One Piece Fan Fiction / Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Cruise ❯ Driven - Zoro vs. Ian, Round Two ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own One Piece, Teen Titans, or any characters or elements contained within. I believe these can be credited to the geniuses Eiichiro Oda [author and artist of OP], Marv Wolfman and George Perez [respective author and artist of The New Teen Titans comic of the eighties], and Glen Murakami and his talented crew [the staff of the Teen Titans animated series, the Titans version which this story is based off.] Thanks for developing these wonderful characters I have the pleasure of using in this story!
 
Any original characters, however, belong to Pivitor. Remember it!
 
 
The Ultimate Cruise:
One Piece meets Teen Titans
 
Chapter 22: Driven—Zoro vs. Ian, Round Two
 
The sounds of metal clashing echoed throughout the cavern. The two teenaged boys each waved their weapons in an ever escalating onslaught of rage.
 
In Ian's hands rested the mystical Iso-jin sword, Eehuah. The crimson relic's size allowed it to block smaller weapon's assaults with ease, but even with this advantage the boy found himself just barely holding back his opponent's attacks.
 
`Increased power my ass,' he growled to himself in his mind. `Either this stone is defective or Roronoa Zoro was a lot stronger than I ever gave him credit for!'
 
With a katana in each hand and one in his mouth, Zoro spiraled into quick and powerful attacks with his Santoryu style. Unlike last time they had fought, however, the Iso-jin seemed not only able to see every one of his moves but could even block them all; though it took every bit of the crystal swordsman's effort, this was still a huge improvement from their clash at Ianoa Island.
 
Zoro growled as he brushed off a wide swing. `The bastard's gotten stronger. It's actually taking all my effort to fend him off!'
 
Swinging from above, the Eehuah was caught between two crossed katanas. Ian and Zoro's eyes met, each fighter growling as they struggled against the other's strength.
 
“You can't win, Roronoa Zoro.” Ian grunted, panting rapidly as he pushed against his opponent's defense. “There's no way to stop me from meeting my goals!”
 
“I should have known.” Zoro sighed. “Don't you ever get tired of your ranting? I already know what you're going to say! If it's really how you feel, then stop telling me and take action!”
 
Rage flashed through the Iso-jin's eyes; using all his strength he pushed against the katanas, propelling himself into the air. The Eehuah lit the dark cavern as it glowed crimson. Ian pulled it behind his back as he soared far above the plateau that was their battlefield.
 
“Crimson Blade!”
 
A red blade of energy followed the sword's arc, spiraling towards Zoro. With a sigh Zoro cut off its path with one sword; a flick of his wrist sent the projectile to the side and out of mind. Pulling his other arm behind his back, the pirate perfectly parried Ian's attempt at a surprise slash.
 
“Unfortunately, your tricks haven't advanced any.” Zoro smiled. “You're going to have to do a lot better than that,” he chuckled before tacking the last word onto his advice, “bastard.”
 
Again Ian reeled at his rival's taunting, and in an instant his opponent was pouncing from above. The green-haired swordsman's arms criss-crossed as his three swords chipped away at the larger Eehuah's defense.
 
Still seething at Roronoa Zoro's claim, the Iso-jin's powers came to life—matching his renewed anger. `You haven't even begun to see my tricks!'
 
Pushing against one of the pirate's thrusts created just enough room between the two combatants. “Shield!” Crimson energy billowed from the relic and erected a protective wall.
 
Zoro remembered that attack, and continued to lament his opponent's lack of creativity. Pausing a second, he raised a katana above his head and proceeded to slash the Iso-jin's defense in half.
 
As the shield shattered into crimson debris, Ian could be seen charging from behind it. He dragged the blade of the Eehuah behind him, and it left a trail of energy on the ground—like a crayon would on paper. He drew within the range of Zoro's katanas, and as the pirate launched two sweeping slashes the sword lit up, creating an explosion that propelled the boy into the air.
 
Roronoa Zoro grunted, his neck arching as he watched Ian slide above him on a bridge of crimson power. The boy pivoted towards the pirate as he landed, but the bridge posed him a much more immediate threat. Much to Zoro's chagrin red spikes formed from the bottom of the trail, which suddenly lunged towards the ground.
 
The eyes of the green-haired swordsman grew wide as the attack came within inches of simultaneously impaling and crushing him. Then, just as Zoro should have been a lifeless puddle, the trail stopped in its place. With his katanas crossed, the Straw Hat was barely impeding his impending doom. Sweat poured from his body because of the strain, while the perspiration falling from his face could be more attributed to the crimson spike only inches away from his nose.
 
Clenching his favorite sword even more tightly between his teeth, Zoro unleashed a scream as he twisted into the air, slicing through the bridge. As he continued to revolve the katanas in his hands demolished the rest of the structure. The pirate landed without a scratch—however, this only lasted a moment.
 
Ian's malevolent laugh was louder than the sound of Eehuah slicing through Zoro's back. Using his bridge as a distraction the Iso-jin had finally landed a substantial hit, and it appeared to have done its job as his opponent staggered forward.
 
Blood gushed both from the fresh wound and from his mouth; despite this Zoro didn't lose his grip on his sword or the battle. Planting his heel into the dirt, the pirate ended his stumbling and bravely turned back towards his enemy.
 
“Coward,” Zoro growled, “Attacking an opponent on the back is a sure sign of cowardi—”
 
The sight of his opponent cut off the swordsman's taunt. A glowing Eehuah was held above Ian's head, and not a moment passed before he swung it into an attack.
 
“Crimson Blade…” The familiar projectile launched from the blade of the mystical sword, but this time Ian wasn't stopping. He continued his assault, and each swipe of Eehuah unleashed another glowing crescent. “…STRANGLE!”
 
There just wasn't a chance for Roronoa Zoro to escape, even to counter, as the storm of crimson streaks hit home. They hit repeatedly, without enough space between to do anything except dread the next one. Each blade struck from a different angle, leaving cris-crossing gashes up and down the swordsman's body.
 
Finally the Straw Hat Pirate couldn't take it anymore. The air around him shimmered as he screamed like a banshee, like a man possessed, and the few crimson blades within striking distance shattered accordingly.
 
With an opportunity to take the offensive finally open Zoro dashed forward, his arms moving so quickly that they could only be followed by the glinting flashes of silver as his katanas decimated the Iso-jin's attacks. Ian's jaw dropped in shock as his opponent appeared before him, arms crossed.
 
“Oni Giri!”
 
The pirate's arms flew to his sides in an instant, leaving crossing slashes across Ian's stomach. Blood filled the air as the Iso-jin stumbled backwards, trying with all his might to move Eehuah to block. However, with his new wound he just couldn't do it quickly enough—Zoro now had the back of both katanas resting behind the one in his mouth.
 
“Tora Gari!”
 
His arms snapped down, etching two vertical incisions down Ian's chest. Swinging into the follow-up, the katana in Zoro's mouth finished the assault and turned the attack's handiwork into an `H' shaped scar.
 
The crystal swordsman reeled backwards as he doubled over. Blood poured from his mouth as he coughed, and as his hacking finally let up and his eyes opened he only saw Zoro charging in for more—two katanas pointed forward for thrusts.
 
“Ushibari!”
 
As the pirate shot his arms forward in small, stabbing motions, Ian finally managed to pull his ancient sword to intercept. Some thrusts were blocked, but with the speed of the former bounty hunter more just slipped past the Iso-jin's defense. The charge continued, with Ian yelping each time a thrust landed. Red stained his tunic as the katana pierced his body, and exploded from the wound as it was pulled out.
 
With the rapid nature of his attack none of the stabbings were a fatal blow, but with the sheer number of them dotting his chest Ian wouldn't last much longer anyway. Gasping for air between clenched teeth, the boy drove his crystal sword into the ground between them.
 
Crimson energy exploded between the rivals, sending both swordsmen reeling to opposite sides of the plateau. As smoke poured from their battered bodies they took this opportunity to size up their competition. Zoro looked as if he was mauled, but despite the checkerboard pattern engraved into his torso he stood firm, his breathing only slightly faster.
 
Ian looked just as bad, perhaps worse. More of his chest was a bloody mess than not, with stab wounds dotting the areas not already sliced open and his entire tunic stained red. Leaning Eehuah against the ground as he pushed himself upright, however, Ian was determined to be just as unaffected as his rival. In only seconds he managed to take the same resolute stance, if only because of the extra power his crystal provided—though Roronoa Zoro didn't know of Ian's boosted energy.
 
Grunting, dirt exploded from behind Zoro as he again dashed forward. However, while he was still standing, Ian wasn't ready to bring the battle close-range yet. At this distance only he had the advantage. “Luminescent Whip!” he cried, holding his shining weapon above his head. Swiping it forward, a long whip of crimson energy twisted forward.
 
The pirate brought his charge to an end by plowing his heel into the ground. “And just when I thought you were starting to get a little more creative.” Zoro laughed.
 
“…BARBS!”
 
Zoro's jaw dropped agape as thorns sprouted down the Luminescent Whip, making it all the more deadly. As the end snapped by the pirate intercepted with one of his katanas, and the barbed energy whip wrapped around it. With Ian's weapon immobilized—for the second—the green-haired swordsman dashed again, nearly reaching the Iso-jin before another snap of his wrist brought the weapon into his path.
 
Realizing this couldn't be won without some pain, Zoro lifted his foot into the air, stomping down on the weapon. Blood leaked through the soul of his shoe as the barbs shot into it, but he only grunted as his other katana sliced through the now-taut whip. Spinning the first sword, the remains of the whip unwound and hurled towards its creator's face.
 
The barbs scraped across Ian's cheek, but before any more damage could be done the Iso-jin intervened with his magical sword. Upon touching the remnants of the Luminescent Whip they were absorbed into the blade, leaving a glowing ball of energy on the tip of Eehuah.
 
Zoro simply sighed, knowing what was going to happen next. A pulsating beam of crimson exploded from the sphere, hurling the pirate across the battlefield.
 
“Idiot,” Ian growled. “You're hurting yourself as much as you're hurting me.”
 
The pirate just smiled, craning his neck until the bones inside could be heard cracking. “Doesn't bother me. I've felt a lot worse than this.”
 
Ian rolled his eyes, spinning Eehuah in his hands before letting the tip rest upon the ground. Again he dragged it before him, but this time the red outline leapt forward, creating intricate patterns across the entire plateau. “Crimson Maze!”
 
Energy shot up from the pattern, creating an odd structure of walls. The Straw Hat Pirate looked on in amusement at the new obstacle.
 
“I should have known you'd hide.” However, his green eyebrows then arched. “But I'm not some mouse!” Leaping into the air and raising one sword above his head, the resulting slash as he landed shattered most of the wall. Taking a step through, he wasn't surprised as the wall behind him reformed itself.
 
Looking towards the top, Zoro just sighed. “I guess I'll just have to climb up there somehow and find the way out myself.”
 
However, while the green-haired swordsman contemplated his escape, the wall behind him rippled. Ian emerged from it, the force propelling him towards his opponent. His exit didn't make a sound, and neither did the crystal swordsman. His walls of energy had made a perfect hiding place; what better way to take out somebody as strong as Roronoa Zoro?
 
However, the nearly indiscernible sound of the Eehuah cutting through air was all the hint Zoro needed. “Tou Rou Nagashi!”
 
Ian landed with his sword before him, as if he had made a stupendous slash. However, his rival stood behind him with both swords held to his side, blood dripping from them. Cuts on the crystal swordsman's sides exploded, and he fell to his knees. The walls of his maze vanished—leaving only red sparkles that filled the air like fireflies.
 
“This is getting ridiculous.” Zoro sighed as he watched the Iso-jin struggle. “What kind of swordsman are you, attacking like that?”
 
The Iso-jin trembled, trying to get to his knees as he stared with hatred at his rival's face.
 
“If you're that weak why don't you just give up?” Zoro asked. “I'm more than willing to deal the killing blow.”
 
Rage brought about Ian's second wind. Energy exploded from Eehuah, propelling him through the air and into the pirate's defenses. Though Zoro dug his heels into the dirt, they only made trenches as the force of Ian's attacks pushed them across the battlefield.
 
Roronoa Zoro only managed to stop their trip at the very edge of the plateau, and as he stared over his shoulder the sight he saw below was more frightening than Ian's sword pressing into his could ever be.
 
“RAVEN!” he cried, terrified as he watched a berserk Raven slowly killing Major Tashigi. “You can't kill her! I don't care how you stop her as long as you don't kill her! I couldn't take it if she died!”
 
He had already lost her once. Twice would be unbearable, even if he couldn't stand her. “Please!”
 
“You bet!” Raven cried, the call from her friend all she needed to snap out of her anger.
 
With that done Zoro span, again clashing his three katanas against Eehuah. However, Ian used a low swipe to his advantage, pushing himself off it and into the air.
 
As he soared into the air he held the Iso-jin relic over his head. It began to glow so brightly that everything else got darker—as if it was sucking in all the ambient light. Ian seemed to levitate for a second before thrusting his weapon below him.
 
“EEHUAH EXPLOSION!”
 
As a billowing mass of pure, unadulterated Iso-jin energy shot from Eehuah—ready to detonate on contact—Zoro stopped in fear. That was the attack that stopped him last time—that got Tashigi kidnapped in the first place! No way was he losing to it again!
 
Holding both swords out to his right, Zoro began spinning.
 
“TATSUMAKI!”
 
The pirate stopped, this time with his swords pointing in different directions. The air around him coiled into the sky, the force of his spin creating a small tornado. The volatile energy was swept back into the air by the twister—straight towards Ian!
 
As intended, it exploded upon contact. The Iso-jin managed to land, with smoke billowing from his body. Soot covered the parts of his face that weren't already soaked in blood, but besides that he seemed unharmed. Zoro raised an eyebrow, until he saw the Eehuah glowing.
 
“Bastard,” he growled, “Can't even take your own attacks?”
 
“Why should I, Roronoa Zoro, when I can just absorb it and use it over again?” Thrusting his crystal sword's tip into the ground, the explosive energy created a fissure as it traveled towards Zoro.
 
The green-haired swordsman leapt backwards, and his swords were already behind him as he landed. “Takanami!” Scraping forwards against the ground, his katanas created two waves of silver that arched ahead, intercepting the Eehuah Explosion.
 
As the rest of the energy detonated—filling the air with smoke and traces of crimson fallout—Zoro leapt backwards. Just like his opponent he was covered with dirt, but he was unharmed.
 
Ian came charging through the smoke, panting heavily and leaving a trail of blood. Just as the pirate was about to raise his katanas a wall of black rose between them. The Iso-jin collided with it, and as he did the darkness shrank until it had enveloped his tunic, tossing him backwards.
 
Zoro looked to his side, where Raven stood, her hand immersed in a black flame. “Tashigi's safe.” She reassured him, before turning her attention back to their shared enemy. “Shall we finish him?”
 
“No.”
 
The empath gasped as she was gently pushed backwards. “This is a duel between men,” Zoro growled. “You can't be allowed to interfere.” Suddenly he was gone, again charging forward until his katanas met with Ian's sword. Sparks flew as metal met stone, and with both of them having used most of their energy they reverted to simple swordplay once more.
 
Raven sighed and floated into the air, never taking her eyes off the two men. She'd never understand what drove people like this—why men had duels of honor, and why Zoro in particular wouldn't accept assistance. She worked with a team, and part of that team's duty was to stop a conflict as fast and efficiently as possible—before it could hurt other people.
 
Zoro wasn't doing that! Perhaps pirates worked differently, but this went beyond a difference in working habits, even beyond the grudge these two men held. Her empathic perceptions could feel, even more than their hatred, their determination. Their drive.
 
Of course then there was Tashigi, throwing a wrench into everything she knew about Roronoa Zoro as a whole. Perhaps Raven had first been drawn to him because of his air of mystery, but at the same time she wasn't Robin—she wasn't a detective. This was too much for somebody as blunt and straightforward as her to take.
 
Jumping backwards, Raven floated into the air. She crossed her legs, sitting in the air as she crossed her arms and pressed her fingers together. She took a deep breath as she closed her eyes.
 
“Azarath…”
An aura of darkness crept to life around her body, flickering like an evil flame on the tip of a wick.
 
“…Metrion…”
 
It expanded, growing into the shape of a giant raven.
 
“…Zinthos.”
 
It seemed that the word was barely able to leave her lips, trailing off into a whisper. The raven cried out as it departed from her body, taking a spiraling descent towards the battlefield. Raven's body didn't move as it floated in place; the empath's consciousness was within the raven she had created. It was a technique commonly known as astral projection, and it was the only way the Titan could think of how to crack someone unwilling to do so himself.
 
The astral form grew ever closer to the swordsman, not letting up as his opponent drew close. The Eehuah was swung, several katanas countered, and as the two rivals struggled a third person entered the fray—but she wasn't interested in fighting. The mind of the Teen Titan entered the body of the Straw Hat Pirate, and with that done his mind was an open book.
 
 
 
With a loud smack two wooden swords flew through the air, and not far behind was a small, green-haired boy. A violet-haired girl stood before him, one sword poised in her hands.
 
“Kuina wins again!” A student yelled. “'Two-Sword Zoro' loses! Zoro is zero for two-thousand against Kuina!”
 
The girl just stared down at her persistent opponent. “Pathetic. Kind of weak for a boy, aren't you?”
 
But Zoro wasn't weak, as his friends were quick to point out. They screamed that he wasn't weak; he was the strongest in the dojo! He could defeat adults! But he wasn't as strong as Kuina, and that was a simple fact.
 
“Lost again, eh, Zoro?” his sensei asked—a bit obnoxiously, as he was just watching the battle. “That's odd, since you're actually quite strong.”
 
His students glared at him. “Sensei! Are you teaching Kuina secrets because she's your daughter?! That's not fair!”
 
Flustered, sensei waved his arms and denied it. Zoro paid little attention, not caring why she was so strong. He threw his weapons to the ground.
 
“Darn! Why can't I beat that girl?!”
 
“Don't forget that Kuina is a little older than you.” His sensei pointed out.
 
“But I can beat grown-ups!” Zoro countered angrily. “I'm going to sail the seas and become the greatest sword master in the world! I can't keep losing to that girl!”
 
And when Roronoa Zoro says he's going to do something, he does it.
 
 
 
Kuina charged the pole, striking it from all directions with her wooden sword. As she strafed to the side, ready for another charge, she heard somebody approaching.
 
“Zoro?”
 
“Kuina! I challenge you to a duel…with real swords!” Held in each of the boy's hands was a katana, both jet black. “You're not afraid of real swords, are you?”
 
Kuina laughed. “Real swords? Okay…it's your funeral.”
 
A few moments later she was ready, both her hands grasping one real blade, faced off against Roronoa Zoro and both his weapons.
 
“On guard!”
 
Both children leapt into the air, true swords meeting for the first time. However, in the matter of mere moments two katanas were soaring through the air. Their owner was on the ground, his eyes wide—his opponent's blade was only inches away from his neck!
 
“That makes two thousand and one times I've beaten you!” she exclaimed, releasing a breath.
 
Climbing to his feet, Zoro just glared at his opponent. She kept staring at him, and he didn't like the look on her face. “It's so frustrating!” he exclaimed.
 
“I'm the one who's frustrated.” Kuina interjected. She only received a blank stare from the boy. “When girls get older, they become weaker than boys. Pretty soon you'll all be stronger than me.
 
“Zoro, you're always saying that you'll be the world's greatest swordsman. My dad says that girls can't be master swordsmen.” Tears welled up in her eyes as she continued. “You're lucky you're a boy, Zoro.
 
“I want to be the world's greatest swordsman too! But I'm starting to get breasts already…I wish I was…a boy…”
 
Zoro's jaw dropped. “What are you crying about? You beat me! That's not fair! Beating you is my dream!” Kuina tried to interrupt him, but the boy wouldn't allow it. “Someday I'll beat you because I worked hard, not because you got weaker! It's got nothing to do with being a boy or a girl! I train all the time to beat you! You're making me look bad!
 
“Let's make a promise to each other! Someday, one of us will be the greatest swordsman ever! We'll fight each other for the title!”
 
Kuina wiped the tears from her eyes. “You idiot! You're too puny!” But only moments later their hands clenched.
 
“It's a promise!”
 
 
 
“Zoro, there's been an accident! It's Kuina!”
 
The boy just stood there, his eyes wide in shock. His body couldn't even respond. He could only look at the body; even covered in a blanket he knew it was her.
 
“She fell down the stairs…she's dead!”
 
Finally Zoro snapped. Running towards his rival, he was held back by one of the instructors. “You made a promise yesterday!” he cried. “You can't run away from your promise!”
 
“Humans are fragile things, Zoro…” his sensei said, his grief displayed in a much more somber tone. Dropping his katanas, the boy just stared towards his teacher.
 
He choked up as he tried to make his request. “Sensei…may…may I have her sword?”
 
Sensei looked surprised. “I…suppose so.”
 
Only the night before he had met defeat by that sword. Now it was his. “I'll have to keep the promise for both of us!” He clenched the white sheath even harder. “I'm going to become such a great sword master that my name will be known even in heaven!”
 
 
 
He still held on firmly onto that sword, which was now clenched between his teeth. If Raven had been in her body she'd have shed a tear. Memories kept flooding into her consciousness. His life had been led following this promise. He'd finally met the world's greatest swordsman—`Hawkeyes' Mihawk—at the floating Baratie Restaurant, and the encounter left him with a scar spanning his entire chest.
 
Zoro said he would never lose again, and to this point he hadn't. His life had to be spent winning, getting stronger, facing increasingly powerful enemies on his own—or else he could never surpass Mihawk. Or else he could never keep his promise to Kuina.
 
So she was right all along—somewhat. He was stubborn, he was defying all logic in the fight, but she just couldn't condemn him for doing so.
 
And as for Tashigi…it was funny how much she looked like Kuina. They were identical. Looking through Zoro's memories of their first meeting, she could see that the Marine just didn't look like her, she acted like her too. She had ambition, and she even had trouble with being a woman swordsman. Of course Zoro wouldn't let anything happen to somebody who embodied perhaps the most important figure in his life!
 
No wonder Zoro hid it all, wouldn't tell her. Raven knew better than most the kind of toll tragedy took on one, and the pain it took to bring it up. She couldn't blame him for keeping it bottled up. In fact, she felt guilty about finding it out herself. She shouldn't go inside people's heads like that—and even when the Titans had aroused her curiosity, or suspicion as in the case of Terra, she hadn't intruded upon their privacy in this way.
 
She would have to think of a way to apologize to Zoro later. Now was the time to return to her own body and let Zoro become stronger. Yet, she couldn't leave yet. It wasn't her choice, thoughts still tugged at her—but not Zoro's.
 
Ian and Zoro had met just as she had merged with his mind, and as their locked swords struggled she could feel the Iso-jin's thoughts tugging at hers. He fought much like Zoro—he fought for a purpose beyond this fight, this rivalry, no matter what front he tried to put on.
 
Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to find out what drove him, perhaps it would even be beneficial to peek into the plans of the Iso-jin, but even if Raven had no reason to look into Ian's thoughts she never would have escaped their draw.
 
 
 
 
In the decades since Ivan had been recruited to the Iso-jin it had thrived into a large community. Their home on the submergible ship Ehever—a relic of a better time—was full of people, many originally gang members like Ivan. It seemed that they had taken the brunt of Ianoa Island's tragic lifestyle, and wanted the most to change it. Yet many civilians had been recruited too—after all, on that decaying island heartbreak spared nobody.
 
With the growth both of new members and of their subsequent offspring, the Iso-jin's numbers nearly matched that of the civilians. Even with the omnipresent gangs and the pirates that often lodged there the Iso-jin armada could probably easily take control of the island.
 
That was why it seemed so strange that they never made a move. Mother kept saying that action would be taken at the appropriate time, but when that time was remained a mystery. Her goal of restoring this `Great Power' seemed stranger each day—why would she need such a power when they had the already resources to bring Ianoa Island under peaceful rule?
 
Of course, asking questions of Mother would not be wise, and the only other person high enough on the ladder—well, Ivan would never doubt that woman. Nobody would dare question Mother's intentions in front of that man—well, nobody besides one particular woman.
 
“Ivan!” she cried, slamming her hand against a table. He kept his back turned to the brunette, trying his best to restrain his anger. “You know we don't have to listen to her! Why don't you do something with your authority and go make a difference up there!”
 
Spinning to face the woman, Ivan's rage didn't cloud his love for her. She was his wife after all, and her beauty hadn't faded one bit since the day he met her. Still, even Isabel's slim figure, glistening brown hair and blue eyes couldn't stop the raving Iso-jin.
 
“And why don't you mind your own business and let me do my job?” Ivan growled. “Mother knows what she's doing! The Great Power can bring about a peace the Iso-jin could never do on their own! How can you doubt the power of somebody who has never let us down before?!”
 
Isabel bit her lower lip as her eyes began to water. “How can you tell if she's let us down or not if you keep deifying her?” The woman sighed as she walked past her husband and to the door. She had ignored Ivan's lack of ambition when they were courting—as an eager new Iso-jin, she was attracted to the veteran warrior instantly. There was a stoic aura to him, and that along with his good looks had her hooked.
 
Still, as of late she only found his willingness to follow frustrating. Isabel cast a regretful glance over her shoulder. “You know Ivan, there's been many times during our marriage when I've thought you loved her more than me, but you always reassured me otherwise.” Her hand turned the doorknob, and she stepped into the hallway. “There's no way you're fooling me this time.”
 
“Mommy?”
 
Looking down, Isabel saw a tiny boy with scraggly brown hair leaning by the door. It was her son Ian—and obviously he had been listening in on their conversation. “Why were you and Daddy yelling again?”
 
The boy looked through the doorway to his father, who hadn't made a move. Suddenly he was swept into his mother's arms. “It's nothing, honey. Your father and I were just having a discussion.”
 
Ian looked relieved, but the feeling only lasted for a second until Isabel again spoke. “Now, it's time to get you packed.”
 
 
 
Isabel and Ian stood on the dock, the setting sun displaying them as silhouettes. Behind them, only the very top door of the Ehever had emerged from the water—Ivan and Mother stood before it.
 
“Are you sure you want to do this?” Ivan asked. He seemed genuinely concerned.
 
“Absolutely.” Isabel said without a moment's hesitation. The trim red uniforms both herself and her son had worn were now replaced by plain street clothes. “I no longer agree with the ideas of the Iso-jin. This island will not be saved by secretive agendas and inaction.”
 
Despite the direct attack, Mother didn't flinch. “If you ever change your mind, my child, you're welcome back any time.”
 
Isabel ignored her—clenching her son's hand, she began to walk away.
 
Ian panicked. His young mind simply couldn't figure out what was happening. Where were they? He'd never left the ship before! Why wasn't his Daddy going with them? “Daddy!” he cried, flailing until his grip was loose.
 
The boy ran to the edge of the dock, tears streaming down his face. “What's going on Daddy?! Why aren't you coming with us?!”
 
“Your father doesn't want to help his family, Ian.” Ian gasped as he was pulled into Isabel's embrace, and she let her glare meet Ivan's eyes before she started to turn away.
 
Guilt tugged at the Iso-jin, and Ivan took a step forward. “Isabel…”
 
However, Mother then pulled at his arm. “Ivan, we have to go. We have to submerge before we're seen.”
 
Ivan's eyes darted between the two women. Not long ago Isabel would have considered this the moment of truth, but by now she already knew what would happen. That was why she had left.
 
Ivan turned and followed the old woman into the ship. “Yes, Mother.”
 
 
 
The boy sat on a chair, kicking his legs as he waited for his mother. The months since their departure from the Iso-jin had been hard, but somehow Isabel had managed to acquire this humble home for the two. Heaving a sigh of boredom, Ian jumped from his chair and walked to the other side of the room, where a blanket on the floor served as his bed.
 
Picking up a ball from his bed, he began to bounce it against the wall. Back on the Ehever it hadn't been like this. There were always other children to play with, always a soft bed to sleep in and plenty of food to eat. He didn't like it here.
 
“Come on honey, it's time to go.” Isabel called as she walked through the door from her room—the only other room in the house. She grabbed her son's tiny hand and pulled him through the door.
 
Ian looked puzzled. “Where're we going? Are we gonna see Daddy?”
 
His mother sighed sadly. “No Ian. Mommy just has some errands to run. Very important errands. We need to go.”
 
Indeed her errands were quite important. Isabel had spent all the time she could quietly recruiting other civilians to her cause. It was amazing how many of the citizens were willing to risk their lives to make Ianoa Island safer—she only now wished that she had had time to talk to the other Iso-jin as well before she left.
 
They had made a plan and taken action almost immediately after joining together. Isabel's players had infiltrated every gang on Ianoa Island, working until they had the complete trust of the organizations. She then had them begin “leaking” information to other gangs. They'd all be lured to one location, and a free-for-all would ensue; she'd make sure that none of the survivors of that melee made it anywhere else alive. A little deceit could sure go a long way.
 
It was almost time to bring her plan to fruition. Today she'd be meeting with one final agent, finishing the preparations. This preparation would ensure a safe future for her son, and for all the citizens of this island. With the gangs gone focus could be focused on reviving the economy, and with the amount of ships that passed through she had little doubt it could be done.
 
Ian's ball bounced off the dirt road and back into his palm. The boy stumbled along the path, pulled along by his mother while he was preoccupied with his toy. Errands had become commonplace to him. Another boring conversation with some old boring person.
 
His mother, however, only wished she could be as carefree. The closer her plan got to succeeding, the more dangerous things became. If even one of her spies let information leak then she would be the first person targeted. Isabel regretted exposing her son to such danger, yet at the same time she wanted him to have a part in this. Appreciation for freedom was something she would hand down to Ian.
 
Isabel's head darted back and forth as they made their way down the tiny street. However, even her Iso-jin trained senses didn't notice the people slipping in behind her. She didn't realize it until people appeared on both sides of her, filing out until she was surrounded.
 
“What do you want?” she growled, hoping this was a coincidence. She'd happily part with the little money she had if this was just a random mugging. However, as the gang members closed in the growing pain in her stomach told her this wasn't random.
 
Ian trembled, moving against his mother's leg. “Mommy? What's going on?”
 
“Your mother has caused quite a bit of trouble, I'm afraid.” Both Isabel and Ian turned towards an alley, where a mysterious figure spoke. He was a powerful man, clad in red and black and wearing a red eye patch. He held a smaller, frightened man by the collar of his shirt. “Is that her?”
 
The man nodded as if his life depended on it—which it no doubt did. “Then you're free to go—don't cross us again.” The man with the eye patch dropped the smaller figure to the ground, where he cast one sad glance towards Isabel before running away.
 
Isabel's lip quivered for a second as she tried to gather her resolve. She couldn't blame her agent for his betrayal—with the state of this island preservation of life meant everything.
 
“Rodell, correct?” Isabel asked. “I shouldn't be surprised it was you who found out about our plans. You have a reputation for being clever.”
 
Rodell grinned. “I have a reputation for many things, woman. One of those things is my intolerance for my enemies.”
 
As the thugs surrounding her closed in Isabel actually smiled. “Even if you stop me you won't stop my plan. The gangs will bring each other down. They can't all find out.”
 
“You think I care of the other gangs, woman?” Rodell asked. “Some will figure it out, some won't, and frankly it's less competition. But I'll be damned if I let you conspire against my gang and live!” His eyebrows arched and his face contorted as a scream full of malice left his lips. “Get her, men!”
 
The circle of thugs dashed forward, many revealing knives. Tears poured down Ian's cheeks like rivers as he tried to run, but his mother's grip held him still.
 
“Stay down!” Isabel commanded. “I'll protect you!”
 
Ian dropped to his knees, curling into the fetal position. His mother leapt above him, whirling into a helicopter kick that sent the thugs flying. Every ounce of skill she had acquired from the Iso-jin became evident as she fought, whirling kicks and sprawling lunges hurling the gangsters through walls. She stayed as unmovable as she could, keeping tight around her defenseless son.
 
She dropped backwards, behind a knife thrust, and used her arms to spin her body around. The sweep knocked a few more punks off their feet. Leaping backwards, she sprang onto her hands and then to her feet. A thug had gotten behind her, but smashing her head back she landed a makeshift-headbutt to his temple.
 
The young boy couldn't believe his eyes. Not only was his Mommy fighting like that, but she was winning too! A smile crossed his face as she took out one thug after another.
 
Then, suddenly, no more smiles were to be found. Ian's ball fell to the ground, its bouncing the only sound besides the fading echoes of gunshots. Isabel fell to her son's side, blood spattering across the boy.
 
Rodell pulled the smoking pistol back beneath his coat. “If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.” he growled. The thugs who had managed to escape harm now walked towards him, disappearing into the alley behind their leader.
 
“Mommy?! MOMMY?!” Ian shook his mother's body intently, and when she wouldn't wake up he turned his sights to Rodell. “What…what did you do to her?!”
 
Not waiting for an answer Ian charged forward, but he only received a boot in his gut.
 
“You've got spirit, kid, but it's not going to do anything.” Rodell turned, poised to fade away as his gang had just done. “You can't change the world, boy. Look what it did to your old lady. Take my advice and forget this. Become a fruit seller or something, I dunno, just don't be no damn vigilante. If you can follow that I'll guarantee you'll never have to see me again.”
 
 
 
Ian was still trembling; he now sat in a chair back on the Ehever, covered in a blanket with several Iso-jin nurses tending to him. He didn't respond to anything they did.
 
“I found him exactly where you said he would be, Mother. There was no sign of the bastards that did this to them.” Ivan and the old woman stood on the other side of the room; the father kept casting worried glances towards his son. “They haven't changed a bit since my days with them. When I track Rodell down he's going t—”
 
“That's not your place, my child.” Mother interjected. “When our Iso-jin find out what happened to Isabel it will quell their thoughts of insubordination immediately—and I believe this presents a fortunate opportunity with your son that did not exist before as well.”
 
Ivan's jaw dropped. “You—you're going to use her as an example?! She was my wife!”
 
“She left you,” Mother reminded him. “She left us all. Abandoned us. She didn't learn a lesson you learned long ago, my son: that my way is always the best way.”
 
The man grimaced, holding his tongue. Mentally he chastised himself for doubting Mother. His son, however, had a different reaction to the conversation. He may not have understood everything that was going on, but he knew he didn't like what the old hag was saying! His mom didn't do anything wrong, anything to deserve this!
 
Mother's hand on his shoulder finally snapped him out of his trance. He moved to tell her off, but she didn't give him a chance to speak.
 
“My child, did you know this island used to be peaceful?” Ian shook his head. “Ianoa Island was once a quaint island, renowned for making swords. Then the Great Power arrived. It provided all the luxuries you've had during your life. It gave the islanders a life more glorious then the ones we have as Iso-jin.
 
“Then, thanks to a great tragedy, it was gone. The loss of the Great Power made this place the Hell it is today. If it was still here your mother would still be alive.”
 
She paused as the boy looked at her, dumbfounded. “As Iso-jin we work everyday to restore the Great Power. I want nothing more then to return this island to its former glory. My child, it is what your mother would want too. Don't you want to make this island safe, so that something like this can never happen again?”
 
Ian's thoughts ran wild. `The witch has got a point! Mom was always talking about my responsibility to protect the future! She would want me to stop this from happening again!' He then looked towards his father, disgusted by the man's response to Mother's plans. For the first time he could see what his mom had seen when she left this place. `Still, there's always what she said about my mom. I will save this island and restore the Great Power…but I can't be her slave! She won't control me!'
 
The boy was snapped out of his thoughts by a sword nearly as tall as he was falling into his lap. Mother leaned down to stare him face to face.
 
“The blood of the Iso-jin's greatest warrior flows through you. However, your father grows tired of fighting. Wielding Eehuah is your destiny, my child. Embrace your place as the Iso-jin who will fight to restore the Great Power!”
 
Unsheathing his new blade, Ian stared with wonder at the crimson sword. “Yes,” he exclaimed, “I will restore the Great Power! Nothing will stop me from making this island safe for everybody!”
 
As he made his proclamation, the last words of Rodell popped into his mind. `I'll never have to see him again? Oh, we'll meet again. I can change the world, and this vigilante will make sure he doesn't live to see it!'
 
Hopping to the floor, the Eehuah already glowed in the young Iso-jin's hand. Its power made Ian stronger, while the new drive Ian had found in turn fueled the relic's power.
 
“I just have one person to take care of first.”
 
 
 
With Rodell's murder taking little time, Raven watched Ian's life of fighting to revive the Great Power. Never did he forget his purpose, and never did he let loyalty blind him to his true goal.
 
However, melding with two minds left the empath drained. She could already tell that she had linked the thoughts of the two when she merged, and she needed to get out of there before it did damage!
 
Zoro and Ian both reeled backwards as the spark of black that had intruded upon their thoughts exploded into the sky. Raven's consciousness returned to her body, and she slowly lowered to the ground. Exhausted, she tried to catch her breath as she watched the two swordsmen.
 
Raven could no longer feel their hatred. In fact, the emotions of both fighters had changed drastically. She could feel, perhaps more than anything, respect.
 
She could only hope that this meant Ian had seen that Zoro was nobody to fight—that by continuing in this he would be doing what he hated, following Mother's orders instead of his dreams! As for Zoro, she just hoped that he could finally let this fight go.
 
It seemed like an eternity as neither Zoro nor Ian made a move. Finally, the Iso-jin lifted his weapon.
 
“Shall we finish this?” he asked as the sword's crimson hue filled the cavern.
 
Zoro clenched down on his katanas harder, holding one before him and one behind him.
 
“Lets!”
 
Next Time: The Survivors—Seeing Through Changed Eyes