One Piece Fan Fiction / Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Cruise ❯ Slade's Apprentice - Begin the Final Confrontation! ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own One Piece, Teen Titans, or any characters or elements contained within. I believe these can be credited to the geniuses Eiichiro Oda [author and artist of OP], Marv Wolfman and George Perez [respective author and artist of The New Teen Titans comic of the eighties], and Glen Murakami and his talented crew [the staff of the Teen Titans animated series, the Titans version which this story is based off.] Thanks for developing these wonderful characters I have the pleasure of using in this story!
 
Any original characters, however, belong to Pivitor. Remember it!
 
 
The Ultimate Cruise:
One Piece meets Teen Titans
 
Chapter 16: Slade's Apprentice—Begin the Final Confrontation!
 
With a soft thud, the green-skinned creature fell from the perch of his bunk-bed to the debris-littered floor beneath him. He moaned weakly as he pulled himself onto his feet, quickly swiping at his disheveled hair for a second before deeming it presentable. On the other side of the room a tiny reindeer sat on the floor, a variety of mixtures strewn about him, all seemingly pulled from the pink backpack that lay open next to him. However, he was only concerned with the three yellow orbs that lay directly before him. Upon the beckoning of his green-hued companion he gathered his items and quickly scurried from the room.
 
The grey-skinned girl, however, stood alone in her room. Candles flickered faintly around her as she draped her cloak around her tiny shoulders, clasping it shut before she finally pulled its hood over her head—instantly covering her beautiful-yet-somber face in frightening shadows. Then she was gone, fading into the ground beneath her in a puddle of black.
 
Meanwhile, the navigator stood by a large window, propping herself with her staff as she gazed upon the peaceful waves of the ocean. However, as a wave crashed upon the shore she tightened the grip she had on her weapon—no matter what, she would do something to help today!
 
It was unknown if the same sentiment was shared by a wide-eyed blonde as she stared into her mirror. Her reflection offered an expression with feelings so mixed you'd think they had been run through a blender. However, she quickly came to a decision, grabbing her goggles from her dresser as she passed through the automatic doors into the hall.
 
Papers flew from their homes pinned on the wall as the boy flipped through the air, pulling off several acrobatic feats before landing. A primal growl crept from his throat as he picked up one of the papers he had knocked loose from the wall—a face on it kept staring back with one haunting eye. The boy pinned it back onto the wall—where it was accompanied by several dozen more sharing similar subjects—and headed towards the door, pausing only long enough to grab his fully-restocked belt.
 
The chef stood where he belonged—in the kitchen—his knife rapidly dicing through layers of eggs and meat. He was already dressed in the finest of attire, though its elegance didn't match his current disposition; the cook's face could be mistaken for one of a zombie as he screamed at the boy in the straw hat. That rubberman, meanwhile, screamed in return, his cries for meat echoing throughout the tower. However, whatever effort he put forth was in vain; the more the boy wailed, the more indignant the chef became. This food, he insisted, was for a lady.
 
And that it was, as the cook pushed the plate down the counter to the delighted alien girl. Her green eyes lit up—in a non-lethal way—as she proceeded to gobble down the food like a ravenous wolf—or, daresay, like the very rubberman who desired her meal?
 
The smell of simmering meat finally aroused the green-haired warrior into consciousness. As he tried to pull himself upright, he realized his body was weighted down—and rightfully so, as in both hands and his mouth rested tremendous barbells. Finally rising to his feet, he swung them about a bit before abruptly dropping them, opting instead to head for his breakfast.
 
The force of several hundred pounds hitting the floor set the liar's explosives ablaze; he paid it no mind as he wiped the ash from his dark face and gathered up the inventions he deemed worthy to accompany him into this final battle. His beloved slingshot was the last, and afterwards he snapped his bag shut and headed towards breakfast.
 
However, there wasn't time. The doors opened, and their spiky-haired leader walked through. It didn't take more then one firm gesture to get them all up and out the door. The final hour was close-at-hand.
 
They were prepared for that trip, for certain. At the base of the newly renovated vehicle slept a tiny mechanic, exhausted by the night's work. The other mechanic, however, seemed undaunted as he pulled a plug from his chest, easily tossing it aside. As his teammates entered the room, he smiled and flashed them his sensors: 100% they read. From the other side of the marina came another nod of approval from a blue-clad hero, water dripping from him. Everything was clear.
 
“Okay then!” the leader exclaimed. “It's time to go!”
 
 
 
Aqualad swam ahead of the T-Sub, leading the way to Slade's underwater lair. However, it might be thought he was trying not to be seen with the atrocity; the need for swift modifications hadn't left the submarine looking its best. Seven new cockpits accompanied the five original, but these were makeshift, easily standing out to even the most ignorant of people.
 
“How much further?” Robin requested over their intercom. Though the boy wonder's patience had always been thin, it seemed to be even on shorter supply today. After all, today was a day he had been waiting for what seemed like forever.
 
“Just a few more feet and it should be in view.” Aqualad replied, kicking mightily as his mastery of the sea allowed him to easily keep up with a submarine.
 
The figures within that vessel bristled, all responding differently to the thought of their upcoming confrontation.
 
Starfire swallowed the lump in her throat. “So, then this is really the end? I mean, all there is left to do is—”
 
“Go in there and kick all their asses!” Luffy exclaimed, pumping his arm in the air.
 
“Yes, but then what?” Star continued. “Must you return home?”
 
A silence fell upon the heroes; they had always been trying to return home, and return they must, but…after being with these friends for what seemed like such a long time, who wanted to go home?
 
“Um, you guys, sorry to break this up, but we're here.” Aqualad announced. The Straw Hats' and Teen Titans' attention was diverted to something of more imminent importance: the unmistakable cave entrance looming before them.
 
It was no surprise that Slade chose this place. While the rushed shots Aqualad had taken of the inside—showing turning gears and strange devices—was a telltale sign of Slade's presence, the outside showed another eerie side of his personality. The entrance of the cave was shaped like a distorted smile—although the villain's mask forever shrouded his face, it was easy to picture this expression pasted on his face as he taunted the Titans.
 
“This was easier then I thought it would be.” Sanji said. “You'd think a guy like this would have mermen or something waiting to attack us.”
 
“Um…actually…” Aqualad began, but his statement was brought to a halt by a shrieking siren going off in his ear.
 
Accompanying the alarm was several dozen strange bleeps on the radar. “It's a missile defense system!” Raven exclaimed.
 
“I'd rather have the mermen.” Sanji groaned.
 
Bubbles filled the water like a fog as the projectiles roared towards the T-Sub. “The T-Sub is too big to get through that!” Robin exclaimed. “We're going to have to separate!”
 
“Yes!” Usopp exclaimed. “Running away is definitely the best option here!”
 
“We can't!” interjected Cyborg. “We're lucky to have this thing up and running in one night! There wasn't enough time to install the separate option on the new cockpits! It's all together or not at all!”
 
Usopp's knees clattered even louder. “Then turn around! Turn around!”
 
“Enough!” Zoro exclaimed. “We can't turn around!” As the swordsman argued with his cowardly crewmate, Raven's eyes began glowing as she hoped to change the trajectory of the deadly field.
 
However, that was not needed. A sudden change in the water's current sent the missiles spiraling out of control.
 
“Go on you guys!” Aqualad commanded, his arms thrusted before him as he took control of the ocean around him. “I can hold these things back! Get inside!”
 
His fellow Titans saluted him as the T-Sub roared past. However, the Honorary Titan's job was not complete yet. As he turned his attention back to his adversaries, he was troubled to see that they had already righted themselves, and were now heading straight towards him!
 
“No you don't!” exclaimed Aqualad as he again thrusted his arms forward; the force not only sent him reeling backwards, but created a jet-current that blew through the missiles, detonating those that came in contact with it.
 
 
 
The T-Sub surfaced in a pool of water; the passageway through the twisted “mouth” of the cave led to a small grotto that was obviously the entrance to Slade's headquarters. Twelve visors popped open as the heroes leapt from the vessel and onto dry land again.
 
“I hope Aqualad is okay.” Starfire said, staring wistfully back in the direction of their friend.
 
“He'll be fine.” Raven began, her ears perking at a strange noise in the background. “We, however, still have a lot to worry about.”
 
“You mean like that strange marching sound in the distance?” Beast Boy asked.
 
The noise grew louder, and it was obvious that a large force was on the way.
 
“They sound like giant ants!” Usopp exclaimed, shaking. However, he quickly changed his tune. “Ha, they'll receive the same fate as that giant army of ants I fried with my Fire Star!”
 
Nobody paid the liar any mind as the army appeared on the horizon, proving to be exactly what the Titans expected: a force of Slade's minion robots.
 
“This is the worst invitation I've ever gotten!” Chopper cried, dashing behind Nami's legs.
 
“What did you expect?” Zoro asked as he pulled his bandanna from his arm. “We've known all along that this likely would be an invitation to death.”
 
“No,” growled Robin, “Slade's not trying to kill us yet. This is all a test, a game. He's playing with me—with us!” Then, without a moment's notice, the Boy Wonder burst forward in a hatred-driven dash, his staff shattering an entire line of robots. Their remains hadn't even hit the floor as he continued his frenzy, littering the air with battered gears and severed mechanical limbs.
 
Not needing his call of “Titans, Go!” to know this was time for action, the others followed suit, and in seconds the army had been obliterated. Unlike the earlier assault against the Iso-jin armada, this time no mercy was given. No punch was pulled, no respect for life was even considered; and while their opponents were robots, the expressions chiseled upon their faces showed that it would likely be the same no matter who their enemy was.
 
As the final dust from the short battle cleared, the twelve friends continued on in an unusual silence. This grotto only had one exit; a tremendous arch loomed before them, leading the heroes into a disturbing darkness.
 
Though you could hear his knees clattering, not even Usopp could come up with an objection as they entered into the next room and was instantly confronted with another pitfall. Literally, their path had ended. Before them lay nothing but a hole of endless black; ferocious enough that you might fear it would swallow up the light itself.
 
“Figures.” Robin snarled. “Of course he would have more traps.”
 
“Of course, Robin,” Slade replied, stepping out of the shadows. He stood on a cliff facing the group, directly across the gap. “Though I wouldn't expect this puny trap to be able to stop you. However, it worked wonders against your friend Aqualad.”
 
As the Boy Wonder's over-the-top growls drowned out the responses of his fellow allies, Slade's allies decided to make their appearance. Stepping from behind the madman, Mother, Ivan and Ian took their places besides Slade.
 
This time Zoro's screams of “Come over here and fight me bastard!” drowned out even Robin's hatred.
 
However, business had to be handled, and again the Boy Wonder's natural leadership abilities took the fore. “What do you want?! Why did you call us here?!”
 
“Come now Robin, certainly you must have figured that out by now.” Slade sighed. “My reasons have never changed all this time. Just like the Stone itself, just like Starfire's ability to take us home,” he paused as his eyebrow arched low, “Just as you as my apprentice, I need something you have.”
 
“We're not giving you anything!” Robin cried desperately; the cracking of Luffy's knuckles and the clank of Zoro's swords backed up his threat.
 
Slade, however, laughed heartily—a strange sight in itself. “You won't give me anything?” Robin nodded slowly, never letting his resolute expression waver. “Robin, you can't refuse me something that's already mine.”
 
“What?”
 
“Apprentice, come!”
 
Slade's command sent the twelve into silence. Slade's apprentice? Starfire sent a stunned glance in Robin's direction; it appeared he was there, but was he really? Had he fallen victim again? Both Zoro and Sanji had no idea what to expect, but crouched down low anyway; an ally of Slade's was an enemy to them—no matter what—and that meant a fight.
 
Robin's attention, however, was focused on a different part of that exchange. Something from them; something already his? Slade's apprentice?
 
Could it be?!
 
However, just as two and two finally put themselves together in the detective's mind, four presented itself anyway. A gloved hand pushed the Boy Wonder aside; a yellow flash floated the figure across the ravine and to her master's side.
 
“Wherever I go, disasters follow.” Terra sighed. It was her first night with the Titans; she and Beast Boy sat at the foot of the tower, waves washing upon their feet. “Landslides, earthquakes, bottomless pits…I'm a walking disaster. I can't control it!”
 
“What do you do then?” Her companion asked, his eyes wide.
 
“I move on.” She simply said. “I leave them behind, hope for the best in a new place.” Her depressed sighs quickly changed to a desperate question. “Beast Boy! Promise me! You can't tell anybody!”
 
“I promise.” Beast Boy replied firmly, his feelings for the new arrival outshining any safety issues. “I won't tell a soul.”
 
Her back still to her companions, the lone girl slowly strolled from her hovering rock. Her pace didn't pick up as the boulder tumbled into oblivion; the hearts of her companions weren't far behind.
 
“That was fantastic Terra!” Cyborg exclaimed; she had accompanied the five back to Titan's tower after another showdown with none other then Slade himself.
 
“Yeah, you did a good job.” Robin complimented. “But I noticed you had a little trouble controlling your power. Don't worry though, we can help you with that.”
 
The earth mover's jaw fell; her spirit was broken. “Beast Boy! You said you wouldn't tell!”
 
In an instant Terra had fled the tower, leaving the Titans to stare blankly; Beast Boy in particular looked crushed.
 
“Um…sorry?” Robin asked. “Honestly, it was just something I noticed.”
 
However, it was too late for Terra to hear apologies as she ran from the giant T. Unfortunately, she was not alone in her escape. One malevolent eye was keeping watch over the powerful new target.
 
She finally finished her fateful walk, arriving at the side of her master. She was small, barely reaching the man's shoulder, but the impression she was making couldn't be larger.
 
“We can't just let her join!” Raven objected. “You just can't say you've gotten control out of the blue! I have to meditate every day to keep my powers under control!”
 
However, Raven's rant was interrupted by the pulsing sounds of the Trouble Alert.
 
“I'm on it!” Terra exclaimed, happy to have an excuse to skip Raven's lecture. She ran for the elevator, followed eagerly by Cyborg, Starfire and Beast Boy—all enthusiastic about their favorite earth-mover's return.
 
However, in her haste to flee she brushed up against Raven's open arm. Troubled thoughts transferred minds—tears, condolences, power, fear, hatred—if only she could place what they pointed to!
 
“What's wrong Raven?” her leader asked. “Should we trust her?”
 
“I can't tell.” The witch sighed. “For once, I honestly can't tell.”
 
The girl's face still held those conflicted thoughts. She finally turned, her wide eyes conveying a multitude of emotions, yet at the same time keeping her true intentions a secret.
 
Was it regret she felt? Had she come to care for these new friends more then her master? Or perhaps they showed pride at being able to fool the Teen Titans? It was also entirely possible that she was pained at her own weakness; at relying on Slade for the control she so desperately desired to have.
 
Terra stood alone in her new room, marveling at the beautiful desert murals on the wall and the breath-taking views from her picture windows.
 
In her hands rested a small yellow communicator, adorned with the Titans' trademark `T'. It was official: she was a Teen Titan. Trust was something that could only be earned, and tonight Terra had earned it. She had saved her new home; she had fended off the Titans' fiercest enemy.
 
Collapsing onto her bed, the earth-mover held the device above her face with a smile. “They trust me,” she said, gazing upon the communicator still. “They actually trust me.”
 
“Terra?” Usopp's knees couldn't take it anymore, and the sniper instantly collapsed.
 
Her other suitor was similarly affected. “Terra…how, how could this be possible?” A tear fell down the shapeshifter's cheek, staining his green fur.
 
“I knew I shouldn't have trusted you!” Raven exclaimed. “All this time I knew you were a liar, a traitor!” A tinge of red sparked to life in her eyes.
 
Luffy scratched his head, oblivious to the immensity of the situation. “What's an apprentice anyway?”
 
“You're right, Raven.” Terra said with a smirk. “You should have never trusted me. None of you should have. But you didn't know; none of you ever knew.”
 
Terra's 360 turn in demeanor took her friends by surprise. It took a few awkward moments before everything fully resonated; before they could even think to reply. Finally, Starfire spoke up.
 
“But why, friend?” she asked desperately. “What would make you do this?”
 
The traitor frowned. “Slade gave me control; he gave me security. All you ever did was betray my trust!” Beast Boy gasped as Terra took an even bitterer tone. “Slade's control came faster then it ever could have from you!”
 
“And that, dear Titans, is all I need from you.” Slade said with an air of finality. “Terra, for your first official act as my apprentice,” his eye narrowed into a slit, “Send them to their doom.”
 
Yellow emanated from the girl's palms, and traveled across her entire body. Terra shone like a translucent, traitorous sun.
 
“As you wish Master.”
 
With a scream the aura shot from around her, and the rock beneath the feet of the Straw Hats and the Teen Titans crumbled. Nothing smaller then pebbles remained, and just to make things certain, both the ceiling and the walls besides them threw in their fair share, pelting the heroes relentlessly.
 
In only a few seconds, the eleven had fallen helplessly into the bottomless abyss.
 
“Well done.” Slade complimented, turning to leave the room. “Come, my child. More urgent matters await us.”
 
Terra followed with a stunted pace that could be attributed to either lethargy or remorse; again, her actions hid her true intentions, whatever they may be.
 
The three Iso-jin finished the procession, their silent accompaniment all a part of the ruse. Their enemies thought it was over, but it hadn't even yet begun. The true reason for their invitation began as soon as those children regained consciousness. Until then, even their new ally was caught up in the deception.
 
 
 
The five returned to Slade's main room of operations. The two Iso-jin men both went their separate ways, Ian drawing his sword and making a few random slashes while Ivan just sat on a rock, watching the others.
 
Terra was surprised to find herself with no commands. Both Slade and Mother moved towards a series of viewscreens that seemed to be keeping tabs on the various caverns in the compound.
 
With no idea what she was supposed to do now, the earth-mover wandered towards a small pedestal on the other side of the room. Atop it sat the Stone of Iso Toa—glistening in an ever increasing aura of red.
 
It was hard to believe everything had started just because of this. Of course, Terra's trip down this path had begun long before the Stone's appearance. Still, she owed a lot to this little stone—the seeds of doubt had been planted in her head ever since joining the Teen Titans, but never had they been so aptly brought to life until the Stone of Iso Toa had entered the picture.
 
“Brilliant, isn't it?” Slade asked, startling his apprentice. She span to face the madman. “The true power contained within that stone is enough for me to conquer this entire planet! Can you imagine what we can do with it, Terra?”
 
The possibilities seemed endless indeed, but that wasn't what was troubling the young earth-mover. “It's `true power'?”
 
“Indeed.” Her master replied. “The latent power of this stone is magnificent; however, it will take a quite a bit of energy to release. That, my child, is where the Titans come in. They have all the power I need to open the path to true power.”
 
“What about them?” Terra inquired, nodding towards the Iso-jin.
 
Slade snickered softly. “They informed me of the Stone's true powers, as well as the way to unleash them. However, I doubt I'll be sharing any of it with them. With such power at my hands, what threat do they possibly hold?”
 
“I see.” Terra said, frowning. “Such disregard for allies—just like with Smoker.”
 
“Come now my child, if I taught you anything I taught you that even trust, ultimately, is just a tool.”
 
“Of course you did,” Terra began, “Which is why I'm still surprised I trusted in you at all.”
 
Despite a statement of near-blasphemy from his apprentice, Slade's expression didn't shift in the slightest.
 
“Whatever happened to our plan, Slade?” she asked, malice in her voice. “I infiltrate the Teen Titans, I hand you over their secrets, and we strike? All of a sudden you try to steal that stone! Do you realize what I've been going through this entire time? No idea what your plan is, no idea how I should act or when—or if at all—you'll reveal my alliance!”
 
Slade's frown deepened. “You followed orders this entire time, as I would expect of my apprentice.”
 
“What sort of relationship is that?!” Terra asked. “That stone opened my eyes to your true nature!”
 
“Nonsense!” Slade exclaimed, interrupting his apprentice's rant. “You've known all along this was a simple trade—I give you control if you give me loyalty!”
 
Terra's eyes grew wide at the direction Slade was taking this.
 
Her fear was founded as the fiend continued his speech. “Don't try to feign that this stone changed your perspective! My child, while you may have fooled your friends, do not think that you're good enough of an actor to fool me!
 
“You're simply weak! They show you a little kindness and you take their side! Then again, I expected as much. You're stronger then Robin, but you haven't got his will, his pride. You, it seems, will switch sides in an instant.”
 
Sweat poured down Terra's face as she endured the verbal beating.
 
“Not only that, but you're a fool as well! You think you can pretend to betray your friends so that you can take me down before they're put in danger? It's a suicide play! My child, there's no way you can win.”
 
The look of pain and terror Terra displayed finally dropped as a strange smile crossed her face instead.
 
“The only way I am a fool was to ever trust you in the first place!” she exclaimed. “You're right, though. They're the reason why I defy you—I figured denying my role in your empire wouldn't work, so I decided to take you down myself instead!”
 
Slade unleashed a pent-up breath. “Then enough with the talk—why don't you back your words with actions for once!”
 
Her trademark yellow aura exploded around her as Terra screamed, charging forward.
 
Slade charged as well, pulling his staff and leaping into the air, becoming a black blur.
 
So now was the time for the clash—master against his former apprentice. Of course, the master was unworthy of the title, while the apprentice had—within ten minutes—betrayed everybody with whom she had ties. What good could come from such a maneuver, such a fight?
 
Unfortunately, at the moment it looks like none at all.
 
Next Time: Terra vs. Slade—Fallout of a Betrayal