One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Daughter of the Sea and Music ❯ Daughter os the Sea and Music ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On an uncharted island, some where in the Grande Line, a small one man boat landed. Several of the men on the island looked up from what they were doing and swallowed, hard. Many of them dropped what ever was in their hands and drew their swords; thought that was foolish, ever for a pirate. Unconcerned, a man with piercing golden eyes stepped from the one man boat; a large gold cross bumping against his chest lightly. His large black hat shielded his eyes from the noon day sun as he made his way up the beach. Around him many of the pirates questioned aloud as to why he was there. As more of them gained the courage to speak he became increasingly annoyed.
"Shut-up. I don't have any business with you. Where's your Boss?" He shouted, silencing everyone. They all stilled, barely able to keep a hold of their swords. After all it was a well known fact that it was unwise to draw a sword against Dracule "Hawk-Eye" Mihawk. While he glanced around the beach searching for the one he had come looking for, one of the pirates broke off and ran for the forest. Said pirate was hopping to warn his captain of the arrival of their guest.
He stopped just a few hundred yards in from the tree line. There, surrounded by ten to fifteen of his best men, was their captain. The captain was sitting beneath a large sun umbrella trying to recover from the effects of all the booze he had the pervious night; thus the reason behind the umbrella. His first mate glanced at shaking pirate before returning to his cigarette. There was no surprise from the others at the frightened new recruit, who was trying desperately to form two words together, and they simply ignored him. That is until they heard the soft crunch of leaves for a second time.
"Hi, Hawk-Eyes! What a surprise? I'm not in a good mood right now. Are you coming here to fight me?" Shanks asked, grinning like the devil. The recruit whipped around before giving strangled yelp and falling backwards. Some of the others started laughing while some one who stood in the shadows behind Shanks shifted slightly. Those who had seen the subtle movement stopped; leaving those who hadn't to suffer from the glare of the first mate. Hawk-Eyes simply smirked as the recruit jumped to his feet and raced to return to his duties; making sure to keep out of reach, sword or otherwise.
 
"I have given up thinking about fighting a one armed man like you for a long time," Hawk-Eyes replied as his attention returned to Shanks. Again the person behind Shanks shifted, one arm lowering to one of the daggers at their waist, already letting a soft musical note hover in the air around them. Hawk-Eyes understood the meaning behind the note and remembered a certain some ones distaste of insults towards anyone they knew. He decided to move on with why he was there in the first place. "I met some interesting pirates. And that reminded me of that story you told me a long time ago." He continued as he fished for something inside of his large black and red oriental print coat, "About one interesting kid from a little village."
Several heads shot up at once as many of Shanks men tried to get a better look at what was in Hawk-Eyes hand. Those that managed to get a glimpse of the picture stared in disbelief as it was passed to their captain. The one in the shadows leaned to their right to get a better look over Shanks shoulder. A very familiar fond laughter filled the air around all of them as the shadow moved back; their shoulders shaking slightly.
"So, you've come, Luffy!" Shanks grinned as he looked up at his crew. An enormous cheer rang out from all but two in the clearing. Lucky Roo, Yassop, and Ben quickly made their way over to their captain to see just how well Luffy was doing; each supporting their own type of grin but a grin none the less. Those grins brighten when they saw the 30 million beli count beneath the picture. "Hey! Everyone! Lets celebrate!" A few people stopped in their cheering to stare at their captain. They all knew what that meant and weren't sure what to make of it.
"You still want to drink more?" some one finally asked.
"Sure! It's a very happy day today, so we must drink. Do you want to join us Hawk-Eyes?" Shanks asked as the shadow behind him chuckled amusingly. Hawk-Eyes frowned slightly before taking up a seat by Shanks. It wouldn't hurt to have few drinks and besides it would give him the perfect opportunity to speak with the shadow behind Shanks. Several of the men had gone to fetch a few barrels of sake while others still went to get some meat.
"So, who is he? I mean, the only time I've seen that glint in your eyes is when you fight Shanks," the shadow whispered. They moved so that they were leaning against the pole between Shanks and Hawk-Eyes. Shanks quietly turned his attention to the both of them as his men continued to celebrate. The master swordsmen smirked at the fact that the very person he wanted to talk to had known. Of course he shouldn't have been so surprised; said person had spent the last ten years dealing with all kinds of pirates, including him.
 
"Ah, don't be so modest Iz; he gets the same glint when he fights you, too," Shanks added in an equal whisper. Ben, who had heard his captain's comment, gave you a smirk as well. In turn, you smiled at the nick name that the crew had given you as well as the praise that your captain had given you. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Hawk-Eyes nod in agreement and sighed. When you had set out with Shanks from your home you had never dreamed that you would eventually be good enough to be a sparing partner for The Hawk-Eyes.
"His name is Roronoa Zolo and he is traveling with this kid. I've never seen such determination before," Hawk-Eyes answered. You and Shanks watched a satisfying smile spread acrossed his face. When he reopened his eyes Shanks shutter slightly and a few of the men in front of him froze at the intense gaze he was giving off. You couldn't help but laugh, your own intense grey eye sparkling with amusement. Hawk-Eyes looked up at you, freeing his prisoners as he watched you carefully. He never would have thought it was possible for a kid like you to survive the Grand Line, let alone become one of the few people who could still give him a challenge.
"Hey Izumy, you better not leave for the next couple of days," called some of the crew.
"Ya, we need you here so we can celebrate." You just shook your head as someone dashed off for the ship, knowing that they wanted you to play your wooden flute while they ate and drank. Shanks' eyes darkened and he growled causing a few of the men close to you to jump. He hated it when his own men treated you like nothing more then entertainment. <i> Great, they just had to set that button off before I left, </i> you thought with a bemused sigh. Luckily you knew just how to off set that button.
"Alright I'll play, but under one condition. One of you has to beat me in a fight. And it can't be Mihawk or the captain." The men just took one look at you and when straight back to what they had been doing. Some started claming that they had to get use to celebrating without you anyways so they might as well start now. Shanks turned to you when he heard you sigh and had to keep from laughing out loud. Completely ignoring you're soon to be ex-captain; you turned to Hawk-Eyes with the most disheartened look on your face.
"I blame you completely," you said then walked around Shanks before going to join Lucky Roo and Yassop, who had started a drinking contest. After all this wasn't just a celebration for Luffy but a good-bye for you. Soon you'd be heading out to keep your promise with your brother so for now it was time to share few more laughs with your friends.
Behind you Shanks lifted his glass to you knowing that you'd stop at nothing to help your brother achieve his dream and in achieving your own dream.