Original Stories Fan Fiction / Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Reverie ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
2
For what seemed like a few hours, I stayed unconscious. Occasionally, I would wake up, only to be too disoriented to think straight, and pass out again immediately after, not knowing where I was. I finally managed to wake up, and stay awake for more than just a few seconds. The first thing I noticed when I regained consciousness, was the rhythmic beating of a heart monitor coming from my right. I slowly opened my eyes and saw the familiar pale green walls of the hospital a few minutes away from my new house. I was in a fairly large room, with many other gurneys, all of which were unoccupied. My bed was right next to a large window that faced into the city, it was starting to get dark outside. The room itself was fairly high up, and I wondered if I was in the Intensive Care room.

To my left, I saw my mother, Sophia. She was a fragile women in her forties and always had a tendency to overreact about everything - at least I knew where I got that gene from. She had her head down and was muttering a prayer. In one hand, she held tightly onto mine, and in the other, she had a dark green rosary. She always was a religious person.

Next to my mom was my twin brother, Alex. He had exactly the same features as me; light brown, almost hazel, eyes, matching light brown hair and a clean-cut face with sharp features. All my friends think he’s attractive; I think he’s my brother. He was silently reading a book, he nor my mother noticed that I had woken up.

At this time, I noticed my own physical state. I had several bandages wrapped around my head, though, surprisingly, I wasn’t in any pain.
‘Probably the pain killers’ I thought.
Other than my head, nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

As I assessed myself more thoroughly, I noticed that to my right, was my older sister, Kayla. She was tall and slim and had features similar to me and Alex. She rarely spent time at home because of all of the parties she attended; so rarely home, that I never actually got a chance to really know her. She seemed to have noticed that I woke up, but kept quiet about it. She looked a little disappointed, probably upset by the fact that I was still alive. She always hated me. The moment our eyes met, she looked away and out the window.

I decided that I should probably speak up that I was alright - and alive; I had no idea just how long I had been unconscious.
“Mom?” I said. My voice sounded hoarse and I barely heard myself. My mom heard, though.
“Alexia?! Oh, thank goodness you’re alright!” My mom practically shouted. I was thankful no one else was in the room. Some patients would have suffered heart attacks from that sudden outburst.
“Yea, I’m okay.” I said, as I tried to clear my throat. Alex was leaving the room, probably to tell the nurse or doctor that I finally woke up. Which made me curious;
“By the way, what happened…? How long have I been unconscious?” I asked. My voice was beginning to sound normal.
“Your father and I found you on your bedroom floor Saturday night. There was blood still flowing from the gash on your head -” she looked like she was about to cry again “we called the ambulance as fast as we could. The doctor said it was a miracle that we found you when we did; you almost didn’t make it. Thankfully you did, and all your memories are intact, though you probably remember close to nothing now. You’ve been unconscious for almost a week.” she explained.

Suddenly, all the day’s events rushed back into my head. The lavender scent, the hand that grabbed my leg and the panic I felt. I started to panic - a different kind of panic, I wanted to tell my mom everything that had happened, to warn her that something was in that house but suddenly, the pain hit me. My head started throbbing and I thought it would split open, the way I thought that time when I hit it.

I clutched my head, willing it to stop throbbing. My mom couldn’t move, she just watched as I writhed in pain; she probably lost about thirty years off her life because of me. For the first time, since I woke up, my sister said something;
“I’ll get a nurse” she said, as she got up. For once, she looked genuinely concerned for me. I think I mistook that look of disappointment before as a look of relief; though she’d never tell me that.

A few moments after Kayla left, Alex rushed in, towing a nurse who was holding a syringe. She injected what looked like sedatives into my arm and told me to relax. I did as I was told, and I felt a wave of relief come. I was suddenly so tired that I couldn’t help but fall asleep, even though I had so much to say. My mom hummed a lullaby she used to sing to me when I was a baby. It relaxed me and I slowly succumbed to the darkness.