One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Drawn ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Piece, it's characters and settings, belongs to Oda Eiichirou and Shonen Jump, and are being used here without permission. Rated PG-13 for language and violence, nothing more than One Piece usually has. C&C welcomed and greatly appreciated.
 
 
 
 
Drawn
Chapter 8
 
 
Usopp's hand moved slowly, with painstaking stealth, through the bundles of cherry blossoms he and Chopper had been playing in all morning. His fingertips brushed the edge of his supply pouch buried within them. “Ha…ha ha, oops,” he laughed as he slipped his hand inside. “I guess we're not so good after all, huh? Being pirates…caught by marines….”
 
“So it would seem,” Hashiko replied coldly. “You two have been reported as crewmen of the pirate Straw Hat Luffy. Name yourselves.”
 
Chopper looked to him nervously, and Usopp chuckled weakly again. “Name ourselves?” he echoed. “Surely we're not as important as all that….”
 
“Very well.” Lieutenant Hashiko held her hand out to the side, and one of the men stepped forward to place a prepped crossbow into her grip. Usopp winced. The arrow's metal tip had a familiar sheen to it: it was Divinity, and she was aiming it at Chopper. “Then you can both die nameless.”
 
Usopp bit back a curse as the marines raised their weapons. Out of time, he drew his hand forward and with a cry let his smoke bomb explode in the center of the clearing. “Chopper, come on!” He reached through the already quickly spreading smoke to grab the reindeer's thin arm, and together they dashed toward the line of trees. With everyone distracted they might be able to push their way through the line of men, giving them just enough of a lead to make it back to the ship—
 
The sound of the crossbow being fired reached Usopp's ears just above the whistle of smoke and coughing officers, followed by Chopper's sudden yelp. Usopp cringed and tried to continue regardless, but his grip was wrenched suddenly from around Chopper's arm. “Chopper?”
 
Usopp stopped running to reach back; something that might have been his companion dashed past him, ignoring his calls. By then the smoke was already starting to clear, and he could see the marines through the trees, organizing themselves for pursuit.
 
“Damnit….” Usopp started running again, just as gunfire erupted behind him. “Chopper, hide somewhere!” he called, hoping his companion could hear him. “I'll come back for you!” Cursing under his breath he ran flat out toward the shore.
 
*****
 
Nami had thought they were doing relatively well. She had managed to disarm one of the invading marines quickly, providing Wadou with at least a sword she could use in defending from their attackers. And though the woman was old and lacking greatly in experience she certainly knew how to handle a blade—Wadou could at least keep them occupied enough for Nami to knock them out with her staff. It helped, too, that the men were unwilling to use their guns on a pair of women. If they could keep it up a while longer, she could at least slip away to prep the ship for launch. Though that would mean leaving Usopp and Chopper behind…if she could even find a way to lift the anchor herself…
 
Her plans were cut off when she heard Sanji's startled cry from the other end of the ship. She wasn't in time to see the blow—by then Sanji had already fallen back against the door to Nami's study, favoring his left leg. Both the dark-clad marines were stalking toward him, slow and careful as one might approach a cornered animal.
 
“Wadou—” Nami turned back; Wadou was just closing with another sword-bearing marine, and Nami quickly intervened to knock the man in the side of the head. He fell with a groan to the deck. “Sanji's in trouble,” she said quickly. “We need to get out to sea—we can't let them take the ship!”
 
A round of gunfire echoed out from the woods, and Nami paled as she stared off toward it. “Usopp, Chopper….” She couldn't see anything through the thick trees, but by now her stomach was twisting in anxious knots. But she wouldn't panic. There was a way out of this, and she had to find it.
 
“Luffy….” Nami took Wadou's arm; the old woman was watching her attentively. “We have to find Luffy and Robin. Do you know the Ohtori Dojo?”
 
“I don't,” Wadou admitted. “But I can look. Can you manage the ship by yourself?”
 
Nami glanced around quickly. The three remaining soldiers had turned their attention to watch Sanji fight the twins. The chef seemed to be holding his own for now but Nami could see the grimace that twisted his face whenever his left foot struck its mark. “We'll have to,” she murmured. “Go—quickly. If we can get Luffy here we'll be fine.”
 
**
 
Luffy whistled idly as he followed Robin through the back streets of Ohtori City, Snowrunner skipping alongside him. He would have liked to just go down the main roads and see more of the city, but Robin was strict when she wanted to be, and he hadn't managed to slip away yet. Snowrunner didn't seem to mind; he was happy enough to be involved in their business, and said so several times before they finally reached the dojo.
 
To Luffy's disappointment it didn't seem as if any fighting were going on when they approahced the entrance. They were halted by a pair of older boys but Luffy was recognized quickly, and shown along with his companions to Master Ohtori's chamber on the second floor. The old swordsman greeted them with surprise, and some trepidation.
 
“I didn't expect to see you in the city again,” Master Ohtori admitted, lifting a small cracker to his hair-nested friends. “There's a new reward bill out on you, or so the marines announced this morning. It'll be dangerous for you here.”
 
Luffy waved his concerns aside. “Don't worry about me. I'm just here for Zoro.”
 
“Rolonoah?” Ohtori frowned thoughtfully. “I'm afraid I haven't seen him since you all left yesterday. Is something wrong?”
 
“He's gone,” Snowrunner complained.
 
Robin took it upon herself to continue the explanation. “He left our ship last night and hasn't come back, along with Bohmer Bravis and Ghost the Third. We thought you might know something.”
 
“Bohmer Bravis?” Ohtori echoed, his expression growing serious. He glanced away. “Of course he would be here. If Magatou already is….”
 
Luffy crossed his arms behind his head. “What are you talking about, old man? You know them?”
 
“Of them,” Master Ohtori admitted. He leaned back slightly and folded his arms. “There's no harm in telling you, I suppose. You know Bohmer Bravis?”
 
“He brought me back to life,” Snowrunner said brightly. “We all ate dinner together on the ship yesterday.”
 
Ohtori frowned, though he didn't look as shocked to see a ghost standing before him as he could have been. “I see. Then I should tell you, this is not the first time Bravis has come to Oyomi. He was here once before, and nearly managed to steal both Magatou's sword and our country's own Oyomitou. With Magatou's help they made it as far as this city, but as the story goes Magatou turned on him, and the swords were recaptured.”
 
“Usopp did mention something about that,” Luffy said thoughtfully as he tried to remember exactly what. It had been something about helping Bravis get some sword he wanted, that he might have agreed to. He grinned. “Bravis must be really determined to have come back, huh? Maybe he's not so bad.”
 
“Yeah!” Snowrunner agreed happily.
 
“It's not that simple,” Ohtori interrupted their appreciation. “Magatou is dangerous—freeing him in Oyomi will only lead to bloodshed….”
 
Ohtori stopped, pushing slowly to his feet. His face had taken on a look of grave concern that gave even Luffy pause. The boy lowered his arms as he watched Ohtori pace. “Bird man? Something wrong?”
 
“There's something wrong about this,” Ohtori murmured to himself, his eyes vague. “Abuka warns me that Kurakuda may be on the move, and now Bravis and Magatou are missing. They have to be after Oyomitou…and Kurakuda itself…but then why would Abuka…?”
 
“Master Ohtori,” Robin spoke up, drawing his attention back. “I'm not from Oyomi but I know some of its history. If Ghost the Third—Magatou—is alive and well here, he will try to destroy Kurakuda, won't he?”
 
“Yes. He managed a great deal of damage the last time he was here—there's no doubt he'll be after Kurakuda, and his son.” Ohtori shook himself and continued to explain to his guests. “The Kurakuda heir is a young man named Abuka. He came to me, to warn me that his father would be taking Oyomitou, and may have something else in mind. What that might have to do with Magatou I don't know, but it is suspicious.”
 
“If Magatou knows they're going to take the sword, he may be headed there to interfere,” Robin suggested. “Aoyama has the sword now, is that right? If Kurakuda is busy fighting them for the sword, it would be ideal for Bravis to sneak in and steal it, and also for Magatou to involve himself.”
 
“Yes, you're right. If that is the case….”
 
Luffy glanced between the pair with a frown; he'd done his best to follow what they were saying, but these sorts of politics weren't exactly his specialty. “So…it's like with Crocodile,” he surmised at long last, his face screwed up in concentration. “Zoro's ghost is making them war so he can do what he wants?”
 
“Something like that,” Robin admitted grimly. “At least, it could be.”
 
“And Zoro is probably with him.”
 
“Yes, seems that way.”
 
Luffy considered this a moment longer, his eyes sharp and attentive. “So bird-man. What are you going to do about it?” he asked.
 
Ohtori straightened, meeting the boy's gaze firmly. “I have no love for the Kurakuda or Jaga clan. But Aoyama is still my brother by marriage, and I can't leave them all be.” He turned to where his prized Mugenzora was carefully wrapped and displayed, lifting it. “I will gather my warriors to fight.”
 
Luffy grinned. “Then I guess I'll come with you,” he said. “To pick up my swordsman.”
 
Ohtori smiled grimly. “I would not ask you to fight for us. This is a matter between warriors.”
 
“I owe you, right?” Luffy reminded him, pointing to his arm that still bore a bandage. “Besides, I'm just going to get Zoro. If anyone thinks they can fight me, they can try.” He turned to Robin and Snowrunner. “You two go back to the ship. Let them know what's up, and we'll meet up later.”
 
“I wanna go with you,” Snowrunner complained, poking his arm. “I want to see Zoro fight. Please, Captain?”
 
Luffy rolled his eyes. “Just go back, okay? You're fast—you can catch up with us later, if you want.”
 
Snowrunner brightened, and nodded. “Okay!” Determined to get his orders done with quickly, he snatched Robin's hand and started to drag her towards the door. “I'll be there, so keep an eye out for me!”
 
Robin allowed herself to be pulled. “Be careful, Captain,” she said over her shoulder with a smirk.
 
Luffy made a face at her, and once they were gone turned back to Ohtori. “This okay with you, birdie?”
 
Ohtori nodded as he unwrapped Mugenzora and lowered himself to his knees. “Yes. Thank you, for your help.” He motioned for Luffy to come closer. “But if we're going into battle, there's something else I need you to help me with before we go.”
 
***
 
Sanji gasped as he was thrown; he struck the wood hull hard, but managed to remain on his feet even as he felt a trickle of blood seep down the back of his head. He heard a cry above him; Nami and Wadou were on the deck just above, watching with concern. He managed to flash them a weak grin. “You ladies all right?”
 
“Sanji!”
 
Nami's expression was filled with worry, and that, somehow, encouraged him more than her cheers could have. Pushing the strength back into his throbbing leg he sprung forward onto his hands, pushing off the deck in a handspring to plant a heel in each of the twin's chests. Both gasped and fell back, but there had been less power in his left leg, and the boy who had taken it recovered more quickly than his peer. The metal scoop came rushing at Sanji again just as he was regaining his balance.
 
Sanji ducked, allowing the weapon to pass over his head. But true to their cowardly style so far the other twin had already begun an attack of his own during this distraction, and by the time Sanji realized the curved blade was already on him. Cursing, he had no choice but to shift his weight to his left, sacrificing the rubber sole of his right boot to the arching weapon. A sharp twist of his foot diverting the blade from cleaving the appendage off but he still felt the cold metal slice into the skin on the bottom of his foot—a mere centimeter or two that was preferable to losing a limb.
 
Sanji kicked out to dislodge the blade from rubber. It wasn't until then that he realized Hamono's attack had been another ploy. The scoop impacted suddenly and with force against his unguarded left shin, same as before, carrying his feet easily out from under him. Sanji gasped as a new searing of pain spread the length of his leg. He twisted, trying to draw himself up on his right, but his bleeding foot complained, distracting him long enough for the shaft of one of the staffs to smash again against him.
 
Something cracked. Sanji wasn't sure if he'd heard it clearly or was merely imagining it, but with a weak cry he crumpled to the deck. Though he was grateful the limb hadn't gone numb the pain shooting between his knee and ankle was intense. His attempts to draw himself upright only sent him flopping into the ship's hull; on his knees he had to pause, breathing hard through clenched teeth.
 
“Sanji!” To his surprise Nami dropped down suddenly before him, the wild arcs of her staff driving the pair off a few steps. She, too, was gasping for breath, though he could only see her from behind. “Stay back!” she hollered in warning. “We haven't done anything!”
 
“Miss Nami…” Sanji hissed in frustration, trying again to stand. Using the hull as support he managed to lift himself awkwardly on his right leg. His foot throbbed but he ignored it.
 
“Leave us alone,” Nami continued to huff. The twins were watching her carefully, not daring to lower their weapons though their expressions were damnnably calm. “We're not…we're not pi—”
 
“We're not the ones that killed your comrades,” Sanji interrupted her, knowing that she would regret the words she'd planned, if she said them aloud. “It was that ghost—it has nothing to do with us.”
 
“You inhabit the ship bearing the flag of pirate Straw Hat Luffy,” Hamono replied icily, twisting his staff in his grip.
 
“That is enough to execute you,” his brother added in kind.
 
Hamono shifted his stance, levying his blade at the pair. “Accept your judgment.”
 
He thrust his staff forward; at his first movement Sanji jerked Nami out of the way. He wasn't sure if he could defend from the strike but there was no way he would allow for her to take it in his place. The tip of the blade was no more than two feet away, its serrated edge pointed upward, when a form leapt down in front of the startled chef. Metal tore easily through skin and muscle. The weapon's tip, diverted downward by the fall of the intruder, cut through the woman's body cavity and split out her lower back. It was halted mere inches from Sanji's thigh.
 
Sanji gaped, though he was able to see little else than a loosening bun of coarse, gray hair, they were so close. “Granny…?”
 
“Go,” Wadou hissed, both hands clenching around the shaft of the weapon imbedded in her. He couldn't see her face but her voice was tipped with bitter humor. “I already died, a long time ago….”
 
The twins stared, just as surprised as Sanji and Nami by the woman's sudden appearance. But as Wadou began to drop to her knees Sanji knew if they waited any longer her sacrifice would be wasted. “Miss Nami—”
 
He looked just as Nami shook the anguish from her face. Her hand snapped tightly around Sanji's arm and she jerked him hard out from behind Wadou's slipping body. “Up the ladder,” she gasped out. Sanji felt a chill as he recognized her intentions: they were leaving the ship.
 
Forcing his shame for having to abandon the ship aside, Sanji clenched his jaw as he scrambled up the ladder. He was so concerned with not holding Nami back in her escape that it wasn't until he reached the top that he remembered his throbbing leg and bleeding foot. Nami caught him by the arm before he could stumble, and together they flung themselves at the ship railing. Nami's breath was quick and shallow beside him.
 
“Go.” Sanji twisted his hand in the bow of her kimono, lifting her up. Though startled, Nami hopped onto the wood. They shared a quick glance before she jumped, and he heard her hit the water a moment later.
 
Sanji glanced back. Below him, Hamono was finally wrenching his blade from Wadou's torso—her body slumped to the deck. As he watched she faded away, just as suddenly and strangely as she'd appeared, leaving not even blood. The last thing he saw of her was the subtle grin on her aged features.
 
Sanji grimaced, but by then the twins had resumed their chase. “Sorry, Granny. But…thanks.” With a deep breath to prepare himself he turned and jumped over the railing.
 
The landing was just as hard as he'd imagined it to be; even with the tide in the water only came up to his waist, and as he dropped the sudden weight on his injured leg drew a pained hiss from him. The salt water seeped into his wounded foot a moment later, burning, and before he knew it he was on his knees.
 
“Sanji.” Nami crouched beside him, and though he surrendered his arm to her in hopes of assistance, she held him still. “Don't move,” she whispered, soaked and shivering just slightly.
 
“Miss Nami…?” Sanji lifted his head. He'd been about to tell her to run, to leave him if need be, but was silenced by the sound of approaching footsteps through the water. He looked to find them surrounded by several marines, Lieutenant Hashiko herself at the center.
 
“I think that's about enough,” Hashiko muttered, glaring them down.
 
**
 
“What are you thinking?”
 
Zoro glanced up, and frowned to find himself face to face with Ghost the Third. The ghost hadn't improved at all in manners so far, though his spirits seemed higher now that they'd met up with the remainder of his clan. The men were huddled nearby, cleaning and sharpening weapons, dressing themselves in their enemy's colors. Bravis was among them, helping one of the men tighten the bands on his sword handle. He was enjoying himself far too much for Zoro's taste.
 
“Well?” Ghost tilted his head to the side. “How's it look?”
 
“It looks like they'll spot us before we get anywhere close,” Zoro muttered. The two dozen members of the Jaga clan, as well as their few additions, had gathered on a hill overlooking the valley in which Aoyama Dojo was nestled. The forest had been cleared for a good fifty feet beyond the dojo perimeter, so that the men in the two watchtowers were granted a wide view around them. Approaching unseen would be nearly impossible.
 
“They will, won't they?” Ghost chuckled, unconcerned. “Good. They'll have a good view of `Kurakuda' coming to slaughter them.”
 
“Isn't this a little too ironic?” Zoro muttered. He crossed his arms as he watched unsuspecting dojo. “Betraying Kurakuda with the help of a member of their own family. It's not familiar to you?”
 
When he glanced back Ghost was glaring at him coldly, but he didn't try to escape his gaze. Ghost snorted. “This is revenge, Rolonoah. That's the point.”
 
Zoro smirked humorlessly; he shouldn't have expected Ghost to consider his actions as “justice” or anything resembling honor. “Well, whatever. Just remember you promised me their master.”
 
“You'll have him.” He turned, stalking off to rejoin his clan.
 
Zoro turned back toward the dojo, wondering again if he should bother to continue with them any longer. As he considered, he felt a sudden chill run from his fingertips up the length of his arm. He hadn't realized it, but he'd had his hand against his sword hilt. The metal was cold against his palm; it almost seemed to quiver, and then everything was normal again.
 
Zoro frowned, pulling his hand slowly away from the sword. “Wadou…?”
 
A commotion from the other end of the camp drew his attention; someone was coming out of the trees, a tall, toned young man with odd hair—already dressed in Kurakuda's colors. His eyes swept over the small camp with cold approval.
 
“My father is on his way,” he reported. His gaze met Ghost's briefly, and they exchanged a long, heavy stare. “Timing is crucial. Be ready.”
 
“Of course,” Ghost said lowly. “Same to you.”
 
The young man didn't respond, turning instead to look over the men once more. His gaze lingered on Bravis before sliding to Zoro and there pausing. There was something hard in his eyes that made Zoro's hand curl against his sword. He had a feeling that he might have to deal with this new man, too, before the end.