One Piece Fan Fiction / Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Ultimate Cruise ❯ The Great Power - Fruition of the Manipulation ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own One Piece, Teen Titans, or any characters or elements contained within. I believe these can be credited to the geniuses Eiichiro Oda [author and artist of OP], Marv Wolfman and George Perez [respective author and artist of The New Teen Titans comic of the eighties], and Glen Murakami and his talented crew [the staff of the Teen Titans animated series, the Titans version which this story is based off.] Thanks for developing these wonderful characters I have the pleasure of using in this story!
 
Any original characters—and it's not going to change no matter how many times you read this—belong to Pivitor. Remember it!
 
The Ultimate Cruise:
One Piece meets Teen Titans
 
Chapter 25: The Great Power—Fruition of the Manipulation
 
Nami squirmed, muffled groans escaping through her gag as she tried to free herself from the bonds that had her restrained like an actress in a dirty movie. The navigator's hands were tied to one gear, while her legs were tethered to another gear moving in the opposite direction. If action wasn't taken soon she would ripped completely in half!
 
Suddenly she heard a scream in the distance, and as Nami lifted her head she noticed Luffy soaring towards her. She cried the name of her savior beneath her gag; her savior, however, flew straight past her and into the wall.
 
“Ooooooooow,” the rubberman groaned as he fell to the floor, tottering for a second on one foot before regaining composure. As he turned he saw his navigator nearing an untimely doom, and his impaired attention span returned. “Oh yeah! I gotta destroy that stupid machine!”
 
Luffy cracked his knuckles and began to wind his right arm. “Rubber…”
 
The eyes of his female friend, however, shot open wide. She screamed with all her might, shaking her entire body within the restraints like a battery-powered toy.
 
“Hm?” Luffy's gaze moved again towards Nami. He frowned as he momentarily stopped his attack and strolled to her side. “Hold on. I can't understand you with that rag in your mouth!”
 
As the captain pulled the gag from his crewmate's mouth she sighed, letting the relief leave her body; however, with it gone it made room for more rage. “What were you thinking you moron?!?!” Nami screamed; the amazing blast of sound waves she released—rivaling those of Cyborg's Sonic Cannon—sent her savior reeling—yet again—into a wall.
 
“What're you talking about?” Luffy whined.
 
“Slade threatened to blow the machine, and me, to bits, right?!” Luffy's usual hapless expression didn't change. “This entire device is rigged with explosives! And you were getting ready to attack it!”
 
The pirate cocked his head. “Oh, that wouldn't have been good, would it?” Nami's glare answered his question quite well. “So how do I get you out then?”
 
Nami bit her lip for a few seconds until her rage had quelled enough to allow her to respond civilly. “Well, you could try untying the knots!
 
“Oh,” he said as he kneeled and began tugging at the restraints. While picking his ear with one hand Luffy started pulling at different strings with the other. Nami yelped in pain.
 
“No! You're just making it tighter!” She glared with contempt at the inept rescuer. “Don't you know how to tie a knot?”
 
Luffy pointed towards his sandals. A sweat drop fell down Nami's head as she unleashed a pitiful sigh.
 
Suddenly the tiny girl found herself wrapped in the rubber arms of her captain. “I got it!” he exclaimed. While she didn't know what he had planned, the fact that this was Luffy had Nami's bad-idea-o-meter blaring warnings in her mind. She tried to voice her objections, but when Luffy was adamant about something he conveniently became deaf to criticism.
 
Clenching his teeth Monkey D. Luffy pulled with all his might; Nami was now at the risk of being torn in three pieces instead, much to her chagrin. Fortunately, her restraints gave out before her body did, and with nothing holding her to the gears the amazing phenomenon known as `recoil' sent both pirates tumbling backwards across the floor—and each other.
 
With a primal growl Nami pushed the rubberman from atop her and leapt onto her feet, brushing the little bit of dirt that hadn't already become a stain from her shirt. “This was new too!” she cried.
 
Grinning like a child Luffy exclaimed, “Boy, that sure was a good plan!”
 
Suddenly the sound of her palm tearing into his rubber skin echoed through the cavern, out the exits and across the rest of the Earth, averaging a rating of 7 on the Richter scale. Luffy span like a top for several minutes; as he finally came to a stop he started rubbing the hand-shaped welt on his cheek. “What was that for?”
 
“That was for the most half-assed rescue attempt I've ever seen!” Nami roared as steam poured from her ears and fire raged in her eyes, her arms clenched stiffly at her side. She remained in that position for probably half a minute, but as her rage subsided and she noticed Luffy had wandered towards the edge of the alcove, she just sighed in disgust. “At least Sanji knows how to rescue a woman, even if he does mutter that chauvinistic nonsense the entire time.”
 
The smile quickly returned to Luffy's face as he stared over the edge. “So now all that's left is to kick that mask guy's ass!”
 
“Are you sure?” Nami asked as she strolled to her captain's side. “Somehow I don't think it'll be that easy.”
 
“Relax,” Luffy smiled, “What's the worst that can happen?”
 
Then, as if it was issued by the gods of irony themselves, a blizzard of crimson energy filled every inch of the cavern, blowing through with a terrifying force greater than any power present.
 
 
 
Mother stood with a smile on her face, arms spread wide, gleefully eating up the energy that enveloped the fighters. As the last gust of wind blew past and the strange phenomenon ended the Iso-jin stood as if nothing had happened. Her silky skin didn't have a scratch, or even any dirt; her hair stood as if just styled, not showing a sign of enduring the horrific final attack of her battle with the Teen Titans.
 
“Yes, my love,” she said, tears trickling from the corners of her eyes, “Finally you've returned. Finally I've fulfilled my destiny. You've returned to rule, and we can be together again!”
 
“No,” Starfire grunted as she recovered from the powerful blast, amazed at the sight of Mother. “She has the young again! We have done nothing!”
 
Cyborg's robotic eye clicked, and he grimaced. “Even worse is this energy reading I'm getting! Where the Stone of Iso Toa was all I can feel now is…”
 
“That?” Cutting off her teammate's statement, Starfire pointed upwards, towards a giant, sparking ball of crimson energy. It was radiant, demanding the attention of all within eyeshot.
 
“So that's the great power you've been going on about all this time,” Slade said, suddenly at Mother's side. “It certainly is everything I imagined it'd be.”
 
The old woman grinned diabolically. “Oh, it's much more than that Slade.”
 
“Perfect.”
 
In a black flash Slade was leaping up the side of the steep wall, dashing towards the Great Power. As he streaked towards his prize another figure arrived in his place.
 
“Titans,” Robin exclaimed as he landed, “We can't let Slade get to that! It has all our power and more!”
 
“Nonsense.” Three shots of chi sent the Titans sprawling. Mother didn't look a bit worried at her `partner's' mad dash toward the Great Power. “Slade has to get to it. That man is a scheming maggot, willing to betray any alliance to get the power he desires.
 
“As I told my Iso-jin, the Great Power will teach Slade the error of his ways—a man who so flagrantly discredits love deserves nothing but death!”
 
With one final leap Slade came face to face with the Great Power. The amazing sphere's light reflected in the madman's eye as he reached one arm towards it. “Finally, you're mine. If the Stone of Iso Toa had such power, I can only imagine the power you command.”
 
Suddenly, Slade found a force clamping down on his throat. In an instant he had been rendered helpless—a first for Slade. The fiend's eye grew wide in fear as the Great Power began to flare, and before anybody could even react Slade had been swallowed up in a spiraling beam of crimson that drove itself across the plateau and through a wall.
 
“That's the man I remember,” Mother smiled, “The man I loved.”
 
“Slade?” Robin whimpered in confusion.
 
Starfire too was shocked, unsure whether to be appalled or overjoyed over the turn of events. “You…wanted this to happen? How could you again betray somebody who trusted in you?!”
 
However, Mother only laughed. “Are you going to object to my every opinion?” Taking a strand of hair in her fingers, the Iso-jin continued. “It's not like he wasn't planning to betray me first. You should be happy he's gone—and you shouldn't be wasting energy on a dead man when the new developments are so much important.”
 
As she spoke the Great Power was fading—reshaping—a humanoid figure emerging from the blinding sphere of energy. A suit of crimson and black clad a muscular body, and a billowing cape hung from a v-shaped collar. The man had a square jaw and focused eyes, which were partially covered by strands of his white hair. He gave one quick look in the direction of his first victim and then floated into the air, levitating down the side of the cliff and landing besides Mother.
 
“Aww man,” Cyborg groaned, “I hate it when these last minute plot twists come out of nowhere! It always throws me for a loop!”
 
“But it actually makes sense,” Robin began, his sharply trained mind already at work. “All this time it wasn't the Stone of Iso Toa performing all those miracles; it was him! I don't know how he did what he did, or why how he was in that stone, but it's the only explanation!”
 
“Very good, Robin.” The man spoke for the first time, his voice deep and rich but not overbearing. “Though I am disappointed you didn't figure it out long before I was set free.”
 
Mother's arm slipped over the man's shoulder, and she stared into his eyes with immense pride for a few moments before speaking. “This is the man known as the `Great Power', my lover Iso.”
 
The three Titans shuddered. “Please, please tell me she was young then too,” Cyborg begged.
 
“Of course,” Iso responded. “I have used my abilities to restore her brittle shell to its glorious appearance before the decades of trying to release me.” As he flashed a quick glance at his lover he continued. “Speaking of which, I must thank you for your assistance in freeing me from my prison. M'love could never have done it without your energy.”
 
“So everything you Iso-jin have done,” Robin stammered, “Was to unleash this man?”
 
“If all you wanted to do was save a friend,” Starfire asked, “Why did you not just ask us for the assistance?”
 
“Because,” Mother began as she slipped out of her beloved's embrace, “Then we would never have arrived here and gained access to this world's power as well! Now my love has two worlds to restore!”
 
A collective question mark leapt from the heads of the three Titans.
 
Iso took a step forward. “Before the great disaster that forged the Stone of Iso Toa, Ianoa Island was an amazing place to live. My power made it that way. Now that I am free, I can fulfill my true destiny by bringing peace to two entire worlds!”
 
“And for your assistance in our noble effort,” Mother offered, “You can serve just below me in our new world order.”
 
Each of the Titans sported a stunned look, but in only a second it fell from Robin's face as he pulled out his staff, taking a stance.
 
The red-clad man grinned. “Don't waste your breath, m'dear,” he told his love. “It appears Robin cares for his city so much that he ignores what is truly best for it.”
 
“What gives you the right to decide what's best for these people?!” Robin exclaimed. “I've seen how you Iso-jin operate! To bring about your own satisfaction you've manipulated all of us, cooperated with a madman, and pretty much displayed all the traits I know I wouldn't want to be lead by!”
 
Iso raised a white eyebrow as he chuckled. “It always has taken a little work to convince the simple minded of the good I can bring.”
 
“Good?” Starfire's pupils disappeared behind a glowing display of her power. “What good can come from your badness?”
 
Dust blew from beneath the new arrival as Iso floated to the same height as the Tamaranian. “Are you trying to tell me something?”
 
“Yes!” Starbolts came to life in the alien's hands. “You are bad people!” Her hands moved in purple and orange blurs as Iso was enveloped in a green blizzard of extraterrestrial power. However, as the Starbolts collided with his body they seemed to do nothing—the man was actually smiling through the assault.
 
Suddenly it hit the boy wonder. “Wait, Star!” Robin cried. “Don't—”
 
However, the Titan's appeal was cut off as Iso disappeared in the same white flash that had twice teleported them across worlds. Instantaneously he appeared behind Starfire, grabbing her head within his massive palm and driving her into the ground.
 
“Yo dawg!” Iso looked up to see Cyborg aiming his Sonic Cannon. “That just ain't cool.” A blast of spiraling blue and white erupted from the half-robot's arm, colliding squarely with the powerhouse's chest. However, he didn't budge an inch, and the sound waves just seemed to be dispersing across his body.
 
The Great Power clapped his hands, and Cyborg was suddenly overtaken by a pulsing wave at even higher decibels, scrambling his circuits until only zeroes and ones displayed in his cybernetic eye.
 
Having brought two Titans to their knees in only seconds, Iso turned to the stunned Robin. “Impressed? You should be.”
 
The leader of the Titans just growled. “I'll be impressed when you take down somebody fighting you on even ground.”
 
Clenching his staff firmly in his hands Robin took a step forward, but he suddenly stopped in his tracks. His pupil-less white eyes grew incredibly wide as his jaw dropped past his knees.
 
“Rubber…” Robin leapt through the air as his opponent turned to see the source of the new scream, but it was too late for Iso. “…BAZOOKA!” Two open palms collided with his back, sending the new threat hurling into the far wall.
 
Monkey D. Luffy stood with both arms before him, Nami clinging to his back. “You asshole!” he screamed to Iso. “I wanted to fight the mask man!”
 
As Iso emerged from the wreckage, Luffy removed his straw hat and handed it to Nami. “Take care of this for me,” he said, and his navigator nodded, backing away slowly as she put her captain's most beloved possession upon her own head.
 
Steam flew from Mother's head as she clenched her teeth, bonfires of chi raging from her hands. Though she had known the outcome of her offer before she'd even mentioned it, the insolence of these children still enraged her beyond all belief.
 
“Stand down, m'love,” Iso said as he casually brushed some dust from his tunic. “I haven't had a chance to test my abilities for a long time now.”
 
“Killer Move…” Every head in the cavern turned towards the new voice, and they were greeted by a flaming projectile soaring towards Iso. “…Fire Star!” The powerhouse was engulfed by the flames, but only seconds later they dispersed, the white-haired man smirking as smoke flew from his body.
 
Usopp stood at one entrance to the lair, holding his slingshot high above his head. “You'll regret threatening the friends of Captain Usopp!”
 
One by one the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates and Teen Titans emerged through the entrance as the field of black that had brought them there retreated beneath Raven's cloak. “Better speak up Usopp,” Zoro grunted as he tapped the sniper with his sheath, “I don't think he can hear you over the sound of your knees shaking.”
 
“It doesn't matter if he can hear us or not,” Sanji said, smoke drifting from his cigarette. “It doesn't matter if he was warned or not!” Lifting his head, the cook had not a heart in his eye, but an expression of rage. “Anybody who hurts Nami-san or Star-kun'll end up on tomorrow's menu!”
 
Starfire squealed in delight at the sight of her friends, and arrived at their sides in a green flash. “You have all arrived alive! Glorious!” However, her expression drooped as she saw the various wounds, bruises and bandages they had collected. “You all look as if you have been attacked by a pack of angry Flemshires!”
 
However, as her friends reunited Raven was concerned with more important matters. Her empathic abilities were sensing a dangerous presence, one that she had sensed before. In a second she was gone, emerging from a black puddle in the floor next to Iso.
 
“Ah, Raven,” Iso flashed a smile as he greeted her calmly, “We meet again.”
 
“So it was you,” Raven accused. “You were the power controlling Tashigi.”
 
“Of course. The stone my love placed around her neck opened a direct connection to my power, no matter where I am—even imprisoned inside a stone. Through those stones I was easily able to control the actions of the drugged Tashigi; not only that, but they enabled me to collect the energy of you and of my love's lackeys. After I collected enough, I was easily able to destroy my prison and finally return!”
 
Raven raised an eyebrow. “And you can control our energy…how?”
 
“Yes, that would be the question of the day, wouldn't it?” As he spread his arms to the side, a red ball of energy—similar to the power from the Iso-jins' relics—sprouted in each hand. “I carry the Devil Fruit power of Konki Konki! It allows me to absorb any type of energy and then use it how I see fit!”
 
“So that explains the teleportation!” Robin exclaimed. “The records I accessed on the Stone of Iso Toa after receiving Slade's invitation told me all about the troubles the owners of that stone have had with you! Eventually you were locked away in that cave; away from anything you could possibly use to harm people, even sunlight!
 
“Us showing up was the first chance you'd had to escape in decades! Not only that, but Starfire's blast was better than anything you'd had access to before; a Starbolt had the power to bring you—”
 
“—Home” Iso interjected. “Yes, obviously I took that chance to return to my own dimension, and by a complete surprise, was brought to my own island as well. I knew my love would know I was coming, but as an assistance to her servants I used the energy from Slade's gun to signal them with a beam.”
 
Robin growled. “And attacking me with it was…”
 
“Just a little fun,” he smiled. “Plus, I had to convince Slade that my power was under his control. I know how my love thinks, and this was the perfect opportunity to claim this world as well. Hence I enabled Slade to escape, and then again brought us to this world—knowing all along my love would release me.”
 
The Boy Wonder's grip on his staff tightened. “And you came here just to make this world better, right?” he growled. “You've threatened my friends, joined forces with a madman and who knows what else, yet you expect us to believe that you have noble intentions to `save' us?
 
“We don't need saving! The people here live happy lives! They didn't ask for this world to be made perfect!” Robin paused for a breath. “From what I've seen as a Teen Titan, that world would be impossible no matter what power you had!”
 
The bewildered heroes stood behind their friend, all silent in shock. However, Iso actually cracked a full-fledged smile. “And yet, Boy Wonder, this is only one man's opinion.” Suddenly he turned towards another Titan. “You've seen the horrid state of Ianoa Island—tell me Raven, could my powers not better it?”
 
The witch was caught off guard, and though she thought knew the answer, the powerful emotions from Ian's past flooding through her head had her doubting it. If Ianoa Island had sunken to that level without Iso's rule…
 
“Anything could make that hellhole better!” Raven gasped, and turned to see Zoro answering for her. “Hell, even your followers had the power to let those people lead peaceful lives, and yet they didn't! They let them suffer because they were waiting for you! If that kind of mindless servitude is what we can expect from a world under your rule, then I agree with Robin!”
 
Luffy walked past his first mate, cracking his knuckles as he approached Iso. “We all do! After all, we're pirates!” He raised his head to reveal vengeful eyes that had only been seen once or twice before. “We follow nobody but ourselves!”
 
“Well said, for an idiot,” Cyborg smiled. The others nodded, and together stood the Straw Hat Pirates—Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji and Chopper—and the Teen Titans—Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy and Terra—steady in their defiance of the Iso-jin.
 
Iso laughed, and with the sweep of his arm he moved aside his cape and gestured towards his love. “As I said my love, this is the first chance I've had to stretch my muscles in a long, long time. Let me handle this.”
 
The woman known by the title of `Mother' nodded, leaping to the alcove above. There was not an ounce of fear in her body. The power of her Yoken Yoken fruit had allowed her to see the outcome of this battle long before it had been fought, but even if she couldn't see the future she wouldn't be afraid.
 
`The love between us has brought us this far!' she thought, tearing up. `Iso will never let his Toa down!'
 
It was—surprisingly—Usopp who made the first move, setting his sights on Iso. His tongue stuck out of the corner of his mouth as he perfected his shot, but suddenly he shifted his aim towards the ground. “Smoke Star!” The rising plume of smoke began to hide the warriors, and several more projectiles finished the job, draping the entire cavern in a haze.
 
Iso simply floated in mid-air, unconcerned with the disappearance of his enemies. After all, what could they possibly do to him? The man didn't as much as flinch as Starfire burst through the smoky veil, colliding with her opponent in mid-air.
 
Usopp span, unleashing several more smoking stars in all directions.
 
“Listen up, everybody!” Robin exclaimed. “We have to use physical attacks here! Starbolts, Sonic Blasts, even explosives will only help him!”
 
“Great,” Terra growled, “Maybe the pirates can do that, but it really puts us Titans at a disadvantage!”
 
A drop of sweat rolled down the Boy Wonder's head. “Terra? What're you doing here?”
 
The earth-mover jumped backwards, having forgotten that not everybody knew what happened. “It's a long, long story…” she sighed.
 
“Hey!” Chopper interrupted, his head half buried in his backpack. “Where's my last Rumble Ball?!”
 
“Ooops,” Beast Boy blushed. “About that…”
 
The short attention span of the Captain actually served to push the conversation back on subject. “It doesn't matter! No matter how we fight we'll just kick his—”
 
Raven appeared behind the rubberman, smacking him. “Is that your answer to everything?”
 
“He's right though,” Sanji said, tossing his cigarette aside, “With twelve against one this will be a piece of cake.”
 
Nodding in agreement, Zoro placed his third sword between his teeth.
 
“Yes, we just have to be outside of the boxes while we do our thinking!” Starfire exclaimed as she zoomed through the smoke.
 
The others were left dumbfounded. “I, I think I got that.” Cyborg stammered.
 
Backed by her incredible Tamaranian strength, Starfire's fist tore across the enemy's face. As he was pushed backwards she quickly twirled, her leg zooming into a follow-up assault. However, in a display of lightning-fast reflexes, Iso brushed her kick aside and charged forward.
 
“Even if you don't use your Starbolts,” he growled as he clenched onto her wrists, “I can still take your energy by force!” The Titan screamed as energy was sucked out of her. Luminescent green power sparked around Iso as he absorbed the tremendous power straight into his body.
 
Fortunately, Iso's feeding frenzy was cut short as a mechanical fist barreled into his face. The cult leader reeled backwards as a wire retracted the mechanical arm. Simultaneously a grappling hook sunk into the ceiling and Robin pulled himself into the air. However, the black-clad figure dashing up Cyborg's wire was faster.
 
“Concasse!” Sanji cried as he pushed off the mechanical Titan's wrist, somersaulting the rest of the way before planting his heel into Iso's head—or where his head would have been if he had not crossed his arms to block.
 
The force of the attack still sent the Iso-jin barreling towards the ground, however, his abilities over all energy allowed him to displace the damage as he landed. The ground exploded around him as he planted his feet into the dirt, but Iso himself was mostly unharmed.
 
Of course, that wouldn't last long if Robin had anything to say about it. He flipped, planted his feet against the ceiling and pushed off towards the ground. As the Boy Wonder fell he unleashed two Redbird boomerangs, which actually zoomed past Iso and left thin cuts across his arms.
 
As he neared the ground Robin pulled back his staff, swinging vertically with all his might. However, a mighty explosion of wind blew Iso backwards, although the powerhouse used his own levitation to instantly recover and return forwards. Crimson energy sparked around his fists as he swung, the entire maneuver taking away the Teen Titan's advantage as it again put him on the defensive.
 
With two skillful swings Robin deflected punches, but the third swipe from the Iso-jin shattered the weapon. Robin's jaw dropped as chunks of broken metal tumbled from his palms; he was horrified as he realized there was no way to fend off punches of that caliber bare-handed!
 
In a flash of yellow he was saved as a pillar of stone pushed Iso into the sky. However, the unorthodox weapon was easily destroyed as power exploded from the man. “Why don't you pick on somebody with a little more power?!” Terra yelled, standing before him on a floating stone.
 
“Ah yes, the traitor,” he smiled. “Do you not remember what happened last time we met?” Suddenly the golden hue created by Terra's power vanished, sending both the rock and the girl tumbling towards the ground. “I may need direct contact to steal Starfire's stored energy, but after you channel your power into the Earth it's an easy target!”
 
Terra's eyes were closed as she prepared for the worst, but instead of hitting the ground she landed on something soft. She was on the back of a green Pterodactyl! Landing, she slipped off its back as if shifted to human form.
 
“Don't worry, I've got ya,” Beast Boy smiled. “Just leave all the butt kicking to me!”
 
The object of his affection chuckled. “BB, you're such a dork.”
 
“Okay, but you'll be singing another tune in a minute!” he exclaimed as he turned into a hummingbird, zigzagging through the sky towards Iso. Despite the absurd prowess of his opponent, Beast Boy's tiny size allowed him to go unnoticed until he was above the red-clad man—at that point he became a bear and tackled Iso.
 
However, if his attack was meant to tackle Iso to the ground—and the surprised look on the green bear's face made it seem like this was the case—then it could be called a failure. The force of Iso's levitation was stronger than the changeling's lunge, and the two floated there in mid-air.
 
“You're not very smart, are you?” Iso asked smugly. Growling, Beast Boy's body stretched and fluctuated as he changed into an anaconda, hoping to constrict the powerhouse instead. However, the target of the attack just laughed. “No, you most certainly aren't.”
 
Electricity surged from the floating man's body, shocking the green boy back into his human form. As he fell towards the ground, charred and smoking, his uncontrollable descent was slowed by a small whirlwind of dust.
 
As Beast Boy made it back to his feet the dust was wiped off by a sweeping field of golden energy. “Looks like I've got you instead.” Terra laughed. “Now we're even!” The shape-shifter blushed.
 
As a final spark ran down Iso's body Raven appeared beside him, trails of white leaking from her blank eyes. “Hello, Iso. Ready to be surprised?”
 
Snickering, the white haired man simply replied, “How can you surprise me? You know my powers nullify yours.”
 
One corner of Raven's mouth curved into a tiny smile. “If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise.” Suddenly her cloak blew open, but inside was not her body, just an endless abyss of darkness.
 
“Rubber…”
 
Monkey D. Luffy exploded from the black void, both arms flailing. Iso's eyes shot wide—though he could nullify Raven's offensive abilities, she was still a portal!
 
“GATTLING!”
 
The hovering figure was barraged by a seemingly endless assault of rubber limbs as Luffy punched so fast that it seemed like he had dozens of arms. Iso was driven into the wall behind him, the force finally breaking the rubberman's attack. As Iso recovered Luffy span in mid-air, firing his elongated leg instead. “Stamp!”
 
However, Iso managed to spin past the kick, grabbing Luffy's leg as it tore into the caricature left from the last attack. With his leg unable to return, the Captain's body was instead pulled towards Iso, whom held out a fistful of sparking, crimson energy.
 
In one shot of spiraling energies Luffy was driven far into the ground.
 
Iso's gloating was cut short, however, as something landed on his back. Leaping from the top of the cliff he had just been slammed into, Nami landed atop the floating powerhouse and wrapped her legs around his waist.
 
“See, Luffy?!” she cried to her fallen teammate. She grabbed Iso's cape and pulled it over his head. “This is how you tie a knot!” Her hands moved rapidly as she tied the ends of the cape into a bow, securing it in the debilitating position.
 
Not appreciating being demeaned like that, Iso span and clenched down on Nami's neck. The navigator pulled at his hands, but with his power they were unmovable—fortunately for her, a hook suddenly clasped around the strangler's leg.
 
“Usopp's Grappling Belt!” the sniper cried as the grappling hook—attached to his flashy belt—latched to Iso. With a grunt Usopp tugged at the line, trying to pull his opponent from the air. Again, however, Iso's strength far trumped his. He moved his hand from Nami's neck to the rope, and a tug flung Usopp into the air.
 
“You two weaklings deserve each other,” Iso growled through his cape as he tossed Nami like a football. She collided with her crewmate in mid-air, but as Usopp's rope reached its limit he snapped forward, leaving them in the dangerous attack range.
 
Just in time a Starbolt severed the grappling line, and Starfire caught both the pirates far before they reached the ground. Meanwhile, flames erupted from Iso, disintegrating both his cape and the remains of Usopp's grappling hook but leaving the rest of him—naturally—unharmed.
 
This perceived aura of invulnerability served Iso well as the earth-shaking cry of a green Tyrannosaurus Rex echoed behind him; he barely seemed affected as he span, grasping Beast Boy's snout with both hands. The sky around the Iso-jin rippled as he struggled to hold the dinosaur back, but even as he put forth this effort crimson energy sparked from his palms and enveloped the Titan.
 
“Surviving the Ehedren armor was quite a feat, but let's see how you manage when you're trapped inside it!” The crimson lightning surrounded Beast Boy, collecting into a bubble before suddenly contracting. Only a moment later he was encased in a layer of red rock—identical to the stone that made up the Iso-jin relics and the Stone of Iso Toa itself.
 
Both Zoro and Terra were at the feet of the new statue. “It's the same as that stupid boat,” Zoro growled.
 
“And that means I can't affect it,” Terra sighed, “But there are other ways to save him!”
 
Meanwhile, a raven-shaped pool of black appeared on the ceiling. This time Iso knew what to expect, but that didn't necessarily mean he could counter the empath's next passengers—each unleashing mighty screams, Cyborg, Sanji and Chopper fell from the portal.
 
Flames poured from a booster in Cyborg's shoulder, propelling him into a vicious spinning punch. Sanji's foot became limp as he lashed it above his head and toward his opponent. Chopper shifted to his massive human form, pulling both arms behind his head and chopping both into Iso's chest. The powerhouse became nothing more than a red meteor as he soared into the floor.
 
Yellow energy poured from Terra's arms like steam as she focused on shifting the floor from beneath Beast Boy. “That would be quite unnecessary,” a voice behind her said.
 
“Beast Boy!” the earth mover exclaimed, spinning to see her green teammate. “How…”
 
Patting his hand on his chest, Beast Boy bragged, “It's hard to trap a shapeshifter. I shrank down to a gopher and dug under the wall. Can't be owing you any more favors now, can I?”
 
While Terra was amused by the other Titan's ingenuity, Zoro had completely ignored the rescue effort and instead dashed towards the still-recovering Iso. “Oni Giri!”
 
The green haired boy's swords uncrossed, but only clashed against another force. Iso emerged from the wreckage, a blade of crimson stone protruding from each arm.
 
“Well, this makes the game more interesting,” Zoro smiled. His opponent swung wide as the pirate lifted both swords above his head. “Tora Gari!” The two blades snapped down into the red weapon, and Roronoa Zoro used the force to somersault above the slash. Iso's other arm was already thrusting forward, but those two same swords fended off the assault, sending the former bounty-hunter spiraling past the deadly attack.
 
“Tou Rou Nagashi!”
 
Zoro now stood behind Iso, streams of wind blowing past the two, and blood exploded from an `X' shaped wound on his chest.
 
“So, you aren't completely invulnerable,” Zoro smiled. “Good to know.”
 
“Maybe I'm not,” Iso began without a drop of fear, “But I certainly have enough power for it not to mean my defeat!”
 
Suddenly, a cry came from above them. “But can you stop both our blades?!”
 
Robin fell from the sky, one Redbird boomerang in each hand. He snapped the weapons together and pressed a button; the two projectiles amazingly transformed into a red and yellow sword.
 
Impressed, Zoro raised an eyebrow. “Nice.”
 
Then both fighters were off, the three figures and six blades becoming a blur of colors and metallic echoes as they fended each other off. Zoro's three swords uncrossed, creating a gust of wind that sent Iso reeling backwards. Robin took advantage of this, whirling towards his staggering opponent. However, despite any lack in swordsmanship skill on Iso's part, his overwhelming strength still allowed one swing of his weapon to completely blow the Boy Wonder away.
 
Turning his fall to his advantage, Robin skidded across the floor. Digging the side of his boot into the ground he carved into a spin, and as he turned towards Iso he sent his blade flying. The weapon spiraled towards his opponent, who noticed it only at the last second.
 
However, despite hitting Iso square in the stomach Robin's blade only shattered. The man's entire body was now covered in that same strange rock. Crossing his arms, twin beams of crimson zapped the Titan and Zoro as well.
 
“That armor's bad news!” Chopper exclaimed, memories of his fight with Ivan fresh in his mind. “The fact that he can move in it means it's weaker than Ivan's was, but it might be more dangerous offensively!”
 
“Yeah, I noticed.” Cyborg grumbled. Boosters in both of his feet flared as he exploded forward. “Let's take care of it then!”
 
The mechanical Titan's fist tore into the armor, but his metallic hand was the only thing crumpling. Just a quick slash later and Cyborg was out of the picture for the moment.
 
“Chopper,” Sanji began, “It's going to take everything we've got to break that armor.” The reindeer nodded. “Ready?”
 
“You bet!” Chopper exclaimed as Sanji leapt into the air, one foot landing in the doctor's massive human palm.
 
“SanjCho…”
 
The pirate tossed Sanji like a baseball. The chef whirled into a helicopter kick, becoming a blur as he spiraled through the air.
 
“…Quasi Queue…”
 
His one leg became completely invisible just before it was planted in Iso's protected face.
 
“…Shuuto!”
 
With a resounding crunch the stone between the cook's foot and the Iso-jin's face shattered, the entire armor crumbling as Iso himself soared backwards. Sanji, meanwhile, fell to the ground, his leg bending in directions it never had before.
 
A black puddle besides the fallen chef shaped into a human form, and the emerging Raven placed her hands over Sanji's chest. He groaned in pain as her healing abilities slowly reshaped his leg and the broken bones within.
 
She fell to her knees as she finally finished the job, sweat trickling down her grey skin. “There,” Raven gasped, “the fractures should be healed now, but you're not well enough to fight yet.”
 
“No, I have to—”
 
Before he could even voice his objections Sanji was carried to the far wall by a field of black. Raven waved her fingers as a cigarette and a match emerged from his jacket; her dark energies placed the death-stick between his lips and lit it. “You've done enough,” the Titan smiled. “Take a break.”
 
“Killer Move Pachinko Star!” Meanwhile, the little steel ball soared into the face of Iso, landing directly between his eyes. The projectile fell, having left absolutely no signs of damage on its target.
 
Crimson energy leapt to life in the Iso-jin's palm and Usopp panicked, screaming like a girl as he leapt behind Terra.
 
His blonde love grunted as she pushed him ahead of her. “Don't hide! If I can't fight him then you're going to have to!”
 
A column of earth propelled the sniper into the air; however, Usopp was just realizing that he wasn't protected anymore. His eyes stretched from their sockets like they were made of rubber as he realized what she was doing.
 
Iso's mouth began to show a small smile as he thrusted his hand forward. `They don't know how easy they make it,' he thought as Terra's energy was absorbed into his body, leaving the rock below Usopp powerless.
 
Screaming, Terra lifted an entire row of rocks, each one catching the liar and propelling him forward before being grounded. As Usopp grew close he finally leapt off the rock, pulling his sling back as he jumped. Finally he had made a plan.
 
“Killer Move,” a bullet was shot from his slingshot as Usopp began to descend. “Pachinko Star!”
 
“Again?” Iso asked, raising an eyebrow. “What, did you run out of ammunition? Or do none of your abilities work against me?
 
Suddenly the new attack exploded into a barrage of L-Shaped shuriken—his Shooting Stars technique. Not even the mighty Iso-jin leader could do anything as they impaled him, each one imbedding itself in the powerhouse's chest.
 
However, the man just grunted as sparks of energy destroyed the imbedded objects. Glaring down towards his opponent, who had landed on another rock, he asked, “What was that?”
 
“A new type of Pachinko!” Usopp proclaimed.
 
“No it's not!” Nami yelled from a hiding spot. “He's just a compulsive liar, even when he fights!”
 
He grunted as the thought of destroying the coward crossed his mind, but something moving towards him ended that train of thought. Iso just barely managed to lean behind a sword swipe as Zoro flew above him, propelled by a field of black surrounding his clothes.
 
Raven's aid disappeared as the green-haired swordsman fell towards his opponent, spinning his swords until they created a sphere-like barrier of slashes around him. “Karasumagari!”
 
Having been given advance notice of the attack from Zoro's first slash had allowed Iso time to grow new blades, and sent himself as well into a dizzying spin. The two spiraling figures drove each other into the ground, still trading vicious slashes that never landed.
 
Suddenly, a reindeer ran into Iso's side, pushing him from the fight and into the arms of a green gorilla. Cyborg appeared behind him, putting the powerhouse into a choker hold. Chopper shifted to his human form and grabbed Iso's mouth, pulling it open.
 
Roronoa Zoro raised a confused eyebrow. “What the hell are you guys doing?”
 
“We've got'im!” Chopper exclaimed, ignoring his crewmate's question.
 
“Good! It's time for Captain Usopp's Killer Move…” Unleashing yet another shot, this time a small red projectile flew from the liar's slingshot and went straight down Iso's open throat.
 
“…Habanero Pepper Star!”
 
The movement of Iso's Adam's apple made it obvious he had swallowed the burning pepper, but he showed no ill effects. Laughing, he thrusted his arms to the side—breaking his opponents' holds—and sent them flying with a blast of his trademark power.
 
As his tumbling body finally came to rest, an extremely battered Usopp just asked pitifully, “Why didn't it work? That was one of the hottest peppers known to man!”
 
Iso licked his lips. “I like spicy food.”
 
Cyborg finally landed as well, coming to a stop besides Robin. The Boy Wonder was still catching his breath, down on one knee.
 
“You okay?” Cyborg asked, concerned to see his gung-ho leader so beat.
 
“Yeah,” he sighed, “But I don't know how long it'll last. We've lost our advantage! Nami can't fight, Chopper's out of Rumble Balls, Usopp can't have any more tricks, Sanji's out of commission, and the offensive abilities of Starfire, Raven and Terra are useless to us! How much can the rest of us do after the damage we've taken?!
 
“Plus, look at him! Iso hasn't gone on the offensive once! He's just been waiting to counter our attacks and collect our energy all this time! If he really wanted to, he could tear probably tear us apart!”
 
His mechanical teammate's jaw fell. “You're right man. We need a miracle.”
 
“No,” Robin interjected, “I just need a plan!
 
“Rubber Pistol!”
 
Iso looked to the sky and smiled, easily sliding behind Monkey D. Luffy's elongated arm. The rubberman's fist tore into the ground, and digging his fingers into the dirt he easily pulled himself towards his opponent.
 
“Spear!” Luffy cried as he launched both of his legs—feet positioned side by side—and actually managed to kick Iso square in the face. The Captain flipped upside-down as both of his arms hit the ground, and he contorted his elastic body so that his legs flipped around beneath his arms and straight towards the crimson-clad villain. “Rubber Roller Coaster!”
 
The second attack only grazed the Iso-jin, sending him veering to the side. Luffy, meanwhile, somersaulted into the air and span. “Rubber…FIREWORKS!” Arms and legs came went flying from the spinning rubberman, shooting randomly in all directions. Iso grinned as he easily weaved between them until finally grabbing a leg—this instantly halted Luffy's spin, allowing his opponent to get his other leg too.
 
“Looks like I've got you trapped!” Iso yelled.
 
“No!” Luffy argued. “You're right where I want you!”
 
The pirate span until his body was curled like a spring.
 
“Rubber…”
 
Suddenly he began to unwind, and as he pushed his body backwards the spinning Iso-jin was now whirled through the air, still trapped between Luffy's legs.
 
“…Grand…”
 
Still being span as if he was in a dryer, Iso was suddenly pile-driven into the ground as Luffy's attack made a complete arc.
 
“…Mallet!”
 
Luffy's legs retracted as he span backwards, finally returning to normal with a snap as he landed. “Get up you bastard!” he commanded. “I've still got ass-kicking to do! I'm gonna beat you!”
 
Yellow energy—energy stolen from Terra—moved aside the rocks covering the crater Luffy's last attack had created. Iso floated from it, battered but not showing a sign of feeling the damage. However, his face finally displayed something other than disgustingly high confidence. To put it in language even his attacker would understand: Iso was pissed.
 
“Beat me?!” he asked indignantly. “Impossible. Even the twelve of you have barely done anything to me. I am invincible, boy. Only one man has even come close to beating me!”
 
Iso's white eyebrows furrowed as he thought of that horrible man. “Damn that cheater, Gold Roger…”
 
Luffy's jaw literally dropped to the floor. “Gold…Roger?”
 
“Okay, just when I thought I was officially caught up, I'm all confused again,” Cyborg complained.
 
“Who is the Gold Roger?” Starfire asked.
 
Nami emerged from her hiding spot, as shocked as her captain. “The man who had everything…the original owner of the One Piece,” she whispered under her breath.
 
“Gold Roger was the last King of the Pirates!”
 
Next Time: The Man Who Almost Had Everything—The Rise and Fall of Iso and Toa