longer, darker hair.
As I finally left the changing room, my mood couldn't have been more different to when I'd first arrived at NERV headquarters, or even half an hour earlier after I'd finished my activation test.
Right then, I was optimistic, about the near future at least. In the short term, I was looking forward to starting my training, and perhaps trying to develop a friendship with Asuka. The long term wasn't worth worrying about yet. After how flustered Bardiel had gotten me, I didn't want Third Impact hanging over my head for the next few months, or however long away it was.
Five days into my life as Noriko, I was beginning to think that maybe I might be able to get myself settled into a comfortable position here.
I…I
Thank you to Arkiel and Jabberwok for their assistance working on this. Also Himonky, JCMoorehead, a few people at spacebattles who commented.
 
A few edits to confirm Noriko's background. Nothing major. God this feels old when reading it. I did it in late 2006… it is now mid 2010. That's a hell of a gap … for Noriko, those 4 years were about 5 weeks. Gunbuster effect?
Noriko's name is based on Noriko Takaya of Gunbuster, coupled with the Imperial Battleship Nagato. Haruhi Suzimiyah animé didn't exist when I chose the name, back when the original version of the story was typed out.
Also, concatenated the first 3 original parts into one longer part. Reads better.
-Dartz