Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 22 ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together




Shinji had just made it back to his apartment. It didn't take him long, for the NERV entrance he used was only a block a way from their building.

Once he opened his door, he ran straight in and didn't even bother to kick off his shoes. There was something he wanted.... no something he needed in there. Something so important to Rei, she was named after it. The third child ran into the bedroom and ran toward the hospital cart that held that one special beaker.

Panting for air to soothe his aching lungs, he just stared at it. He knew that what he intended to do was wrong. Very wrong. It was going to hurt Rei. When he moved in with her all those months ago, this was the only thing that was clean. She took care of it with kid gloves. And during all this time he had never touched it. He wasn't allowed. It was her most precious possession..... Her soul.

He closed his eyes in guilt, and slowly shook his head. "I'm sorry, Rei-chan... but I can't let you leave me."

When he opened his dark blue eyes, he took a deep breath to calm his trepidation, and to stop his hands from shaking, The third child then proceeded with his plan. With only slight hesitation, he reached and pulled the cylinder tube out of its slot Then with the utmost caution, he bent down and got the cork she used to keep her soul from spilling out whenever she traveled.

Shinji was still stuffing the cork into the tube when Touji yelled

"What are you doing?"

The third child dropped, then quickly caught the first child's most cherished item in the whole world. "Geez Suzuhara! You scared the crap out of me!" He quickly checked to see if the cork loosened, or if any of her soul spilt out.

"Sorry." Touji quirked a brow as he watched his friend make a fuss over a glass beaker, filled with what looked like water. "What do you have in your hands?"

Shinji looked at his friend, then at the tube in his hand. He knew that couldn't tell him what it was, so he lied. "Uhh... it's... uhhh .. It's Rei-chan's medicine."

"You're taking her medicine?!" Touji yelled in a clearly disappointed tone. He shook his head in disgust. "You should be ashamed of yourself!"

Shinji looked away from his friends and admitted "I am... but what else can I do? She's going to leave me!"

"I don't know!" Touji yelled as he wildly gestured his arms around. "Ask her to marry you, but don't take her medicine!"

Shinji's head whipped back towards his friend, and a big @$$ grin graced his lips. "Touji, you're a genius!" The third child ran to the dresser and got his wallet. With her soul safely in his grasp, he counted his remaining cash. "I have a little more than $2,000 left... that should be enough to get her a nice ring."

"Woaha!" Suzuhara was complete shocked. "Where the hell did you get that much money?!"

The pilot didn't want to admit that his Rei-chan extorted the money from a Mr. Yakomoto, so he said a half truth. "Rei-chan gave it to me for services rendered." He smirked when he saw his friends reaction. He knew that Touji had his mind in the gutter.

The fourth child teased. "Shinji-bigalo male gigolo!!"

Shinji just shook his head, but he didn't deny it. He knew his friend would really pick on him if he knew it was for doing the laundry. Then again. "It's not even like that! Rei-chan gave it to me for doing her laundry every week!"

"Whatever!" Touji had his mind set. The truth was not going to sway him from what he wanted to believe. Which was, Rei paid Shinji to have sex.

Shinji sighed and quickly made his way for the door.

"Where are we going now?" Touji voiced sounded a little disappointed that they were leaving again. Especially since the third was prone to running a super sonic speeds for what seems to be no reason at all.

"I got to run to a jewelry store, so I can get Rei-chan an engagement ring. I'm going to ask her to marry me!" Shinji bolted out the door.

Touji tilted his head back, looked at the ceiling and groaned "Here we go again!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Rei arrived at NERV, she went straight to her office. She needed to work on something... anything. She was about two seconds from crying, and she needed to get out of the public eye. Seeing Shinji on the street hurt her more than she realized it would. In her eyes, he didn't even look like he cared that he hurt her. Or that heartache she was now going through was killing her from the inside out.

<he didn't even smile at me... jerk.. > As she closed her office door behind her, she started to cry. "He just stood there and stared ... ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the commander walked toward his own office, he appeared to be deep in thought.

Kozo walked beside him and took note of his friend's disposition. "Gendo, what's bothering you?"

Ikari glanced at his friend and smirked. His friend knew him too well. "Rei and Shinji won't be able to have children."

"Yes." The 2nd commander nodded "We knew that already. Rei doesn't have a uterus or ovaries."

The commander nodded and walked into his office. After he made himself comfortable in his chair, he admitted "I never thought about the fact that she not being able to have kids would affect me."

Kozo didn't respond; he just waited for his friend to finish his confession.

"As it concerns my family, I honestly never thought passed the third impact. We should have been one with our families by now."

Fuyutsuki nodded. He understood completely why Gendo believed in the third impact, for he believed in it too. Just like the commander, he wanted to be reunited with his family. They were killed by SEELE a few months before unit 01 took Yui. That was why Gendo went to such lengths to keep Shinji hidden, and as far away from him as possible. Their families were targets for revenge.

Gendo continued. "However, now that things have changed.... I was *not* expecting my two *children* to become *romantically involved*. This would have never happened if Shinji had moved in with me when he came back, and Rei didn't move out."

<yes it would of... they would have been sneaking behind your back, and you know it!> Kozo tried not to allow his eyes to betray his thoughts.

But he failed miserably. The commander chuckled then grimaced in pain, because of his ribs. "Perhaps you're right.... I just wasn't ready for this realization. Just as I wasn't ready for Rei to start dating in the first place. In my eyes she's still ...*Little Rei.*"

The professor laughed. He couldn't help himself. He knew that the commander still felt that way about the first child; he just never expected him to admit it.

The commander's brow furrowed. "The thought of not having a legacy in unacceptable. I did not build an empire, to have no heir to inherit it once my children have died."

Kozo quirked a brow. "I hope your not doing going to do what I think you're going to do."

Gendo clasped his hands together and smirked.

Fuyutsuki shook his head. "Do you know how hurt Rei is going to be once she finds out?"

"It's not about her. It's about *my* legacy and to secure that, Shinji must have a child."

<poor Rei> Fuyutsuki nodded, respectfully bowed and left the commanders office.

****************************

Shinji had just arrived at the finest jewelry store in Toyko-3. It was located on the nicer side of town. He was completely drenched in sweat. It was a long run and a hot day.

"May I help you?" Asked a nicely dressed man in a very rude tone. He was standing behind the door of the jewelry store.

Because this was the finest store in Toyko-3, and because there were millions of dollars worth of rare jewels inside it, the doors always remained locked. A customer had to be buzzed in to enter.

Shinji glared at the man, then calmed down, and panted out. "Yes please... I would like to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend."

"Maybe you will find what you're looking for at one of the other jewelry stores" the man said snidely.

Now that pissed off the already pissed off pilot. He did not run clear across town, on an extremely hot day, to try and save his relationship to be turned away. "If you don't buzz me in that f*cking door, I swear I'm going come back here and crush this place under the foot of my EVA!!"

The man's eyes became as wide as saucers, and he quickly buzzed in the third child. Right after Shinji walked in, the fourth child arrived at the locked door. He was out of breath and dripping in sweat as well.

The three people that worked there didn't want to buzz him in, but Shinji gave them a warning glare, and they quickly complied.

The third child was in to much distress with his own problems to try and make them comply with his request to enter, in his usual meek and polite ways. <no wonder my dad's such a bastard... sometimes you have to be just to get things done.>

Touji growled his question to Shinji, as he walked into the store. "Why the hell did they make me wait so long before they buzzed me in?"

Shinji shrugged his shoulders and started looking into all of the jewelry cases for a ring that would be perfect for his Rei-chan.

For the mere fact that they didn't believe that either one of the two teens had enough money to buy anything in there, none of the employees would help the boys. And about the Eva crushing their store, they weren't sure if that kid was really a pilot, but they weren't taking any chances.

"How about that one?" Touji pointed to a heart shaped diamond solitaire.

Shinji looked at it and frowned. "I'm shopping for Rei, not Hikari remember."

"Did you say Rei...?" Asked the man who buzzed them in. "As in Rei Ayanami?"

Suzuhara glanced up at the man and answered in an irritated fashion. "Yeah. So?"

Once they heard Ms. Ayanami's name, all three of the men that worked in the store ran to help Shinji.

The man who buzzed them in quickly picked out a huge, gaudy, diamond ring. "This beautiful ring here, would look beautiful on Ms. Ayanami's delicate finger."

"Oh don't listen to him!" Said an older man who picked up another ring with a lot of semi-huge diamonds on it. "This one will compliment her tiny hand, and her gentle complexion."

"I must admit those are beautiful, but less is always more." Said the smallest man of the three. "This 4-karat diamond screams I love you!"

The young Ikari and Suzuhara raise their heads and their gaze to look at the three men who were now so intent on helping them. It was odd, because just moments before they didn't even want to buzz them into the store.

"Why the change of heart?" Touji asked snidely.

"Uhh..." the older man couldn't come up with an excuse before the fourth child interrupted.

"Spill it! Why are you helping us now?"

"It's because I mentioned Rei's name isn't it?" Shinji offered knowingly.

"Well she *is* the commander's adopted daughter." The man who buzzed them in confessed. "Of course I want to help you get the perfect ring for her." <and the commission alone should get me out of debt>

Both Shinji and Touji eyes tripled their size in shock.

"She's not his daughter." Shinji informed when his voice came back to him.

"I sure hope not." Suzuhara added. "Or that would be nasty!"

The third child's brow forked, and he turned and glared at his friend. "And how would that be nasty?" Shinji knew that even if what the man said happened to be true, it wouldn't matter to him. He loved her when he still believed that she was his half sister.

The fourth child gave him a dumbfounded expression "Duh... That would make you guys brother and sister!"

"Oh my gawd!" The third and smallest of the three men squealed. "You're Shinji Ikari?!"

Shinji backed away from the hyper man and reluctantly nodded.

The small man started to fan his face with his hand. "I should of known! I mean with your attitude, and you threatening to crush us with your Eva!" He then cupped his cheeks with his hands and squealed. "Shoot, you even look like the commander... I mean without the beard and all!!"

"I DO NOT LOOK LIKE THAT BASTARD!!!" That was as close as anyone could come to blasphemy in Shinji's eyes. Not that he was a god, but to him, there was no worse insult.

The small man's hand fluttered to his chest. "Sorry... I wasn't trying to insult you... I think your dad is a handsome man."

Shinji and Touji scrunched up their nose and curled their top lip in disgust.

Shinji turned his attention back to his friend and added. "Anyway Touji, we would only be related by law... so it doesn't count!" <I wouldn't care either way, anyway> The third child returned to his search for the perfect ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Hikari got home, her little sister informed her that Asuka had called when she left. The class rep was kind of upset with the second child for blowing her off when she needed her most. Especially since Rei took the time to listen to her problems, despite her own heartache. *And* she took her to NERV to help her out, despite the fact that she could have gotten into big trouble. But she called her best friend anyway.

"You called Asuka?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Uhh... yeah. I was feeling better, and I was going to let you know that you could tell me your problem now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh..." Hikari looked around. Her little sister was staring right into her face. "Well .. it's not something I can say over the phone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh!" Asuka was really curious now. "So do you want to come over? You can tell me here. Misato said she won't be home till late, so she won't be in our business."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can't, I got to make dinner." Hikari reluctantly admitted. "Anyway, It's all better now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh..." Asuka tried to hide her disappointment. She really didn't want to be unhappy that her friend was not sad anymore, but like the old saying says.. misery loves company. There was a silence for about 30 long seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Then Hikari said. "You'll never guess what happened!" She needed to get the conversation off herself. She knew that she could never tell Asuka what Rei did for her, because she would think she was a traitor. The second child would never forgive her for befriending Rei.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What?" The second child asked with mock interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rei.... uhhh... Ayanami broke up with Shinji!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT?!!!" That was the best news Asuka's heard since she found out that she was chosen as a pilot. "Ok give me all the details!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well...." Hikari now regretted that she told her friend because she knew and hoped that Shinji and Rei would make up. It *was* only their first breakup. "I don't really know all the details.. Shinji just said that Rei felt betrayed by something he did.... and broke up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second child's mind raced with what could possibly betray that f*cking doll. Then she remembered something. "I know what happened!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hikari raised her brow in surprise. "You do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah!" Asuka laughed despite the pain in her jaw. "Wonder girl must of seen me and Shinji hugging and acting all lovey dovey on the loading dock on Thursday!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"NANI?!!" Hikari couldn't believe her ears for the mere fact that .."Shinji was acting lovey dovey with you on Thursday?" He never acted lovey dovey with her in the two years they dated. So for him to go behind Rei's back and do it now was completely unbelievable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why did you say it like that?" Asuka could hear her friends disbelief. "Of course he did! I knew he wanted me back.. He tried to deny it, but I saw right through his act! And I guess so did Wonder girl! Why else would he hold me in his arms for almost an hour?...... blah blah blah...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Hikari listened to her friends jovial recap of Thursdays events, she raked her hand over her face. This was too unbelievable to hear, but she could tell by Asuka's voice that her friend wasn't lying. Asuka's confession was now making the class rep very upset at the stooge named Ikari <you bastard, how could you cheat on Rei!!... you know what Shinji, I hope you don't get her back!... she's too good for you!>

********************

"What time is it?" the third child asked Suzuhara.

"5:05" answered the man who buzzed them in.

"No_ it's 5:03" answered the old man.

"My watch says 5:07!" chimed the smallest man.

Touji and Shinji sighed in irritation. The three men had been acting like that ever since they found out the ring being purchased was for Rei.

*********************************

"Thank you." Fuyutsuki just hung up the phone. He laughed as he turned to his computer and started delving though his programs in search of a certain contract. "I told you Gendo, your words were going to bite you in the @$$!"

*********************

~click~

<oh hell no!> The commander had just hung up the phone with one of Shinji's body guards (gendo spies) . The commander just found out that Shinji was at jewelry store buying Rei an engagement ring ,of all things.

"This is completely unacceptable!" He clasped his hand together and narrowed his eyes as he thought of a plan to keep the inevitable from happening.

*********************************

"Ok... we've narrowed it down to two rings!" the older man said proudly. He was happy because it was he who picked out the rings, so that meant the commission would be his.

"Are you sure Rei would like this one?" Shinji pointed at the huge solitaires.

"Yes. I'm positive!" the old man assured. "All women love diamonds. The bigger the better!"

Shinji scratched his head in doubt. For some reason, he didn't think his Rei-chan really liked diamonds. They seemed to flashy for her. She didn't like things to stand out on her because she felt that among the rest of the inhabitants in the world, she already stood out with her pale skin, and odd color hair and red eyes.

Shinji looked around some more, then smirked at his cleverness. He found the perfect ring. Or should I say rings.

The fourth child leaned against the jewelry case and slid against it until he was sitting on the floor. He was tired. Touji had already lost interest in picking out a ring for Ayanami. Actually, Shinji had said he no longer needed his friend's help, because everything he picked out seemed to suit his Hikari-chan and not the first child. Touji leaned his head against the glass case and looked up at the wall. On the wall he noticed something familiar. "Hey Shinji,..."

The third child looked down at his friend who was sitting on the floor.

Touji pointed to a picture on the wall. "Doesn't that look like the necklace Rei wore last night?"

Shinji turned around and looked at the picture. "Yeah, it does!"

"It should" said the smallest man. "I made it specially for her."

Both boys quickly looked at the man.

"You didn't know?" the small man said proudly. "Commander Ikari is a regular here." He gestured to the 7 or 8 pictures on the wall. "He had all these made for his *daughter* They're all one of a kind."

The man who buzzed him in started to laughed as he pointed at the picture with a diamond ring. "That one right there... Woaha! *hehe*.. It caused so much scandal!"

Touji scrambled to his feet just as Shinji asked "How so?"

The man continued to laugh. "This woman .. I can't remember her name ...She actually thought that.. *hehe* that the commander was buying it as an engagement ring."

The boys eyes became as wide as saucers and Touji asked

"For Ayanami?"

"Ewww! No!" The old man retorted quickly and scrunched his nose in disgust. "Why would he want to marry his own daughter?!"

<then who?> Shinji mentally asked. He chided himself because of his reaction. He knew that his father wasn't romantic with his Rei-chan, but there *were* rumors at NERV's about those two. And her looking like his mom didn't help the matter any.

"Umm... some blond woman.." The small man informed. "I think she was a doctor or something."

"Dr. Akagi?!" Shinji yelled.

"Yes! That's the name!." the man who buzzed them in said in an excited tone. "Akagi... I knew it was something weird like that!"

Shinji forked his brow as he tried to understand. "Why in the world would Ritsuko think my father would buy her an engagement unless..." It finally dawned on him. "...They were lovers?"

"Oh wow!" Touji laughed. "Your dad was boning the doctor!!"

Shinji looked totally grossed out.

"I have to admit, she *is* a babe!" Suzuhara added.

Shinji looked even more grossed out.

Then the fourth child continued. "I bet they've even had sex at NERV!!" He laughed. "Probably in your Eva too!"

Shinji looked like he was going to through up.

Touji just laughed. He though that what he said was as funny as hell.

After about a minute the pilot of unit 01 calmed his churning stomach and declared "My father's a bastard, but he wouldn't do that in *my* Eva.. <probably Rei's ,...just to piss off Ritsuko's mothers soul, but he wouldn't disrespect mom like that..>

The stooge sighed out. "How do *you* know?"

<my mom's in there.. and he loves her too much to do that to her> "I just know" he whispered. Shinji returned his attention to the rings he decided on. "May I get that wedding set please?"

The smallest man ran to assist the pilot. "The gold ones?"

Shinji shook his head no. "The platinum ones."

"Yes, you do know Ms. Ayanami's taste." The small man said as he reached and retrieved the rings. "Only the best."

Shinji nodded. He knew that Rei would think the gold ones would stand out too much against her skin, and sliver ones were too cheap. Rei didn't request a lot of stuff, but what she wanted was only the best. When the man handed them to the pilot, he inspected it carefully. They were simple and ethereal like his Rei-chan. They also had an interlaced design that also made them unique, like his Rei-chan.

"What size is this ring?" Shinji asked curiously as he held up the small female band.

The small man informed. "4 3/4"

"REALLY?!!" The third child couldn't believe his luck. "That's Rei-chan's...."

"Size." The man finished the pilots sentence. "Yes we know. The commander is a regular here. All the rings that are displayed are her size. He doesn't like to wait, unless the item is specially ordered." He gestured to the pictures on the wall.

"Oh.." Both boys said in unison as the looked up and at the pictures and back down at all the tiny bands on the female rings in the cases.

Shinji tried on the larger male ring. "Somebody up there must like me!" The ring fit perfectly. He looked at the small man and said "I'll take them both!"

The man nodded and went to get the jewelry box for them.

"I thought you were going to get her an engagement ring?" Touji asked in a confused tone "Not a wedding ring.... I mean whoever heard of getting the wedding ring before the engagement ring?"

"Oh yeah..." Shinji scratched the back of his head once he realized that he was kinda jumping the gun. Not only did he have to ask her to marry him, he had to ask her to be his girlfriend again.

He looked back at the old man. "How much is that ring?" He pointed to the smaller of the two huge diamond rings.

The small man pouted because he knew that he just lost the commission on the wedding bands.

The older man beamed and answered as if it were no big deal. "Just a little over $10,000"

"WHAT?!!!!" Both the teens screamed in unison.

"What do I look like? A millionaire?!" Shinji asked sarcastically. "Why would you even show me rings that cost that much?"

<duh> The older man asked knowingly. "You *are* the son of Gendo Ikari right?"

The third child raised his brows defensively. "Yeah. So?"

"Then_ yes_ you do." the old man said flatly.

Touji gave his friend a surprised look. "You're a millionaire?!"

Shinji was just about to say no when the small man coughed out. "Multi-billionaire."

Both the young Ikari and Suzuhara were shocked stiff.

The third child admitted. "I had no idea my father was so wealthy..."

All three employees of the jewelry store quirked a brow in a confused manner.

The old man asked seriously this time. "You *are* Shinji Ikari, the son of Commander Ikari right?"

Shinji nodded dumbly. He was still in shock by his fathers wealth.

"Then how could you *not* know your father's net worth?" the man who buzzed them in asked snidely.

Shinji just shrugged because he didn't want to tell them about him and his father's relationship, or lack of.

The old man held up the $10,000 ring. "So should we wrap this up for Ms. Ayanami?"

Shinji raised his brow and shook his head no. "I can't afford it."

"What?" The old man asked flatly. "Of course you can."

"No_ I can't." Shinji stated again. "My father may be one of the richest men in the world, but I'm not. I'm just a pilot that makes $400 a month."

"You make $400 dollars!?!" Touji yelled then crossed his arm at the injustice of it all . He only made $250.

The three men blinked. Hard.

"Why does that ring cost so much anyway?" Touji asked bitterly. He was still upset with the big difference in their paychecks. But then again, he was only a reserve pilot and didn't work as much as Shinji or the others. But as of right now, he didn't see it in that perspective.

"The diamond in this ring..." The man who buzzed them in gestured to the $10,000 ring. "As well as in all our diamonds, are of the finest quality." He then said haughtily. "They are top quality in all the four C's"

"The four C's?" Shinji asked sheepishly.

"Cut, color, clarity, and carat weight."

Shinji and Touji looked at each other with a confused expression.. They had no idea what that guy was talking about.

The man was about to give the boys a lesson in the art of picking out the best diamonds, but was interrupted when the third child shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "I only have two thousand... What kind of diamond ring can I get for $2,000?"

"Nothing in here." the old man answered quickly.

"Nani?!" Shinji couldn't believe that he couldn't afford to by his Rei-chan a ring with $2,000. He glanced at Touji's watch. He didn't have time to go to another store and look. Dejectedly he shook his head again and sighed out. "Can I at least afford to get the wedding bands?"

The small man nodded happily. He was going to make a sale after all.

Suzuhara turned his friend and asked. "Why are you getting *those* rings? We could just go to another store and by her a cheaper ring...." He turned his nose up at the three men. "I'm sure it would be just as good."

"Doubt it." The three said in unison.

Touji rolled his eyes.

"We don't have time." Shinji answered as he walked to the registers to pay for the rings. "Anyways, I want to give it to her as a promise ring.... This way, everyone will know that not only is she loved and promised to someone, but they will know I am too. And when we are together, it will be like our song... I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine. "

"Sweet." Suzuhara said impressed. "Did you just think of that?...." He continued in mirth "....Because you didn't have enough money for a engagement ring?"

<yes> "Shut up!" Shinji growled. "Who asked you anyway!"

Touji laughed.

"Well I think it's sweet." admitted the small man. "That will be "$1, 573.23"

Shinji took out his wallet and fumbled as he tried to take out his money. He then handed his wallet to his friend. "Can you get the money out for me?"

"Why?" Touji quirked a brow to see what was hindering his friend from getting the money out of his wallet. He eyes tripled their size when he saw what Shinji held in his hand. "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU TOOK HER MEDICINE!!!"

Shinji looked down at the glass beaker he held onto with dear life. He was ashamed for taking Rei's soul but.... but he had to. She would leave him if he didn't have it. In a very small voice Shinji said "will you just pay the man."

The fourth child snatched the wallet out of his crazy friends hands and paid the man.

As the small man handed Touji the change, he said to Shinji. "You know, we engrave for free."

"Oh.... I didn't know that." Shinji admitted "But I don't have time. I need to give this to her before she leaves at seven."

"It will only take about an hour" the man chimed. "You can put that beautiful saying about being beloved's on your rings."

Shinji looked at the his friends watch. It was 5:34. That gave him enough time to get the engraving done and run back to the apartment. "Ok I'll do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about 30 minutes to Seven

Rei was in her office. She had buried her emotions under the multitude of work she had to do. It was amazing, . If her thoughts wondered to a certain blue eyed, brown haired pilot or when a stray tear would escape her crimson eyes, she would just work harder and faster. In a little more than two hours she had caught up on all her work.

She had just singed the last document as she sat there alone, on her cushion, in her small *real* office. The unwanted feeling of sorrow was back and demanding not to be ignored.

The first child tucked her knees close to her chest and cupped her face in her hands, as she was just about to give into that melancholy feeling and wallow in the sorrow of her break up when she heard

"Rei"

Her head whipped up to the voice and she quickly wiped away her tears.

The commander looked down at the very sad, young angel before him. His stone heart was breaking to see her that way. He wanted to comfort her and tell her everything was going to be alright, but when he tried to say those types of kind words, all that came out was "It's time to leave."

A melancholy "Yes sir" was her answer and she slowly got up from her cushion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please.. is it finished yet?!!" Shinji was completely stressed. It was less than 30 mins before seven and he still had to run across town to get to his apartment.

"This takes time...." the small man said comfortingly. "You want it to be perfect don't you?"

"I don't have time!!" the third child yelled. He was on the verge of crying.

"I knew you shouldn't have let them engrave it, man!" Touji growled as he raked his through his hair and leaned against a jewelry case. "Now we're not going to make it back before she leaves."

"She's not going to leave!" Shinji put a tighter grip on her beaker "She can't! Not without this..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first, second, and third commander had just arrived in front of Rei's apartment building. It was a short but very quiet trip. Rei new she had about ten minutes left until seven, then she and the commander would be gone for three weeks.

When the driver opened the limo door for her, she hesitated getting out. She wasn't sure if Shinji was in there or not. She also wasn't sure if she could handle seeing him if he was there. He hurt her when he said he really wanted children even though he knew that she couldn't have any.

The commander noticed that she wasn't getting out of the automobile. He also noticed the fear and sorrow in her eyes. "Rei"

The first child turned her gaze to the man who was sitting next to her. "Yes sir?"

"What are you going to do once we get back?" he asked calmly.

She didn't respond. She didn't understand the question. The was an infinite amount of answers she could give him.

So he clarified. "Are you going to stay here and live with him?"

She looked away from her guardian; she hadn't thought that far yet. She was just trying to make it through today.

He nodded. He got his answer right there. He smiled at her and said melodiously. "You could always go home."

She looked back at him, her eyes narrowed and widened at the same time "Home?" She thought she was home.

He nodded again. "Yes. You can come home."

She looked at him for about a minute then nodded once she remembered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because the jewelers took so long engraving the rings, the third and fourth pilot took a taxi back to Shinji apartment.

"I can't believe this!" Shinji yelled as he raked his hand through his hair. "I'm going to lose her!"

"Don't think like that." Touji tried to say in a comforting tone "It's still a few minutes before a seven."

"Yeah," Shinji looked out the window and where they were " But we're at least 15 minutes away!"

"Only five." Informed the taxi driver.

"Huh?" Shinji looked at the man

Touji answered. "Where not running, remember? It's only a five minute drive. I'm sure she'll still be there when we arrive...." He looked at Shinji's hand and shook his head. "She's probably looking for her medicine right now."

The third child looked at his beloved's soul and nodded. <I'm soo sorry Rei-chan>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rei was finished packing her few clothes for the trip. Later she would have NERV security to get the rest of her stuff. The commander was right, it really made no sense for Shinji to move. Almost all of all the stuff in the apartment was his. Anyway, she had a place to go... "Home" After three years she was going to go back.

Her *ex* boyfriend asked her once if she always lived here. At the time she couldn't remember, but now she could. She used to live in the commander's condo. She lived there until about a month before Shinji came to Tokyo-3. She had decided to leave because she felt like she disappointed the commander when her Eva went berserk and the commander got hurt when he went to save her. After that incident, Ritsuko had visited her in the hospital and told her that the commander was angry with her because now he was permanently scared. The doctor also told her that she cost NERV hundreds of thousands of dollars, which at the time they didn't have, because they had to damage unit 00 to rescue her. The doctor told her that the reason for the Eva going berserk was because *her* mind was unstable, not because the soul in the Eva rebelled against her control. Thus another reason why the commander was upset with her. *And* because of her failure, the commander had risked his son's safety and sent for him to come to Toyko-3 because she was too incompetent to pilot successfully. Ritsuko would often visit her and tell her those hateful things as well as tell the first child that along as the commander didn't know she knew how he felt about her, he would still pretend to like her. Rei quickly grew weary of the doctors informative sessions and decided that she no longer wanted to stay at the hospital. However, Rei took the doctor's advice; she never informed the commander of what Ritsuko told her. But she was too ashamed to continue living in the commander's home, so she moved out.

However, why she chose this building and this particular apartment was a memory she couldn't find. She knew it was significant. She just couldn't remember it. The commander had even purchased her a nicer apartment, but she was adamant about staying there. Why?...

"Happiness..." She remember a little bit of her reason ."I was supposed to find happiness here..."

She shook that thought out of her head and got up. There was no happiness here. Only false hope. She looked at the clock, it was two minutes till 7. She picked up her small suit case and walked over to her medical tray and ...froze!!!

Her eyes were as wide as saucers and her tears flowed like a water fall.

"This is just too much!" She sobbed out. "I can bare no more!!... WHY... why would someone steal my SOUL?!!"

Today was the worst day of her life. She had been holding in her emotions all day and she thought that she was going to burst. Shinji had broken her heart, and now someone has stolen her soul! It wasn't her real soul, but it was tangible. It was one of the only things other than Shinji that meant something to her.

In all honesty, she could go to NERV and get another beaker filled with some more of that solution she called her soul. But it being gone was the straw the broke the camels back. Rei sank to her knees curled in a ball and cried. She could no longer hold it in.

One of her NERV agents walked into her doorway, and informed "3rd commander Ayanami. It is now 7pm."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you." The second commander said with a hint of mirth

~click~

He hung up the phone and looked at his friend. "I was just in formed that the third child is about 2 minutes away, and Rei refused to leave the apartment."

Gendo nodded. "Implement the plan."

Kozo bit his bottom lip as he opened his brief case to get the item Gendo needed to keep his *children* from marrying.

"They're too young." Gendo said as he watched his friend get everything ready.

"You're preaching to the choir." Fuyutsuki said in agreement.

It wasn't that either one of them didn't want the first and third child to commit themselves to such a promise. It was that they felt that the two pilots were too young for such a commitment. They had just broken up for crying out loud!

Kozo pulled out Gendo's plan. It was a life-sized picture of Rei's head on a stick.

"Now put it in front of your face and ask me to allow you to marry my son." Gendo commanded in a distressed tone. "I need to practice saying no to her."

The second commander tried to stifle his laugh, but failed miserably.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about 7 minutes after seven. The taxi had just pulled in front of the building when the third child saw the limo and almost had a heart attack "Oh god, she's leaving!!" He threw his friend his wallet to pay the driver, and jumped out the taxi before it completely stopped.

The pilot of unit 01 ran to his dad's limo and banged on the window.

Painfully slow, it rolled down.

"Yes Ikari?" His father asked in a sarcastic stern voice.

Shinji swallowed hard and looked in through the open window for his beloved. She wasn't in there. "Umm nothing ...sorry!" The boy bounced on the balls of his feet, turned and ran into the apartment building.

The commander rolled the window back up and said to his friend.

"You're not doing it right!..... Your voice has to be calmer and more gentle..."

<well excuuuuuuse me> The 2nd commander tried to keep his eyes from betraying his thoughts.

Gendo was too stressed out, to read his long time friend's eyes. "And don't ask me... Rei never asks for anything. She informs."

Kozo nodded knowingly.

"Now try again." The commander demanded. "We only have a few minutes left."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinji had made it to the fourth floor in record time. He saw two NERV agents standing vigil outside their door.

Not knowing if they were standing there to keep him away, Shinji approach the door cautiously. When they didn't even acknowledge his presence as he swiped his key and went in, he mentally sighed <I'll take that as a good sign>

His heart broke into a million pieces immediately after he opened the door. There was Rei on her knees, bent over with her butt in the air, her forehead was on the floor and her face cupped in her hands. He had never seen anyone, besides himself, cry so hard. He never imagined her being able *to cry* so with such emotion.

He ran to her and tried to lift her up so he could hold her.

She batted his hands away and fell to her side. She curled into a fetal position and cried harder.

He tried again. His own eyes were now swelling up with tears. He reached under her legs/knees, with the hand that held her beaker in a tight fist, and held her top half with other hand. She tried to push him away, but he was able to scoop her up in a cradle position and carry her to the bed. Unlike Asuka, Rei's hits were as gentle she looked. He sat her on his lap.

"Leave..... (hiccup) me... (sniff).. alone." She sobbed out as she tired to push away from him.

"Never." Shinji cried out and held onto her tighter. "I love you..."

After about a minute of futile pulling away from him, she gave up and wrapped her arms around his neck and cried onto his shoulder.

Shinji wrapped a tight embrace around her waist, buried his face in the crook of her neck and cried as well.

A few minutes later he pulled back and said though his sobs. "I'm sorry Rei-chan.."

She slowly pulled back and looked at him. She was hiccupping violently as she tried to stop her tears.

He looked into her crimson eyes. Her beautiful eyes were so blood shot that he couldn't tell where her iris ended. Her face was completely flushed and her hair was plastered to cheeks.

"Shhh" He hushed lovingly as he gently bushed her hair off her face. "You don't have to cry... It will be okay.."

She just looked at him as she hiccupped her sobs. She didn't believe him.

"I'm sorry... I... should have known better ... I'm sorry I hurt you."

She sniffled as she look at him. "You.. (hiccup) mean it (sniff sniff)..?"

He nodded. "I'm sorry so Rei-chan..." He held her soul filled beaker in front of her. "I should have never taken it."

Rei's eyes widened in shock when she saw her soul. *He* was the thief!! He broke her heart then he stole her soul. Did he have no conscience what- so- ever?! Her head wiped in his direction and she gave him a shocked, disappointed and angry glare.

Shinji lowered his eyes and whispered. "Gomen"

Her eyes narrowed. She was angry. Not only for the fact that he took her sole!! But.. <THAT'S WHAT HE'S SORRY ABOUT!!! WHAT ABOUT WHAT HE SAID TO ME THIS MORNING!!!!> In anger she batted his hand away from her.

clink clink

clink

clink.

rrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllll llllll under the bed.

A small squeaking yell was heard coming from the first child because of the distress and shock of seeing her soul fall out of his hand, onto the floor and roll under the bed. Rei quickly jumped off the boys lap to retrieve her most precious possession.

Shinji jumped up too. It was he who actually retrieved it. "Here you go Rei-chan"

Rei ran to him and gently took it out of his hand. She inspected it carefully making sure it was ok. Thankfully it was. She looked up at him and he smiled warmly at her. All her anger melted away.... only to be replaced by the sorrow of his betrayal. She walked away from him and went to the bathroom to get her toothbrush as she sobbed out. "Leave me alone, third child."

Once she pulled her toothbrush out of its holder, she looked into the bathroom mirror and started crying again . Her hair was a mess. A complete curly afro. There were no more Shirley Temple curls. The wind had blown her hair in disarray when she had the window of the limo down earlier. She mentally cried. <why didn't anyone tell me?>

Shinji ignored her command to stay away from her, and walked toward her when her cries became worse. "Rei-chan"

In a gentle motion, she flicked her wrist to shoo him away, but what she didn't count on was her powers surfacing.

Shinji flew backwards across the room and slammed against the adjacent wall. He was stuck there for a couple of seconds before, he was dropped and fell onto his stomach on the bed.

Rei screamed when she saw what she did. She didn't mean it. She really didn't mean it this time. She ran over to him. "I'm so sorry!"

The third child went into a coughing fit as he turned around to look at her. He got the wind knocked out of him.

Rei wrapped her arms around him and cried onto his chest. "I'm soo sorry!"

"It's ok..." He coughed out. "It's okay..."

She looked at him "I didn't (hiccup) mean it..."

"I know" he mouthed and nodded as he caressed her face. "Rei"

She looked at him.

"I love you."

I... love.." <why are you playing with my feelings?!!!> She glanced at the alarm clock and sniffed out "I must go." She let him go, quickly picked up her suitcase and her soul, and walked toward the door. She needed to get away from him. His kind words were cutting her much to deeply.

Shinji groaned as he quickly got of the bed and grabbed her wrist. "Rei-chan please don't leave me!"

She stopped but did not turn around. "The apartment is now yours." She tried to pull her wrist out of his grasp. "I will have someone to retrieve the rest of my belongings within the week."

Shinji tightened is hold on her. "Rei... please.. I love you so much.. please don't leave me!"

She did not respond. Nor did she continue to try to get away from him. <why are you tormenting me?>

He took that as a good sign and continued "Rei .." He pulled the ring box and a piece of paper out of his pocket and walked in front of her. "Rei you are my life.. please don't take that away from me.."

She closed her eyes and started to cry again.

He took her suit case out of her hand and put it on the floor. He then gently grabbed her hand and led her back to the bed. Once they sat down he spoke as she continued to cry.

He was crying too. "Rei-chan... (sniff).. this morning..."

She cried harder and started hiccupping.

Shinji tried to stifle his own tears but, Rei look sooooo hurt. He continued the best he could. "When I said I wanted kids....."

She cried even harder then started coughing . Her tears were choking her.

"Shhh..." He embraced her and pulled her onto his lap "Shhh.... baby-girl, please calm down..."

"Cough*.. sob... cough cough... sob ... sniff sniff .... sob ... sob... hiccup .... sob"

He cupped her cheek in his hand and wiped away her tears with his thumb. He continued "My love, I didn't know.... (sniff sniff) .. I didn't, that you couldn't have kids, this morning..."

She stopped crying for half a second and looked at him quizzically then continued again as she cried out "You did too.... (sob).... I told you!... (sob.... sob ...sob)"

"I know..." He wrapped his arms around her slender waist. "Baby-girl I know... (sniff sniff) I just didn't know then..." The third child stifled his cries and admitted. "I wasn't listening when you told me!"

She gave him a teary eyed dumbfounded expression.

He continued "I don't even want kids..."

She hiccupped out. "Then why did you say that you did?"

"I...I thought that's what you wanted" He laughed in an ironic melancholy tone.

"Kids?.... (hiccup)" She forked her brow.

He nodded.

She shook her head and sniffed out. "I don't want kids. EVER!"

He gave her a warm smile and said "Me neither. "

"I mean it." She continued "I don't wants kids. I would be really, really,( sniff sniff) really, really, SAD if by some chance I could have kids and got pregnant."

Shinji was surprised by what she said. He thought she got so upset because she wanted kids but couldn't have them. He was glad that she was at peace with her inability it have children. "Why did you break up with me Rei-chan?"

"Because" She almost started to cry again. "I thought you knew... I thought you were telling me that you were going to leave me for someone who could give you children."

He shook his head no. "I would never leave you. Not even in death. " He gave her a quick butterfly kiss and said. "I'd haunt you as a ghost."

She giggled, a little, because she knew he was serious.

He unwrinkled the paper. "I wrote you something... " He looked deep into her eyes. "To tell you how much I love you...." He gave it to her

She looked at it, then wiped the tears out of her eyes with her tiny balled fist.

He smiled; she look like a little baby when she did that.

She looked at him and admitted in a baby voice. "I can't see it... (sniff) .my eyes are too watery."

He gave her warm smile and titled the paper so he could see it. With heartfelt emotion, he read her the words:

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what Spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand!
In other words, darling, Kiss me
Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forevermore

(Then he stressed the last part)

You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true!
In other words, I love you!

She quirked a brow "*You* wrote that?"

He nodded.

She gave him a skeptical expression.

He gave her a sheepish smile. "I mean... I wrote it... on this paper.." He gestured to the paper. "I didn't *write* it, write it." He gave her another sheepish smile.

She didn't respond. She just looked at him.

Shinji knew what she was thinking and he didn't want to think about it. So he changed the subject. "Rei-chan, what I'm trying to say is ..." He held out the ring box and opened it.

Rei looked at the wedding band set in the box, then looked back at him. "You want to marry me?"

He nodded. He was about to tell her how these rings would seal their promise to each other until they were old enough to marry. But he was interrupted.

The first child grabbed the box out of his hand and closed it. She then quickly got off his lap.

He gave her a confused and very scared expression. He thought she was rejecting him.

She walked over to the other dress she bought yesterday. It was hung up and safely enclosed in a garment bag. Once she had it in her hand, she pointed to his suit. "Quickly, put that on."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The commander raked his hands over his face. He was just informed that the third commander and third child was on their way down in the elevator.

<just do as you practiced... No. No. No. No. No. No!> When the driver opened the door, he turned his head and saw his little girl and the young man his son grew up to be, and mentally said <YES> "Dammit!"

"She looks very beautiful." Kozo admitted.

Rei had on a long white designer dress that had one strap that went from her left side and over her right shoulder. It was silk. The top was fitted and the bottom was hung loosely and fluttered ethereally with each of her fluid steps. She had the curls brushed out of her hair making her blue hair waving. Her bangs were brushed out of her face so that the diamond tiara she wore could be seen. The tiara had a diamond tear drop that hung a little above her the middle of her brow. She looked like one of the mythical angels of old.

Gendo nodded in agreement with his friend. His little Rei really did look beautiful. <practice Gendo!... No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No!!!>

The driver stood by the opened door and waited for the third commander to enter the limo. He quirked a brow when the third child entered as well.

Gendo quirked a brow too. He was surprised by his sons boldness. <for gods sake stop getting distracted and practice! No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No!!!>

Shinji felt sick. He did not want to do this. Yes, he wanted to marry his beloved Rei-chan, but he did not want to be inside his fathers limo... but what could he do. Rei had a death grip on his hand when she pulled him into the car. He got dressed on command. Like a dummy, he didn't even ask why. He was just so glad that she didn't reject him. It wasn't until they got down stairs did she tell him why they got dressed. <I'm so stupid. I should have known!!!>

Shinji immediately noticed that his father's limo was not as elaborate as his Rei-chan's. The commanders limo had only two rows of seats that faced each other. It had a fridge too but nothing else. It was very simple; nothing like the third child was expecting.

Rei and Shinji sat directly across from Gendo, right beside Fuyutsuki. That seat quickly became crowed so the second commander got up and sat beside the elder Ikari. The first and second commander stared at the first and third child. The first child stared at the first commander. The third child stared... at his feet.

They sat there and stared, for about a minute, then everyone noticed

"Why aren't we moving?" the commander asked coldly into the intercom.

"I'm sorry sir" answered the driver. "I wasn't sure if you wanted the third child to arrive at the destination point."

"Unless I specifically tell you so, do not assume anything." the commander said cruelly.

"Yes sir." The driver started up the limo and started them on their way.

The elder Ikari looked at his son. Shinji looked at his dad and swallowed hard. He was terrified, but unknown to him, so was his dad.

Rei was about to inform the commander about the reason Shinji was in the limo but was interrupted.

"No."

A simple statement. Which wasn't said cruelly. Actually the tone was meek and wimpy. And if it wasn't for the fact that it was the first time he had ever said that to her, it wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Kozo looked at his friend through a truly amazed gaze. <you actually did it!... I never thought I'd live to see the day you said no to Rei>

Rei looked at her guardian with a dumbfounded expression. <he said no.. he actually said NO!!!..... to me....> Her chin started to quiver, her eyes started to water up, and she looked around the limo as if she were trying to see if she was in the right place and not in some Twilight Zone! She slowly returned her gaze to the commander and looked at him as if she didn't know him. And then..... she coughed .

He commander felt like his heart was being ripped out as he watched his *daughter* cry so violently, she was actually coughing and gagging like she was going to throw up.

Shinji of course, had his arms around her and was trying to soothe his totally distraught angel. "It's ok baby, it's okay...."

Kozo glared at Gendo "What the hell is wrong with you?! Marry them for crying out loud!!"

Gendo quickly turned his gaze to his friend and narrowed his eyes. <TRAITOR!!> He looked back at the two teens sitting across from him. He hated seeing her like that, but he felt that they were *too young* for such a commitment.

"Shikisha...." (commander)

Shinji pulled back a bit. The tone in which she addressed his father sounded like she was saying *daddy* instead of commander.

"Doozo (hiccup.. sob) .. yoroshiku (cough... sob.. cough)" (Please... treat me kindly)

Gendo could feel the sting of his own unshed tears burning his eyes. She used to call him shikisha when she was a little girl, before she died the first time. It was her way of saying daddy. He never thought he would ever hear her say those words again. He only hoped he would. "I...I.. didn't mean *no*, as in you *can't*.... get married....."

She looked up at him. Her face was totally flushed and tear streaked.

More daggers in his cold heart. He continued "I just meant that I don't have the necessary papers to make it official."

Shinji embraced her tighter. "See baby-girl, he wasn't saying no to you..." The boy wiped some of her tears away. "So please calm down... you're making yourself sick.." He was really worried about her.

The second commander opened his briefcase and pulled out the contracts he was searching for earlier. "Rei."

She looked up at the professor as she coughed and hiccupped her sobs.

"Don't worry, I have the necessary papers."

Gendo whipped his head in his friends direction. <TRAITOR!!>

Rei stopped crying almost instantly and asked sweetly "You (sniff) do?"

He nodded and smiled warmly. He gave the papers to Shinji. "You guys need to fill this out."

Shinji looked at the papers. It was a marriage license.

Then Kozo gave him a pen. "Quickly now. We're almost at our destination."

Shinji nodded and filled out the paper. When he got to Rei's portion, he had to have help. "Rei-chan"

"Hmm?"

"When's your birthday?"

She answered calmly. "I do not have one. I wasn't born."

Shinji blinked. Hard. He quickly remembered what she called it. "When's your awakening date?"

She answered calmly. "That is classified."

"Oh..." The third child was about to move on to the next question. When his father spoke up.

"June 30th... that was her first awakening."

Shinji looked at his dad and smiled broadly. Rei smiled too. Shinji quickly went back to the task at hand. For her place of birth he said Tokyo-3, but when he came to her parents, he was at a loss.

"Just make up a name." Gendo said flatly. "But be sure to mark deceased, and under current guardian, put my name."

Shinji did just that . He made something up for her blood type too, since her blood was LCL. They both signed the paper and gave it back to the Second commander. Kozo gave it to Gendo to sign, giving his permission for the two under-aged teens to marry. Which he did reluctantly, then practically threw it back at his friend. The professor chuckled as he used a metal clamp and notarized it. He smiled at the two as he said.

"Didn't know I was a notary public , did ya?"

Shinji shook his head no and Rei nodded yes, that she knew.

Gendo just rolled his eyes behind his tinted glasses, at the traitor's words.

The limo stopped. Secret NERV agents opened the doors. Kozo got out on the left side. The commander got out on the right. Rei gently pushed her fiancé to get out on the right. Shinji did as he was gently commanded.

With a defeated expression, Gendo waited for his two engaged *children* to get out of the limo. Kozo stood beside him smiling broadly.

Rei held Shinji's hand as she walked over to the commander.

Shinji looked around. It looked like they were at a military airport. He finally saw the jet they used. It was huge and it looked civilian.

"Tell no one of this place" his father said in a stern tone.

"Y...yes sir." the pilot said quickly.

Gendo nodded. Then said "Marriage is a big responsibility. It's not like dating. You can't separate or go and get a divorce whenever you have a misunderstanding. Do you understand this?"

The teens nodded.

Gendo gave them a skeptical expression. <I can't believe I'm doing this> "Are you sure you understand? Marriages are a sacred. Only death should be able to part you.... and then maybe not even death. "

The two nodded in understanding.

The commander took a deep breath and rolled his eyes. He didn't believe that they were old enough to appreciate the gift of marriage. "Then lets get started."

Shinji eyes widened and he looked around for the priest.

The elder Ikari knew what his son was looking for. "I'm going to marry you two."

"Nani?" The third child gave a dumbfounded expression to his father "You're ordained?"

The first, second and third commander laughed at Shinji's innocence. Gendo a priest, now that's a laugh.

"No" His father said in his usual cold voice but it was lace with a big hint of mirth. "I am authorized by the Empire of Japan to oversee such ceremonies."

"Oh"

"Do you have the rings?" the commander asked.

Shinji reached in his inner jacket pocket and pulled out the ring box. He gave one of the rings to Rei.

Gendo's doubt about the union of his *children's* marriage disappeared completely when he saw how Shinji looked into Rei's eyes and the way Rei looked into Shinji. Their love was so intense *he* felt overwhelmed by it. He could actually feel it radiating off of them. He glanced at his friend.

Kozo mouthed "I feel it too."

The first and second commander watched the two teens. It was amazing. They were breathing in unison, moving in unison.. even blinking in unison. They were synchronizing... becoming one. But neither seemed to notice it.

The two men were entranced as they watched the teens until

"We are ready." The two said in unison.

It was eerie, and it snapped the two high ranking men back into reality.

The commander delved in his memory on what the wedding vows were. He had never done this before, and the only wedding he had ever been to was his own. After about a minute, he came to the conclusion that he couldn't remember. He and Yui made up their own vows. So like all great leaders he... compromised and adapted to the situation.

"Do you Shinji take Rei as your lawfully wedded wife to have and to hold, to love and honor through sickness and health, richer or poorer... do you promise to be her confidant when she needs someone to confide in, and keep that information classified, and not pass judgment on her for the decisions she must make, no matter what your personal beliefs are on the matter? Do you promise to stand by her side when the world is against her and she is considered a heartless bastard for the decisions she *must* make.... like sacrificing the few to save many. *And* if she should happen to kill anyone in your presence, you will not make her feel bad about it later... Till death do you part?

Shinji blinked *hard* <what kind of wedding vow is that?>

Rei just looked at her true love expectantly. The vow made sense to her.

Kozo tried to stifle his laughter.

Shinji looked at his love and smiled. "I do."

Gendo smiled <this is not so hard> "Do you Rei take Shinji as your lawfully wedded husband to have and to hold, to love, honor and obey through sickness and health, richer or poorer till death do you part?"

<hey how come mine was so long!!> Shinji thought as he smiled warmly at his almost wife.

Rei smiled warmly back and said "I do" then she realized what she just agreed to.. <I did I just agree to *obey* him...?>

"Now Shinji, place the ring on the fourth finger of her left hand and repeat after me.... I Shinji Ikari take you, Rei Ayanami, as my wedded wife till death do us part."

Shinji gingerly put the small wedding band on the fourth finger of her left hand and repeated the words with a soulful conviction.

"Now Rei, I want you to place the ring on the fourth finger of his left hand and repeat after me... I Rei Ayanami take you, Shinji Ikari, as my wedded husband till death do us part."

Rei did as she was told and repeated the words with surprising conviction in her clam voice.

"Then by the power vested in me by the Empire of Japan, I now pronounce you husband and wife." The commander looked at the two married teens, as they stared devotedly at each other and smiled. He couldn't help himself, he was happy. "Oh... you may kiss your bride."

Shinji gave his wife a big @$$ grin and pulled her close for a kiss. A very passionate kiss, which Rei returned hungrily.

"Oh wow" the second commander said as he watched them kiss. He was getting embarrassed, and he didn't embarrass easily. So instead of looking at them, he looked at his friend.

Gendo had already turned away from the lusty teens and was walking toward the jet.

"Wait Gendo!" his friend called out. "I need you to sign the wedding certificate."

The commander walked back to the older man and signed the paper as he admitted "I never thought I would be able to do this."

"What?" Kozo asked quizzically "Marry them?"

Gendo nodded as he looked at his son. The boy continued to kiss his bride, then the commander quickly looked away. The way the two teens were kissing and groping was almost pornographic, and they still had their close on. He looked at the 2nd commander and admitted. "Or at Shinji's wedding, I know how he feels about me."

Kozo looked at the boy, he was still kissing his bride and had Rei's legs wrapped around his waist as they made their way for Gendo's limo. "Maybe that will change." He looked at his friend. "Should we give them fifteen more minutes?"

Gendo shook his head no. "I don't want her first time in a car." <especially *my* car!!> "Rei."

Both teens immediately looked at the commander.

"Time to go." He turned and walked toward the jet.

The two married Ikaris almost started crying when the commander said those words. Shinji slowly released his wife, then gave her a tight embrace around her slender waist after her feet were safely planted on the ground.

He kissed her passionately and whispered when they parted for air. "I love you, Mrs. Ikari."

"I love you too, my husband" she whispered back as she wiped a stray tear from his cheek.

"I wish you didn't have to go" he admitted as the tears started streaming down his cheeks.

Her tears mirrored his. "I will be back soon."

"When?" he sobbed out.

She kissed him and answered through her tears, "When you see me." The information was classified.

He nodded in understanding. "Then.... I will see you then... my beloved tsuma." (wife)

She kissed him passionately one more time. Then she reluctantly let him go. "I will see you soon my beloved otto" (husband)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still don't own anything that deals with EVANGELION

^_~ this chapter is dedicated to my good friend Rick... (He thinks I'm a goddess, you know ^__^ )

Love ya lots... I really really do

Kimberly

^_~