One Piece Fan Fiction / Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Cruise ❯ The Foretold Arrival—Zoro vs. the Crystal Swordsman ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own One Piece, Teen Titans, or any characters or elements contained within. I believe these can be credited to the geniuses Eiichiro Oda [author and artist of OP], Marv Wolfman and George Perez [respective author and artist of The New Teen Titans comic of the eighties], and Glen Murakami and his talented crew [the staff of the Teen Titans animated series, the Titans version which this story is based off.] Thanks for developing these wonderful characters I have the pleasure of using in this story!
 
Any original characters—and here comes the first of several!—belong to Pivitor. Remember it!
 
 
The Ultimate Cruise:
One Piece meets Teen Titans
 
Chapter Five: The Foretold Arrival—Zoro vs. the Crystal Swordsman
 
“Here's the last of them.” Chopper grunted, lowering his bulky form and resting the fifth Teen Titan against the wall of the ship. They were all out cold, battered and exhausted from the fight with Buggy and Alvida. Only Raven stayed conscious, her incredible healing abilities working wonders almost instantly.
 
The reindeer shrunk, resuming his true form. The tiny doctor started pulling his instruments from the pink bag he wore on his back, laying bandages across the floor. “I'll take care of them.” He assured his fellow pirates.
 
“Great, Chopper.” Nami smiled. “Now to repair the ship. Zoro!”
 
Silence was the answer the navigator received.
 
“I can't believe him!” She screamed, stomping her foot. “Whenever there is work to be done that lazy good-for-nothing just up and disappears!”
 
“I'll find him Nami-san!” Sanji drooled, popping up behind his love's shoulder. Her chest heaved out as she sighed.
 
“Fine then.” Nami gave up. “I have to get the food supplies, but,” She pulled some money from her pocket, slowly handing it to the cook. “Y-You should get the lumber while you're there.”
 
Usopp gasped. Nami never trusted anybody else with her money! Just as the love struck Sanji moved to take the Berries, a black field enveloped the currency and pulled it away.
 
“Are you really going to let him go out to buy it alone?” Raven asked. “I'll find Zoro—all of you should go get your lumber together.” Her gaze moved across Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp. “You better go with them if you want to leave this island anytime this week—that would take much longer than not splitting up for supplies.”
 
Nami smiled. “You're right. Come on boys!” The troop once again left the deck and trudged into town; Sanji followed joyously, Luffy seemed oblivious, and Usopp grumbled under his breath.
 
A wry smile crawled across Raven's face as well. Now she could see what this Zoro guy was really about. Her body retreated into a rapidly growing ball of darkness, which phased into the ground and disappeared. Tony Tony Chopper stared on in wonder.
 
“I'll never get used to that.” The reindeer said in awe.
 
 
 
Zoro set down the mug, foam still resting on the rim. “I'll take another.” he grunted, never raising his head to meet the bartender's eyes.
 
“I think you've had enough.” The man said, counting the tally on his paper. His mind boggled at the capacity of this man's stomach. Zoro sighed, quickly slipping off the stool and returning his katanas to their home beneath his belt. How dare this idiot cut him off! If there was one thing Zoro was good at—besides sword fighting—it was holding his liquor. Tossing a few coins onto the counter, the green-haired swordsman walked out the door.
 
A girl was watching him. Jumping from her stool in the back of the bar, she stealthily moved towards the door.
 
“Where are you going?” The bartender growled.
 
Dammit! She had hoped to get out unseen. Her hand passed to the sheath latched to her belt, drawing the sword housed within with amazing speed. The tip of the katana stopped only millimeters away from the bartender's head.
 
“I should arrest you right now for serving pirates!” Tashigi exclaimed, inching closer. The man squirmed, trying to back up but finding that the table was impeding his progress. He shook, too scared to make a move. “That's what I thought.” Tashigi smiled, sheathing her weapon and walking out the door.
 
The bartender breathed a gigantic sigh of relief. Deciding to forget his close encounter, he swiped up Zoro's mug and collected his change. Examining his wages with pride, his face suddenly contorted into one of rage. This wasn't money! He had been paid in bottle-caps!
 
 
 
Roronoa Zoro actually wore a smirk as he sauntered down the back streets of Ianoa Island. Usopp's seemingly useless collections of worthless trinkets were actually coming in handy. Wouldn't Nami be proud if she knew the money he had saved!
 
“Roronoa Zoro! Freeze!” A female voice called out.
 
The swordsman stopped in his tracks, his smile instantly dropping into a frown. He grabbed the handle of a katana, leaning down low and spinning to face his threat.
 
“Good, you decided to face me after all,” Tashigi smiled. “I was afraid you were going to run again, coward.”
 
Zoro's eyes bugged from his head. Not her! If it were a marine armed to the teeth, he wouldn't have cared—but this girl! She was the one person who could get to Zoro. She was the enemy he couldn't kill, the face that haunted him at night.
 
“Don't you ever get tired of following me wench?” The man asked. His eyes slowly moved back and forth, looking for an escape route. Tashigi may be just an annoyance, but he had far more important things to do: Luffy needed to be warned that marines were on the island!
 
With a shing her sword had been drawn. “No.” Tashigi replied, her eyebrows arching down into a frown. “Each one of those katanas you carry are worth countless berries. Do you really think I'm going to let you use them to commit evil deeds?” Waving the weapon above her head mightily, the marine charged forward. “Now it's time to finish our fight!”
 
Zoro crouched and launched forward, kicking up a storm of dust behind him. He was so fast that Tashigi instantly lost sight of him. Hearing the sound of metal behind her, the marine swung the sword behind her back—and countered the green-haired fighter's assault perfectly. Zoro pushed off, landing on the ground with a smirk.
 
“You've gotten faster.” He complimented. “Smoker's been taking good care of you I see.” Taking a tighter grip on the white handled katana in his hand, he wound his arms and moved his legs into a stance.
 
“Smoker?” Tashigi laughed. “Actually, I have you to thank.” Zoro raised an eyebrow. “Yes. My motivation to stop your treachery has caused me to train until I reached my limits!”
 
As if to prove her new abilities to the opponent she so desperately sought, Tashigi raised her sword above her head and charged. Gripping the handle tight with both hands, the marine lunged and swiped viciously. Zoro countered each assault expertly, and the fight created a serenade of metal that echoed across the surrounding streets. However, the difference in skill could be seen immediately. Tashigi gave each swipe her all, yet Zoro barely seemed to be paying attention at all, lazily throwing his weapon about in one hand. Anybody else fighting like this would have been skewered by now—but not the accomplished Zoro. People like Tashigi were nothing to the future “best swordsman in the world.”
 
Again the swords met, and both fighters flew backwards from the recoil. With a scream the girl charged again, swinging in from the left. Zoro laughed, tossing his katana from his right hand to the left. Just as he had caught it Tashigi's sword met. However, his grip was just as strong Tashigi's, despite the fact that he barely seemed to try. She pushed against her opponent's weapon, using the force to launch herself into the air. She landed a few feet from Zoro.
 
“Quit playing around!” She commanded. “You're only doing this because I'm a girl! If I was a man you would have finished me by now!”
 
Zoro frowned. It was times like these that he hated Tashigi the most: times when she sounded just like her. “You want me to get serious?” He asked. “Then so be it!” This time the green-haired swordsman charged forward, taking the offensive. Tashigi was able to block his sword, but his incredible strength nearly knocked her own sword back into her. As she struggled to find an opportunity to move, Zoro slipped his hand to his belt and drew a second katana. It hit its mark, sending the marine's katana flying from her hand. It flipped through the air before landing; it landed blade down, wedged into the ground.
 
“I can't believe it” Tashigi sighed, dropping to her knees. As she remained stunned, Zoro returned his second weapon to its black and red sheath. Tashigi stared at it. She had been there when he bought it. That sword was a cursed sword, said to kill all its owners. Roronoa Zoro was the first man ever able to properly handle that sword.
 
The third sword, which had remained undrawn, was housed in a black and silver plated sheath. It was an heirloom of the shop owner's family; Zoro had been granted possession of the treasure because of his skill with the cursed sword. Tashigi fumed—if only she had known the man Zoro truly was, she would have never allowed him to have that weapon!
 
The final sheath was pure white—a similarly colored sword remained in Zoro's hand. He had never even known the true value of that sword when he walked into the shop with it. If she could just save that sword, she'd give up on the others!
 
“Why must you shed blood with that sword?” Tashigi asked again, her head hung low. Tears were building in her eyes.
 
Zoro grunted, lifting his weapon to eye level. “I don't care what you think about my deeds. Call them evil if you wish. However, I also care nothing of the history of this sword! All I care about is the history between its former owner and myself!”
 
The swordsman's grip tightened as his memory again shifted to that poor girl and the promise he had made so many years ago. He'd become the best swordsman in the world, he had told her. He'd do it for her! And then…when she died…he knew that nothing would prevent him from living up to that promise!
 
Tashigi couldn't take her eyes off Zoro. The passion that burned in his eyes—she had never seen that in anybody before!
 
“I will become the best swordsman in the world, and blaze the path to that goal with this sword!” Zoro exclaimed. “I owe her that much! For that reason alone I will never be captured, and I will never give this weapon up!”
 
Before Tashigi got a chance to respond, Zoro swung his sword. Flipping it in his hand, the hilt of the handle landed on her temple—knocking her out cold. Zoro smirked. Tashigi looked and acted so much like her that there was no way he could kill her.
 
But that didn't mean he had to like her.
 
 
 
Raven stood on a nearby rooftop. Her long blue cape flittered in the wind as she watched Zoro's fight below. Another smile moved across her usually joy-barren face. She was right all along—there was more to this Zoro than met the eye!
 
Just then, she heard a voice from a street over. She turned to see another figure leaping from the rooftops. He was hidden by the fierce shadows of the sunset, but there was one feature the gothic hero could see. He had a sword sheathed to his side. It was blood red, not even obscured by the darkness.
 
Raven shuddered at the sight of it.
 
 
 
Zoro considered moving Tashigi for a second, but then changed his mind. Getting to Luffy and saving his friends was the most important priority right now. As he moved to rush to the aid of his crewmates, he was stopped by another voice.
 
“So you've finally arrived, Roronoa Zoro!” The voice proclaimed in a deep baritone. Spinning 360, Zoro was faced with the same figure Raven had witnessed only moments before him.
 
The man had dark black hair that fell across his square-jawed face in stringy wisps. His shirt was a deep shade of purple, and black shoulder plates formed a sort of armor by draping the sides of his chest. High black boots covered his legs up to his knees, and the similarly colored gloves protected his entire forearm—except for his fingers, which stuck right through. A blood red sheath, sword included of course, was attached to his belt.
 
“What do you want?” Zoro snarled. “I don't have time to play with anybody else.”
 
“But I've been waiting so long for you, Roronoa Zoro.” The man whined playfully. “In fact, my entire family has. For generations we've been watching for the legend to come to fruition!” He closed his eyes, obviously reciting the next bit from memory.
 
The power was locked away and hurled where it was never to be found again. But one day it shall return…heralded by the user of santoryu. Only then will the great power be restored to whence it came.”
 
“Santoryu?” Zoro echoed. “But that's…that's my three sword style!”
 
“Exactly.” The man grinned. “Ever since I first heard of Roronoa Zoro I knew you would be the fulfillment to the prophecy. So finally you've arrived to return the great power to me!”
 
“Great power? Sorry pal, but I don't know what the hell you're talking about.”
 
“Shame.” The stranger sighed, grabbing the hilt of his sword. As he drew it, Zoro noticed that the blade was a deep, crimson hue. It reminded him of something. Of course! It was the same color and texture as the stone of Iso Toa!
 
The great power that he was after must be that stone! Of course, Zoro didn't have it on him. Even if he had, he would have never given it up. Though they had known their new friends for only a day, they were friends nonetheless. Helping them return home was more important than any threats. Besides, to Roronoa Zoro this guy was nothing but another step on the path to becoming the best swordsman in the world.
 
Pulling on the knot, he untied the bandanna wrapped around his forearm and put it on his head. “Your prophecy seems like a pile of shit to me,” Zoro began, tying the green doo-rag in place. It cast shadows across his face, turning the green-haired man into an intimidating demon. “But I never turn down a challenge from a fellow swordsman.” He placed the handle of his white katana in his mouth, clenching down hard with his teeth. He drew both his other weapons, holding a sword in each hand.
 
The man pointed his blood-red sword towards Zoro, annoyed. “This town was once famous for making the greatest swords in the world. However, we soon took our power from a new source: the stone of Iso Toa. Unfortunately, it was sent away from our town millennia ago by forces unknown.” The man frowned, anger oozing from every pour. “You, user of santoryu—the ultimate style of our former lives—you were supposed to herald our second coming and return our power to us!”
 
“Your writers chose the wrong leading man.” Zoro joked. “Either fight me or leave! I don't want to hear anymore of your bullshit!”
 
“I should have known.” He smiled evilly. “The prophecy never said that you would hand it over easily. You probably have your own uses for the stone, don't you?” He pointed his sword forward, the ground beneath him exploding as he launched off. The sword began glowing a deep crimson hue. “Then prepare to face Eehuah the crystal sword—and his guardian, Ian of the Iso-jin!”
 
Lowering his neck and crossing his arms, all three of Zoro's katanas crossed and blocked Ian's assault. The green-haired swordsman pushed back, and then ducked low as he rushed in. Waving his arms and weaving his neck, the three swords moved like lightning as he attacked relentlessly. Yet, the mysterious fighter's defense was just as good. His rapid swipes and pinpoint precision fended off all three of Zoro's weapons with only just that one deranged-looking sword.
 
`He's good,' Zoro thought as he ducked beneath a swipe. `All the better. It's been far too long since I've had a good fight!'
 
Ian smiled. `He can fend off Eehuah's attacks. Just as I would have expected. But not even Roronoa Zoro can survive the power of this weapon!'
 
The crystal swordsman pushed himself into the air, raising his weapon far above his head. It illuminated the semi-dark sky, growing even lighter. “Crimson Blade!” Ian cried, swiping the blade in front of him. The glowing beam of light shot off, heading straight towards Zoro.
 
The swordsman's eyes grew wide. He tucked his head low and crossed both arms, sticking his swords behind his back. The blade grew close, but just before the strip of energy hit, Zoro raised his head and swung his arms with lightning fast speed. The force of the three katanas blew the crimson blade apart, making it nothing but red sparkles floating behind him.
 
As Ian touched down on the ground, he could already see Zoro taking another stance. He flipped the blade in his left hand so that all three blades faced in the same direction. This time he took off with super-human speed. Streaks followed his katanas as he charged forward.
 
“ONI GIRI!” Zoro announced.
 
Ian's eyes grew wide as he realized he wouldn't be able to parry in time. “SHIELD!” He cried. His sword again glew as that familiar crimson energy formed a wall on its owner's side.
 
Roronoa Zoro streaked right past the shield, coming to a stop several feet behind it. His knees buckled beneath him, and he could feel the strain on the muscles in his arms. Tearing through that shield was tough! And tear through it he did; only seconds later the energy abruptly dispersed, revealing a stunned Ian. Three long slashes lined his side and arm horizontally. Both warriors seemed hurt.
 
“Giving up already?” Zoro asked, slowly turning as he moved his focus away from the useless pain and back to the battle. Ian wiped blood off of his sleeve, returning his gaze to his opponent.
 
“Of course not.” He smiled. “Luminescent Whip!” Energy burst forth from Eehuah, staying attached and instead slithering around to Zoro. Ian had created a whip.
 
Zoro wasted no time in leaping into the air. The leap put him well above roof-level, but the whip only seemed to catch up to him. The swordsman quickly somersaulted, pointing his head straight towards the ground. He crossed all three of his blades. The whip connected only with the katanas, and Zoro began to spin like a top. Using the whip as his track and his blades as wheels, Zoro span his way down the energy whip like a roller-coaster car.
 
As he reached the end Zoro flipped to his side, swinging the sword in his mouth straight towards Ian's head. The crystal swordsman never flinched as he chomped down, catching the deadly metal bar between his teeth. Drawing his hand back, the luminescent whip collided with Zoro's midsection, sending him tumbling across the city streets. As he returned to his feet a huge red slash could be seen on his chest, dripping blood down what was left of his white shirt. He didn't seem to notice. All he cared about was his sword, still held blade first between his enemy's teeth.
 
“No you won't! Not with that sword!” Zoro seemed to explode, moving faster than even he had thought possible. Within seconds he appeared at Ian's chest, already past his defenses. “Demonic Cross!” He cried as hurled his two remaining swords forward. Two scars—forming an `x'—were instantly left on the swordsman's stomach. The sword fell from Ian's mouth as he coughed up blood. Leaping into the air, Zoro caught the katana in his jaws and kicked off the injured warrior's head, landing behind him.
 
“And that's that.” Zoro sighed, moving to sheath his weapons.
 
“N-Not yet.” Ian coughed, climbing back to his feet. In only an instant he seemed to regain his second wind, spinning and swinging his sword. Red wind blew off it, blowing Zoro's shirt off and him backwards. Digging his feet into the ground the green-haired fighter stopped himself. Thrusting his weapons forward, Zoro charged him.
 
Ian leaped into the air half-heartedly. He knew the possessor of the Iso Toa would have to be extraordinary powerful, but this was absurd! There was only one more way to win, even if it did mean using all of his energy!
 
“Oh great Eehuah, I call upon your power and that of your mother Iso Toa!” Ian screamed, suddenly levitating. Floating higher into the air, Eehuah's glow blocked out the sky. Zoro grunted. This explained a lot. That sword was somehow related to the Titan's stone! Perhaps this Ian knew how to properly use the Stone of Iso Toa! Unfortunately, it looked like he had already passed up any opportunity to be an ally.
 
“EEHUAH EXPLOSION!” Ian hollered, thrusting the weapon below him with all his might. Every last drop of energy in the sword launched itself forward, straight towards Zoro. The swordsman took a stance, but then quickly realized that there was no way for him to cut through this sort of attack. Leaping into the air, he turned tail and ran.
 
“NO!” Zoro exclaimed. “I can't die this way!”
 
“That's right!” Another voice called. Zoro turned to see Tashigi standing behind him. Finally conscious, she had gathered her sword and was gallantly facing the billowing mass of explosive crimson energy heading towards her. “Only I am allowed to take Roronoa Zoro's life!”
 
The attack grew only fractions of an inch away from Tashigi. She raised her sword above her head, swiping at the energy. Hitting her sword and the ground, the Eehuah Explosion exploded, of course. Zoro was blown off his feet and smashed into a building behind him. He was fine, but if he had taken that attack face on he would be…
 
“TASHIGI!” Zoro cried. She couldn't be dead! It would be like losing her all over again! As the crimson smoke cleared, the green-haired swordsman could hear hysterical laughing.
 
“Do you have a thing for her?” Ian asked. He was carrying an unconscious Tashigi in his arms. “Then I won't kill her—or you. Perhaps a hostage will make you hand the great power over!” The crystal swordsman leaped into the air, landing on the edge of a building. “I'll be back for the great power soon! If you value your life, you'll give it to me then!” He leaped backwards, out of Zoro's line of vision.
 
Zoro couldn't believe it. Why hadn't he tried to take the stone now?
 
 
 
Raven started to levitate into the air, ready to follow that fiend and rescue Tashigi. However, that's when she heard a grunt from Zoro. The swordsman collapsed to his knees, clutching the wound on his chest.
 
Frozen for a second, she admired the warrior's chiseled abs and biceps. Only a moment later she jumped, realizing that she couldn't feel that way. She couldn't let her emotions through…not with the consequences it always had for her!
 
Putting the thought out of her head, the Teen Titan floated to her ally's side.
 
 
 
Once he was several blocks away, Ian fell to one knee. Tashigi fell from his arms, rolling a few feet away on the high rooftop. The crystal swordsman was breathing heavily, speckles of blood still falling from his open mouth.
 
How he wished he could have put an end to that bastard's life back there! Roronoa Zoro was nothing like he expected—Ian had wished for a savior, and gotten an insanely strong enemy! If only he could have killed him back there, if only he could have ended it and taken back the great power!
 
But it couldn't be done. He just didn't have it in him. Making the best of it, he had taken Tashigi hostage. Ian wasn't satisfied with the plan, however, and he certainly didn't plan on carrying it out. Zoro would die, one way or another—even if he had to take them both out to do it.
 
“I hope you're ready for a manhunt, father.” He gasped under his breath.
 
 
 
Zoro dropped his weapons and instead focused on struggling to his feet. He couldn't make it, however, and fell onto his back. The green-haired swordsman could do nothing but lie there, clutching the wound on his chest and gasping for air. It shouldn't hurt that much! This wound was nothing compared to the one Hawkeye had given him!
 
Then it hit him. It wasn't the swordsman at all. Ian was fairly skilled, to be sure, but he was nothing without that sword. Eehuah was the real danger here; it was its magical abilities that made the wound hurt so badly. He wondered just what connection it had to that stone. Perhaps it would be best left unknown. Ian would have to be fought again—no matter what—so wouldn't it be better if the Titans simply took it back with them and it was never spoken of again?
 
“Don't move.” Raven said, appearing besides Zoro and placing two gray-skinned hands on his chest. He nearly jumped, startled out of his thoughts by the gothic hero's arrival. Her energy flowed into him, and the wound down Zoro's chest receded.
 
“That's the best I can do.” She sighed, wiping the sweat from her forehead. “You're not 100% yet, but at least it won't scar.”
 
“Scars?” Zoro asked. He nodded down to his chest. “I care nothing of scars.” Gasping, Raven noticed a deep scar running diagonally across Zoro's entire chest.
 
“What did you do?” Raven asked.
 
“That is simply what happens when one fights the best swordsman in the world.” Was Zoro's simple reply. He pulled his weapons off the ground, sheathing all three of his swords. However, he didn't bother to remove his bandanna.
 
“If Tashigi is here, it means Captain Smoker's forces are here and after Luffy,” Zoro told her, turning his head back for a brief moment. “We should get going now; the fighting is just beginning.” He started walking back to the docks.
 
A smile crossed Raven's face. She had seen Zoro's passion, and felt the deep care and angst within his soul. Yet, he now hid his emotions, trying to be the tough guy. Yup, she had been right about this Zoro all along—he was another soul just like her.
 
Now as for why Zoro fought with so much passion…this she planned to find out one way or another. Unlike an open book such as Luffy, there seemed to be tons to learn about Roronoa Zoro. What an intriguing prospect to keep her entertained on a boat full of annoyances.
 
“Wait up.” Raven said. Hovering over to Zoro, she raised her arms. A veil of darkness started crawling up the two warriors. “I can get us there much faster.”
 
Next Time: Legendary Rivalry—Marines and Pirates…fight!