One Piece Fan Fiction / Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Cruise ❯ Unwilling Puppets - The X-Factor ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own One Piece, Teen Titans, or any characters or elements contained within. I believe these can be credited to the geniuses Eiichiro Oda [author and artist of OP], Marv Wolfman and George Perez [respective author and artist of The New Teen Titans comic of the eighties], and Glen Murakami and his talented crew [the staff of the Teen Titans animated series, the Titans version which this story is based off.] Thanks for developing these wonderful characters I have the pleasure of using in this story!
 
Any original characters—and now I'm just filling empty space—belong to Pivitor. Remember it!
 
OOC: It's been a while since I've said thanks guys, so…thanks!
 
Neil, Cyborg hadn't actually heard of Nami in their world. It was hyperbole, and playful banter. No doubt one of the other Straw Hats mentioned it.
 
Anyway, the term “X-Factor” refers to a term used by Rehabilitation Clinics (at least ones on “Family Guy”) for the factor that interferes with their everyday lives that turns them to drugs. The use of X-Factor in this title refers to the factors changing Slade's plans. Before it was Luffy, now it's….[Read to find out, sillies]
 
 
The Ultimate Cruise:
One Piece meets Teen Titans
 
Chapter 11: Unwilling Puppets—The X-Factor
 
The old woman stood stoically at the bridge of the ship. A tiny red shard of rock was attached to a chain around her neck; she gripped it tightly in her wrinkled hands, keeping her eyes shut as the energy from it flowed through her body.
 
“Left, Ivan.” She commanded. “There should be an island there with the entrance to a cave right on the beach. This is where we'll find the great power.”
 
The younger man nodded, spinning the wheel to the Ehever. The massive stone ship turned and continued to chug along its new path. Within minutes the island could be found.
 
“You were right Mother…as always.” Ivan smiled. With a couple skillful maneuvers of the ship's controls he had docked the massive vessel besides the tiny island. “So now Mother, what are our commands?”
 
Mother slipped the fragment she wore around her neck back into her blouse. “I already gave the details of your plan to your Armada leaders. All you have to do is make sure that you separate the Iso-jin from the others, and whatever you do, do NOT leave the path to the right!”
 
Ivan only looked confused. “You want us to split up? But I thought you had plans for these children.”
 
“Do you doubt your Mother, Ivan?” the old woman asked. Her subordinate jumped a bit, quickly shaking his head no. “I can see the future my son. Have you forgotten that? Those children will be most useful to us…as our enemies.”
 
 
 
The side of the Ehever again scrolled open, a long red plank extending from the ship and onto the tiny isle's beach. A huge troop filed down the walkway and onto the sand.
 
“Yeah, Slade's definitely here.” Robin reaffirmed, kicking at the stolen Marine lifeboat docked on the shore. “Knowing his love of dark places, there's no doubt that he's in the cave.”
 
Ivan approached the group of heroes. “Exactly my thought as well. Don't worry—with our combined forces, he'll go down quick. Then we can get you home and save our island.”
 
As the last of the at least four dozen Iso-jin soldiers left the ship, two figures marched to the old man.
 
“Armada Leader Tank reporting fer duty, sir!” The giant soldier announced.
 
“Armada Leader Swifty too, sir!” His smaller friend added.
 
Starfire gasped at the sight of her new friends. “Friends! You did not tell me you were the leaders of the army!”
 
Both soldiers hung their heads a bit, a sad look sweeping across their face. “Aye, miss…we, we didn't want yous to think us braggers.” Tank finally answered.
 
“How considerate of them.” Nami sighed, sending a piercing glare towards their resident braggart, Usopp.
 
“What do you mean by that?” Usopp exclaimed, jumping backwards and then pointing towards their navigator. “Everything I say is true!” The second that statement left his mouth, eleven figures hit the ground in hysterical laughter.
 
The sharpshooter continued to praise himself, adding to the platter of comedy he had served to his companions. Ivan only looked at the teenagers in disdain, but the two soldiers behind him both seemed amused. However, after a few seconds of watching they both backed a bit, the sad look again returning to their faces.
 
“Father! Get them moving!” Ian called from the mouth of the cave. The Titans and Straw Hats started to collect themselves, slowly rising to their feet and slowly following the swordsman's call. “I need your opinion on this place!”
 
The entire massive ménage of soldiers, pirates, and heroes entered the cave, trekking into the darkness fearlessly—sans Usopp and the sounds his clattering knees created. A joint in Cyborg's blue shoulder popped open, and a flashlight on the underside quickly illuminated the cavern. Now that they could see where they were going, their journey didn't take much longer. Finally, they reached a fork in the path.
 
“See father?” Ian asked, moving his arms back and forth between the four tunnels. “How do we know which way to go?”
 
“Easy.” The old man smiled. “Cyborg, may I ask you to shut off your light?” Nodding, the light on the Titan's shoulder darkened itself. With the shadows returning to their rightful place, it could be seen that a red tint shone from two of the tunnels. “Just as I thought. The great power's light shows us how to find it.”
 
“But there's light in two tunnels.” Luffy noticed. “Are there two stones now?” Everybody collapsed.
 
Regaining his composure, Ivan just shook his head. “Of course not boy. Both these tunnels simply lead to the same place. However, who knows if there could be traps on them. I propose we split up—I take the Iso-jin in the right tunnel, and you twelve take the left?”
 
“I don't see why not.” Robin replied, raising a masked eyebrow despite his response.
 
“Then I guess this is where we part ways.” Ian laughed as the Iso-jin entered the right tunnel. The teen drew his sword, its red light completely lighting the path before them. “Roronoa Zoro! Don't trip!”
 
“Something is fishy here.” Zoro grumbled as they entered their tunnel as well. “And it isn't just that bastard's smell.”
 
Chopper stopped for a second, sniffing the air. “But Ian doesn't smell like fish,” the reindeer said. “He smells more of cheap cologne to me.”
 
“Don't you known an insult when you hear one?!” Zoro yelled, kicking at the doctor. He ran to the front of the group, jumping up Nami's back and stopping on her shoulder, trembling.
 
“He's right though.” Raven continued. “This is beyond suspicious.”
 
“But what other choice do we have right now?” Beast Boy asked in frustration. “If we beat up Slade and try to leave without them, we'll be stuck without a boat—or we'll have to steal theirs. But if we try to go along with it, they go all Benedict Arnold on us! Either way we're screwed!”
 
“Then we just keep walking forward.” Robin decided. “BB's right—we're stuck. There's nothing left to do but see what happens next.”
 
 
 
Mother stood on the ship's deck, watching in pleasure as her pawns disappeared into the cave. The door behind her opened as Chiyu emerged.
 
“You called Mother?” the healer asked, leaning on the railings besides her leader. “What do you desire of me?”
 
“With all of us gone, you're highest in command.” Mother reminded her. Then, without finishing her thought, the old woman walked towards the door. “Wait three hours. If we are not back by then, take the ship and return home.”
 
Chiyu gasped. “But why? Do you think they will not return alive? What about Ian?!”
 
Pausing for a second at the door, Mother turned back towards the younger woman. “That isn't for you to know yet. Just do as I say.” And with that, the imposing old woman disappeared into her ship.
 
`Now it's time for my part.' Mother thought, smiling as she headed into the bowels of the vessel. `I've missed being a part of the action.'
 
 
 
The masked menace paced back and forth swiftly, exchanging quick glances between his beloved stone and the viewscreen that kept tab on his visitors. Suddenly—with as much speed as his pace had contained—Slade stopped. The terrorist's eye was locked on his sensor. Then without even a gleeful snicker he grasped a lever on his belt—his finger looming ominously over a button on top of the lever.
 
“Finally, they've come far enough.” In one decisive motion his finger fell onto the button. Chaotic symbols scattered across the viewscreen. Stealing one more wistful glance at his handiwork, Slade then turned to the Iso Toa. “It won't be long now. Soon your power will be put to work. I'm sure you're more than ready for the tasks ahead of you. Your ultimate power will be my greatest tool!”
 
 
 
The tiny troop of heroes continued their long journey, led only by a dim red trail and the light from Cyborg. As they progressed, they were continually distracted by the mysterious water leaking from the roof, or the faint sound of something rumbling. Perhaps it was bats?
 
Another shriek echoed down the tunnel, sending shivers up Nami's spine. “This place gives me the creeps.” she complained, actually leaning against Sanji for support. Hearts blossomed from the cook's ears, and his love-struck body started to wobble. So much for a good support.
 
“What a witch.” Zoro grumbled, cutting his eyes at the couple. “She's just using him, like she does everybody.”
 
Terra laughed. “Whatever gets her through it. At least I'm not scared stiff of the dark.” Disgruntled sighs could be heard coming from Beast Boy and Usopp behind her. However, the sniper's head perked up an instant later.
 
“Exactly!” Usopp exclaimed. “The shadows are nothing to Captain Usopp! I once defeated 100 warriors in a dark cavern just like this, using only the light from my explosives to see!”
 
“Really?!” Chopper gasped, his tiny eyes wide in awe. “You sure are incredible, Usopp!”
 
However, the real captain only scratched his head for a few seconds. “Usopp?” he asked, “How did you do all this if you never even left your home island before you joined my crew?”
 
The liar blushed as his friends burst into endless laughter around him once again.
 
“I do not get it.” Starfire said. She was the only one not laughing. “Was he partaking in the telling of lies, or did he fall into a portal to the dark cave?”
 
Now the laughter was replaced by moans. Usopp's far out lies were one thing, but somebody actually believed them?
 
“It's okay, Star-kun!” Sanji exclaimed, dragging Nami along as he swept Starfire into his other arm. “I'll explain it to you!”
 
With an uneasy chuckle, the Tamaranian slowly moved her suitor's arm aside and floated across the tunnel. “Do not worry, I will be fine not understanding.”
 
Robin smiled, laughing slightly under his breath. That was his Starfire; no other man could have her. However, his joy was short-lived as his ears suddenly perked; what was that ticking noise?
 
“Uh…does anybody else hear any ticking?”
 
Before he could even receive an answer, Robin and the others were knocked back by a tremendous explosion. The entire ceiling above them crumbled, as did the walls; rocks rained down on the heroes. The ground shook beneath them, but fortunately didn't collapse.
 
Yellow energy exploded around Terra as the Earth-mover rushed into action, thrusting her arms to the side in an attempt to shield her friends. However, even her miraculous powers were not perfect; as Terra caught several more craters to one side, Starfire noticed a few more falling to the other side!
 
Realizing there wasn't time her companion to intercept them, the alien girl dashed forward, green balls of energy sparking to life on each of her hands. With a mighty scream she shot the Starbolts forward, crushing the boulders into pebbles.
 
“Thanks for the help Star!” Terra yelled, sweeping her arm again to catch more stones. Raven too joined the action as her veil of darkness overtook more stone.
 
Starfire smiled happily, happy to have helped. “No problem friend! I am happy I was able to be of…”
 
“LOOK OUT!” a voice cried. The Tamaranian cut her sentence short and looked up to see a huge boulder—nearly the width of half the tunnel—falling straight towards her. A vicious beam from the alien's eyes split the rock in half, but it didn't stop it from hitting her. The Starbeam disappeared as Starfire tumbled to the ground, the boulder not far behind. The impact of it all blew open the ground—Starfire was now careening into a black pit beneath them all.
 
“STARFIRE!” Robin screamed, dashing forwards.
 
“STAR-KUN!” Sanji cried, abandoning his Nami-san and instead dashing to the rescue as well.
 
The girl's two suitors both ran towards the horrific pit. Each was frantic over their friend's fate, but as they noticed each other it also instinctively became a competition—a trait all men share.
 
As they reached the edge of the crumbling ground, both warriors pushed off and into the dark abyss. However, Sanji's superior leg strength gave him an advantage—the ground exploded behind him as he pushed off, instantly disappearing. It was almost as if he was swallowed by the shadows. Robin wasn't far behind, but it seemed that the gap in their strength was just enough to put a wrench in the teen's plans.
 
Explosives went off all behind them, rolling down the wall, floor and ceiling in rapid fire blasts. Rocks barraged the Boy Wonder from all directions, knocking him backwards as he was still in mid-jump. Raven and Terra frantically moved to stop the new projectiles, but even they were not strong enough to stretch their power onto so many different objects in such a chaotic situation. They both screamed as their grasp on the rocks dissipated.
 
With no defense left all the boulders now collapsed. Dodging between one, Monkey D. Luffy pushed off, jumping towards his friends. He may not have been able to stop the rocks, but he could still protect his friends!
 
“Rubber…”
 
 
 
The Iso-jin were making excellent progress. Perfect lines of soldiers were marching steadily behind their four leaders, with not a word spoken between them. However, even their flawless procession was stopped in its tracks when the cavern started to rumble.
 
“The old broad was right.” Tank gasped, having been informed as to what was happening next.
 
Ian, however, was not so well-informed. “What's going on?!” he cried, slowly stepping backwards as he held his sword before him, ready to meet any challengers. However, before he could meet his unseen opponent, blasts detonated across the entire tunnel. Just as with the Straw Hats and the Titans, rocks fell and walls crumbled.
 
“Shield!” the teen commanded, swiping his sword as the boulders came tumbling down. Red light exploded from the crystal blade, forming a bubble-like barrier of energy between the Iso-jin and the rocks. As the tremors and the falling stones finally ended, the crimson shield retreated back into Eehuah.
 
As the group of warriors stared at the damage they noticed that one entire wall had been completely desecrated, revealing a second tunnel much further underground.
 
“We're lucky this tunnel wasn't above that one.” Ivan told them, giving it a distasteful glance before turning forward once more. “Come, my troops. Now I'm going to really enjoy seeing this miscreant beaten.”
 
“Sorry, sir.” Swifty quickly replied, looking down nervously. “This is where wes part ways. Mother's plans, yous know.”
 
As Swifty and Tank both slid down the embankment that was just blown out of the wall, Ivan simply stared on. It sure seemed like a strange thing to do, but who was he to doubt Mother's master plan?
 
The two Iso-jin Armada Commanders disappeared into the darkness of the new tunnel.
 
 
The timer on his viewscreen hit 00:30:00.
 
“Finally, half an hour has passed.” Slade said to himself. “No doubt she's near the large cavern by now. Time to go pick up my present.”
 
“Not so fast!” a voice called from the other side of the room. Slade turned his head, his eye stopping upon Ivan, Ian, and the Iso-jin army standing in an entrance to the cavern.
 
“So, I have visitors.” Slade mused, turning the rest of his body to meet the intruders. “I'm assuming you're here for the stone?”
 
Ivan stepped forward, brushing dirt from the explosion off of his pants as he did so. “Of course. The Great Power belonged to us before you were even born. Hand it over now and we'll make your death quick and painless.”
 
The masked man laughed, moving his legs akimbo as he raised his arms into a stance. “The path I've chosen does not allow for such a death. Of course, that doesn't matter, because I won't die here today!”
 
“So be it.” Ivan spat, his face like stone. He stepped to the side; barely even waiting for his father's evacuation of the spot Ian stormed past, Eehuah glowing in his hand.
 
A bloodthirsty grin was pasted across the teen's face as he charged Slade. That man was the only obstacle blocking the Iso-jin's goal of restoring Ianoa Island to glory—Ian wasn't going to let him walk away from this!
 
His Herculean swing could probably have sliced steel; unfortunately for Ian, the target he had intended flipped right over the assault. As one of Slade's feet landed on top of the crystal sword, the other span into the back of Ian's neck. The fiend used this momentum to hurl himself backwards and out of the path of the swordsman's clumsy retaliatory attack.
 
Watching his opponent prance about like that infuriated Ian. With a mighty scream the Iso-jin warrior leaped into the air, pulling Eehuah behind his back.
 
“Crimson Blade!” he cried as he sliced thin air. A thin blade of crimson energy leaped off, shocking even the normally complacent Slade. He quickly dropped to the ground, rolling under the projectile. However, his foot was a little close to the blade; as Slade returned to his feet, he staggered. Just a slight touch from that thing had sliced the side of his foot open!
 
“That's right you bastard, let's see how you like this!” cried Ian as he span, launching another Crimson Blade into the fray. Using all his strength Slade leaped far above it, pulling out his staff as he flipped through the air. This time, however, Ian was prepared for his arrival. This next swing wouldn't miss—so it was deflected instead. Slade's staff slammed against the sword's side, the masked villain's superior strength pushing Eehuah aside. Taking advantage of the opening he had created the terrorist dashed past, striking Ian with his staff as he did so.
 
Blood leaked from the teen's mouth as he stumbled forward, but with all their years of work on the line he wasn't going to give up now! Ian swung again, grazing Slade. The villain sprawled backwards, drops of blood trickling from the thin cut on his stomach. If he had just been a little closer, that could have been the end of it all!
 
Still, this created an advantage for Slade. Hope flashed in Ian's eyes as he realized this would be the time to finish it! The frustrated Iso-jin moved with all his speed, but his opponent was prepared for such a cocky reaction. Again he parried with his staff, pushing Eehuah to the ground and using the force to leap high into the air.
 
Slade soared straight above his opponent. Leaning back he hurled his staff to the ground, and Ian just didn't have the time to move. He could only watch in horror as the end of the staff planted itself right on top of his hand. Eehuah fell and span across the battlefield as Ian fell to his knees, trembling. Slade now landed and grabbed his staff, pulling it from the boy's hand. With a muted gasp Ian collapsed backwards.
 
“Now for my prize.” said Slade ominously as he slowly walked towards Eehuah. Ivan intercepted him, standing between the relic and the villain.
 
“Not so fast.” Ivan growled. A clasp on the top of his bulky red shirt began to glow slightly. “You still won't survive this.”
 
“Stand down my son.” With an incredible gasp Ivan turned to see Mother stroll into the room. She was dragging Tashigi's unconscious body by the arm. “There's been a change in plans.”
 
Hacking again, Ian finally climbed back onto his wobbly feet. “Why—why did you bring Tashigi here?” he managed to gasp.
 
“She's useful to us. Everything else will be revealed, that I promise.” Mother smiled. She hobbled towards Slade, extending a hand. “I'm Mother, the founder of these Iso-jin.”
 
“Why should I care?” Slade growled.
 
“You should care because I know more about that stone than anybody.” she said firmly. “Do you really think you can harvest enough energy to properly use the Great Power?”
 
The masked terror chuckled slightly. “I can do anything when I put my mind to it, but I'm guessing you have a better way?”
 
“Of course.” Mother pulled several small crystals—attached to chains—from her blouse. “These collect any energy a human uses against it. If we wear them and are attacked, say by your enemies the Teen Titans or their friends—”
 
“We'll all have more than enough energy to share the Great Power!” Ivan finished for her. “Is this why we had those kids go the other way, why we betrayed them?”
 
“They were only puppets my son.”
 
“Then why not fight me as well?” Slade asked. “I'm sure we'd both rather not share that power.”
 
Mother returned the crystals to their rightful place. “Those crystals come with us, I'm afraid. As for your part in all of this…I once ate a Devil's Fruit known as Yoken Yoken. Long story short, it lets me see the future, and the future says your unique skills will be quite useful to us.”
 
Slade raised an eyebrow. “I see, but before we can consider this alliance more I have somebody to pick up.” He walked towards a tunnel on the far side of the room. “It seems I need a certain sort of energy to return home.”
 
Tapping her head, Mother smiled. “Believe me, I know. In fact, I've already sent some friends ahead to fetch her for you. Consider it our getting to know you gift.”
 
 
 
With a soft moan, Starfire finally got to her feet. The Tamaranian shook her head, trying to rid it of the pain she felt.
 
“Star-kun! You're up!” Sanji exclaimed. The cook had been sitting by a tiny fire fiddling with his cigarette, but now he leaped to his feet like a frog. “I'm so glad you're okay!”
 
“What happened?” Starfire asked, looking around at the dark surroundings. “The last thing that I remember was a large stone falling straight at me.”
 
Sanji's smile dropped as the memories flooded back. “I leaped to rescue you, but we were separated from the others sadly.” Shaking his head, he kicked at some holes in the ground. “You've been out for a good while. I had to dig up some roots and start a fire with my cigarette lighter.”
 
“How clever!” smiled Star; however, just a second later her happy demeanor fled. “But what about our friends? What about Robin?”
 
Sanji couldn't stop staring into her eyes. They were always one of her best features, but now something different burned in them. It was a beautiful passion, a light of intense desire. Sanji had seen it in her eyes before—every time she spoke of Robin.
 
“You really like Robin, don't you?” the cook laughed with a crooked grin.
 
“Of course I do! Robin is my friend!”
 
Ash fell to the ground as Sanji shook his head, trying to hold his laughter in. “No, no. I mean, don't you really like him?”
 
Starfire blushed, before finally responding with a slow nod.
 
The memory of Robin jumping right in that pit after her flashed through the chef's mind. They both felt the same way; who was he to interfere with true love?
 
“He went in after you too.” Sanji admitted. He wasn't going to at first, but he realized that she would be much happier with her Robin then with him—and if you like a girl, what's the point of letting her be sad? “The rocks knocked him back though.”
 
“Of course! We must reunite with our friends!”
 
“And when we do,” Sanji commanded, “You have to tell Robin how you feel. You've got to take the first move! That's how you get what you want you know—how do you think I got Nami-san?”
 
“Nami is yours?” Starfire asked, cocking her head in confusion.
 
Sanji growled. “Be nice. I don't do something like this often.”
 
“Of course.” Starfire blushed. “I shall talk to him. Thanks, Sanji-kun.” Sanji sighed; she only called him `kun' now that he couldn't have her. What luck.
 
The beautiful girl held her hand in the air; a green Starbolt came to life at the end, illuminating the entire tunnel. She floated ahead of her companion. “Come. I shall lead the way.”
 
So the former stalker and stalkee finally became friends as they ventured to reunite with their friends. The joy made the journey seem quick, so seconds barely seemed to pass before they reached the end of the tunnel. The two now found themselves inside a titanic cavern with lit torches lining the wall.
 
“Somebody went through a lot of trouble.” Sanji observed. “It looks like a coliseum.”
 
Starfire's eyes, however, ignored the room as they instead landed upon two figures walking towards them. “Friends! What are you doing here?”
 
Tank and Swifty were side by side, walking towards them from the center of the colossal room. Neither looked happy—in fact, if one looked closely enough a tear might be found in their eyes.
 
“Wes sorry,” Tank growled, “But wes ain't friends no more!”
 
Next Time: Half-Hearted Betrayal—An Unholy Alliance is Born